PDA

View Full Version : Is Pop's importance waning in "today's NBA"?

Keepin' it real
06-17-2016, 12:00 AM
2015 ... rookie coach wins NBA title.
2016 ... rookie coach hired mid-season is one game from winning NBA title.

How much longer will Pop continue to command so much reverence, given that inexperienced coaches can now come in and win right away?

SuperCam
06-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Don't sleep on Lue... he had the balls to stick the corpse of Dahnt:loly Jones out there for real minutes, and get an actual impact out of him. :wow Poop chose to die with D-Worst while letting Boban rot on the bench :bang

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2016, 12:12 AM
This isn't anything new, there have been many mediocre coaches that have won titles..it's a player's league..

Nathan89
06-17-2016, 12:15 AM
The team wasn't good enough. Too much dead weight. New coaches happen to be on the three most stacked teams.

TheGreatYacht
06-17-2016, 02:02 AM
The team wasn't good enough. Too much dead weight. New coaches happen to be on the three most stacked teams.
Bullshit.

DJR210
06-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Let's give credit where credit is due.. The thunderefs had a pretty solid performance this year for the NBA

kobyz
06-17-2016, 02:55 AM
They are not just a rookie coaches, it's rookie coaches who went under Phil, so they've got much more winning mentality than Pop who is the biggest chocker coach ever...

PublicOption
06-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Why is our coach the only coach that wont say anything about the refs?

K...
06-17-2016, 07:44 AM
LeBron isn't a rookie coach.

TheGoldStandard
06-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Pop has been irrelevant for some time now. There are too many situations where he's tried to seize the moment away from the players with his mumbo jumbo and cost the team opportunities to ring. Those situations have outweighed the positives he's managed to bungle his way through.

TDomination
06-17-2016, 11:36 AM
I mean we've had a lot of great years with Pop, 2014 being the most recent. 19+ years of 50+ wins, 5 titles, best record in franchise history this past year with new players in the lineup. I don't know if I would consider that waning.

Only 1 coach wins the championship every year so that means that every other coach in the NBA is a loser.

We get frustrated with him especially lately, but there may be realistically only 3 or 4 coaches who are better (and even most of them are fishing as we speak)

Like others have said, its a players league. This year, our players just failed to hit a shot at the end of a game, can't blame Pop for that. If we hit literally 1 or 2 shots more, we'd make the WCF.

dabom
06-17-2016, 11:46 AM
I mean we've had a lot of great years with Pop, 2014 being the most recent. 19+ years of 50+ wins, 5 titles, best record in franchise history this past year with new players in the lineup. I don't know if I would consider that waning.

Only 1 coach wins the championship every year so that means that every other coach in the NBA is a loser.

We get frustrated with him especially lately, but there may be realistically only 3 or 4 coaches who are better (and even most of them are fishing as we speak)

Like others have said, its a players league. This year, our players just failed to hit a shot at the end of a game, can't blame Pop for that. If we hit literally 1 or 2 shots more, we'd make the WCF.

Players league but pop playing west and fathead over Duncan/Kawhi. :lmao

Pop is a shitty coach now. Time to get used to it. Might be getting a little senile too.

dabom
06-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Up 6, 4 minutes left in the first, in come Fathead for Kawhi. :lmao

Sure. The players fault. :lol

dabom
06-17-2016, 11:48 AM
:lol every time some media head counts Pop as a plus in the series. :lmao

TheGoldStandard
06-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Up 6, 4 minutes left in the first, in come Fathead for Kawhi. :lmao

Sure. The players fault. :lol

:pop: He was playing outside the system.. making too many baskets.

TDomination
06-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Players league but pop playing west and fathead over Duncan/Kawhi. :lmao

Pop is a shitty coach now. Time to get used to it. Might be getting a little senile too.

I agree some lineups were terrible but even then players have to execute. At the end of game 5 we had a lead and had our starting 5 out there but they just couldn't hit a shot. Where was our leader Kawhi, or the big name we got in the offseason Lamarcus? Gotta execute

We got the steal at the end of game 2. Cmon, they couldn't find a way to hit a shot?

I agree Pop is past his prime and makes questionable decisions but I don't agree that hes a terrible coach.

He's still better than most and I have a feeling we might end up going through a coaching carousel once he leaves and its gonna suck.

dabom
06-17-2016, 12:12 PM
I agree some lineups were terrible but even then players have to execute. At the end of game 5 we had a lead and had our starting 5 out there but they just couldn't hit a shot. Where was our leader Kawhi, or the big name we got in the offseason Lamarcus? Gotta execute

We got the steal at the end of game 2. Cmon, they couldn't find a way to hit a shot?

I agree Pop is past his prime and makes questionable decisions but I don't agree that hes a terrible coach.

He's still better than most and I have a feeling we might end up going through a coaching carousel once he leaves and its gonna suck.

You make a little example but Pop lost this series by himself. Nothing on Kawhi or LMA.

dabom
06-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Kawhi had a WS/48 of .300 for this series. No one in the series even comes close that played big minutes. Not even close...

dabom
06-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Kawhi had to be the best scorer, rebounder, defender, stealer, shot blocker, distributor this series and people ask that he "show up" cause he only scored 22. :lmao

Tully365
06-17-2016, 12:45 PM
Pop's on record saying he doesn't like the 3 pt shot, and it really shows... Parker, at this point in his career, should shoot double or triple the threes he does. He's above 40% for the past two seasons and above 37% for the past three... he's very capable in that regard now. Him shooting threes would open up space for others to operate, and extend his value as a PG. Kawhi led the league for a good chunk of the season in 3ptFG% but was something like 60th in attempts... that makes no sense.

SpursforSix
06-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Pop's on record saying he doesn't like the 3 pt shot, and it really shows... Parker, at this point in his career, should shoot double or triple the threes he does. He's above 40% for the past two seasons and above 37% for the past three... he's very capable in that regard now. Him shooting threes would open up space for others to operate, and extend his value as a PG. Kawhi led the league for a good chunk of the season in 3ptFG% but was something like 60th in attempts... that makes no sense.

It makes sense because they are mostly taking wide open threes. Leonard might be able to shoot more and still keep a respectable %. But Parker doesn't have the lift ,or shot mechanics, for that matter to be able to shoot over people at a high %.

Mikeanaro
06-17-2016, 04:21 PM
It makes sense because they are mostly taking wide open threes. Leonard might be able to shoot more and still keep a respectable %. But Parker doesn't have the lift ,or shot mechanics, for that matter to be able to shoot over people at a high %.
Agreed but it still has a price, we are not a 3pt shooting team anymore...we used to be awesome at that (2014) but out guys sucks, Boris Patty Danny Green Bonner KA is too slow and they dont have balls to do a thing.
First we must change the coach and then the players, Pop is old and uninterested at yelling and trying to win playoff games, even scrub coaches pay the fine for criticize the officializing but not Pops even when they stole 2 games from us.

spursistan
06-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Pop just got carried by prime Duncan for most part..nothing to see..

TD 21
06-17-2016, 05:00 PM
I love the "it's a players league" cliche, as if to insinuate that there's one that isn't (though coaches do play a role). I know most Americans have been brainwashed into thinking football coaches are practically gods, but they win championships the same way coaches in every sport do: with all-time greats leading the way.

If Pop's importance has waned, it's because the league has now copied/caught up with the Spurs and many of the key players either aged or further aged.

The media always oversold him and undersold the players though, because they looked at them post Duncan's prime and couldn't fathom how a team without a superstar and a bunch of guys they'd never heard of, could be arguably the best in the league.

turkish spurs fan
06-17-2016, 10:01 PM
how much is popovich earning per year?

lefty
06-18-2016, 12:10 AM
how much is popovich earning per year?
More than Galatasaray

turkish spurs fan
06-18-2016, 12:44 AM
More than Galatasaray

more than galatasaray basketball team's budget possibly.

dabom
06-18-2016, 12:45 AM
More than Galatasaray

:lol

T Park
06-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Don't sleep on Lue... he had the balls to stick the corpse of Dahnt:loly Jones out there for real minutes, and get an actual impact out of him. :wow Poop chose to die with D-Worst while letting Boban rot on the bench :bang

Yes Boban is the reason they didnt move on.

A player who couldnt guard a pick and roll to save his life, against a team that runs pick and roll, wouldve saved the season.

Brilliant.

T Park
06-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Agreed but it still has a price, we are not a 3pt shooting team anymore...we used to be awesome at that (2014) but out guys sucks, Boris Patty Danny Green Bonner KA is too slow and they dont have balls to do a thing.
First we must change the coach and then the players, Pop is old and uninterested at yelling and trying to win playoff games, even scrub coaches pay the fine for criticize the officializing but not Pops even when they stole 2 games from us.

pop is uninterested in yelling?

Oh what fucking planet do you live on?

He was practically hoarse in game 5 against OKC....

Obstructed_View
06-18-2016, 02:22 PM
The real question should be about who will take the torch and carry it forward. Pop's value as an X and O coach can be debated, but his position as a standard-bearer for a winning, unselfish, professional culture which has contributed to five titles is very important.

Mikeanaro
06-18-2016, 02:29 PM
pop is uninterested in yelling?

Oh what fucking planet do you live on?

He was practically hoarse in game 5 against OKC....
Yeah, especially in the press conference...
Old man is not hungry anymore, thats why Bonner is still on the team.
Also lets not forget dumb matchups like Patty on Durant and weird lineups like that, dude is done it happens.

tholdren
06-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Kawhi had a WS/48 of .300 for this series. No one in the series even comes close that played big minutes. Not even close...
yet KL had some of the most non-existent 4th Qs of all time.

therealtruth
06-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Pop has been irrelevant for some time now. There are too many situations where he's tried to seize the moment away from the players with his mumbo jumbo and cost the team opportunities to ring. Those situations have outweighed the positives he's managed to bungle his way through.

Pop has no killer instinct. The last time he showed one was in '14 and it seemed like it took the disappointment of '13 to get one. If he wants to let the players decide the game he needs to play the best players 40+ min when required and not throw out bad lineups.

Keepin' it real
06-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Lol seeing Tye Lue on the stage as head coach of the NBA champions. Such a contrast from Coach Pop.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-19-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm telling you guys, the only people who think coaches can make the different between a 45 and 65 win team are football fans who start watching basketball after the NFL season is over and have no idea what they're talking about. Coaching is important but at the end of the day, players run systems and players win games.

T Park
06-20-2016, 02:48 AM
Yeah, especially in the press conference...
Old man is not hungry anymore, thats why Bonner is still on the team.
Also lets not forget dumb matchups like Patty on Durant and weird lineups like that, dude is done it happens.

*yawn* heard the same bullshit in 2011 2012 2008 2009 2010.

Keep walking kid.

Mikeanaro
06-20-2016, 03:08 AM
*yawn* heard the same bullshit in 2011 2012 2008 2009 2010.

Keep walking kid.
And it was the truth, Pop is done as a coach and his stupid micro management doesnt work anymore.
Also Tim is done they gave him plenty of rest before the playoffs and he played very few minutos, those knees are not getting any younger, Manu is older, those 2 cant save Popīs stupid ass anymore, grumpy old man is exposed.

Mikeanaro
06-20-2016, 03:11 AM
Pop has no killer instinct. The last time he showed one was in '14 and it seemed like it took the disappointment of '13 to get one. If he wants to let the players decide the game he needs to play the best players 40+ min when required and not throw out bad lineups.
Bad lineups and 12 players, jack of all trades master of none.

DenialTwist
06-20-2016, 06:38 AM
The only way to fix this is to promote Becky Hammon to take Pop's place so the spurs can win another title with a rookie head coach.

james evans
06-20-2016, 01:19 PM
All I have to say is Diaw/Mills/West/Ginobli lineup

kobyz
06-20-2016, 02:13 PM
We need to find some Phil Jackson student to replace Pop, Rick Fox anyone?

T Park
06-20-2016, 06:52 PM
And it was the truth, Pop is done as a coach and his stupid micro management doesnt work anymore.
Also Tim is done they gave him plenty of rest before the playoffs and he played very few minutos, those knees are not getting any younger, Manu is older, those 2 cant save Popīs stupid ass anymore, grumpy old man is exposed.

Yeah coaches that are done always coach to almost back to back championships a couple years ago.

Die Ina fire

T Park
06-20-2016, 06:52 PM
All I have to say is Diaw/Mills/West/Ginobli lineup

When you don't have a good defensive big man that's what you're reduced to

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2016, 07:16 PM
When you don't have a good defensive big man that's what you're reduced to

Duncan's other knee issue really hurt them but it's a blessing in disguise.. Makes them truly address an issue that was a glaring hole.

Mikeanaro
06-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Yeah coaches that are done always coach to almost back to back championships a couple years ago.

Die Ina fire
A couple years ago with Duncan and Ginobili still having some game, and now losing in first and second rounds with well rested squads get real he is hurting the team git reil nig.

T Park
06-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Duncan's other knee issue really hurt them but it's a blessing in disguise.. Makes them truly address an issue that was a glaring hole.

If there was someone available I'd be all for it.

Ian Mahinmi might be the best available. Eh,

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2016, 09:18 PM
If there was someone available I'd be all for it.

Ian Mahinmi might be the best available. Eh,

Still think the draft is the best source for recovery at the Center position. Now, will it yield someone that will be super productive right away? Nah, but it'll at least give them another piece they can bring along off the bench to get help. Milutinov, Draft pick guy and Duncan for one more year could suffice.

This is assuming they are going to move someone to get another pick in the draft.

YGWHI
06-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Pop has no killer instinct.

Agree. Through his career, Pop's record in elimination games is 2-11...Even with prime Tim/Parker/Manu, he lost those games.

Keepin' it real
06-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Agree. Through his career, Pop's record in elimination games is 2-11...Even with prime Tim/Parker/Manu, he lost those games.

Better teams win 7 game series. Always.
:pop: