PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Friday, Monday, Thursday, Sunday. Is the NBA trying to become the NFL?

UNT Eagles 2016
06-15-2016, 11:41 AM
The spacing is just ridiculous. Basketball is not football -- this is NOT a game of attrition and wear and tear injuries. Yes, teams need adequate time to travel and prepare for the games, but having every game after the first 4 games be every 3 days (twice per week) is ludicrous. Basketball is a RHYTHM game, football is an ATTRITION game.

The NFL, in part, succeeds highly because the supply (once per week and errant games on Mondays and Thursdays, only weekends in the playoffs) WAY outpaces the demand for football (many meatheads including myself would watch it every day of the year if we could). An extreme contra-example is baseball where the regular season is largely ignored by most casual fans because 162 games per year and every day in the playoffs is just too much. The NBA is trying to copycat the NFL's strategy by reducing supply, however this is not really a wise move considering how much the sport benefits from the steady flow of games (normally every 2 days).

Silver needs to change this back to being every other day (as it had been up until last year) beginning next year.

Agreed?

SpursforSix
06-15-2016, 11:50 AM
The spacing is just ridiculous. Basketball is not football -- this is NOT a game of attrition and wear and tear injuries. Yes, teams need adequate time to travel and prepare for the games, but having every game after the first 4 games be every 3 days (twice per week) is ludicrous. Basketball is a RHYTHM game, football is an ATTRITION game.

The NFL, in part, succeeds highly because the supply (once per week and errant games on Mondays and Thursdays, only weekends in the playoffs) WAY outpaces the demand for football (many meatheads including myself would watch it every day of the year if we could). An extreme contra-example is baseball where the regular season is largely ignored by most casual fans because 162 games per year and every day in the playoffs is just too much. The NBA is trying to copycat the NFL's strategy by reducing supply, however this is not really a wise move considering how much the sport benefits from the steady flow of games (normally every 2 days).

Silver needs to change this back to being every other day (as it had been up until last year) beginning next year.

Agreed?

Yep.

I think League Pass has exacerbated the situation for the regular season.

In the past, if you didn't have a local station covering your team, you couldn't watch every single game. I used to look forward to the TNT/TBS games regardless of who was playing. Now, I only watch the Spurs games and maybe the end of some others if it's close.

So in the past, 82 games seemed fine when everyone couldn't watch every single game. Now it's just too many. IMO.

But yeah...in the playoffs, every other day but with a 2 day gap between the change of venue games.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Yep.

I think League Pass has exacerbated the situation for the regular season.

In the past, if you didn't have a local station covering your team, you couldn't watch every single game. I used to look forward to the TNT/TBS games regardless of who was playing. Now, I only watch the Spurs games and maybe the end of some others if it's close.

So in the past, 82 games seemed fine when everyone couldn't watch every single game. Now it's just too many. IMO.

But yeah...in the playoffs, every other day but with a 2 day gap between the change of venue games.

Hell, even if you DID live in San Antonio you only got about 55-60 games a year, as roughly half of the home games would get blacked out and a few random road games per year wouldn't get covered. By the turn of the century Spurs fans could almost all of the games, and there hasn't been a game not made available to SA area Spurs fans on cable or network TV since November 2002 vs the 76ers.

06-16-2016, 09:44 AM
:lol Today's NBA

snickles
06-16-2016, 01:18 PM
agreed. i miss the days where round 1 was 5 games, and TBS/TNT would overlap 4 games per night. the 1st round was usually over in a week. now its often times not decided in two.......too much, too boring, not particularly interesting.

just another reason i'm hemorrhaging interest in this league.