PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Damn, we have been reduced to this ...

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 07:54 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160516/nba-draft-lottery-lakers-waiting-hoping-for-top-3-pick

NBA draft lottery: Lakers waiting, hoping for top 3 pick: At this time of year, the Lakers’ success usually hinged on a game-winning shot or a key defensive stop in the playoffs. For the third consecutive year, however, the Lakers’ fortunes will rest on another variable. After the Lakers finished with their worst record in franchise history in back-to-back seasons, their happiness cannot rest on a championship parade as it did 16 other times. Instead, it all depends on whether a machine produces the correct four-number ping-pong ball combination

:depressed

StrengthAndHonor
05-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Wish you guys the best of luck, if it's not Simmons or Ingram the Lakers should trade it away IMO. Missing out on the Top 3 though will be a huge blow.

Thread
05-17-2016, 09:52 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160516/nba-draft-lottery-lakers-waiting-hoping-for-top-3-pick

NBA draft lottery: Lakers waiting, hoping for top 3 pick: At this time of year, the Lakers’ success usually hinged on a game-winning shot or a key defensive stop in the playoffs. For the third consecutive year, however, the Lakers’ fortunes will rest on another variable. After the Lakers finished with their worst record in franchise history in back-to-back seasons, their happiness cannot rest on a championship parade as it did 16 other times. Instead, it all depends on whether a machine produces the correct four-number ping-pong ball combination

Damn, that's the kinda negativity that we were faced with nigh on 32 years ago. 31 years ago we left the Celtics where we found 'em.

baseline bum
05-17-2016, 11:13 AM
At this time of year, the Lakers’ success usually hinged on a game-winning shot or a key defensive stop in the playoffs.

Or Dick Bavetta

Robz4000
05-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Wish you guys the best of luck, if it's not Simmons or Ingram the Lakers should trade it away IMO. Missing out on the Top 3 though will be a huge blow.

If it's not a top 3 pick they lose it iirc.

whitemamba
05-17-2016, 11:30 AM
If we keep the pick, trade that mother fucker tbh..

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:27 PM
:lol Lakers getting that #1 pick :lol. I know it's happening.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 12:30 PM
:lol Lakers getting that #1 pick :lol. I know it's happening.

Dont try to reverse jinx us, Deeps.

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Dont try to reverse jinx us, Deeps.

I don't do that. I'm reading the tea leaves. This year has sucked (well not totally - fun reg season). But SA got bounced. OKC playing above heads. Just know la is about to pile on

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
I don't do that. I'm reading the tea leaves. This year has sucked (well not totally - fun reg season). But SA got bounced. OKC playing above heads. Just know la is about to pile on

Would be nice if it happens ... even though I dont see a Towns in this draft.
Heck it would be just our luck to get the #1 pick when all we would get is a all-star caliber player MAYBE ...
But not a franchise level Durant/Adavis type ...smh

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Would be nice if it happens ... even though I dont see a Towns in this draft.
Heck it would be just our luck to get the #1 pick when all we would get is a all-star caliber player MAYBE ...
But not a franchise level Durant/Adavis type ...smh

Getting the pick is huge bc you get who you want guaranteed (right or wrong). Also it's such a big trade chip. I want la to lose the pick bad :lol

DMC
05-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Lakers definitely pulling out that #1 overall and Luke is going to be the next coming of Phil Jackson, you watch.

daslicer
05-17-2016, 12:40 PM
This years draft sucks. I never watched Simmons but I got to watch a lot of Ingram this year. He didn't really impress me as a guy who can be major star at the next level. From what I'm hearing it's Simmons and Ingram as the top 2 guys for this class and outside of that there is no great prospects.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Getting the pick is huge bc you get who you want guaranteed (right or wrong). Also it's such a big trade chip. I want la to lose the pick bad :lol

No shit, masshole I can see it in the tea leaves ...
with your "this is a big summer" takes
And "What if LA doesnt sign anyone"

We know what you want ...even if you try to hide it as genuine concern or curiosity.
Personally if durant/LeBron is not coming (they won't)
I dont want to sign any "big fish" ...
I also aint trading for dudes below Paul George level and will not overpay ...

If we keep the pick draft simmons/ingram or Dunn and then trade the part of the roster that doesnt fit later on ...

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:44 PM
I never hide what I want. I also write what I think will happen & why along with what I think should happen.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 12:46 PM
This years draft sucks. I never watched Simmons but I got to watch a lot of Ingram this year. He didn't really impress me as a guy who can be major star at the next level. From what I'm hearing it's Simmons and Ingram as the top 2 guys for this class and outside of that there is no great prospects.

Im like you I wasnt 100% sure on KAT but I knew he was the best big and player in last year's draft.
Simmons and Ingram are not KAT I think they may not even be as good as Wiggins tbh ...

Bad year to get the top pick tbh
I dont see either guy leading a legit title contender as a #1 ...
Same as russ and Oak last year ...they are #2 at best

KAT was the only legit #1 of the past 3 drafts but I hope to God I am wrong ...

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:49 PM
This seems like a draft that is heavy on contributing talent & low on stardom. But I don't know. I struggle badly projecting college to pro mostly because I watch very little (and bc it's just hard as sh*t).

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:49 PM
This seems like a good draft to trade back in. But you know LA going for Paul George or Boogie with this pick.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 12:51 PM
This seems like a draft that is heavy on contributing talent & low on stardom. But I don't know. I struggle badly projecting college to pro mostly because I watch very little (and bc it's just hard as sh*t).

I used to be good but as I have gotten older watch a lot less college ...
But since the Lakers have sucked 3 years running I have watched a lot of KAT/Oak/Wiggins/Randle/simmons/Ingram/winslow/embiid and of course the Bruins (like Lavine)...
KAt was the only CLOSE to a sure thing in these past few drafts.

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:53 PM
KAT is my new man crush. I don't see a KAT here but most every draft surprises down the road.

Clipper Nation
05-17-2016, 12:54 PM

The Kobe Effect

Thread
05-17-2016, 01:20 PM
I never hide what I want.

I taught you that.

Me

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 01:21 PM
KAT is my new man crush. I don't see a KAT here but most every draft surprises down the road.

Fair enough and I hope the Lakers will be patient ...
But who knows?!

But since you think that way why so quick to judge the Lakers young players ...hmmm?

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Because I saw them play vs NBA talent.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Because I saw them play vs NBA talent.

That still conflicts what you said about it takes some time ... but whatever.

05-17-2016, 02:17 PM

"Clippers fan"

:lol

ambchang
05-17-2016, 02:34 PM
I am not entirely sure if the Lakers fan learned anything from Dirk, Curry and Durant, and it's that you don't need the #1 pick for the best player in the draft. Sure having the #1 pick helps, but with proper management, the right training, fitting a talent within a system, getting the right system, and acquiring the right team, you don't need the #1 pick to be a title contender.

Which is the bigger problem for the Lakers.

DMC
05-17-2016, 04:20 PM
"Clippers fan"

DMC
05-17-2016, 04:22 PM
I am not entirely sure if the Lakers fan learned anything from Dirk, Curry and Durant, and it's that you don't need the #1 pick for the best player in the draft. Sure having the #1 pick helps, but with proper management, the right training, fitting a talent within a system, getting the right system, and acquiring the right team, you don't need the #1 pick to be a title contender.

Having the 1st overall pick gives you a better chance of getting the player you want, and trading the 1st overall is exponentially better than trading the 2nd overall. If you can make a good pick at 2 or lower, you can make the same pick at 1. You always want 1.

ambchang
05-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Having the 1st overall pick gives you a better chance of getting the player you want, and trading the 1st overall is exponentially better than trading the 2nd overall. If you can make a good pick at 2 or lower, you can make the same pick at 1. You always want 1.

Not disputing that.

But not getting 1 doesn't mean you don't get the best in the draft. What comes after is just as important.

Point being, no matter where the lakers draft, they won't get the best player in the draft because their development is horrible.

Buddy Mignon
05-17-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm going to be pissed if we don't get a top 3. They owe us from the Paul scam.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 04:59 PM

1. Durant was a pick that I called ...me over the precious Oden.
2. Dirk was a home-run but give me a break ...dirk had a drive to be great. RC helped unlock the team's potential and I love him but he gets no real credit for Dirk's development and I give minimal credit to the Dallas front office (post trade) except for Cuban's unwillingness to part with him. He had his own shooting coach and it's not like they he only played for RC his whole career.
3. Let's see Blake Griffin, KAT, Adavis etc. were all top selections and Durant would have been except the league continues to gamble on flawed bigs.
4. What was LAkers fans supposed to learn? Wanting the top pick makes sense. Counting/Hoping to unearth Curry, Kiwi, Kobe outside of the top 10 is more foolish than nabbing a the guys i mentioned even if you have to factor busts like Olowakandi and the Bennett kid you are better off picking first. In fact, IIRC you were the one that posted the stats of #2 picks that flopped prior to last year's draft :lol So If I use your own data of course it makes sense to get the best players possible.
5. Like Deeps said if you pick #1 you can go with your top guy even if you are wrong like Portland and live with it ...

Lakers have plenty of problems.
But as Jerry West said when Luke was hired ...lack of talent is chief among them.
Getting a top pick is a way to infuse talent it is on the coaching staff and front-office to develop it.

Not sure why wanting a top pick means that Lakers fans havent learned anything.

DMC
05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Not disputing that.

But not getting 1 doesn't mean you don't get the best in the draft. What comes after is just as important.

Point being, no matter where the lakers draft, they won't get the best player in the draft because their development is horrible.

It could very well mean that you don't get the best in the draft. Having lower odds to get the same guy is always worse than having higher odds. You might still get him, but you don't have the fortune of hindsight when you pick your next Greg Odom (or Kawhi Leonard). You just evaluate and pick who you think you need. The Lakers needed Russell I suppose.

baseline bum
05-17-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm going to be pissed if we don't get a top 3. They owe us from the Paul scam.

You still owe them for the Game 6 2002 scam

DMC
05-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Lakers are fortunate they didn't get Chris Paul. They'd be in even worse shape.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 05:14 PM
Not disputing that.

I dont disagree that their talent development has plenty to prove but let's be real they haven't had a lot of talent to develop because they constantly traded their picks. Clarkson developed fine, so did Bynum. (sad we have to go that far back but we just dont value draft picks) Because we actually had a young player to develop the Lakers problem is not about not developing players their problem is actually not having the patience to do so.

BTW Is KAT getting some type of magical development sauce from Minny that Rubio, Johnny Flynn, Wesley Johnson etc did not get? Or could it be that KAT is a special talent and that he could flourish despite Minny having a shitty history of developing talent?

I am not saying a great front-office and staff like State, SAS or even OKC doesnt help.
But was Lebron on a team with a track-record of great player development?
what about Durant with the Sonics?
Davis with the Pelicans?

When you get special talent they will develop (eventually) despite teams not being great at it. that is what great players do. Having a great staff can accelerate the process ...but you still need the talent.

Or do you think spurs/state could get something out of the bennett kid from UNLV?:rollin

ambchang
05-17-2016, 05:43 PM
1. Durant was a pick that I called ...me over the precious Oden.
2. Dirk was a home-run but give me a break ...dirk had a drive to be great. RC helped unlock the team's potential and I love him but he gets no real credit for Dirk's development and I give minimal credit to the Dallas front office (post trade) except for Cuban's unwillingness to part with him. He had his own shooting coach and it's not like they he only played for RC his whole career.
3. Let's see Blake Griffin, KAT, Adavis etc. were all top selections and Durant would have been except the league continues to gamble on flawed bigs.
4. What was LAkers fans supposed to learn? Wanting the top pick makes sense. Counting/Hoping to unearth Curry, Kiwi, Kobe outside of the top 10 is more foolish than nabbing a the guys i mentioned even if you have to factor busts like Olowakandi and the Bennett kid you are better off picking first. In fact, IIRC you were the one that posted the stats of #2 picks that flopped prior to last year's draft :lol So If I use your own data of course it makes sense to get the best players possible.
5. Like Deeps said if you pick #1 you can go with your top guy even if you are wrong like Portland and live with it ...

Lakers have plenty of problems.
But as Jerry West said when Luke was hired ...lack of talent is chief among them.
Getting a top pick is a way to infuse talent it is on the coaching staff and front-office to develop it.

Not sure why wanting a top pick means that Lakers fans havent learned anything.

Didn't say the lakers shouldn't want the first pick. Just saying the lakers will just screw up with a higher position.

ambchang
05-17-2016, 05:44 PM
It could very well mean that you don't get the best in the draft. Having lower odds to get the same guy is always worse than having higher odds. You might still get him, but you don't have the fortune of hindsight when you pick your next Greg Odom (or Kawhi Leonard). You just evaluate and pick who you think you need. The Lakers needed Russell I suppose.

The lakers would have screwed up if they had curry Durant and dirk. They don't develop people anymore.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 06:00 PM
What happened to you tbh?
You decided to fall off a cliff the same tine as Timmy?
Talk about a fan ...

daslicer
05-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Im like you I wasnt 100% sure on KAT but I knew he was the best big and player in last year's draft.
Simmons and Ingram are not KAT I think they may not even be as good as Wiggins tbh ...

Bad year to get the top pick tbh
I dont see either guy leading a legit title contender as a #1 ...
Same as russ and Oak last year ...they are #2 at best

KAT was the only legit #1 of the past 3 drafts but I hope to God I am wrong ...

Obviously if your going to get the 1 pick you hope its a year where there is a immediate superstar ala Shaq,Lebron,Duncan but that's rare. Those drafts come around every 5-7 years. The second scenario that is ideal is to draft a player who is all-star caliber and is a year or two away from breaking out ala Durant,Carter. The third scenario is drafting a guy who has great potential and can be a superstar in a few years but is very raw ala Kobe,Dirk, and I would say Porzingis looks like he's going to be in the category. The 4th scenario is drafting a guy like Okafor who will have immediate impact as a good player but probably will never be great. The 5th scenario is you luck out and draft a player who you thought was going to be good but turns out to be an all-time great ala Nash,Curry. The 6th scenario is the worst you end up drafting in a terrible draft ala 2000 NBA draft and only end up with a solid player like Kmart, Mike Miller. I feel this year's draft is the 6th scenario which makes it suck.

Killakobe81
05-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Obviously if your going to get the 1 pick you hope its a year where there is a immediate superstar ala Shaq,Lebron,Duncan but that's rare. Those drafts come around every 5-7 years. The second scenario that is ideal is to draft a player who is all-star caliber and is a year or two away from breaking out ala Durant,Carter. The third scenario is drafting a guy who has great potential and can be a superstar in a few years but is very raw ala Kobe,Dirk, and I would say Porzingis looks like he's going to be in the category. The 4th scenario is drafting a guy like Okafor who will have immediate impact as a good player but probably will never be great. The 5th scenario is you luck out and draft a player who you thought was going to be good but turns out to be an all-time great ala Nash,Curry. The 6th scenario is the worst you end up drafting in a terrible draft ala 2000 NBA draft and only end up with a solid player like Kmart, Mike Miller. I feel this year's draft is the 6th scenario which makes it suck.

Not 100% sold on Porzy ...
I THINK HE could be very good
But also get a oft injured great when healthy vibe a la rik smits
We will see

ambchang
05-18-2016, 05:38 AM
I dont disagree that their talent development has plenty to prove but let's be real they haven't had a lot of talent to develop because they constantly traded their picks. Clarkson developed fine, so did Bynum. (sad we have to go that far back but we just dont value draft picks) Because we actually had a young player to develop the Lakers problem is not about not developing players their problem is actually not having the patience to do so.

BTW Is KAT getting some type of magical development sauce from Minny that Rubio, Johnny Flynn, Wesley Johnson etc did not get? Or could it be that KAT is a special talent and that he could flourish despite Minny having a shitty history of developing talent?

I am not saying a great front-office and staff like State, SAS or even OKC doesnt help.
But was Lebron on a team with a track-record of great player development?
what about Durant with the Sonics?
Davis with the Pelicans?

When you get special talent they will develop (eventually) despite teams not being great at it. that is what great players do. Having a great staff can accelerate the process ...but you still need the talent.

Or do you think spurs/state could get something out of the bennett kid from UNLV?:rollin

Minny, pelicans aren't going anywhere. Sure KAT and Davis looks great but their team still isn't contending, which is the point of having a top flight player.

Durant joined when the sonics just started getting new management, since then they had Westbrook, ibaka, and harden,all flourished. Even Steven Adams is doing well.

As for the lakers. Not having the patience is pretty much the same. You get top talent the. They go elsewhere. Clarkson in LA is simply the tallest midget, and Bynum very much got the life suck out of him when he was in LA