PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Break these stupid effing conferences up

Gummi Clutch
06-08-2016, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen an EC playoff game in over 10 years (maybe 1 or 2 actually..) . The NBA finals always the WCF. I'm tired of this stupid bullcrap, the matchups later on would be so much better without this. Its been beaten to death but it needs to be revamped.

offset formation
06-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Totally agree. But how would scheduling work though?

Gummi Clutch
06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
randomized bracket every year (stratified on win % so you don't end up with #1 vs #2 in the 1st round).

Can't think of any better way . The only reason conferences stand is to build this false sense of allegiance. There is none. Team's hate who they hate and will cheer for who they want to.

DMX7
06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Given that we're in the salary cap era, there really shouldn't be this dominance from one conference over the other but there is.

HarlemHeat37
06-08-2016, 12:17 PM
They didn't do it in the 80s, nor did they do it in the early 2000s(when the East was at it's lowest point), so they won't do it now..

The bottom of the East has finally surpassed the latter part of the West, the NBA will just have to wait for the top to turn..

Killakobe81
06-08-2016, 12:43 PM
I get the sentiment but the EC hHeat just won backtoback tiles 4 years ago ...
Harlem is right, why make a drastic change when who knows what things will look like a few years?
It is what it is ...

Killakobe81
06-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Besides when Baby duncan and Lebron 2.0 are leading the sixers to a title in 3 years ...
The East will be on top ...

:lol

jeebus
06-08-2016, 12:46 PM
The east is so shitty this year that teams like the Pistons had an inflated win column, which makes it look like they're catching up. You put the Jazz in the east and they make the ECF easily. Instead you had the Cuckaliers and the vanilla rapper's favorite team trying to outsuck each other to see who gets raped by the west champ.

Caltex2
06-08-2016, 02:45 PM
I suggested this months back:

My conferences:

WEST

Mountain or Northwest Division

Denver
Oklahoma City
Phoenix
San Antonio
Utah

Pacific Division

Golden State
LA Clippers
LA Lakers
Portland
Sacramento

CENTRAL

Midwest Division

Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Indiana
Milwaukee

Southwest Division

Dallas
Houston
Minnesota
Memphis
New Orleans

EAST

Atlantic Division

Boston
Brooklyn
New York
Philadelphia
Toronto

Southeast Division

Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami
Orlando
Washington

--Each division winner is a top 6 seed and last 10 are wild cards. Reseed after each round. HCA still by record.

--3 conferences of 10, divisions of 5.

--5 games against each division opponent=20 games
--4 games against teams in the other conference division=20 games
--2 games against teams in the other two conferences=40 games
--1 rotating extra game against someone from the other conferences=2 games

82 games

sook
06-08-2016, 06:31 PM
I suggested this months back:

My conferences:

WEST

Mountain or Northwest Division

Denver
Oklahoma City
Phoenix
San Antonio
Utah

Pacific Division

Golden State
LA Clippers
LA Lakers
Portland
Sacramento

CENTRAL

Midwest Division

Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Indiana
Milwaukee

Southwest Division

Dallas
Houston
Minnesota
Memphis
New Orleans

EAST

Atlantic Division

Boston
Brooklyn
New York
Philadelphia
Toronto

Southeast Division

Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami
Orlando
Washington

--Each division winner is a top 6 seed and last 10 are wild cards. Reseed after each round. HCA still by record.

--3 conferences of 10, divisions of 5.

--5 games against each division opponent=20 games
--4 games against teams in the other conference division=20 games
--2 games against teams in the other two conferences=40 games
--1 rotating extra game against someone from the other conferences=2 games

82 games

there is no reason for the SW division to be the way it is. For a good portion every single team had a strong chance of making the post season.

Caltex2
06-08-2016, 07:03 PM
So who would you suggest be moved? About out of options there, someone has to go out west.

dbestpro
06-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Allow teams to play defense, and everything will be solved.

Mark Celibate
06-09-2016, 05:43 AM
Just switch all Texan teams to the east and the whole thing is fixed tbh.

JoeTait75
06-09-2016, 08:43 AM
So who would you suggest be moved? About out of options there, someone has to go out west.

Do away with conferences altogether and go with five divisions of six teams apiece:

NORTHEAST: Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto

SOUTHEAST: Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, Memphis, New Orleans

CENTRAL: Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota

MIDWEST: Denver, Utah, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio

PACIFIC: Portland, Golden State, Sacramento, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Phoenix

Seed the playoffs 1-16 with division winners seeded by record but given automatic HCA in the first round.

Caltex2
06-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Do away with conferences altogether and go with five divisions of six teams apiece:

NORTHEAST: Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto

SOUTHEAST: Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, Memphis, New Orleans

CENTRAL: Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota

MIDWEST: Denver, Utah, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio

PACIFIC: Portland, Golden State, Sacramento, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Phoenix

Seed the playoffs 1-16 with division winners seeded by record but given automatic HCA in the first round.

How would you do the scheduling? I at least had scheduling that ended up back at 82 games.

JoeTait75
06-09-2016, 11:20 AM
How would you do the scheduling? I at least had scheduling that ended up back at 82 games.

If you play every division opponent six times and non-division opponents twice that comes out to 78 games.

If I was a Timberwolves fan (or a player) I'd love this arrangement. They're in the worst position geographically and competitively the way things are set up now.

Caltex2
06-09-2016, 11:39 AM
If you play every division opponent six times and non-division opponents twice that comes out to 78 games.

If I was a Timberwolves fan (or a player) I'd love this arrangement. They're in the worst position geographically and competitively the way things are set up now.

You could also designate a rotating extra game against an opponent from each division or do it based on their finish in the standings like the NFL. Do that and you're at 82 games. That will work. :toast

Killakobe81
06-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Yo Tait, how ya feelin'?
Hope restored to Believeland?
cautiously optimistic or waiting for the bottom to fall out?

whitemamba
06-09-2016, 12:41 PM
what if the conferences were randomized every year, like lottery style...

Caltex2
06-09-2016, 12:51 PM
what if the conferences were randomized every year, like lottery style...

It'd be better just to eliminate them altogether at that point, which isn't a totally bad idea. You think the NBA doesn't want more Knicks-Lakers matchups, especially if both are good? More Spurs-Cavs and Warriors-Cavs?

JoeTait75
06-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Yo Tait, how ya feelin'?
Hope restored to Believeland?
cautiously optimistic or waiting for the bottom to fall out?

I'm glad they showed they can beat the Warriors and I'm glad I can look forward to a Friday night Finals game. I still think the Warriors are the better team but I'm willing to take it game-by-game and see what happens.

whitemamba
06-09-2016, 01:22 PM
It'd be better just to eliminate them altogether at that point, which isn't a totally bad idea. You think the NBA doesn't want more Knicks-Lakers matchups, especially if both are good? More Spurs-Cavs and Warriors-Cavs?

Main issue is scheduling at that point, travel plans would probably be pretty crazy.

Caltex2
06-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Look at baseball, which has teams on both coast in the same league. it can be done.