PDA

View Full Version : Bismack Biyombo?

Spurs9
05-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Seems like a rich mans Ibaka, can we afford him tbh?

Ditty
05-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Some of us wanted him so bad last offseason right after we signed Aldridge even if he has no offensive game. He signed like a hour later with the Raptors after Aldridge did with us. He is probably out of our price range unless we get rid of a few guys. Would be a nice guy to have next to Aldridge, and rather have him than Gasol.

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Some of us wanted him so bad last offseason right after we signed Aldridge even if he has no offensive game. He signed like a hour later with the Raptors after Aldridge did with us. He is probably out of our price range unless we get rid of a few guys. Would be a nice guy to have next to Aldridge, and rather have him than Gasol.

Tristan Thompson got paid off last season's playoffs when he became a starter following Love's injury, Biyombo seems to be following that route.:lol

r0drig0lac
05-21-2016, 09:36 PM
0% chance, he will get paid

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 09:40 PM
0% chance, he will get paid

He's better than Ian who had a "contract year" season.

Seventyniner
05-21-2016, 10:06 PM

Rich man's Ibaka? Um, no. Biyombo has no range whatsoever.

Alongside Kawhi/LMA/Green, I don't know if a purely defensive C is the best fit, especially when Parker isn't even reliable as a 3rd option on offense. Then again, Biyombo could fill the Duncan role and can make it through a whole season without breaking down. He'll get paid but not nearly maxed out imo.

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Rich man's Ibaka? Um, no. Biyombo has no range whatsoever.

Alongside Kawhi/LMA/Green, I don't know if a purely defensive C is the best fit, especially when Parker isn't even reliable as a 3rd option on offense. Then again, Biyombo could fill the Duncan role and can make it through a whole season without breaking down. He'll get paid but not nearly maxed out imo.

Biyombo has to play w/ a PnR point guard like Chris Paul to be a threat on offense, which also mean he has to play w/ a stretch 4 to open up the lane. Basically, he could play the Steven Adams role.

spurs10
05-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Strong play tonight! CJ was great on Irving too!

Ditty
05-21-2016, 10:27 PM
Spurs could bring over Jean-Charles looked like he had some above average shot blocking, and rebounding like Biyombo. Needs to bulk up a bit, and probably won't put up the same numbers but he is cheaper and has an offensive game.

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Spurs could bring over Jean-Charles looked like he had some above average shot blocking, and rebounding like Biyombo. Needs to bulk up a bit, and probably won't put up the same numbers but he is cheaper and has an offensive game.

Biyombo's best asset is his motor which JC lacks.

maverick1948
05-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Talk like he is on 10,000,000 dollar contract. Try a player option for less than 3 mill. He played only 22 mins a game during season. Can we afford him? Sure but do we want a player who can't put the ball in the hoops from beyond 5 feet. I dont think many teams are going to offer him that much to play as a defender only. Of course, at SA he will win the next 2 DPOY awards.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-21-2016, 11:23 PM

...also, too late.

Kawhitstorm
05-21-2016, 11:34 PM
Talk like he is on 10,000,000 dollar contract. Try a player option for less than 3 mill. He played only 22 mins a game during season. Can we afford him? Sure but do we want a player who can't put the ball in the hoops from beyond 5 feet. I dont think many teams are going to offer him that much to play as a defender only. Of course, at SA he will win the next 2 DPOY awards.

You must not be aware of the contracts teams have been handing out to big men.:lol

Google Samuel Dalembert, dude got a 65 million contract under the old CBA w/o the help of LeBron's agent. Biyambo is going to get a 4yrs/60 million if he finishes out the series strong.

palangi
05-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Their is a bigger and longer Biyombo clone in the draft. If we can trade back into the second round Prince Ibeh would be a great get. He has a 9'5" standing reach.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Prince-Ibeh-6449/

DrunkTXLabrat
05-21-2016, 11:50 PM
every year, there is a guy who's rookie contract is expiring and his team is too stupid to give a shit about their team option or match option. last year, the spurs not only gave one in Cojo... but they also missed one with Biyombo. Few years before, it was Aminu. I'd put Earl Clark, BJ Mullens, and Robin Lopez in the category. I'm gonna go out on a small limb and say this year it'll be between Andrew Nicholson or Miles Plumlee. Ezeli and Rivers for honorable mention. Perry Jones and Royce White are free agents right now, nba scouts are over-rated.

SD126
05-21-2016, 11:53 PM
He's going to get a fat contract. 4-yr/60 million range

SD126
05-21-2016, 11:54 PM
He's better than Ian who had a "contract year" season.

And Ian's going to get a ridiculous contract himself.

lmbebo
05-22-2016, 12:06 AM
Their is a bigger and longer Biyombo clone in the draft. If we can trade back into the second round Prince Ibeh would be a great get. He has a 9'5" standing reach.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Prince-Ibeh-6449/

Sounds like a project big, if he has the focus to develop. Report makes it sound iffy on that end.

palangi
05-22-2016, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a project big, if he has the focus to develop. Report makes it sound iffy on that end.
Hence the 2nd round.

palangi
05-22-2016, 11:34 AM
I guess we can be scared of developing big guys?
nobody wanted Biyombo last year because he was raw still
nobody wanted mason Plumlee last year because he was still raw.

hater
05-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Byombo and Adams on the same team would win the next 10 rings IMO

daslicer
05-22-2016, 12:21 PM
I guess we can be scared of developing big guys?
nobody wanted Biyombo last year because he was raw still
nobody wanted mason Plumlee last year because he was still raw.

He was crap in Charlotte his first few years. He's doing well now because he's found a role he can excel in Toronto. In Charlotte the issue was that he wanted to be a star but I think now he's accepted he's a role player.

DMC
05-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Spurs have gone too far into the "great defense, not enough offense" well. In today's NBA you need instant offense and if Manu retires we simply don't have it.

palangi
05-22-2016, 12:24 PM
He was crap in Charlotte his first few years. He's doing well now because he's found a role he can excel in Toronto. In Charlotte the issue was that he wanted to be a star but I think now he's accepted he's a role player.
Exactly. We as a fan base are scared of athletic bigs with personality. Why couldn't we get him to comply like Toronto? Or maybe it was because he was in a bad situation in charlotte?

daslicer
05-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Exactly. We as a fan base are scared of athletic bigs with personality. Why couldn't we get him to comply like Toronto? Or maybe it was because he was in a bad situation in charlotte?

I live in Charlotte so I follow the Hornets closely. Nothing held him back in Charlotte from playing well. He was just pretty raw and he was terrible. He had great athletic ability but couldn't make an impact on either end of the floor. He got plenty of opportunities but couldn't put it together so they traded him.

palangi
05-22-2016, 01:02 PM
I live in Charlotte so I follow the Hornets closely. Nothing held him back in Charlotte from playing well. He was just pretty raw and he was terrible. He had great athletic ability but couldn't make an impact on either end of the floor. He got plenty of opportunities but couldn't put it together so they traded him.
Meh the coaching and system in Charlotte isn't anything to hold up. Torontois a step up and look what he did, took a step up. San Antonio could have been the same with our coaching, system, and culture.

daslicer
05-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Meh the coaching and system in Charlotte isn't anything to hold up. Torontois a step up and look what he did, took a step up. San Antonio could have been the same with our coaching, system, and culture.

He got to play under a Clifford the last 3 years who I would say is a better coach than the Raptor's Casey. He was just garbage in Charlotte despite the good coaching, and having a plethora of opportunities. Biyombo is one of those rare cases where a young player finally figures it out.

kaji157
05-22-2016, 01:10 PM
We don´t need the next Tim Duncan, we need someone that can finish at the rim sometimes, put good screens, and be an average (not great) rebounder. If you ask me, Pau Gasol fits that bill and that who´d we pursue. Plus it would be good to replace Tim with someone that is also experienced.

palangi
05-22-2016, 01:14 PM
He got to play under a Clifford the last 3 years who I would say is a better coach than the Raptor's Casey. He was just garbage in Charlotte despite the good coaching, and having a plethora of opportunities. Biyombo is one of those rare cases where a young player finally figures it out.
Agree to disagree

Sean Cagney
05-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Byombo and Adams on the same team would win the next 10 rings IMO

They would be a force, but only if someone else re signs there this Summer.

td4mvp2k
05-22-2016, 01:53 PM
cant shoot... no!

palangi
05-22-2016, 02:03 PM
cant shoot... no!
And here I thought there was more to basketball than shooting. I wonder how Shaq, Ben Wallace, Steven Adams, Dwight Howard, and many others made it in the league.

lmbebo
05-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Yahoo article estimates that his price in the free market will be $12-14 million.

Out of our price range? Read some where else that he needs like a chris paul kind of PG to set him up to do stuff.

Not sure if he's just a flash in the pain player right now or the real deal?

I personally think he's prob more of a $8 ish a year player. But someone will pay him big bucks based on his last game performance.

LkrFan
05-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Nope, unless you got a maximum slot. He's about to get paid. Hopefully by my Lakers. :toast

Spurs9
05-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Yahoo article estimates that his price in the free market will be $12-14 million.

Out of our price range? Read some where else that he needs like a chris paul kind of PG to set him up to do stuff.

I personally think he's prob more of a $8 ish a year player. But someone will pay him big bucks based on his last game performance.
Yeah some team will definitely overpay for him. Maybe the Spurs can find another gem to develop. Maybe Thon Maker can dip down low enough for us, or trade away some dude like Diaw for a higher pick.

palangi
05-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Yeah some team will definitely overpay for him. Maybe the Spurs can find another gem to develop. Maybe Thon Maker can dip down low enough for us, or trade away some dude like Diaw for a higher pick.
Thon Maker would be a good developmental guy
Prince Ibeh in the second round is a bigger version of Biyombo
youssoue Ndoye would also be a possibility to develop.

all cheap and obtainable.

lmbebo
05-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Spurs tend to like high character/high BBIQ players. Not sure if any of the above mentioned fit that stereotype

Kawhitstorm
05-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Spurs tend to like high character/high BBIQ players. Not sure if any of the above mentioned fit that stereotype
"He wags his finger after a block, he needs to get over himself":pop:

td4mvp2k
05-23-2016, 10:09 PM
And here I thought there was more to basketball than shooting. I wonder how Shaq, Ben Wallace, Steven Adams, Dwight Howard, and many others made it in the league.:lol @ comparing biyombo to them

ViceCity86
05-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Bioyombo=Jerome James

palangi
05-24-2016, 12:01 AM
:lol @ comparing biyombo to them
Seems pretty comparable. Sorry you can't see it. We are talking shooting. Not everything else.

Narrow minded people make me laugh.

rasuo214
05-24-2016, 01:02 AM

He's probably worth around that much but I think it's a lock he gets $20+ mil a year and if he continues this playoff performance I wouldn't be surprised if a team offered him the max for 2 or 3 years. He's a good player but no way is he worth that much.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2016, 04:18 AM

Your center should never be attempting shots from much further than that.

Doesn't matter anyway, as he's been discovered. He'll get a Jerome James contract from somebody.

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 06:49 AM
Seems pretty comparable. Sorry you can't see it. We are talking shooting. Not everything else.

Narrow minded people make me laugh.

:lol @ comparing bench player

MaNu4Tres
05-24-2016, 07:07 AM
Bioyombo=Jerome James

Jerome James had major weight problems that came back to bite him in the ass when the Knicks didn't put weight incentives in his contract like the Sonics did. He wore sauna suits every chance he could to meet those incentives when he was with Seattle.

Biyombo doesn't have those weight problems -- never has . He's quicker on his feet, a better PNR defender, a better rim protector and is a better rebounder.

He is not fat ass Jerome James.

sasaint
05-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Jerome James had major weight problems that came back to bite him in the ass when the Knicks didn't put weight incentives in his contract like the Sonics did. He wore sauna suits every chance he could to meet those incentives when he was with Seattle.

Biyombo doesn't have those weight problems -- never has . He's quicker on his feet, a better PNR defender, a better rim protector and is a better rebounder.

He is not fat ass Jerome James.

I admit I have not seen Biyombo play until theses playoffs. In addition to his physical assets, he has a nose for the ball that is very impressive.

palangi
05-24-2016, 08:56 AM
:lol @ comparing bench player
:lol @ ignorance!

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 10:15 AM
:lol @ ignorance!
https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/biz-3.gif

:lmao Bismiss

palangi
05-24-2016, 10:17 AM

:lol @ cherry picking to be oh so right on the Internet.

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 10:23 AM
:lol @ cherry picking to be oh so right on the Internet.:lol truth hurts

palangi
05-24-2016, 10:26 AM
:lol truth hurts
:lolCherry picking is truth?

UZER
05-24-2016, 10:31 AM

He won't play in the playoffs so it's a wasted spot.

Until Pop gets over his, "these playoffs aren't for him" shtick, bringing in young unproven or overseas guys is useless.

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 10:32 AM
:cry Cherry picking is truth? :cry:lol

palangi
05-24-2016, 10:34 AM
:lol
:downspin:

MaNu4Tres
05-24-2016, 10:34 AM
He'll be too expensive for SA.

Dallas makes a lot of sense.

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 10:39 AM
:downspin:

:( but but neither did ben, shaq, or howard :(

mudyez
05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
He probably is older than Timmy.

palangi
05-24-2016, 01:37 PM
:( but but neither did ben, shaq, or howard :(

exactly:lol

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
exactly:lolgood job owning it :tu

Kawhitstorm
05-24-2016, 02:28 PM
He'll be too expensive for SA.

Dallas makes a lot of sense.

Mavs need someone who can get them buckets especially since they don't have a PnR point-guard who can throw him lobs. Dwight makes more sense since he can score in the post 1-on-1 w/ Dirk & their shooters occupying the help defenders.

Biyombo could start for a team like the Hawks (if they lose Horford) or the Celtics. Pacers/Heat could also sign him if they lose Ian/Whiteside considering they already saw what he's capable of when they matched up in the earlier series.

Kawhitstorm
05-24-2016, 02:35 PM

There was a game last season when Biyombo was owning the Spurs in the paint:

ZkSRdVW6ELM

“I thought he was a monster,” Popovich said about Biyombo. “He’s so strong. So athletic. So young. We just didn’t have anybody. We were talking about gang rebounding; it didn’t matter. He was too much of an athlete for us.”
Popovich was asked if Biyombo’s presence was such that his guards had to stop going to the basket.
“Well, one would think that a reasonable individual, after being just humiliated several times in a row, would think of a different option,” he said. “But we weren’t that reasonable. We just kept doing it. It’s a mystery to me, too. That will certainly be on the film session: ‘What were you thinking?’ ”

Pop also coached him on Team Africa last summer.

hater
05-24-2016, 02:36 PM
"We just didn’t have anybody."

we still don't, Poop

palangi
05-24-2016, 02:42 PM

ZkSRdVW6ELM

let that fucking idiot think cherry picking one play makes him internet right. I'd hate for facts to fuck him in the face!!

daslicer
05-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Agree to disagree

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/5/24/11606034/bismack-biyombo-free-agent-nba-playoffs-toronto-raptors

This article proves what I told you earlier about him which was he thought he could be a star in Charlotte instead of focusing on being a role player. In the article coach Clifford told him to focus on being a defensive player but he didn't always comply with that type of role. He finally complied with being a defensive stopper after Ujiri told him that it was the only way for him to be effective. Basically this guy had to hear the same thing twice just from a different person before he figured it out.

Kawhitstorm
05-24-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/5/24/11606034/bismack-biyombo-free-agent-nba-playoffs-toronto-raptors

This article proves what I told you earlier about him which was he thought he could be a star in Charlotte instead of focusing on being a role player. In the article coach Clifford told him to focus on being a defensive player but he didn't always comply with that type of role. He finally complied with being a defensive stopper after Ujiri told him that it was the only way for him to be effective. Basically this guy had to hear the same thing twice just from a different person before he figured it out.

He's basically the African Ben Wallace.:lol

BatManu20
05-24-2016, 03:51 PM
No chance. He's getting paid this offseason.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Imagine Jean Charles trying to box out kanter and Adams

td4mvp2k
05-24-2016, 04:12 PM

ZkSRdVW6ELM

Pop also coached him on Team Africa last summer.This is Bismiss on offense vs the Mavs this season:679806992412753921
“In the preseason he just didn’t play very well,” coach Steve Clifford said. “When he has the right energy level and thinking defense and rebounding, he has nights when he plays well. When he doesn’t do those things, the team doesn’t play as well when he’s out there.” “He and I have been talking about this for two years now – he’s got to be a more consistent effort, defense and rebounding player,” Clifford said.

His coach in Charlotte last year.

SpursforSix
05-24-2016, 04:13 PM
He's basically the African Ben Wallace.:lol

I thought Ben Wallace was the African Ben Wallace.

NameLess Scrub
05-24-2016, 04:19 PM
No chance. He's getting paid this offseason.

SAGirl
05-24-2016, 07:40 PM

ZkSRdVW6ELM

I remember watching that game. Pop knows of our rebounding woes. I know we didn't have cap last season, but damn.
We have had this need for a while.
I would go after him. I remember thinking Raptors got a heck of a deal last season with him bc he was a raw big but I do remember having watched that specific game and thought he had the Tristan Thompson energy.
F* the rest of the FA we might go after. Lets go after his guy and take care of guard needs next season.

The reason? Isn't he already a beast of an athlete and just 23 or 24 yrs old or something?
youth - check
athleticism - check
international foreign player with good attitude - check
rebounding - check
rolling to the basket - check
blue collar mentality - check
yesh!
What is there not to like, not a jumpshooter, undeveloped offensively? Who cares? You want him very close to the basket guzzling rebounds all the time. Could play with the bench or starter crew depending on what they want.

Just one question, does he coast like Diaw through the season?

spurtech09
05-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Raptors win the NBA championship.....He will stay with the Raps.

objective
05-24-2016, 08:53 PM
I don't see how anyone who's watched LJC would compare his game to Biyombo.

He's Biyombo without the strength, rebounding or shotblocking.

SAGirl
05-25-2016, 12:13 AM
I don't see how anyone who's watched LJC would compare his game to Biyombo.

He's Biyombo without the strength, rebounding or shotblocking.
Talk to palangi about that.. lol

.G.
05-25-2016, 01:48 AM
He has a bright future in the NBE.

palangi
05-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Whoa there girl! I never compared LJC to Biyombo. I don't think LJC should come over. But I'm glad you're thinking of me.

05-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Was kind of hoping the Raptors get eliminated early in the playoffs so the Spurs won't be scared away by his price range. But Biyombo's stock is rising with every passing game. Even though he's 6'9, the guy's standing reach is ridiculous at 9' 3 + great athleticism. He already knows how to shot block and rebound, which are all the skills the Spurs need next to Aldridge. This guy is ready to contribute to a playoff team. And he's only 23? Can't get any better than that.

If the Spurs were to throw big money at a free agent this year, Biyombo would be my choice. I wouldn't mind the Spurs clearing $15 million to sign him but he might get more than that.

palangi
05-25-2016, 05:18 PM
What makes me laugh here is that it is your boy chinook that has pushed for LJC, not me. Way to throw him under the bus. :rollin

SAGirl
05-25-2016, 05:20 PM
What makes me laugh here is that it is your boy chinook that has pushed for LJC, not me. Way to throw him under the bus. :rollin
friendly poke lol

SAGirl
05-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Was kind of hoping the Raptors get eliminated early in the playoffs so the Spurs won't be scared away by his price range. But Biyombo's stock is rising with every passing game. Even though he's 6'9, the guy's standing reach is ridiculous at 9' 3 + great athleticism. He already knows how to shot block and rebound, which are all the skills the Spurs need next to Aldridge. This guy is ready to contribute to a playoff team. And he's only 23? Can't get any better than that.

If the Spurs were to throw big money at a free agent this year, Biyombo would be my choice. I wouldn't mind the Spurs clearing $15 million to sign him but he might get more than that.
I agree with you. If we can only afford one guy, he would be worth it as he's still so young as to last us the entirety of his K and get better with each passing season in terms of bang for the buck. What looks like overpriced right now will not be so in a couple of seasons when he will still be 25 yrs old.

I think Raptors will do whatever they can to keep him, but they also have Derozen to worry about. I don't know their cap situation, but if I were them and tied up in cap, I would move guys b4 letting him go. It is probably an unlikely target for that reason.

palangi
05-25-2016, 05:25 PM
friendly poke lol
Are you back pedaling after realizing you threw your boy under the bus?

SAGirl
05-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Are you back pedaling after realizing you threw your boy under the bus?
omg here you go with the contrarianisms, whatever palangi. if you can't take a friendly poke without an argument think what you will. I do not care...

here it is for you--->:toast

palangi
05-25-2016, 06:26 PM
omg here you go with the contrarianisms, whatever palangi. if you can't take a friendly poke without an argument think what you will. I do not care...

here it is for you--->:toast

You seen hyper sensative.

Making up a lie is not a friendly poke.

Just seems like you realized you made a mistake and are now trying to say it is a joke.

SAGirl
05-25-2016, 06:38 PM
You seen hyper sensative.

Making up a lie is not a friendly poke.

Just seems like you realized you made a mistake and are now trying to say it is a joke.
ok whatever, again.

ace3g
05-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Sean Deveney Verified account ‏@SeanDeveney (https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney) Bismack Biyombo has NBA execs talking $17 million a year — but not max, yet

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/bismack-biyombo-toronto-raptors-2016-free-agency-los-angeles-lakers-boston-celtics-chicago-bulls-houston-rockets/gmhq185wbjpw15rmhj6cdwdiz?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

tholdren
05-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Sean Deveney Verified account ‏@SeanDeveney (https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney) Bismack Biyombo has NBA execs talking $17 million a year — but not max, yet

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/bismack-biyombo-toronto-raptors-2016-free-agency-los-angeles-lakers-boston-celtics-chicago-bulls-houston-rockets/gmhq185wbjpw15rmhj6cdwdiz?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LOLOLOLOLOLOL NBA EXECS = NO HS DIPLOMA

spursistan
05-25-2016, 07:42 PM

CROFL

Kawhitstorm
05-25-2016, 07:50 PM

He's better than DeAndre who's getting the MAX.:wakeup

tholdren
05-25-2016, 07:57 PM
He's better than DeAndre who's getting the MAX.:wakeup
LOL

05-25-2016, 09:20 PM

No surprise here. With a $26 million max, a $17 million contract looks downright reasonable. If that's all Biyombo wants, Spurs should throw their hat in the ring.

ducks
05-25-2016, 10:30 PM
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/25/report-bismack-biyombo-could-command-17-million-per-year-in-free-agency/

ViceCity86
05-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Biyombo=Jerome James