PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: Player Improvement

Shane27
05-17-2016, 11:46 AM
In your opinion, what is the easiest facet of the game for a player to work on? I personally think it is shooting. It is one movement, and can be practiced quite easily. Guys like Kidd have shown huge jumps in their shooting. From the college level to the NBA there have been many players that have improved dramatically as well, even with the increased distance. This includes guys like Ariza, Mills, bradly beal, and Kawhi. A friend of mine tried to tell me playmaking/distribution is easier to improve than shooting, and his only example was Westbrook. I think that he always had elite court vision, but simply made a conscious decision to pass more. He got ridicule for being a ball hog, and he probably realized the team is better when he passes a bit more. The Thunder roster was also a dumpster fire in 08-09 when he averaged under 6 assists per game. That, coupled with him being a rookie, is also why his assists were so low then. Any takes?

DMC
05-17-2016, 12:20 PM
^post Lebron Heat alt fresh out of the blister pack.

Shane27
05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
^post Lebron Heat alt fresh out of the blister pack.

I'm not an alternate account lol. I've been a heat fan since D Wade was a rookie. That's when I first started watching the NBA, and he was my favorite player then.

DMC
05-17-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm not an alternate account lol. I've been a heat fan since D Wade was a rookie. That's when I first started watching the NBA, and he was my favorite player then.
It's ok. There are plenty Lakers fans here who only got inspired to join post Pau Gasol. They've been Lakers fans for a long time. Like them, your monster acquisition inspired you to come here and register to post your thoughts.

This OP of yours is how you reintroduce a dusty old alt just in case.. but if you say so. Besides, you're season is over anyhow.

Conditioning, dribbling, shooting, defense, team play.

Shane27
05-17-2016, 12:45 PM
It's ok. There are plenty Lakers fans here who only got inspired to join post Pau Gasol. They've been Lakers fans for a long time. Like them, your monster acquisition inspired you to come here and register to post your thoughts.

This OP of yours is how you reintroduce a dusty old alt just in case.. but if you say so. Besides, you're season is over anyhow.

Conditioning, dribbling, shooting, defense, team play.

you're reaching for something that isn't here lol. I discovered this forum around the time we got leBron. I posted sparingly then too.

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:47 PM
I think defense. Shooting is definitely something you can see sizable improvement as well but to me defense is something that if worked & coached you can see nice lift.

Shane27
05-17-2016, 12:48 PM
I think defense. Shooting is definitely something you can see sizable improvement as well but to me defense is something that if worked & coached you can see nice lift.
Definitely is close with shooting. Only thing is defense can be limited by athletic ability.

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Definitely is close with shooting. Only thing is defense can be limited by athletic ability.

For sure it can - buy with just understanding team defense concepts & working on fundamentals you can become servicable

Shane27
05-17-2016, 01:04 PM
For sure it can - buy with just understanding team defense concepts & working on fundamentals you can become servicable

Agreed. any opinion on my debate with my friend? Concerning Westbrook

DPG21920
05-17-2016, 01:08 PM
I disagree violently with your friend. Ball handling & vision are the hardest things to improve upon.

apalisoc_9
05-17-2016, 01:12 PM
I disagree violently with your friend. Ball handling & vision are the hardest things to improve upon.

Its almost impossible to ve good at ball handling of you werent at least average growing up. Ball handling is something you learn and aquire as early as Grade school.

Vision is easier to work with. A lot of times Vision is just a matter of mindset and willingness.

This was labaled as thunder so Id just like to point how great of an example the thubder are in terms of player development. They do something right there.

Thread
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
AttitudePERIOD

Shane27
05-17-2016, 01:21 PM
We went back and forth with like 40 tweets, I absolutely destroyed him. I would post them but I'd doubt anyone would want to read them.

Shane27
05-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Its almost impossible to ve good at ball handling of you werent at least average growing up. Ball handling is something you learn and aquire as early as Grade school.

Vision is easier to work with. A lot of times Vision is just a matter of mindset and willingness.

This was labaled as thunder so Id just like to point how great of an example the thubder are in terms of player development. They do something right there.

I agree. I have improved my jumper a lot over the last few years. It still isn't great, but all of my shots are at least close to going in now. I'm trying to improve my ball handling but it's so much more difficult. I do think if i had more time on my hands I could improve a decent amount though. I'm good at reading my defender, but my left hand is so weak.

ambchang
05-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Depends on what type of training you have. According to some people on this forum, modern day training will allow you to tap into this amazing depth in athletic abilities that millions of years of evolution can't even come close to. You are talking X-men type of mutation that can turn a Brian Cardinal into a Larry Bird, and a Kobe Bryant into a Michael Jordan.

05-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Well if you're talking about off ball defense then sure.

On ball defense however? Probably the hardest skill to improve next to ball handling/playmaking. It's a skill that's very dependent on a player's natural physical attributes (lateral quickness, explosiveness, arm length/height, strength, balance, etc)... Sure it can improve marginally with modern training and coaching(being taught positioning, how to force a player baseline when beat, etc) but not much.

Meanwhile shooting can be improved with coaching and repetition to get the muscle memory down. Won't be as good as curry, but you can become a respectable shooter.

05-18-2016, 04:01 PM

True. It's evident even in the NBA where these guys play ball for a living. If the skill wasn't picked up early then they'll be decent ball handlers at best in the NBA, even after being in the league for many years.