PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Houston Rockets are finalizing a deal to make Mike D'Antoni their coach

Chris
05-26-2016, 04:25 PM
:lol

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15751327/houston-rockets-finalizing-deal-mike-dantoni

Chris
05-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Clipper Nation
05-26-2016, 04:32 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao FOUR YEARS OF D'ANTONI :lmao:lmao:lmao

Big Dog
05-26-2016, 04:33 PM
:lmao djohn2oo8
:lmao Bruce Wayne
:lmao "Jigsaw"
:lmao purednuht

D-Wade
05-26-2016, 04:35 PM
McFail 2 'Antoni :lmao

05-26-2016, 04:49 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao FOUR YEARS OF D'ANTONI :lmao:lmao:lmao

Splits
05-26-2016, 04:57 PM
:lmao

:cry Dwert pls :cry

Double-Up
05-26-2016, 05:19 PM
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Pure+luck+every+morning+i+put+a+_1bb67329f704d0df6 8cfaa6924713850.jpg

angrydude
05-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Les Alexander finally got the coach he's wanted for the past 10 years.

RsxPiimp
05-26-2016, 05:26 PM
"This is why you don't hire the first coach you interviewed"
djohn2008- 05/09/2016

ends up with d'antoni

InRareForm
05-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Todays nba

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 05:45 PM
"This is why you don't hire the first coach you interviewed"
djohn2008- 05/09/2016

ends up with d'antoni

Two things...

1. Who didn't see it coming?
2. Hiring a coach to run Dwight out of town is classic Leslie

ducks
05-26-2016, 05:45 PM
4 years WOW

Raven
05-26-2016, 05:47 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Stalin
05-26-2016, 05:50 PM
This should be good...:lmao

spursistan
05-26-2016, 05:52 PM

baseline bum
05-26-2016, 05:58 PM
http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljf60bi80E1qil3kvo1_1280.jpg

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 05:58 PM
4 years WOW

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/houston-rockets-owner-leslie-alexander-looks-on-during-game-two-of-picture-id474310234

Spurs9
05-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Man actually feel bad for Houston tbh

05-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Great hire

RsxPiimp
05-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Two things...

1. Who didn't see it coming?
2. Hiring a coach to run Dwight out of town is classic Leslie
seriously bro, what's the logic behind this one? Was les looking for an uptempo game etc

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 06:15 PM
seriously bro, what's the logic behind this one? Was les looking for an uptempo game etc

Les wants an uptempo offense to copy Golden State. He never wanted to rebuild either. I dont know his thinking but i do know he wanted a big name coach. Smh. He always wants a big name, no matter if its a player or a coach.

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Les Alexander was warned: Do the right thing, go young and bright.

The Rockets didn't listen to reason throughout their broken 2015-16 season.

They tuned the world out again Thursday, as news broke that Mike D'Antoni -- whose best NBA run came almost a decade ago -- will become the official coaching replacement to Kevin McHale.

Rising Charlotte assistant Stephen Silas was the smart choice. The Rockets interviewed about 52 other candidates, with many viewed as potential ahead-of-the-curve answers.

But Alexander did what he's always done since the last golden ball arrived in Houston more than 20 years ago. He went with the big, splashy name. He refused to build slow, overlooked the long-term play and simply bought the most expensive thing.

Which is fine if D'Antoni, 65, somehow magically resurrects his career and does in the fourth-largest city in the country what he failed to do in Los Angeles and New York. But that currently feels as reasonable as James Harden making the NBA All-Defensive team.

One of the greatest offensive players in the league was intentionally left off all three of the overall All-NBA teams on the same day D'Antoni was hired, which tells you just how much of a risk Alexander is taking at a critical point in Harden's career.

The Rockets must rebuild around Harden and redirect their star to have any shot at being a true contender in upcoming years. D'Antoni was dragged down by dysfunction at his last two head-coaching jobs and has never been known for full-court discipline. He's the man that can turn 41-41 into better than what McHale did?

It's impossible to say in May what the D'Antoni Rockets will look like next April. General manager Daryl Morey has more work to do than anyone in the franchise and he's pleasantly shocked us all before.

But remember this as you try to accept D'Antoni as the new guy: The Rockets will tell you that they intentionally took their sweet, deliberate time making a decision that will affect them for years. But you're smarter than that. You know there's a reason 29 other NBA teams had coaches Thursday morning and no one else wanted the man the Rockets decided to hand shoot-first Harden off to.

Mike (D)'Antoni, meet James Har(d)en. Have fun

Houston media never slams anybody like they did today...

RsxPiimp
05-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Les wants an uptempo offense to copy Golden State. He never wanted to rebuild either. I dont know his thinking but i do know he wanted a big name coach. Smh. He always wants a big name, no matter if its a player or a coach.

Sorry to hear that bro lmao

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear that bro lmao

Ehh it's nothing new. Houston sports are an eternal joke. One thing can make it worse though, is if Dwight opts in :lol

RsxPiimp
05-26-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm trying to find a positive spin on this one, obviously h-town hasn't even started fiddling with their roster but I suppose if they can get the right pieces and Harden goes back to MVP form (likely under D'Antoni's perimeter oriented style), Houston will be a solid 4-5 seed in the West with a potential to upset any of the Top 4 teams.

Capt Bringdown
05-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Wow, must suck to be a Rocket fan. What a brutally incompetent move.

RsxPiimp
05-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Ehh it's nothing new. Houston sports are an eternal joke. One thing can make it worse though, is if Dwight opts in :lol

man, that would be an all time low for him tbh, lol...this is pretty much a big "FU, and yeah, we left the door open for you" to Dwight.

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 06:40 PM
I'm trying to find a positive spin on this one, obviously h-town hasn't even started fiddling with their roster but I suppose if they can get the right pieces and Harden goes back to MVP form (likely under D'Antoni's perimeter oriented style), Houston will be a solid 4-5 seed in the West with a potential to upset any of the Top 4 teams.

Finding a way to get Ryan Anderson should be priority number 1 as far as player personnel.

Ghazi
05-26-2016, 06:42 PM
They'll be better than they were this year, IMO... 45-50 win range

baseline bum
05-26-2016, 06:43 PM
How do they think they're going to be Golden State without Curry? :lol

I mean look at Golden State right now with an 80% Curry.

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 06:48 PM
How do they think they're going to be Golden State without Curry? :lol

I mean look at Golden State right now with an 80% Curry.

IDK, but that is Leslie, not wanting to rebuild.

Molotov
05-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Rocketfan:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2u7q0ef.gif

djohn2oo8
05-26-2016, 07:22 PM
The Rockets plan to build a veteran staff around D'Antoni, which likely will include Memphis Grizzlies (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mem/)defensive coordinator Jeff Bzdelik and Washington Wizards (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/was/) assistant Roy Rogers, league sources said. Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/) assistant Rex Kalamian, whom Harden is fond of from his Oklahoma City days, is another possible assistant, sources said.

Spurs9
05-26-2016, 08:02 PM

I guess they knew Dwight was gone when they hired him, no way Dwight would p,ay under him again.

dbreiden83080
05-26-2016, 08:09 PM
A move that makes no sense whatsoever.

A man that has shown he can't take elite talent to the next level.
A man that has lost his locker room in every job, and the players just wanted him gone.
No D in D'Antoni WTF are they thinking?

All I can say is he must interview like a motherfucker..

dbreiden83080
05-26-2016, 08:11 PM
4 years WOW

He is one of the best at getting teams to pay him so he can sit home..

dbreiden83080
05-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Oh yeah and this is sure improve on Harden's stellar defense.. :lol:lol

whitemamba
05-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Damn Houston fucked up.. James Chucken is going to shoot more than ever.

Robz4000
05-26-2016, 08:35 PM
:lmao I saw it coming but god damn Houston

ambchang
05-26-2016, 08:41 PM
I know people don't like three first names here but you can't over look his impact in the league. He made passing cool again and really provided a lot of European coaching influence. Pop most definitely copied from him.

Sure his defense sucked and his offense is way too PG dependent and it's all pick and roll and kick, but he still makes the top half of nba coaches.

The fit with rockets though is PG to run the system, maybe harden could be that role but he is too selfish for that. The defence will be worse than last year, which is already pretty bad. Dwight can't get in that system at all unless it's a harden Dwight pick and roll every time down the court. The rockets also don't seem to have enough shooters to run that system.

Overall, I think dantoni is a decent coach but a horrible fit.

~O~
05-26-2016, 09:11 PM
There on their way to the Lakers path.

namlook
05-26-2016, 09:13 PM
This won't end well. :lol

Caltex2
05-26-2016, 10:32 PM

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15751327/houston-rockets-finalizing-deal-mike-dantoni

LOL indeed.

:depressed

Seriously, there wasn't some hot, up and coming assistant or some college hot shot that was available? I'm mildly surprised Kelvin Sampson didn't get the gig.

DMC
05-26-2016, 10:39 PM
They'll be fine if they allow Mike to run the show unlike he could in either NY or LA.

Obstructed_View
05-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Time to finally trade Tony Parker for the black Kevin Love, tbh.

Caltex2
05-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Wow, must suck to be a Rocket fan. What a brutally incompetent move.

You can say that again. Oh well, at least we're not the Bucks, Wizards, Kings or the Raptors...oh wait, aren't they a couple games from the NBA Finals with a roster full of former Rockets? :bang

Ball Buster
05-27-2016, 01:33 AM
D'Antoni isn't a bad coach. I don't like the pairing with this roster. It'll be a frustrating team to watch for Rocket fans. They'll score in bunches and be a better team than last year. But players will be benched and alienated along the way. Houston doesn't have the roster to be real threat with a D'antoni system. Perhaps this move is designed to allow them to shed themselves of Dwight Howards contract and find a more small ball oriented center

Gummi Clutch
05-27-2016, 01:34 AM
:lol fucking rockets worst front office in the league.

Caltex2
05-27-2016, 02:42 AM
Worst front office in the league? Nah but they are starting to make blunder after blunder and I don't trust in Morey nearly as much as I used to.

AlexJones
05-27-2016, 02:53 AM
Time to bet the Rockets win total over for 2016-17

Thread
05-27-2016, 08:46 AM
This won't end well. :lol

Bend over. I'll show you something that fuckin' won't end well.

JamStone
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
I like the hire if a few things go along with it.

1. They find a way to get rid of Harden.
2. They aggressively pursue a PG who fits his style. I honestly don't know who it would be, but one at least competent enough to run his system.
3. He plays Motiejunas big minutes.

I think fans, especially on these boards, think it's a win it all or it's failure type of approach for every team. That's not the case with Houston. I don't think this hire should be viewed as to whether it will help them win a championship or not. Or even get them to a legitimate contender level. To me, it's a hire to get away from the stagnant crap the pair of Howard and Harden developed into. To me, it's a cultural and systematic change to get away from pure one-on-one iso Harden ball. That's why I think it's imperative to move him. If they trade Harden and pretty much start all over, at least things will be interesting. And if they get some nice young pieces that fit, they could even be entertaining, even if they suck. If I were a Houston fan, I'd be so over Harden and Howard.

Trade Harden and I do like the hire.

Arcadian
05-27-2016, 09:33 AM
7 seconds or less offense with Beverley as the orchestrator :lol

Chris
05-27-2016, 04:33 PM

I think this is a given. D'Antoni loves bigs who can shoot from the perimeter, but on the other hand I'm not sure Montie can keep up with D'Antoni's fastbreak style. Harden is actually perfect for his system, because he can bring the ball up the court and just chuck away at will. I'm interested to see who they bring in to compliment his system.

StrengthAndHonor
05-27-2016, 04:39 PM
7 seconds or less offense with Beverley as the orchestrator :lol
He's not coming back to Houston. Expect an overhaul of that roster...

Killakobe81
05-27-2016, 05:03 PM

2. They aggressively pursue a PG who fits his style. I honestly don't know who it would be, but one at least competent enough to run his system.

I think fans, especially on these boards, think it's a win it all or it's failure type of approach for every team. That's not the case with Houston. I don't think this hire should be viewed as to whether it will help them win a championship or not. Or even get them to a legitimate contender level. To me, it's a hire to get away from the stagnant crap the pair of Howard and Harden developed into. To me, it's a cultural and systematic change to get away from pure one-on-one iso Harden ball. That's why I think it's imperative to move him. If they trade Harden and pretty much start all over, at least things will be interesting. And if they get some nice young pieces that fit, they could even be entertaining, even if they suck. If I were a Houston fan, I'd be so over Harden and Howard.

Jam I think they should be careful of getting rid of Harden.
Right now, I agree poor fit. But I think they should least talk to Harden (before trading him) and seeing if he is willing to buy in to what Mike D is selling.
If he buys in maybe he could be iso Joe Johnson on Steroids the way JJ was when he was with the SSOL Suns ...
IF he balks at playing alongside a PG and giving up the heavy iso dribbles then I would agree dish him even if it's for 75 cents on the dollar.
But you shouldnt give away talent liek that wothout even trying ...

My fear if they do trade Harden Lakers would offer some of your pieces to get a "star" and then Luke would probably be pissed.

Indazone
05-27-2016, 06:24 PM
http://www.sportsrageous.com/nba/jeremy-lin-mike-dantoni-reunion-with-houston-rockets-now-in-play/23999/

Jeremy Lin, Mike D’Antoni reunion with Houston Rockets now in play
LOL Rocketsfans heads explode.

Thread
05-27-2016, 10:17 PM
They're roundly panning the move here in Phoenix. Just sour grapes though.

Obstructed_View
05-28-2016, 02:27 AM
2. They aggressively pursue a PG who fits his style.

https://cbshot937.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/tony-parker.jpg?w=1500

djohn2oo8
05-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Right now, I agree poor fit. But I think they should least talk to Harden (before trading him) and seeing if he is willing to buy in to what Mike D is selling.
If he buys in maybe he could be iso Joe Johnson on Steroids the way JJ was when he was with the SSOL Suns ...
IF he balks at playing alongside a PG and giving up the heavy iso dribbles then I would agree dish him even if it's for 75 cents on the dollar.

My fear if they do trade Harden Lakers would offer some of your pieces to get a "star" and then Luke would probably be pissed.
Actually, D'antoni + Harden would be a nice fit offensively because it doesn't put the entire scoring load on him. He does the ISOS so much because he feels no one else can get their own EXCEPT Beasley. No one knew their role last year. Add to that Dwight pouting the whole year. Removing him is a big obstacle removed. But, D'antoni needs his players. Ryan Anderson, Horford, and Deng would be a nice coup.

da_suns_fan
05-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Obviously D'Antoni has his flaws but the reaction is ridiculous.

Who should the Rockets have hired? Who wouldnt get said reaction?

K...
05-28-2016, 12:28 PM
this may be a chicken and egg problem, but one thing to concsider, is that Mike has had talent, but awful FO.

Sarver, A nearly dead Jimm Buss, Dolan.

These guys were cheap, incompetent, incompetent.

Decent talent but these various teams haven't exactly overachieved without D-antoni. Certainly, without Nash, Mike isn't anything special, but compared to the other trash they interviewed I am fine with it. Van Gundy is a whole other issue, If they wanted him to coach it would have happened. They talked, it didn't happened so case closed.

It'll be interesting to see, I've long thought that when pop retired, D'Antonio was the best option to lead a team with Chucker Tony as its best player. But after another year of Iso KAwhi and Iso LMA i see spur fans getting jealous just a bit.

djohn2oo8
06-01-2016, 06:08 PM
LMAO Morey's face

http://i.imgur.com/1c5Y7gd.png

djohn2oo8
06-01-2016, 06:15 PM

Indazone
06-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Now all we need is our own version of the "Splash" brothers. Watch Morey go back out and bring back Troy Daniels whom he should never have traded away in the first place. D'Antoni will also turn Beverly into a no defense three point shooting fool. lol

Caltex2
06-01-2016, 06:37 PM
LMAO Morey's face

http://i.imgur.com/1c5Y7gd.png

He looks like McKayla Maroney.

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/50256389ecad047d37000004-900-675/mckayla-maroney-pissed.jpg

I don't think he's impressed either.

djohn2oo8
06-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Now all we need is our own version of the "Splash" brothers. Watch Morey go back out and bring back Troy Daniels whom he should never have traded away in the first place. D'Antoni will also turn Beverly into a no defense three point shooting fool. lol

They need shooters everywhere. Not just two or 3.

djohn2oo8
06-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Bzdelik: We have competitive guys who want to win, if you look at the last 10 NBA championship teams, nine of them have finished both in the top 10 in offense and defense, so they know unless they’re really not walking the talk; you've got to be committed on both ends. When players are really comfortable offensively and feel really good, that feeds into their defensive energy in a positive way. When they’re sideways offensively they can be sideways defensively, very easily. Unfortunately it shouldn’t be that way, but it is that way.

What’s your main philosophy on defense?

Bzdelik: All five guys have to be committed. It takes all five guys to get a stop. The goal is to have teams take tough, contested twos outside the paint and inside the arc. In order to do that, you have to have great defensive transition because we can’t be one-way runners. Take away easy baskets so they can’t get a coast-to-coast layup; they can’t get a layup off one pass or two passes. They got to have more than two passes and get that ball swung from one side to the other side and players clearly have to know the scheme and be held accountable, as we are held accountable by all of you.

James Harden took a lot of heat from the media for his defensive play. Is he a better defender than what we think?

Bzdelik: He can defend, as all of them can when they want to, and that goes back to everybody needs to be committed and there needs to be a trust. You can be selfish on defense like you can be selfish on offense by not being where you’re supposed to be to help your teammate or communicate.

The Gemini Method
06-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Definitely an interesting hire. Why go for a new, young innovative coach like Brad Stevens when you can hire re-tread after re-tread. There are some decent Rocket fans on this board. They don't deserve this. Hopefully I'm wrong. I, too, had hope once when he was pringling the L.A. sidelines...that faded quicker than lust after a one-night-stand.

Harry Callahan
06-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Leslie looks like he had a stroke.

Why does the fat slob GM in Houston get his fourth or fifth opportunity to rebuild the Rockets? The guy is a failure.

djohn2oo8
06-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Leslie looks like he had a stroke.

Why does the fat slob GM in Houston get his fourth or fifth opportunity to rebuild the Rockets? The guy is a failure.

to be fair, Alexander does not want to tank.

Caltex2
06-02-2016, 04:20 AM
Definitely an interesting hire. Why go for a new, young innovative coach like Brad Stevens when you can hire re-tread after re-tread. There are some decent Rocket fans on this board. They don't deserve this. Hopefully I'm wrong. I, too, had hope once when he was pringling the L.A. sidelines...that faded quicker than lust after a one-night-stand.

I'd honestly be more excited for some up and coming no namer than Pringles, who couldn't win without Nash and Stoudemire.

Indazone
06-02-2016, 12:55 PM
D'Antoni Interview from 2015 after the Warriors Championship run

SI.com: So would you say, everyone considers it “Morey-ball” where the Rockets (http://www.si.com/nba/team/houston-rockets) are really only interested in layups, threes and free throws, that theory actually originated within your Seven Seconds Or Less offense?
D'Antoni: I don’t know. I think they did a lot of analytics and they just saw what is good mathematically and they were able to put a team together that that was their strengths and they went with it and they’re being even more bold about it than I ever was [Laughs]. They’re really going after it. So, we’ll see. Again, when you have a lot of teams doing it, you’re going to have one of those teams win it. I thought when we started we were really the only team playing that way, and when we didn’t win a championship—which it’s hard to win a championship—people said, well, the system doesn’t work. And that wasn’t the case, it was just that we had some injuries or we had that and we just weren’t quite good enough. Golden State has proven you can play that way and play the way Houston plays and win. I think it validates a lot of it.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/02/mike-dantoni-stephen-curry-steve-nash-warriors-steve-kerr-alvin-gentry

ambchang
06-02-2016, 01:03 PM
D'Antoni Interview from 2015 after the Warriors Championship run

SI.com: So would you say, everyone considers it “Morey-ball” where the Rockets (http://www.si.com/nba/team/houston-rockets) are really only interested in layups, threes and free throws, that theory actually originated within your Seven Seconds Or Less offense?
D'Antoni: I don’t know. I think they did a lot of analytics and they just saw what is good mathematically and they were able to put a team together that that was their strengths and they went with it and they’re being even more bold about it than I ever was [Laughs]. They’re really going after it. So, we’ll see. Again, when you have a lot of teams doing it, you’re going to have one of those teams win it. I thought when we started we were really the only team playing that way, and when we didn’t win a championship—which it’s hard to win a championship—people said, well, the system doesn’t work. And that wasn’t the case, it was just that we had some injuries or we had that and we just weren’t quite good enough. Golden State has proven you can play that way and play the way Houston plays and win. I think it validates a lot of it.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/02/mike-dantoni-stephen-curry-steve-nash-warriors-steve-kerr-alvin-gentry

I disagree that GSW plays that way. The Rockets way really wasn't about 3s/layups/FTs, it's about having one dominant player drive and kick, which is similar to Nash and the Suns. The Warriors have more passers on the offense, and any one player can actually make that pass that leads to a score. The movement of the Warriors are much better, and the closer analogy were the 13/14 Spurs, but the 13/14 Spurs didn't have offensive players that were as good as GSW.

Sure SSOL had an influence on the 13/14 Spurs with less emphasis on iso-ball and more on passing, but SSOL was still having one ball dominant player and a bunch of recipients. 13/14 Spurs moved that decision make out to more players, and GSW made it even more so.

We are not even going to talk about defense, because I am sure D'antoni isn't interested in it.

01-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Great hire
I called it. Me.

lefty
01-10-2017, 11:22 PM
I called it. Me.

:worthy:

StrengthAndHonor
01-11-2017, 12:26 AM
I'm trying to find a positive spin on this one, obviously h-town hasn't even started fiddling with their roster but I suppose if they can get the right pieces and Harden goes back to MVP form (likely under D'Antoni's perimeter oriented style), Houston will be a solid 4-5 seed in the West with a potential to upset any of the Top 4 teams.Good call too^

da_suns_fan
01-11-2017, 12:35 AM
Obviously D'Antoni has his flaws but the reaction is ridiculous.

Who should the Rockets have hired? Who wouldnt get said reaction?

Just another solid take by myself.

da_suns_fan
01-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Good call too^

And yours was your usual level of shittiness. :lol

Mike D'Anotni has taken Chris Pauls place in your eifell tower, yes?

Harden on one end. D'Antoni on the other:

http://media11.break.com/dnet/media/180/820/2820180/aw-that-s-sweet-these-friends-appreciate-the-eiffel-tower1_560x315.jpg

DPG21920
01-11-2017, 12:47 AM

Yikes.

DPG21920
01-11-2017, 12:48 AM

Right on here.

StrengthAndHonor
01-11-2017, 01:18 AM
And yours was your usual level of shittiness. :lol

Mike D'Anotni has taken Chris Pauls place in your eifell tower, yes?

Harden on one end. D'Antoni on the other:

http://media11.break.com/dnet/media/180/820/2820180/aw-that-s-sweet-these-friends-appreciate-the-eiffel-tower1_560x315.jpg

Dude, I'm not CN.

Chris
01-11-2017, 02:04 AM
I know people don't like three first names here but you can't over look his impact in the league. He made passing cool again and really provided a lot of European coaching influence. Pop most definitely copied from him.

Sure his defense sucked and his offense is way too PG dependent and it's all pick and roll and kick, but he still makes the top half of nba coaches.

The fit with rockets though is PG to run the system, maybe harden could be that role but he is too selfish for that. The defence will be worse than last year, which is already pretty bad. Dwight can't get in that system at all unless it's a harden Dwight pick and roll every time down the court. The rockets also don't seem to have enough shooters to run that system.

Overall, I think dantoni is a decent coach but a horrible fit.

Amb called it

Caltex2
01-11-2017, 02:25 AM
I could not have predicted this would work out so well. I thought getting tot 50 wins would be a good year and while they may not get there, it looks like they may 60 halfway through the season.

benefactor
01-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Jammy with the rare bads tbh

StrengthAndHonor
01-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Amb called it
Can you read?

ambchang
01-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Amb called it

Nah, I thought D'antoni would be a horrible fit (mostly due to Dwight and Harden's selfishness), but I was off on Harden unwilling to share (felt he could be, but was unwilling), wrong on defense (they stayed pretty much stagnant), and off on the Rockets not having the shooters (they didn't have Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon when D'antoni signed, but even with them, I wouldn't expect that type of production from the two of them).

lefty
01-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Dude, I'm not CN.

Chris
01-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Can you read?

What are you disputing? He was the only one to mention the possibility of Harden running the point which ended up being a genius move by Dantoni. Yes he put qualifiers on it but no one was in that stratosphere.

Chris
01-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Nah, I thought D'antoni would be a horrible fit (mostly due to Dwight and Harden's selfishness), but I was off on Harden unwilling to share (felt he could be, but was unwilling), wrong on defense (they stayed pretty much stagnant), and off on the Rockets not having the shooters (they didn't have Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon when D'antoni signed, but even with them, I wouldn't expect that type of production from the two of them).

Most of us thought Mike D would fail terribly give yourself some credit

RsxPiimp
01-11-2017, 04:19 PM
come on, it's d'antoni tbh. he made kendall marshall really good:lol the only surprise is how well the rockets are playing defensively.

ambchang
01-11-2017, 04:37 PM
come on, it's d'antoni tbh. he made kendall marshall really good:lol the only surprise is how well the rockets are playing defensively.

Yeah, D'antoni turns chicken shit into chicken salad every where he went, except with the Lakers. I mean, he turned every single back court player he had into something much better than they really are, again, except with the Lakers.

Chris
01-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Yeah, D'antoni turns chicken shit into chicken salad every where he went, except with the Lakers. I mean, he turned every single back court player he had into something much better than they really are, again, except with the Lakers.

The Kobe Effect

01-11-2017, 05:31 PM
The Kobe Effect

JamStone
03-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Damn, superbads on my part.

I would have never imagined Harden having this type of season as a pseudo point guard on offense. Big ups to him and D'Antoni making it somehow work up to this point.