PDA

View Full Version : Bristow resigns as Hornets' GM

Kori Ellis
10-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Bristow resigns as Hornets' GM; Bower named replacement
By Jeff Latzke, The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY — Allan Bristow resigned as general manager of the New Orleans Hornets on Saturday, citing health concerns.
Bristow, 52, took over as the Hornets' general manager in June, when Bob Bass retired. He helped oversee the Hornets' temporary move to Oklahoma City, which was prompted by Hurricane Katrina.

"The stress and strain of the last month took a serious toll on various health problems that I was already facing before the hurricane," Bristow said in a statement. "After consulting with my physician, it became clear that stepping down was the only decision that made sense for me and my family."

Jeff Bower, the Hornets' director of player personnel, was promoted to replace Bristow. He also served as general manager from 2001-03, including the team's move from Charlotte to New Orleans in 2002. He'll now take over the team after another move, as the Hornets play 35 of their 41 home games in Oklahoma City this season.

Bristow played college basketball at Virginia Tech and spent 10 years in the NBA with Philadelphia, San Antonio, Utah and Dallas before retiring in 1983.

He was 207-203 in five seasons as the Hornets' coach from 1991-96. He has also served an assistant coach for the Denver Nuggets and San Antonio Spurs.

"Our first concern is Allan's health, but we have the utmost confidence that having Jeff in place will enable us to move on without missing a beat," Hornets President Paul Mott said. "His experience has made him knowledgeable about every facet of basketball operations and I look forward to having him use that insight to put the best possible team on the floor."

"Allan did a great job getting everything going with this whole process," Bower said. "What we have to do is continue it through and finish it off. ...

"We went through this a few years ago from Charlotte to New Orleans and a lot of the things are still fresh in our minds."

Bower joined the team in 1995 as an advance scout and has also served as an assistant coach in his 11 years with the team. He resigned as general manager after coach Paul Silas was fired in May 2003 but returned to the team the following year as director of player personnel.

"The thing you try to do is create an atmosphere and a culture that will allow people to be successful," Bower said. "... We've got great people in this organization who are really talented. I think the important thing in our position, in the front office, is to allow them to do their jobs and to be there to support them and help them."

Bower said the emphatic response from fans in Oklahoma City has been energizing. Fans have already reserved more than 7,500 season tickets and got their first chance to choose their seats at the Ford Center on Saturday.

"It makes you really get fired up about the possibilities that exist," Bower said.