PDA

View Full Version : Marjanovic and Milutinov out of the Serbian national team (this summer)

jyra
06-15-2016, 07:34 AM
http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/262877/marjanovic-and-milutinov-out-of-the-serbian-national-team

(http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/262877/marjanovic-and-milutinov-out-of-the-serbian-national-team)
In a press conference that is currently taking place in Belgrade, Serbia’s coach Sasa Djordjevic revealed that Boban Marjanovic and Nikola Milutinov are out of country’s national team this summer and Nemanja Bjelica won’t play in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

“20 days ago Boban Marjanovic told me that he would play for the national team. Yesterday he said no. I’m upset because of it, said Djordjevic. “And Nikola Milutinov dropped out of the national team. He wants to play in the NBA Summer League. I have to say that these are some things I cannot explain”, he commented.

Regarding Nemanja Bjelica, the 48-year coach explained that “I think he will not play in the tournament in Belgrade. It is difficult because of his injuries. The goal is to be ready 100% if we qualify in the Olympic Games”.

Sasa Djordjevic also announced that Vladimir Stimac will be called in the national team to take Marjanovic’s place.

I'm looking forward to see Milutinov in the Summer League.

Serbia should still cruise through the tournament. Angola, Puerto Rico, Japan, Czech Republic and Latvia are the other teams.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Interesting news about Boban changing his mind.

Chinook
06-15-2016, 07:39 AM
So Boban let the Spurs take the blame last time, but now it's on him. I feel for the SNT to not be at full strength during an Olympic year.

I too am really excited about Nikola playing with the SL team. Having him and hopefully Ndoye should allow for Cady to play the four full time. It might also let us see LJC at three. I think Bertans is LNT-bound, but if he's not, then he'd also get a chance to show what he can do at the three against NBA-ish athletes.

Chinook
06-15-2016, 07:41 AM
I wonder if this means that Boban is less optimistic about his new contract with the Spurs than he used to be? Or maybe he thinks that he'll get a much better deal on the open market. Or he could just not want to play year-round and instead practice on his game to become a more viable NBA player.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-15-2016, 07:47 AM
I wonder if this means that Boban is less optimistic about his new contract with the Spurs than he used to be? Or maybe he thinks that he'll get a much better deal on the open market. Or he could just not want to play year-round and instead practice on his game to become a more viable NBA player.

I think it's definitely a contractual issue he's anticipating. Might be another Baynes type scenario if there's no team high on him, but this would be somewhat strange with so much money available this summer.

jyra
06-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Follow up from Boban:
http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/262898/marjanovic-i-cant-play-in-the-oqt-but-i-want-to-be-in-rio

“I always saw the participation in the Serbian national team as a great honor and a privilege”, told the Marjanovic to Sportski Zurnal (http://zurnal.rs/kosarka/reprezentacija/35525/kakav-hendikep-za-srbiju-boban-marjanovic-ne-igra-u-kvalifikacijama-za-oi). “Playing in this jersey has always evoked special emotions. My desire to play for the national team has never been disputed, neither is now. I want to play for Serbia in the Olympic Games, it’s one of my dreams. However, the circumstances are such that I can’t sign a contract in the NBA before July 6. Until then, I can’t put myself at the disposal of coach Djordjevic”.

So who knows he might end up playing in the Olympics after all. Serbia really can't afford to have Kuzmic playing big minutes again if they want to get a medal.

Keepin' it real
06-15-2016, 08:31 AM
This simply means Pop told Boban he'll get significant playing time next season ... but it would behoove Boban to come to training camp rested and healthy.

Chinook
06-15-2016, 08:32 AM
That makes a lot more sense. I wonder if he told Djordjevic as much? If so, the coach comes off as an asshole for blasting his players for trying to secure their futures before committing to pro-bono work. If Boban plays for the SNT after 07/06, this better be the last we hear of his bitching.

Captivus
06-15-2016, 09:01 AM
That makes a lot more sense. I wonder if he told Djordjevic as much? If so, the coach comes off as an asshole for blasting his players for trying to secure their futures before committing to pro-bono work.

+1

siraulo23
06-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Milutinov has the perfect skill set to complement this spurs team, i hope he plays well in the summer league

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm excited to hear the news about Milutinov, skeptical at first when the Spurs drafted him but his skill set is greatly needed now. Can't wait to watch summer league.

Das Texan
06-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Boban prolly doesnt want to deal with possible Zika exposure.

That's the real reason without saying it.

loveforthegame
06-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Looking forward to watching Milutinov.

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gx1pD3bHrk

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Splitter 2.0 lol!

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Nikola Milutinov ======== RALPH SAMPSON OF THE SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Boban, Milutinov and Durant would be the equivalent of the skyscrapers , hahahahahahahahaha

cutewizard
06-15-2016, 10:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJkvHSGgaJA

UNT Eagles 2016
06-15-2016, 11:47 AM
I wonder what the world outcry will be when 30% of Olympic Village this summer gets the zika. And you know the Olympics are a giant orgy as well because of all the hot horny female athletes from around the world. So there's going to be a lot of sex and a lot of zika being passed around. Oh well... I was born with a big head and brain so it won't affect me...

SpursforSix
06-15-2016, 11:53 AM
I wonder what the world outcry will be when 30% of Olympic Village this summer gets the zika. And you know the Olympics are a giant orgy as well because of all the hot horny female athletes from around the world. So there's going to be a lot of sex and a lot of zika being passed around. Oh well... I was born with a big head and brain so it won't affect me...

maybe you can let the mosquito bite your peepee. it's worth a shot.

AFMadison
06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJkvHSGgaJA
Doesn't look that impressive tbh

Chinook
06-15-2016, 12:04 PM

I just don't think you're looking at the right things. That last play was impressive as hell. Can't as for better help defense or hustle than that.

TheGreatYacht
06-15-2016, 12:27 PM
He hardly got minutes last year, too. Don't know what the hype is

Looks like a good rim protector though.

dbestpro
06-15-2016, 12:28 PM
I just don't think you're looking at the right things. That last play was impressive as hell. Can't as for better help defense or hustle than that.

Reminds me a little of Brickowski.

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 12:31 PM

His name is not David West

TheGreatYacht
06-15-2016, 12:32 PM
His name is not David West
David West > Boris Diaw-betes tbh

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 12:36 PM
David West > Boris Diaw-betes tbh

A Chair >>> A Corpse >> West > Diaw

TheGreatYacht
06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
A Chair >>> A Corpse >> West > Diaw
:lol

look_at_g_shred
06-15-2016, 12:47 PM
:pop: " I don't care if West is undersized. I'll put him against kanter/adams. His feisty-ness should overcome any midget syndrome."

palangi
06-15-2016, 01:00 PM
So Boban let the Spurs take the blame last time, but now it's on him. I feel for the SNT to not be at full strength during an Olympic year.

I too am really excited about Nikola playing with the SL team. Having him and hopefully Ndoye should allow for Cady to play the four full time. It might also let us see LJC at three. I think Bertans is LNT-bound, but if he's not, then he'd also get a chance to show what he can do at the three against NBA-ish athletes.
I like the look of our bigs for summer league.

AFMadison
06-15-2016, 01:45 PM
You're pointing out one play where he "hustles". Good 1 play I guess.

Chinook
06-15-2016, 02:08 PM
You're pointing out one play where he "hustles". Good 1 play I guess.

That was the one that is easiest to point out. He had decent blocks and rolls too.

objective
06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
I've watched some of his euroleague games and of course some Greek league playoff stuff and really his only weakness is fouls, some of them are pretty dumb.

Once that is tamed, he's going to fit right in. He's going to add what Splitter did, constant picks, non stop screening and motion and rolling. That's going to help the Spurs offense in a way that surprises people. I love Boban but as I pointed out before he signed, that's not the best part of his game, be could barely get on the same page with the guards and make any contact. And of course, West and Diaw were too old and slow to replicate what Splitter brought. And Duncan had aged out of effectiveness.

I hope it's a sign that Milutinov is brought over.

palangi
06-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Rebounding, shot blocking, and agility on pick and roll defense isn't impressive to some I guess. They have been to ESPNized, where monster alley oop dunks and 3's are the only impressive way to play basketball.

SAGirl
06-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Yup, that kind of hedging and recovery Timmy is incapable of at this stage of his career and its not a play any of our other bigs even attempts. That blue collar mentality can make him a Pop favorite for sure! I loved it!
He will need to add muscle for sure, but I noticed he's a legit C in size, length, off the ball movement, defense!!!

I so look forward to see in him in SL!!! Really excited about him :cheer :cheer
Do you think there's a chance we bring him over if he does well maybe? Or just a look see?

Boban is dropping out on advice of his agent and he really needs to look after himself. SA can really get outbid by others in terms of what they were ready to do financially and long term with him. He wants to stay here but it's really a realm of speculation what the Spurs are doing at this point. I pretty much don't believe at all any of the rumors for a big time FA signing, count me on the skeptical team, but if they do attempt roster makeovers, Boban may be a casualty. He should look after himself too. He's not that young to be giving discounts. At this point he needs to get paid.

jyra
06-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Once that is tamed, he's going to fit right in. He's going to add what Splitter did, constant picks, non stop screening and motion and rolling. That's going to help the Spurs offense in a way that surprises people.

How is his passing? Tiago's ability to catch on the move and immediately throw an accurate pass to the weakside was huge for the offense.

Chinook
06-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Do you think there's a chance we bring him over if he does well maybe? Or just a look see?

I don't think they would have encouraged him to forego his NT trip (especially with Boban pulling out) if they didn't think there was a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if this was similar to the LJC thing from last year. I think he'll play and the team will see if things make enough sense. I'd put his chances of coming over at about 35 percent right now. There are three sides to consider with him being under contract in Greece for two more years.

If he shows out or even just looks he can play some bench minutes against legit competition, I think the chances will rise a lot. But it also depends on how free agency goes. Unlike with LJC, the Spurs don't have to ask Milutinov to work with them on staying over. So they can see if they have cap space for him before deciding to engage in buyout talks. If the Spurs end up spending big on perimeter players while also having the small amount left that they need (like $400k), then I think they do what they can to get him on the roster. If they do like some people want and sign Boban and a dude like Plumlee along with a prospect like Ndoye, I don't think they'll add Nikola.

Chinook
06-15-2016, 03:16 PM
How is his passing? Tiago's ability to catch on the move and immediately throw an accurate pass to the weakside was huge for the offense.

Indeed. Tiago was a really good player, and it sucks that he's such an afterthought for most of the Hawks fans I've heard from. I think his best asset was knowing how to set screens that weren't scripted into the play. Like if he saw another teammate's defender was distracted, he'd just float over for a backscreen to get an open shot. Where the hell was that last year? That kind of off-ball screening would have really added some depth to the iso-heavy offense the team ran.

palangi
06-15-2016, 03:20 PM
I don't think they would have encouraged him to forego his NT trip (especially with Boban pulling out) if they didn't think there was a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if this was similar to the LJC thing from last year. I think he'll play and the team will see if things make enough sense. I'd put his chances of coming over at about 35 percent right now. There are three sides to consider with him being under contract in Greece for two more years.

If he shows out or even just looks he can play some bench minutes against legit competition, I think the chances will rise a lot. But it also depends on how free agency goes. Unlike with LJC, the Spurs don't have to ask Milutinov to work with them on staying over. So they can see if they have cap space for him before deciding to engage in buyout talks. If the Spurs end up spending big on perimeter players while also having the small amount left that they need (like $400k), then I think they do what they can to get him on the roster. If they do like some people want and sign Boban and a dude like Plumlee along with a prospect like Ndoye, I don't think they'll add Nikola.
It's good to see there are options. Young athletic ones.

Keepin' it real
06-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Yeah, man! He's no Deandre Jordan or Bismarck Biyombo, man! I'm not impressed either, man!

objective
06-15-2016, 03:59 PM

His passing is very good for a center and I love that about him. He can execute every pass in the Spurs offense that would be asked of him. That isn't easy for bigs, especially young bigs. I don't think he's as good as Splitter was when he came over at 25, but he can do it. He's less ... slick, I guess I would say. He has never been an offensive focus like Splitter was so he didn't get a lot of double teams and have to pass out of them.

And he moves the ball. He doesn't hold it, think about his scoring chances, then reluctantly pass. He does team ball.

I would much rather see him than some of the veteran journeyman scrubs people seem to be pining for like Thomas Robinson. I don't get why people like that guy. He's like if Jeff Ayres had been a top 5 bust but still was able to live off that reputation of being a top 5 pick.

His post defense needs to get stronger as Papagiannis got him some in the post in the Greek league finals, but that guy is a 7-2 monster. Not too many guys like that will be coming off of NBA benches (until Papagiannis is drafted this month). But Milutinov does need to get stronger, sure.

There's full games on YouTube for anyone who wants to see him, unfortunately not too many highlight clips.

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Does he get blocked by PGs? I miss that about Tiago

objective
06-15-2016, 04:17 PM
His kind of game might not look so great in summer league. He's not really a big scorer. And summer league is a messy, foul filled junk affair where his type of game won't look so great.

SAGirl
06-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Indeed. Tiago was a really good player, and it sucks that he's such an afterthought for most of the Hawks fans I've heard from. I think his best asset was knowing how to set screens that weren't scripted into the play. Like if he saw another teammate's defender was distracted, he'd just float over for a backscreen to get an open shot. Where the hell was that last year? That kind of off-ball screening would have really added some depth to the iso-heavy offense the team ran.

In general I miss Tiago. I missed him even his last season with us when he was injured most of the season. I kept wishing he'd get back to form. I liked Baynes well enough actually, but Tiago was such a high BBIQ team player. It's a shame they didn't take advantage of him in the Hawks when they had him. I read somewhere from their fans that they never passed to him on PNR as Schrooder is actually very selfish and cancerous in that regard (not a personal observation though), but I have become less enthusiastic about Schrooder as a prospect as a result. Reminds me too much of some other low IQ PG in the league. It's hard to win games with guys like that, but I am getting off track.

I hope Tiago recovers from his hip injury well. I'd take him back too, it's just such a question mark from here on out how healthy or not he will be. I wish him nothing but the best.

SAGirl
06-15-2016, 04:31 PM
His kind of game might not look so great in summer league. He's not really a big scorer. And summer league is a messy, foul filled junk affair where his type of game won't look so great.
Offensively not that concerned if he looks bad. SL is unlikely to have good passers unless the team drafts a PG/combo guard prosect -- could be a possibility. He probably has to show things defensively. That's also going to be very difficult to gauge with poor or nonexistent perimeter defense.

SAGirl
06-15-2016, 04:38 PM
There's full games on YouTube for anyone who wants to see him, unfortunately not too many highlight clips.
Can you post some links? I don't know where to find them.

TD 21
06-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Not that there was ever any reason to think otherwise, but this is probably another sign that Marjanovic is going to be re-signed. This is a new trend in the league, where teams want young and/or developing players essentially under team control for much of the off season.

I doubt Milutinov is brought over until '17-'18 though. This is probably just to get him under team control for a while and give him his first taste of NBA caliber athleticism.

objective
06-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Can you post some links? I don't know where to find them.

Just search for "olympiakos full", and filter by length over 20 minutes (or 'long), and by recency, and you'll find them.

There's also some which might be found with the Greek word for Olympiakos which might not come up under the English word

SAGirl
06-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Just search for "olympiakos full", and filter by length over 20 minutes (or 'long), and by recency, and you'll find them.

There's also some which might be found with the Greek word for Olympiakos which might not come up under the English wordthanks :tu

GSH
06-15-2016, 10:17 PM

There's also some which might be found with the Greek word for Olympiakos which might not come up under the English word

Georgios Printezis recently announced that he will stay with Olympiakos until he retires. (Just in case anyone comes across any of the articles talking about how the Spurs are still "keeping a close eye on Printezis", while looking into Milutinov. :nope )

objective
06-15-2016, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't want Printeziz as it is, I don't think his game would translate so well at his age and athleticism.

K...
06-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Georgios Printezis recently announced that he will stay with Olympiakos until he retires. (Just in case anyone comes across any of the articles talking about how the Spurs are still "keeping a close eye on Printezis", while looking into Milutinov. :nope )

Ok what about Vassilis Spanoulis, I know we don't technically have his rights anymore but surely he's ready to come if we call.

GSH
06-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Ok what about Vassilis Spanoulis, I know we don't technically have his rights anymore but surely he's ready to come if we call.

LOL. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some speculation here about bringing in the Greek Michael Jordan.

I wouldn't want Printeziz as it is, I don't think his game would translate so well at his age and athleticism.

I only brought it up because there was an article back in November or December talking about Peter Holt going to Athens to check out Prentezis. People take those articles and run with them.

I knew when the Spurs got Prentezis' rights that there was little to no chance of him ever wanting to play in the NBA. To be honest, I questioned whether Milutinov had any burning desire to come here. Most American fans assume that every player in Europe wants to come play in the NBA, if they are good enough. A lot of guys just aren't interested.

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-16-2016, 12:27 AM
LOL. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some speculation here about bringing in the Greek Michael Jordan.

I only brought it up because there was an article back in November or December talking about Peter Holt going to Athens to check out Prentezis. People take those articles and run with them.

I knew when the Spurs got Prentezis' rights that there was little to no chance of him ever wanting to play in the NBA. To be honest, I questioned whether Milutinov had any burning desire to come here. Most American fans assume that every player in Europe wants to come play in the NBA, if they are good enough. A lot of guys just aren't interested.

Big fish in the small pond mentality perhaps?

siraulo23
06-16-2016, 02:49 AM

Looks like a good rim protector though.

he's an unproven poor man's splitter, still better than david west

siraulo23
06-16-2016, 02:51 AM
His passing is very good for a center and I love that about him. He can execute every pass in the Spurs offense that would be asked of him. That isn't easy for bigs, especially young bigs. I don't think he's as good as Splitter was when he came over at 25, but he can do it. He's less ... slick, I guess I would say. He has never been an offensive focus like Splitter was so he didn't get a lot of double teams and have to pass out of them.

And he moves the ball. He doesn't hold it, think about his scoring chances, then reluctantly pass. He does team ball.

I would much rather see him than some of the veteran journeyman scrubs people seem to be pining for like Thomas Robinson. I don't get why people like that guy. He's like if Jeff Ayres had been a top 5 bust but still was able to live off that reputation of being a top 5 pick.

His post defense needs to get stronger as Papagiannis got him some in the post in the Greek league finals, but that guy is a 7-2 monster. Not too many guys like that will be coming off of NBA benches (until Papagiannis is drafted this month). But Milutinov does need to get stronger, sure.

:tu

Mnky
06-16-2016, 02:59 AM

Exactly.

Chinook
06-16-2016, 06:43 AM

Or not wanting to travel across the world when you're already making good money where you are. Or not wanting to be embedded in a culture you may not understand.

GSH
06-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Or not wanting to travel across the world when you're already making good money where you are. Or not wanting to be embedded in a culture you may not understand.

Yep. When you really like where you are, and you're making very good money to play basketball? It's a no-brainer for a lot of guys.

I think you can throw style of play I there. Neither one is right or wrong, but there is no denying that the style of play is different. Timmy came back from playing international ball and said, "FIBA sucks". Imagine how he would feel if he had to play every game under those conditions. Maybe he would eventually get used to it, but he had no reason to. Those guys feel the same way. A lot of them have been playing semi-pro ball since their teens, and that's the game they know and love.

If the payday is big enough, some guys will make the jump even when they aren't crazy about doing it. Some stick, but some go back after a season or two. What the hell - different people like different things. If you've got enough money, why wouldn't you do what you love, instead of doing something you don't like as much?

I didn't think a min contract would be enough to bring Milutinov over, and I didn't think anyone would give him much more than that based on where his game is right now. I guess we'll see.

Chinook
06-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Yep. When you really like where you are, and you're making very good money to play basketball? It's a no-brainer for a lot of guys.

I think you can throw style of play I there. Neither one is right or wrong, but there is no denying that the style of play is different. Timmy came back from playing international ball and said, "FIBA sucks". Imagine how he would feel if he had to play every game under those conditions. Maybe he would eventually get used to it, but he had no reason to. Those guys feel the same way. A lot of them have been playing semi-pro ball since their teens, and that's the game they know and love.

If the payday is big enough, some guys will make the jump even when they aren't crazy about doing it. Some stick, but some go back after a season or two. What the hell - different people like different things. If you've got enough money, why wouldn't you do what you love, instead of doing something you don't like as much?

I didn't think a min contract would be enough to bring Milutinov over, and I didn't think anyone would give him much more than that based on where his game is right now. I guess we'll see.

Nikola was a first-rounder. His contract is fixed, and by many accounts, he wants to come over. He wouldn't be doing the SL if he didn't. Despite what some people said earlier, the Spurs have no leverage to make him drop his NT. They aren't paying him yet, and unless they release his rights, he gets to decide whether he wants to come over in two years or not.

Spurs9
06-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Same euro highlight reel we saw with Splitter :lol

NikosChelsea7
06-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Milutinov on the court: 17:22-31:51 , 1:06:01-1:19:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTupCUKbxrg

NikosChelsea7
06-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Milutinov on the court: 3:44-6:06 , 40:-11-48:17 , 53:15-58:33
(game also features Adam Hanga)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KmebBNBgg

NikosChelsea7
06-16-2016, 12:05 PM
If you want me to post more games , just let me know.:toast

GSH
06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Nikola was a first-rounder. His contract is fixed, and by many accounts, he wants to come over. He wouldn't be doing the SL if he didn't. Despite what some people said earlier, the Spurs have no leverage to make him drop his NT. They aren't paying him yet, and unless they release his rights, he gets to decide whether he wants to come over in two years or not.

You're right (of course). I had mixed up the min contract they have reportedly offered Bertans. Milutinov would get the rookie scale from the year he was drafted.

I had heard that he liked his first year in Greece, and intended to play out his contract without any discussion of a buyout, and coming to the Spurs. But rumors are worth what you pay for them.

When his contract with Olympiacos is up, he goes back to the Spurs as a cap hold, so he would either have to come over, sign with another Euro team, or retire. I guess the Spurs could renounce his rights, too. But, yeah, he has the right to that rookie scale contract.

I try not to even get into discussions about guys playing for their NT's anymore. It always turns into a fight before it's done. I guess I was mostly surprised that he pulled out of his NT to play in the summer league here, since he can't come to the Spurs now, unless a buyout is agreed to. I know a lot of people are thinking that playing in the summer league means he might be joining the Spurs early, but that can't happen without Olympiacos agreeing to it.

One possibility that no one has mentioned is that he thinks playing the summer league will help him improve his game more than playing with the NT. It doesn't have to have anything to do with his intentions to come here to play.

Chinook
06-16-2016, 01:51 PM
I guess I was mostly surprised that he pulled out of his NT to play in the summer league here, since he can't come to the Spurs now, unless a buyout is agreed to. I know a lot of people are thinking that playing in the summer league means he might be joining the Spurs early, but that can't happen without Olympiacos agreeing to it.

I'm pretty sure there's already a buyout agreement in place. This isn't like the NBA where the buyouts are usually negotiated right before release. Most contracts for Euro prospects have the buyouts already agreed to. Like Bertans is still under contract next season with LK, but the Spurs can just unilaterally pay the buyout and then sign Davis. I've heard that Milutinov is in a similar situation, though the buyout could be higher. That doesn't mean the Spurs will bring him over, but I'm pretty sure between them and Nikola, the option is there.

One possibility that no one has mentioned is that he thinks playing the summer league will help him improve his game more than playing with the NT. It doesn't have to have anything to do with his intentions to come here to play.

That's fine during an odd year, and indeed the Spurs have their prospects come over all the time, but this is an even year, so players often prioritize the NTs with actual medals at stake. Milutinov may well have gotten minutes against better competition, and especially as it moved toward the Olympics the experience he could pick up even on the bench is immense.

Him picking SL over that implies either than he doesn't care much at all about the SNT (which is possible but still sort of weird that they wouldn't know that by now) or that he REALLY values being a Spur and working toward an NBA career. It's clearly not the SNT's view that the SL makes more sense. It might be Olympicacos' view, but I doubt it. I just think this is a sign that he's going to be a Spur sooner than you're assuming. It probably won't be this year. But it should be the next one.

GSH
06-16-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure there's already a buyout agreement in place. This isn't like the NBA where the buyouts are usually negotiated right before release. Most contracts for Euro prospects have the buyouts already agreed to. Like Bertans is still under contract next season with LK, but the Spurs can just unilaterally pay the buyout and then sign Davis. I've heard that Milutinov is in a similar situation, though the buyout could be higher. That doesn't mean the Spurs will bring him over, but I'm pretty sure between them and Nikola, the option is there.

That's fine during an odd year, and indeed the Spurs have their prospects come over all the time, but this is an even year, so players often prioritize the NTs with actual medals at stake. Milutinov may well have gotten minutes against better competition, and especially as it moved toward the Olympics the experience he could pick up even on the bench is immense.

Him picking SL over that implies either than he doesn't care much at all about the SNT (which is possible but still sort of weird that they wouldn't know that by now) or that he REALLY values being a Spur and working toward an NBA career. It's clearly not the SNT's view that the SL makes more sense. It might be Olympicacos' view, but I doubt it. I just think this is a sign that he's going to be a Spur sooner than you're assuming. It probably won't be this year. But it should be the next one.

Thanks. News to me. I remember the negotiations they had over Scola, and it seemed like the buyout process was pretty much ad hoc. I'm guessing they must have standardized the process since then, which is good because it never made much sense. That puts everything in a different light.

Last summer they had Tim coming off a brilliant playoff performance, and they needed cap room for LMA. This year they need to fill some holes in the roster. If Milutinov is a realistic possibility (both in desire and in contract status) that's huge. Bigs are almost always an unknown, when it comes to playing NBA ball - whether they're coming from college or from the Euros. But if there was ever a time when the Spurs could use a big man on a rookie scale contract, this is it. That's the best sounding news I've seen since the season ended.

This time last year I was calling for the Spurs to sign Boban, and I was surprised when they actually did it. But I was also surprised at his inability to run the PnR, and to catch onto the Spurs system in general (on both ends of the floor). He was very good individually, but man he got lost on the court a lot. Hopefully this season plus a stint in SL will get him up to speed. The possibility of actually bringing Milutinov this season is a bonus I hadn't even looked for.

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Since we are discussing Nikola and his first round contract entitlement, What about the cap exploding next season again and the CBA negotiations? I don't know anything about that, but I love speculation as much as anyone.

What if it makes the most sense for the Spurs to consider Nikola right now if he shows in SL that with at least one season of our regular dleague and early season playing time mix, he could soak up some C minutes in the NBA and be ready to contribute his second season while locked into the rookie scale contract (like most recently CoJo and KA?). He's just 21 yrs old still in a developing stage and him not playing a lot in Greece (per reports here) could derail or stall his development like it did for LJC. They may be thinking that it's better to feed him minutes in the dleague and garbage time, and be more involved with him personally. Add to that a potential contractual situation changing and he makes sense coming over. Those spots at the end of the bench had gone to old vets this past season. That shouldn't be the case anymore in what should be a younger team centered on a 25 yr old star, with two of the big 3 now retired or really about to.

maverick1948
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Milutinov is only 20 years old. If he is the 3rd or 4th center in the NT then why bother to go. He will be left at home Boban got more minutes with the Spurs (SA and Austin) than he would have gotten in Europe. A year under his belt here, Boban will see more action. Same for Mulutinov, if he comes over he may spend time at Austin but the experience with SA will be valuable. Maybe Timmy will give us a decision soon and we can move on with discussion of who may come over.