PDA

View Full Version : How did the Yankees Clinch the AL East?

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Am I missing something on the tie breaker? I thought they played a one game playoff if they tied.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:42 PM
If Red Soxs win tomorrow then it will be a Tie and they will play a playoff game Monday at Yankee Statium to see who will be Division Champion

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
If Red Soxs win tomorrow then it will be a Tie and they will play a playoff game Monday at Yankee Statium to see who will be Division Champion
OK, so then how does the wild card figure into all of this?

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:45 PM
The Yankees came out firing Saturday to beat the Red Sox at Fenway and, with Cleveland's loss, took the AL East title.

That is what it says on the main page of the sports.yahoo.com/mlb. Hmmm, how can they win the title if Red Soxs win tomorrow and they will both be tied? I don't know...

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:45 PM
But if they say Yankees win the AL East title that would mean Red Soxs = Wild Card. Cause the Indians are done, they lost twice.

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 03:46 PM
The Yankees came out firing Saturday to beat the Red Sox at Fenway and, with Cleveland's loss, took the AL East title.

That is what it says on the main page of the sports.yahoo.com/mlb. Hmmm, how can they win the title if Red Soxs win tomorrow and they will both be tied? I don't know...
think if yanks lose then cleveland and sox are in a one game playoff if tribe win tomorrow.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't know, it is all messed up.

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't know, it is all messed up.
yanks have the season series against the sox so they locked up the division. It's between the sox and tribe now. Trust me that the yanks want to put the sox out of their misery so they won't let up.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Well if Indians lose, it doesn't matter.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:52 PM
If Red Soxs win or Indians lose. Red Soxs = Wild Card...i'm pretty sure.

Kori Ellis
10-01-2005, 03:53 PM
The Yankees' victory, their 16th in 20 games, clinched a playoff berth, and they took the division because Cleveland lost 4-3 to the Chicago White Sox a few minutes earlier. The Red Sox finished second in the division for the eighth straight year, but it's not all bad news for them.

Because of the Indians' loss, the defending World Series champions can do no worse than a tie for the AL wild card -- news that got a medium-sized cheer when it was announced on the Fenway scoreboard.

If Boston loses on Sunday and Cleveland wins, they will meet at Fenway Park on Monday to decide the AL's last playoff berth. If Cleveland loses on Sunday, the Red Sox get the wild-card berth no matter what they do.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah, that is what I thought. Red Soxs win or Indians lose, would mean Red Soxs = Wild Card.

2centsworth
10-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, that is what I thought. Red Soxs win or Indians lose, would mean Red Soxs = Wild Card.next question is if sox win what would be the 1st round matchups? Hope it would mean Yanks Sox in AL championship.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 04:02 PM
I think it would be White Soxs vs Red Soxs for the 1st round playoffs if they get the Wild Card. Not too sure but it'll be either White Soxs or Angels.

Jimcs50
10-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Red Sox play at Chicago and NY plays against Anaheim.

Horry For 3!
10-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Red Sox play at Chicago and NY plays against Anaheim.
Thought so. Much better match-up for the Red Soxs. Yankees could lose to the Angels.

TexasAggie2005
10-02-2005, 01:43 AM
MLB only plays one game playoffs if they're necessary to determine who gets in, not if they're only needed to determine seeding. So, if the Yanks and Red Sox end up tied (because of a Red Sox win) they'd both be in and the division winner would be determined by head-to-head record.

Playoff matchups are normally division winner with the best record against the wild-card team and then the other two division winners. But, if the division winner with the best record is in the same division as the wild-card, the division winner with the best record gets the division winner with the worst record instead.

samikeyp
10-02-2005, 01:53 AM
Because the Red Sox reverted to pre-2004 form. Well...they can still get the WC.