PDA

View Full Version : Boston stepping up its efforts to court Kevin Durant. What can San Antonio offer?

dabom
06-11-2016, 09:02 AM
http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/boston-stepping-up-its-efforts-to-court-kevin-durant-what-can-san-antonio-offer

Such a badass article. :lol

dabom
06-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Dat bad Paint skills. :lol

cutewizard
06-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Pop, the winning culture, the professional sports organizational culture, good teammates?

what else?

coachmac87
06-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Build him a roller coaster at Fiesta Texas.."The Durantula"

TheGoldStandard
06-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Promise to show him the basement at the Alamo

GSH
06-11-2016, 10:21 AM
The only way he leaves OKC is if he's looking for a Championship above all else. Playing in the East gives you a much easier ride to the Conference Finals. But you still have to win the Finals against the Western Conference champ, who survived all the other beasts in the West.

Boston could commit to over-spending to bring another premier player or two (big market), but that's all what-if. And it would likely take them a couple of seasons to put it all together. Kawhi, LMA, and Durant would be one hell of a core. Danny for 3&D support. Unquestionably the best organization in the league for the last 20 years or so. Boston can't offer that.

If Durant fools us and goes to a weaker Eastern Conference team, you'll know that he wasn't laser-focused on winning a title in the immediate future. And that means he probably wouldn't have done it here, either. Either way, free crab legs aren't going to make the difference.

And don't bother arguing that Boston is really a great team. They have decent performers, but not the kind of talent that is going to win a Championship. KD would be a good addition, but they would still need some other pieces, and there's never any guarantee that a team can land those pieces. KD, LMA, and Kawhi is a core that you could build a Championship around. I still don't think he's ultimately going to come to SA. But he knows the game well enough to recognize what he would be a part of.

TXstbobcat
06-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Free taco cabana for the life of his contract with the Spurs!!!!!

TheGoldStandard
06-11-2016, 10:35 AM
The only way he leaves OKC is if he's looking for a Championship above all else. Playing in the East gives you a much easier ride to the Conference Finals. But you still have to win the Finals against the Western Conference champ, who survived all the other beasts in the West.

Boston could commit to over-spending to bring another premier player or two (big market), but that's all what-if. And it would likely take them a couple of seasons to put it all together. Kawhi, LMA, and Durant would be one hell of a core. Danny for 3&D support. Unquestionably the best organization in the league for the last 20 years or so. Boston can't offer that.

If Durant fools us and goes to a weaker Eastern Conference team, you'll know that he wasn't laser-focused on winning a title in the immediate future. And that means he probably wouldn't have done it here, either. Either way, free crab legs aren't going to make the difference.

And don't bother arguing that Boston is really a great team. They have decent performers, but not the kind of talent that is going to win a Championship. KD would be a good addition, but they would still need some other pieces, and there's never any guarantee that a team can land those pieces. KD, LMA, and Kawhi is a core that you could build a Championship around. I still don't think he's ultimately going to come to SA. But he knows the game well enough to recognize what he would be a part of.

The only qualm is having to suffer through a season of no bench support whatsoever and then hope that you can find pieces off the bench the following year when the cap rises that will compliment the players and the team design. Having 3 legit players that can take over a game is awesome but its the playoffs where you win games in the trenches with who your supporting cast is that will be a concern.

hooperflash
06-11-2016, 10:49 AM
I initially read "Boban stepping up his efforts to court Kevin Durant." :lol

06-11-2016, 11:38 AM
There is zero chance he comes to SA.

ducks
06-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Sa cheerleaders

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2016, 12:50 PM
The fat land whales won't sit on him

T Park
06-11-2016, 01:28 PM

False

Strategic
06-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Bun 'n' barrel for life.

SAGirl
06-11-2016, 01:46 PM
The only qualm is having to suffer through a season of no bench support whatsoever and then hope that you can find pieces off the bench the following year when the cap rises that will compliment the players and the team design. Having 3 legit players that can take over a game is awesome but its the playoffs where you win games in the trenches with who your supporting cast is that will be a concern.
Ppl ignore that bc it suits their argument, then some blast ideas that seek support from cheap young players bc they want to build a dream team apparently. In a public forum ppl will make all the ridiculous scenarios they want like putting all these athletes next to Kawhi without making a case for which athletes bc they don't have to. Not a knock on GSH, he has a sensible point, just in general you make a good point. A team with no depth is actually a small injury away from falling hard in the standings to begin with. It can be argued too that until the PG position is fixed we aren't really serious about winning.

I think Durant to the East is a good idea for him. To begin with he has to get to the finals to have a shot. In the West that's uphill and will remain a coin toss away. He could take his chances going east. I am sure Boston can get him partners. They have a lot of assets to trade.

Still Durant to the Spurs is a pipedream. Ppl will be disappointed.

Sean Cagney
06-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Boston would not be bad fit honestly and all those picks they have as well, they are on the up and up. I am not saying I don't want him in SA and it's not a good fit but Boston would make sense too.

dabom
06-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Boston makes zero sense guys. Really nothing there to win anything at all.

palangi
06-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Boston makes zero sense guys. Really nothing there to win anything at all.

Well it is the Eastern Conference. They have that going for them

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Boston isn't doing shit with those picks so far tbh..

Marcus Smart :lol (#6)
Kelly Olynik :lol (#13)
James Young :lol (#17)
RJ Hunter :lol (#28)

Spurs have a brighter future, and it ain't close

palangi
06-11-2016, 02:01 PM
you left Isaiah Thomas off your list. they also have a ton of draft picks this year. They could tell him that he is a big part in the direction they go with those picks.

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2016, 02:05 PM
you left Isaiah Thomas off your list. they also have a ton of draft picks this year. They could tell him that he is a big part in the direction they go with those picks.
I left him off my list? Was he a draft pick of theirs?

If he wants to play with a ball dominant PG, he would stay in OKC. He has a better cast around him there than Amir fucking Johnson and Evan Turner :lol

Mister Sinister
06-11-2016, 02:05 PM
I initially read "Boban stepping up his efforts to court Kevin Durant." :lol

:lol I'd pay to see an unnecessary ESPN special on that, ngl.

palangi
06-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I left him off my list? Was he a draft pick of theirs?

If he wants to play with a ball dominant PG, he would stay in OKC. He has a better cast around him there than Amir fucking Johnson and Evan Turner :lol
No doubt. I am not arguing the supporting cast. But Durrant could be the architect of that new team. Bring in someone with him. Apart of those 8 draft picks. And like I said in the Easy East

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2016, 02:27 PM
No doubt. I am not arguing the supporting cast. But Durrant could be the architect of that new team. Bring in someone with him. Apart of those 8 draft picks. And like I said in the Easy East
Even though he's in the east, still don't think he gets past Lebron with that Boston roster IMO.

He could be dumb and go there, but I still think he's either staying in OKC or coming to SA. Marc Stein agrees with me as well

palangi
06-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Even though he's in the east, still don't think he gets past Lebron with that Boston roster IMO.

He could be dumb and go there, but I still think he's either staying in OKC or coming to SA. Marc Stein agrees with me as well
I hope you are right...in that he comes to SA

Tully365
06-11-2016, 02:41 PM
The Celts have three point guards, all on reasonable contracts, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ainge packaged one of them with a draft pick in a deal to get another helpful role player. They also have enough cap room to sign two major free agents, so I'd say they're in a good position to change radically, just as they were the summer they added KG and Ray Allen to Pierce. I would trade Isaiah Thomas... he's fun to watch, but when was the last time a team with a high usage 5'9" PG won a championship?

Spurtacular
06-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Yea, I bet Durant wants to join that chucker instead of Westchucker.

gambit1990
06-11-2016, 02:58 PM
those pictures are embarrassing... and they have the nerve to watermark that shit :lmao

ducks
06-11-2016, 03:27 PM
I think Boston should use picks for Blake

spurtech09
06-11-2016, 04:13 PM
The only thing SA can offer is that fact he is from Texas...

K...
06-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Kawhi mf that's the sell. The ultimate beta

exstatic
06-11-2016, 04:38 PM
The only thing SA can offer is that fact he is from Texas...

He's from DC. He went one year to UT b

exstatic
06-11-2016, 04:40 PM
The Spurs have two All NBA players and the cap room to get it done. Only GS can say that other than us.

baseline bum
06-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Boston with Durant, Horford, Thomas, Bradley, Smart, and either the #3 pick or whatever they could get for it could be a pretty nasty team, especially considering how much Stevens has gotten out of the current roster. I think they'd be much better than Cleveland with a declining LeBron. The Warriors once again look pretty mortal after the playoffs started, so I don't think Durant would be playing for second place in Boston. I imagine he's going to look long and hard at the prospect of joining the Celtics, and the media will love him for making that franchise relevant again.

baseline bum
06-11-2016, 05:08 PM
The Spurs have two All NBA players and the cap room to get it done. Only GS can say that other than us.

Do you think the Spurs would salary dump Green though with no idea whether Durant would come? It's one thing to dump Splitter when he couldn't stay healthy and his contract was becoming a big liability, but the Green contract is a bargain that the Spurs could never afford to lose if Durant says no. I can't imagine Pop will let the Spurs salary dump Parker. And I also can't imagine they won't reward West with a decent contract after the paycut he took. Durant on the Spurs looks like such a long shot to me.

Kawhitstorm
06-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Boston isn't doing shit with those picks so far tbh..

Marcus Smart :lol (#6)

Smart had Klay in a fetal position last time they faced each other & didn't allow GayMond to punk him.

He also shutdown Paul Millsap after he murder every frontline player on the Celtics.:lol

Has no time for "today's NBA" shenanigans:

Marcus Smart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Porker

Kawhitstorm
06-11-2016, 06:01 PM
And I also can't imagine they won't reward West with a decent contract after the paycut he took.

PATFO were penny pinching when washed-up Admrial was a free-agent, how do you expect them to "reward" D-Worst after Pop said they will be looking to add "athleticism":lol (The Spurs don't have his Bird Rights so they can't even give him a "decent" pay raise if everyone else returns & PATFO use the MLE/Room Exception to address the lack of "athleticism")

PATFO are going to let D-Worst make the decision for 'em, if he opts-out then he's gone.:toast

spurtech09
06-11-2016, 06:10 PM
He's from DC. He went one year to UT bMy bad I thought he was from Texas.....Thanks for the info....

Chris
06-11-2016, 06:22 PM
those pictures are embarrassing... and they have the nerve to watermark that shit :lmao

Equally as embarrassing is the actual article. It looks like it was converted from some other language to English. Doesn't anyone proofread their shit anymore?

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2016, 06:39 PM
No state income tax, tbh..

Seventyniner
06-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Do you think the Spurs would salary dump Green though with no idea whether Durant would come? It's one thing to dump Splitter when he couldn't stay healthy and his contract was becoming a big liability, but the Green contract is a bargain that the Spurs could never afford to lose if Durant says no. I can't imagine Pop will let the Spurs salary dump Parker. And I also can't imagine they won't reward West with a decent contract after the paycut he took. Durant on the Spurs looks like such a long shot to me.

This is why the moratorium is important, and why the shorter one (only 6 days now instead of 10 or 11) can make things harder. The Spurs could come to terms with Durant early on and then have time to find a taker for Green (or Parker) before Durant signs at 12:01am on July 7. Durant will know that he'll need to make his decision quickly so that the team he signs with has time to talk to other FAs to fill out their roster before the 7th.

K...
06-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Aside from being a part of the most winning franchise in the past 20 years with a championship pedigree, San Antonio its own unique features. v

Sic

Does anyone remember op.sending in a similar type article last year....some obscure writer? Like Taylor ennis.

That article was written by a retard and on mobile it served me a full page ad.

That site tries to catfish people looking for channel 4 NBC station.

K...
06-11-2016, 07:23 PM
HOw can we contact nbc to get them to take down this site and spay and nueter dabom?

Ice009
06-11-2016, 08:15 PM

I don't understand the point of taking this path. I keep telling people that I have no sympathy AT ALL for Lebron James losing in the finals all the time because it was his choice to take the easy road by always staying out East. It's like taking a short cut, and as most people know, short cuts don't always work out. It's kind of like he's trying to cheat his way there.

I don't see the point of putting your body through that extra grind when you're always likely to lose to the team that comes out of the West. When choosing a team to play for (if you really want to win the Championship), you should pick a team that you think has a very realistic chance to win it, not that team that has the easiest path to get there. That's his problem and he needs to learn to deal with it. I better not hear him cry out it during the press conference about how he can't take it anymore if he loses another finals. He needs to stop being a bitch. Stop trying to take the easy road to get there.

SpursforSix
06-11-2016, 08:40 PM
No state income tax, tbh..

That won't have a thing to do with his decision.

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Tell Kevin I said hi, since you know him.

SpursforSix
06-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Tell Kevin I said hi, since you know him.

Done.

K...
06-11-2016, 10:53 PM
No one got a virus from the article? I'm considering a class action lawsuit towards op do refer your claims to me

SAGirl
06-11-2016, 10:54 PM
Agreed. Specially about Green. He's still valuable and dumping him with no guarantees that we will get Durant will be a step back. Ideally the guy to trade is Tony and they won't do it. Ppl will be disappointed here.
I don't w ant them to reup West though, specially if they retain Diaw and Boban, that means D west is starting and Tim retiring and I would rather they start a real C instead of D west and no more Diaw/West combos if they start Boban. Ughhhh

Dverde
06-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Sign and trade with Blake Griffen makes great sense.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2016, 03:32 AM

People have used that one for years as far as what will lure guys, yet hardly anyone seems to sign in SA but that is the lure :lol

They make enough money to pay 10 lifetimes in taxes folks, probably even more.

szkorhetz
06-12-2016, 04:03 AM
http://s33.postimg.org/hhn7czedr/FB_IMG_1465380533154.jpg

dabom
06-12-2016, 04:10 AM
:lmao

szkorhetz
06-12-2016, 04:47 AM
:lmao
Actually, LeBron would make a whole lot sense, TBH.
Both are pipe dreams though

dabom
06-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Actually, LeBron would make a whole lot sense, TBH.
Both are pipe dreams though

I was laughing at the pic not the possibility. I would love Kenton on the spurs.

Chillen
06-12-2016, 06:10 AM
LeBron and Leonard would destroy teams. Pipe dream but it's a nice thought.

sprrs
06-12-2016, 06:30 AM
I really don't think the reason he turns SA down will be because of how thin our bench would be if we actually landed him. Superteams tend to be magnets for suitable vets looking to ring on the cheap. Look at the Boston and Miami teams of a few years ago for example.

GSH
06-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Boston with Durant, Horford, Thomas, Bradley, Smart, and either the #3 pick or whatever they could get for it could be a pretty nasty team, especially considering how much Stevens has gotten out of the current roster. I think they'd be much better than Cleveland with a declining LeBron. The Warriors once again look pretty mortal after the playoffs started, so I don't think Durant would be playing for second place in Boston. I imagine he's going to look long and hard at the prospect of joining the Celtics, and the media will love him for making that franchise relevant again.

You threw Horford into the equation. That's pretty much what I was saying. If Boston wants to entice Durant with a favorable shot at a Championship, they need another upper-tier piece. They have a lot of good supporting players, but Thomas and Durant aren't enough to make them favorites to get to the Finals. Boston could promise Durant that they would bring that other player in, and they have the budget to back it up. But that's not the same as having all the pieces in place. They will basically be offering Durant a promissory note.

I'm a big believer in Isiah Thomas (a lot of people here dismiss him), and Stevens is a damn good coach who got the Celtics playing defense this year. But if Durant is really seeking a ring, you can't compare that to Kawhi, LMA, and Pop. If his goal is to "make the franchise relevant again", and bask in the media attention, then Boston is a good fit for him. But that's not the same as being laser-focused on getting his first LOB. And like I said before, if that's not his absolute priority, he probably wouldn't have brought one here anyway.

SpursforSix
06-12-2016, 01:38 PM
People have used that one for years as far as what will lure guys, yet hardly anyone seems to sign in SA but that is the lure :lol

They make enough money to pay 10 lifetimes in taxes folks, probably even more.

I think maybe to some players it might make a difference if they don't have a real preference for one city or team. But the majority of these guys are going to pick the team that works best for them and their goals. If they're not a major contributor, maybe the city they'll enjoy the most. The impact of the tax situation is marginal.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2016, 01:51 PM
I think maybe to some players it might make a difference if they don't have a real preference for one city or team. But the majority of these guys are going to pick the team that works best for them and their goals. If they're not a major contributor, maybe the city they'll enjoy the most. The impact of the tax situation is marginal.

Some pick the sexy choice too so to speak with the bigger city like you said, night life etc. I think that matters to some more than state tax or it appears. I agree with what you said no doubt.

Spur|n|Austin
06-12-2016, 05:43 PM

Zero chance? No.

GSH
06-12-2016, 05:46 PM

Zero chance? No.

Yeah. Pretty sure there was zero chance LMA would come to SA.

cutewizard
06-12-2016, 09:18 PM
............there is always a chance.....

hope springs eternal

sananspursfan21
06-12-2016, 09:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Nefarioso/361836/pwtour6.jpg
Promise to show him the basement at the Alamo

Chillen
06-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Why do Spurs fans feel there is a zero chance he signs with the Spurs? Spurs have 5 NBA titles, HOF coach and players, almost 2 decades of successful regular seasons (making playoffs). The winning culture is there and the Spurs just won 67 games without Durant. I'd say there is a chance for sure.

szkorhetz
06-13-2016, 01:47 AM
Why do Spurs fans feel there is a zero chance he signs with the Spurs? Spurs have 5 NBA titles, HOF coach and players, almost 2 decades of successful regular seasons (making playoffs). The winning culture is there and the Spurs just won 67 games without Durant. I'd say there is a chance for sure.
Outcoached by a rookie coach...

Chillen
06-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Outcoached by a rookie coach...

That's on Pop, we all know he is a HOF coach and understands how to win but it does seem like he has phoned it in for the last 2 playoffs. Spurs have the better coach.