PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Still think these GSW could take the Bulls, Lakers of past?

lebomb
06-14-2016, 09:54 AM
:lmao

............... It would be a rather chilly day in Hell. The 2014 Spurs would already be home celebrating another championship against these Warriors :rolleyes

K...
06-14-2016, 10:01 AM
They lost two games in the finals with the league's best player not at 100% and missing their defensive centerpiece, losing their best center during the game?

Are you sure you want to do this?

lebomb
06-14-2016, 10:02 AM
They lost two games in the finals with the league's best player not at 100% and missing their defensive centerpiece, losing their best center during the game?

Are you sure you want to do this?

Without a doubt. Lets do it.

Clipper Nation
06-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Tbh, Adam Silver would make David Stern sweat, but I don't think he'd pull out the victory.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-14-2016, 10:11 AM
I think there were a couple of Kobe/Shaq teams and a couple of Showtime Laker teams that could have taken these Warriors, especially if we're playing by the rules of those teams' eras. Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper....yeah, I'd take my chances betting on that group.

spurs10
06-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Warriors haven't looked invincible in either of their Finals. I don't think I'd bet the house on them against any of those teams including the Spurs.

JamStone
06-14-2016, 10:32 AM
I think they'd run the showtime Lakers off the court.

The late 90s threepeat Bulls is a tougher call. But I still say it's a toss-up. Like LeBron, Jordan would easily be the best player on the court and could win games by himself. However, the quality of depth Golden State has is a nice counter to that. Those Bulls teams didn't have anywhere near the type of depth Golden State has for them to do well if Jordan doesn't have his A game. However, Toni Kukoc might be an interesting match-up in the series.

ducks
06-14-2016, 10:33 AM
hand checking would make curry miss and Thomas and they would have to adjust or get slaughted

K...
06-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Twenty years from now the nba is going to be 5 robot chuckers shooting 3pt shots from the half court line at 99.9999% and people will still be popping off saying "today's nba"

lefty
06-14-2016, 10:45 AM
:lmao Warriors
:lmao today's NBA
:lmao soft 3 point shooting
:lmao fake tough players
:lmao would get RAPED in the 80s-90s

The Gemini Method
06-14-2016, 11:17 AM
These mythical matchups are always great fodder for discussion.

With the way players these days train and the different advancements of health, and whatnot, it would be interesting to see. Also niggas like Isaiah Thomas was probably banging 16 year olds back in the 80's. There wasn't any 24/7 scrutinty like there is now. With every silt-brained individual being able to yam on and on about this or that with Twitter/Facebook/Spurstalk, it would've definitely crackes some eggs quick like. As a Laker fan, I would think the 2001 Shaq/Kobe team would be a tough out for the Warriors. Showtime? That would be the most intriguing of the matchups. All those 3 pointers being hoisted. The future question is how the 76ers and the Bucks will fare against these supposed 73-9 Warriors in 2030.

Thread
06-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Warriors haven't looked invincible in either of their Finals. I don't think I'd bet the house on them against any of those teams including the Spurs.

You'd a put them to the test. If Green & The Pile showed I'd still be in the RR.

Russo21
06-14-2016, 11:39 AM
GSW 3PT Shooting
Game 1: 9-27
Game 2: 15-33
Game 3 9-33
Game 4: 17-36
Game 5: 14-42 out of a total of 88 shots

Has an NBA Finals team ever shot this many 3s? They are crazy numbers.

The Gemini Method
06-14-2016, 11:41 AM
GSW 3PT Shooting
Game 1: 9-27
Game 2: 15-33
Game 3 9-33
Game 4: 17-36
Game 5: 14-42 out of a total of 88 shots

Has an NBA Finals team ever shot this many 3s? They are crazy numbers. Those are crazy numbers.

Russo21
06-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Yep! Mind boggling :wow !

lebomb
06-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Live by the 3, die by the 3.

whitemamba
06-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Todays NBA, no more true centers, or PF's, no more back to the basket post game, just crossovers and 3's.

UZER
06-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Todays NBA, no more true centers, or PF's, no more back to the basket post game, just crossovers and 3's.

Yup, it's ruined the game.

To the OP, I would still take them over the Bulls, but I wouldn't take them over the '01 Lakers.

ambchang
06-14-2016, 02:04 PM
They can probably overcome the Shaq Lakers with today's rules. Like I said, Shaq and Fisher will be exposed in every single pick and roll. Neither team can stop the other, but GSW shoot 3s, Shaq Lakers shoot 2s.

As for the Jordan Bulls, they can probably wax the floor with GSW. They match up way too well. Jordan and Pippen will lock up Curry and Thomson, Grant or Rodman will drive Green crazy within the first 2 minutes of every game.

The 80s Lakers and Celtics are unknown, those teams shoot way too many mid range jumpers, and they have a tendency to leave players in the perimeter opened and don't really guard any one 20 feet out, which plays in the hands of the Warriors.

jeebus
06-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Warriors would struggle to win a couple games against the shitty '03 Nets.

BeeGee
06-14-2016, 07:24 PM
There's no fuckin way this team would hang with the Bulls. Steph Curry can't even play anywhere near his regular season numbers as it is. Imagine Scottie Pippen or MJ harassing the living shit outta him and Klay. Now imagine he, nor Klay, nor Draymond being able to do a gotdam thing to stop MJ from controlling the offensive end and Pippen, Kerr and co. from hitting timely wide open shots. Now Imagine Rodman having Draymond Green ready to be tossed from that bitch by the end of the 1st quarter every night. Now imagine Bogut with 4 fouls before halftime and Iggy not nearly as effective, well frankly because he isn't Gary Payton and MJ would roast his ass like a Kroger rotisserie chicken. C'mon man, it's a fuckin joke.

Warriors fans won't even admit that Kyrie has been the better PG in this series, but:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2vj3gqx.jpg

So please shut the fuck up.

JoeTait75
06-14-2016, 09:35 PM
The Warriors would not beat the 2001 Lakers, IMO. If they could barely beat OKC I don't think they'd fare too well against Shaq, Kobe and all of those Lake Show's size, physicality and shooting. Shaq would absolutely demolish Golden State's frontcourt and it would all go from there, imo.

Actually, the Warriors match up better against the 1996-98 Bulls than the '01 Lake Show, imo.

Fabbs
06-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Mo Malone fo fo fo Sixers
1980-86 Celts

Would make Warriors hind end very very sore.

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Warriors would fall to the Rockets of Olajuwon, imo

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 08:09 AM
I think they'd run the showtime Lakers off the court.

The late 90s threepeat Bulls is a tougher call. But I still say it's a toss-up. Like LeBron, Jordan would easily be the best player on the court and could win games by himself. However, the quality of depth Golden State has is a nice counter to that. Those Bulls teams didn't have anywhere near the type of depth Golden State has for them to do well if Jordan doesn't have his A game. However, Toni Kukoc might be an interesting match-up in the series.

disagree. especially if hand checking and physical played was allowed. these cavs are roughing up the State on pindowns. Give any of the truly great teams chances to do that and they not only don not get ran off the court ..some would keep it close and saome like Showtime may win.
Outside Iggy and maybe barnes it's not like state is full of swift modern athletes "to run the laKers off the court".and Iggy and Barbosa are bothe past their physical peak.
Speights, Bogut Curry and Klay are not greater natural athletes than Copp/Scott/Worthy They have better skill in ball handling and are better shooters ...

I think out of this year's playoffs OKC and Cleveland are the tougher matchups for the Showtime Lakers tbh ..State is the better team but those tteams present more problems those Lakers would have no answer for ...
State, is truly great but I just dont see them running showtime off the court. I dont think they run the Pistons or the Celts off the court either.

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 08:13 AM
Another thing to keep i n mind is missed 3's lead to fast breaks ...
And state is not a great rebounding team and Celts and Lakers of the 80's were devastating transition teams. And much better than state in the half-court too.

Amb I think the showtime Lakers teams would adjust they did defend hot players out to the 3 point line when they garnered that type of respect watch them defend Bird and Isiah in the mid 80's ... they did not stop either but they did defend them .. LOL

JamStone
06-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Outside of Coop, the Lakers didn't defend. What good is allowing hand checking when the defenders don't hand check. Golden State is similarly well adept to play an uptempo transition game and because the Showtime Lakers played in an era that did not stretch their defenses out to hotly contest three point shooting, Warriors would get a lot of open three point looks. Golden State also has the depth and versatility to match-up against the Lakers. Love or hate Draymond, he's a great defensive match-up for either Magic or Worthy. 6'8 match-up nightmare Magic Johnson? Warriors have 4 or 5 guys that match up well defensively on him in Draymond, Iguodala, Livingston, Thompson. It's not like Magic was 6'8 with LeBron type athleticism and quickness. Kareem? Warriors have 24 fouls with Bogut, Ezeli, Varejao, Speights.

Showtime Lakers didn't play enough defense or the type of defense to effectively guard this Warriors team. Warriors would get a ton of open three pointers. They'd run in transition just as well as the Lakers. They'd run them off the court.

The Showtime Lakers were great for their time in great part because of the appeal of their style of play. And it doesn't mean they weren't great teams. They don't match up well against the Warriors.

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Outside of Coop, the Lakers didn't defend. What good is allowing hand checking when the defenders don't hand check. Golden State is similarly well adept to play an uptempo transition game and because the Showtime Lakers played in an era that did not stretch their defenses out to hotly contest three point shooting, Warriors would get a lot of open three point looks. Golden State also has the depth and versatility to match-up against the Lakers. Love or hate Draymond, he's a great defensive match-up for either Magic or Worthy. 6'8 match-up nightmare Magic Johnson? Warriors have 4 or 5 guys that match up well defensively on him in Draymond, Iguodala, Livingston, Thompson. It's not like Magic was 6'8 with LeBron type athleticism and quickness. Kareem? Warriors have 24 fouls with Bogut, Ezeli, Varejao, Speights.

Showtime Lakers didn't play enough defense or the type of defense to effectively guard this Warriors team. Warriors would get a ton of open three pointers. They'd run in transition just as well as the Lakers. They'd run them off the court.

The Showtime Lakers were great for their time in great part because of the appeal of their style of play. And it doesn't mean they weren't great teams. They don't match up well against the Warriors.

To say none of them played defense outside of Coop is false. Jam, i dont remember how old you are but to say those Lakers never played defense is not true. not a defensive first team by any means but to say they played no defense is untrue. I am not even arguing that State would not win ...I am just disagreeing on the run off the court part ...

lebomb
06-15-2016, 08:41 AM

I'm watching these playoff just like everyone else, and this GSW team doesn't look anywhere near invincible like a lot of y'all are claiming they are. I think there are a few former championship teams that can beat the 15/16 GSW in a 7 game series. Unless, you are somehow seeing something different than I am. :claw

Bottom line, if GSW arent shooting lights out from the 3, a lot of former teams can beat them. GSW have not been lighting it up like mad in the playoffs either. They have had a game or two lights out, the rest have been OK at best. So that brings the 3 vs 2 point shot issue back to even in my book. :claw

Ghazi
06-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Golden State is 15-7 in the playoffs with 3 losses by 24+ points.

This has not been a great playoff run for a historic team.

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Jam is also missing the point that Kerr can barely afford to leave in Fezeli/Verejao for a small number of minutes against Tristan Freaking Thompson much less against Kareem and Klay's dad. What is the good of using those fouls when the lakers bigs can actually hit Ft's and State has at times been missing their 3's except in flurries? Bogut is shitty on offense and only offers rim protection. sure Draymond is a truly great defender but if prime Rodman could not defend Worthy on the block what shot does Draymond have? Iggy is nice with that slap down but defending Lebron on the block is much easier than Defending Worthy (skills wise)

Again I am not saying state might not win ... I just disagree on the running off the floor.
Not sure what age you were in 1987 but I was old enough to watch that team no freaking way does this state team run them off the floor.

And if we want to get scientific I think a computer simulation I saw on ESPN claims state wins 55% of the time when they ran the matchup. With the most likely out come was Golden state in 7 (IIRC). That hardly screams blow-out or ran off the floor.

But when you talk fantasy hypotheticals

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 08:57 AM

Not only that G,
But in almost every game they have lost rebounding and turnovers have been costly.
You cannot turn the ball over versus really great teams like the 1987 Lakers, 1986 Celts , 1992 Bulls and not expect them to get whupped. I would also question their ability to beat 2005 Spurs or 2012 Heat the way they are playing right now.

State has been giving up much of their 3 for 2 advantages by turning over the ball, missing FT's and some wasted possesions. This is not the same team that blitzed the regular season ...maybe Steph is hurt but he is playing so no excuses.

ambchang
06-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Another thing to keep i n mind is missed 3's lead to fast breaks ...
And state is not a great rebounding team and Celts and Lakers of the 80's were devastating transition teams. And much better than state in the half-court too.

Amb I think the showtime Lakers teams would adjust they did defend hot players out to the 3 point line when they garnered that type of respect watch them defend Bird and Isiah in the mid 80's ... they did not stop either but they did defend them .. LOL

I actually think the teams didn't play out to the three point line due to training and stamina issues. It was common in the 80s for superstars to play 35 to 38 minutes a night, but that is actually quite rare these days. The fact is that teams were playing in a much smaller area, both on offense and defense, in the 80s, and pretty much run their offenses from 20 feet out, where as teams today initiate their offense, and often times finish their offense, a few feet beyond the 3 point line. You are talking a much larger area that requires a lot of activities.

It is unreasonable for us to expect, Magic, Bird and Worthy to play their customary 37 minutes a game and have the same productivity, they would simply be exhausted.

Add to that the additional spacing that is available, and I think GSW will rain open shots the entire series. If the 80s Lakers and Celtics had trouble stopping the other teams from scoring 110 points a game defending a 20-foot radius semi-circle, they have no chance doing that to a team that is used to operating in a 25-foot radius semi-circle. The Warriors will average 130 points against them pretty easily.

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 02:08 PM
I actually think the teams didn't play out to the three point line due to training and stamina issues. It was common in the 80s for superstars to play 35 to 38 minutes a night, but that is actually quite rare these days. The fact is that teams were playing in a much smaller area, both on offense and defense, in the 80s, and pretty much run their offenses from 20 feet out, where as teams today initiate their offense, and often times finish their offense, a few feet beyond the 3 point line. You are talking a much larger area that requires a lot of activities.

It is unreasonable for us to expect, Magic, Bird and Worthy to play their customary 37 minutes a game and have the same productivity, they would simply be exhausted.

Add to that the additional spacing that is available, and I think GSW will rain open shots the entire series. If the 80s Lakers and Celtics had trouble stopping the other teams from scoring 110 points a game defending a 20-foot radius semi-circle, they have no chance doing that to a team that is used to operating in a 25-foot radius semi-circle. The Warriors will average 130 points against them pretty easily.

how much would they give up tp the most efficient NBA offense in history?
Again like I said maybe in a series State wins 4-2 or 4-3 but the run off the court to me, is bullshit.
What are you calling Amb 130-120?
Are you saying The lakers cant score at least 120 against a team that plays small, and when they play big the quality is Bogut/Verjao/Speighst Fezeli?! The same bigs doiminated by Kanter/Ibaka/Adams? That frontline?
Wouldnt Kareem, worthy Magic and Klay's dad dont get whatever they want inside? :lol

JamStone
06-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Killa, I'm 41. I know, it's ancient especially for message boards. I grew up during the 1980s NBA. Very much in tune with and familiar with all of the great 80s teams.

ambchang
06-15-2016, 02:40 PM
how much would they give up tp the most efficient NBA offense in history?
Again like I said maybe in a series State wins 4-2 or 4-3 but the run off the court to me, is bullshit.
What are you calling Amb 130-120?
Are you saying The lakers cant score at least 120 against a team that plays small, and when they play big the quality is Bogut/Verjao/Speighst Fezeli?! The same bigs doiminated by Kanter/Ibaka/Adams? That frontline?
Wouldnt Kareem, worthy Magic and Klay's dad dont get whatever they want inside? :lol

Yeah, I agree with you about the running off the court part, because I can see the Lakers scoring in the mid 110s to 120s a game, as I can't see anyone being able to guard Worthy or Kareem, but the Warriors do have people to put on Magic, which would put a damper on the lakers offense. I think overall the Warriors would win the series in 5, but the scores would be something like 138-118 or 132-127, I can't see either team stopping the other, but the 3 pointers will be the difference.

Killakobe81
06-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Killa, I'm 41. I know, it's ancient especially for message boards. I grew up during the 1980s NBA. Very much in tune with and familiar with all of the great 80s teams.

Ha we are about the same age ...
But Like I said I just dont agree with the run off the court part.
Amb is right Magic would be easier for state to defend but I dont see how the Lakers/Celts/Pistons frontlines dont shit all over State's.
Yes in the backcourt not sure even isiah and dumars could defend the splash brothers when healthy ...but I think we all know steph aint healthy.

If we are talking about THIS team the one struggling to put away the Cavs, that just lost their best big not named Green I absolutely do NOT see any blowouts or running off the courts of any of the 3 teams i mentioned.

ambchang
06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
One thing I forgot to add though is the mental toughness. I am not sure how the Warriors will respond to some iffy play like a McHale clothesline or a Rambis elbow to the back. GSW dish it but they can't take it, and they got away with lots throughout the year. Against, the Lakers or Celtics, I doubt they get away with as much as they did.

That's why I think the Pistons will probably beat the GSW in a 7 game series. Thomas isn't much of a defender, but Dumars can put the clamps on Curry, and Rodman can cover Thomson quite well. Salley can take Green, but that leaves Thomas in no man's land. Laimbeer, Rodman, Salley, et all will probably smash Green's head in after the first quarter.

Stalin
06-15-2016, 03:16 PM
The Golden Showers are only relevant in :lol today's soft low talent ref dependent NBA, and would get their shit pushed in by most great teams of other eras.

lebomb
06-15-2016, 03:26 PM
The Golden Showers are only relevant in :lol today's soft low talent ref dependent NBA, and would get their shit pushed in by most great teams of other eras.

...........and GSW have to be on fire from the 3. Game 5 shows what happens when they aren't. :claw

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Yep this,team is destroying the Showtime Lakers and 86 Celts :lol in fact, they will run them off the court.:lmao

spursistan
06-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Yep this,team is destroying the Showtime Lakers and 86 Celts :lol in fact, they will run them off the court.:lmao
they have been lowkey average throughout the entire playoffs..even the Blazers could have taken them to 7 games..

lefty
06-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Jam is also missing the point that Kerr can barely afford to leave in Fezeli/Verejao for a small number of minutes against Tristan Freaking Thompson much less against Kareem and Klay's dad. What is the good of using those fouls when the lakers bigs can actually hit Ft's and State has at times been missing their 3's except in flurries? Bogut is shitty on offense and only offers rim protection. sure Draymond is a truly great defender but if prime Rodman could not defend Worthy on the block what shot does Draymond have? Iggy is nice with that slap down but defending Lebron on the block is much easier than Defending Worthy (skills wise)

Again I am not saying state might not win ... I just disagree on the running off the floor.
Not sure what age you were in 1987 but I was old enough to watch that team no freaking way does this state team run them off the floor.

And if we want to get scientific I think a computer simulation I saw on ESPN claims state wins 55% of the time when they ran the matchup. With the most likely out come was Golden state in 7 (IIRC). That hardly screams blow-out or ran off the floor.

But when you talk fantasy hypotheticals

Agreed

lefty
06-16-2016, 09:54 PM

ViceCity86
06-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Look a lot like 1992 Bulls, even worse.

resistanze
06-16-2016, 10:28 PM
LeBron is probably the single most impactful player in NBA history, tbh

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 10:30 PM
LeBron is probably the single most impactful player in NBA history, tbh

Probably definitely the most naturally gifted

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 10:43 PM
This thread ...