PDA

View Full Version : NBA: 94 NYK vs Rockets was more entertaining than today's NBA finals

lefty
06-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Tbh :lol

Spurs9
06-10-2016, 10:43 PM
:lol Todays NBA

midnightpulp
06-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Lefty is right. We got a Cleveland team playing and not one epic choke or meltdown. 3 blowouts and a pseudo-blowout.

baseline bum
06-10-2016, 10:50 PM
No one watched the 94 Finals, that was OJ time.

littleavery1948
06-10-2016, 11:10 PM
:lol Todays NBA

Guys are more athletic, and have better schemes (defensively, the illegal defense rule limited what you could scheme) nowadays, but outside of the Warriors, guys are much weaker mentally and the overall basketball IQ is about 20 points lower. The guys in the 90's in today's NBA would be emphasizing the three-point shot more (Larry Bird never practiced threes), along with having access to the technology and knowledge or "analytics" that we use today. If one uses basic math, one would know that shooting three-point shots are more profitable than shooting long twos. A middle school kid could figure out that shooting 40 percent from the three means shooting 60 percent from the two. There are no "analytics" needed. The way the game is officiated, wherein it greatly favors perimeter players, common sense dictates that shooting a ton of threes is the way to go. Big guys driving (like Lebron) and bigs down low get pounded on with impunity. The Warriors are merely using common sense; shoot a ton of threes, and foul the driver every time, because the refs won't call it.

Thread
06-10-2016, 11:15 PM

I watched it. I was on pins & needles,,,needles & pins. Those were dangerous days for me.

If not for Olajuwon I wouldn't even be here this evening.

baseline bum
06-10-2016, 11:19 PM
I watched it. I was on pins & needles,,,needles & pins. Those were dangerous days for me.

If not for Olajuwon I wouldn't even be here this evening.

Your Suns could have out-choked Ewing. Death, taxes, and Suns failure.

Capt Bringdown
06-10-2016, 11:21 PM
What a joke.
The '94 finals went 7 games and featured the likes of Ewing and Hakeem, not to mention HOF coach Pat Riley vs the Human Punching Bag, Rudy T.
There was more talent, skill and drama in the 94 finals warmup drills than anything we're seeing in today's finals.

There's a rather simple-minded notion that the league's talent and skill is an arrow on a chart that continually goes up.
Nope. There are lulls and valleys, and we're currently living thru one of the low points in NBA history.
But the 94 finals is a poor reference point.
Fuck, the '94 finals were awesome just because of the chance to see Hakeem at his peak.
There's no one even close to his talent/ability level on the court in today's finals.

davethedope
06-11-2016, 12:14 AM
What a joke.
The '94 finals went 7 games and featured the likes of Ewing and Hakeem, not to mention HOF coach Pat Riley vs the Human Punching Bag, Rudy T.
There was more talent, skill and drama in the 94 finals warmup drills than anything we're seeing in today's finals.

There's a rather simple-minded notion that the league's talent and skill is an arrow on a chart that continually goes up.
Nope. There are lulls and valleys, and we're currently living thru one of the low points in NBA history.
But the 94 finals is a poor reference point.
Fuck, the '94 finals were awesome just because of the chance to see Hakeem at his peak.
There's no one even close to his talent/ability level on the court in today's finals.

Just let OP think whatever. That was the final word on Olajuwon and Ewing... 7 game series, nuff said, John Starks etc.

daslicer
06-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Guys are more athletic, and have better schemes (defensively, the illegal defense rule limited what you could scheme) nowadays, but outside of the Warriors, guys are much weaker mentally and the overall basketball IQ is about 20 points lower. The guys in the 90's in today's NBA would be emphasizing the three-point shot more (Larry Bird never practiced threes), along with having access to the technology and knowledge or "analytics" that we use today. If one uses basic math, one would know that shooting three-point shots are more profitable than shooting long twos. A middle school kid could figure out that shooting 40 percent from the three means shooting 60 percent from the two. There are no "analytics" needed. The way the game is officiated, wherein it greatly favors perimeter players, common sense dictates that shooting a ton of threes is the way to go. Big guys driving (like Lebron) and bigs down low get pounded on with impunity. The Warriors are merely using common sense; shoot a ton of threes, and foul the driver every time, because the refs won't call it.

Pretty much it's the era of the 3 but it works for the Warriors mainly because they have 2 GOAT shooters in Curry and Thompson plus several other guys who can hit the 3 at an above average rate. Very few teams can successfully emulate that type of roster.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2016, 12:25 AM
94 series, derek harper was very good, if he had started his career/prime on a contender instead of burying himself on that shitty mavs teams from the 90s...wasted potential

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2016, 12:27 AM
Pretty much it's the era of the 3 but it works for the Warriors mainly because they have 2 GOAT shooters in Curry and Thompson plus several other guys who can hit the 3 at an above average rate. Very few teams can successfully emulate that type of roster.

that phoenix suns with ainge and marje were automatic from downtown, but they arent first options or allowed to chuck

same can be said about the malone/stockton jazz, they had stock and hornecek 2 very efficient shooters, but they are not first open or allowed to chuck...

daslicer
06-11-2016, 12:34 AM
that phoenix suns with ainge and marje were automatic from downtown, but they arent first options or allowed to chuck

same can be said about the malone/stockton jazz, they had stock and hornecek 2 very efficient shooters, but they are not first open or allowed to chuck...

I feel Curry and Klay are just on another level when it comes to shooting then Ainge/Majerle and Hornacek/Stockton. Your right about them not being allowed to chuck but Curry has the ability to hit shots while they are contested and off the dribble. Those guys didn't have that ability. Also those teams were not loaded witch a bunch of 3 point shooters like the Warriors are.

siraulo23
06-11-2016, 12:38 AM
At least both teams actually played hard for the first time this series :lol

Stalin
06-11-2016, 06:00 AM
:lol Today's NBA.

Thread
06-11-2016, 08:33 AM
At least both teams actually played hard for the first time this series :lol

James & Lue backed away from the table.

lefty
06-11-2016, 06:32 PM
:lol Today's NBA.

Caltex2
06-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Tbh :lol

And other than the obvious, that was an awful NBA Finals.

Splits
06-11-2016, 08:16 PM
94 Knicks would demolish the twink brothers.

Molotov
06-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Very true.

StrengthAndHonor
06-11-2016, 11:37 PM
No, lol...

lefty
06-11-2016, 11:53 PM

Duh

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2016, 11:59 PM

I have a sick and twisted mind....my enjoyment of the Finals comes from watching NBA TV re-runs of the games....I watch them and root with passion for the team that lost the game knowing what the outcome will be....like now I'm rooting for the Dubs during live action but rooting for the Cavs during the re-runs..I'm a total moron...but its so much fun :lol

Caltex2
06-12-2016, 12:18 AM
I can't do that, I root against the Lakers every time they play, even against teams I can barely stand like the Spurs or teams that had more than their share of titles like the Celtics.