PDA

View Full Version : Haralabos Voulgaris "Pop coached like Randy Whittman"

apalisoc_9
06-03-2016, 05:32 PM
:lmao

I'm glad this egotistical POS is getting called out by someone notable.

Everything he does is to try to prove he can win with shitty players...

Let this sink in...

Game 6 against okc

Spurs up 19-18...Anderson comes in for Leonard in the 3 minute mark. And the other starters after a few minutes...

Doesnt sub Leonard and others till the spurs were already getting mandhandled and down big.

T Park
06-03-2016, 07:15 PM
someone notable? a gambling person?

Yeah ok..

Vic Petro
06-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm glad this egotistical POS is getting called out by someone notable.

:rolleyes

GSH
06-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Because the other half dozen threads calling out Pop's coaching weren't enough? You had to start a new fucking thread quoting a nobody... but without an actual quote or even a link? So your whole post is YOUR shitty take on one example you didn't like?

"Lookit me!! Lookit me!!". As per usual.

YGWHI
06-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Also, Pop's resistance to go small in the whole series -until his desperation move in the 2nd half of game 6- was especially stupid considering that OKC having two big men on the court all game killed us on the boards, he should have tried to force Donovan to play small ball...

K...
06-03-2016, 11:08 PM
This was discussed two weeks ago so i'll give my thoughts again having listened to the podcast:

The randy whitman comment was "pop was dedicated to the midrange game like Randy Whitman" Not pop sucks like him or anything like that but a very specific context.

Then they talked about the questionable lineups before admitting, our team was really lacking options. Then they covered it up with "coaching is hard, we don't know, this is hindsight"

Then simmons makes the joke "my real issue is POP cost me money"

Thus, you see, the comment is just that, a comment. The truth is y'all are still trying to make hay over the fact that we lost in the second round walking out a dead duncan and impotent porker. You can't coach around TOSB.

K...
06-03-2016, 11:08 PM

Also, Pop's resistance to go small in the whole series -until his desperation move in the 2nd half of game 6- was especially stupid considering that OKC having two big men on the court all game killed us on the boards, he should have tried to force Donovan to play small ball...

you need shooters and drivers to play small. Who do you want....parker, mills, green, k, lma? Woo great......

kobyz
06-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Pop should have made trades to fix holes on the team instead of being drunk during the season...

YGWHI
06-04-2016, 12:12 AM
you need shooters and drivers to play small. Who do you want....parker, mills, green, k, lma? Woo great......
Or Parker/Manu/Green/KL/LMA...Or Mills/Manu/Green/KL/LMA...Everything would have been better than having Adams-Ibaka & Adams-Kanter on the floor all game.

Kawhi was driving in these playoffs like never before, Danny shot over .51 3P% in the series, LMA was great in the first 2 games, without one of those two OKC big men in the paint, they could have had a chance to get some easy buckets.

apalisoc_9
06-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Pop should have made trades to fix holes on the team instead of being drunk during the season...

Kobyz and I agree...must bt the end of the world.

spurs1990
06-04-2016, 01:20 AM
I like Harablos. During the clips series last year he was very complimentary towards SA in his bill Simmons podcast.

And I know I might get my Spurs fan card pulled , but I'm getting legitimately tired of Pop's "F you, I have 5 rings and I don't have to be accountable" act.

I'll just go watch the 2014 vids on YouTube now.

testies
06-04-2016, 01:45 AM
fire pop
im seriious

playbonner15
06-04-2016, 05:24 AM
my real issue is POP cost me money
Been hearing this a lot of people even a week after the Spurs got eliminated :lol Which was really frustrating coz Pop could have made the obvious adjustments of not playing west and diaw together, and could have won the series

Keepin' it real
06-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Long ass off season ...

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2016, 09:54 AM

Are you absolutely sure they didn't try? Given how much they tinkered with the roster in the last month of the regular season, I'd be stunned if they didn't at least try to make something happen.

The fact that nothing happened at the trade deadline doesn't mean that they weren't trying to make something happen; it might mean (and probably does mean) that the things that they tried to make happen were coming at a cost that they just weren't willing to pay.

Joseph Kony
06-04-2016, 11:19 AM
I'd agree about Miller if the Spurs werent getting shit on til he came in later in the game tbh

therealtruth
06-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Why do the Spurs always get the vets when they're washed up. Miller could have filled a real need a couple of years ago.

daslicer
06-04-2016, 02:22 PM
People are still bitter about the loss to the Thunder. I have blamed Pop in the past for questionable moves such as not playing Duncan in the final seconds of 6, not playing Splitter against the Grizzlies '11, and going small against the Mavs in '06. In this situation I don't blame him for this loss because the spurs just couldn't match up with the Thunder's size. Duncan deteriorated which screwed things up and forced Pop to overplay West, and Diaw who were liabilities against the Thunder. Some people scream that the Spurs should have played small but the Spurs don't have the athletes and shooters to pull it off successfully. Look at the Warriors who have the best small ball lineup in the league and they barely beat the Thunder.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-04-2016, 03:33 PM
I agree with haralabob when he said they should've attacked kanter in the pick n roll. Spurs never did it

baseline bum
06-04-2016, 05:08 PM
What's the source for this quote? I remember when he was on Simmons' podcast in the first round he was talking about how the Spurs should use Boban against Golden State and how the 2012 Spurs were one of the best teams he had ever seen.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-04-2016, 06:58 PM
What's the source for this quote? I remember when he was on Simmons' podcast in the first round he was talking about how the Spurs should use Boban against Golden State and how the 2012 Spurs were one of the best teams he had ever seen.

The thing is, they were... it was the last year of the DPG all at all star level and then you had rookie Kawhi who was already a great defender, corner 3 shooter, and finisher. Green was a deadly 3 point shooter and good young defender, Splitter was healthy and solid, and you had Bobo and Jackson off the bench along with Manu to provide energy and quality play... that team was so deep and so good.

Of course Pop screwed the pooch by not making adjustments on defense in game 4 and then unnecessarily panicking by eliminating Danny Green from the rotation in game 5 (Manu had an amazing game but him and Duncan were the only players taking shots and it wasn't 2005 and frankly that's not how we got the 20 game winning streak and the #1 seed in the West that year anyways!)

If not for that royal fuck up against the Thunder, the 2012 Spurs could have been one of those legendary 16–1 playoff teams or something like that. They were that good.

K...
06-04-2016, 08:06 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260234&p=8605512&viewfull=1#post8605512

Kawhitstorm
06-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Of course Pop screwed the pooch by not making adjustments on defense in game 4 and then unnecessarily panicking by eliminating Danny Green from the rotation in game 5 (Manu had an amazing game but him and Duncan were the only players taking shots and it wasn't 2005 and frankly that's not how we got the 20 game winning streak and the #1 seed in the West that year anyways!)

The turning point of the 2012 WCF was Scott Brooks putting Thabo on Porker after he torched WestBrick in Gm 2, which resulted in the Spurs turning the ball over 21 times in Gm 3. It eventually resulted in Danny getting benched b/c the offense stalled.

-Gm 4: ChewBaka went 11-11 & OKC was able to win despite WestBrick only scoring 7 pts.
-Gm 5: Harden makes BS shots after BS shot in the 4th quarter to hold off the Spurs.
-Gm 6: ThundeRefs

If OKC had 2012 Harden as their closer, they would have beaten the Duds.

SAGirl
06-05-2016, 12:27 AM
People are still bitter about the loss to the Thunder. I have blamed Pop in the past for questionable moves such as not playing Duncan in the final seconds of 6, not playing Splitter against the Grizzlies '11, and going small against the Mavs in '06. In this situation I don't blame him for this loss because the spurs just couldn't match up with the Thunder's size. Duncan deteriorated which screwed things up and forced Pop to overplay West, and Diaw who were liabilities against the Thunder. Some people scream that the Spurs should have played small but the Spurs don't have the athletes and shooters to pull it off successfully. Look at the Warriors who have the best small ball lineup in the league and they barely beat the Thunder.
GREAT POST.
Completely agree with this. :tu

Obstructed_View
06-05-2016, 07:40 AM
The truth is y'all are still trying to make hay over the fact that we lost in the second round walking out a dead duncan and impotent porker, ineffective and old Manu, undersized and under-performing Diaw and West.

Amended.

Kikoluna
06-05-2016, 08:42 AM
You Are Wrong My friend. A lot of this falls on pop. Even a 5th grader knew , "hey, maybe that Kyle guy shouldn't b go in AT ALL"
Also, playing boban like 3 total minutes was insane. A lot of this was on pop. And where the he'll were his assistants to tell him not to put Kyle 13 minute mile in.

daslicer
06-05-2016, 12:23 PM
You Are Wrong My friend. A lot of this falls on pop. Even a 5th grader knew , "hey, maybe that Kyle guy shouldn't b go in AT ALL"
Also, playing boban like 3 total minutes was insane. A lot of this was on pop. And where the he'll were his assistants to tell him not to put Kyle 13 minute mile in.

I like Boban but he's a good backup center at best and nothing more. Even when Pop played Boban in game 6 he wasn't a factor and the refs called a ton of fouls on him quickly. Also Adams and Kanter carved him up when he was on the floor. Boban defensively against OKC is a liability because he doesn't have the lateral mobility to switch off effectively on pick and rolls. Can't blame Pop for not playing a guy who wasn't suited to match up with OKC. I agree Kyle Anderson sucks but who else is on the roster that Pop could have played over him to backup Kawhi other than Kevin Martin. Duncan's rapid decline was also the final nail in the coffin in this series. I'm convinced if the Spurs had Duncan from earlier this season they would have won the series. Losing sucks but there is nothing Pop could have done to stop Duncan's decline, or fix the roster problem of not having a legit SG/SF backup along with not having any legit bigs outside of Aldridge.

wildbill2u
06-05-2016, 01:47 PM
WE didn't have the horses to win against OKC once their coach deduced that Duncan could hardly move and we had no one behing him that could match up against his Vanilla towers. You can bitch all you want to about why we didn't have the horses but most folks thought this year's team was as good as we ever had. The bench was scoring well and we had lots of blow out games.

Kudos to those who warned about Adams but I don't remember anyone warning about using both centers in tandem. We might have been ok with Duncan and diaw or Duncan and West, but with Duncan unable to go at anything like the beginning of the season, those guys couldn't handle the OKC lineup.

And of course it didn't help that we didn't get the outside scoring from Green and Mills that was expected.

Eventually all those little things add up to bad matchups and a loss to a good team with good coaching.

Horse
06-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Pop could've done alot better but this shit is on the zebras just like '12 so nothing else to talk about.

Kawhitstorm
06-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Kudos to those who warned about Adams but I don't remember anyone warning about using both centers in tandem.

10-30-2015: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253511&page=59&p=8607847&viewfull=1#post8607847

:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
06-06-2016, 01:34 PM
In this situation I don't blame him for this loss because the spurs just couldn't match up with the Thunder's size. Duncan deteriorated which screwed things up and forced Pop to overplay West, and Diaw who were liabilities against the Thunder.

What he should have done was start Diaw ala 2014 & have him matchup against Ibaka who just hangs around the 3 point line thus the rebounding wouldn't be such a big issue. On the other end, OKC put Adams on LMA so Ibaka wouldn't have to defend him on the post but had Diaw been in the game then he would have been able to expose his post defense. When OKC also doubled LMA, Diaw would have been to flash to the paint & finish instead of throwing up mid-range brick like D-Worst or blowing bunnies like Tim.

Tim should have been coming off the bench to matchup w/ Kanter who was feasting on D-Worst.

TheGoldStandard
06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
What he should have done was start Diaw ala 2014 & have him matchup against Ibaka who just hangs around the 3 point line thus the rebounding wouldn't be such a big issue. On the other end, OKC put Adams on LMA so Ibaka wouldn't have to defend him on the post but had Diaw been in the game then he would have been able to expose his post defense. When OKC also doubled LMA, Diaw would have been to flash to the paint & finish instead of throwing up mid-range brick like D-Worst or blowing bunnies like Tim.

Tim should have been coming off the bench to matchup w/ Kanter who was feasting on D-Worst.

It was worth a try, nothing else seemed to be working. Diaw looks absolutely done though and when he is healthy he seems disinterested.

Kawhitstorm
06-06-2016, 01:50 PM
It was worth a try, nothing else seemed to be working. Diaw looks absolutely done though and when he is healthy he seems disinterested.

Diaw busted Harrison Barnes when he was being FEATURED in the offense, otherwise he was just going through the motions. He actually played well on offense in Gm 4 but Pop had the Turd Tower lineup against Adams/Kanter to start the 4th which canceled out his production.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-06-2016, 01:59 PM
The turning point of the 2012 WCF was Scott Brooks putting Thabo on Porker after he torched WestBrick in Gm 2, which resulted in the Spurs turning the ball over 21 times in Gm 3. It eventually resulted in Danny getting benched b/c the offense stalled.

-Gm 4: ChewBaka went 11-11 & OKC was able to win despite WestBrick only scoring 7 pts.
-Gm 5: Harden makes BS shots after BS shot in the 4th quarter to hold off the Spurs.
-Gm 6: ThundeRefs

If OKC had 2012 Harden as their closer, they would have beaten the Duds.
If only we had gone through Manu in game 4.... also Duncan, Kawhi and Bonner were grossly underused. Once Perkins was in foul trouble they had no one to slow down TD, Kawhi was a rookie but not inept, and Diaw was worthless that series because he refused to shoot outside of 12 feet. For instance, we dominated OKC in the 2011 regular season (3 blowout wins, against essentially the same team and one that got to the WCF that year as well) by playing Bonner big minutes which disallowed Ibaka to block shots from TP/Manu/RJ (Kawhi) et al. in the paint.

Kawhitstorm
06-06-2016, 02:08 PM
If only we had gone through Manu in game 4.... also Duncan, Kawhi and Bonner were grossly underused. Once Perkins was in foul trouble they had no one to slow down TD, Kawhi was a rookie but not inept, and Diaw was worthless that series because he refused to shoot outside of 12 feet. For instance, we dominated OKC in the 2011 regular season (3 blowout wins, against essentially the same team and one that got to the WCF that year as well) by playing Bonner big minutes which disallowed Ibaka to block shots from TP/Manu/RJ (Kawhi) et al. in the paint.

Bonner was back to his playoff choker mode in 2012.:wakeup

UNT Eagles 2016
06-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Bonner was back to his playoff choker mode in 2012.:wakeup

meh, still better than Diaw... Bonner was fine imo

therealtruth
06-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I like Boban but he's a good backup center at best and nothing more. Even when Pop played Boban in game 6 he wasn't a factor and the refs called a ton of fouls on him quickly. Also Adams and Kanter carved him up when he was on the floor. Boban defensively against OKC is a liability because he doesn't have the lateral mobility to switch off effectively on pick and rolls. Can't blame Pop for not playing a guy who wasn't suited to match up with OKC. I agree Kyle Anderson sucks but who else is on the roster that Pop could have played over him to backup Kawhi other than Kevin Martin. Duncan's rapid decline was also the final nail in the coffin in this series. I'm convinced if the Spurs had Duncan from earlier this season they would have won the series. Losing sucks but there is nothing Pop could have done to stop Duncan's decline, or fix the roster problem of not having a legit SG/SF backup along with not having any legit bigs outside of Aldridge.

If we only had a big with good mobility like Splitter. He would have helped neutralize Adams/Kanter. Alot of people don't realize how important Splitter was to getting that championship. The problem is he couldn't stay healthy but when healthy he made a difference. I think the Spurs get past the Clippers if he was healthy last season.