PDA

View Full Version : Spurs reportedly looking to move up in 2016 NBA draft

Pages : [1] 2

06-10-2016, 03:48 PM
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/741004506461278208

Speculation on which player they are targeting?

wildbill2u
06-10-2016, 03:54 PM
We are always 'rumored' to be doing something. I think it gives these so-called experts a way to post something without really having any information.

TheGreatYacht
06-10-2016, 05:16 PM
We are always 'rumored' to be doing something. I think it gives these so-called experts a way to post something without really having any information.
More reliable than our beat writers who have zero sources other than Woj and Marc Stein's twitters

TheGreatYacht
06-10-2016, 05:17 PM
If we can get a second rounder for Kyle Anders:loln.... RC is going back to back GM of the year tbh

coachmac87
06-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Jamal Murray

Mal
06-10-2016, 05:28 PM
It must be a player a Spurs did not interview or officially scout

JR3
06-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Last time we moved up in the draft we got a first team all NBA player and mvp candidate... Any team willing to trade their pick to us will be thinking twice....

TheGoldStandard
06-10-2016, 05:32 PM
If this is actually the case hopefully its a player they can use immediately and not someone they think will be great in 2 seasons. Hopefully its someone with athleticism and not just a character guy.

lefty20
06-10-2016, 05:56 PM
If this is actually the case hopefully its a player they can use immediately and not someone they think will be great in 2 seasons. Hopefully its someone with athleticism and not just a character guy.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Qy5Bipc3Yk4/hqdefault.jpg

TheGoldStandard
06-10-2016, 06:06 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Qy5Bipc3Yk4/hqdefault.jpg

Very rarely do you find guys with freak athleticism who are not full of themselves or have an arrogance about their games. This is a trait that the Spurs organization don't typically deal with.

Brian Windhorst
06-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Jamal Murray

What I was thinking, but I can't think of a package that would get us in the 5-8 range. Green + Pick 29 + '17 1st?

spurtech09
06-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Hmmm I doubt that will happen.....

CGD
06-10-2016, 07:40 PM
This seems obvious. Don't all gm seek opportunities to make deals?

baseline bum
06-10-2016, 07:46 PM
LOL Hoopsworld, Tspence has better sources than Alex Kennedy.

cd98
06-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Interesting but I think they try and move up every year.

DPG21920
06-10-2016, 09:02 PM

I'm no AK fan, but no. He has been around and while he's not some super tied in player in the NBA, he's not some no-name message board type.

baseline bum
06-10-2016, 09:04 PM
I'm no AK fan, but no. He has been around and while he's not some super tied in player in the NBA, he's not some no-name message board type.

I'll never trust anything out of Hoopsworld after they announced the Spurs were signing Karl Malone when the team called the press conference to announce Sean Elliott's jersey being retired.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-10-2016, 09:05 PM
If we can get a second rounder for Kyle Anders:loln.... RC is going back to back GM of the year tbh
I don't like Andershit, but trading a 1st round NBA player for a 2nd round rookie = GM of the year? Are you high on drugs?

UNT Eagles 2016
06-10-2016, 09:06 PM
I'll never trust anything out of Hoopsworld after they announced the Spurs were signing Karl Malone when the team called the press conference to announce Sean Elliott's jersey being retired.

I think Malone would have worn #11... probably would have dropped Mike Wilks anyway.

DPG21920
06-10-2016, 09:09 PM

Haha - I would tend to agree, the site is pretty garbage but he has to work somewhere. Was just saying I am very particular with regards to basketball and who I listen to and from my experience AK is not some complete hack. He tries to do a good job and has been credible enough.

I don't follow him or read him unless someone else post about him but from what I have seen he's been ok.

TheGreatYacht
06-10-2016, 09:22 PM
I don't like Andershit, but trading a 1st round NBA player for a 2nd round rookie = GM of the year? Are you high on drugs?
Do you think Fathead plays like a first rounder? If you do, get off the meth

Twisted_Dawg
06-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Has Tspence ever shown back up around here since his epic texts a few years back?

UNT Eagles 2016
06-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Do you think Fathead plays like a first rounder? If you do, get off the meth

no, but trading him for some eurotrash who may or may not ever come here would be accepting that he screwed the pooch in the 2014 draft.

GSH
06-10-2016, 10:15 PM

Most rumors about the Spurs are garbage, but I guess that goes for most rumors of any kind. I don't think they would trade up for a project, at this point in time.

I also don't think they could trade up to any of the top slots. They might be able to get up to the 14-15 range, and keep thinking they might take Denzel Valentine there. He's not the athletic wonder you're talking about, but nobody's going to nickname him Slow-Mo II. He is a character guy, but he's also one of those guys with some snap. (As opposed to slack-jawed, dull-eyed drones who happen to be able to jump.) He was also a good defender in college.

He's likely going to be a contributor as a rookie, wherever he plays. I agree with you - that's something the Spurs need. My biggest concern is that he played at the 3 quite a lot in college, but he's only 6'5". That makes him a bit of a tweener, since there's not much room for 6'5" SFs in the NBA. I'm really off of tweeners, after watching so many of them disappoint. And if I just had to pick a tweener, it would be tall SG, rather than a short SF.

Still, I think he would be an immediate asset. And I think the Spurs could trade up high enough to get him.

palangi
06-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Most rumors about the Spurs are garbage, but I guess that goes for most rumors of any kind. I don't think they would trade up for a project, at this point in time.

I also don't think they could trade up to any of the top slots. They might be able to get up to the 14-15 range, and keep thinking they might take Denzel Valentine there. He's not the athletic wonder you're talking about, but nobody's going to nickname him Slow-Mo II. He is a character guy, but he's also one of those guys with some snap. (As opposed to slack-jawed, dull-eyed drones who happen to be able to jump.) He was also a good defender in college.

He's likely going to be a contributor as a rookie, wherever he plays. I agree with you - that's something the Spurs need. My biggest concern is that he played at the 3 quite a lot in college, but he's only 6'5". That makes him a bit of a tweener, since there's not much room for 6'5" SFs in the NBA. I'm really off of tweeners, after watching so many of them disappoint. And if I just had to pick a tweener, it would be tall SG, rather than a short SF.

Still, I think he would be an immediate asset. And I think the Spurs could trade up high enough to get him.
Hey just like your thoughts!!!

:flypig:flypig:flypig

benefactor
06-10-2016, 10:29 PM
:lol Kennedy...I stopped following him when he adamantly declared New Orleans had made a trade during the draft a few years ago only to get called out by NO's GM for blatantly lying. He's a fucking nobody.

Keepin' it real
06-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Number 1 pick maybe??? Make it happen RC/Pop!

K...
06-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Has Tspence ever shown back up around here since his epic texts a few years back?

he popped up in the LMA thread i think. If we get a another big FA he could show up.

MaNu4Tres
06-10-2016, 11:21 PM
If there's anyway Spurs can trade up for Wade Baldwin or Demetrius Jackson...I'd be a happy man.

99 Problems
06-11-2016, 02:07 AM
They worked Cheick Diallo who is said to have elite defensive potential at 6'9 with long wing span. But he was going around our pick anyway. Maybe he's moving up and they attempting to move with him. :claw

Sean Cagney
06-11-2016, 02:44 AM

This.

cd021
06-12-2016, 01:39 PM
I would move Mills to Philly for the 26th pick and take Tauren Prince. I would use the 29th on Petr Cornellie or Stephen Zimmerman.

Prince is 6'7 1/2 with a 6'11 1/2 wingspan and 36" max vert (better than any player currently on the spurs) 38%3pt shooter, good rebound and very good defender who can defend multiple positions. Draftnet compares him to DeMarrie Carrol

Corneille and Zimmerman are both 7'0 footers with defensive potential and the ability to knock down jumpers. Both are very athletic .

PG-Parker
SG-Green, Manu, Simmons
SF-Leonard, Anderson, Prince, Bertans
PF-LMA, West, Anderson
C -Duncan or Starting Big, Boban, Corneille/ Zimmerman

makes more since if Duncan and Manu both return or if the Spurs have a good idea that they will.

Spurs would have a ton of length and size on the perimeter in this scenario. They would need to go out and get a serviceable backup and that could end up hurting next years team but they would have a ton of prospects on cheap contracts heading into 2017 FA.

Anderson, Prince, Zimmerman/Corneille, and Simmons (assuming he is still on the team) would combine to make about $5 million. Spurs could then bring over Milutinov and LJC and use the boat load of cap we may have to fill the other three roster spots.

r0drig0lac
06-12-2016, 01:45 PM
I hope it is an attempt to draft Taurean Prince

TrainOfThought5
06-12-2016, 06:05 PM
We. Need. A. Point. Guard.

spurtech09
06-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Yes another PG

SPURt
06-12-2016, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Wade Baldwin slide into the 12-15 range and the Spurs managing a trade of some sort for him. I just don't understand rumors like this when the Spurs don't really have any George Hill value level assets that make sense to trade.

DPG21920
06-12-2016, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Wade Baldwin slide into the 12-15 range and the Spurs managing a trade of some sort for him. I just don't understand rumors like this when the Spurs don't really have any George Hill value level assets that make sense to trade.

Depends - I mean, Boris' contract is great. If a team is looking to max out cap space, the ability to wipe out 4M instantly is huge. Mills can have some value.

I'm just hoping that Danny Green is not the casualty.

Keepin' it real
06-12-2016, 08:14 PM
I hope it is an attempt to draft Taurean Prince

T. Prince is like 40 years old lol !!

ernest787
06-12-2016, 08:25 PM
AK is a hack. He blocked from twitter for me calling on him a few years ago. He was tweeting news like 2 minutes after Woj and not crediting him when his source was clearly Woj's tweet.

SPURt
06-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Depends - I mean, Boris' contract is great. If a team is looking to max out cap space, the ability to wipe out 4M instantly is huge. Mills can have some value.

I'm with you on Green. The Spurs FO would need to really love the player they're getting back to move him.

cutewizard
06-12-2016, 11:56 PM
i like Baldwin, the next westbrook, aw

or perhaps the westbrook with the Spurs attitude

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2016, 12:07 AM
i like Baldwin, the next westbrook, aw

or perhaps the westbrook with the Spurs attitude

So he won't chase after rebounds or go strong to the hoop? So all that leaves is jumpers..

ceperez
06-13-2016, 04:57 AM
Last time we moved up in the draft we got a first team all NBA player and mvp candidate... Any team willing to trade their pick to us will be thinking twice....

Spurs will need to trade away a prized asset to make this case to another team.

r0drig0lac
06-13-2016, 05:06 AM

???

cd021
06-13-2016, 05:45 AM

Not even 22. Love the idea of nabbing him and adding him to Leonard, Green, Anderson, and Bertans, that is a long and/ or athletic wing rotation. Prince adds another wind defender to the roster and is a good 3pt shooter.

NASpurs
06-13-2016, 05:56 AM
???

Not even 22. Love the idea of nabbing him and adding him to Leonard, Green, Anderson, and Bertans, that is a long and/ or athletic wing rotation. Prince adds another wind defender to the roster and is a good 3pt shooter.

Tayshaun Prince joke.

woosh

Keepin' it real
06-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Sorry wrong T. Prince.

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2016, 09:23 AM
:pop: Think we could trade a young prospect for Tayshaun Prince

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2016, 10:17 AM
:pop: Think we could trade a young prospect for Tayshaun Prince
:lmao

dabom
06-13-2016, 10:18 AM

Does Fathead count? :lmao

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Don't think we can even get Kendrick Porkins for Fathead :lmao

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2016, 10:25 AM

:pop: Expect to see a lot of Kyle at the 2 this season.. Making em a hybrid combo guard

dabom
06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
:pop: Expect to see a lot of Kyle at the 2 this season.. Making em a hybrid combo guard
According to "ST Idiots" he can play the 1,2,3,4,5. :lmao

dabom
06-13-2016, 10:32 AM
If Spurs play Fathead 15 mins a game during the playoffs. We're gonna get bounced in the second round. Wasting Duncan's last year. :bang

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2016, 10:34 AM
If Spurs play Fathead 15 mins a game during the playoffs. We're gonna get bounced in the second round. Wasting Duncan's last year. :bang

:pop: 27 minutes tops and not a minute sooner.. I've got a short leash on Danny. Consider Kyle Weapon X

dabom
06-13-2016, 10:34 AM
:pop: 27 minutes tops and not a minute sooner.. I've got a short leash on Danny. Consider Kyle Weapon X

Dead. :lmao

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Dead. :lmao

:pop: I just hope that Weapon X takes the 4/60 deal we'll give him next summer. 15 is kind of low balling it for what he brings with his IQ

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2016, 10:43 AM
According to "ST Idiots" he can play the 1,2,3,4,5. :lmao
Those same idiots don't even think Boban is worth 2 million/yr :lmao

When the Spurs gave Jeff Ayres a 5M/2yr contract with a smaller cap lmfao

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Jesus lmfaooooo

dabom
06-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Those same idiots don't even think Boban is worth 2 million/yr :lmao

When the Spurs gave Jeff Ayres a 5M/2yr contract with a smaller cap lmfao

What? You don't like DWest at the 5? :lmao

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2016, 10:51 AM
What? You don't like DWest at the 5? :lmao
Would've worked against the small ball Warriors, but :pop: played him against 2 behemoths in Adams & Kanter

He was the sacrificial lamb

objective
06-13-2016, 10:55 AM

Isn't the problem moving Boris that the other team looking to clear the $4 million have to send back a guaranteed 8 (or more, or less to save less) back to the Spurs?

Seems like a tall order for the Spurs to take back that much guaranteed for who knows how long, regardless of player.

DPG21920
06-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Isn't the problem moving Boris that the other team looking to clear the $4 million have to send back a guaranteed 8 (or more, or less to save less) back to the Spurs?

Seems like a tall order for the Spurs to take back that much guaranteed for who knows how long, regardless of player.

Depends on the player/team. A team looking to move on from a player (Tyreke Evans for example) while at the same time looking to maximize cap space (plenty of teams) I think would be interested. Not a slam dunk, but the building blocks are there for the scenario.

MaNu4Tres
06-13-2016, 11:34 AM

The Spurs don't have to take back salary if the team they're trading him to has the cap space to absorb the salary. And with the upcoming increase of the cap, expect a lot more movement than usual ( a lot of teams will be having space).

objective
06-13-2016, 12:39 PM
The Spurs don't have to take back salary if the team they're trading him to has the cap space to absorb the salary. And with the upcoming increase of the cap, expect a lot more movement than usual ( a lot of teams will be having space).

Of course, but read the post I was addressing. That post was proposing that Boris had value because with his partial guarantee a team could save money on the deal.

But that only makes sense if the other team sent back salary. Because no team would trade empty cap space for Boris and then cut him, that would just mean that they added his partial guarantee for no reason and cost themselves cap room.

exstatic
06-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Of course, but read the post I was addressing. That post was proposing that Boris had value because with his partial guarantee a team could save money on the deal.

But that only makes sense if the other team sent back salary. Because no team would trade empty cap space for Boris and then cut him, that would just mean that they added his partial guarantee for no reason and cost themselves cap room.

Happens all the time. You send a heavily protected second rounder, and the cash to cover his salary fraction.

objective
06-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Happens all the time. You send a heavily protected second rounder, and the cash to cover his salary fraction.

None of that has anything to do with what I was posting about.

The scenario implied by other poster:

Team X might trade down in the draft with the Spurs (who would move up) to get Boris & his partial guarantee so that Team X could clear extra cap space. The cap room gained from cutting Boris would be the whole or majority motive for Team X (who might get the 29 also)

That can only work for Team X if they sent a big guaranteed contract to to the Spurs. Which is the the issue that could kill the deal. Who would the player be? How many years? Would it be worth it to the Spurs to give up free agency dreams to move up in the draft?

That is different than the Spurs just dumping Boris to a team that isn't going to be competitive in free agency and just wants to meet the salary floor if they even feel it. Sure, in that scenario, cash + a 2nd might be enough to dump Boris ... but there wouldn't be a higher first rounder heading back to the Spurs.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-13-2016, 07:28 PM

Team X might trade down in the draft with the Spurs (who would move up) to get Boris & his partial guarantee so that Team X could clear extra cap space. The cap room gained from cutting Boris would be the whole or majority motive for Team X (who might get the 29 also)

That can only work for Team X if they sent a big guaranteed contract to to the Spurs. Which is the the issue that could kill the deal. Who would the player be? How many years? Would it be worth it to the Spurs to give up free agency dreams to move up in the draft?

That is different than the Spurs just dumping Boris to a team that isn't going to be competitive in free agency and just wants to meet the salary floor if they even feel it. Sure, in that scenario, cash + a 2nd might be enough to dump Boris ... but there wouldn't be a higher first rounder heading back to the Spurs.

Sign and trade maybe?

Too bad Verde played like shit frankly. His value is diminished and likely our best chip potentially.

DPG21920
06-13-2016, 07:57 PM

I gave an example - Tyreke Evans. It's not at all "likely" but it's definitely a route to explore.

objective
06-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I gave an example - Tyreke Evans. It's not at all "likely" but it's definitely a route to explore.

Evans only has the 16/17 left on his deal and NO is picking 6th. I can't imagine a scenario where they would ever go from 6 to 29 or without a pick just to dump one year of Tyreke Evans when they can just dump him to a team for nothing if they want. Hell, I think the numbers work where the Spurs could send 29 for Evans straight up even if Manu and Duncan came back. Even without 29.

After looking at the cap situations and contracts for all the teams, I really only see 2 legit possibilities where a Diaw $4 million savings on a contract cutting would come into play that could get the Spurs a higher pick

1. PHX at 13. Tyson Chandler + 13 for Diaw & Mills (and maybe 29). That would save PHX $6 million for 16/17 after cutting Diaw, and another 26.5 million for 17/18 & 18/19. Phoenix has plenty of cap space already, but as a very young team, Chandler is completely unnecessary. He's old, and while maybe PHX could think he'd get them a first rounder in the future from a contender as the money owed to him shrinks, that would run the risk of him getting injured and being stuck with the deal. The also have other picks in the first to fill their team with, #s 4 & 28, plus Bogdonovic might come over from last year's first round. And the future cap room.

For the Spurs they get their pick and a proven vet with legit center size to play behind Duncan if Duncan comes back (no more Boban, bring on Milutinov), with the bonus that Aldridge really wanted to play with him, and the hope that with Duncan, the fewer minutes and wear & tear vs starters for Chandler will preserve his body some. If Duncan retires, Chandler is the starter and Boban comes back.

2. Indiana @ 20. Rodney Stuckey + 20 for Boris Diaw. This isn't huge savings for the Pacers, but they would save $3.5m for 16/17 & $7 million for 17/18 on a 30 year old terrible shooting guard (24% from three in 15/16) who was made completely unnecessary when Bird signed Monta Ellis. I don't know that they would have any particular use for the extra money saved this year, but this is basically just dumping Stuckey's money.

For the Spurs ... I guess it's all to get pick #20. I don't see any use for Stuckey at all.

That's all I can figure out for now. Any other ideas, I'm all ears.

DPG21920
06-13-2016, 08:24 PM
Sorry, should have clarified - I did not mean to imply NO would give SA the pick - I was talking about the type of player (redundant, get rid of guaranteed money for more space, etc..). I used Tyreke as an example of the type of player/situation to target, but you are correct, they would not need to attach their pick to get rid of him nor would it be worth it.

Agree on Tyson Chandler (think that has actually been discussed on here) and INDY although the they probably won't ever trade with SA again :lol

Depending on what MIL is trying to do, I could see Monroe in there as well. That is a lot of money still tied up in him if they want to move on, and while they have a lot of cap space with him, without him they have room for 2 max slots.

objective
06-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Sorry, should have clarified - I did not mean to imply NO would give SA the pick - I was talking about the type of player (redundant, get rid of guaranteed money for more space, etc..). I used Tyreke as an example of the type of player/situation to target, but you are correct, they would not need to attached their pick to get rid of him nor would it be worth it.

No worries.

You're onto the reasons I think Chandler would have to be moved with a pick rather than dumped on a team for nothing. Unlike Evans, Chandler is old, cranky and injury prone. Teams that just want to get to the salary floor don't need an extra two huge years on their books with a player who is danger to quit on a young team, be a cancer, or get hurt.

Evans a team could take on for nothing because despite the injuries, he's young, only a single year left, plus he'd come with Bird rights. He's a fit for every kind of team, young, old, contending, up & coming, rebuilding, etc.

Chandler doesn't fit with very many teams. Teams that think they're contenders might be willing to pay that much, but how many will be willing to part with their caproom and free agent goals to get a breaking down, super expensive Chandler? Maybe I could see Atlanta doing it if Horford leaves. But to take him away from the Spurs, they'd probably have to agree before free agency, and Horford might stay.

OKC has their centers. GSW have their centers. Cleveland have lots of meandering bigs and nothing as extraneous as Diaw and Mills to move. Dallas won't take him back. Houston I can't imagine taking him over Dwight. Toronto has their center. Miami has their center if they keep Whiteside, who is likely to be a better value by far for the money even at the max. Memphis has a center, issues with whether they rebuild, and not in the mood to pay a combined $33+ million for one position the next 3 years. Clippers won't have the room or extraneous pieces to move. Maybe Portland, plenty of room there.

There probably just won't be high demand for a 34 year old center who only played 25 minutes a game averaging 7 & 9 with under a block a game.

The Spurs would have to give up on Durant & Horford and the like to do it, and it's expensive, but I could see it. It would wipe out all the Spurs cap room and maybe only leave enough to sign tiny deals with Bertans or Hanga etc, while bringing back West, Duncan and Manu.

But maybe there's a special player who falls to 13 who would be worth it? If there was another Kawhi-type budding superstar he'd be worth it to me to give up on Durant and Horford fantasies.

palangi
06-13-2016, 09:05 PM
If we are looking to move up lets do it right and get this team surrounding Kawhi and LMA. This means Duncan and Manu need to retire. And a couple others traded off.

Trade Danny Green, Boris Diaw, the rights to Deshaun Thomas, and cash to boston for picks #16, #31, #45. Boston has 8 picks and don't want to use them all. Here they get 2 guys that have played in championsips and a SG that they desperately need. Now they can use the 3rd pick on a big like bender or chriss. They still have 3, 23, 31, 51, 58. We do this to get Wayne Baldwin at 16.

Since we traded to get Baldwin, I believe it is best to get rid of Tony and let this guy take over the PG spot. So we trade tony to Philly for pick 24 and a future 2nd rounder.

I would bring West back too, but only as a PF. Don't play him with other small guys.
Draft:

16- Wayne Baldwin PG Vanderbilt 6'4"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mDMcyVhDps

24- Damian Jones C Vanderbilt 6'11"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmrlJ-sAe1Y

29-Malachi Richardson SG Syracuse 6'6"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7viSWJ6PBTg

31- Patrick Mccaw SG UNLV 6'7"

45- Isaiah Whitehead PG Seton Hall 6'4"

Roster:

PG- Baldwin, Mills, Whitehead
SG- Richardson, Mccaw, Simmons
SF- Leonard, Anderson, Bertans
PF- LMA, West, Lalanne
C- Jones, Boban, Ndoye

palangi
06-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Mccaw highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtWj4Cv9npY

Whitehead highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrgkkWaSr7Y

DPG21920
06-13-2016, 09:27 PM
No worries.

You're onto the reasons I think Chandler would have to be moved with a pick rather than dumped on a team for nothing. Unlike Evans, Chandler is old, cranky and injury prone. Teams that just want to get to the salary floor don't need an extra two huge years on their books with a player who is danger to quit on a young team, be a cancer, or get hurt.

Evans a team could take on for nothing because despite the injuries, he's young, only a single year left, plus he'd come with Bird rights. He's a fit for every kind of team, young, old, contending, up & coming, rebuilding, etc.

Chandler doesn't fit with very many teams. Teams that think they're contenders might be willing to pay that much, but how many will be willing to part with their caproom and free agent goals to get a breaking down, super expensive Chandler? Maybe I could see Atlanta doing it if Horford leaves. But to take him away from the Spurs, they'd probably have to agree before free agency, and Horford might stay.

OKC has their centers. GSW have their centers. Cleveland have lots of meandering bigs and nothing as extraneous as Diaw and Mills to move. Dallas won't take him back. Houston I can't imagine taking him over Dwight. Toronto has their center. Miami has their center if they keep Whiteside, who is likely to be a better value by far for the money even at the max. Memphis has a center, issues with whether they rebuild, and not in the mood to pay a combined $33+ million for one position the next 3 years. Clippers won't have the room or extraneous pieces to move. Maybe Portland, plenty of room there.

There probably just won't be high demand for a 34 year old center who only played 25 minutes a game averaging 7 & 9 with under a block a game.

The Spurs would have to give up on Durant & Horford and the like to do it, and it's expensive, but I could see it. It would wipe out all the Spurs cap room and maybe only leave enough to sign tiny deals with Bertans or Hanga etc, while bringing back West, Duncan and Manu.

But maybe there's a special player who falls to 13 who would be worth it? If there was another Kawhi-type budding superstar he'd be worth it to me to give up on Durant and Horford fantasies.

For sure - it's always a combo of actually liking the player enough you trade for (Tyson) & there being a player you like enough when the pick is there (like Kawhi falling). Both need to be there before you pull the trigger.

I was just exploring out loud the multitude of ways to get where you might want to go. I'm already on record preferring that SA be willing to give up their pick to obtain a guy like Tyreke. That gives you talent upgrade for next year, is very cheap overall and still allows you to hit the reset next year when you will have a ton of cap space. To me, personally, that's what I would prefer.

There are so many variables though that depending on team need, a player may cost a pick to move or be good enough to get a pick in return for solely based on that teams immediate situation. It's crazy.

Spurtacular
06-13-2016, 11:29 PM
I called Kawhi at the time, tbh. I don't know of any hidden Kawhi's at this time. I'm wondering what PATFO is looking at though.

Nathan89
06-13-2016, 11:46 PM
I'd be livid if we brought Tyson Chandler to this team for the next three years. We need to dump Tony and make move from there.

Ditty
06-14-2016, 12:33 AM
Kennedy isn't the best, but I wouldn't completely doubt this is true. I believe the Spurs are really eying local player Taurean Prince. It just makes too much sense imo. Perfect small ball 3/4, and would an ideal energy guy the Spurs will need off the bench at some point. If Green is gone to make room for Durant, Prince is an ideal 3 & D player to have off the bench. Also if they make a few moves it probably wouldn't matter much, if they pay the rookie contract for an american player even going after Durant. I believe the Spurs are really going to commit to Anderson being the backup point guard this upcoming season, and they hope he could be a poor man's Shaun Livingston especially if Manu and Mills are gone.

cd021
06-14-2016, 03:12 AM
Kennedy isn't the best, but I wouldn't completely doubt this is true. I believe the Spurs are really eying local player Taurean Prince. It just makes too much sense imo. Perfect small ball 3/4, and would an ideal energy guy the Spurs will need off the bench at some point. If Green is gone to make room for Durant, Prince is an ideal 3 & D player to have off the bench. Also if they make a few moves it probably wouldn't matter much, if they pay the rookie contract for an american player even going after Durant. I believe the Spurs are really going to commit to Anderson being the backup point guard this upcoming season, and they hope he could be a poor man's Shaun Livingston especially if Manu and Mills are gone.

Mentioned Prince earlier, makes perfect since. I would be willing to trade Mills to Philly to make sure The Clippers didn't snag him. We should consider using the 29th on Petr Corneille/ Stephen Zimmerman

PG-Parker
SG-Green, Manu, Simmons
SF-Leonard, Anderson, Prince. Bertans
PF-LMA, West, Anderson
C Duncan/ Starting C, Boban, Corneille/Zimmerman

the length on that team would be impressive. Prince and Bertans may not play all that much but going forward both could be rotation players

Mal
06-14-2016, 03:26 AM
Taking high pick with high salary ends Durant chase, way before it even starts

Spurs9
06-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Lots of talent in this draft...

Chinook
06-14-2016, 11:38 AM

The Suns aren't moving Chandler using 13. Maybe they'd move him for 28, though. The Spurs would be able to and should try to get a deal where the Suns get Diaw's contract, some third team gets Mills and the Spurs get Chandler, 28 and whatever the team was willing to pay for Mills. The added benefit is that the Spurs would still have an option for cap space after that.

There are so many variables though that depending on team need, a player may cost a pick to move or be good enough to get a pick in return for solely based on that teams immediate situation. It's crazy.

Oh, it's nice to see you remember Kurt Thomas.

I'd be livid if we brought Tyson Chandler to this team for the next three years. We need to dump Tony and make move from there.

Well, that's not likely to happen. But the team may well have room for other things after this.

GSH
06-14-2016, 01:55 PM
I called Kawhi at the time, tbh. I don't know of any hidden Kawhi's at this time. I'm wondering what PATFO is looking at though.

You called Kawhi before it happened? That's a pretty amazing prediction.

Of course, you spent months insisting that Jimmer Fredette was the answer to all the Spurs' problems. If I average those two together, you're still below .500. :p:

Good job on the Kawhi thing, though.

TheGreatYacht
06-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Taking high pick with high salary ends Durant chase, way before it even starts
Not shedding Mills, Diaw, or Green's contracts ends the Durant chase before it even starts

Mal
06-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Not shedding Mills, Diaw, or Green's contracts ends the Durant chase before it even starts

Wait for 1 July, talk to Durant, then start shedding contract`s to make space. Taking 10mil+ in late June won`t bring Durant to table

objective
06-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Isn't Diaw's guarantee date June 30th? If he isn't traded or cut by then, he'll be very hard to move. Teams know what happens when Diaw isn't motivated, which he won't be.

TheGoldStandard
06-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Isn't Diaw's guarantee date June 30th? If he isn't traded or cut by then, he'll be very hard to move. Teams know what happens when Diaw isn't motivated, which he won't be.

He's pounding the foie gras with both hands.

Spurtacular
06-14-2016, 04:55 PM
You called Kawhi before it happened? That's a pretty amazing prediction.

Of course, you spent months insisting that Jimmer Fredette was the answer to all the Spurs' problems. If I average those two together, you're still below .500. :p:

Good job on the Kawhi thing, though.

I don't care if you believe me (though I could probably find posts from another message board if it's that important to you); but as someone who closely followed Jimmer, of course I was very familiar with Kawhi. I contended he was a top three to five player in the draft and considered that he was possibly the best player in the draft. I wondered what 'the experts' thought they knew when he was routinely being left off their top tens. That was my analysis at the time. I wasn't saying he'd win MVP awards or even make all-star games. But within the scope of draft, that's what I had. And I absolutely had him ranked ahead of Kemba. That being the case, I was certainly pleased when the Spurs traded for him.

lefty20
06-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Isn't Diaw's guarantee date June 30th? If he isn't traded or cut by then, he'll be very hard to move. Teams know what happens when Diaw isn't motivated, which he hasn't been since '14.

Tbh.

DesignatedT
06-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Diaw was such a fn monster in 2014. Seriously one of the best playoff performances by a spur. Saying that, it just doesn't look like he's going to regain that level of play anymore for whatever reason.

Snaq O'Meal
06-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Diaw was such a fn monster in 2014. Seriously one of the best playoff performances by a spur. Saying that, it just doesn't look like he's going to regain that level of play anymore for whatever reason.

Diaw may have been useful against the Warriors' small lineup. But he's simply too small, too soft and too overmatched going up against OKC's Porn'stache Towers.

spursince#99
06-14-2016, 09:39 PM
I would move Mills to Philly for the 26th pick and take Tauren Prince. I would use the 29th on Petr Cornellie or Stephen Zimmerman.

Prince is 6'7 1/2 with a 6'11 1/2 wingspan and 36" max vert (better than any player currently on the spurs) 38%3pt shooter, good rebound and very good defender who can defend multiple positions. Draftnet compares him to DeMarrie Carrol

Corneille and Zimmerman are both 7'0 footers with defensive potential and the ability to knock down jumpers. Both are very athletic .

PG-Parker
SG-Green, Manu, Simmons
PF-LMA, West, Anderson
C -Duncan or Starting Big, Boban, Corneille/ Zimmerman

makes more since if Duncan and Manu both return or if the Spurs have a good idea that they will.

Spurs would have a ton of length and size on the perimeter in this scenario. They would need to go out and get a serviceable backup and that could end up hurting next years team but they would have a ton of prospects on cheap contracts heading into 2017 FA.

Anderson, Prince, Zimmerman/Corneille, and Simmons (assuming he is still on the team) would combine to make about $5 million. Spurs could then bring over Milutinov and LJC and use the boat load of cap we may have to fill the other three roster spots.

Eww no.

lefty20
06-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Diaw may have been useful against the Warriors' small lineup. But he's simply too small, too soft and too overmatched going up against OKC's Porn'stache Towers.

Diaw's shot is completely gone. He point blank refused to shoot anything outside the paint, with good reason as he's been terrible at it last 2 seasons. He's even lost his ability to convert in bully ball situations, something that was pretty much automatic in 13 & 14. It's simply time for Diaw to retire, tbh.

tbdog
06-15-2016, 01:26 AM
With Bulls blowing things up, and if we lose out on any big names (likely), why not consider trading a package around Diaw for Gibson. Salary are close.

SD126
06-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Diaw's shot is completely gone. He point blank refused to shoot anything outside the paint, with good reason as he's been terrible at it last 2 seasons. He's even lost his ability to convert in bully ball situations, something that was pretty much automatic in 13 & 14. It's simply time for Diaw to retire, tbh.

Another reason why PATFO was stupid to not send his lard ass packing after '14.

lefty20
06-15-2016, 04:36 AM
Another reason why PATFO was stupid to not send his lard ass packing after '14.

I can kinda see the reasoning for why they didn't. I myself thought that '14 would make him hungry for more success, but it simply made him hungry.

But they'd definitely be fools if they are hoping he is gonna turn it around next season.

Spurs9
06-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Lets get that #3 from boston tbh

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 10:02 AM
I can kinda see the reasoning for why they didn't. I myself thought that '14 would make him hungry for more success, but it simply made him hungry.

But they'd definitely be fools if they are hoping he is gonna turn it around next season.

If they keep him expect Diaw will bring in an easy bake oven right next to his cappuccino machine.

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Baldwin ========= Spurs point guard of the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Noah at center, LMA and Durant at forwards, Leonard and Baldwin at guards!

cd021
06-15-2016, 01:42 PM
With Bulls blowing things up, and if we lose out on any big names (likely), why not consider trading a package around Diaw for Gibson. Salary are close.
Mentioned that trade in another thread. CBS Sports' Zach Harper mentioned that the Bulls may decide to move him. Diaw is about $2 million cheaper, though has an extra year on his deal.

Gibson is a better player at this point. Diaw has fallen off he is a below average mid range shooter, he does shoot around average from 3pt he does not take enough to really be a threat. Would make that deal in a heartbeat

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Mentioned that trade in another thread. CBS Sports' Zach Harper mentioned that the Bulls may decide to move him. Diaw is about $2 million cheaper, though has an extra year on his deal.

Gibson is a better player at this point. Diaw has fallen off he is a below average mid range shooter, he does shoot around average from 3pt he does not take enough to really be a threat. Would make that deal in a heartbeat

Diaws pump fakes are world class though.

cd021
06-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Eww no.

Spurs need an infusion on young talent even if it means taking a step back in the short term. Moving Mills for the potential to draft Prince is a smart move IMO. GSW has loaded up on long wing players that can play and guard multiple positions, Prince can do that. Many of the Spurs recent picks fit that mold of long and tall and or athletic perimeter players (Leonard, LJC, Bertans, Anderson).

Makes more sense if the Spurs know that Duncan and Manu are back for one more year but I would make that move anyway.

TXstbobcat
06-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Lets get that #3 from boston tbh

The only player on the spurs roster that Boston would be willing to trade the third pick in the draft for is Leonard and the spurs would never do that trade.

palangi
06-15-2016, 02:51 PM
The only player on the spurs roster that Boston would be willing to trade the third pick in the draft for is Leonard and the spurs would never do that trade.
They might go for green. He fits what they want and need.

Spurs9
06-15-2016, 03:15 PM
:pop: Number one priority is to stash another euro overseas

TXstbobcat
06-15-2016, 03:16 PM
They might go for green. He fits what they want and need.

Boston mifgt be willing to give one of their other picks for green but I don't think they would give up the 3rd pick in the draft for him.

palangi
06-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Boston mifgt be willing to give one of their other picks for green but I don't think they would give up the 3rd pick in the draft for him.
Yeah I agree. See if they would give up 16.

TXstbobcat
06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah I agree. See if they would give up 16.

Would be nice if the Spurs were able to trade up and get a pic that high and hopefully get a player to help right away instead of the draft and stash of a player that we might see in a Spurs uniform in the year 2020.

cd021
06-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Diaws pump fakes are world class though.

Sure but teams are probably going to realize that he can't actually shoot from outside of the paint and dare him to start making shots. He is still very effective inside of the paint but his role has been as a floor spacer who can occasionally work in the post and serve as a secondary play maker. He has shot better in the playoffs but he been a below average shooter for the past three seasons from mid range. Diaw is still versatile on defense but I would probably choose West over him when taking into account price.

.389 11-22 FT 13-14 22.6 % Of his shots
.379 11-22 FT 14-15 16.3% Of his shots
.332 11-22 FT 15-16 14.9% Of his shots
----------------------------------------------
.366 FG % 17.9 % of FGs

Playoffs
.346 11-22 FT 13-14 16.2% Of his shots
.500 11-22 FT 14-15 22.6% Of his shots
.375 11-22 FT 15-16 17.4% Of his shots
---------------------------------------------------
.407 FG % 18.73% of FGs

DPG21920
06-15-2016, 03:40 PM
I am literally bursting with excitement for the draft. Man, next week can't come soon enough.

cd021
06-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Mentioned the possibility of a Mills for 26th pick earlier. More far fetched would be a Mills + Diaw and the 29th for the 24th and 26th pick. Philly is trying to play like an actual NBA team and adding to actual NBA caliber players would go a long way. They are way below the cap so they could absorb the $11.5 million after July 1st.

Spurs could take a flyer on Thon Maker and should still be able to take Tauren Prince. Spurs save more than $9 million while adding two prospects to the roster. Assuming the cap is $92 million, the Spurs would have $19.2 million to spend (assuming Duncan, and Manu are back, David West is not included in that figure. Spurs could have $25.6 million in cap if Duncan retires.

PG- Parker
SG-Green, Manu, Simmons
PF- LMA, West (Room exception), Anderson
C- Duncan, Boban, Maker

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 04:07 PM
I am literally bursting with excitement for the draft. Man, next week can't come soon enough.

:pop: Think of all the positions and players that make the most sense... Now pick the exact opposite.

r0drig0lac
06-15-2016, 04:14 PM
PG- Parker
SG-Green, Manu, Simmons
C- Duncan, Boban, Maker

basically my ideal scenario, but would add De Colo as pg backup

look_at_g_shred
06-15-2016, 04:29 PM
:pop: Think of all the positions and players that make the most sense... Now pick the exact opposite.
EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 04:33 PM
EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR

:pop: The one year I pick an american player i get criticized. Never happening again.

dabom
06-15-2016, 04:38 PM
:pop: The one year I pick an american player i get criticized. Never happening again.

cd021
06-15-2016, 04:49 PM
basically my ideal scenario, but would add De Colo as pg backup

In that scenario Spurs could have enough for Conley and Parker would be the backup PG or maybe they pursue Horford if Duncan retires.

DPG21920
06-15-2016, 05:17 PM
What's interesting to me with with West already opting out (nothing we can really read from that), Manu has his opt out date of June 22nd.

That is one day before the draft. So Spurs will know what West/Manu are going to do before the draft, but Tim(opt out)/Boris(contract guarantee) are after the draft on 6/29 & 6/30 respectively.

One would think that either way, especially with Tim, that he would do them the courtesy of letting them know (at least privately if not publicly) what he's doing so they can plan for the draft accordingly. Wonder if what Manu does will be a clue as to what Tim is doing?

SAGirl
06-15-2016, 05:24 PM
What's interesting to me with with West already opting out (nothing we can really read from that), Manu has his opt out date of June 22nd.

That is one day before the draft. So Spurs will know what West/Manu are going to do before the draft, but Tim(opt out)/Boris(contract guarantee) are after the draft on 6/29 & 6/30 respectively.

One would think that either way, especially with Tim, that he would do them the courtesy of letting them know (at least privately if not publicly) what he's doing so they can plan for the draft accordingly. Wonder if what Manu does will be a clue as to what Tim is doing?
I think they can draft regardless of what these vets are doing. The draftee is going to be chosen IMO with Leonard and Aldridge in mind not Tim, Manu, or even Diaw. For draft purposes it matters not. They probably have their list of potential players they want looking to a future that doesn't include them anyways. Call it like this, if they decide to return that's just bonus. The draftee is unlikely to coexist or coincide with their careers much or at all anyways.

DPG21920
06-15-2016, 05:26 PM
I think they can draft regardless of what these vets are doing. The draftee is going to be chosen IMO with Leonard and Aldridge in mind not Tim, Manu, or even Diaw. For draft purposes it matters not. They probably have their list of potential players they want looking to a future that doesn't include them anyways. Call it like this, if they decide to return that's just bonus. The draftee is unlikely to coexist or coincide with their careers much or at all anyways.

Well, I was more referring to trades etc..If Tim is staying and they won't have cap space, maybe they keep Boris. If Tim is gone and Manu, they now have definite needs and may look to move Boris during the draft, elect to go the cap space route (which might mean a stash vs player that contributes today)etc..

Snaq O'Meal
06-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Mentioned the possibility of a Mills for 26th pick earlier. More far fetched would be a Mills + Diaw and the 29th for the 24th and 26th pick. Philly is trying to play like an actual NBA team and adding to actual NBA caliber players would go a long way. They are way below the cap so they could absorb the $11.5 million after July 1st.

Spurs could take a flyer on Thon Maker and should still be able to take Tauren Prince. Spurs save more than $9 million while adding two prospects to the roster. Assuming the cap is $92 million, the Spurs would have $19.2 million to spend (assuming Duncan, and Manu are back, David West is not included in that figure. Spurs could have $25.6 million in cap if Duncan retires.

PG- Parker
SG-Green, Manu, Simmons
C- Duncan, Boban, Maker

Getting 2 higher first round picks while jettisoning some weight will be ideal, but I don't think the Spurs will pick a skinny big man with no feel for the game and another wing who can't offer something different from what Kawhi and Danny are already providing, especially when the lack of playmaking to set up LMA and Kawhi remains an urgent need to be addressed.

The Spurs are likely to pick one or two long versatile wings who can play positions 1 to 3 (i.e. Denzel Valentine, Deandre Bembry and Malcolm Brogdon). Quality big men are likely gone when picking in the 20s, unless the Spurs are willing to take a chance on Perdue's "poor man's Tim Duncan."

Vic Petro
06-15-2016, 10:59 PM
The Utah Jazz are said to have the 12th pick on the trade market and may have a trade partner in the San Antonio Spurs if the right players start to fall into that range. When you factor in the friendly nature of the Spurs fraternity and the Jazz’s desire to add veterans, doing a deal with San Antonio becomes interesting – especially if it yields a decent roster player. The Jazz have worked out a few players, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they keep the pick if the Spurs’ wish list does not materialize. The 12 spot is believed to be Gonzaga’s Domantas Sabonis’ floor and could be the ceiling for Vanderbilt’s Wade Baldwin, although the Sacramento Kings just got Baldwin in for a workout so that could change.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2016-nba-mock-draft-consensus-ver-6-0/

TheGreatYacht
06-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Fuck. Utah does need a starting PG and a backup PF since Booker is a free agent.... :depressed

It's probably going to be Parker + Diaw + 29th for the 12th pick. They'll be on the same team as Gobert.

They have 4 point guards that aren't starter material in Exum, Burke, Neto, and Mack so one of them would most likely be in the trade.

Gobert/Withey
Favors/Diaw
Hayward/Lyles/Ingles
Burks/Hood
Parker/Exum/Neto/Burke/Mack

cutewizard
06-16-2016, 12:23 AM
really, really hope we become stronger this offseason.....

if Parker is our weakness, the Spurs management should trade him.....

be strong, bite the bullet, trade Parker, and begin again.....

COURAGE PLS!

palangi
06-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Fuck. Utah does need a starting PG and a backup PF since Booker is a free agent.... :depressed

It's probably going to be Parker + Diaw + 29th for the 12th pick. They'll be on the same team as Gobert.

They have 4 point guards that aren't starter material in Exum, Burke, Neto, and Mack so one of them would most likely be in the trade.

Gobert/Withey
Favors/Diaw
Hayward/Lyles/Ingles
Burks/Hood
Lyles is more of a 4 than a 3. And will get most of his minutes there.

palangi
06-16-2016, 01:18 AM
Give them Tony Parker, Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, and the rights to Deshaun Thomas for the 12th pick, the 42nd pick in the second round, and Alec Burks. They still have the 52nd pick and the last pick in the draft.

Getting Burks makes Danny Green expendable. Trade him to boston for the 16th pick.

Then with 12 and 16 take the vandy teammates Wayne Baldwin PG and Damian Jones C. At 29 take one of the SG sitting there Malachai Richardson of syracuse, Malik Beasley of florida state, or Patrick Mccaw of UNLV. Then at 42 take your back up PG Isaiah Whitehead of seton hall.

Obviously a FA PG will be brought in. Maybe that kid that is playing in Europe, Darius Adams.

PG- Baldwin, Adams, Whitehead
SG- Burks, Draft, Simmons/Hanga
SF- Leonard, Bertans
PF- LMA, Anderson, Lalanne
C- Jones, Boban, Ndoye

NASpurs
06-16-2016, 01:26 AM
How reliable is basketball insiders?

Big Empty
06-16-2016, 03:22 AM
Thon Maker

AFMadison
06-16-2016, 03:45 AM
Give them Tony Parker, Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, and the rights to Deshaun Thomas for the 12th pick, the 42nd pick in the second round, and Alec Burks. They still have the 52nd pick and the last pick in the draft.

Getting Burks makes Danny Green expendable. Trade him to boston for the 16th pick.

Then with 12 and 16 take the vandy teammates Wayne Baldwin PG and Damian Jones C. At 29 take one of the SG sitting there Malachai Richardson of syracuse, Malik Beasley of florida state, or Patrick Mccaw of UNLV. Then at 42 take your back up PG Isaiah Whitehead of seton hall.

Obviously a FA PG will be brought in. Maybe that kid that is playing in Europe, Darius Adams.

SF- Leonard, Bertans
C- Jones, Boban, Ndoye
:td

AFMadison
06-16-2016, 03:46 AM
Thon Maker
Draft and stash, dude needs to put on some muscle

AFMadison
06-16-2016, 03:49 AM
Getting 2 higher first round picks while jettisoning some weight will be ideal, but I don't think the Spurs will pick a skinny big man with no feel for the game and another wing who can't offer something different from what Kawhi and Danny are already providing, especially when the lack of playmaking to set up LMA and Kawhi remains an urgent need to be addressed.

The Spurs are likely to pick one or two long versatile wings who can play positions 1 to 3 (i.e. Denzel Valentine, Deandre Bembry and Malcolm Brogdon). Quality big men are likely gone when picking in the 20s, unless the Spurs are willing to take a chance on Perdue's "poor man's Tim Duncan."
I highly doubt Maker will play C in the NBA, guy needs to put on some muscle and play the 3.

cd021
06-16-2016, 04:54 AM
Draft and stash, dude needs to put on some muscle

Draft and send him to the League to develop properly

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-16-2016, 05:23 AM

Gobert/Withey
Favors/Diaw
Hayward/Lyles/Ingles
Burks/Hood

More likely to be Diaw and 29 for 12. They're not trading TP.

If it was the deal you suggested, I'd try to grab Exum. Kid wasn't a lottery pick for nothing - he's already a solid defender, has length and shown flashes of offensive talent. He could be a really good PG in 2017-18 and would be a perfect fit. It'd be even better if we could find a way to grab him while keeping Tony as a mentor.

And if we don't trade up, have to take Maker at 29 if he's available. Kid will be a killer combo F in about 4 years.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-16-2016, 05:30 AM

SF- Leonard, Bertans
C- Jones, Boban, Ndoye

Don't see this happening. Way too much youth all at once. Much better to drip feed them in.

Also, Burks is nowhere near the defender Danny is. I wouldn't part with him lightly, especially on that great contact.

Admirable creativity on your part though. :)

jermaine
06-16-2016, 05:56 AM
Patty Mills an Tony Parker both are not being traded.... Thats getting rid of 2 players that knows an can run your offense. Thats taking steps back, not forward. Some of you guys post unthinkable stupid shit.

r0drig0lac
06-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Jazz is not trading 12 to Diaw + 29

cd021
06-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Patty Mills an Tony Parker both are not being traded.... Thats getting rid of 2 players that knows an can run your offense. Thats taking steps back, not forward. Some of you guys post unthinkable stupid shit.

Mills is the most likely to get moved in my opinion, his contract is ridiculously cheap he has championship experience and is an excellent shooter at PG. Spurs need youth, moving Mills for an extra pick makes plenty of sense even if it means that they have worse depth at PG for 1 season. Given the Spurs track record at finding talent late in the first and second round, (Joseph, Splitter, Hill, Blair, Parker, Manu,) I would hope that they attempt to acquire a second 1st rounder.

dabom
06-16-2016, 08:32 AM
Mills is not being traded. Fucking dumbasses :lmao

dabom
06-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Your only 3 point shooting PG. Who can space the floor as much as Mills and Green?

Kawhi can too but being the primary ball handler in certain situations, he'll have a harder time shooting 3s in the playoffs. :lol

Patty played OK but he was playing with Dwest, Fathead, Fatdiaw, and Old Manu. His 10 points on 10 shots is already better than those other guys shooting. :lmao

cd021
06-16-2016, 08:35 AM

I think that this is a front court heavy draft, on the back end of the first round at least. I like the idea of Prince because he sounds as though he has all of the tools and skill needed to be a 3 & D player, not only that but he is athletic, big (6'7 1/2), long (6'11 1/2) and can possibly defend multiple positions.

Another component is Kyle Anderson, do the Spurs view him as a SF or PF or a combo? I have heard that they envision him as more of a four, that may not happen very much next season assuming West is back save for smallish ball lineups ( I hope KA can show improvement from 3pt either way) but going forward the Spurs could have a rotation consisting of Green and Leonard on the starting wing and Prince and Anderson at the backup 3 & 4. GSW has a ton of length and size on the perimeter, adding Prince and Bertans could help the Spurs compete in that regard, the Spurs could always use more play making but I doubt that they could find someone who can help this season in this draft anyway. In this scenario the Spurs could carve out $19.2-$25.5 million in cap ($19.2 if Duncan and Manu stay on and the other number if only Duncan retires) Spurs could use that money to address the play making issues that they have.

Maker is the definition of a boom or bust player, if he were to fall to 29 I could see the Spurs taking a shot at him but Zimmerman and Corneille would be more preferable both are athletic bigs that seem to have consistent range outside of the paint. Zimmerman sounds more close to being able to contribute to an NBA team even though he is only 19. Spurs could ease him into a rotation role over the next couple of seasons. Sounds like he is fairly solid all while Corneille could be a two years away from being worthy of a roster spot but seems to have nice potential.

dabom
06-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Patty wasn't playing with talent out there and he didn't wanna take over because Pop was probably telling him to play with the team instead of looking for his. Instead you get Dwest 1/6, Fatdiaw 2/6 shooting. :lmao

cd021
06-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Your only 3 point shooting PG. Who can space the floor as much as Mills and Green?

Kawhi can too but being the primary ball handler in certain situations, he'll have a harder time shooting 3s in the playoffs. :lol

Patty played OK but he was playing with Dwest, Fathead, Fatdiaw, and Old Manu. His 10 points on 10 shots is already better than those other guys shooting. :lmao

No one is saying that Mills sucks, I suggest you look at my trade scenario involving the Sixers. In the trade I suggested it would not only save the Spurs $9.5 million but it would give them the 24th and 26th picks and between $19.2 and $25.5 million in cap space so they could sign another PG such as Conley.

dabom
06-16-2016, 08:46 AM
No one is saying that Mills sucks, I suggest you look at my trade scenario involving the Sixers. In the trade I suggested it would not only save the Spurs $9.5 million but it would give them the 24th and 26th picks and between $19.2 and $25.5 million in cap space so they could sign another PG such as Conley.

Mills has 1 more year on his deal. Why would teams want a 1 year rental?

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 08:48 AM
:pop: After careful consideration of all things we will be standing pat.. Ever heard of Fijefio Darmokaor? Exactly.

Big Empty
06-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Paty mills is young and can get streaky. For his price would be dumb to trade him. we should bring back the same team and find someone young that can play the 4 and 5 that can score and can rebound & play defense decently. Im starting to think that queer noah from the bulls is the most realistic option. Conley is slow and will be 30. Would be a disaster signing him. This team won 67 games man and was a last second shot away from going 7. Just need minor younger upgrades. Kawhi is getting better & better.

palangi
06-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Patty Mills can't run the offense. That is why he had to play with Manu. He needs a ball handler and distributor with him.

palangi
06-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Don't see this happening. Way too much youth all at once. Much better to drip feed them in.

Also, Burks is nowhere near the defender Danny is. I wouldn't part with him lightly, especially on that great contact.

Admirable creativity on your part though. :)
Burks is right on par with Danny defensively. Burke also brings ball handling and ability to finish around the rim. He also is a good distributor.

dabom
06-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Patty doesn't need anyone to go lights out by himself. Maybe have some respectable players on the floor so he isn't the focus of the defense.

dbestpro
06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Mills and Parker are not moving. Parker's big salary becomes less a distraction in the age of mega money. Parker needs lots of rest, so you need to have a quality PG coming off the bench. In fact, once Manu retires, Parker may be the PG coming off the bench. The only thing left is finding that PG of the future. The only quality trade chip is Danny Green. Whoever, they get will need to be able to play some SG too, if Green is moved. Then the question switches to how much greater role could Simmons play, and who would they get to play SG/SF minutes.
Too many, variables. The safe route is to stand pat and take one of the PGs with potential at the end of the round, like Barber or Baldwin.

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 10:53 AM
It better not be Danny Green or I will be pissed. A lottery pick is definitely great value for Green but he's such a great piece for a winning team.

Obviously if SA feels there is a Kawhi situation then I get it but I will be devastated. Depending on the deal if Tim retires & Manu trading Danny would mean significant cap space.

Maybe it's something like lose Tim, lose Manu, trade Danny (and maybe Boris too) bring in 12th pick, 29th pick, Bertans and Horford with the cap space (and maybe someone like Burks from UTA as well).

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Jazz is not trading 12 to Diaw + 29
I agree. That is ridiculous. Tony has to be on the market if Tim and Manu retire. That's the move that would get 12, and they would only do it if a guy they are really high on falls to them. Maybe that guy is not even there at 12.

I know Tony is not getting traded is the common wisdom, but without Tim and Manu they need to make a significant move to upgrade. That's just the reality.

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 11:04 AM
I agree. That is ridiculous. Tony has to be on the market if Tim and Manu retire. That's the move that would get 12, and they would only do it if a guy they are really high on falls to them. Maybe that guy is not even there at 12.

I know Tony is not getting traded is the common wisdom, but without Tim and Manu they need to make a significant move to upgrade. That's just the reality.

I absolutely think Green could net #12 & maybe a player.

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 11:24 AM
It better not be Danny Green or I will be pissed. A lottery pick is definitely great value for Green but he's such a great piece for a winning team.

Obviously if SA feels there is a Kawhi situation then I get it but I will be devastated. Depending on the deal if Tim retires & Manu trading Danny would mean significant cap space.

Maybe it's something like lose Tim, lose Manu, trade Danny (and maybe Boris too) bring in 12th pick, 29th pick, Bertans and Horford with the cap space (and maybe someone like Burks from UTA as well).
Seems as possible as any move. I didn't believe the pursuits for premier agents bc I assumed most of the same team would be back in classic Spurs off-season fashion. Although I believed Tim and Manu should retire and it wouldn't surprise me if they do, I came to believe lately that they were doing one last season.

If they do retire, wow. I think it does open up the whole world of possibilities in terms of trades they are willing to make and just rumors become real possibilities.

A move in the draft would net not only a talented young player to build upon what we already have, but would maybe shed some salary and we could definitely go after FA I didn't think was realistic. If the move is for Durant, Danny is traded. (I still think Durant stays in OKC but that's just personal belief). It really has to be on of Danny and Tony. We had issues with our backcourt scoring. It really depends too on who our trade partner is willing to give up the pick for. I don't think Tony is above the possibility of being traded. That's just Kawhi and Aldridge at this point.

Spurs9
06-16-2016, 11:48 AM
At this point I don't care who they give to move up, just want them to pick up someone with promise. Tons of good talent in this draft, hope they take another risk that pays off.

cd021
06-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Mills has 1 more year on his deal. Why would teams want a 1 year rental?

So players don't get traded all the time with 1 year remaining? Philly is also interested in Jeff Teague, guess what- 1 year remaining. Philly has ditched the "process" and is actually attempting to improve.

Cashing in 1 of their three first rounds for an actual NBA player who is crazy underplayed, can shoot lights out (Mills would be by far the best shooter on the team) and has familiarity with the head coach sounds pretty believable. Philly cannot expect to draft 3 19' year olds on top of Saric (a draft and stash that is probably coming over) Embiid, Noel, and Okafor along with a bunch of former 2nd rounders, D leaguers and borderline NBA players and be competitive.

Bad teams that have multiple/ expendable picks do this all the time; trade a pick for a vet to attempt to improve their team. The Nets trade the 3rd pick in the draft for Gerald Wallace, Memphis moved a lottery pick for Shane Battier, Indiana move the 15th pick for George Hill.

Philly has never been good at getting FAs to play with them and they actually have to start to build an decent team for players to even consider them going forward. Acquiring Mills or Mills, Diaw, and the 29th for the 26th or for the 24th, and 26th pick does not sound that far fetched they get two rotation players from a 67 win team and the 29th pick while they only give up the 24th and or 26th picks.

dabom
06-16-2016, 12:05 PM
I think it would be farfetch that the Spurs trade Patty Mills.

lmbebo
06-16-2016, 12:08 PM

SF- Leonard, Bertans
C- Jones, Boban, Ndoye

Honestly, can you see the Spurs adding 4 rookies via the draft?! Plus Bertans and/or Multinov(sp?). Pop and RC have never really relied on rookies at all. TP and Kwahi were the exceptions and even then, they weren't plugged in in vital roles.

Lets say we get Baldwin, chances are he'd be a backup to start with, or would have a vet PG backup to help tutor him.

elemento
06-16-2016, 12:09 PM
You guys are underrating Green and overrating picks as usual.

Green is easily worth the 12th pick, without SA even including that late 1st.

Remember Chase Budinger ? Look at what Minny gave Houston to get him. (yes the 18th pick in a draft better than this one). He isn't half the player DG is and he was an expiring about to get paid.
Non-star productive players locked in long term contracts have more value than people think, especially a 2-way relatively young one like Green .

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 12:26 PM
I am optimistic about the Spurs moving up in the draft but I don't believe they will move any significant piece. Time and time again the Spurs have had immediate needs and they have decided to go elsewhere in the draft. There are too many glaring needs to overlook the obvious this season but I'm already setting myself up for disappointment should they draft someone that makes ZERO sense.

GSH
06-16-2016, 01:07 PM
I absolutely think Green could net #12 & maybe a player.

About the only thing you can be sure of:
If the Spurs were to trade Danny for #12 and a player, half the forum would scream every time Danny makes a 3 with his new team.

If they don't, the other half will scream every time he misses one for the Spurs.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 01:19 PM
If the Spurs were to trade Danny for #12 and a player, half the forum would scream every time Danny makes a 3 with his new team.

If they don't, the other half will scream every time he misses one for the Spurs.

Especially if someone of quality is there at 12 and if the spurs status quo pick #29 and draft the serbian, french, foreign guy's version of insert some old player.

TheGreatYacht
06-16-2016, 01:20 PM

We won't have to worry about that in the regular season

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 01:25 PM

Unless that team has a PG who can actually break down a defense and penetrate kicking the ball to him for an open shot. Or if the coach will play him more than 25 minutes.

TheGreatYacht
06-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Unless that team has a PG who can actually break down a defense and penetrate kicking the ball to him for an open shot. Or if the coach will play him more than 25 minutes.
Nah. The fucker missed plenty of open shots this year. No need to deflect around that fact.

37.6 FG%, 33.2 3P%, 73.9 FT%, 49.2 TS%

Maybe he would've played better if he had a SF that averaged AT LEAST 3apg... Look what it did for Dick Jefferson

Hoops Czar
06-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Mills doesn't play pg and if Manu wasn't out there holding his hand, he would have been totally useless all season. The only thing he does moderately well is shoot 3-pointers and he couldn't even knockdown open ones when it mattered in the playoffs. He's not even close to being untouchable.

palangi
06-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Honestly, can you see the Spurs adding 4 rookies via the draft?! Plus Bertans and/or Multinov(sp?). Pop and RC have never really relied on rookies at all. TP and Kwahi were the exceptions and even then, they weren't plugged in in vital roles.

Lets say we get Baldwin, chances are he'd be a backup to start with, or would have a vet PG backup to help tutor him.
You are probably right. I though Tony got out on the floor pretty fast though? But you have to add Timmy into that too.

either way I think our roster needs a bit of a shake up. especially if timmy and manu retire.

lmbebo
06-16-2016, 02:51 PM
You are probably right. I though Tony got out on the floor pretty fast though? But you have to add Timmy into that too.

either way I think our roster needs a bit of a shake up. especially if timmy and manu retire.

TP did, but he still had Porter really helping him out and then the Claxton. It took time for TP to really be on his own.

Kwahi came on a bit later than TP, but clearly outplayed RJeff once he did step on to the floor.

Pop likes vets, for good reason.

We do need a shake up. But I don't think a lot of it is going to come through the draft.

tholdren
06-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Get over it. He's making 10 million. He should be making a difference.

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Get over it. He's making 10 million. He should be making a difference.

He is making a difference. He's undoubtedly a positive.

tholdren
06-16-2016, 05:50 PM
He was about as good as patty mills in the playoffs, and arguably one of the worst on the team in the regular season.

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 06:09 PM
That is so wildly incorrect I don't even know where to begin honestly.

tholdren
06-16-2016, 07:01 PM
That is so wildly incorrect I don't even know where to begin honestly.
start with advanced stats this year

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 07:03 PM
That doesn't make sense

tholdren
06-16-2016, 07:09 PM
That doesn't make sense
well greens advanced stats, take PER, for the regular season was a 10.5. his ts% was 49%. His ws/48 was .099. all of those are shitty. In fact just as shitty as martin and one time spur mccallum. That can be argued as the worst on the team.

Playoffs PER patty and danny were separated by .1 WS/48 by .05. They were similarly effective, danny slightly better.

cd021
06-16-2016, 07:21 PM

You do know that he shot 43% on 5.5 3's in 14-15 that is about ten percent above league average. He actually holds the Spurs single season record for 3's

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 07:26 PM
well greens advanced stats, take PER, for the regular season was a 10.5. his ts% was 49%. His ws/48 was .099. all of those are shitty. In fact just as shitty as martin and one time spur mccallum. That can be argued as the worst on the team.

Playoffs PER patty and danny were separated by .1 WS/48 by .05. They were similarly effective, danny slightly better.

Sigh.

cd021
06-16-2016, 07:32 PM
start with advanced stats this year

Green had a down year this season but his value to the Spurs has been overwhelming positive

he has net rtg of +8 in his six seasons with the Spurs and a +10 in the playoffs the year the Spurs won the title his net rtg was +17:wow and his .172 win shares per 48 was way above average.

not to mention that he his career 3pt % with the Spurs is a insane 40.5% 3pt and 44%3pt in the playoffs

Green is clearly worth more than $10 million but took a smaller deal to stay with the Spurs, he will only be making 9% of the cap next season:lol his agent must be pissed. If he were an FA this year he could easily get a 4 Years $60 Million deal.

cd021
06-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Mills doesn't play pg and if Manu wasn't out there holding his hand, he would have been totally useless all season. The only thing he does moderately well is shoot 3-pointers and he couldn't even knockdown open ones when it mattered in the playoffs. He's not even close to being untouchable.

True Mills is clearly an SG on offense. He still shot the ball well but he seems to miss a bunch of open threes. Without Manu he could not carry the bench but that is not an indictment on him, Manu is just that good. Manu probably would have won 6th man had he not gotten injured. At one point he was averaging 9 ppg in 18 minutes at 39 :wow.

I have been saying this but Dabom seems to think that he is Kawhi Leonard, he is valuable and on a dirt cheap deal. The Spurs could use him to acquire another pick or package him with Diaw and or the 29th to move up in the draft or get an impactful player in return.

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Sigh.
Waste of time DPG.:reading

dabom
06-16-2016, 07:48 PM
You talking to hoops like he knows basketball. Dude was so bad he had to stop posting ing so people would forget about him. Lol. Mills is a PG. End of story there.

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 07:49 PM
True Mills is clearly an SG on offense. He still shot the ball well but he seems to miss a bunch of open threes. Without Manu he could not carry the bench but that is not an indictment on him, Manu is just that good. Manu probably would have won 6th man had he not gotten injured. At one point he was averaging 9 ppg in 18 minutes at 39 :wow.

I have been saying this but Dabom seems to think that he is Kawhi Leonard, he is valuable and on a dirt cheap deal. The Spurs could use him to acquire another pick or package him with Diaw and or the 29th to move up in the draft or get an impactful player in return.
Agreed. I think PATFO will not let him go lightly. He stated after the 2014 championship that as long as he was the coach he'd always have Patty, so long as they could afford him bc of his team spirit and his energy. There are things behind the court, the famous character etc that make Pop attached to guys and I think Patty has reached that level. Patty went to that famous conference to convince Lamarcus to join us. True, Patty was a former Portland teammate, there was a reason, but he has achieved a certain status.

However, almost no one is above a trade, as the famous George Hill trade showed us. But it really must be for a player that PATFO believes we need going forward.

TD 21
06-17-2016, 05:43 PM
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2016-nba-mock-draft-consensus-ver-6-0/

I don't buy this for a second, but to play devils advocate, I'd imagine Baldwin would be the target, with Afflalo and Lee being targeted as the Green replacement.

Green for 12 wouldn't make sense for either team though. For the Spurs, there's no projected future starting guard in that range. For the Jazz, their need is point guard, not wing.

palangi
06-17-2016, 11:49 PM
I don't buy this for a second, but to play devils advocate, I'd imagine Baldwin would be the target, with Afflalo and Lee being targeted as the Green replacement.

Green for 12 wouldn't make sense for either team though. For the Spurs, there's no projected future starting guard in that range. For the Jazz, their need is point guard, not wing.
Unless they threw Alec Burks into the deal. He would replace Green. We might have to put #29 into the deal also. But if we believe baldwin to be a future star at the PG then it would be worth it.
At that point bring Adam Hanga in to back up with Simmons.

T Park
06-18-2016, 01:50 PM
I just dont see any players worth trading up for in this draft.

Of course I had never heard of Kawhi Leonard before the 2011 draft either so whatever.

dbestpro
06-18-2016, 01:58 PM
You talking to hoops like he knows basketball. Dude was so bad he had to stop posting ing so people would forget about him. Lol. Mills is a PG. End of story there.

Mills is a PG on defense, but can play the role of SG on offense when paired with a big PG. Valentine fits that scenario.

DPG21920
06-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Has anyone ever been to the draft? I'm considering buying tickets to this one...

Trill Clinton
06-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Has anyone ever been to the draft? I'm considering buying tickets to this one...

Nah but I'd love to. You should go.

DPG21920
06-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Nah but I'd love to. You should go.

It's something I have always wanted to do and never have, but Im fighting taking vacation from work (which I shouldn't - haven't had any vacation yet this year).

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 05:37 PM
It's something I have always wanted to do and never have, but I fighting taking vacation from work (which I shouldn't - haven't had any vacation yet this year).

Do it!!

SD126
06-18-2016, 05:50 PM

^^^facts that the Mills blowhards are delusional to see. Should have made his shot bricking ass walk after '14.

SpursforSix
06-18-2016, 06:32 PM
It's something I have always wanted to do and never have, but Im fighting taking vacation from work (which I shouldn't - haven't had any vacation yet this year).

If you go, you need to periodically stand up and yell, "They were selling your shit!".

tbdog
06-18-2016, 06:56 PM
^^^facts that the Mills blowhards are delusional to see. Should have made his shot bricking ass walk after '14.

He is on bugger all money and deserved more from the 14 performance. So l'll move him to open up a key signing, but I don't want to spend double the amount on a backup pg, like Joseph.

DPG21920
06-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Just bought my ticket. Very excited!

AFMadison
06-19-2016, 02:56 AM
Sweet post some pics

duncan2150
06-19-2016, 04:44 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/585033373/NBAdraft_normal.bmpNBADraft.net @nbadraftnet (https://twitter.com/nbadraftnet)

Hearing the Spurs are actively trying to move up in draft.
6h

(https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=744361947554975745)

(http://www.nbadraft.net/#)

Vic Petro
06-19-2016, 05:18 AM

I was at the Iverson/Kobe draft at the Meadowlands. The Spurs had no picks because of the Dennis Rodman and Charles Fuckface Smith trades.

If they trade Danny Green I hope the camera finds to document your turmoil :lol

Uriel
06-19-2016, 09:41 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/585033373/NBAdraft_normal.bmpNBADraft.net @nbadraftnet (https://twitter.com/nbadraftnet)

Hearing the Spurs are actively trying to move up in draft.
6h

(https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=744361947554975745)

(http://www.nbadraft.net/#)

Wow, that makes two different news outlets now reporting the same thing. I don't remember the Spurs being rumored to move up this much since the year we traded George Hill for Kawhi Leonard.

I wonder who RC is targeting.

tmtcsc
06-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Wow, that makes two different news outlets now reporting the same thing. I don't remember the Spurs being rumored to move up this much since the year we traded George Hill for Kawhi Leonard.

Exactly....except we didn't hear anything about the Spurs looking to move up in that draft.

DPG21920
06-19-2016, 10:21 AM
I was at the Iverson/Kobe draft at the Meadowlands. The Spurs had no picks because of the Dennis Rodman and Charles Fuckface Smith trades.

If they trade Danny Green I hope the camera finds to document your turmoil :lol

I will go full New York Knicks fan :lol I will rain down boo's from the heavens.

I hope when the Spurs pick that they show me and I will do the thing where I point to my hat and mouth "I like that pick - good pick" so it seems like I know what I'm doing.

Also, even though SA didn't have a pick, how was your experience at the draft you went to?

K...
06-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Exactly....except we didn't hear anything about the Spurs looking to move up in that draft.

I think he difference is that with kawhi it was him or bust. We had a specific target. Now, it's just about getting up to the board. Guys Like mills and Diaw aren't exactly dead weight, but it would be really bad management if this team didn't try to exploit the draft to get as many holes fixed at low salary points.

The spurs probably have several targets.

Maddog
06-19-2016, 10:33 AM

My impression is that it's the same source repeated.
Given the lack of tradable assets I doubt much comes of this..

loveforthegame
06-19-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm sure the Spurs are turning over every rock. I just don't trust it when it's being reported what they're doing. Unless it's Woj, Stein, or Aldridge maybe.

cd021
06-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Trade Idea

Another variation of a trade I suggested earlier. Takes into account the rumored trade of Noel for Teague.

Atlanta Gets
Nerlens Noel
Boris Diaw

Philadelphia Gets
Jeff Teague
Patty Mills
29th Pick

Spurs Get
24th Pick
26th Pick

Philly drastically improves their back court.
Atlanta gets two rotation big men to help offset Horford leaving. Both Noel and Diaw are cost controlled for 16-17 and 17-18.
Spurs shed $10.5 million off the books, move up in the draft and add an extra pick in the twenties. (Should they draft and sign the picks that would only cost a total of $2.1 million)

Vic Petro
06-19-2016, 01:03 PM
I will go full New York Knicks fan :lol I will rain down boo's from the heavens.

I hope when the Spurs pick that they show me and I will do the thing where I point to my hat and mouth "I like that pick - good pick" so it seems like I know what I'm doing.

Also, even though SA didn't have a pick, how was your experience at the draft you went to?

In fairness it's hard to compare. I was 16 and it was 20 years ago (!) :depressed

Though it was still a big deal even back then, I think it's become an even bigger spectacle now and the NBA has done a better job of making it an event. Just the fact that it's in Barclays vs the old Brendan Byrne Arena already means it'll be more fun.

That said, I had a good time. It helped that 96 was a terrific draft. I remember sitting by a group of Nets fans who wanted nothing to do with Kobe and exploded in celebration when Kittles was announced :lol. Also Knicks fans thinking they struck gold with John Wallace and Walter McCarty.

Commercial breaks feel long and obviously not like a game where there's constant action to focus on. Though again I think the NBA has gotten much better at this. The interviews feel somehow more awkward when you hear them in person, which is great.

If you're going solo I would bring an iPad or something just to fill any gaps, but it's also really easy to get into basketball conversations with other fans. A lot of basketball junkies around.

DPG21920
06-19-2016, 01:13 PM
That's what I am hoping ^. I don't mind downtime and have no problem talking to people so hoping for some fun conversations with other teams' fans.

I will have my iPhone to keep up with trades, etc..

CGD
06-19-2016, 01:15 PM
I bet the asking price is high. No team wants to deal with RC after the Pacer fleecing.

DPG21920
06-19-2016, 01:24 PM
I bet the asking price is high. No team wants to deal with RC after the Pacer fleecing.

No one wants to get fleeced, however SA has a lot of relationships all over the league which can lead to serious conversations (that's the positive side of so many people coming from SA's tree).

K...
06-19-2016, 01:28 PM

I think the league is more sophisticated in their thinking. Kawhi was a luck of the draw combined with superior player development. Not all teams can turn a KL into an all star.

That trade was pretty close to fair on draft day. I don't think it really screwed the spurs and i don't think indy has blacklisted us.

CGD
06-19-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm being facetious, but I do wonder if you are an opposing GM and you get a call from
RC whether it makes you anxious/reevaluate your scouting.

Anyway, aside from Green and a trade swap I wonder what assets the Spurs are shopping. I doubt any of the stashed players have much value other than maybe securing a marginal move within the late 20s.

I ultimately dont think TP gets moves, but with the free agent PG market being what it is I wonder if there's a chance to be opportunistic.

SPURt
06-19-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm being facetious, but I do wonder if you are an opposing GM and you get a call from
RC whether it makes you anxious/reevaluate your scouting.

Anyway, aside from Green and a trade swap I wonder what assets the Spurs are shopping. I doubt any of the stashed players have much value other than maybe securing a marginal move within the late 20s.

I ultimately dont think TP gets moves, but with the free agent PG market being what it is I wonder if there's a chance to be opportunistic.
I pretty sure when RC calls about a pick he doesn't divulge the target player. I think he says I'll give you Boris for 26, in this hypothetical situation. I wouldn't think he'd say if player X is available when you get on the clock let's do the deal. I think pick 26 is on the clock and RC calls back saying they'd like to do the deal.

AFMadison
06-19-2016, 02:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0T2-X3oY_0

Apparently on ESPN Insider, Chad Ford thinks the Spurs should go after Chinanu Onuaku. Who do you all think the Spurs take. The Spurs do need to a defensive big.

I also wouldn't mind them going after a Parker replacement. Could be Patrick McCaw. Guy is 6'7". Could be a huge pg. Or even Demetrius Jackson, good all around pg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukiUcTiNOrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCitIh3VuoM

CGD
06-19-2016, 04:35 PM
I pretty sure when RC calls about a pick he doesn't divulge the target player. I think he says I'll give you Boris for 26, in this hypothetical situation. I wouldn't think he'd say if player X is available when you get on the clock let's do the deal. I think pick 26 is on the clock and RC calls back saying they'd like to do the deal.

Of course he wouldn't. What I'm saying is that teams have targets on their board in their projected ranges and if RC is calling about your pick it might get in your head about your process, etc.

TD 21
06-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Unless they threw Alec Burks into the deal. He would replace Green. We might have to put #29 into the deal also. But if we believe baldwin to be a future star at the PG then it would be worth it.
At that point bring Adam Hanga in to back up with Simmons.

Burks has had multiple significant injuries in the past year and a half and has 3 years and over $30M remaining on his contract. He probably has to reprove himself before teams would have interest.

Thinking about this some more, it might be true. This is similar to '11, in that it's going to take a bold move to attempt to vault themselves back into contention.

If the Bucks don't select Baldwin, I could see a three team trade, with Teague to the Jazz, the 12th pick to the Spurs and Green and Burke to the Hawks.

Here would be the rationale on the Spurs' part:

- Baldwin would be the much needed young, talented, athletic guard, that projects to contribute some immediately, could play alongside any guard and be a long term fixture

- Getting a guard at 12 alleviates the need to do so at 29, making it easier to draft a big and between the two, it would go a ways to restocking the cup board

- They could sign Afflalo or Lee to replace Green. Sure, they're inferior defenders, but they're similar enough players

- It's unlikely they'd have to add significant salary in these two moves, freeing up the majority of the cap space for a starting center

coachmac87
06-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Of course he wouldn't. What I'm saying is that teams have targets on their board in their projected ranges and if RC is calling about your pick it might get in your head about your process, etc.

No....

It all depends what the Spurs are offering in exchange of the pick. It's not like the Spurs are batting .1000

Nathan89
06-19-2016, 05:49 PM
TD21 made a good case for trading Green imo. The only thing I don't like is going after a center. I'm not a fan of any the available centers.

objective
06-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Where would Green play for Utah? He's arguably not better than Hood. Why give up 12 for a bench player?

Robz4000
06-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Where would Green play for Utah? He's arguably not better than Hood. Why give up 12 for a bench player?

Green would go to the Hawks in that scenario, not the Jazz.

CGD
06-19-2016, 06:41 PM
No....

It all depends what the Spurs are offering in exchange of the pick. It's not like the Spurs are batting .1000

Did well the last time they executed a trade to move up...

With respect to the others, if youre expecting all stars with late 20 picks then of course you're going to think the Spurs have a poor track record. In context I think they've done quite well.

Keepin' it real
06-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Chinanu Onuaku ...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/93/2d/6f/932d6f8043c14410368c80b609e28b5b.jpg

SPURt
06-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Ah, I totally think that's right! It must be weird to hear the actual selection. I would hate to have my job decided by 20 year olds getting obscene money after not having much before the NBA.

SpursforSix
06-19-2016, 07:42 PM

Fall your knees, look to the heavens and bawl, "it shoulda been Parker".

Ditty
06-19-2016, 08:28 PM
I think the Spurs would have a lot more hard time giving up Green than they did when they traded George Hill. Green was pretty much our third best player in the post season, unlike Hill who was pretty bad in the Memphis series in 2011.

Spurs are in win now like back in 2011 when they traded for Kawhi, and I trust in the Spurs that whichever player they get he will help us win now, and in the future no matter who is gone.

Do your magic R.C. if you pull the trigger!

AFMadison
06-19-2016, 08:31 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/93/2d/6f/932d6f8043c14410368c80b609e28b5b.jpg
Lol people probably said the same thing about Manu

Spurs9
06-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Trade Idea

Another variation of a trade I suggested earlier. Takes into account the rumored trade of Noel for Teague.

Atlanta Gets
Nerlens Noel
Boris Diaw

Philadelphia Gets
Jeff Teague
Patty Mills
29th Pick

Spurs Get
24th Pick
26th Pick

Philly drastically improves their back court.
Atlanta gets two rotation big men to help offset Horford leaving. Both Noel and Diaw are cost controlled for 16-17 and 17-18.
Spurs shed $10.5 million off the books, move up in the draft and add an extra pick in the twenties. (Should they draft and sign the picks that would only cost a total of $2.1 million)

I like it:lobt:

duncan2150
06-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Alex Kennedy: I’ve heard the same: (http://hoopshype.com/social/) twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA… RT @Aran Smith Hearing the Spurs are actively trying to move up in draft.
– via Twitter AlexKennedyNBA (http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA)

Jody Genessy: I’ve heard multiple teams have contacted the Jazz about their No. 12 pick. Wonder if the Spurs are one of them. (http://hoopshype.com/social/) twitter.com/nbadraftnet/st…
– via Twitter DJJazzyJody (http://twitter.com/DJJazzyJody)

spurtech09
06-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Finally the rigged 2016 Finals is over...On to the Draft

TheCerebral1
06-20-2016, 08:35 AM
At this point the Spurs do need to revitalize the depth a little bit. Outside of LMA and Kawai, I believe for the first time in nearly two decades we can see some change of the guard at PG, C, and throughout. Mills, Green, Diaw, etc may find themselves in new area codes. Parker is declining fast, better to bail before we get stuck with a bloated contract. *Note: I love Tony, but the big three isn't the big three without Gino and Duncan.

james evans
06-20-2016, 08:59 AM
exactly hahaha. We fucked Indiana over and no team is gonna give us anything on draft day

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2016, 09:02 AM
exactly hahaha. We fucked Indiana over and no team is gonna give us anything on draft day
what people don't get is Rc isn't saying we'll trade you Green for player x...the question is we'll trade you Green for pick 12.

james evans
06-20-2016, 09:30 AM
what people don't get is Rc isn't saying we'll trade you Green for player x...the question is we'll trade you Green for pick 12.
That wouldn['t be wise because the guys u have your eye on could be drafted by another team. Unless you have your eye on 3 guys and they are still available around the 8th pick. Then you pull the trigger during the draft.

Chinook
06-20-2016, 09:34 AM

Actually, it's for the player. You can't trade for picks on draft night.

DPG21920
06-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Yup - Spurs tell them the player and the other team actually makes the pick. That's why they announce the trades after the pick is made and approved.

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Sure but they're not telling them which player they want unless that player is still available when it's their time to pick.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2016, 09:59 AM
4 days away from the Spurs drafting nobody we've ever heard of.

DPG21920
06-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Sure but they're not telling them which player they want unless that player is still available when it's their time to pick.

Yes, that is likely true.

Chinook
06-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Yes, but that team can totally agree to trade the pick and then refuse to trade whomever the Spurs want. That happened in 2010.

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Yes, but that team can totally agree to trade the pick and then refuse to trade whomever the Spurs want. That happened in 2010.
Gotcha! Who was the team and player?

TheCerebral1
06-20-2016, 10:13 AM

I'm not so sure. For the first time in nearly two decades they are starting to transition away from having a near all NBA type C and an allstar caliber PG. They need and see the chance to trade up in a draft that is weak at the bottom and sense that they need a pure upgrade. My dream get would be Murray from Kentucky, and while we don't have the chips to cash in on that type of a leap in the draft, if he falls to say to the 10th pick in some sort of free fall, he's got the chance to be in the league for 10-15 years with his talent.

Chinook
06-20-2016, 10:13 AM
Gotcha! Who was the team and player?

Pacers and Paul George, I'm pretty sure.

Chinook
06-20-2016, 10:14 AM

I swear, between Drom John and me, we made SOOOO many threads in the TT about prospects. If it ends up being none of them :bang

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2016, 10:14 AM
:pop: he was the best euro available at the time. You didn't think I was going to draft a player who can contribute now did you?

TrainOfThought5
06-20-2016, 10:20 AM
:pop: he was the best euro available at the time. You didn't think I was going to draft a player who can contribute now did you?

This is EXACTLY whats going to happen.

NASpurs
06-20-2016, 10:31 AM

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2016, 10:34 AM

LOL. If he's there and the Spurs take him.. Midgets to bolster the needs at PG

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2016, 10:35 AM
I swear, between Drom John (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11750) and me, we made SOOOO many threads in the TT about prospects. If it ends up being none of them :bang

It would be funny if it wasn't so damn true all the time.

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2016, 10:36 AM
LOL. If he's there and the Spurs take him.. Midgets to bolster the needs at PG
smokscreen..theyre really looking at taking jkdaliogi jkadjio;jads

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2016, 10:39 AM
smokscreen..theyre really looking at taking jkdaliogi jkadjio;jads

He's a 6'5 Center but his wing span is 9 feet long.. He can't jump though.

NASpurs
06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
I don't know shit about college bball, so is Ulis more of a Nate Robinson midget, Isaiah Thomas (Celtics) or a poor man's CP3 style of player?

NASpurs
06-20-2016, 10:54 AM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2637898-2016-nba-draft-prospects-breaking-down-future-of-kentuckys-tyler-ulis

Best comparison: Muggsy Bogues :lol Nothing against Muggsy but ugh.