PDA

View Full Version : Report: Pop ready to part ways with Diaw; Thomas Robinson possible replacement

Uriel
05-23-2016, 06:45 AM
Excerpts from an article by Buck Harvey of the SA Express-News titled "Popovich closer to saying bye to Bobo"

But what happened last week suggests this relationship is closer to the end than it has ever been. Popovich gave up on Diaw in Oklahoma City, and it wasn’t because of an injury or matchups.

As it has been before, Popovich sees something in Diaw that he doesn’t get.

Popovich kept pushing Diaw back into the flow, sometimes with humor and sometimes with anger. But this season, according to staff, Popovich thought Diaw too often reverted to his hippo ways.

Last week it came to a head. After Diaw had been ineffective against the Thunder, Popovich reacted in Game 6 as he had before. Every Spur played except for Diaw. It was his only DNP of the season.

But Diaw is now 34 years old, and his contract has a clause that could help the Spurs change this summer. While Diaw is scheduled to earn $7 million next year, the Spurs will owe him only $3 million if they release him by June 30.
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Popovich-closer-to-saying-bye-to-Bobo-7513875.php?t=284f6447e5ebaa2aab&cmpid=twitter-premium

And an excerpt from an article by Jabari Young of the SA Express-News:

And if the Spurs are considering parting ways with the 34-year-old Diaw, as Express-News columnist Buck Harvey suggested (http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Popovich-closer-to-saying-bye-to-Bobo-7513875.php), Robinson could fill the void.

Said Popovich when asked if the team needs more youth: “Well I think when you look at the team, having a little bit more quickness and youth is definitely part of the equation.”

The connection to Robinson: Spurs GM R.C. Buford has been a fan of the former University of Kansas standout for quite sometime. Buford has ties to the school from his days as an assistant coach under Larry Brown.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2016/05/17/thomas-robinson-expected-to-opt-out-of-contract-with-nets-could-spurs-be-an-option/

jermaine
05-23-2016, 07:10 AM
I could see this bothering Parker an him wanting to be traded!

Emperor
05-23-2016, 07:16 AM
If Parker should be bothered by anything it's his friend Bobo's laziness.

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2016, 07:45 AM
It's a shame because he can be a real deus ex machina for us in the post when he actually tries, but he didn't really try this year in the playoffs. If this news is true, I hope they ship out the other french fry with him.

GSH
05-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Getting rid of D-cow and shaving $4M off the cap seems like a good move. He's full of ability and potential, even at his age, but he sure didn't live up to it this year.

Thomas Robinson? Well at least they won't have a lot of competition to sign him. He had one good year in college (junior year I think), and declared for the draft. Everyone had high expectations, and he went pretty early in the draft - and then did absolutely nothing. He got traded to Houston in the first year of his rookie contract. Houston ditched him at the end of the season. In the third year of his rookie contract, he got traded before the deadline, and his new team waived him right away. I think he's on the second year of a 2-year min contract with the Nets.

Yay!!!

I guess the FO thinks they can get that un-tapped potential out of him? Who knows, maybe they can. But we're sitting here talking about how Pop couldn't get the best out of Diaw. Since he's still under contract, what will they send to Brooklyn?

SPURt
05-23-2016, 08:30 AM
If Parker should be bothered by anything it's his friend Bobo's laziness.
This. If my childhood friend and I worked the job we dreamed about as children and he didn't care enough to do the minimum (staying in shape even if age takes over) I'd be pissed at the friend.

kobyz
05-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Second move after Diaw should be to also part ways with the most overrated player, Quinton Ross clone - Danny Green...

Twisted_Dawg
05-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Maybe getting cut by the Spurs, will motivate Diaw to lose 30 lbs. Getting tired of RC's being enamored with players he has a connection with: Cojo over Jimmy Butler, and now Thomas Robinson. Wasn't it in the last millennium that Burford was at Kansas?

baseline bum
05-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Maybe getting cut by the Spurs, will motivate Diaw to lose 30 lbs. Getting tired of RC's being enamored with players he has a connection with: Cojo over Jimmy Butler, and now Thomas Robinson. Wasn't it in the last millennium that Burford was at Kansas?

Because everyone knew Butler was going to become a star.

GSH
05-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Nobody knew, except for R.C. But he intentionally took CoJo because he's from Canada, and that sounds a lot like Kansas. And that's the reason the Spurs didn't win #6 this year. :rolleyes

Chinook
05-23-2016, 09:37 AM
This isn't football. Pure cap space is overrated in the NBA. If Diaw is released it will be part of a more ambitious plan than just Robinson. He might be part of it, but money-balling Diaw's production into less money isn't going to be the main goal.

Twisted_Dawg
05-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Nobody knew, except for R.C. But he intentionally took CoJo because he's from Canada, and that sounds a lot like Kansas. And that's the reason the Spurs didn't win #6 this year. :rolleyes

I think he drafted Joseph because Joseph was friends, or room mates, with Buford's son at UT.

Twisted_Dawg
05-23-2016, 09:44 AM

I'll take a guy that played at Marquette for three years over a one and done at UT. Notice that GSW's strategy is to draft players that play 3 or more years in college?

baseline bum
05-23-2016, 09:52 AM
I'll take a guy that played at Marquette for three years over a one and done at UT. Notice that GSW's strategy is to draft players that play 3 or more years in college?

Harrison Barnes?

Twisted_Dawg
05-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Harrison Barnes?

Oh, gee, Harrison Barnes played ONLY 2 years at basketball factory NC. Draymond Green 4 years at Michigan. Klay Thompson 3 years, Curry 3 years, Ezeli 4 years at Vanderbilt.

baseline bum
05-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Oh, gee, Harrison Barnes played ONLY 2 years at basketball factory NC. Draymond Green 4 years at Michigan. Klay Thompson 3 years, Curry 3 years, Ezeli 4 years at Vanderbilt.

LOL at you shitting on RC Buford, perhaps the greatest GM in league history when it comes to the draft, because he picked a solid rotation player at 29.

SpursforSix
05-23-2016, 10:28 AM
It's a shame because he can be a real deus ex machina for us in the post when he actually tries, but he didn't really try this year in the playoffs. If this news is true, I hope they ship out the other french fry with him.

There is no doubt in my mind that is the first time someone has referred to Bobo as a deus ex machina.

In fact, when I Google "Boris Diaw deus ex machina", it only pops up a few articles mentioning Boris and his espresso machine.

Twisted_Dawg
05-23-2016, 11:04 AM
LOL at you shitting on RC Buford, perhaps the greatest GM in league history when it comes to the draft, because he picked a solid rotation player at 29.

You might want to check on Jerry West's body of work when it comes to the draft at LA, Memphis (exec of year), and member of the GSW front office since 2011. I'm not shitting on RC as he and the front office have been good at finding FA players to plug and play. But in the last 10 years of drafting, what players drafted are still on our team that can play? Kawhi by extension of Hill? Jury still out on Anderson? You think any of our Euros are going to make a big impact in the NBA? Betting the farm on Livio? Right now our roster is woefully short of young athletic players.

SpursforSix
05-23-2016, 11:08 AM
You might want to check on Jerry West's body of work when it comes to the draft at LA, Memphis (exec of year), and member of the GSW front office since 2011. I'm not shitting on RC as he and the front office have been good at finding FA players to plug and play. But in the last 10 years of drafting, what players drafted are still on our team that can play? Kawhi by extension of Hill? Jury still out on Anderson? You think any of our Euros are going to make a big impact in the NBA? Betting the farm on Livio? Right now our roster is woefully short of young athletic players.

Yeah...it's got me wondering how effective this is all going to turn out. Having the Big Three may have just been masking what a disastrous plan this is going to turn out to be. Seems like all of a sudden, one of the teams perceived as deep is pretty damn top heavy. With not any real potentially special players.

baseline bum
05-23-2016, 11:14 AM

So now you're complaining that he turned a late first round pick Hill into Leonard? Pretty cherry picked criteria you have after the Spurs salary dumped quality players he drafted to land Aldridge. Why 10 years and not 15? So you can disregard how hard he pushed to take Parker?

Chinook
05-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Robinson sucks. And screw who ever got after me for saying he's the same height as Danny Green. Dude looks like a wing out there.

Tully365
05-23-2016, 11:28 AM
The Robinson connection is complete speculation by the writer... there's no reason to really believe that Buford or Pop have any serious interest in him. Using the approach of this article, you could say Buford has a "connection" to literally dozens of players in the league, 90% of them peripheral...

Budkin
05-23-2016, 11:30 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that is the first time someone has referred to Bobo as a deus ex machina.

In fact, when I Google "Boris Diaw deus ex machina", it only pops up a few articles mentioning Boris and his espresso machine.

:lmao :bobo

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Thomas Robinson > Tristan Thompson

SAGirl
05-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Kevon Looney? 1 and done at Ucla.

TimDunkem
05-23-2016, 11:53 AM
I remember arguing with TD 21, before and after the draft, about how the Spurs should have taken a shot on Jimmy Butler with their pick. He insisted that Butler was going to be a scrub.

midnightpulp
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Good riddance. Thanks for 2014, but he's worn out his welcome.

And it's frustrating, because a motivated and in-shape (at least stamina wise) Boris is a huge, huge asset. What Lamar Odom was to the repeat Lakers, Boris was to the Spurs. A unique player that presents a variety of matchup challenges. But he obviously got lazy and content after 2014. I think his decline is an underrated reason the Spurs flamed out. Remember, he dropped 26 on the Thunder in the 2014 WCF closeout game.

Now he just takes pictures with Cappuccino machines.

timtonymanu
05-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Good riddance. Thanks for 2014, but he's worn out his welcome.

And it's frustrating, because a motivated and in-shape (at least stamina wise) Boris is a huge, huge asset. What Lamar Odom was to the repeat Lakers, Boris was to the Spurs. A unique player that presents a variety of matchup challenges. But he obviously got lazy and content after 2014. I think his decline is an underrated reason the Spurs flamed out. Remember, he dropped 26 on the Thunder in the 2014 WCF closeout game.

Now he just takes pictures with Cappuccino machines.

Went from this shape:
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/450687382-boris-diaw-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-poses-for-a.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54841FCAAD9B437B420 B911521C8CF9820E0061ADAE5E6FBF1D&b=ODdE

to this:
http://www.rantsports.com/nba/files/2014/10/Boris-Diaw.jpg

in just 4 months after the championship. His play the last two seasons just reaffirms it.

timtonymanu
05-23-2016, 01:39 PM
BoBo is one of my favorite Spurs ever. It will suck if he gets moved because he's still a damn good player. Unfortunately, he's still as lazy as ever and the Spurs need hungrier (not the T Park kind of hungry) and younger players.

Leetonidas
05-23-2016, 01:46 PM
id rather keep fat fuck Diaw than sign Thomas Robinson. isn't he the lotto pick that played on like 4 teams in his first 2 years?

lmbebo
05-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah. if he was motivated, he's an awesome player to have on your team. Bobo this last year is an unmotivated waist of a spot. Its a shame because he really is superbly talented.

spursistan
05-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Only Duncan and Manu should be allowed to "take a spot" on next season team, and even that is probably going to derail the team rebuilding some...but then again PATFO may have had set their sights on the much intriguing 2017 FA class (almost sure now Durant re-ups for at least another season in OKC) when a major team overhaul will occur that summer including trading Parker..

If this team bring back Bonner/Diaw or overpay for a washed-up West, they have learned nothing from their debacle..they virtually got nothing from their 5-12 players in the playoffs..

cd021
05-23-2016, 02:27 PM
One of my favorite Spurs ever, but I think it is time.

apalisoc_9
05-23-2016, 02:29 PM
No time for lazy bums tbh. Parker etc...no more lazy, sstisfied players.

hater
05-23-2016, 02:30 PM

So who's replacing Manu?

apalisoc_9
05-23-2016, 02:33 PM
So who's replacing Manu?

Manu is on a striclty seafood diet and you wont him out? Silly. Maybe you should look at the beef and chicken lovers of the team..Diaw, Aldridge, Parker, West etc.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Only Duncan and Manu should be allowed to "take a spot" on next season team, and even that is probably going to derail the team rebuilding some...but then again PATFO may have had set their sights on the much intriguing 2017 FA class (almost sure now Durant re-ups for at least another season in OKC) when a major team overhaul will occur that summer including trading Parker..

If this team bring back Bonner/Diaw or overpay for a washed-up West, they have learned nothing from their debacle..they virtually got nothing from their 5-12 players in the playoffs..

West will get paid and he should. Its not his fault that Adams and Kanter are way the fuck taller than him. Also you know the Spurs made a wink wink deal with him coming here. He will get a 4 million dollar deal.

spursistan
05-23-2016, 02:41 PM
to be fair, even Parker has put an effort into playing some defense this season and looks slimmer than last year but he is just declined so much..Diaw OTH shamelessly checked out the moment he broke out that coffee machine for the media in mid December..

GSH
05-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Went from this shape:

to this:

in just 4 months after the championship. His play the last two seasons just reaffirms it.

Holy shit! I knew he had bulked up, but that was just four months later? When people questioned if the Spurs were hungry, I guess that didn't include Boris. I hope he's invested his money well, because he's got to be spending a fortune on groceries and new wardrobes.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Gonna be a bummer if Spurs let go of Diaw. I get why they'd do it, but when motivated Diaw was one of the few Spurs who could actually cause matchup issues for opposing teams.

GSH
05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Gonna be a bummer if Spurs let go of Diaw. I get why they'd do it, but when motivated Diaw was one of the few Spurs who could actually cause matchup issues for opposing teams.

He gets paid $7M per year, plays for one of the best organizations in the league, and had a shot at winning an NBA Championship. If that's not enough to motivate a guy, he probably needs to be cut loose. I can sort of understand a guy playing in Philly not feeling like giving 110%. But new players in SA have always talked about the motivation and focus here. At least they used to. Diaw sure as shit hasn't looked like an example of that the last couple of seasons. Now that I think about it, I remember lots of people making excuses about him being like Robert Horry, and that he would "show up in the playoffs". That's a pretty good sign that he wasn't showing up in the regular season.

I don't know... those pictures really pissed me off. He went from NBA Champion to Free Willy in four months.

poeticism707
05-23-2016, 03:37 PM
id rather keep fat fuck Diaw than sign Thomas Robinson. isn't he the lotto pick that played on like 4 teams in his first 2 years?

This.

Cut Diaw if you can't trade him,

BUT DO NOT SIGN ROBINSON.

elemento
05-23-2016, 03:41 PM
lol @ Thomas Robinson as a replacement.

Dude is garbage. He looked like Nate Robinson when BK tried to match up him against Boban. So hopeless it was sad to watch. :lol

Small, low BBIQ, shit defender, can't shoot. He isn't even an upgrade over Bonner tbh

Don't want.

As for Bobo, good riddance. I love him and appreciate his help during all those years, especially 2014, but you have to be in shape to play for an elite team in the NBA.

SPURt
05-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Holy shit! I knew he had bulked up, but that was just four months later? When people questioned if the Spurs were hungry, I guess that didn't include Boris. I hope he's invested his money well, because he's got to be spending a fortune on groceries and new wardrobes.
It looks like Diaw was probably the hungriest Spur that summer

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2016, 04:25 PM

I guess that's a little generous... but I put that because when Diaw put his mind to it he could literally score in the paint any time he wanted to (any time we needed a bucket).

I suppose the prototypical "deus ex machina" is the guy we all created in NBA 2k or NBA Live some years ago who was 7'6" and could drive, shoot, score, run fast, play great defense both from the perimeter and inside, block tons of shots, lead fastbreaks, make free throws, break ankles... etc.

UZER
05-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Diaw will sign with GS.

SD126
05-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Should have let his fat ass walk after #5.

objective
Robinson is awful, and he was one of those crap bigs that Aldridge had to play next to in Portland that helped him decide to move on from the blazers.

Keepin' it real
I've never heard of Thomas Robinson, but the fact that so many of you oppose bringing him in makes me think the Spurs should sign him.

spurtech09
05-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Went from this shape:
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/450687382-boris-diaw-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-poses-for-a.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54841FCAAD9B437B420 B911521C8CF9820E0061ADAE5E6FBF1D&b=ODdE

to this:

in just 4 months after the championship. His play the last two seasons just reaffirms it.All that steak and Mexican food.....

spurtech09
05-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Spurs need a PG to replace Patty Mills.....

Cklbmk
05-23-2016, 05:32 PM

It was actually Kawhi over Butler.

They wernt' drafting 2 SFs back to back when we needed a PG.

Cklbmk
05-23-2016, 05:38 PM
So who's replacing Manu?

Kyle Anderson clearly.

TD 21
05-23-2016, 05:46 PM
lol @ Thomas Robinson as a replacement.

Dude is garbage. He looked like Nate Robinson when BK tried to match up him against Boban. So hopeless it was sad to watch. :lol

Small, low BBIQ, shit defender, can't shoot. He isn't even an upgrade over Bonner tbh

Don't want.

As for Bobo, good riddance. I love him and appreciate his help during all those years, especially 2014, but you have to be in shape to play for an elite team in the NBA.

Robinson obviously wouldn't be a Diaw replacement. If they sign him, it'll be as a fifth big, who can push Marjanovic for fourth big and play ahead of him in certain match-ups.

I don't particularly want him, but I wouldn't be opposed to him in that role. Sure, you'd like to do better, but this isn't '12-'15 anymore, when they had virtually unprecedented third unit depth. They're going to need to plug some holes for cheap and that's going to mean having a few players of his ilk.

tholdren
05-23-2016, 05:50 PM
lol - SA news making Boris the scapegoat? Put it where it lies - LMA, KL, David West.

spursistan
05-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Went from this shape:

to this:

^^ disgusting ..I don't want any part of him.I wouldn't mind Mills back in hope he regains his shot, but i have no truck with guys whose work ethic is the real issue here..

ducks
05-23-2016, 06:14 PM
I've never heard of Thomas Robinson, but the fact that so many of you oppose bringing him in makes me think the Spurs should sign him.
watch the nba other then spurs

therealtruth
05-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Diaw knew he would need some extra weight to go against OKC's big guys. Unfortunately Pop never figured it out.

rasuo214
05-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Love Diaw but the team needs guys that can rebound and more athleticism. If he's the one to go then it is what it is but he wouldn't be my first choice. Don't know if Robinson is the solution though.

spurtech09
05-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Diaw needs to go o his old self....Get back in shape......

Keepin' it real
05-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Diaw knew he would need some extra weight to go against OKC's big guys. Unfortunately Pop never figured it out.

:lol

He needed extra height, not weight.

sasaint
05-23-2016, 08:37 PM
to be fair, even Parker has put an effort into playing some defense this season and looks slimmer than last year but he is just declined so much..Diaw OTH shamelessly checked out the moment he broke out that coffee machine for the media in mid December..

I do not believe he ever checked "in" last season.

sasaint
05-23-2016, 08:47 PM

I would not be surprised to see PATFO will do a "mini-tank" and do just what you said. I would not be surprised to see the Spurs make a cheap tweak or two this off-season, but bring back most of the roster, settling for a low-seed playoff spot next season to dump the entire "Old Guard" and do a major overhaul in the 2017 off-season when the cap bumps up again.

J_Paco
05-23-2016, 08:55 PM

How stupid are you? Who has Jerry West drafted in the late first or second round that was as good as Parker and Ginobili?

In his time as GM, R.C. Burford has only drafted in the lottery once yet he's helped yield playoff caliber teams consistently for 19 seasons. Every player he drafted hasn't panned out, but he's found so many NBA caliber contributors it's almost ridiculous.

I didn't know R.C. had connections to Larry Brown and Kansas University too.

spurs10
05-23-2016, 09:06 PM
It's a pretty big jump thinking Pop wants to 'part ways' with Diaw because he didn't play in Game 6. Perhaps Diaw was injured, perhaps Pop saw what we all saw and realized West and Diaw weren't a good match against OKC. I think if they are going to 'part ways' it will part of a bigger plan as Chinook suggested. If West decides to opt in it might affect whether they bring him back

Down Under
05-23-2016, 09:40 PM
The threat to waive him could be enough to motivate him. This will be one of his last season's in the league and will know no one else wants him.

baseline bum
05-23-2016, 09:57 PM
How stupid are you? Who has Jerry West drafted in the late first or second round that was as good as Parker and Ginobili?

In his time as GM, R.C. Burford has only drafted in the lottery once yet he's helped yield playoff caliber teams consistently for 19 seasons. Every player he drafted hasn't panned out, but he's found so many NBA caliber contributors it's almost ridiculous.

I didn't know R.C. had connections to Larry Brown and Kansas University too.

How bout that time when West drafted Drew Gooden #4?

Kawhitstorm
05-23-2016, 11:08 PM

IMO, Presti is the best GM when it comes to talent evaluation. It was Presti that convinced PATFO to invite Porker for a pre-draft workout & look at what he has done at OKC.

TheDoctor
05-23-2016, 11:31 PM
IMO, Presti is the best GM when it comes to talent evaluation. It was Presti that convinced PATFO to invite Porker for a pre-draft workout & look at what he has done at OKC.

Keeping Perkins instead of Harden was his biggest mistake but that had nothing to do with talent evaluation. Still a poor move.

Kawhitstorm
05-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Keeping Perkins instead of Harden was his biggest mistake but that had nothing to do with talent evaluation. Still a poor move.

I believe that was an ownership move

TheGreatYacht
05-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Easily better at drafting, and it ain't close. How many euro stashes have the Spurs had as of late? :lol trading away picks that ended up having good careers, drafted fat head, etc...

I'm schleep tho

maverick1948
05-24-2016, 12:52 AM
If Duncan comes back, Robinson would be a good back up. He is a great rebounder and can score. Read the following article.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/thomas-robinson-journey/

With a family atmosphere like the Spurs, Robinson might surprise you.

Sean Cagney
05-24-2016, 01:08 AM
Manu is on a striclty seafood diet and you wont him out? Silly. Maybe you should look at the beef and chicken lovers of the team..Diaw, Aldridge, Parker, West etc.

Beef and chicken does not make you fat though TBH, the bun around it though might... Or the other stuff on the plate. I think the booze might have something to do with it as well with Diaw, just a hunch. Timmay eats meat and stays lean, low carb though... I know tons of folks who lost on a high fat moderate protein low carb diet, myself included dropping 30 pounds :king:toast

On a side note Robinson would be a solid pick up.

cd021
05-24-2016, 04:48 AM
West will get paid and he should. Its not his fault that Adams and Kanter are way the fuck taller than him. Also you know the Spurs made a wink wink deal with him coming here. He will get a 4 million dollar deal.

I am pretty sure that Kantor is only around 6'10. I was listening to a podcast and the beat writer from OKC said that he was noticeably shorter than KD. Both are excellent on the glass and West has never been much more than above average. Diaw boards more like a 3 than a 4 it was an terrible combination in that series. Pop should have paired Boban with West much earlier.

dbreiden83080
05-24-2016, 05:31 AM
If Diaw's work ethic ever matched his talent he might have been a max player and multiple time all star..

TheGreatYacht
05-24-2016, 06:42 AM
If you want a rebounder, Thomas Robinson is your guy.

Keepin' it real
05-24-2016, 08:11 AM
If Diaw's work ethic ever matched his talent he might have been a max player and multiple time all star..

Yet somehow he's still a multi-millionaire international celebrity, NBA champion, going places you'll never go, sleeping with hotter women than you can imagine ... yeah, I think Boris is ok with that.

:bobo

dbreiden83080
05-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Yet somehow he's still a multi-millionaire international celebrity, NBA champion, going places you'll never go, sleeping with hotter women than you can imagine ... yeah, I think Boris is ok with that.

:bobo

And that's why there are the Duncan's of the world and the Diaw's. Good is never enough for the greats..

Spurs 4 The Win
05-24-2016, 12:31 PM
I am pretty sure that Kantor is only around 6'10. I was listening to a podcast and the beat writer from OKC said that he was noticeably shorter than KD. Both are excellent on the glass and West has never been much more than above average. Diaw boards more like a 3 than a 4 it was an terrible combination in that series. Pop should have paired Boban with West much earlier.

This. Pop really blew it in game 4. He had the perfect game to experiment with the lineup because it wasnt a must win and yet he sat there and played the retarded scrub lineup of Diaw and West and cost us the game per usual.

Keepin' it real
05-24-2016, 05:15 PM
And that's why there are the Duncan's of the world and the Diaw's. Good is never enough for the greats..

I agree, but w/o Diaw, there is no 5th title for the great Tim Duncan, so Diaw served his purpose.

elemento
05-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Kanter is 6'11 in shoes and he is actually taller than Howard or Cousins. Most Centers these days are not "authentic" 7 footers, like the Lopez brothers or Gobert. And he has always been a solid rebounder, despite his defensive flaws.

The problem in the OKC-Spurs matchup was not only size. It was also age/youth. Pop had 2 old 6'8/6'9 guys (one a career shit rebounder) against 2 6'11/7'0 players who happen to be 10 years younger, you have a receipt for a disaster, especially when Duncan was not healthy and struggling with both knees.

Yeah, Pop should have played Boban more, but we can't say that we haven't seen this movie before. 2011 and Splitter say hello.

cd021
05-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Kanter is 6'11 in shoes and he is actually taller than Howard or Cousins. Most Centers these days are not "authentic" 7 footers, like the Lopez brothers or Gobert. And he has always been a solid rebounder, despite his defensive flaws.

The problem in the OKC-Spurs matchup was not only size. It was also age/youth. Pop had 2 old 6'8/6'9 guys (one a career shit rebounder) against 2 6'11/7'0 players who happen to be 10 years younger, you have a receipt for a disaster, especially when Duncan was not healthy and struggling with both knees.

Yeah, Pop should have played Boban more, but we can't say that we haven't seen this movie before. 2011 and Splitter say hello.

I have heard and seen otherwise about Kanter, being on the small side on DX they have him at 6'9 3/4 without shoes so that might be what the beat writer was referring to or that KD is actually near 7'0.

OKCs rebounding is near historic, part of that is because of Westbrook penetration and him getting the other big to slide over to try and contest leaving Kantor and Adams free reign on the glass.

This is definitely a Splitter ''11 situation. Splitter actually had a excellent (possibly his best season the year after that playoff. He may have been ready to be at least a rotation player during the Memphis series.

My biggest gripe was Pop not putting Duncan on ZBo in the second halves of games, his length gives him problems.

cd021
05-24-2016, 07:37 PM
This. Pop really blew it in game 4. He had the perfect game to experiment with the lineup because it wasnt a must win and yet he sat there and played the retarded scrub lineup of Diaw and West and cost us the game per usual.

In an odd way Boban is like Chandler when he rolls to the basket, not in his athleticism but his size and length forces teams to collapse when he rolls in space because they are concerned about him catching the ball deep in the paint. Diaw is viewed as a floor spacer but is a surprisingly mediocre mid range shooter and doesn't take enough 3's to really guard him out there. Boban should be the backup five next season with West assuming both are back and the Spurs can't get Gasol or Horford. I think that they might be a better fit.

wildbill2u
05-24-2016, 10:10 PM
earlier in the year I mentioned that BOBO might be a tad jealous about the Spurs bringing West in and taking sone of his minutes. Most folks thought I was crazy, but once West became the first big off the bench, it looked to me like Bobo sulled up and quit. In one respect, he might have a right to be pissed since he was so critical in 2014 to the Beautiful Game strategy.

spursistan
05-25-2016, 01:52 PM
what makes me more believe he 'll be gone is that the Spurs have learned the past 2 years that Golden State-- against whom we are praying a 34-yo Bobo fatass show up-- isn't actually the roadblock in playoffs..

getting a traditional mobile big who can rebound/rim-protect/roll should be our main priority..

spursistan
06-17-2016, 12:53 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClGd5ohXIAQ7g-Q.jpg

are you kidding me? getting even more corpulent by the day..

CGD
06-18-2016, 09:15 AM
If this guy could be a poor mans Tristan Thompson you have to take a look. These last series the Warriors have played in have shown that offensive rebounding is key.

TheGreatYacht
06-18-2016, 12:16 PM
If this guy could be a poor mans Tristan Thompson you have to take a look. These last series the Warriors have played in have shown that offensive rebounding is key.
They're nearly identical.

Guess what though, Pop has admitted that he tells his guys not to go for offensive rebounds. He would rather them run back on defense.

He hates 3pt shooting and offensive rebounding. What a coach

polandprzem
06-18-2016, 12:26 PM
They're nearly identical.

Guess what though, Pop has admitted that he tells his guys not to go for offensive rebounds. He would rather them run back on defense.

He hates 3pt shooting and offensive rebounding. What a coach

If we just had a team with 3 point killers and full of athletic freaks. Try run one of the best rim protector in Tim.

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2016, 12:33 PM
:lol Thomas Robinson is an atrocious basketball player, tbh..why do so many fans here want other teams' trash?

A lot of people on this forum seem to think that every rejected player from another team is going to join the Spurs and become Danny Green:lol..Green is an anomaly, the instances of a player unable to get PT on another team and subsequently becoming a starter(or even a rotation player) on a top team are rare..for every Danny Green or Shaun Livingston, you have 100 scrubs that will continue to struggle, regardless of the logo on their jersey..

Robinson has ZERO offensive skill, low IQ, no basketball feel, and is a below average to poor defensive player..he's an under-sized rebounding specialist that has received every possible opportunity to build a productive career, yet still couldn't capitalize..

DPG21920
06-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Not only that ^ but he had the audacity to say he deserves 20+ MPG. Just ridiculous