PDA

View Full Version : Who are the FAs that you want the Spurs to go after?

Biggems
05-30-2016, 07:03 PM
I know many want Durant.....but let's assume he is off the table. So who do you want to go after?

I would be for making a run at a few big men.....Pau Gasol, Hassan Whiteside, Ian Mahinmi and Yoakim Noah (if he shows to be over his recent injuries)

As far as wing players go......I roll the dice on Matt Barnes (his toughness would be a huge asset) and/or Jamal Crawford

RD2191
05-30-2016, 07:27 PM
No to anyone over 30. We don't need anymore old fucks.

dabom
05-30-2016, 07:29 PM

:lol

Trade Fathead. He moves like a 40 year old. :lmao

MVPCues
05-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Whiteside and Lin. Lin because if you get Whiteside (however it is done) he is about the best you can afford to try and shore up the PG position after a long term center lock down.

TheGoldStandard
05-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Whiteside is not coming to San Antonio, ideally that would be a great idea to have a young athletic center but he won't want to come to boring San Antonio.

KDKSpurs24
05-30-2016, 07:52 PM
:toast

Spurs9
05-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Whiteside and Lin. Lin because if you get Whiteside (however it is done) he is about the best you can afford to try and shore up the PG position after a long term center lock down.

Ill take Lin, it would probably be too expensive though.

Kikoluna
05-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Conley, noah, Whiteside, Durant

MVPCues
05-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Whiteside is not coming to San Antonio, ideally that would be a great idea to have a young athletic center but he won't want to come to boring San Antonio.

From what I have read about Whiteside, I think you are right.

MaNu4Tres
05-30-2016, 08:35 PM
There's not 1 realistic option I'd want the Spurs to pay 15-20 mil this off-season. Maybe only Conley if he checks out medically and if SA can shed TP off the books.

Kikoluna
05-30-2016, 09:24 PM

tholdren
05-30-2016, 09:42 PM
durant is a piece of dog shit

Uriel
05-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Kevin Durant.

cjw
05-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Durant wasn't the problem. 27 on 19 shots and just two turnovers. Westbrook had 19 on 21 shots and 3 TOs. Problem was really Adams and Kanter being taken out of game by pace (forced to go small) and inability of Roberson to hit even the iron let alone the net.

gambit1990
05-30-2016, 11:10 PM
earlier this year i proposed trading parker & green for dragic, whiteside, mcroberts and everyone hated the idea :lol especially Chinook and cjw :lmao

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256827

DeRozan m8
05-30-2016, 11:25 PM

YUCK.

You have a gross opinion.

I also judge anyone who rates Whiteside....he is garbage and a real f*ckhead too.

JR3
05-30-2016, 11:51 PM
I don't want Durant. He plays hero ball. I actually thought Westbrook adjusted his game to make others better. Durant doesn't.

spurtech09
05-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Whiteside would be pretty cool but I have a feeling he will resign with Miami...

spurtech09
05-30-2016, 11:52 PM
I don't want Durant. He plays hero ball. I actually thought Westbrook adjusted his game to make others better. Durant doesn't.This

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2016, 12:04 AM
Sign some low key FAs this off-season and hoard capspace for 2017 when TP's contract is an expiring (and will be useful given the stupid money that will be thrown around this summer).

We're going to take a step back next year anyway, so I hope Tim and Manu come back for a final farewell tour. They may as well. And if that's the case, I still think trading for MCW and seeing what a year of development in our system can turn him into makes a lot of sense. And why not grab Miles Plumlee at the same time, in a trade for Mills and detritus.

SilverSpur
05-31-2016, 12:11 AM
Mike Conley and Al Horford. Gasol if he comes cheap.

spurtech09
05-31-2016, 12:15 AM
Mike Conley and Al Horford. Gasol if he comes cheap.Al Horford would be a good fit..

spurtech09
05-31-2016, 12:17 AM
How about Chris Paul?

Escawun3
05-31-2016, 12:21 AM
We have a better chance to land Cp3 next year than Durant in this offseason

HarlemHeat37
05-31-2016, 12:24 AM
The list of UFAs is terrible, tbh..the only realistic names that interest me: Mirza Teletovic, Ian Mahinmi, Kent Bazemore, Dewayne Dedmon and Ty Lawson..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2016, 12:55 AM
Mike Conley and Al Horford. Gasol if he comes cheap.

Yes, let's go get them all with our $45mil capspace! Huh? Oh, we don't have $45mil to spend? :rolleyes

The list of UFAs is terrible, tbh..the only realistic names that interest me: Mirza Teletovic, Ian Mahinmi, Kent Bazemore, Dewayne Dedmon and Ty Lawson..

Yup, it's ugly, and they're all going to get massively overpaid. It's probably an offseason we should avoid like the plague and prepare for 2017 instead.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2016, 01:25 AM

Ty Lawson? ...Cmon Harlem, I expect better from you.

kaji157
05-31-2016, 01:33 AM
Gasol, Noah and rondo

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 01:49 AM

:lmao

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 01:53 AM
I like Whiteside, but I fully expect him to go Bynum once he signs the contract, tbh:lol

Whiteside/LMA would be the ultimate blackhole of NBA max money frontlines.:lol

Besides, Whiteside is the ultimate "needs to get over himself" guy in the league.:lol

Joseph Kony
05-31-2016, 02:06 AM

First 3 would all be very good additions for us imo. Unfortunately as far as PG goes we're either sticking with Parker or going for Conley :vomit:

palangi
05-31-2016, 02:09 AM
Miles Plumlee and then put in an offer to Jordan Clarkson.

HarlemHeat37
05-31-2016, 02:44 AM

I don't like Lawson, but this team desperately needs a penetrator and passing PG off the bench..the only options on the UFA list are Lawson and Ish Smith(dislike his game even more)..

Let's be real, Parker isn't coming off the bench, might as well look for a backup PG..I like Langston Galloway on the RFA list as a backup, Knicks probably won't mind letting him go, since they have Jerian Grant coming up..

I would rather go after small fish on shorter deals, tbh, especially if Tim and Manu retire, since there won't be a "win ASAP" mentality IMO..I don't want to see them blow their cap on long-term deals to somebody like broken down Mike Conley..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2016, 03:38 AM

Lawson put up 16/9 on a bad Nuggets team two years ago, but has fallen off a cliff since being forced to stop drinking after the two DUIs. To save his career should he get back on the bottle but make sure to have a designated driver? Or is he simply done? He'll probably go to China and score 40 a game, become the next Starbury.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2016, 03:41 AM
I don't like Lawson, but this team desperately needs a penetrator and passing PG off the bench..the only options on the UFA list are Lawson and Ish Smith(dislike his game even more)..

Let's be real, Parker isn't coming off the bench, might as well look for a backup PG..I like Langston Galloway on the RFA list as a backup, Knicks probably won't mind letting him go, since they have Jerian Grant coming up..

I would rather go after small fish on shorter deals, tbh, especially if Tim and Manu retire, since there won't be a "win ASAP" mentality IMO..I don't want to see them blow their cap on long-term deals to somebody like broken down Mike Conley..

What do you think about my idea of trading for MCW and seeing if Chip can make him a half-decent shooter/the team culture bring out the best in him? 3.1 mil salary is a low risk, high reward option for mine.

IMO, at worst he's a younger, more out of control Sean Livingston, at best he might be what Sean could've become if injury didn't derail his career.

SD126
05-31-2016, 03:53 AM
What do you think about my idea of trading for MCW and seeing if Chip can make him a half-decent shooter/the team culture bring out the best in him? 3.1 mil salary is a low risk, high reward option for mine.

IMO, at worst he's a younger, more out of control Sean Livingston, at best he might be what Sean could've become if injury didn't derail his career.

Not a bad idea tbh.

SD126
05-31-2016, 03:56 AM
Lawson put up 16/9 on a bad Nuggets team two years ago, but has fallen off a cliff since being forced to stop drinking after the two DUIs. To save his career should he get back on the bottle but make sure to have a designated driver? Or is he simply done? He'll probably go to China and score 40 a game, become the next Starbury.

Stick a fork in Lawson. It's over for him.

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 04:02 AM

If PATFO are trying to sign a backup then that means Patty has be moved, in that case why not move Fatty for a better backup. One deal they could make is trading Diaw/Fatty to the Kings for Marco/Darren Collison: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z7k8s4e

:lolPorker/Fatty/Lawson would be the worst defensive backcourt in NBA history:lol

SD126
05-31-2016, 04:05 AM
If PATFO are trying to sign a backup then that means Patty has be moved, in that case why not move Fatty for a better backup. One deal they could make is trading Diaw/Fatty to the Kings for Marco/Darren Collison: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z7k8s4e

:lolPorker/Fatty/Lawson would be the worst defensive backcourt in NBA history:lol

Records would be set for defensive futility with that backcourt.

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 04:06 AM

MCW can't be the primary backup b/c he's Andre Roberson status off the ball thus can't play w/ postup player like Softridge/Kawhi. I wouldn't mind swapping him w/ Kyle & having him play the Roberson wing-defender role coming off the bench. He could also be the 3rd string PG or guard PGs in a cross match.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2016, 05:12 AM
Howard/Marjanovic 2016

Obstructed_View
05-31-2016, 05:16 AM
BTW, LOL at anyone wanting Mahinmi back. I'm quite sure his agent is under orders to laugh derisively and hang up the phone if the Spurs are stupid enough to call.

Down Under
05-31-2016, 05:26 AM
Definitely Gasol if we waive Diaw.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2016, 08:15 AM

There's not any quality PG's in FA (outside of Conley) that covet strong play-making skills. Jeremy Lin would be nice, but he'll likely be too expensive. Lawson/Ish Smith can create but they have to many warts which make them a net negative addition overall. They'll be better off just keeping Mills as their back up.

If SA is going to improve PG spot it will likely be through trade.

Diaw/Mills for Jeff Teague .. maybe a trade for Collison.

TheCerebral1
05-31-2016, 08:58 AM
I want nothing to do with Noah. I'd love to get Whiteside to leave Miami, but he's going to get max'd. It begins and ends with Durant for me. If we have a shot, go for it. No point in limiting the run of playoff season at 17 straight! :D

HarlemHeat37
05-31-2016, 12:06 PM

If we're discussing trade options, obviously it's a different story..I was just looking at the UFA list and potential options..

itzsoweezee
05-31-2016, 12:23 PM
I'd much rather see Clarkson on the Spurs than Teague.

Others: Noah, Lin, Durant, Whiteside.

look_at_g_shred
05-31-2016, 12:34 PM
I'd kill for Clarkson on this team tbh

Tully365
05-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Looking at the FA list, the guy that strikes me as the most underrated/under the radar is Marvin Williams... He just had arguably his best season yet in Charlotte and could back up both Kawhi & LMA, & possibly even play with both of them in small ball line ups. He can switch on defense, which is something the Spurs want, and if he could replicate his numbers from this year-- 29mpg, 11.7ppg, 6.4rpg, 40% 3ptfg%-- he'd be a valuable addition/6th man. The Spurs would need to improve their guard situation via trade and/or draft if they went in this direction, but it's not impossible.... and I could even see a situation where Kawhi plays SG on offense sometimes... I like Batum, too, especially since he could help with ballhandling... I just think he's going to get paid a lot of money, whereas Williams might be a bargain.

TheDoctor
05-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Durant
Conley
Batum
Horford

Do it RC.

"This ain't just basketball" - TheDoctor

-21-
05-31-2016, 12:54 PM
I'd kill for Clarkson on this team tbh

He seems to enjoy being in LA. Don't see him leaving even if he is from SA tbh.

jyra
05-31-2016, 12:58 PM
I wonder if Nene could be had for a one year rental. I doubt that any team trusts his health enough to give him a longer contract and bigger minutes at this point. He could be great coming off the bench doing a lot of the things Tiago did (including the injuries).

SAGirl
05-31-2016, 07:04 PM

I like Collison over Patty but Marco... :vomit:
No thanks. If the cost of Collison is taking on Marco no... is there anyone else you want to tack into that trade?

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 07:39 PM
I like Collison over Patty but Marco... :vomit:
No thanks. If the cost of Collison is taking on Marco no... is there anyone else you want to tack into that trade?

Kufos would be ideal but I'm not sure they would be willing to give him up.

SAGirl
05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Do not want Marco:
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/4/4/11362438/seth-curry-is-everything-that-we-had-hoped-marco-belinelli-would-be

The article makes the point that rookie Seth Curry was a better option at SG than Belinelli was for them this season.

Belinelli was supposed to be the guy that would come off the bench and provided a spark and offensive punch. Instead he's having perhaps the worst season of his career, shooting just 38.6% from the field and an abysmal 30.6% from three, both the lowest percentages of his career. Despite these struggles, Belinelli was given an exceptionally long leash by George Karl (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/99585/george-karl) with 24.6 minutes a game. If he hadn't gone down with a foot injury he might still be playing 20 minutes a game.
(Seth Curry) also manages to bring some defensive effort to the table, something Belinelli does not do even on his best day. Curry is one of the few Kings who manages to make the team a better offensive and defensive team when he's on the floor per basketball-reference's On-Off stats (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryse01/on-off/2016/).

This Belinelli is the one who would show up next season.

ginobilized
05-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Durant
Conley
Horford
Gasol
Teague
Batum
Bazemore

That's a preliminary list of who I'd like to see the Spurs pursue. What they end up with? Well that's another thread.

TheGoldStandard
05-31-2016, 09:03 PM
Bazemore, Batum and Gasol seem the most possible gets. Bazemore is the only I'd really want, he's young and he's athletic and he's a pretty decent defender.

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 09:22 PM
Bazemore, Batum and Gasol seem the most possible gets. Bazemore is the only I'd really want, he's young and he's athletic and he's a pretty decent defender.

-Batum is going to re-sign w/ the Hornets b/c they are going to max him out
-Bazemore isn't worth it b/c he will be getting big bucks (yep, he's going to get paid MORE than Danny) to backup Danny.
-Pau is a definite option but he won't sign unless he's GUARANTEED a STARTING spot.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2016, 10:57 PM
You guys do know that the max for guys like Conley and Horford will start at $27.6mil, yes? And that guys like Batum and Bazemore will get 15mil+? Hard for us to scrape together that kind of scratch without gutting the team.

Time for the Spurs to bring in 2-3 cheap projects (like MCW, Plumlee, etc), develop them, Simmons and Boban, and target a championship run in 2017 when Parker's contract will be expiring.

TheGoldStandard
05-31-2016, 11:29 PM
Whoever is on Pops list the exact opposite.

cutewizard
06-01-2016, 09:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREYPhruOCA

-----------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BdrbtEBPg

cutewizard
06-01-2016, 09:48 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelschottey/2016/05/31/2016-nba-mock-draft-2-0-mixing-up-the-draft-board-before-the-nba-finals/#f5f4d87523a1

TheDoctor
06-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Whoever is on Pops list the exact opposite.

:pop: - Kyle Anderson and then some Kyle Anderson.

YGWHI
06-02-2016, 06:28 PM
If they can't sign Durant, they should look for a guard who can provide offense, drive, shoot, also, play some defense, and for a rebounding big man.

Conley, ]Teague, Bazemore, Lin for the PG/SG spot and Horford/Gasol/Noah for the PF/C, even when they aren't young and athletic, would be an upgrade over Boris-DWest.

06-02-2016, 06:51 PM
Everyone is going to get paid this off season. All the good FA's are restricted and when was the last time the Spurs got a restricted FA? I can't even think of a recent one.

Have to buy low with some young players and hope the Spurs can develop one into starter material. Say no to tempting over 30 year old pieces. Maybe yes to Gasol but no one else. Leonard is still young so there's no reason to go into a desperate win now mode. Spurs shouldn't get anyone 30 or older since that'll just put pressure on the Spurs to win while sacrificing the future. They can still win a lot of games with Leonard/Green/LMA/Parker and be in the hunt. LMA still has 2-3 elite years left and should age well as a jump shooting big. Rather the Spurs save for the future than load up on aging players.

If the retirement party started and the Spurs get cap space, I would be willing to pay Biyombo $15-17 million. I actually think that's a fair price for him. Tristan Thompson got $16 million under the OLD cap. A $16 million contract to Biyombo would be like a $12 million contract for last year's cap (and get even lower as the cap spikes again next year). Biyombo pretty much plays the same role as Thompson but is much lengthier, more athletic, and can block shots. He's only 23 and will fit in nicely defensively. The Spurs like to switch and Biyombo can still improve defensively since he has all the physical tools and work ethic to do so.

spurtech09
06-02-2016, 10:11 PM
If they can't sign Durant, they should look for a guard who can provide offense, drive, shoot, also, play some defense, and for a rebounding big man.

Conley, ]Teague, Bazemore, Lin for the PG/SG spot and Horford/Gasol/Noah for the PF/C, even when they aren't young and athletic, would be an upgrade over Boris-DWest.I can see spurs get Harford..

AFMadison
06-03-2016, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREYPhruOCA

-----------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BdrbtEBPg
I want Thon too, gut feeling is he will get drafted before the Spurs have a chance

TheGreatYacht
06-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Gasol > 16' Timmy
Bazemore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 16' Turnobili

Sign them and book your trip to Cancun for the rest of the summer, RC

TheGreatYacht
06-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Can't forget about Matt Barnes. Best backup SF not named Iguodala

Spurs9
06-03-2016, 02:34 PM
Is Mozgov going to be a FA?

TheGreatYacht
06-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Is Mozgov going to be a FA?
Yes, one of the guys I listed on my dream offseason

My dream offseason:

• Trade Kyle Anderson for a 2nd rnd pick
• Sign P. Gasol, T. Mozgov, M. Barnes, and T. Robinson
• Trade Green, Diaw, and Mills for Jeff Teague
• Ginobili uses his player option
• Fill roster with 16' and past draft picks
• Bring in DJ Stephens from the D-League. 46" vertical, good defender

C: Gasol/Mozgov/Lallane
PF: Aldridge/Robinson/Bertans
SF: Leonard/Barnes/DJ Stephens
SG: 1st rnd pick/Ginobili/Simmons
PG: Teague/Parker/2nd rnd pick

Spurs9
06-03-2016, 03:08 PM

Good takes tbh

DrunkTXLabrat
06-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Miles Plumlee and then put in an offer to Jordan Clarkson.

Nailed it. Andrew Nicholson would be a good target too.

r0drig0lac
06-03-2016, 03:22 PM
anyone except undersized Horford

DrunkTXLabrat
06-03-2016, 03:24 PM
BTW, LOL at anyone wanting Mahinmi back. I'm quite sure his agent is under orders to laugh derisively and hang up the phone if the Spurs are stupid enough to call.

also nailed it

Nathan89
06-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Luol Deng is who I want to go after. I don't want another non-dribbling player in the lineup to be paired with Green and LMA.

AFMadison
06-03-2016, 03:45 PM

I think I would rather have Green, Diaw, and Mills over Teague. I think there is a way to keep Green and bring over better bench options. I also like Conley > Teague. Bring in a 3rd big PG behind Parker too.

maverick1948
06-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Evan Turner 3 yr 21 mill 3rd yr team option. Thomas Robinson 2 yr 7 mill 2yr team option. Bring Hanga over (2nd team all Spanish league SG). Have all the top draft picks come for Summer League and watch who wants to play in NBA. Cut loose the others for someone else to worry about. I believe Bertans is ready. Milutinov is still young and could gain from being a part of the D-league and the Big boys some. The others need to show what they can do and the desire to compete for the job with the Spurs.

AFMadison
06-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Assuming Duncan/Ginobili retire, it would be incredible for the Spurs to try and trade Green, Parker and a few others for that 3rd pick. Would need another teams help in the trade. Draft Hield, bring in a veteran sg (maybe Barbosa), and a big PG (MCW) behind Mills and Conley. Sign Gasol. Bring in another cheap big like Mozgov. Keep Boban/Simmons/Anderson. Need a backup SF. Would be nice to get one of the Barnes, Harrison would probably ask too much though. West will probably return with that player option.

Gasol/Mozgov/Boban
Aldridge/West/Bertans
Kawhi/H or M Barnes/Anderson
Hield/Barbosa/Simmons
Conley/Mills/MCW

T Park
06-03-2016, 07:19 PM

Batum?

AFMadison
06-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Batum?
12 million......

elemento
06-04-2016, 12:14 AM
12 million......

It's going to be way more than that tbh. Don't be surprised if it's 20m/year.

r0drig0lac
06-04-2016, 08:11 AM
12 million......

probably 90/5

cutewizard
06-04-2016, 08:39 AM
http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/pau-gasol-still-talking-about-possibly-coming-spurs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another day, another comment from Pau Gasol on possibly joining the San Antonio Spurs.

As you are well aware of by now, Bulls center Pau Gasol will be a free agent this summer and there have been thoughts he could join the Spurs. It started with his brother, Marc Gasol, suggesting to his big brother to join San Antonio (http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/marc-gasol-says-his-brother-pau-gasol-should-play-for-spurs) and Pau has weighed in saying the Spurs are aninteresting choice (http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/pau-gasol-spurs-would-be-an-interesting-option) but has also said there are other interesting options as well as saying theBulls remain his top pick (http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/pau-gasol-says-bulls-are-still-his-first-choice).
Pau spoke more (http://espanol.eurosport.com/) about the Spurs and the possibility of joining the silver and black.

It's interesting. I think every player who likes this sport would be interested in going to San Antonio, a team with the second best record this season, with tradition, with knowledge. We'll see," he saidOf course, all his options are open at this point but with the shot of playing alongside LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard and Tim Duncan (if he doesn't retire), then the Spurs become one heck of an attractive spot for Pau. But if he is looking for a pay-day, I cannot see the Spurs shelling out big bucks for a player already on the downside of his career.
Anything and everything can happen in the offseason. Let's not forget, Pau spurred the Spurs before back when he was a free agent in 2014 when he signed with the Bulls when the Spurs were reportedly in the running for his services.

cutewizard
06-04-2016, 08:41 AM
https://airalamo.com/2016/06/01/coaching-team-usa-will-gregg-popovich-needs/

iManu
06-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Kirby.

iManu
06-04-2016, 08:46 AM
And Jimmer.

CGD
06-04-2016, 08:48 AM
1. Try poison pill offer for Clarkson, but failing that Eric Gordon.

2. If $$ left after #1, Mosgov but failing that Robinson. Ideally it would be awesome to get a serviceable big via trading Boris/Mill and parts (e.g., Bucks' Plumlee/MCW or Hawks' Tiago/Tavares).

3. Ink Bertans, PG Rookie (Bogdan), and other stashed folks as appropriate to fill out 11-15 on roster.

4. Accept that Parker isn't going anywhere. Hope West moves on. Convince Tim to opt out for Spurs to make their moves but come back for another year to anchor the bench unit. Accept whatever Manu wants to do, but first ask him to opt out to allow for flexibility.

cutewizard
06-04-2016, 08:49 AM
http://airalamo.com/2016/06/02/5-things-san-antonio-spurs-need-look-improve/

__________-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Things San Antonio Spurs Need To Look At To Improve
by Andre Key (http://airalamo.com/author/akey/) 1 day ago

The San Antonio Spurs had the most successful regular season record since they first moved into San Antonio in October of 1973.Winning big in the season was a tremendous accomplishment, but losing shortly afterwards in the playoffs brought many questions along with what the future of the team should look like.
Let’s take a look at 5 things the Spurs need to look at in order to build upon this successful season and possibly reach the goal of a championship next season.

Do the Spurs have another big man they can consistently count on?
MORE FROM EDITORIALS

6/3 - Adam Silver Is Wrong About Ending Hack-A-Shaq Rule (http://airalamo.com/2016/06/03/adam-silver-is-wrong-about-ending-hack-a-shaq-rule/)
6/3 - Robinson’s Words Echo Critiques From Former NBA Players (http://airalamo.com/2016/06/03/robinsons-words-echo-critiques-from-former-nba-players/)
6/2 - Who Should Spurs Fans Root For In The NBA Finals? (http://airalamo.com/2016/06/02/who-should-spurs-fans-root-for-in-the-nba-finals/)
6/2 - Should The Spurs Target Joakim Noah In Free Agency? (http://airalamo.com/2016/06/02/should-the-spurs-target-joakim-noah-in-free-agency/)
6/2 - San Antonio Spurs Draft Prospect: Zhou Qi (http://airalamo.com/2016/06/02/san-antonio-spurs-draft-prospect-zhou-qi/)

All Star forward LaMarcus Aldridge started a bit slow in the beginning of the season but picked it up and earned himself on the West All Star roster. His production rose as the season progressed, and the reserves did a great job of filling in when the starters rested.After taking down an injury depleted Memphis Grizzlies team, the Spurs blew out the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 1, but eventually losing the series. Reserve forward David West, a former all-star himself signed with San Antonio for the veterans minimum (to everyone’s surprise) for a chance to win a championship. West’s production in the postseason was a bit disappointing as he posted 5.6 points per game in 17 minutes in the conference semi-finals round, before the Spurs were eliminated in 5 games.
Some might say that you get what you pay for, but in this case, David West did not output his usual production. He has 1 more year under contract, but with a player option, and if the Spurs can bring him back again, they should because the quality of the player for that dollar amount is difficult to be had in the NBA.
Boris Diaw and Boban Marjanovich are also players that the Spurs must consider if they want to keep, because they need to become more athletic and versatile. Tim Duncan, if he decides not to retire might be better suited off the bench. He dealt with a lingering knee issue, and while he did produce for the team defensively throughout the season, his offensive production drop is enough to look at finding a new starter at center, whether the Spurs feel Marjanovich is ready for that role, or if they feel the need to look elsewhere.
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/29/files/2016/06/boban-marjanovic-nba-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets.jpg (http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/29/files/2016/06/boban-marjanovic-nba-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets.jpg)
Marjanovich played the least amount of minutes between the 3, but none of the other bigs were able to keep Steven Adams and Enes Kanter off the glass, or make them uncomfortable on defense.

Can anyone guard the best player on the other team?When you have a star player like Russell Westbrook or Kevin Durant who can catch fire, there isn’t much a defensive game plan can do to stop it, but on the nights where superstar players can be neutralized, there has to be someone who can step up to execute that task.. Kawhi Leonard was fantastic during the season, on most nights taking a load of the offense, and guarding the other teams best player. He had trouble when there was no one else on the perimeter to help him guard teams that have multiple stars on the roster.
The Spurs must have someone who can support the role Leonard plays on a consistent basis throughout the season. Danny Green has had his moments but he was generally unreliable, and struggled with his shot for most of the season. The Spurs have to look at taking to take the pressure off of Leonard on the perimeter if he is also to be a featured player on offense.
Is it time to upgrade the point guard position?Tony Parker has been fantastic as the starting point guard over the years. At this current stage of his career, after nursing a few leg injuries, and aging a bit, it’s becoming clear that Parker is not fast enough any longer to consistently keep up with the new younger generation of point guards. When Parker plays well, it’s usually a good sign for the team because it’s easier for them to get into a flow when he’s in a flow.
Now, the Spurs need youth and athleticism and the point guard is one of the most crucial positions in the league. Pop may have to consider going really hard after free agent Mike Conley to run the point, and use Parker as his backup. Their combination of shooting, driving, passing would put the Spurs in position, where their opponents can never take a night off.

Will Popovich trust his new players as much as he did the big 3?We all know that Pop has his loyalties to his players. Unfortunately for some other players, that means he will not play them, no matter what’s happening on the court. Players like Jonathan Simmons got no playing time in the playoffs, even though he fits the category of young and athletic. There is no way to tell how much help he would have been, but Popovich wasn’t willing to take the risk or take a chance on him being an option.
Manu Ginobili, if he decides not to retire may have to concede some of his minutes to a younger player. Experience is one thing, but being able to keep up with the opposing team is needful. The Spurs’ core players that have all of the knowledge and experience of how the Spurs work for the longest amount of time are also the oldest. Coach Popovich is going to have to trust his younger players with more time after teaching them what he expects from them on the court.
Will the spurs address shooting this summerOne of the weaknesses that stuck out sorely for the Spurs in the semifinals series was shooting. Danny Green struggled the entire year behind the 3-point line and in the semi-finals averaged 9 points shooting 42% from the field averaging 31 minutes. Patty Mills wasn’t able to provide his usual spark off the bench, averaging just 4 points averaging 15 minutes off the bench.
Kawhi Leonard shot less than a percentage point under 45% and 26% from 3-point range. When he has to guard the other teams best player, the Spurs need support players, especially to spread the floor on offense to help ease the load on offense. Green and Patty Mills didn’t give the Spurs the support they needed, and it helped cost the Spurs in the series.
If the Spurs expect to improve, they have a lot of work to do, and they need to address key points if they want to win. Even if they bring back Duncan and Ginobili for one last year, the dynamic of the teams roster will need to change, if the plan is to send those two out with just one more ring.

cutewizard
06-04-2016, 09:05 AM
This could be the most interesting offseason in the history of the Spurs!

noles1983
06-04-2016, 10:40 AM
i think the spurs whiff on all the main players and we get a boring ass offseason.

Cklbmk
06-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Durant or bust

TheGreatYacht
06-04-2016, 12:52 PM
This could be the most interesting offseason in the history of the Spurs!

i think the spurs whiff on all the main players and we get a boring ass offseason.
:lol

Kikoluna
06-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Kevin durant, Matt barnes