PDA

View Full Version : In memoriam: 2005 Spurs title run

Arcadian
06-10-2016, 02:52 PM
I was just watching some old videos and remembered why this is my favorite (and arguably the best) Spurs team ever. ’14 comes close, but I give the edge to ’05. That ’05 title run was the crown jewel of this franchise IMO considering the team composition and competition. First you had Duncan and Manu at their peaks, a true Big 3 with three guys who could score 20+ any given night, great role players, great shooters, and great defenders. Everyone accepted and played their roles to perfection. In the playoffs, they ran with an 8-man rotation with Horry/Barry/Udrih coming off the bench (and spot minutes for Massenberg/Rasho). I feel that team had the perfect balance of depth and star power.

That team had great passing and chemistry, and they could play any style. They could beat the Suns with high-tempo offense, and they could beat the Pistons with grind-out defense. In those playoffs, they went through the prime Carmelo Nuggets, prime Ray Allen Sonics, prime Nash/Marion/Amare Suns, and the defending-champion Pistons.

I especially enjoyed the WCF vs the Suns. That series was interesting because, although the Spurs won in 5 games (despite not having HCA), every individual game was close, decided by 10 points or fewer and with lots of lead changes. Here are full game videos of games 2 and 5 with Spanish commentary. Game 2 was the better game, but the game 5 video has much better video/audio quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Bno6PrWY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYhB0LdRyS8

For the series, Duncan averaged 27 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks (rounding off decimals) on 53% FG and 75% FT (including a 15/15 FT night). His nemesis Stoudemire averaged 37/10/1/2. That was a great battle in itself. As usual, Duncan delivered a deathblow in the closeout game, putting up 31/15/4/3 on 58% FG. Series stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2005-nba-western-conference-finals-spurs-vs-suns.html

And of course, none of you need to be reminded of how epic the ’05 Finals were. The Wallace brothers collectively were a great matchup for Duncan. I remember Sports Illustrated did a feature called "Fire vs. Ice: Rasheed vs. Duncan" before the series. Their personalities were polar opposites, but they played the same position. These vids show the 4Q and OT of game 5, a 1-point victory for the Spurs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iFFS6LnHwA
(can't put any more vids in my post, but you'll clearly see parts 2-4)

We've had this discussion many times, but which is your favorite Spurs team? The best? Hardest path to the title?

Oh, and :lol Suns

Twisted_Dawg
06-10-2016, 03:40 PM
I will say that Pistons team was the absolute best team we ever played in the finals.

Killakobe81
06-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Manu with hair was awesome ...
Horry uber clutch
Duncan was a boss vs Suns

tbdog
06-10-2016, 04:40 PM
I will say that Pistons team was the absolute best team we ever played in the finals.

That Pistons team was amazing, but in my opinion, the 13&14 Heat team was better. Lebron was pretty much at his peak. And considering he is the best player since Jordan, to beat him against that relatively healthy team was a better achievement. Mind you, I don't think any team beats the 14 Spurs in the finals. I have never seen a team peak so beautifully and perfectly like they did.

SpursforSix
06-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Manu with hair was awesome ...
Horry uber clutch
Duncan was a boss vs Suns

I always remember the Horry dunk and final 3 pointer. But I had forgotten just how good a 4th quarter he really had.

rmt
06-10-2016, 04:57 PM
IMO, the 05 team was the most versatile team. With the big 3 in their primes and with veteran role players, they could play any style and had a good balance of offense/defense. The 14 team was great in the Finals but would have had problems against a team with a great big man (Duncan too old, not big enough front court) but fine vs Heat.

Arcadian
06-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I agree the '13 Heat were the best team that the Spurs have faced in the Finals, but IMO the total '05 playoff run was more impressive - mainly because the '05 Suns were one of the best teams ever not to win the title. OKC was also great in '14, but I'm gonna say the '05 Suns were better.

Man, a Suns vs. Pistons Finals in '05 would have been intriguing! I'm glad it didn't happen, though :lol

Keepin' it real
06-10-2016, 05:18 PM
I think the finals would have gone 7 either way, BUT, I would have loved to see how Manu would have done if he hadn't injured his thigh in game 3. Would have been MVP for sure.

lefty20
06-10-2016, 05:28 PM
05 Manu :worthy:

K...
06-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Did it die?

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-10-2016, 07:19 PM
1999 still my favorite title team...followed closely by 2014 and 2005...

z0sa
06-10-2016, 08:32 PM
The difference is 05 Timmy and Bruce. 2014 is just a hair below.

cd98
06-10-2016, 08:35 PM
I'd like to see '05 in today's NBA. I think they'd win it all this year.

cd98
06-10-2016, 08:37 PM
I hope they do a 30/30 on 2013 and 2014 Spurs run. Most devestating loss of all time in any sport and 2014 was best redemption.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-10-2016, 10:25 PM
for me,

1A. 2003
1B. 2005
3. 1999
4. 2014
Distant 5: 2007 (we were the beneficiaries of luck and NBA decisions for a change)

UNT Eagles 2016
06-10-2016, 10:29 PM
as far as I see it, the Spurs have 3 truly legit titles (throwing out '99 -- lockout and weakish competition and '07 -- Stern/Baron Davis/Rasheed going berserk) while the Lakers have only 2 ('09 had zero competition, '10 refs and no West competition, '02 completely rigged).

SASdynasty!
06-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Parker's defense on Rip at the end of Game 5 >>

cutewizard
06-10-2016, 11:40 PM
MANU SHOULD HAVE BEEN FINALS MVP THAT TIME!

Capt Bringdown
06-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Spurs should erect a statue of Horry in honor of '05. The championship was mainly due to his gritty, clutch play.

Sean Cagney
06-11-2016, 03:21 AM
as far as I see it, the Spurs have 3 truly legit titles (throwing out '99 -- lockout and weakish competition and '07 -- Stern/Baron Davis/Rasheed going berserk) while the Lakers have only 2 ('09 had zero competition, '10 refs and no West competition, '02 completely rigged).

All titles count man, you beat who was in front of you. You could do this legit or not for almost any title run a team had sides a few, it's just what if's.
for me,

1A. 2003
1B. 2005
3. 1999
4. 2014
Distant 5: 2007 (we were the beneficiaries of luck and NBA decisions for a change)
2003 is my personal fave too ironically.

TDomination
06-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Man i forgot how much Timmy struggled in game 5 in 2005 finals. What a bad 4th quarter and OT. Its probably a game that he personally doesn't like thinking of. Most of the time Tim is boss in the playoffs but that game... Horry was the obvious hero and Timmy mentioned it like 100 times in the presser afterwards. Seeing how they were down 4 with about 2 minutes to go and then they couldn't get a rebound with less than a minute. This game had LOSS written ALL OVER IT. Makes it that much sweeter.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-11-2016, 08:56 AM
I agree this was the best finals and the crown jewel of the Spur's dynasty. It was also Manu's championship IMHO or Manu's team, especially when it came down to beat the Pistons.

TDomination
06-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Oh and I am probably in the minority but I liked seeing the huge trophy emblem in the middle of the court along with seeing NBA FINALS written on the both sides of the court as well. For me, seeing it made me feel like we made it, its the finals. It added an excitement to it.

This year, theres nothing on the court that shows that its the finals.I know it had something to do with slipping on the logos but still, i wish they could figure out away to have it on there.

Even on their jerseys, usually there is a finals logo on the front of the jersey but now its all hidden in the back.

phxspurfan
06-11-2016, 12:40 PM
MANU SHOULD HAVE BEEN FINALS MVP THAT TIME!

this

T Park
06-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Oh and I am probably in the minority but I liked seeing the huge trophy emblem in the middle of the court along with seeing NBA FINALS written on the both sides of the court as well. For me, seeing it made me feel like we made it, its the finals. It added an excitement to it.

This year, theres nothing on the court that shows that its the finals.I know it had something to do with slipping on the logos but still, i wish they could figure out away to have it on there.

Even on their jerseys, usually there is a finals logo on the front of the jersey but now its all hidden in the back.

Yeah I agree. I miss Playoffs and Finals written on the court. I miss the trophy on the front of the jersey.

No clue why theyve gotten rid of all of this stuff.

timtonymanu
06-11-2016, 02:03 PM
2014 is still my favorite team, but can't beat prime Tim/Manu. Game 5 of the Finals still gives me goosebumps when Horry goes off.

Tully365
06-11-2016, 02:50 PM
great post, OP!

For me, the Spurs beating the Detroit team that had annihilated the Lakers the year before was extremely satisfying. I also remember in '04 how almost everybody was picking the Lakers to win their 4th with Shaq/Kobe, but Bill Russell picked Detroit because of their defense... that was pretty cool, too.

J.T.
06-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Went to Game 7 of that series, wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Couldn't speak for days after that, I yelled my face off cheering and probably made the dude in front of me go deaf in one ear banging those inflatable noisemaker things. Usually they give those out to people sitting behind the opposing team's goal in the 2nd half to distract free throw shooters. For that game they gave them out to EVERYBODY. It was insane.

Fun fact: The guy sitting in front of me was a Pistons fan.

Spurs1234
06-11-2016, 04:27 PM
If the Spurs lost game 5 vs Detroit in 2005 do you think they come back and win game 6 and 7 and still pull out the series? I think they do. The Pistons seemed to play down or up to their opponent those years and I think the Spurs still pull it out. The heat did the same in 2013 the lakers in 2010.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Man i forgot how much Timmy struggled in game 5 in 2005 finals. What a bad 4th quarter and OT. Its probably a game that he personally doesn't like thinking of. Most of the time Tim is boss in the playoffs but that game... Horry was the obvious hero and Timmy mentioned it like 100 times in the presser afterwards. Seeing how they were down 4 with about 2 minutes to go and then they couldn't get a rebound with less than a minute. This game had LOSS written ALL OVER IT. Makes it that much sweeter.
When they got that last rebound and tipped it back out I thought we have seen this before and game over, thought the Pistons would take the commanding 3-2 lead and the Spurs blew their 2-0 series lead and the series. That game was a miracle, still can't believe they pulled it out as bad as Tim was playing. He likes to forget his performance I would think being the media was getting to him after that and calling him Timid Timmy and so on. He looked vulnerable that game for once and showed cracks under pressure. Game 7 late shut all of that up, he came alive like a BOSS and took over that second half.
If the Spurs lost game 5 vs Detroit in 2005 do you think they come back and win game 6 and 7 and still pull out the series? I think they do. The Pistons seemed to play down or up to their opponent those years and I think the Spurs still pull it out. The heat did the same in 2013 the lakers in 2010.

No, being they lost game 6 at home. That Detroit team was just so gritty and tough they were right there with you. Spurs could have closed it out in 6, instead Detroit put a game together after that heart breaker in game 5 and took it.

tbdog
06-12-2016, 02:41 AM
Tim offensively in the 4th and OT was pretty poor. But damn that D on every layup attempt. Horry may won that game, but that contents on Billups drive the play before was clutch.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2016, 03:34 AM
Tim offensively in the 4th and OT was pretty poor. But damn that D on every layup attempt. Horry may won that game, but that contents on Billups drive the play before was clutch.

If Billups makes that layup no doubt in my mind that series is over with.

baseline bum
06-12-2016, 08:39 AM

I don't think the Spurs could have come back from losing a Game 5 to Detroit. I know the Pistons had a lackluster regular season that year, but that was one battle tested team that could win big games on the road. I mean they pulled out Game 7 in Miami against Prime Shaq, they took Game 6 in San Antonio. I think they were one shot away from repeating. I remember Pop saying he didn't how the hell they beat the Pistons.

Spurs1234
06-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Yeah, the spurs lost game 6, but there was a large let down after winning game 5. I think the spurs let the foot off the gas and thought the game 6 win would come easy. Didn't they plan a parade for that Thursday (game 6 was on tuesday). I think the spurs mindset is totally different for game 6 if they lose game 5. I still think they could have won the series. All they had to do was win game 6 at home. Game 7, the home team always has the advantage. If the spurs lost game 5, you would have had every game go to the home team. so while they would have been down 3-2, its not like they were really down in the series due to that stupid 2-3-2 format. So it sounds like people think the 2005 pistons were better than the 2014 heat in term of best finals team the spurs beat. I don't know if I agree with that, not that the 2005 pistons were not great, but the heat had a top 10 player arguably (LeBron) in their total prime, with a great supporting cast (and two legit HOF's beside him) going for a three peat. It seems popular to look back on the 2014 heat as a poor team (since the team got beat badly and then broke up), but that is just because the spurs went nuclear in that series and played probably the best finals performance in games 3-5. But go back and remember that team, after game 2, series tied 1-1 and without the AC going out and a great 4th quarter, you could talk yourself in the heat being up 2-0. Funny how quickly series can turn on a dime.

baseline bum
06-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Yeah, the spurs lost game 6, but there was a large let down after winning game 5. I think the spurs let the foot off the gas and thought the game 6 win would come easy. Didn't they plan a parade for that Thursday (game 6 was on tuesday). I think the spurs mindset is totally different for game 6 if they lose game 5. I still think they could have won the series. All they had to do was win game 6 at home. Game 7, the home team always has the advantage. If the spurs lost game 5, you would have had every game go to the home team. so while they would have been down 3-2, its not like they were really down in the series due to that stupid 2-3-2 format. So it sounds like people think the 2005 pistons were better than the 2014 heat in term of best finals team the spurs beat. I don't know if I agree with that, not that the 2005 pistons were not great, but the heat had a top 10 player arguably (LeBron) in their total prime, with a great supporting cast (and two legit HOF's beside him) going for a three peat. It seems popular to look back on the 2014 heat as a poor team (since the team got beat badly and then broke up), but that is just because the spurs went nuclear in that series and played probably the best finals performance in games 3-5. But go back and remember that team, after game 2, series tied 1-1 and without the AC going out and a great 4th quarter, you could talk yourself in the heat being up 2-0. Funny how quickly series can turn on a dime.

In 2014 the Spurs were really healthy though outside Parker. In 2005 Duncan was playing on two bad ankles, and you could see it in his energy levels by the fourth quarters of games. That was such a monster series from TD to grind it out like that against the Wallaces and then Antonio McDyess, what a punishing series that was. Plus Detroit was perfectly constructed to beat the Spurs and Lakers and they came so close to doing it. They were the worst matchup in the league for the Spurs by far.

horsielove
06-12-2016, 11:37 AM
i'm still looking for the spurs-sonics series. i can't find it anywhere. if someone has a link, please share. thank you.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-12-2016, 12:25 PM
If the Spurs lose in OT and lose that series, Duncan is eternally remembered as the guy who lost 2 championships on missed chip shots

Arcadian
06-12-2016, 02:45 PM
i'm still looking for the spurs-sonics series. i can't find it anywhere. if someone has a link, please share. thank you.

I could only find highlights:

https://youtu.be/0VV6ibmaUFc

https://youtu.be/2EjGCv8YPgY

cool cat
06-12-2016, 03:26 PM
NBA is sitting on an absolute gold mine in historical content. I would pay a good amount to be able to watch some old Spurs games in HD, or at least better then YouTube quality.

Arcadian
06-12-2016, 04:24 PM
NBA is sitting on an absolute gold mine in historical content. I would pay a good amount to be able to watch some old Spurs games in HD, or at least better then YouTube quality.

Yeah, I'd probably spend a stupid amount of money on classic Spurs game videos. Isn't the NBA actually creating an archive like that? I heard they were last year.

TDfan2007
06-12-2016, 05:01 PM
I just rewatched the 2005 video last week and that's probably the best Spurs team of all time. It was so fun watching Manu break out that year. He and Timmy made such a great duo. Tony also had a great WCF series against the Suns. So many great moments during that run, from Manu's game 5 takeover against the sonics, Timmy's 4th quarter against the Sonics in game 6, and games 5-7 of the finals as a whole.

I enjoyed 2014 the most, but damn that 2005 team was legit.