PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Lebron is soft and wouldn't survive the 80s - Mychal Thompson

Thebesteva
06-16-2016, 01:03 AM
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/13/mychal-thompson-lebron-james-80s-basketball-klay

whitemamba
06-16-2016, 01:16 AM
Neither would his son

jeebus
06-16-2016, 01:25 AM
The league has been watered down with shitty talent and has been soft for years now. This is nothing new.

StrengthAndHonor
06-16-2016, 01:38 AM
Neither would his son
True:lol

Chris
06-16-2016, 03:32 AM
Today's NBA :lol

djohn2oo8
06-16-2016, 05:44 AM
Niggas wouldnt need their parents speaking up for them in the 80s

hater
06-16-2016, 06:03 AM
:lol you know its a shit league when Dick Jefferson is taking part of Finals shit talking :lol

lebomb
06-16-2016, 06:05 AM
LMAO!!! Mychal Thompson was considered a soft ass niggra in the 80's NBA. Real niggras were Bill Laimbeer (sandblasted niggra), Anthony Mason, Dennis Rodman, Charles Oakley, Rasheed Wallace, Xavier McDaniel. :claw

Spurtacular
06-16-2016, 06:22 AM
Look at the timing of the criticism and by whom. Just psychological warfare. But I do have to wonder how Lebron would have fared in the 80's given that they weren't calling as much phony stuff. The automatic 30's wouldn't be there for him. He'd have to work for his points. And on days the shot wasn't falling 4-15, 11 points would be more common.

lefty
06-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Neither would his son

06-16-2016, 09:43 AM
:lol Today's NBA

JoeTait75
06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
With the illegal defense rules in place back then, with him getting single-covered by guys like Kelly Tripucka, LeBron would have torn it up in the '80s. Other than maybe Michael Cooper or Bobby Jones, who would have been able to check him? Robert Reid, maybe? Dennis Rodman in his early years? Who else?

I'd like to see how Draymond would have survived back then. Put him in a time machine, send him back to those days and have him nut-check Rick Mahorn and see what happens. Most players these days don't have the "old-school" mentality and that goes for the Warriors too.

FWIW, I don't remember Mychal Thompson being an overly physical player either.

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 09:50 AM
With the illegal defense rules in place back then, with him getting single-covered by guys like Kelly Tripucka, LeBron would have torn it up in the '80s. Other than maybe Michael Cooper or Bobby Jones, who would have been able to check him? Robert Reid, maybe? Dennis Rodman in his early years? Who else?

I'd like to see how Draymond would have survived back then. Put him in a time machine, send him back to those days and have him nut-check Rick Mahorn and see what happens. Most players these days don't have the "old-school" mentality and that goes for the Warriors too.

He wasnt ...
He was strong but did not use at as much as he should ...
He was not a finesse guy per se, but with his physique i expected rougher and tougher play.

JoeTait75
06-16-2016, 10:00 AM
BTW, the Warriors are a terrific team and if they win tonight I'll give them props as deserving champions... but goddamn, they're like one of those hotshot traveling youth teams with helicopter parents that constantly scream at officials and coaches.

JamStone
06-16-2016, 10:11 AM
LeBron would be fine in the 80s. His strength, athleticism, and skill set translates to pretty much any era. The thing that would be tested and have to change is his bitching to officials over every non-call and whining over hard fouls taken on him. But if he grew up in the 70s and played in the 80s, he'd have learned at a young age that he can't bitch to the refs all the time and that you have to be a man when you get fouled hard. And if you think someone was dirty, you don't cry to the officials, you exchange fists. He wouldn't be the same whining bitch if he played in the 80s. He'd not only survive the 80s, he'd still be among the best players in the league.

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 10:31 AM
LeBron would be fine in the 80s. His strength, athleticism, and skill set translates to pretty much any era. The thing that would be tested and have to change is his bitching to officials over every non-call and whining over hard fouls taken on him. But if he grew up in the 70s and played in the 80s, he'd have learned at a young age that he can't bitch to the refs all the time and that you have to be a man when you get fouled hard. And if you think someone was dirty, you don't cry to the officials, you exchange fists. He wouldn't be the same whining bitch if he played in the 80s. He'd not only survive the 80s, he'd still be among the best players in the league.

I agree. His skills are transcendent especially his passing size/speed ratio. Even if he was still whining like a bitch none of that would stop him being faster than most 80's PG's and stronger than most 80's forwards and some centers. Honestly the biggest impact for James is that the physical punishment he would take driving to the basket would probably cause him to miss more games. Lebron's durability thus far in his career has been amazing.

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 10:34 AM
That's ridiculous. He's built to play in the NBA at any era. And if he'd come up in that era, he wouldn't have developed any softness.

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 10:40 AM
That's ridiculous. He's built to play in the NBA at any era. And if he'd come up in that era, he wouldn't have developed any softness.

Agree he is built for any era ..
Disagree that if he grew up in that era it means he wouldnt be soft ...
There were soft players in the 80's not every guy was Mahorn, Oak etc.
He may have developed toughness or maybe like the way the Kings of the 80's protected Gretzky he would have enforcers defend him and he would still be a bitch but like Wayne he also would be the best player as well.

dfens
06-16-2016, 10:42 AM
BTW, the Warriors are a terrific team and if they win tonight I'll give them props as deserving champions... but goddamn, they're like one of those hotshot traveling youth teams with helicopter parents that constantly scream at officials and coaches.

son they might be a great team but they are also the most faggy team of all time. They make the cHeat look like true warriors tbh.

All I see is:
:lol steph cucky with a sore pinkie and vagina all the god damn time
:lol if that nigga isn't hitting threes from illegal screens he is a 20-4-4 player :lmao
:lol refs in their pocket and they barely beat OKC and maybe Cavs
:lol that :monkey:monkey:monkey green wouldn't last a second in the 80s or 90s tbh
:lol illegal screen galore but "other teams are physical :cry:cry:cry"
:lol all these faggots are getting cucked left and right
:lol even their dads are getting cucked :lmao live on tv.
:lol faggot fans

Tbh I'd rather see lebron 3peat than any more rings for this fucking fraud of a team. If they'd be reffed fairly they'd be the 4th best team in the league tbh. As a laker fan we got our fair share of whistles, as did the cHeat, but at least these teams pounded the glass, attacked the rim, did something tbh. This new faggot style of basketball is killing me, I can't even watch this new shit tbh.

And fuck golden state and fuck that aids ridden hipsters in san francisco tbh.

dfens
06-16-2016, 10:44 AM
I agree. His skills are transcendent especially his passing size/speed ratio. Even if he was still whining like a bitch none of that would stop him being faster than most 80's PG's and stronger than most 80's forwards and some centers. Honestly the biggest impact for James is that the physical punishment he would take driving to the basket would probably cause him to miss more games. Lebron's durability thus far in his career has been amazing.

imo the biggest impact for lebron wouldn't be that, as the 80s lacked quality zone play due to the single cover rules, he'd get his as he does today.
the biggest impact would be lebron being legally allowed to handcheck .. crazy to think about it tbh.

resistanze
06-16-2016, 10:44 AM

Damn, you OK tbh? Stunningly good take....

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Agree he is built for any era ..
Disagree that if he grew up in that era it means he wouldnt be soft ...
There were soft players in the 80's not every guy was Mahorn, Oak etc.
He may have developed toughness or maybe like the way the Kings of the 80's protected Gretzky he would have enforcers defend him and he would still be a bitch but like Wayne he also would be the best player as well.

That's reasonable as well. It's tough to say for sure because I can't think of anyone from the 80's built like him with his skill set to make a comparison.

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 10:46 AM

I'm trying to compartmentalize.

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 10:57 AM
imo the biggest impact for lebron wouldn't be that, as the 80s lacked quality zone play due to the single cover rules, he'd get his as he does today.
the biggest impact would be lebron being legally allowed to handcheck .. crazy to think about it tbh.

We agree he would get his. I am just saying that the Mo Lucas, Oakley, Mahorn , barkley etc would foul in ways he is not fouled today without flagrants being called. Over time I think that would make him more likely to be injured. James of course when he does decide to play defense would be able to benefit from hand-checking.

lefty
06-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Steve Kerr said that Lebron has no consistent face up and post up jumpers.
He is right

Lebron is lucky he won the genetic lottery tbh

apalisoc_9
06-16-2016, 01:31 PM

:lmao

Raven
06-16-2016, 01:33 PM
sooooooo steph curry would?

ambchang
06-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Lebron would just kill it in the 80s, or the 90s, or the 70s, or any other era. He has the physical tools and basketball IQ to dominate in any era, and to suggest otherwise is stupid.

He is basically Scottie Pippen in Karl Malone's body with Magic Johnson's vision. Lebron can probably be checked by Rodman, and I can't really think of another player back in the day who are strong, quick and smart enough to check Lebron one on one. Hand check wouldn't work too much on him because he is so strong and athletic, him not having a consistent jumper wouldn't hurt him that much because a lot of great players in the 80s didn't really have consistent jumpers. Isiah was deadly when he's on, but there were days he was off, Magic didn't develop a reliable shot until late in his career, ditto Jordan. Sidney Moncrief wasn't really known for his range.

Handcheck or not, Lebron will just breeze past this, he is way too strong to be stopped or even slowed down by simple handchecking.

lebomb
06-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Steve Kerr said that Lebron has no consistent face up and post up jumpers.
He is right

Lebron is lucky he won the genetic lottery tbh

Every player that ever was has a weakness. MJ even had it all except the skyhook and crazy 3pt accuracy.

TheGreatYacht
06-16-2016, 02:30 PM
His son, like him, are Charmin soft. Lebron a mentally weak bitch though

:lol Today's NBA

lefty
06-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Every player that ever was has a weakness. MJ even had it all except the skyhook and crazy 3pt accuracy.

Still more refined than Lebron overall
And a better ball handler

lefty
06-16-2016, 02:52 PM
But yeah Magic wasn't the greatest outside shooter tbh :lol

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 03:00 PM

nah he got more accurate with that push shot as he got older and slower ...
But He also went from a good about 82% to great FT shooter over 90% as he got older.

Pelicans78
06-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Without the HGH factor, Lebron wouldn't have been so big and powerful as he is today. Guess he could have resorted to anabolic steroids.

jermaine
06-16-2016, 03:26 PM
LMAO!!! Mychal Thompson was considered a soft ass niggra in the 80's NBA. Real niggras were Bill Laimbeer (sandblasted niggra), Anthony Mason, Dennis Rodman, Charles Oakley, Rasheed Wallace, Xavier McDaniel. :claw

I swear coming up, those was favorite players. Plus Barkley. I hated Jordan... Pippen, Paxson, an Kerr bailed Jordan out so much. Much like that kicker who always saved Tom Brady an the Patriots.

UZER
06-16-2016, 03:43 PM

He also couldn't play D and dribble with his left hand. :lol

JoeTait75
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Without the HGH factor, Lebron wouldn't have been so big and powerful as he is today. Guess he could have resorted to anabolic steroids.

He could've gotten in touch with Mark Gastineau or Lyle Alzado. I'm sure they would have steered him in the right direction.

lefty
06-16-2016, 06:07 PM
nah he got more accurate with that push shot as he got older and slower ...
But He also went from a good about 82% to great FT shooter over 90% as he got older.

He's always been an excellent FT shooter

As for his outside shot he had to be wide open

Not a deal breaker of course, he was so complete offensively

lefty
06-16-2016, 06:08 PM
He also couldn't play D and dribble with his left hand. :lol
:lol The then today's NBA

LkrFan
06-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Agreed. He's mentally soft and protected nowadays. Back then he'd get treated like MJ did. Go in the lane, get knocked on his ass, no flagrant fouls, just shoot your freebies then get back on D. Rinse, repeat.

LeHype couldn't stomach the pain inflicted on him by Oakley, Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, Worm, etc etc. on a regular basis. He'd LeQuit.

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Agreed. He's mentally soft and protected nowadays. Back then he'd get treated like MJ did. Go in the lane, get knocked on his ass, no flagrant fouls, just shoot your freebies then get back on D. Rinse, repeat.

LOL what? The flagrant foul was introduced specifically to protect Jordan.

Killakobe81
06-16-2016, 08:13 PM
LOL what? The flagrant foul was introduced specifically to protect Jordan.

Sure i think they did benefit from that change but early on the pistons used to beat on his ass physically he got points still bit pistons made him earn them

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2016, 10:48 PM
The 80s had minimal defense and over 25% of the players were White Americans(including a ton of rotation players), which speaks volumes on the level of competition, tbh..

resistanze
06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
The 80s had minimal defense and over 25% of the players were White Americans(including a ton of rotation players), which speaks volumes on the level of competition, tbh..

25% Kevin Love? :wow

Clipper Nation
06-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Klaynus' dad is even dumber than he is :lol

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2016, 10:54 PM
25% Kevin Love? :wow

That's the best part of lefty and the old timers bashing Love, tbh:lol

lefty
06-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Just STFU tbh this Warriors would get raped it's obvious :lmao

Obstructed_View
06-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Stockton's ability in Malone's body is a skillset that works in any era.

lefty
06-19-2016, 10:04 PM
:lmao