PDA

View Full Version : Has the Spurs success ruining your NBA apetite?

SpursforSix
05-23-2016, 10:26 AM
I've always been a Spurs fan but when they weren't so good, I still used to watch a lot of other NBA games. Before League Pass, I'd always watch the TNT/TBS games on Tuesday and Friday. And the Bulls on WGN.

But since the Spurs started their run with Timmy, I've found myself watching less and less non-Spurs games. I really don't care much about the playoffs now that their out where in the past, I would have looked forward to a good OKC/GSW series. Mostly due to hating Draymond now, I hope OKC wins it all (assuming Toronto can't). But it doesn't make a big difference to me.

It's either 1 of 2 things or a combination of both:

1) League Pass - now that I can see every Spurs game, I don't have to settle for whatever TNT/TBS puts on.
2) The fact that the Spurs are always a legitimate contender means that every year, I become so vested in their run that if they get eliminated, I just don't want to watch anymore bball.

Keepin' it real
05-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Grammar school ... just sayin'.

Canyonero
05-23-2016, 11:25 AM
ruined*

SpursforSix
05-23-2016, 11:27 AM
ruined*

Bend over, I'll show you a ruined asterisk.

Canyonero
05-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Bend over, I'll show you a ruined asterisk.

Ew

SpursforSix
05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Ew

lolz

Mal
05-23-2016, 11:40 AM
NBA sucks, there is nothing to watch

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Explains the empty AT&T Center in the first and third quarters.

As for appetite, you don't gotta worry about that in San Antonio :lmao

NameLess Scrub
05-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Sounds a bit like my case.

TXstbobcat
05-23-2016, 01:03 PM
I try to watch some of the other games on TNT and ESPN but watching all of the Spurs games on league pass or on national TV takes up a lot of my time during the regular season. A lot of times on league pass if I see there is a close game in the fourth quarter I will watch the end of a non Spurs game. I try and watch as many playoff games as possible but by the time the Spurs are eliminated I usually feel like I need a break from watching basketball.

Keepin' it real
05-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Last season was a great NBA regular season due to western conference depth. I had league pass and was consistently entertained by teams other than the Spurs.

This season, other than the Spurs, GS and OKC, the league was unwatchable.

Also, in years past when the Spurs were eliminated, I was so upset that I would stop watching the playoffs. This year is different. OKC vs. GS is compelling, and the finals vs. LBJ will be too.

apalisoc_9
05-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Explains the empty AT&T Center in the first and third quarters.

As for appetite, you don't gotta worry about that in San Antonio :lmao

That's just it. The appetite explains the empty staduims..everyone's gobbling down their burritos. Even Beisbol fans are more passionate. 67 win team. On the verge of going 41-0..empty seats.

Vs thunder, empty seats.

But its ok right...i mean it was sold out. Doesbt matter if they are spending their time on the staduim bar or their seats...cuz it was sold right?

Even Atlanta had a better fan showing in the playoffs

houston spurs fan
05-23-2016, 02:58 PM
That's just it. The appetite explains the empty staduims..everyone's gobbling down their burritos. Even Beisbol fans are more passionate. 67 win team. On the verge of going 41-0..empty seats.

Vs thunder, empty seats.

But its ok right...i mean it was sold out. Doesbt matter if they are spending their time on the staduim bar or their seats...cuz it was sold right?

What do you base this on? I attended two playoff games and it was damn loud this year...I also caught the Spurs on the road this year in Atlanta and there is no comparison. Why do you hate on us fans down here when you've never attended a game?

apalisoc_9
05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Its been pretty documented how shitty the spurs actual attendence this year. Multiple articles about it. Even my biggest haters here see the dame thing.

Obstructed_View
05-23-2016, 03:23 PM
I think most fans probably lose interest after their team is eliminated. I haven't watched much of the WCF and none of the ECF since the Spurs were bounced. I'm starting to get interested again as my disappointment fades.

Obstructed_View
05-23-2016, 03:24 PM
What do you base this on? I attended two playoff games and it was damn loud this year...I also caught the Spurs on the road this year in Atlanta and there is no comparison. Why do you hate on us fans down here when you've never attended a game?

Not being in the arena gives people the impression that the arena isn't loud and that the fans aren't engaged. That said, there were a lot of seats for Spurs playoff games that looked like nobody ever showed up.

apalisoc_9
05-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Not being in the arena gives people the impression that the arena isn't loud and that the fans aren't engaged. That said, there were a lot of seats for Spurs playoff games that looked like nobody ever showed up.

Exactly. Appetently every game was sold out and I really have no problem believing that but its the empty seats in crucial games that makes it pretty pathetic. Tons of writers and media guys have said the same thing. There wsd even a photowork of it.

Casual spurs fans are probably just satisfied with the 2014 win.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Vs thunder, empty seats.

Embarrassing, tbh... The Spurs are the only thing this city has going for itself, and they can't even go 2 hours without eating to support their team :lol

snickles
05-24-2016, 12:58 PM
i posted my answer to this in a thread a few weeks back, so you guys get the short version.

life happens/priorities change

too many games in the regular season.

watered down leage

rising ticket prices, especially when you have to come from out of town

quality of product lowered (teams tanking, inconsistent officiating)

shitty attitudes of professional athletes.

its not just the NBA. its all pro sports in general. i used to watch everything. this year i actually missed a bunch of games the last month of the season, didn't even care.

Obi Juan Kenobi
05-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Wouldn't say ruined it...more liked refined it by cutting out all the crap that passes for "professional" basketball today...

Obi Juan Kenobi
05-24-2016, 05:00 PM
i posted my answer to this in a thread a few weeks back, so you guys get the short version.

life happens/priorities change

too many games in the regular season.

watered down leage

rising ticket prices, especially when you have to come from out of town

quality of product lowered (teams tanking, inconsistent officiating)

shitty attitudes of professional athletes.

its not just the NBA. its all pro sports in general. i used to watch everything. this year i actually missed a bunch of games the last month of the season, didn't even care.

:toast BTW love your Cliff Clavin avatar...love that show!!!

DMC
05-24-2016, 05:08 PM
No. It hasn't affected it. I never watched every game anyhow, not even every Spurs game. I watch a lot of them, but I watch other teams that have ball movement and smart coaches as well (few and far in between). I like the GS/OKC series a lot because you have the immovable object meeting the irresistible force. GS is the immovable object, having won 73 games this season and being defending champs. OKC is the irresistible force in that no one can stop RW from getting to the cup if he decides he's getting to the cup. You have guys on both teams who will get thrown out of the game for boneheaded plays, people who let emotions rule their games and often it's beneficial to the team but can be a detriment. You have the two best shooters in the NBA facing each other, both long range threats. One has to be picked up at the half court else you're not safe, and the other can't be guarded because he's almost 7 feet tall and can jump-shoot over anyone in the league except maybe Boban or Porzingod (if he can get his elevation). You have basically two rookie coaches, both with great success in their basketball careers outside of their current role (and Kerr with a ring and CotY already).

So it's fast paced and interesting because you feel one of these teams is going to probably beat the Cavs. So this is like the Finals, in a way and OKC really really really really wants this series and it's obvious. GS seems to think they're too gifted to lose, like the Patriots in the Superbowl.

K...
05-24-2016, 05:35 PM
I've always been a Spurs fan but when they weren't so good, I still used to watch a lot of other NBA games. Before League Pass, I'd always watch the TNT/TBS games on Tuesday and Friday. And the Bulls on WGN.

But since the Spurs started their run with Timmy, I've found myself watching less and less non-Spurs games. I really don't care much about the playoffs now that their out where in the past, I would have looked forward to a good OKC/GSW series. Mostly due to hating Draymond now, I hope OKC wins it all (assuming Toronto can't). But it doesn't make a big difference to me.

It's either 1 of 2 things or a combination of both:

1) League Pass - now that I can see every Spurs game, I don't have to settle for whatever TNT/TBS puts on.
2) The fact that the Spurs are always a legitimate contender means that every year, I become so vested in their run that if they get eliminated, I just don't want to watch anymore bball.

when have the spurs not been good? Are you calling in from 1991 or something? Before TV existed?

I don't watch other teams during the season because regular season is meaningless. Maybe the big daytime ABC games, but i am not going to care about the TNT games most nights just give me highlights.

The playoffs are different. I want to watch good teams when it matters.

SpursforSix
05-24-2016, 07:09 PM
when have the spurs not been good? Are you calling in from 1991 or something? Before TV existed?

I don't watch other teams during the season because regular season is meaningless. Maybe the big daytime ABC games, but i am not going to care about the TNT games most nights just give me highlights.

The playoffs are different. I want to watch good teams when it matters.

Yeah...before DRob. But there were also some teams with him that were not great. And during those years, I couldn't watch the Spurs unless they were on TNT or on the weekend televised game.

hater
05-24-2016, 07:24 PM
actually these semi finals are damn good.

Spurs were a shitty team and had no business being there.

the 4 teams that deserve it are in it.

therealtruth
05-24-2016, 07:40 PM
actually these semi finals are damn good.

Spurs were a shitty team and had no business being there.

the 4 teams that deserve it are in it.

They need to change the playoffs so it's just like the regular season. Then the Spurs would be a dynasty.