PDA

View Full Version : Documentary - Room 237

SpursforSix
06-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Pretty interesting. Has about 5 or 6 people that think Kubrik directed the Shining with different intentions other than making a horror film.

All of them have watched the movie several times and some even frame by frame just to look for the hidden meanings.

One lady has taken the time to draw and computerize the layout of the hotel and points out the inconsistencies.
Another guy thinks the movie is about the white man's suppression of the Native Americans.

Of course one of them believes that Kurbrik filmed the fake moon landing and then shot the Shining as a way of letting everyone know it was faked.

Not saying that the theories are true or false but it was interesting to see how far these people got in to it.

One guy said it was all about sex and as proof he presented the following scene which "clearly" shows the hotel manager lined up with the tray to suggest an erection.

All that being said, I do believe Kubrik did hide some Easter eggs in the movie for whatever reason.

Thread
06-14-2016, 09:56 AM
They've been showing it on the cable the last couple weeks so I've been sampling it again. Very watchable. The conversations between the characters, especially the periphery characters are enjoyable, the initial interview at the resort, the relationship between Burton & Crothers. I like the early scene where the doctor comes to the apartment. As Wendy is telling the tale of how the kids arm got broke the look on the doctor's face is just incredible. Not a word is spoken by her, just that look.

SpursforSix
06-14-2016, 10:02 AM
They've been showing it on the cable the last couple weeks so I've been sampling it again. Very watchable. The conversations between the characters, especially the periphery characters are enjoyable, the initial interview at the resort, the relationship between Burton & Crothers. I like the early scene where the doctor comes to the apartment. As Wendy is telling the tale of how the kids arm got broke the look on the doctor's face is just incredible. Not a word is spoken by her, just that look.

It's got it's fair share of creepy. The thing that stuck with me when I first saw it were the quick scenes with the twins. That's what kept me up. And even to this day, if I'm checking in to a hotel late at night and walking down a quiet long hallway to my room, I'll speed up just a little to minimize my time in that space.

Thread
06-14-2016, 11:14 AM
It's got it's fair share of creepy. The thing that stuck with me when I first saw it were the quick scenes with the twins. That's what kept me up. And even to this day, if I'm checking in to a hotel late at night and walking down a quiet long hallway to my room, I'll speed up just a little to minimize my time in that space.

It's a good set up. Kubrick takes his time, he's never in a hurry.

SpursforSix
06-14-2016, 11:45 AM
It's a good set up. Kubrick takes his time, he's never in a hurry.

Is Dr. Strangelove worrh watching? Or overblown. I only ever see the scene with the guy on the bomb. Of course I don't have the context but it makes me not want to see the movie.

Thread
06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Is Dr. Strangelove worrh watching? Or overblown. I only ever see the scene with the guy on the bomb. Of course I don't have the context but it makes me not want to see the movie.

I've never tried it. Not my cup of tea. I've only enjoyed a few of Kubrick's films.

Early on he did "Paths of Glory" which I resisted for some damn reason. Finally sat and watched it a year ago and it's terrific. Tight, taunt, it moves a rapid pace which serves it well.

I think his "The Killing" was the best for my taste. Very violent, and has the cuck bent heavily to it. He uses repeated scenes to great affect. I like it a lot.

Then his modern films I've grown to like: "Eyes Wide Shut." It's aged well. And I'll view "The Shining."

leemajors
06-14-2016, 12:40 PM

it's hilarious. Worth it just for Sellers (in multiple roles) and George C Scott.

SpursforSix
06-14-2016, 12:47 PM
I've never tried it. Not my cup of tea. I've only enjoyed a few of Kubrick's films.

Early on he did "Paths of Glory" which I resisted for some damn reason. Finally sat and watched it a year ago and it's terrific. Tight, taunt, it moves a rapid pace which serves it well.

I think his "The Killing" was the best for my taste. Very violent, and has the cuck bent heavily to it. He uses repeated scenes to great affect. I like it a lot.

Then his modern films I've grown to like: "Eyes Wide Shut." It's aged well. And I'll view "The Shining."

Full Metal Jacket. It's the superior of those 80's/90's Vietnam movies.

SpursforSix
06-14-2016, 12:47 PM
it's hilarious. Worth it just for Sellers (in multiple roles) and George C Scott.

Didn't know Sellers was in it. Love him. Will probably give it shot.

Thread
06-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Full Metal Jacket. It's the superior of those 80's/90's Vietnam movies.

I didn't care for it. It's insufferable.

I cringe every time they're in that court yard scene and he moves the camera straight down the line one at-a-time so they each have their own wisecrack.

SpursforSix
06-14-2016, 04:54 PM

I cringe every time they're in that court yard scene and he moves the camera straight down the line one at-a-time so they each have their own wisecrack.

I'll give you that one. Never really thought about tbh. I'll give him a pass on that one as a product of the times.

leemajors
06-14-2016, 08:39 PM
I'll give you that one. Never really thought about tbh. I'll give him a pass on that one as a product of the times.

I think it was also kind of his point in doing it.

UZER
06-14-2016, 09:11 PM

I think there's a great version of that shot used in a few good men, when they're reading the verdicts and your getting the kaffe Galloway Weinberg reactions down the line.

Thebesteva
06-15-2016, 01:48 AM
Pretty interesting. Has about 5 or 6 people that think Kubrik directed the Shining with different intentions other than making a horror film.

All of them have watched the movie several times and some even frame by frame just to look for the hidden meanings.

One lady has taken the time to draw and computerize the layout of the hotel and points out the inconsistencies.
Another guy thinks the movie is about the white man's suppression of the Native Americans.

Of course one of them believes that Kurbrik filmed the fake moon landing and then shot the Shining as a way of letting everyone know it was faked.

Not saying that the theories are true or false but it was interesting to see how far these people got in to it.

One guy said it was all about sex and as proof he presented the following scene which "clearly" shows the hotel manager lined up with the tray to suggest an erection.

All that being said, I do believe Kubrik did hide some Easter eggs in the movie for whatever reason.

Im a huge huge fan of the movie the shining..its so weird to say this but imho its not really that great of a film. It's just fucking eerie..its like the film is out of place and uncomfortable to watch. There's nothing like it, in fact I believe the guys in room 237 mention the same in how weird the film is.

Im not sure what the real theory is, I laughed at the moon landing stuff but Kubrick was definitely, 110% leaving his mark in film history with that one.