PDA

View Full Version : Cady Lalanne?

tbear280
05-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Is he an option at all for next season? Someone with a better bball iq please elaborate on why or why not he is an option? Thanks

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 09:25 PM
There isn't anything he does at an NBA level, he's basically a poorman's Darrell Arthur. He would be an upgrade over Jeff Ayres though.:lol

tbear280
05-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Ouch ��

SAGirl
05-21-2016, 10:14 PM
I watched a couple of d'league games this season, one to scout Simmons who had been sent down (he was terrible in that game by the way, TO specially), the other by RayMc (a very average game with nothing worth mentioning except that they played him off the ball a lot, which i found weird for a PG). Anyways, Cady was there and I saw some of him, but he wasn't the focus of my scouting.

From what I remember of him, he was clearly working on his 3 pt shot and he didn't get it going in any of the games I watched (although he's been streaky and I have seen highlights of him making multiple 3s in a game). He's definitely being encouraged to develop as a stretch 4, but it's interesting that Austin played him inside as well, which would make him a versatile big (unlike a Bonner who has absolutely no game inside).

He's average as far as I recall. In terms of athleticism, agility and speed, he reminded me of the current 35 yr. old version of D'West, slow and heavy footed and slow lateral movement. He's not a guy that would handle switches well or that you want to come out to contest 3s (at least the games I watched, not that I was scouting him specifically).

He's is strong enough to defend a post up though, (unlike some rookie bigs who are still developing their bodies, he looks like he could hold his own, but then again he is 24, he should at this stage). He has craftiness around the basket. He would be a 5th big for depth purposes. One good thing I noticed is that he's been better at catching the ball than I saw him in SL, when catching in traffic was problematic for him. I think he has improved his overall game.

Here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWbsSQIc9dg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLEDQLwoGew

He would probably be much better than Ayers bc he has a nice jumpshot, which Ayers never had. Here he is making multiple 3s, be advised this was not the regular occurrence. Just shows that he does have a nice jumpshot with potential to evolve to a 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YISvSBZ6dFM

Ditty
05-21-2016, 10:20 PM
I rather bring over Jean-Charles. He has much better upside, and athleticism and younger.

RD2191
05-21-2016, 10:27 PM
SAgirl is chumpdumper.:lol

SAGirl
05-21-2016, 10:37 PM
By the way, I didn't know this, but I found out he was an nba dleague all star this season. That may be meaningless, but for what it's worth, some of those guys tend to get picked up for 10 day contracts, and may become marginal roleplayers. If he has a nice showing in summer league, and shows the Spurs he improved on whatever it was that they assigned him to work on, I would not be surprised if he makes the roster for depth purposes.

We still need a veteran legit big, but he can be fine for depth purposes IMO. Defense is really where I can't give you anything more accurate than I stated above ^^ bc I really didn't scout him (like I posted) and to observe defense one really needs to watch actual games, these highlights don't reveal anything in that regard.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Would provide more energy off the bench than Kyle and Manu.

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 11:01 PM
By the way, I didn't know this, but I found out he was an nba dleague all star this season. That may be meaningless, but for what it's worth, some of those guys tend to get picked up for 10 day contracts, and may become marginal roleplayers. If he has a nice showing in summer league, and shows the Spurs he improved on whatever it was that they assigned him to work on, I would not be surprised if he makes the roster for depth purposes.

His best hope making an NBA roster is by becoming a knockdown 3 point shooter like Frye otherwise he's nothing more than Jeff Ayres without the motor.:lol(JaMychal Green looked like Anthony Davis compared to Cady)

SAGirl
05-21-2016, 11:08 PM
His best hope making an NBA roster is by becoming a knockdown 3 point shooter like Frye otherwise he's nothing more than Jeff Ayres without the motor.:lol(JaMychal Green looked like Anthony Davis compared to Cady)
Well Jamychal is a rotation big (granted Grizz were depleted, but he still might have been a 4th big or something of that nature in a playoff team), so as far as roleplayers go Jamychal turned out really nice. He doesn't have post moves and craftiness like Cady, but he does have a nice mid range jumpshot (correction). J.Green did have a much better season than Cady in the dleague when he got his contract and he was 24 as well. I think Cady has improved though from what we saw in SL and we need a young big for depth. He shot 33% on the 3, not good enough for sure, but I keep in mind he was not shooting the 3 in college. He could still improve that 3. We are talking about the 5th big here... look at Bonner...

LJC is the much better athlete and a dogged defender. I haven't watched him at all since SL though. Some guys have watched him and posted remarks in the think tank section and it does look like he's made improvements to his game this season as well. The 5th big might be between the two of them.

Another factor to consider is that Cady had an agreement with the Spurs to go the d'league this season. That could have curtailed earning opportunities in Europe or somewhere else. They might really have in mind bringing him in. I don't know that is speculation.

palangi
05-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Well he is 6'10" with a 7'5" wing span and a 9'3" standing reach. As a 4th or 5th big he would be great. He brings rebounding and defense. An improving shot and good movement skills.

palangi
05-21-2016, 11:52 PM
I watched a couple of d'league games this season, one to scout Simmons who had been sent down (he was terrible in that game by the way, TO specially), the other by RayMc (a very average game with nothing worth mentioning except that they played him off the ball a lot, which i found weird for a PG). Anyways, Cady was there and I saw some of him, but he wasn't the focus of my scouting.

From what I remember of him, he was clearly working on his 3 pt shot and he didn't get it going in any of the games I watched (although he's been streaky and I have seen highlights of him making multiple 3s in a game). He's definitely being encouraged to develop as a stretch 4, but it's interesting that Austin played him inside as well, which would make him a versatile big (unlike a Bonner who has absolutely no game inside).

He's average as far as I recall. In terms of athleticism, agility and speed, he reminded me of the current 35 yr. old version of D'West, slow and heavy footed and slow lateral movement. He's not a guy that would handle switches well or that you want to come out to contest 3s (at least the games I watched, not that I was scouting him specifically).

He's is strong enough to defend a post up though, (unlike some rookie bigs who are still developing their bodies, he looks like he could hold his own, but then again he is 24, he should at this stage). He has craftiness around the basket. He would be a 5th big for depth purposes. One good thing I noticed is that he's been better at catching the ball than I saw him in SL, when catching in traffic was problematic for him. I think he has improved his overall game.

The bolded part of your scouting made me laugh. As the board president of Kyle Anderson!

palangi
05-22-2016, 12:00 AM
There isn't anything he does at an NBA level, he's basically a poorman's Darrell Arthur. He would be an upgrade over Jeff Ayres though.:lol
7.6 rebounds a game
1.3 blocks in a game
in 28 minutes a games

seems pretty good. An improving 3 point shot. Good size with elite length.

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 12:06 AM
The bolded part of your scouting made me laugh. As the board president of Kyle Anderson!
I posted this in the think tank when I watched those games now that I recall:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249904&page=2&p=8496657#post8496657

Anderson doesn't have explosion or athletic burst, but he is able to change directions on his feet with relative quickness (something that takes by surprise defenders bc you don't expect it from a guy that big and slow, he's very deceptive), and I don't know how to describe it exactly, but Anderson has good body control, he's able to stall his momentum relatively well when closing in on shooters and without fouling them and overall he can stay close to smaller players without bumping them or fouling them... playing under control serves Anderson well in that regard. Cady doesn't have the same body control or ability to stall his momentum, thus he will foul shooters much like Dwest and it's tough for him to close shooters out.
Basically it was my observation at the time, that although Anderson is slow, he is able to defend at an NBA level by giving space and, denying angles, and using his length bc he's able to close out shooters and stall momentum, he doesn't foul often. OTOH, Cady moves in a heavy way, can't really describe it any other way, basically he can't stall momentum same as Anderson closing out shooters, which causes fouling. He's not similar defending in the perimeter. He reminds me the most of D.West and as you know him and Anderson are not the same in the perimeter.

palangi
05-22-2016, 12:14 AM
I posted this in the think tank when I watched those games now that I recall:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249904&page=2&p=8496657#post8496657

Basically it was my observation at the time, that although Anderson is slow, he is able to defend at an NBA level by giving space and, denying angles, and using his length bc he's able to close out shooters and stall momentum, he doesn't foul often. OTOH, Cady moves in a heavy way, can't really describe it any other way, basically he can't stall momentum same as Anderson closing out shooters, which causes fouling. He's not similar defending in the perimeter. He reminds me the most of D.West and as you know him and Anderson are not the same in the perimeter.what is your hard on for KA. You go to all lengths to build him up. He does not change direction quickly.

im still laughing at you. According to you cady weakness is KA on point!

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 12:20 AM
what is your hard on for KA. You go to all lengths to build him up. He does not change direction quickly.

im still laughing at you. According to you cady weakness is KA on point!
ok. whatever then

DJR210
05-22-2016, 12:40 AM
He would probably be much better than Ayers bc he has a nice jumpshot, which Ayers never had. Here he is making multiple 3s, be advised this was not the regular occurrence. Just shows that he does have a nice jumpshot with potential to evolve to a 3.

How is his clapping?

SAGirl
05-22-2016, 12:41 AM
How is his clapping?
:lol not that annoying...
actually Ayres clapping was super annoying.
I don't think anyone tops him at that. :downspin:

palangi
05-22-2016, 01:15 AM

After watching those videos you can see Lalanne isn't as heavy footed as some suggest. He uses his length well to pin defenders on low post ups. He has a nice spin move from the low post. Has enough explosion to dunk in traffic, I think his length helps here.

Chinook
05-22-2016, 01:28 AM
ok. whatever then

Oh, I see you've met palangi.

palangi
05-22-2016, 01:44 AM
Oh, I see you've met palangi.
I see you're as sensitive as ever. Mr. Don't like to be questioned.

.G.
05-22-2016, 04:27 AM
:lol

TheGreatYacht
05-22-2016, 05:34 AM
After watching those videos you can see Lalanne isn't as heavy footed as some suggest. He uses his length well to pin defenders on low post ups. He has a nice spin move from the low post. Has enough explosion to dunk in traffic, I think his length helps here.
Whoever said he's slow footed is an idiot, tbh :lol

palangi
05-22-2016, 10:03 AM
Whoever said he's slow footed is an idiot, tbh :lol
That would be the Kyle Anderson fan club president. Which makes it even more hilarious.

tholdren
05-22-2016, 02:24 PM

"scouting"

LOL someone ban SAGirl these posts of his are absolutely terrible.

YGWHI
05-22-2016, 04:39 PM
I rather bring over Jean-Charles. He has much better upside, and athleticism and younger.
His injuries could be a concern but I'd give him and Bertans an opportunity, they seem ready to come to the NBA.

ceperez
05-22-2016, 09:10 PM
7'5" wingspan and can shoot the 3.

He has a wingspan that is an inch shorter than Bismack Biyomba ... who incidentally grabbed 25 rebounds last game against the Cavs.

SAGirl
05-23-2016, 04:16 PM

He has a wingspan that is an inch shorter than Bismack Biyomba ... who incidentally grabbed 25 rebounds last game against the Cavs.
I have not seen a single game by Cady with 25 rebounds even in the dleague. Biyombo has an insane motor and aggressiveness going for rebounds that Cady doesn't have, but I still think Cady would be a nice project big. I'd take him and let Bonner go.

tholdren
05-23-2016, 08:45 PM
I have not seen a single game by Cady with 25 rebounds even in the dleague. Biyombo has an insane motor and aggressiveness going for rebounds that Cady doesn't have, but I still think Cady would be a nice project big. I'd take him and let Bonner go.
lol

Keepin' it real
05-23-2016, 08:54 PM

26 rebounds

palangi
05-24-2016, 12:36 AM
Well he did finish with 12 double doubles. Had a high of 15 rebounds. And was only playing 20-28 minutes a game. Not 40.
his per36 for the season was 18 ppg and 13rpg. Not bad for a second rounder in his first season.

SAGirl
05-24-2016, 12:49 AM
Well he did finish with 12 double doubles. Had a high of 15 rebounds. And was only playing 20-28 minutes a game. Not 40.
his per36 for the season was 18 ppg and 13rpg. Not bad for a second rounder in his first season.
I am not criticizing Cady but he's no Biyombo.

maverick1948
05-24-2016, 12:55 AM
You know it is quite funny that every player the Spurs draft has been called slow for years. I dont many 6'10 250 big men that are fast.
Stop using that as an excuse. KA is not as slow as some make him out to be. He just has long legs and takes a stride and a half to others 1 stride.

ViceCity86
05-24-2016, 12:55 AM
Ghost of Stan Kelly

Cady coming down the lane!

palangi
05-24-2016, 01:05 AM
I am not criticizing Cady but he's no Biyombo.
Definitely not Lalanne can make a jumper.

I dont lalanne comes comes in and sets it on fire either but as a bench guy he brings some value. More than what we have had the last few years. We've been a little subpar with our backup bigs.

SAGirl
05-24-2016, 01:13 AM
Definitely not Lalanne can make a jumper.

I dont lalanne comes comes in and sets it on fire either but as a bench guy he brings some value. More than what we have had the last few years. We've been a little subpar with our backup bigs.
I don't disagree but frankly you strike me as a contrarian, just making up arguments bc it's your shtick. :lol

palangi
05-24-2016, 01:16 AM
I don't disagree but frankly you strike me as a contrarian, just making up arguments bc it's your shtick. :lol
Huh...I actually was agreeing with you.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2016, 04:16 AM

Boban's wingspan is 7'8". Does that mean he could get 30 rebounds in an eastern conference playoff game?

MVPCues
05-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Boban's wingspan is 7'8". Does that mean he could get 30 rebounds in an eastern conference playoff game?

Nope. Not a chance. Zero. Boban plays in the western conference.

palangi
05-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Who knows? But wing span is a + in basketball. If I had a crystal ball I could tell you. I'm sure you know though.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2016, 07:29 PM
Who knows? But wing span is a + in basketball. If I had a crystal ball I could tell you. I'm sure you know though.

So is height. See Thunder, OKC.

palangi
05-24-2016, 10:59 PM
So is height. See Thunder, OKC.
Having both is even better. But Ibaka is only 6'9" or 6'10" but long arms that help him play bigger.

Obstructed_View
05-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Having both is even better. But Ibaka is only 6'9" or 6'10" but long arms that help him play bigger.

Ibaka is Matt bonner with none of the flaws.

palangi
05-25-2016, 05:15 PM
And more athleticism and length

Keepin' it real
05-25-2016, 05:30 PM

But no sammiches.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/spurs/media/0910_bonner_sandwich.jpg

Obstructed_View
05-25-2016, 05:51 PM

Being slow, unable to jump and having short arms would all be flaws, yes.

SpurPadre
05-25-2016, 05:54 PM

And he eats actual grown up food instead of just sandwiches.

MVPCues
05-25-2016, 06:02 PM
And he eats actual grown up food instead of just sandwiches.

What up SpurPadre. I heard Pop regrets not seeing if Bonner could have been an answer to OKC in the playoffs and has promised Bonner a 2 year deal for the vet minimum.

SpurPadre
05-25-2016, 06:15 PM
What up SpurPadre. I heard Pop regrets not seeing if Bonner could have been an answer to OKC in the playoffs and has promised Bonner a 2 year deal for the vet minimum.

Sup. Oh yeah, dude will be with the team forever and will be HC after Pop, tbh.

palangi
05-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Being slow, unable to jump and having short arms would all be flaws, yes.

Most definitely

Obstructed_View
05-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Pop thinks Bonner can be the Spurs' Channing Frye.

palangi
05-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Pop thinks Bonner can be the Spurs' Channing Frye.

Shoot...Frye is Clevelands Matt Bonner

DrunkTXLabrat
05-26-2016, 12:57 AM

this is the only real Cady Lalanne take there is.