PDA

View Full Version : Any Baylor fans here?

spurs1990
05-26-2016, 11:50 AM
I know there are a lot of Spurs fans who follow Baylor, so wondering what y'alls take on today's firing is.

I always thought Briles was a good guy and feel there's more to this story than what he did, or didn't do.
Once the media takes hold of this type of story, the narrative is impossible to control.

lebomb
05-26-2016, 11:52 AM
If he knew anything........absolutely anything about rape allegations, he should have done something. I personally think he ignored it or tried to brush it under the rug.

TFloss32
05-26-2016, 12:06 PM
If he knew anything........absolutely anything about rape allegations, he should have done something. I personally think he ignored it or tried to brush it under the rug.

Kermit
05-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Well, if you read the report you won't think he's such a good guy any more.

Splits
05-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Briles deserves what he got. I'm sure Penn State will come knocking.

As for Starr, fuck him. Couldn't have happened to a worse piece of shit. It's just too bad they're keeping him at the school.

Obstructed_View
05-26-2016, 02:30 PM

Clearly there's some proof that he did that. So fuck him. I rooted for a bottom-feeding team for 25 years. I'm not afraid to do it again. I don't even feel all that good about the winning now. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

The sad part is that other schools are going to fall all over themselves to give him millions of dollars. Every parent that pays tuition should prevent that, but they won't.

Blake
05-26-2016, 02:38 PM
The sad part is that other schools are going to fall all over themselves to give him millions of dollars. Every parent that pays tuition should prevent that, but they won't.

Doubtful. I think he gets a small mid major job at best.

Obstructed_View
05-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Doubtful. I think he gets a small mid major job at best.

I think your faith in human nature is stronger than mine. I think he'll end up in either the SEC or the ACC.

benefactor
05-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Agree with Blake. Anyway...Briles problems are just beginning. He's about to have civil suits crawling up his ass and setting up camp.

Findog
05-26-2016, 04:04 PM
If Bobby Petrino can live to coach another FBS program again, so will Briles.

Kermit
05-26-2016, 04:06 PM
If Bobby Petrino can live to coach another FBS program again, so will Briles.

What Petrino did and what Briles has done are in two completely different zones. Briles is another Paterno.

Obstructed_View
05-26-2016, 04:18 PM
What Petrino did and what Briles has done are in two completely different zones. Briles is another Paterno.

I don't disagree. But Paterno a) was past his expiration date as a coach and b) died. I'll believe that nobody's willing to take a chance on him when nobody does. I think Dave Bliss got another job somewhere.

pgardn
05-26-2016, 04:28 PM
I know there are a lot of Spurs fans who follow Baylor, so wondering what y'alls take on today's firing is.

I always thought Briles was a good guy and feel there's more to this story than what he did, or didn't do.
Once the media takes hold of this type of story, the narrative is impossible to control.

Well you thought wrong.

Read the report released by Baylor.

Obstructed_View
05-26-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm glad Baylor did the right thing, though it feels too little too late.

I'm now pretty convinced that they should never ever again interview a coach with winning games as a consideration.

Blake
05-26-2016, 07:29 PM
I think your faith in human nature is stronger than mine. I think he'll end up in either the SEC or the ACC.

Just too much baggage for him for the foreseeable future.

More of a PR thing than a human nature thing.

Pelicans78
05-26-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm glad Baylor did the right thing, though it feels too little too late.

I'm now pretty convinced that they should never ever again interview a coach with winning games as a consideration.

Winning games should be part of the consideration but the not only one which seemed to be the case with the program.

Obstructed_View
05-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Winning games should be part of the consideration but the not only one which seemed to be the case with the program.

Not a single win should come at that kind of cost.

But you bring up an interesting point. It's not like the players that Briles basically sacrificed his career and his legacy for were difference makers. Hell, Nick Florence stepped in for Robert Griffin and did his job. Why the fuck do you cover for bad characters when you're getting progressively better recruiting classes every single year? Just so mystifyingly stupid.

clambake
05-27-2016, 09:40 AM
its not like he covered up a murder.

clambake
05-27-2016, 09:40 AM
as far as we know

clambake
05-27-2016, 10:33 AM
those baylor mission statements are a riot!

clambake
05-27-2016, 10:59 AM
baylor is certainly a "fixer upper"

time for jo and chip.

get it?

Blake
05-27-2016, 12:16 PM
How is anyone still employed in that staff?

It's absurd they haven't just axed them all

Obstructed_View
05-27-2016, 03:22 PM
How is anyone still employed in that staff?

It's absurd they haven't just axed them all

Briles said in his text to the team that the rest of the staff was staying intact. That can't be right.

Harry Callahan
05-27-2016, 03:33 PM

I hate it for all the Baylor alums who poured money and time into the program and have it all fall apart in just a few short months. Baylor's competition will be ruthless in recruiting.

There is probably an SEC school that will make a call to Briles. They are less transparent in general over there.

Harry Callahan
05-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Briles said in his text to the team that the rest of the staff was staying intact. That can't be right.

I would be surprised as well. Seems like this situation would result in some serious housecleaning. Art is trying to protect his guys if he can.

Harry Callahan
05-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Not a single win should come at that kind of cost.

But you bring up an interesting point. It's not like the players that Briles basically sacrificed his career and his legacy for were difference makers. Hell, Nick Florence stepped in for Robert Griffin and did his job. Why the fuck do you cover for bad characters when you're getting progressively better recruiting classes every single year? Just so mystifyingly stupid.

Agreed. I've got Baylor alums in my family and they are really bummed about the whole sorted mess......

Splits
05-27-2016, 04:26 PM
:lol at anyone who thinks Briles won't be re-hired by a school in a major conference.

He'll disappear for two years living off the $20m he's already got and re-emerge after :cry years of soul searching and prayer :cry

:cry my parents dieded in a car crash and they would be so disappointed if I didn't pick myself up :cry

College sports is one of the most amoral institutions in this country.

Kermit
05-27-2016, 05:46 PM
I hate it for all the Baylor alums who poured money and time into the program and have it all fall apart in just a few short months. Baylor's competition will be ruthless in recruiting.

There is probably an SEC school that will make a call to Briles. They are less transparent in general over there.

I feel bad for the victims, and the students and alums who understand the gravity of the situation. The people who poured money into the football program though seem to be the ones defending Briles. They can get fucked.

Kermit
05-27-2016, 05:48 PM
:lol at anyone who thinks Briles won't be re-hired by a school in a major conference.

He'll disappear for two years living off the $20m he's already got and re-emerge after :cry years of soul searching and prayer :cry

:cry my parents dieded in a car crash and they would be so disappointed if I didn't pick myself up :cry

If it ended right now and this was all the damage that was inflicted, yes. I'm sure much more is going to come out, not to mention the lawsuits he's party to. Dude might be pretty fucked.

Obstructed_View
05-27-2016, 06:03 PM
I feel bad for the victims, and the students and alums who understand the gravity of the situation. The people who poured money into the football program though seem to be the ones defending Briles. They can get fucked.

Yep. The ignorant comments on Facebook posts from Waco make me want to punch a baby.

Obstructed_View
05-27-2016, 06:04 PM
I would be surprised as well. Seems like this situation would result in some serious housecleaning. Art is trying to protect his guys if he can.

ESPN reporting that they offered Bennett the interim position. FML.

FkLA
05-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Damn, wish they would've fired him when UTSA was still looking for a coach.

Blake
05-30-2016, 07:38 PM

Then Baylor had no reason to fire him

Obstructed_View
05-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Then Baylor had no reason to fire him

Dave Bliss. An SEC team will give him a "second chance" in a couple of years and ESPN will make sure to endorse it.

pgardn
06-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Who the hell is in control in Waco?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/2/11836284/baylor-football-players-recruits-2016-freshmen-jp-urquidez

Everyone is hiding. They are now putting up names of specific Baylor staff, this is getting ridiculous. I wonder if the Big 12 is discussing how to drop them if they can't seem to get anything accomplished.

Harry Callahan
06-04-2016, 11:30 AM

Obviously - regarding the female students directly effected by the assailants it is an awful, awful situation. One that should have been addressed years ago by the school. Plausible deniability took over instead. The school was terrified of losing Briles and in the end he essentially left them anyway by looking the other way regarding players. The monied alums paid him hand over fist.

People/Alumni that put trust in Briles, some of his staff (apparently) and the AD were burned as well. There are thousands and thousands of great people at Baylor who deserve better and had absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

Baylor will be starting over - in some respects like the 80s SMU when everything comes out in the wash. Its going to get ugly down there.

Harry Callahan
06-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Dave Bliss. An SEC team will give him a "second chance" in a couple of years and ESPN will make sure to endorse it.

Dave Bliss was a complete fraud as a human being - that was really bad - throwing a dead player "under the bus" so to speak.

Thank goodness Texas didn't hire Briles - the search committee for a new coach would be up and running as we speak. UT has had enough embarrassment the last six years.

Obstructed_View
06-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Dave Bliss was a complete fraud as a human being - that was really bad - throwing a dead player "under the bus" so to speak.

Thank goodness Texas didn't hire Briles - the search committee for a new coach would be up and running as we speak. UT has had enough embarrassment the last six years.

Agreed on all points. My point was simply that Dave Bliss is the reason Baylor HAD to fire him. They might have dodged this bullet if they'd had clean programs all along.

They've handled this so poorly, trying to keep assistant coaches and trying to keep recruits that don't want to stay, I'd be surprised if they ever have a ranked football team again after this season.

Obstructed_View
09-26-2016, 11:26 AM

After Les Miles is fired, LSU reportedly reaches out to former Baylor coach Art Briles (http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/baylorbears/2016/09/25/les-miles-fired-lsu-reportedly-reaches-former-baylor-coach-art-briles)

UNT Eagles 2016
10-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Surprised they're still undefeated?

Blake
10-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Surprised they're still undefeated?

Yeah, I thought Okie St would get me tbh