PDA

View Full Version : Cory Joseph is almost a complete offensive player :(

apalisoc_9
05-21-2016, 08:24 PM
- Never hesitates to take an open three.
- Can penetrate
- Can defend
- Solid Midrange.

Been that way the last month of the season.

K...
05-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Playing a modern day Boobie Gibson son. But he isa nice player indeed. Under contract, let's not whine about it.

timtonymanu
05-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Sucks we lost him. but what was more frustrating was that he had a breakout year in 2015 yet "it's just basketball" decided to go with Enrique against the Clippers and benched CoJo completely.

Spurtacular
05-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Just another FAIL by the OP.

CJ's FG dropped from 50.4 in SA to 43.9 in TOR.

Spurtacular
05-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Says more about CLE than CJ; but still (link). (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/cory-joseph-airball-3-cavaliers-bench-distraction-screa)

05-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Sucks we lost him. but what was more frustrating was that he had a breakout year in 2015 yet "it's just basketball" decided to go with Enrique against the Clippers and benched CoJo completely.
Iirc Cojo was the back up in 2015. Mills wasn't the same after coming back from surgery and never earned his back up spot back. We could've used Patty's offense in that Clippers series, iirc

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Iirc Cojo was the back up in 2015. Mills wasn't the same after coming back from surgery and never earned his back up spot back. We could've used Patty's offense in that Clippers series, iirc

Patty got his backup spot but Porker should have been the 3rd string PG rather than letting him wet the bed in the Clippers series.:pop:

coachmac87
05-21-2016, 09:31 PM
- Never hesitates to take an open three.
- Can penetrate
- Can defend
- Solid Midrange.

Been that way the last month of the season.

How is defending related to him being a complete offensive player?

GSH
05-21-2016, 09:32 PM

Probably just a way to leave the door open to talk about Kawhi.

apalisoc_9
05-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Patty got his backup spot but Porker should have been the 3rd string PG rather than letting him wet the bed in the Clippers series.:pop:

Pretty much. Patty was awful the whole RS in 2015 :lol

r0drig0lac
05-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Probably just a way to leave the door open to talk about Kawhi.

lmao

ploto
05-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Nice game by Corey Joseph! Good defense and timely offense.

Ditty
05-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Imagine Kawhi, Green and Joseph on defense :depressed

Spurs draft so damn well!

Hopefully Anderson (especially Anderson!), Jean-Charles and Milutinov become good players they have the tools, and have showed upside.

RD2191
05-21-2016, 10:19 PM
:wakeup

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2016, 10:44 PM
He's been trash. Wade made a whipping boy out that scrub

SAGirl
05-21-2016, 10:47 PM
We should have sought out some kind of trade to get a return for him instead of losing him for nothing, but I really think Pop wanted to retain him if he could and that is why he wasn't traded.

Spurtacular
05-21-2016, 10:48 PM

It'd make sense if you were a moron.

Spurtacular
05-21-2016, 10:51 PM
We should have sought out some kind of trade to get a return for him instead of losing him for nothing, but I really think Pop wanted to retain him if he could and that is why he wasn't traded.

We weren't going to get that much for a third string PG (maybe a late first rounder if we were lucky); and CoJo was an integral part of the 2014 run and potential 2015 run. I think the Spurs knew he was gone if he played well. Double edge sword.

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 10:54 PM
He's been trash. Wade made a whipping boy out that scrub

Just like Kawhi made a whipping boy out of Barnes.:toast

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 10:55 PM

Wouldn't have been possible since he signed an offer-sheet before the LMA deal was completed.

Seventyniner
05-21-2016, 10:55 PM

The Spurs couldn't take any salary back and still have room for Aldridge.

timtonymanu
05-21-2016, 11:13 PM

Patty was the backup PG in the Clippers series. And he closed Game 2 for them when Parker got injured. CoJo looked like the most complete player of the three PGs but he was nowhere to be seen in the series when the team could have used him.

timtonymanu
05-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Imagine Kawhi, Green and Joseph on defense :depressed

Spurs draft so damn well!

Hopefully Anderson (especially Anderson!), Jean-Charles and Milutinov become good players they have the tools, and have showed upside.

Joseph looked solid in the starting lineup last year when the team was missing Kawhi and Parker for a lot of stretches. He would have been a great fit with this year's starting 5.

SD126
05-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Should have kept him and let Mills' walk in '14.

SAGirl
05-21-2016, 11:26 PM
The Spurs couldn't take any salary back and still have room for Aldridge.
We could have not landed Aldridge. I know the ultimate outcome (Aldridge did agree, but if he didn't I think they had Plans B or C and they probably included keeping Cojo)

SAGirl
05-21-2016, 11:29 PM
We weren't going to get that much for a third string PG (maybe a late first rounder if we were lucky); and CoJo was an integral part of the 2014 run and potential 2015 run. I think the Spurs knew he was gone if he played well. Double edge sword.
That's exactly what I am saying.
We should have gotten a pick for him like Ray Mac.
Spurs just didn't even look at that.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Spurs should have traded Cojo in a deadline deal, last season. But Pops ass-hole is sooo tight. "Muh team chemistry!" they knew damn well they weren't going to pay Cory to stay. probably coulda got Greivis Vasquez, maybe even Caboclo. It's insane to me to see Toronto steal Biyombo from the bobcats, and do the exact same thing to Caboclo that the bobcats did to Biyombo.

Spurtacular
05-22-2016, 12:17 AM
That's exactly what I am saying.
We should have gotten a pick for him like Ray Mac.
Spurs just didn't even look at that.

So, you wanted to try and win the 2015 ring without him? That doesn't make sense to me. I know we lost. But had we pulled out the Clippers series, we would have wanted CoJo.

Kawhitstorm
05-22-2016, 12:27 AM
Should have kept him and let Mills' walk in '14.

...as if Pop would give him minutes over Porker.:pop:

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 12:32 AM
So, you wanted to try and win the 2015 ring without him? That doesn't make sense to me. I know we lost. But had we pulled out the Clippers series, we would have wanted CoJo.
They obviously didn't trust him in the playoffs. That is what I am saying. He wasn't going to be resigned nor in the playoffs... they could have dealt him for an asset.

Bottom line I think they did like him and value him and if the Aldridge option didn't pan out, they planned to try to keep him.

Ultimately though, he is in a better spot for himself. He was too good for a 3rd string PG.

Spurtacular
05-22-2016, 12:46 AM
They obviously didn't trust him in the playoffs. That is what I am saying. He wasn't going to be resigned nor in the playoffs... they could have dealt him for an asset.

Bottom line I think they did like him and value him and if the Aldridge option didn't pan out, they planned to try to keep him.

Ultimately though, he is in a better spot for himself. He was too good for a 3rd string PG.

They didn't use him as a regular playoff contributor; but they did trust him whenever they needed him like Gm 6 vs OKC 2014. In a series vs. GS, he would've gotten more minutes. I don't think much was on the table for a 3rd string PG in terms of immediate impact. Spurs made the right choice (unless someone was offer a mid first, which I seriously doubt).

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 12:52 AM
They didn't use him as a regular playoff contributor; but they did trust him whenever they needed him like Gm 6 vs OKC 2014. In a series vs. GS, he would've gotten more minutes. I don't think much was on the table for a 3rd string PG in terms of immediate impact. Spurs made the right choice (unless someone was offer a mid first, which I seriously doubt).
We'll just disagree TBH. I think they really wanted to try to keep him, thus he wasn't dealt. But obviously if LMA agreed it was going to be impossible. They must have known chances were about 5% or less he was kept. As bereft as we are of young talent with real potential, we actually let him go for nothing and that was disappointing.

Chinook
05-22-2016, 01:18 AM
Wouldn't have been possible since he signed an offer-sheet before the LMA deal was completed.

Not even close. LMA's deal was hammered out during the moratorium. Anf Cory was only signed after the Spurs honored his request to withdraw the QO (also during the moratorium). There was not a moment where any offer sheet was on the table.

therealtruth
05-22-2016, 01:47 AM
Pop lucked into that game 2 victory last year with TP being injured and being forced to play Mills. The series would have ended much sooner otherwise.

Spurtacular
05-22-2016, 01:57 AM
We'll just disagree TBH. I think they really wanted to try to keep him, thus he wasn't dealt. But obviously if LMA agreed it was going to be impossible. They must have known chances were about 5% or less he was kept. As bereft as we are of young talent with real potential, we actually let him go for nothing and that was disappointing.

I never said they didn't want to keep him. They knew there was a chance they'd have funds to sign him; and there was a chance they wouldn't have the funds. As the season progressed, it look less likely because of his improved play. He didn't go for nothing because he could've been an important part of a back to back. Yea, that didn't materialize; but still, it wasn't really truly a let him go for nothing scenario in that sense.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-22-2016, 04:29 AM
I remember when people hated him in his first 2-3 seasons, just like KA now.

mudyez
05-22-2016, 04:59 AM
Cory Joseph is almost a complete offensive player :)

FIFY

...and I'm very happy for him.

AFMadison
05-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Meh he's ok, people who watched highlights probably think he played a great game. He was ok, he hit that buzzer beater 3, before that play he just checked in and immediately turned the ball over. In the second half I watched him hold the ball for 15 seconds on each play then heave up two consecutive airballs. Watch the games OP and not the highlights. Mainstream NBA fan :lol

timtonymanu
05-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Meh he's ok, people who watched highlights probably think he played a great game. He was ok, he hit that buzzer beater 3, before that play he just checked in and immediately turned the ball over. In the second half I watched him hold the ball for 15 seconds on each play then heave up two consecutive airballs. Watch the games OP and not the highlights. Mainstream NBA fan :lol

Better than dribble dribble dribble jump shot every possession or Patty missing wide open 3s.

DMC
05-22-2016, 12:13 PM
The league is full of no name players who could contribute if they got minutes. It doesn't mean they would be difference makers.

kaji157
05-22-2016, 01:04 PM
If you ask me i would love a lot more to have George Hill back over Cory Joseph.

And i donīt know why but i get the feeling that Hill is somehow within reach.

RD2191
05-22-2016, 01:41 PM

Parker gets how much to do the same thing?

timtonymanu
05-22-2016, 01:50 PM
:wakeup

Good call. Same with Chinook

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 02:08 PM
If you ask me i would love a lot more to have George Hill back over Cory Joseph.

And i donīt know why but i get the feeling that Hill is somehow within reach.
There were rumors Indiana was trying to deal him for Teague. He will be in a contract year and will be an UFA in 2017.

SpurPadre
05-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Just another FAIL by the OP.

CJ's FG dropped from 50.4 in SA to 43.9 in TOR.

Well, when you go from 2 shots attempted a game to 8-10, that tends to happen to anybody, tbh.

Spurtacular
05-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Well, when you go from 2 shots attempted a game to 8-10, that tends to happen to anybody, tbh.

Cojo's shots per game only increased from 5.3 to 7.2. Per 36 they were virtually the same. And conventional thinking is that more shots means better rhythm, anyways.

The reality is this is another OP fail from a terrible poster.

TD 21
05-22-2016, 04:57 PM
It's too bad, because he's basically what they need right now, but timing is everything. They were trying to win one more championship with the big three, Mills was always going to be a better fit next to Ginobili and they were probably hoping for more of a bounce back from the former than they got.

YGWHI
05-22-2016, 06:04 PM
...and I'm very happy for him.

Me too. So glad to see this improved CoJo version. :tu

SpurPadre
05-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Cojo's shots per game only increased from 5.3 to 7.2. Per 36 they were virtually the same. And conventional thinking is that more shots means better rhythm, anyways.

The reality is this is another OP fail from a terrible poster.

I see your point but you're also not factoring the spacing he was afforded with the Spurs and the better shots it afforded him. We can't deny he was given a bigger workload and responsibility as a Raptor and he's handled himself decently...and good for him.

YGWHI
05-22-2016, 06:08 PM
Cojo's shots per game only increased from 5.3 to 7.2.

He was making shots at crucial moments.

If you can't see he has improved on the offensive end, you should watch more Raptors games.

Spurtacular
05-22-2016, 07:05 PM
I see your point but you're also not factoring the spacing he was afforded with the Spurs and the better shots it afforded him. We can't deny he was given a bigger workload and responsibility as a Raptor and he's handled himself decently...and good for him.

And that is perhaps why his percent dropped. But there's no case for his offense improved.

Spurtacular
05-22-2016, 07:06 PM
He was making shots at crucial moments.

If you can't see he has improved on the offensive end, you should watch more Raptors games.

Cojo's a little better known now because of the increased minutes; but there was no discernible improvement.

YGWHI
05-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Cojo's a little better known now because of the increased minutes; but there was no discernible improvement.

Well, he isn't a 3's shooter and made two of those shots in big moments last game. Also, he was attacking the rim like never before...

RD2191
05-22-2016, 07:13 PM

He's better than Jimmer, that much I know.

midnightpulp
05-22-2016, 08:39 PM
I can't hindsight bias this. Most of us, except Rob Diaz, were on board with Patty. At one point, he was a poor man's Curry, capable of putting in a quick 10-12 points off the bench in a few minutes. When he'd square from 3, you expected it to go in.

Then he went to complete shit.

cd98
05-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Pop had a competition two years ago between Cojo and Mills won. So Cojo became expendable. He's been good with minutes and a role. Patty had a good year until the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs. Just how things shake.

Gagnrath
05-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Mills is a little streaky and had shoulder surgery that made things weird for about half of last year... I worry though the spurs need mills to step up more next year either in distribution or in being money with his shot.... Neither of these was great this year though his defensive effort was better... Not certain about the effective outcome.

AFMadison
05-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Better than dribble dribble dribble jump shot every possession or Patty missing wide open 3s.
Where did I hype up Tony and Patty in my post?

AFMadison
05-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Parker gets how much to do the same thing?
i never mentioned Parker in my post

Chinook
05-25-2016, 07:08 AM
Apparently, Raptors fans on RealGM want to trade Joseph to make room to re-up Bismack. I would totally take him back in a three-team deal that swings either Parker or Patty elsewhere.

hater
05-25-2016, 07:16 AM
He is solid, smart and a good defender. Patty Mills is none of those

Mal
05-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Toronto offered him contract that Spurs couldn`t match. Easy as it get.

Chinook
05-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Toronto offered him contract that Spurs couldn`t match. Easy as it get.

Nah. They didn't offer a contract until after the Spurs let Cory go. What actually happened is that they made it clear they wouldn't engage SA in an S&T. Same thing happened with Neal and Milwaukee.

Mal
05-25-2016, 09:25 AM
Nah. They didn't offer a contract until after the Spurs let Cory go. What actually happened is that they made it clear they wouldn't engage SA in an S&T. Same thing happened with Neal and Milwaukee.

Still, Spurs wouldn`t match 7 mil per year for him

Chinook
05-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Still, Spurs wouldn`t match 7 mil per year for him

I think if they could do it again, they would.

Spurtacular
05-31-2016, 07:04 AM
He's better than Jimmer, that much I know.

Nah.

TheCerebral1
05-31-2016, 08:21 AM
He still wasn't worth 7.5M per season when he was signed to that deal. Glad he's succeeding.

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 01:14 PM
Apparently, Raptors fans on RealGM want to trade Joseph to make room to re-up Bismack. I would totally take him back in a three-team deal that swings either Parker or Patty elsewhere.

They should just trade Jonas for a stretch 4 & keep CoJo considering Lowry is injury prone.

For example, they could package Jonas/Terrance Ross in a sign & trade for Horford then dump Patterson for pick.

poeticism707
05-31-2016, 01:24 PM
With TP falling off a cliff the last few seasons,

Spurs should have matched TOR to keep him.

6 or 7m a year is nothing in today's bargaining agreement...