PDA

View Full Version : OT: Favorite era of wrestling

djohn2oo8
06-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Since not alot of people post in the other forum...what was your favorite era/matches? I loved the WWF attitude era

9hMp65SzyTU

RD2191
06-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Not a huge fan and I mostly watched as a kid so I guess I'd go with the late 90s era.

resistanze
06-04-2016, 07:25 PM
The Undertaker
Diesel
Yokozuna
Bret Hart
Razor Ramon
British Bulldog
Shawn Michaels

That was the shit growing up. Stopped watching after The Rock/Stone cold era so wouldn't know anything else.

Mitch
06-04-2016, 07:31 PM
I grew up with New Generation and Attitude, didn't really watch much after that. Attitude was entertaining, I watched almost every week.

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-04-2016, 07:35 PM
sf1EVtvHvwU

Thread
06-04-2016, 07:41 PM
My first favorite era was local wrestling in Cleveland as a youngster. They'd wrestle twixt Cleveland, Detroit and a little into Canada. You'd hear about other areas of the country, but, it wasn't nationalized which made it all the more fascinating.

After I went to Nam I came back and it was different. I took a walk thru Jerkwater, USA. Got a shave, dry, then went into the woods and hamstrung the deputy. The Sheriff got smart and I threatened to cut his gullet. I said: "In town you're the big shot. Out here, no more big shot."

RD2191
06-04-2016, 07:46 PM
My first favorite era was local wrestling in Cleveland as a youngster. They'd wrestle twixt Cleveland, Detroit and a little into Canada. You'd hear about other areas of the country, but, it wasn't nationalized which made it all the more fascinating.

After I went to Nam I came back and it was different. I took a walk thru Jerkwater, USA. Got a shave, dry, then went into the woods and hamstrung the deputy. The Sheriff got smart and I threatened to cut his gullet. I said: "In town you're the big shot. Out here, no more big shot."

Bend over, I'll show you a big shot.

Thebesteva
06-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Since not alot of people post in the other forum...what was your favorite era/matches? I loved the WWF attitude era

9hMp65SzyTU

The attitude era and then the golden era. Just fun to watch TV tbh...but I was also a young buck with ambitions to be a pinoy nurse.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-04-2016, 07:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKskWbf1Q5I

Just epic

Thread
06-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I enjoyed the Savage era. It had a clarity that I found appealing. There was a structure to it that endured for many years. You knew what was coming. You could count on it.

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I enjoyed the Savage era. It had a clarity that I found appealing. There was a structure to it that endured for many years. You knew what was coming. You could count on it.
He had the best promos

PrlSz-Xxo50

Thread
06-04-2016, 08:22 PM
He had the best promos

PrlSz-Xxo50

Yep, he poured his heart & soul into that act. He cared. And he finished well.

I saw an interview on YouTube where he talked about not winning the WWF belt, because we all know it's arranged, but, how he carried himself during his tenure as Champion.

He & Steamboat put on a 3 year hammer & tong extravaganza that remains without peer. Both at prime,,,prime-prime. They never faltered. They never gave a thing away. We bought it all & we paid for it.

RsxPiimp
06-04-2016, 08:30 PM
ultimate warrior era, yellow hulk, jake the snake, british bulldog, bushwhackers, the rockers era. not sure what that is but those were the best imo...

RsxPiimp
06-04-2016, 08:32 PM
people used to go bonkers when these two were introduced
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/08/7b/b9/087bb98c11994c8f6158d2bf915a3e13.jpg

RsxPiimp
06-04-2016, 08:32 PM
I still have this guys action figure somewhere in the attic tbh :lol

http://yofuiaegb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/El-Poli-loco.jpg

Thread
06-04-2016, 08:35 PM
I still have this guys action figure somewhere in the attic tbh :lol

http://yofuiaegb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/El-Poli-loco.jpg

Yep, there were many tiers of quality. And each tier remained intact. Nobody tried to rise above, or, fall below. That's important.

Splits
06-04-2016, 08:36 PM

Lying racist, you never went to Nam

StrengthAndHonor
06-04-2016, 08:38 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/08/7b/b9/087bb98c11994c8f6158d2bf915a3e13.jpg

They look like characters from Gem and the Holograms...

Biggems
06-04-2016, 08:39 PM
I first watched WCCW in the late 70s to early 80s....loved the von Erichs, Bruiser Brody, and Ice Man King Parsons.....hated Ric Flair, the Fabulous Freebirds, Kamala, the Missing Link, Skandar Akbar, and Percy Pringle.

Then I started watching WWF....loved Heenan, Gorilla, and Vince hosting and commentating. I was a big fan of Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, KoKo B Ware, and JYD.

Later in the 80s, I found WCW, NWA, and AWA. I loved WCW, but wasn't really a big fan of the other two.....Though, I know WCW and NWA shared several wrestlers. Sting was my favorite WCW wrestler. I also loved the Road Warriors, Steiner Brothers, Ricky Steamboat.....hated the 4 Horsemen and Midnight Express.

I missed the first part of the attitude era for WWE, cause I was so into WCW. Once I started watching it, I loved it.....Stone Cold and the Rock had me crackin up with their mic skills.....so did Vince, Stephanie, Y2J, DX Edge and Christian......

For WCW the NWO was great until everybody and their mother joined.....and then split into the Wolfpack.......

Then came the end of WCW (I didn't like the filthy animals angle cause it took the masks off two luchadors)

Next I watched TNA.....I really liked AJ Styles and the original X Division. Now it is pathetic.

I was a huge fan of the original John Cena character, the Dr. of Thuganomics.......I still like him, but I miss the way he would put down his opponents.....

The one promotion I never really got a chance to see, was ECW.....it sucks, cause I missed out on The Innovator of Violence in his prime, Sandman, The homicidal suicidal genocidal Sabu, the whole bleeping show RVD, The Dudleys, etc....

From a wrestling standpoint.....90s WCW was my favorite.

From a promo standpoint......attitude WWE was my favorite.

TheGreatYacht
06-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Thread is a wrestling fan, racist, and a trump supporter :lol wouldn't doubt it if he had a mini bible in his purse

Splits
06-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) is a wrestling fan, racist, and a trump supporter :lol wouldn't doubt it if he had a mini bible in his purse

He can't possibly be a Trump supporter, dude got deferment after deferment after deferment after deferment from Nam.

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2016, 08:59 PM
WM3 on youtube or royal rumble 3, all t hose guys ended up being legends or hof

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Lying racist, you never went to Nam

Yes, I did. One time, I walked up on this hill. We'd bombed it like all nite. Walked up on it. Not one, not one single dink body could be found. I said, Splits, I said:::Someday this war is gonna end and I'm gonna go back to the states and take the Greyhound to Jerkwater, USA. Gonna aggravate the shit outta the local sheriff then just run like hell into the woods and pick 'em off one at-a-time. Smells, smells like OKC just kicked your ass up so high it doubles as a hump.

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) is a wrestling fan, racist, and a trump supporter :lol wouldn't doubt it if he had a mini bible in his purse

I'll boil it, Yachtzy:::Scoreboard:::OKC

CHARGE!!!

Splits
06-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Yes, I did. One time, I walked up on this hill. We'd bombed it like all nite. Walked up on it. Not one, not one single dink body could be found. I said, Splits, I said:::Someday this war is gonna end and I'm gonna go back to the states and take the Greyhound to Jerkwater, USA. Gonna aggravate the shit outta the local sheriff then just run like hell into the woods and pick 'em off one at-a-time. Smells, smells like OKC just kicked your ass up so high it doubles as a hump.

Liar. You were changing bedpans in Ft. Bragg.

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:07 PM
I first watched WCCW in the late 70s to early 80s....loved the von Erichs, Bruiser Brody, and Ice Man King Parsons.....hated Ric Flair, the Fabulous Freebirds, Kamala, the Missing Link, Skandar Akbar, and Percy Pringle.

Then I started watching WWF....loved Heenan, Gorilla, and Vince hosting and commentating. I was a big fan of Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, KoKo B Ware, and JYD.

Later in the 80s, I found WCW, NWA, and AWA. I loved WCW, but wasn't really a big fan of the other two.....Though, I know WCW and NWA shared several wrestlers. Sting was my favorite WCW wrestler. I also loved the Road Warriors, Steiner Brothers, Ricky Steamboat.....hated the 4 Horsemen and Midnight Express.

I missed the first part of the attitude era for WWE, cause I was so into WCW. Once I started watching it, I loved it.....Stone Cold and the Rock had me crackin up with their mic skills.....so did Vince, Stephanie, Y2J, DX Edge and Christian......

For WCW the NWO was great until everybody and their mother joined.....and then split into the Wolfpack.......

Then came the end of WCW (I didn't like the filthy animals angle cause it took the masks off two luchadors)

Next I watched TNA.....I really liked AJ Styles and the original X Division. Now it is pathetic.

I was a huge fan of the original John Cena character, the Dr. of Thuganomics.......I still like him, but I miss the way he would put down his opponents.....

The one promotion I never really got a chance to see, was ECW.....it sucks, cause I missed out on The Innovator of Violence in his prime, Sandman, The homicidal suicidal genocidal Sabu, the whole bleeping show RVD, The Dudleys, etc....

From a wrestling standpoint.....90s WCW was my favorite.

From a promo standpoint......attitude WWE was my favorite.

Yep, they'd sit around that table and they'd play it straight for 90 minutes, Bigs. Gorilla would call him "Brain" with a straight face. Damn, I miss that.

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Liar. You were changing bedpans in Ft. Bragg.

No. I was shinin' a seat at Bragg. I was gettin' a ride out of town in Jerkwater. "Hope this ride helped you out. Have a good day."

Splits
06-04-2016, 10:11 PM
No. I was shinin' a seat at Bragg. I was gettin' a ride out of town in Jerkwater. "Hope this ride helped you out. Have a good day."

Lemme guess, you're Pre-Pau just like you were Pre-Draft.

Lying racist.

You voting for DDTrump?

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Lemme guess, you're Pre-Pau just like you were Pre-Draft.

Lying racist.

You voting for DDTrump?

Did OKC leave you dead in the ground?

Splits
06-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Did OKC leave you dead in the ground?

Yes.

You voting for Draft-Dodging Trump?

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Yes.

You voting for Draft-Dodging Trump?

Were they selling your shit?

DJR210
06-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Favorite era is 95-99' ECW.. The attitude era and then years later WCW's bullshit hardcore division and the hiring of Vince Russo was all because of ECW setting trends.

Splits
06-04-2016, 10:17 PM

Yes. Just like in 2004 when they were selling your -550 shit.

Now answer the question: you voting for DDT?

DJR210
06-04-2016, 10:22 PM

Paved the way for teams like the Hardy Boyz and now the Young Bucks

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Yes. Just like in 2004 when they were selling your -550 shit.

Now answer the question: you voting for DDT?

Splits
06-04-2016, 10:30 PM

I already answered the question.

Now answer mine: you voting for DDT?

Thread
06-04-2016, 10:31 PM
I already answered the question.

Now answer mine: you voting for DDT?

Splits
06-04-2016, 10:46 PM

Look at this pussy. Chose to clean shitpans at Ft. Bragg instead of standing shoulder-to-shoulder with his "comrades" in Hanoi. Then, can't even answer a simple question when his question has been answered.

A pussy.

A racist.

A Post-Pau.

All three in the same.

Thread
06-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Look at this pussy. Chose to clean shitpans at Ft. Bragg instead of standing shoulder-to-shoulder with his "comrades" in Hanoi. Then, can't even answer a simple question when his question has been answered.

A pussy.

A racist.

A Post-Pau.

All three in the same.

They were selling your shit.

Splits
06-04-2016, 11:23 PM
They were selling your shit.

So.

You voting for Trump?

da_suns_fan
06-05-2016, 12:16 AM
The N.W.O/Sting feud was the best IMO.

Kevin Nash had a great retrospective about the guys from the 70s "taking heat". He said they used to brag about how people would throw trash into the ring because they were so hated. Then the NWO happened and Nash said he was fearful theyd be able to get out alive:

3hILCw66sLU

Big Dog
06-05-2016, 01:02 AM
I started watching wcw as early as The Giant began to make his debut. I was a kid and could not turn away from the way they sensationalized his presence in the ring. Him feuding with Hulk Hogan around the time of the hogwild ppv was, now that I look back in time and rewatch, some of the funniest realest shit ever even if its scripted. I still remember watching the moment Razor made his debut in wcw. I was watching that program at the time hoping for a lit-ass showdown between the giant and the shark. Little did we know that razor would make his debut, and start a fucking evolution that took the company to its peak and valley.

Big Dog
06-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Once the NWO formed and became more frequent, I grew tired of it. I started to watch WWF and grew to love the promos. Everything was so PC-free, and natural. That was the shit to watch if you wanted to be entertained every dull monday evening from 97-01.

Big Dog
06-05-2016, 01:06 AM
:lol at all those biker hicks ringside at hogwild. Goddamn fucking WCW tried its hardest to pander to its southern inbred hicks who loved rasslin

Chris
06-05-2016, 01:43 AM
1985-1995 was my favorite era for nostalgic reasons. When the Attitude era arrived all the heels would get cheered and the faces would get boo'd. :lol The business would never be the same.

AlexJones
06-05-2016, 02:28 AM
WCW was better than anything WWE. Even 2000 WCW

Robz4000
06-05-2016, 03:24 AM
Stone Cold era was the shit tbh. Once he stopped being a full-time fixture I stopped watching.

midnightpulp
06-05-2016, 03:57 AM
I'm an admitted wrestling nerd.

Grew up with 80's era WWF, and like every other kid born in the late-70's/early 80's, I was of course a big Hogan and then Warrior fan. But time has not been kind to that era. Most of WWF's roster from that period was awful technically (outside of Steamboat, the British Bulldogs, the Harts, Ted DiBiase, and later on Mr. Perfect and Shawn Michaels) and just "ok" on the stick aside from Hogan, Piper and Jake the Snake. 80's NWA/WCW was the superior product and holds up better today. Much better technical wrestlers and talkers (Flair, prime Steamboat, prime Greg Valentine, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Dusty, the Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette, the Rock and Roll Express, Terry Funk, the Great Muta, etc). NWA's "low budget" production also works in its favor compared to WWF's spectacle, since the former style made it feel like a sporting event rather than a live action comic book, which WWF was going for. You also had Jim Ross calling the action in WCW then.

So yea, 80's NWA/WCW is probably my favorite. Really just a perfect wrestling product. Great atmosphere, great roster, great feuds, no political correctness bullshit (Jim Cornette once told a black wrestler he was going to read Roots backwards to him so it can have a happy ending) and Jim Ross calling it all. Also, Kayfabe was still going on, so a lot people still "believed" or at the very least pretended to. Nothing funnier then watching old ladies get legitimately pissed when Flair would cheat and win.

Thread
06-05-2016, 04:13 AM
So.

You voting for Trump?

Were they selling yoru shit?

Thread
06-05-2016, 09:07 AM
You are a sad old man. It's bad enough how much you hate yourself for fantasizing about touching little boys and sucking Tim Duncan's cock, you are now taking to living through old Stallone movies to give some sort of meaning to your otherwise pathetic existence.

Sounds like you need the old yeller treatment. Or a prison sentence worthy of your sickness where you're beaten to death

Well, smell you. Old Billy the Kid thinks you like him.

Ashy Larry
06-05-2016, 10:03 AM
The 80s when it was The Horsemen vs The Road Warriors, Koloff and Rhodes. You gotta be good I. The ring and great behind the mic and Flair was the GOAT. Road Warrior Hawk was solid as well.

CitizenDwayne
06-05-2016, 10:08 AM
80s/early 90s NWA/WCW - Flair, Harley Race, Terry Funk, Steamboat, Dusty, Road Warriors, Great Muta, Midnight Express, Rock n Roll Express, later Sting, Vader, Luger, Cactus Jack. Great time to be a wrestling fan

DJR210
06-05-2016, 11:21 AM
:lol at all those biker hicks ringside at hogwild. Goddamn fucking WCW tried its hardest to pander to its southern inbred hicks who loved rasslin

TBH, I don't think half those hicks even like wrestling.. Hog Wild was a free show they're just mooching

lefty
06-05-2016, 11:22 AM
:lol today's wrestling

.G.
06-05-2016, 12:19 PM
80s - 90s.

Hogan v. Andre the Giant in front of 93k at the Pontiac Silverdome. Dat body slam :cry

Hogan v. Ultimate Warrior in WM6 at the SkyDome.

British Bulldog v. Brett Hart in Summer Slam 92 at Wembley Stadium.

Abdullah the Butcher getting fried in the electric chair at Halloween Havoc :lol

And definitely anything involving these motherfuckers:
http://orig00.deviantart.net/cc93/f/2012/065/a/6/legion_of_doom_wallpaper_by_deviantfafnir-d4ryevy.jpg

I stopped giving a fuck right around NWO era :sleep

resistanze
06-05-2016, 12:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_hYvj_g3w

SpursDynasty
06-05-2016, 04:43 PM
It is commonly agreed upon within the internet wrestling community that 1997 is the greatest year of wrestling. WCW was hot with the nWo at its peak, and even though WWF was losing in the ratings every week, their product was compelling as it began crossing the line between the cartoon era and the Attitude Era. Once they were actually fully into the Attitude Era it was a bit too TrashTV for me.

Thread
06-05-2016, 04:51 PM
80s - 90s.

Hogan v. Andre the Giant in front of 93k at the Pontiac Silverdome. Dat body slam :cry

Hogan v. Ultimate Warrior in WM6 at the SkyDome.

British Bulldog v. Brett Hart in Summer Slam 92 at Wembley Stadium.

Abdullah the Butcher getting fried in the electric chair at Halloween Havoc :lol

And definitely anything involving these motherfuckers:
http://orig00.deviantart.net/cc93/f/2012/065/a/6/legion_of_doom_wallpaper_by_deviantfafnir-d4ryevy.jpg

I stopped giving a fuck right around NWO era :sleep

I remember when they sold LOD out. Terribly ugly.

Chris
06-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Once they were actually fully into the Attitude Era it was a bit too TrashTV for me.

That's because of Vince Russo and his 'Jerry Springer style' approach to writing. He could give a damn who gets over, and would basically throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. He killed WCW, and attempted to kill TNA as well. He's a blight upon wrestling. Check out the Jim Cornette shoots on him (youtube); they are outstanding.

TampaDude
06-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Late '90s WCW. Even though it kinda flamed out at the end, the whole NWO thing was the best angle ever in pro wrestling.

DJR210
06-06-2016, 05:59 PM
the whole NWO thing was the best angle ever in pro wrestling.

Early stage nWo you mean.. That shit got REALLY stupid after a couple years.. Wolfpac, LWO, the rebooted nWo with Jeff Jarrett.. That crap had like 30 members including nWo Japan :lol

DJR210
06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
That's because of Vince Russo and his 'Jerry Springer style' approach to writing. He could give a damn who gets over, and would basically throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. He killed WCW, and attempted to kill TNA as well. He's a blight upon wrestling. Check out the Jim Cornette shoots on him (youtube); they are outstanding.

:lmao Judy Bagwell on a fucking forklift match FTWWWWWWWWW
:lmao Russo

I remember when they sold LOD out. Terribly ugly.

When they renamed them the Legion of Doom, or when they took Hawk's real life alcoholism issues and turned it into a murder/suicide angle off the Titantron? :lol

Thread
06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
When they renamed them the Legion of Doom, or when they took Hawk's real life alcoholism issues and turned it into a murder/suicide angle off the Titantron? :lol

When they'd had their run and management had them lose in broad daylight. Those moments were always very sad. Did the same thing to the Bushwhackers and many other wrestling acts. Makes you sick to your stomach because you remember when they were on top and showcased and everything was ahead of them. Sure, I knew the points on their shoulder pads were rubber, but, they never let the camera see & show that until they crapped out. Eh, what can you do, just another ugly side of life. Gotta take it.

AlexJones
06-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Late '90s WCW. Even though it kinda flamed out at the end, the whole NWO thing was the best angle ever in pro wrestling.
SHORT SERIES FOR THE SHARKS