PDA

View Full Version : The Elephant in the room - POP!

Nbadan
05-20-2016, 12:25 AM
No matter what moves the Spurs make this summer, is this guy still up for job?

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M1XTr3hf--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1486951537493089063.jpg

Snaq O'Meal
05-20-2016, 12:41 AM

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M1XTr3hf--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1486951537493089063.jpg

Pop should try to acquire this guy:

https://giant.gfycat.com/EthicalDetailedHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

They have so much in common.

apalisoc_9
05-20-2016, 01:33 AM
He tries to be too cute nowadys tbh. He thinks the game revolves around him and not the players.

Mnky
05-20-2016, 01:49 AM
He's the reason Leonard stayed, LMA came and why Durant is even interested. I'll take it.

TheDoctor
05-20-2016, 08:09 AM
He's the reason Leonard stayed, LMA came and why Durant is even interested. I'll take it.
I'm not sure if Durant still interested coming here after Pop got outcoached by Billy fucking Donovan tbh.

Mal
05-20-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure if Durant still interested coming here after Pop got outcoached by Billy fucking Donovan tbh.

Wait up until this backdoor sweep by GSW

MultiTroll
05-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Careful, you might get pinked by a Popper.

MultiTroll
05-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Even if the Golden Phaggots go backdoor, why would this sway him to the Spurs?

Mal
05-20-2016, 09:39 AM

Sway him away from OKC, then it all begins.

Keepin' it real
05-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Stupid ass thread

/thread

MultiTroll
05-20-2016, 10:08 AM
:lol Keeping it Fake is not the answer.

Budkin
05-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Pop is a stubborn sob but who else can we get that's better? No one.

polandprzem
05-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Jesus Christ!

Like you never had too much wine in you veins ..

Nbadan
05-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Pop is a stubborn sob but who else can we get that's better? No one.

Not saying Pop needs to leave.....just move on up to the cozy front office spot he deserves working with Bud...

Nbadan
05-20-2016, 11:41 AM
However Spur fan wants to spin the OKC series, unless you where watching a different series, POP was out-coached by a simple adjustment by a f***** rookie coach...

Nbadan
05-20-2016, 11:48 AM

I think we need to start having this conversation, of, what happens after Pop? Pop is a great NBA Coach, led the Spurs to 5 titles, nobody is gonna ever take that away from him....add to that the POP lineage of front office, coaching, VP's...personnel across the league and you get one of the greatest coaches to every coach in the NBA.....but even Red eventually had to step aside......when is Pop done?

Nbadan
05-20-2016, 11:54 AM
TBH for those of you who have read my posts for decades, I have always wondered how great of a coach Pop would have been had he only had average players...let's say he was in Utah....would a player like Leonard, Pop and Bud saw something in him that other teams didn't. would he have become the AllStar he is today on any other team?

poop
05-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Without duncan pop would have just been rick carlisle

Crazymaddopeyo
05-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Name a better option, anyone name a better option. And for the argument of he would've been nothing without Tim Duncan, what "great" coach never had a hall of famer?

SpursforSix
05-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Name a better option, anyone name a better option. And for the argument of he would've been nothing without Tim Duncan, what "great" coach never had a hall of famer?

What does "great" coach even mean?

I thought what Flip Saunders did with the Pistons was pretty good. Won a ring with a collection of decent players but I don't think any HOFs.

Dre_7
05-20-2016, 12:25 PM
I think we need to start having this conversation, of, what happens after Pop? Pop is a great NBA Coach, led the Spurs to 5 titles, nobody is gonna ever take that away from him....add to that the POP lineage of front office, coaching, VP's...personnel across the league and you get one of the greatest coaches to every coach in the NBA.....but even Red eventually had to step aside......when is Pop done?

Most likely after his contract ends. There isn't anyone else that is better for the job at this moment.

Keepin' it real
05-20-2016, 12:27 PM
I have always wondered how great of a coach Pop would have been had he only had average players...

How great would ANY NBA coach be with average players?

Dre_7
05-20-2016, 12:41 PM
I hate the "Pop had Tim argument"
It can be made about anyone. Here:

I often wonder how great of a coach Phil would have been without Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe. Or Red without Russell, Cousy, etc. Or Pat Riley without Magic and Kareem. Or Chuck Daly without Isiah, Dumars, Dennis Rodman, etc.

SnakeBoy
05-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Name a better option, anyone name a better option.

MultiTroll
05-20-2016, 04:09 PM

I thought what Flip Saunders did with the Pistons was pretty good. Won a ring with a collection of decent players but I don't think any HOFs.
Larry Brown.

As for doing it with the talent they have, Larry Brown is one of the greatest.

Ironically, I'm not sure I agree with his swapping out Theo Ratliff and Kukoc for Deke Mutombo mid season.

ceperez
05-20-2016, 04:24 PM

I agree. If Spurs had beaten the Thunder, Durant would likely move out in the Summer.

MultiTroll
05-20-2016, 04:26 PM
You mean beginning in the 2019-20 season? Cause that is how long Lord Pop is signed for and no way in hell is he stepping down. Regardless of how many more 1st or 2nd Round ousters are coming up. I'm sure a Bronze or less at the Olympics won't phase him either.

ElNono
05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
I hate the "Pop had Tim argument"
It can be made about anyone. Here:

I often wonder how great of a coach Phil would have been without Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe. Or Red without Russell, Cousy, etc. Or Pat Riley without Magic and Kareem. Or Chuck Daly without Isiah, Dumars, Dennis Rodman, etc.

You might hate it, but it's not fallacious. On the other hand, there's much more than just coaching and talent that sometimes goes into winning championships. Player getting hot at the right time, other team's injuries, etc...

What I realistically hate is the argument that "if we had X coach instead of Pop we would have 75 rings"... that's really is an argument that overlooks a lot of other things. But having superb talent and a coach that's motivated and loves the game are sure a good start when you're looking to ring.

TXstbobcat
05-20-2016, 06:40 PM

Leonard was a restricted free agent and did not have the option of leaving as the Spurs could have matched any offer for him. I do agree with you that Pop is the main reason that LMA signed with the Spurs.

tholdren
05-20-2016, 06:53 PM
no mod is stupid enough to pink people for saying pop sucks, because he does. And so does the mod

Snaq O'Meal
05-20-2016, 07:24 PM

When is Pop done? Since 2007.

The 2014 title was won when the GOAT PF guaranteed victory and walked the talk by going in balls deep, Kawhi started taking it personally against the King, and Patty thought the rims were as wide as all four AFL goalposts.

Prose
05-20-2016, 09:34 PM
So i have been thinking about pop and this whole group that has been here since for the run... as fans we have become "content" and not as hungry as we used to be back in the day in the late 90s and early 2000s during, i remember gathering 20-30 friends in a house to watch spurs playoff games...its just not like that any more, we have nothing else to experience or win that we have not already done in our lifetime so you lose that edge. So if we as fan feel like this, why do we expect duncan,parker,manu, pop, rc, and peter holt expect to feel differently, they are human too...Thinking about how much the team has changed from the start of the run to now represents how the city has changed too...

UNT Eagles 2016
05-20-2016, 11:30 PM

Star players don't willingly sign with teams they just beat. They go to teams they just lost to, or stay put.

Mal
05-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Star players don't willingly sign with teams they just beat. They go to teams they just lost to, or stay put.

It`s not that easy. Maybe they`ll go to team, which they have better chance to beat team, they wouldnt with current team. The only thing needed, is Durant having doubts in Thunder franchise

Keepin' it real
05-21-2016, 02:30 PM
When is Pop done? Since 2007.

The 2014 title was won when the GOAT PF guaranteed victory and walked the talk by going in balls deep, Kawhi started taking it personally against the King, and Patty thought the rims were as wide as all four AFL goalposts.

So you're saying from 2008-2013, the GOAT PF, Manu, Tony and the rest all underperformed, and that's why they lost for 6 years in a row?

Keepin' it real
05-21-2016, 02:53 PM
For all you Pop naysayers (from PTR):

To those who think Gregg Popovich was outcoached by Billy Donovan (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/5/20/11721380/podcast-superfluous-poppycock-gregg-popovich-outcoached-billy-donovan)

therealtruth
05-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Wait, when did Flip Saunders win a title with the Pistons? Wasn't that LB.

Pop's just not so hungry anymore and he puts it more on the players but you need both. In '14 he would have pulled all the stops to not lose. Not so since then.

spurraider21
05-21-2016, 03:21 PM
scapegoats always make us feel comfortable

dbestpro
05-21-2016, 05:26 PM

OKC will not draw any better players. They are as good as they will be right now. Durant can go to SA and be the guy who took them over the top.

TheGoldStandard
05-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Pop hasn't coached anybody up in a while.. 2013 and 2014 was more about Kawhi asserting himself and doing things on his own to get his. The day that Pop actually has young blood to coach will tell if he's lost it or not but he's too much of a curmudgeon to want to put himself through that.

Also, Durant is not going to sign a long term deal this summer. He will probably stay 1 more season with Russell and sign a 1/1 deal player option so he can opt out next season and collect a bigger paycheck.

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Pop hasn't coached anybody up in a while.. 2013 and 2014 was more about Kawhi asserting himself and doing things on his own to get his. The day that Pop actually has young blood to coach will tell if he's lost it or not but he's too much of a curmudgeon to want to put himself through that.

Also, Durant is not going to sign a long term deal this summer. He will probably stay 1 more season with Russell and sign a 1/1 deal player option so he can opt out next season and collect a bigger paycheck.
He does have Kawhi, Lamarcus and guys like Mills and Green on whom he relies now.

He also has younger players in need of coaching like Anderson, Boban (maybe resigned), and Simmons (contract option very likely picked up).

I hope we have at least a couple of youngsters next season too, whether they be Bertans, LJC, Cady, Milutinov or pick 29, and we should pick up a younger guy this FA than all the TOSB pick ups of late... so with all these guys he will have to coach.

TheGoldStandard
05-22-2016, 09:06 PM
He does have Kawhi, Lamarcus and guys like Mills and Green on whom he relies now.

He also has younger players in need of coaching like Anderson, Boban (maybe resigned), and Simmons (contract option very likely picked up).

I hope we have at least a couple of youngsters next season too, whether they be Bertans, LJC, Cady, Milutinov or pick 29, and we should pick up a younger guy this FA than all the TOSB pick ups of late... so with all these guys he will have to coach.

Honestly, he probably will mail it in for most of the season and then they'll be like a deer in headlights when it comes to the playoffs

therealtruth
05-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Honestly, he probably will mail it in for most of the season and then they'll be like a deer in headlights when it comes to the playoffs

'14 was the last time he coached. He's been on auto-pilot since.

tholdren
05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
For all you Pop naysayers (from PTR):

To those who think Gregg Popovich was outcoached by Billy Donovan (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/5/20/11721380/podcast-superfluous-poppycock-gregg-popovich-outcoached-billy-donovan)

PTR is a poor mans version of ESPN

Dingle Barry
05-24-2016, 03:02 AM
Lol at Flip Saunders winning a ring. RIP.

Capt Bringdown
05-24-2016, 07:34 AM
He can't take a punch in his old age. Heck, he was not that good at it in his prime - remember how Phil Jackson set-up shop inside his head?
He's not a man who can adjust to adversity.

MultiTroll
05-31-2016, 10:40 PM
no mod is stupid enough to pink people for saying pop sucks, because he does. And so does the mod
Not sure exactly what pinked is, but here is the order of events.
1. Spurs had a 14 point lead vs OKC in the 1st half. Pop and ThunderRef happened, game lost as series momentum swung. I made a thread with the statement:
"It's pretty hard to maintain a 10 point lead against the likes of Billy Donovan."
and made the poll: "Can Pop outwit Billy Donovan in this series?"

2. ElNono at the same time made a thread "Pop is officially done..."
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260234&page=3
On Nonos thread, my poll appeared at the top. ElNono posted "who made this a poll???? Slomo?"

Slomo responded
I was merging two other threads with this one. Apparently one was a poll...
But, the poll which is still there to this day at the top of the page, was and is disabled.
At that point I became unable to start threads. Also cannot view post quotes, you know when the red number appears that a poster quoted your post? Ya when that is on if I click on it some message *you cannot go there* appears. :lol

No response via site PM. I don't use my sign up email if that was response method.

spursistan
06-01-2016, 07:51 PM
no mod is stupid enough to pink people for saying pop sucks, because he does. And so does the mod TheGreatYacht (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=43719) got pinked for god knows how long because he called him crater face :lol