PDA

View Full Version : David West

-21-
05-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Do you guys think he'll be back? Honestly, I'd rather not after his very disappointing postseason but he gave up all that money for a chance to ring and the team didn't even make it out of the 2nd round. I fear Pop & RC might bring him back just to repay him the money he gave up to come here. Or is it the other way around? Maybe he feels like he failed to help the team and just leaves?

TheGreatYacht
05-31-2016, 12:54 PM
He was better than Diaw the whole year, tbh.. If you have to part ways with Boris, he wouldn't be that bad of an option.

He should've been a back up 4 and playing next to Boban. Not a 5.

:lol Pop

TheDoctor
05-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Do you guys think he'll be back?

How could we know?

-21-
05-31-2016, 01:00 PM
How could we know?

I'm not asking if you know. I'm asking if you think he'll return. What are your thoughts, predictions... Come on Doc. :rolleyes

MultiTroll
05-31-2016, 01:00 PM
He was better than Diaw the whole year, tbh.. If you have to part ways with Boris, he wouldn't be that bad of an option.

He should've been a back up 4 and playing next to Boban. Not a 5.

:lol Pop
We're up 2-1 in the West Conf series to boot.
Blaming West. :rolleyes

If anything CIA Dipstick just made it much harder for vets who wanted to consider the Spurs.

Kawhitstorm
05-31-2016, 01:03 PM
Do you guys think he'll be back? Honestly, I'd rather not after his very disappointing postseason but he gave up all that money for a chance to ring and the team didn't even make it out of the 2nd round. I fear Pop & RC might bring him back just to repay him the money he gave up to come here. Or is it the other way around? Maybe he feels like he failed to help the team and just leaves?

He would be an upgrade over Ginger Head as the 5th big.:wakeup

Captivus
05-31-2016, 01:04 PM
How could we know?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dO8gupVU1f8/VP84dDK1BuI/AAAAAAAAAlA/w82LdiZBy64/s1600/giphy%2B(1).gif

poeticism707
05-31-2016, 01:15 PM
He better not be...

Putrid man defense, even worse team d,

none of which is worth his occasional 7 points or so...

-21-
05-31-2016, 01:27 PM
We're up 2-1 in the West Conf series to boot.
Blaming West. :rolleyes

If anything CIA Dipstick just made it much harder for vets who wanted to consider the Spurs.

To be clear, I'm not solely blaming West for losing vs OKC. He got abused by Kanter/Adams/Ibaka but most of our players were sucked as well, the refs were shit, and then there's Pop screwing up to top it all off. I'm just saying maybe he feels like he failed to help the team (after being a pretty hyped up acquisition) and is fine with losing the money knowing he was a part of why the team lost.

manu2timdynasty
05-31-2016, 01:34 PM
West is a locker room guy, an enforcer the Spurs have sorely lacked. He sacrificed because he believed in the franchise. Yes I want him back.

lilbthebasedgod
05-31-2016, 01:37 PM
West was way better than Diaw.

SAGirl
05-31-2016, 01:40 PM
He has a player option. It's up to him. He may decline it bc he wants more $. In that case, I'd let him go bc I would prefer to see Boban as the bench C and he needs to get paid as well, so between the two, I am paying Boban.

I think him picking up the option will have to do with role. If he's going to be the 5th big he wouldn't pick it up. He's going to want guaranteed minutes. I suppose if the Spurs deal Diaw he could agree to come back for the minimum (his player option) and be the bench PF and thus the 4th big, then fine.

I would bring Cady too and teach him to box out though.

-21-
05-31-2016, 01:53 PM
He has a player option. It's up to him. He may decline it bc he wants more $. In that case, I'd let him go bc I would prefer to see Boban as the bench C and he needs to get paid as well, so between the two, I am paying Boban.

I think him picking up the option will have to do with role. If he's going to be the 5th big he wouldn't pick it up. He's going to want guaranteed minutes. I suppose if the Spurs deal Diaw he could agree to come back for the minimum (his player option) and be the bench PF and thus the 4th big, then fine.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I don't think there's any chance he picks up his PO though, which is why I made this thread. I only saw him taking the PO if we won the championship.

TDomination
05-31-2016, 01:58 PM
It wasn't so much West as it was the times Pop would use him. He pretty much set him up for failure.

I mean Cmon, frontline of West and Boris. Not gonna cut it. West and LMA would've been smarter, while putting Timmy and Boris together.

The biggest problem is that our only other big that we used off the bench besides Boris was Boban but Pop didn't feel comfortable playing him and if he's not gonna play him, then don't keep him.

Also, didn't West have or used to have a sweet 18 footer. I feel like it wasn't utilized very much. Much like we used to do with Timmy from a top of the key.

If he wanted to stay, i wouldn't mind keeping him as long as Pop didn't go all crazy with his lineups. But if Pop stays stubborn and would still use West and Boris together then forget it, i'd rather Pop not even have that option.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-31-2016, 02:01 PM
West is a locker room guy, an enforcer the Spurs have sorely lacked. He sacrificed because he believed in the franchise. Yes I want him back.

Dre_7
05-31-2016, 02:15 PM

:tu

Ditto

05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
He'll be another year older, pass. Mans brings nothing to the table.

palangi
05-31-2016, 02:40 PM

I hope that West retires or looks elsewhere. Cady coming in would be much better for us. He is bigger and longer than West. I think Cady has a similar game to LMA (that does not mean he is as good). But hey both are jump shooters with size and length. They have the ability to get after it defensively and rebound. But LMA would be a good player for Cady to learn under.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-31-2016, 02:43 PM
Couldn't box out that bum kanter. Pass

tholdren
05-31-2016, 02:52 PM
you sir, are an imbecile

spurs1990
05-31-2016, 03:01 PM
He gave up like 10 million to play for San Antonio this past year.

I'll put it this way, if the Spurs kick him to the curb despite the above fact, then they better be willing to make the same call for our point guard.

tholdren
05-31-2016, 03:02 PM

I'll put it this way, if the Spurs kick him to the curb despite the above fact, then they better be willing to make the same call for our point guard.
Kevin Martin gave up money too. I wish he and West the best of luck elsewhere.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2016, 03:23 PM
For the vet minimum he's not bad to have on the roster. Depends on who the Spurs get in the offseason.

GSH
05-31-2016, 03:43 PM
For the vet minimum he's not bad to have on the roster. Depends on who the Spurs get in the offseason.

At the vet min, of course the Spurs want him back. Especially if he's playing the 4, where he belongs. If they're going to let him opt out, and then give him a bigger contract to re-pay him for comin here? Not so much. Especially if they have ANY plans for him to be forced back into playing the C.

Loaded question that only Spurs' FO can answer, because nobody else has any idea what they are thinking.

TD 21
05-31-2016, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he retires. Either way, I never thought he'd be around for more than a year. While always a fit culturally, he was never really an on court fit and that's not going to change.

I said it awhile back and I'll say it again: Power forwards in his mold are becoming extinct. Reliable 15-18 feet range and post defense have been replaced by reliable three-point range and pick-and-roll defense (switching, hard hedging, etc.). He obviously doesn't have the game of a center either, so he's a player who really fills no particular role.

TheGoldStandard
05-31-2016, 05:10 PM
As a 4th or 5th reserve roster spot why not. It's relatively cheap and he can play in garbage time for 8 - 10 minutes a game. If they plan to really push his minutes as if he's a first or second option off the bench then absolutely not.. Spurs need to get young and play young guys.

dabom
05-31-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm tired of all this guilt roster spot. Cut his ass. Same reason POOP PLAYED MARTIN in an elimination game. Pop needs to stop being a little butch.

SpursFan86
05-31-2016, 06:06 PM
He was really solid all season long...just unfortunately shat the bed in the playoffs when it mattered most, although to be fair, OKC is probably the worst possible matchup for him (also, damn near the entire team shat the bed against OKC).

If he's willing to come back for the minimum again, I would be perfectly fine with bringing him back.

tholdren
05-31-2016, 06:52 PM
He was really solid all season long...just unfortunately shat the bed in the playoffs when it mattered most, although to be fair, OKC is probably the worst possible matchup for him (also, damn near the entire team shat the bed against OKC).

If he's willing to come back for the minimum again, I would be perfectly fine with bringing him back.
Isn't that what he does "historically"?

bklynspursfan
05-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Hopefully he comes back 1 more year. Wanna get him the Michael Finley special... I'm sure he knew it might be a couple years with the big changes we made.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2016, 07:54 PM
How could we know?

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/43338487.jpg

Obstructed_View
05-31-2016, 07:55 PM

So he played down to his salary. Fuck him. The Spurs don't owe him any loyalty. He took less money to win a ring, then didn't play well when they needed him. Lose/lose.

spurtech09
05-31-2016, 08:13 PM
hmmm who knows....

objective
05-31-2016, 08:31 PM
His rep is kind of a fraud though, isn't it?

He's the leader and captain who quit on the pacers in camp because of the Paul George injury and drove pacer fans crazy with his lack of effort.

Real tough players play tough where it's toughest: the trenches and boxing out. He's been notorious for not boxing out his whole career. How tough was he against the OKC bigs?

If he opts in, Pop will love overplaying him for another season. Fine.

If he opts out ... that's where he can really screw the Spurs over. He's just the kind of washed up declining player to get a multi year deal from the Spurs like Finley & Oberto did. I can easily see him and his new contract keeping the Spurs from signing another player who could actually help, be that Mahinmi or Plumlee or whoever.

SAGirl
05-31-2016, 09:42 PM
His rep is kind of a fraud though, isn't it?

He's the leader and captain who quit on the pacers in camp because of the Paul George injury and drove pacer fans crazy with his lack of effort.

Real tough players play tough where it's toughest: the trenches and boxing out. He's been notorious for not boxing out his whole career. How tough was he against the OKC bigs?

If he opts in, Pop will love overplaying him for another season. Fine.

If he opts out ... that's where he can really screw the Spurs over. He's just the kind of washed up declining player to get a multi year deal from the Spurs like Finley & Oberto did. I can easily see him and his new contract keeping the Spurs from signing another player who could actually help, be that Mahinmi or Plumlee or whoever.
:shootme
Yup in another minimum deal if he opts in he's fine. He will soak up minutes for Tim if he also opts in, and will let a young big like Cady develop "and get over himself." I agree Pop will overplay him, Timmy will break down anyways bc he will be 41, and we will reach the playoffs with Cady not ready bc all his RS minutes where he could have gotten ready would have been soaked up by D'Worst, predictable scenario but it's one season, so I guess fine. If he's paid more than the minimum then no. I would rather the Spurs pick up Milutinov and Cady for what they would pay him and/or someone else.

elemento
05-31-2016, 09:45 PM
If he is back for the same price tag, I'd easily take him back.

Hoops Czar
05-31-2016, 09:47 PM
I hope he saves his pride and opts for retirement. Nobody wants to be that guy that stays too long, he ends up replacing Bonner on the bench.

Mnky
05-31-2016, 10:48 PM
To be clear, I'm not solely blaming West for losing vs OKC. He got abused by Kanter/Adams/Ibaka but most of our players were sucked as well, the refs were shit, and then there's Pop screwing up to top it all off. I'm just saying maybe he feels like he failed to help the team (after being a pretty hyped up acquisition) and is fine with losing the money knowing he was a part of why the team lost.

As much as people "lol" with kanter, there's a reason he's making so much. He vets his numbers against everybody.

The other two are centers, and would and do abuse most starting pfs.

I'd like him back as a bench guy. Hopefully he will remember to take the jumper next playoffs that he led the NBA in percentage points with, over those fade away.

sananspursfan21
06-01-2016, 11:09 AM
In the regular season he really wasn't bad. He did everything you'd expect from a guy getting paid that little. You guys that are calling for him to be cut based on the playoffs must want to cut virtually everyone else too.

SD126
06-02-2016, 03:25 AM
I hope he saves his pride and opts for retirement. Nobody wants to be that guy that stays too long, he ends up replacing Bonner on the bench.

^^^ this

Keepin' it real
06-02-2016, 09:47 AM
West would be nice to have back, if:

1. he continues to play for a bargain price.
2. the Spurs play him at PF and not at C.

Expecting him to go up against the likes of Canter and Adams is too much. Might as well have him guard Curry when the Spurs play GS. Same difference. It's a mismatch.

Play West where he belongs, and he'll be a good player to have on the roster.

Spur|n|Austin
06-02-2016, 12:44 PM
He'll be another year older, pass. Mans brings nothing to the table.

He brings veteran leadership, mentorship to young guys, and he's a good locker room presence in general. At the low cost of practically nothing in NBA standards, I say he brings enough to keep a roster spot.