PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Spurs front office thinks Tim Duncan will retire

Uriel
06-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Buck Harvey wrote an article for the SA Express-News today essentially bidding goodbye to Tim Duncan, which included this key line:

The Spurs say they don’t know what Duncan is going to do, but they are guessing he will walk away.
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Reason-No-431-you-will-miss-Duncan-8219524.php?t=50b51bbbebbc83a41f&cmpid=twitter-premium

lebomb
06-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Basically this means one more year.

dabom
06-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Duncan @cryhavoc lereddit "Dad-dicked him" :lmao

SquawkinHawkBigCock
06-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Duncan @cryhavoc lereddit "Dad-dicked him" :lmoa
What kind of broken ass engrish?

NASpurs
06-16-2016, 10:21 AM
:( that would fucking suck

dabom
06-16-2016, 10:22 AM
What kind of broken ass engrish?

Only thing wrong with it was a typo of "lmao". Faggot. :lmao

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 10:29 AM
No surprise. I expected it. That knee soreness was just age, that is why they sat him down for about 9 games and he pressured to get back but looked just about the same as he did the game right b4 resting. That last game of the series was very emotional. It did feel like his last.

It explains a lot definitely...

I'd love to see him as a coach for young bigs, but who knows. He has a life besides basketball.

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 10:30 AM
By the way, link doesn't work.

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 10:31 AM
I figured there was little chance of Tim coming back on two bad knees, but it still sucks to see the Spurs feel the same is likely. Enjoy your retirement Tim, you have given us the most amazing 19 years we could have ever imagined. :toast

Keepin' it real
06-16-2016, 10:32 AM
This might help explain why Boban "decided" not to play with his national team. Pop told Boban Timmy's going bye-bye.

We need ya, big fella.
:pop:

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 10:32 AM

I think it'd suck worse for him to try another season and then not be able to play at the level that he wants to. Would be sad to see him sitting on the bench with bum knees.

Keepin' it real
06-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Should have ridden off into the sunset after 5, but that money ...

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 10:35 AM
This might help explain why Boban "decided" not to play with his national team. Pop told Boban Timmy's going bye-bye.

We need ya, big fella.
:pop:
Actually, to me it explains Milutinov showing up for SL despite having 2 more years under contract in Europe and declining the opportunity to play for his national team after Boban pulled out.

NASpurs
06-16-2016, 10:37 AM
I think it'd suck worse for him to try another season and then not be able to play at the level that he wants to. Would be sad to see him sitting on the bench with bum knees.

I agree, his health is the most important thing but I meant more in the grand scheme of things. It being an end of an era and it's like reality is hitting now that TD won't be with the team next year and so on. It's more of what Duncan represents.

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 10:41 AM
I agree, his health is the most important thing but I meant more in the grand scheme of things. It being an end of an era and it's like reality is hitting now that TD won't be with the team next year and so on. It's more of what Duncan represents.

Ah. I get what you were saying.

End of an era for sure. It's going to really hit home for me that first game when he's not there for the jump ball. I hope he stays around and helps work with the team. But I can also see him just riding out into the sunset.

DPG21920
06-16-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm not believing anything until it's official (we may know as soon as next week). Knowing Tim he's just as likely to be pranking Pop as he is serious.

K...
06-16-2016, 10:54 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261329&goto=newpost

I bet he read that thread and that broke the camel's back

Chinook
06-16-2016, 10:55 AM
It remains to be seen if Duncan makes it known before the draft the Spurs could still go the over the cap route by having Tim opt in and using his contract to trade. He and the other team could agree to a buyout. That almost certainly wouldn't be a secret on draft night, both because Manu and Tim would probably both do it if one of them did it and because I think the league would have a real problem with a trade that required so much under-the-table handshaking. I think if the plan is/was to keep Diaw, that might happen. But with him being VERY expendable, I wouldn't think the team needs to be that creative.

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Should have ridden off into the sunset after 5, but that money ...

That money? Tim took an enormous paycut. He played because he loves the game and said he would play until the wheels fell off. They didn't fall off until he hurt his good knee this year.

coachmac87
06-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Fuck Buck Harvey...I'll believe it when it's officially announced.

wildbill2u
06-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Tim is such a private person I doubt anyone except maybe Pop has any real insight into his thinking. He and Pop are so close, almost a father/son relationship, so they may be talking about it, but everything else is just speculation. I do think that Tim will let Pop know his decision in time for the team to figure out their possible moves. He won't leave the team high and dry by deciding too late.

Chillen
06-16-2016, 11:12 AM
This guy could just walk away and retire, he has nothing left to prove to anyone but himself. One of the NBA's greatest players ever. I do hope he suits up for one more season as a Spur and try and win another NBA title. He does seem like the kind of player that wouldn't bother playing again if he couldn't compete at a high level.

boutons_deux
06-16-2016, 11:14 AM
If it happens this way, the worst would be Tim denying his fans in the ATT stands to show their appreciation with a 1 hour standing ovation.

loveforthegame
06-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Ugh. It's not official, of course, but you just know this day is coming. Sad day for the league when Timmy retires. :(

SPURt
06-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Shit

cd98
06-16-2016, 11:34 AM
He could retire, sit out half the season or 2/3rds of it, and then comeback and sign a minimum deal and join the Spurs for another playoff run.

SpursFan86
06-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Meh, I've been pretty confident he was going to retire ever since he came back from that knee injury this past season so this isn't remotely surprising. Sucks nonetheless though.

Spurs9
06-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Why do you want him back tbh? Just for nostalgia sake? Its time to move on, start retooling this team now than watch him pull a Kobe for another season.

offset formation
06-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Only thing wrong with it was a typo of "lmao". Faggot. :lmao

You suck at life.

offset formation
06-16-2016, 11:52 AM
No surprise. I expected it. That knee soreness was just age, that is why they sat him down for about 9 games and he pressured to get back but looked just about the same as he did the game right b4 resting. That last game of the series was very emotional. It did feel like his last.

It explains a lot definitely...

I'd love to see him as a coach for young bigs, but who knows. He has a life besides basketball.

Yep. I agree. I doubt he wants to be the clearly washed up big man on the bench guy.

At least he had a great season for at least 80% of last season to end on as well as help lead the Spurs to their all-time best record. And I'm sure he wishes he could have contributed more in the playoffs and gone further. But, time catches us all.

If so, thanks for everything Timmy-

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Yep. I agree. I doubt he wants to be the clearly washed up big man on the bench guy.

He'd go insane listening to Bonner.

Matt: Hey Timmy, remember that time you dunked over Dirk
Tim: Yeah
Matt: haha. That was cool.

Robz4000
06-16-2016, 12:18 PM
:depressed

Horse
06-16-2016, 12:32 PM
He should do whatever he wants to. But going out losing to the inferior jerkoff thunder hurts.

RD2191
06-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Kawhi and LMA need to learn how to win without the goat tbh. Duncan has nothing left to prove.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 12:43 PM
:pop: Good news Matt, you're Starting at Center again this season

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 12:43 PM
At least they can go try to salary dump Parker now. No way this team is a title contender without Duncan and Ginobili if they can't make some major upgrades at other positions, and getting rid of Parker's contract is the only path towards that.

Budkin
06-16-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't buy it. He's coming back for an even 20.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 12:48 PM
At least they can go try to salary dump Parker now. No way this team is a title contender without Duncan and Ginobili if they can't make some major upgrades at other positions, and getting rid of Parker's contract is the only path towards that.

:pop: Tony, we know you got 2 years left on your deal but I think we need to start talking extension since Timmy retired.. How about a max deal?

spurs10
He'd go insane listening to Bonner.

Matt: Hey Timmy, remember that time you dunked over Dirk
Tim: Yeah
Matt: haha. That was cool.

Matt: Tim sometimes my butt gets numb and I can't think of anyone to text.
Tim: Matt ...I'm kinda watching the game. Y'know our team...the Spurs.

RD2191
He should do whatever he wants to. But going out losing to the inferior jerkoff thunder hurts.

Who the hell cares about the Thunder? No one will remember them as an all time great team. They haven't even won 1 title yet. Duncan's Spurs are up there with Jordans Bulls/Shaqs Lakers etc.

J_Paco
06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
That money? Tim took an enormous paycut. He played because he loves the game and said he would play until the wheels fell off. They didn't fall off until he hurt his good knee this year.

Exactly, but let the idiot think what he wants. Just thankful for the 19 years no matter what Tim decides to do.

Sad news if true.....

GSH
06-16-2016, 01:02 PM

I know we had the discussion about re-building before. But Tim wasn't Tim by the end of this last season. Unless he made a major recovery, retiring or not retiring are about the same thing.

If the Spurs really are trying to move up in the draft, this may have just signaled that they are more likely to be looking for a big with their acquired pick. Which means that they really aren't, and Tim thinks he's got another year in him? Speculating on this shit will make you all crazy-like. He carried this team for so many years, it's going to be hard to get used to when he finally is gone.

So if he retires, do the Spurs retire his jersey on opening night?

SpursforSix
06-16-2016, 01:08 PM
I know we had the discussion about re-building before. But Tim wasn't Tim by the end of this last season. Unless he made a major recovery, retiring or not retiring are about the same thing.

If the Spurs really are trying to move up in the draft, this may have just signaled that they are more likely to be looking for a big with their acquired pick. Which means that they really aren't, and Tim thinks he's got another year in him? Speculating on this shit will make you all crazy-like. He carried this team for so many years, it's going to be hard to get used to when he finally is gone.

So if he retires, do the Spurs retire his jersey on opening night?

Yes

Sean Cagney
06-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Should have ridden off into the sunset after 5, but that money ...That would have been the perfect send off for Tim to be honest, go out on Top. I guess he thought they could repeat the next year but it did not work out that way.

Duncan2177
06-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Fuck Buck Harvey...I'll believe it when it's officially announced.

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 01:14 PM
That would have been the perfect send off for Tim to be honest, go out on Top. I guess he thought they could repeat the next year but it did not work out that way.

I don't buy the idea that you should walk away on top. With Robinson it made sense because he was barely able to stay in the lineup those last two years. But Duncan was healthy when they won in 2014, so no reason to not come back and try to win another one. Robinson didn't have another year in him. I still remember in the 02 series with LA where he missed the first two games because he couldn't feel his legs, his back was in such horrible shape.

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 01:14 PM
And if Tim would have retired after getting #5, there would be no Aldridge in San Antonio.

Russo21
06-16-2016, 01:18 PM
He'll be back. Wouldn't he go to Germany and have some super awesome procedure that could bring his knees back to life for 1 more year? He's gotta get healthy and come back.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2016, 01:23 PM
I don't buy the idea that you should walk away on top. With Robinson it made sense because he was barely able to stay in the lineup those last two years. But Duncan was healthy when they won in 2014, so no reason to not come back and try to win another one. Robinson didn't have another year in him. I still remember in the 02 series with LA where he missed the first two games because he couldn't feel his legs, his back was in such horrible shape.I see your point there, very true. He was at a high level in 2014 and had some left.

TheDoctor
06-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Fuck.

GSH
06-16-2016, 02:22 PM
I see your point there, very true. He was at a high level in 2014 and had some left.

He was at a high level at the end of '15. He's done so much here, but that series against the Clippers is one of my sentimental favorites. His performance against those two monsters was absolutely heroic - the aging lion. He deserved to win that series, and would have if he had gotten any kind of support from most of his teammates.

If he had been able to play at that exact level this season, there is no way the Thunder win that series. So, no, he shouldn't have quit after the '14 season, because he was still a beast in the '15 season.

Kawhitstorm
06-16-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't buy the idea that you should walk away on top. With Robinson it made sense because he was barely able to stay in the lineup those last two years. But Duncan was healthy when they won in 2014, so no reason to not come back and try to win another one. Robinson didn't have another year in him. I still remember in the 02 series with LA where he missed the first two games because he couldn't feel his legs, his back was in such horrible shape.

Tim said he was going to play until the "wheels fell off", I think we can all agree the wheels have fallen off since he now has TWO bum knees. It's basically how Larry Bird retired after he played through a debilitating back injury until it completely gave out on him.

Admiral could have played 10-15 minutes like Bill Walton since he had his good & bad days.

poeticism707
06-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Fuck if this is true.

TD has earned the right to whatever the fuck he wants.

Farewell TD if so, top 5 easily at that.

Seventyniner
06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
He was at a high level at the end of '15. He's done so much here, but that series against the Clippers is one of my sentimental favorites. His performance against those two monsters was absolutely heroic - the aging lion. He deserved to win that series, and would have if he had gotten any kind of support from most of his teammates.

If he had been able to play at that exact level this season, there is no way the Thunder win that series. So, no, he shouldn't have quit after the '14 season, because he was still a beast in the '15 season.

Tim was even elite on one side of the ball as recently as January. That doesn't mean he necessarily has anything left in the tank now, but I for one am glad he stuck around.

Mouth is Bleeding
06-16-2016, 03:15 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chomag
06-16-2016, 03:20 PM
If so im even more pissed at Pops performance during the playoffs. Hs no adjustments and stupid line ups trying the same thing over and over while OKC smashed it wasted away Tims last chance at another ring.

I still like Pop but I honestly think he is a bit overated and his arrogance has cost the Spurs more the 1 championship. Then again he did help win a few so maybe it's break even? I don't know but im really pissed at his lackluster coaching right now.

DJR210
06-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Buck Harvey's nothing more than a fucking drunk

lmbebo
06-16-2016, 03:53 PM
He'll be back. Wouldn't he go to Germany and have some super awesome procedure that could bring his knees back to life for 1 more year? He's gotta get healthy and come back.

You can't reproduce cartilage..... Even Kobe tried out that experimental treatment and look how he played this year ...

When you lose it, you lose it ...

objective
06-16-2016, 04:05 PM

God, I hope so. Hell, I'd be happier if Ginobili came back and Parker was gone.

Spurtacular
06-16-2016, 04:07 PM

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2016, 04:08 PM
God, I hope so. Hell, I'd be happier if Ginobili came back and Parker was gone.

Parker will get a silly extension next summer and we will wonder what the hell is wrong with Pop and RC. Basketball reasons.

myhc
06-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Porker is not going anywhere. Unfortunately I think this is the end of the line for Timmy. What a run.

TheGreatYacht
06-16-2016, 04:11 PM
As long as Manure retires

Spurtacular
06-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Tim said he was going to play until the "wheels fell off", I think we can all agree the wheels have fallen off since he now has TWO bum knees. It's basically how Larry Bird retired after he played through a debilitating back injury until it completely gave out on him.

Admiral could have played 10-15 minutes like Bill Walton since he had his good & bad days.

Bird was f'd up physically when he retired. And given that his back made him such a cripple much of the time, the wheels off analysis isn't all that off. But when he played he was still at 37 mpg, 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 7 apg. He was still a a walking triple double (all-star). But he basically retired because the injury took away his consistency. He couldn't be the leader he needed to be and be on the court only half the time.

Duncan will have to decide what the wheels fell off means and what can be rehabbed and what. Judging a guy playing with an injury not fully healed is presumptuous. And unlike Bird, he isn't the point man on the team. He may be fine with basically being a role player.

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-16-2016, 04:18 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/yhzjy.jpg

bdictjames
06-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Timmy! He was never of an ego guy to begin with, so I think he's gonna ride this peace wave like the Buddha he is. Thanks so much Timmy. You and the Spurs have literally changed my life with unselfish basketball, professionalism, and the sense of family. Go Spurs Go!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Gonna suck when Tim and Manu's hall of fame induction get over shadowed by Kobe

bklynspursfan
06-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Before i heard this rumor, I was just watching some old Timmy stuff.. Also came across this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTBbrQgTEk

I still think only Timmy and possibly Pop know what he's gonna do. We will see.... I think he can be serviceable still, as long as he can rest that knee. Maybe even come off the bench if need be. I don't think he's done yet.

spursistan
06-16-2016, 04:47 PM
13 years ago :cry

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClCEFIuXIAALgvT.jpg

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Those are some ungodly stats... :wow

Nathan89
06-16-2016, 05:04 PM
He's not a good fit with LMA and Danny. We'd need an elite pg or him to play off the bench. He probably recognizes that the Spurs are going to land anyone so he may as well call it quits.

Cklbmk
06-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Im hoping he signs with us just before playoffs every year. It'd be legit.

GSH
06-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Buck Harvey's nothing more than a fucking drunk

What's your point? He's not righteous enough for your standards? Shouldn't be allowed to make a living? I don't even know if there's any truth to your statement, but who gives a rat fuck?

Have a couple of drinks and chill the fuck out.

spursistan
06-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Buck Harvey is not some bullshitter..he got legit sources within the Spurs Org..

the mere fact that we haven't heard any news about Timmy seeking a medical/rehab procedure on that knee a month after our elimination tells me he is indeed retiring..

tholdren
06-16-2016, 05:51 PM
Buck Harvey is not some bullshitter..he got legit sources within the Spurs Org..

the mere fact that we haven't heard any news about Timmy seeking a medical/rehab procedure on that knee a month after our elimination tells me he is indeed retiring..
Nice speculation - who cares

Keepin' it real
06-16-2016, 06:00 PM
13 years ago :cry

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClCEFIuXIAALgvT.jpg

What about games 2, 4 and 5?

tbdog
06-16-2016, 06:05 PM
It is so weird that Tim may not be there next season. I can't accept that. Although after 2011, I was surprised we got this far.

Kikoluna
06-16-2016, 06:40 PM
This is the end of an era, sad day....If true. Top 5 all time. Arguably best ever

tholdren
06-16-2016, 06:47 PM
What about games 2, 4 and 5?
2 - 19/12/3/3

4 - 23/17/2/7

5- 29/17/4/4

avg 24/17/5/5

lol

tholdren
06-16-2016, 06:55 PM
finals - pts/reb/ast/blk

1999- 27/14/2/2

2003 - 24/17/5/5

2005 - 20/14/2/2

2007 - 18/11/3/2 *more apg than tp*

2013 - 19/12/1/1

2014 15/10/2/1 * KL MVP with..17/6/2/1...LOL*

Sean Cagney
06-16-2016, 07:26 PM

Damn he was a beast in that Clippers series! It seems like forever ago seeing him play at that level but it was just last year. You are right. He started to fall off this year when the other knee went, after that it was downhill for Timmay.
2003 Tim was a problem, a different planet he came from.

Keepin' it real
06-16-2016, 08:00 PM
2 - 19/12/3/3

4 - 23/17/2/7

5- 29/17/4/4

avg 24/17/5/5

lol

Journeyman stats ... I can see why they were excluded. :downspin:

eDizzle20
06-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Plain and simple it will seem unreal when Duncan hangs it up. I would love to see prime Duncan feast on all the current turd towers.

HI-FI
06-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Shit, hope both him and Manu come back one more year. Part of that is my own selfishness for not going to a game the past 2 seasons, plus I don't want them in the same induction as Kobe.

K...
06-16-2016, 08:34 PM
They should let Duncan play against the Lakers and only the Lakers. Make that happen Adam silver

baseline bum
06-16-2016, 08:41 PM

If Tim had been able to play at that level this season I'd have been at the Riverwalk watching a fucking parade today.

tmtcsc
06-16-2016, 08:52 PM

No shit, right? Tim wasn't playing for $$ at the end of his career. The guy loves to play & loves to win. That's why he took less than market value for years.

tmtcsc
06-16-2016, 08:55 PM
If he wants to retire without fan fare, it would need to be now.

SAGirl
06-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Good article in bballbreakdown
http://bballbreakdown.com/2016/05/12/if-the-spurs-have-any-answers-left-it-begins-with-where-it-started-tim-duncan/ An excerpt that comments on TD struggles in the OkC series.

Duncan’s longevity is owed to a lot of different factors, but it’s been his ability to constantly reinvent himself that’s kept him relevant. Since 2010, Duncan has worked to restructure his body and game. Conceding things to age, rather than outright fighting it. In doing so, he was never going to get the same glorious spotlight ending that a Kobe Bryant got, fighting tooth and nail to defy Father Time one last time.Tim Duncan’s end was always going to be about making one adjustment after another until there were no more to be made.
“When he doesn’t think he can, he’ll stop. It might be in the middle of a game,” Popovich once said. “I can see him walking off the court saying, ‘Nah, I’m not pulling my weight anymore. I’m gone.’ And he’ll walk.”
Duncan can still get off his screen, catch the ball on the move, and make all the split-second reads. But he lacks the lift to finish in traffic, and the brakes needed to halt momentum and get a soft touch on those flip shots. His jumper has all but abandoned him, cramping the Spurs spacing with only Danny Green as a feared spot-up shooter in the starting lineup with Leonard working inside the paint so often. And while he still positions himself well contesting shots, he’s also bumped off his mark, and often to the floor.:depressed

But so long as he’s a non-threat finishing, he’s also another body to help off of—a rotation point the Thunder big men, notorious for their inability to follow complex actions, don’t have to track.
A few years ago, when Duncan first started to show his age, he promised to keep playing until the wheels fell off. Each year since, he’s spent the summer training and tinkering; assessing his limitations and improving upon the things he could still do well on the court and maintaining his baseline of play. Now, those wheels finally appear to be wobbling.

Kidd K
06-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Man, it always sucks to see one of your all time favorites retiring. . . .

If he does retire this season. . .well thank you for the memories Timmy. I'll always consider him a legend.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2016, 09:57 PM
finals - pts/reb/ast/blk

1999- 27/14/2/2

2003 - 24/17/5/5

2005 - 20/14/2/2

2013 - 19/12/1/1

That man showed up big for every finals he was in, even at 38 years old. LEGEND.

Russ
06-16-2016, 10:28 PM
finals - pts/reb/ast/blk

TD should have been the only player to win Finals MVP in three different decades. :bang

DJR210
06-16-2016, 10:40 PM
What's your point? He's not righteous enough for your standards? Shouldn't be allowed to make a living? I don't even know if there's any truth to your statement, but who gives a rat fuck?

Have a couple of drinks and chill the fuck out.

:lol is Buck your father or what? You're here going off white knighting men telling others to chill?

:lol looks like you need the drink, im sure Buck would knock back a dozen or so with you

cjw
06-16-2016, 10:40 PM
TD should have been the only player to win Finals MVP in three different decades. :bang

He was apparently on a majority of ballots when 6 happened

Keepin' it real
06-16-2016, 11:28 PM

LBJ should have won MVP in 2014. 28 / 8 / 4

No one else was close. Last year was even worse. He should have won it twice in defeat.

tmtcsc
06-16-2016, 11:37 PM

I beg to differ. Those are GODLY stats.

Kawhitstorm
06-17-2016, 12:25 AM
finals - pts/reb/ast/blk

1999- 27/14/2/2

2003 - 24/17/5/5

2005 - 20/14/2/2

2013 - 19/12/1/1

As if Kawhi wasn't the best player after the series was tied 1-1, might as well have been 0-0 & the best of 5. Kawhi cucked LeBron in Gm 3 which was the turning point of the series. Iggy meanwhile won the MVP despite LeBron dominating the series.

Kawhitstorm
06-17-2016, 12:26 AM

Turnobili wouldn't let it happen in 2013

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-17-2016, 01:11 AM
I beg to differ. Those are GODLY stats.

True either way no mere mortal could compile such numbers...

TheGreatYacht
06-17-2016, 02:00 AM

barakz21
06-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Just curious, if that does happen, can Tim still resign with the Spurs and THEN retire shortly after? Kind of like in the NFL

edit: this is with regards to chinook's scenario. I missed the reply with quote button lol

Chinook
06-17-2016, 05:13 AM
Just curious, if that does happen, can Tim still resign with the Spurs and THEN retire shortly after? Kind of like in the NFL

edit: this is with regards to chinook's scenario. I missed the reply with quote button lol

Legally, no. You can't re-sign with the team that trades you for a year. But since you're talking about one-day ceremonial contracts, I don't think anyone cares about the CBA in regards to those.

therealtruth
06-17-2016, 05:42 AM

No Pop wouldn't let it happen. Why would you bench the Finals MVP on the crucial defensive possessions you need to close the game? Pop even illegally substituted to bench him.

Chillen
06-17-2016, 05:51 AM
Well if Timmy retires try and sign Pau Gasol, you can't replace an all-time great player like Tim, but Pau would help fill the void for sure.

TheGoldStandard
06-17-2016, 08:01 AM
No Pop wouldn't let it happen. Why would you bench the Finals MVP on the crucial defensive possessions you need to close the game? Pop even illegally substituted to bench him.

:pop: It was the system I tell you, it was always the system.

lefty
06-17-2016, 10:19 AM
It's ok my friend
You still have Arsenal

https://media.giphy.com/media/wZ6Xn2KlOjQbu/giphy.gif

Jdspur20
06-17-2016, 12:09 PM
By what date does Tim and many have to inform the Spurs?

Maddog
06-17-2016, 12:48 PM
By what date does Tim and many have to inform the Spurs?

Spurs key dates

Wednesday: Deadline for Manu Ginobili ($2.94 million) and David West ($1.55 million) to opt in to the final season of their contracts.

Thursday: NBA draft — Spurs hold one pick, No. 29 overall.

June 29: Deadline for Tim Duncan ($5.64 million) to opt in to the final season of his contract.

June 30: Full value of Boris Diaw’s $7 million becomes guaranteed. The Spurs owe him only $3 million if waived by this date.

July 1: Free agency opens.

July 6: Free agents permitted to formally sign new contracts.

Within 2 weeks we'll know a lot

SAGirl
06-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Spurs key dates

Wednesday: Deadline for Manu Ginobili ($2.94 million) and David West ($1.55 million) to opt in to the final season of their contracts.

June 29: Deadline for Tim Duncan ($5.64 million) to opt in to the final season of his contract.

June 30: Full value of Boris Diaw’s $7 million becomes guaranteed. The Spurs owe him only $3 million if waived by this date.

Within 2 weeks we'll know a lot
D west already declined his option I believe.

Jonathon Simmons contract. When does it become guaranteed? June 30 too?

Maddog
06-17-2016, 02:13 PM
D west already declined his option I believe.

Jonathon Simmons contract. When does it become guaranteed? June 30 too?

I think D West said he was declining, but not sure it has "officially" happened. Could be wrong. Not sure about Simmons. Given his contract I would be shocked if it isn't pick up. I'm far from convinced he'll ever be a regular contributor, but he is cheap enough and flashed enough potential to stay.

Jdspur20
06-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Got it, thanks!

SpurPadre
06-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Kawhi's missed free throw in Game 6 says hi.

Kawhitstorm
06-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Kawhi's missed free throw in Game 6 says hi.
Kawhi was shooting 63% at the line in the playoffs went 3/4 (75%) from the line.:wakeup
I didn't bring up Manu splitting FTs in Gm 6 b/c he was splitting FTs the entire postseason.:wakeup

Turnobili committed 8 turnovers in Gm 6 & topped himself by turning the ball over to seal Gm 7.:lol

0:27.9
San Antonio full timeout

88-92

0:27.9
G. Neal (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nealga01.html) enters the game for T. Parker (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01.html)

88-92

0:23.8
Turnover by M. Ginobili (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html) (bad pass; steal by L. James (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html))

88-92

0:23.5

88-92

Personal foul by T. Duncan (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html) (drawn by L. James (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html))

88-93
+1
L. James (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html) makes free throw 1 of 2

T. Parker (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01.html) enters the game for G. Neal (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nealga01.html)

88-93

88-94
+1
L. James (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html) makes free throw 2 of 2

0:18.9
M. Ginobili (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html) misses 3-pt shot from 26 ft

88-94

0:16.9

88-94

Defensive rebound by D. Wade (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html)

0:16.3

88-94

Personal foul by D. Green (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenda02.html) (drawn by D. Wade (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html))

88-95
+1
D. Wade (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html) makes free throw 1 of 2

88-95

D. Wade (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html) misses free throw 2 of 2

0:14.9

88-95

Offensive rebound by S. Battier (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/battish01.html)

0:00.0
End of 4th quarter

T_L_P
06-17-2016, 03:26 PM
LBJ should have won MVP in 2014. 28 / 8 / 4

No one else was close. Last year was even worse. He should have won it twice in defeat.

I get 2015, but are you being serious with 2014? Half his points were in garbage time. His team lost in one of the most embarrassing fashions in NBA history.

Nobody's winning FMVP on the losing team if they can't win more than 1 game. Idiot.

Kawhitstorm
06-17-2016, 03:51 PM
I get 2015, but are you being serious with 2014? Half his points were in garbage time. His team lost in one of the most embarrassing fashions in NBA history.

Nobody's winning FMVP on the losing team if they can't win more than 1 game. Idiot.

Kawhi haters are worse than LeBron haters.:lol

DPG21920
06-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Just keep in mind, as Jeff McDonald just tweeted, that even if Manu/Tim decline options that doesn't mean they are retiring. It could mean that, but even if they decline their options they can still re-sign another deal (bigger or smaller) as well.

barakz21
06-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Legally, no. You can't re-sign with the team that trades you for a year. But since you're talking about one-day ceremonial contracts, I don't think anyone cares about the CBA in regards to those.

I see. To be fair though, I haven't really seen your scenario in the NFL, but I did see some ceremonial signings, just not coming off of trades and buyouts. Anyway, thanks for clarifying on that one though.

Cklbmk
06-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Can't we just get him a pair of Heelys?

Then he won't have any problems keeping up

spurs10
06-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Spurs key dates

Within 2 weeks we'll know a lot Hey man I heard the 22nd was when we'd hear about whether Manu and Tim were opting in to their contracts. I heard the 29th was the deadline for West. Maybe someone got it wrong. I'd have thought the opt in deadline would be the same for all of them.

spurtech09
06-18-2016, 01:23 AM
one more year.....one more year....one more year

Sean Cagney
06-18-2016, 02:43 AM
I still have no clue in hell what Pop was thinking at the end of that game when you need one board and the guy has 17 of them already.......

Keepin' it real
06-18-2016, 07:55 AM
I still have no clue in hell what Pop was thinking at the end of that game when you need one board and the guy has 17 of them already.......

Then maybe you haven't been paying attention the past 20 seasons. Pop is all about his system and about matchups. They go big, we'll go big. They go small, we'll go small. In the 2013 finals, Pop did the same thing he'd done all season: sit Tim in crunch time when defending smaller lineups and/or when needing to defend the 3 point line. He was only one rebound away from ultimate success. Not bad if you ask me.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 09:26 AM
:pop: There is no great person on this team than Tim Duncan... unless you include me in which case.. It's all about the system.

K...
06-18-2016, 09:48 AM
:pop: There is no great person on this team than Tim Duncan... unless you include me in which case.. It's all about the system.

No Duncan was assimilated into the system around 2007. Only Parker and 2015 Boris are truly free.

Sean Cagney
06-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Then maybe you haven't been paying attention the past 20 seasons. Pop is all about his system and about matchups. They go big, we'll go big. They go small, we'll go small. In the 2013 finals, Pop did the same thing he'd done all season: sit Tim in crunch time when defending smaller lineups and/or when needing to defend the 3 point line. He was only one rebound away from ultimate success. Not bad if you ask me.
They had Bosh out there so they were not completely small. Just because he does it doesn't mean it works or makes sense, of course at times some of the things he does is not going to work because that is life and it back fires. I still think if Tim was out there they win, but that is heresay and it happened and they avenged it the next year so all is good. I have watched the past 20 years, Pop is a genius at times and at times rides things too far and it's puzzling, take the good with the bad. I know he did that all season too, that time it back fired though and Bosh got the board off a freakish bounce and the rest is history.

I am glad it worked out the way it did though in the end, the beat down the next year and the story line was unbelievable on that one.

therealtruth
06-18-2016, 01:16 PM
They had Bosh out there so they were not completely small. Just because he does it doesn't mean it works or makes sense, of course at times some of the things he does is not going to work because that is life and it back fires. I still think if Tim was out there they win, but that is heresay and it happened and they avenged it the next year so all is good. I have watched the past 20 years, Pop is a genius at times and at times rides things too far and it's puzzling, take the good with the bad. I know he did that all season too, that time it back fired though and Bosh got the board off a freakish bounce and the rest is history.

I am glad it worked out the way it did though in the end, the beat down the next year and the story line was unbelievable on that one.

I agree 100%. If TD is out there they win. He's the defensive anchor. He would have made sure everyone was in their spots and that they got the rebound. Also like you said they had no one big enough to box out Bosh so he easily got the rebound. Like I said if Pop hadn't been allowed to illegally substitute TD would have been forced to be out there.

Sean Cagney
06-18-2016, 01:19 PM
I agree 100%. If TD is out there they win. He's the defensive anchor. He would have made sure everyone was in their spots and that they got the rebound. Also like you said they had no one big enough to box out Bosh so he easily got the rebound. Like I said if Pop hadn't been allowed to illegally substitute TD would have been forced to be out there.

True.

Taking it to the Hole
06-18-2016, 06:16 PM
I just don't see Tim wanting to leave especially after the way we lost this past playoffs. I think he has too much competitiveness in him to just walk away. I think he knows the team could have played better and I can see him wanting to give just one more year to get back on top. I think the only way he does come back though is if the front office is willing to do whatever is necessary to make the team not just compete with OKC and GS but to beat them. It may require Pop to have to change his thinking and we all know how difficult that is for him to do? I really think if Manu decides to come back then so will Tim. Just one last ride Tim. PLEASE.

Ice009
06-19-2016, 10:02 AM

I don't recall the substitution as I haven't gone back to watch it, ever. Was it really an illegal sub?

skulls138
06-19-2016, 12:24 PM
I just don't see Tim wanting to leave especially after the way we lost this past playoffs. I think he has too much competitiveness in him to just walk away. I think he knows the team could have played better and I can see him wanting to give just one more year to get back on top. I think the only way he does come back though is if the front office is willing to do whatever is necessary to make the team not just compete with OKC and GS but to beat them. It may require Pop to have to change his thinking and we all know how difficult that is for him to do? I really think if Manu decides to come back then so will Tim. Just one last ride Tim. PLEASE.Depending on how bad his knees really are I say hell yeah, one more season. I think another year with TD will help LMA learn how to be a more complete C/PF. LMA can score for sure and defend but Timmy didnt seem to seperate scoring, defense, rebounds, it was all one big package, including boxing out and setting screens.

skulls138
06-19-2016, 12:37 PM
I agree 100%. If TD is out there they win. He's the defensive anchor. He would have made sure everyone was in their spots and that they got the rebound. Also like you said they had no one big enough to box out Bosh so he easily got the rebound. Like I said if Pop hadn't been allowed to illegally substitute TD would have been forced to be out there.That really was Pops worse moment. I also think he made the same mistake this year. Whats worse about it was not only the bad decision and overthinking but the lack of respect. That TD stays classy about it says that much more about him.

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 01:38 PM
buck harvey is overrated. td isn't hanging it up yet. neither is manu.