PDA

View Full Version : Cap to Rise to $94 million according to report.

cd021
06-18-2016, 12:56 PM
bleacherreport.com/articles/2647052-nbas-salary-cap-for-2016-17-season-reportedly-rises-to-94-million

Great news. Spurs have $85.05 million committed to 11 players, 12 if they use their first rounder. If the report is true then the Spurs could have $8 million in cap space. If Duncan does retire then the Spurs could have $13.4 million to go after an FA. They could then fill out their roster with Bertans and West after using up the cap space.

dabom
06-18-2016, 01:00 PM
West? :lmao

HarlemHeat37
06-18-2016, 01:00 PM
They need another playmaking PG or SG, a competent big and at least 1 more shooter..serious holes..

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 01:07 PM
They need another playmaking PG or SG, a competent big and at least 1 more shooter..serious holes..

:pop: Kyle has a lot of roles to fill this season

dabom
06-18-2016, 01:13 PM
:pop: Kyle has a lot of roles to fill this season

Does Harlem no see Fathead can fill out the PG and SG positions with ease? :lmao

Spurs9
06-18-2016, 01:18 PM
:lol west :wow

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 01:22 PM

:pop: An experienced Milsap.. Told him to lose some weight so I can play him at the 3

baseline bum
06-18-2016, 01:23 PM
It sounds like Tim is retiring, and with him Manu probably walks too. That leaves the Spurs salary commitments looking like

Aldrdige: $20.575M
Leonard: $17.638M
Parker: $14.445M
Green: $10.000M
Mills: $3.2000M
Diaw: $3.000M buyout
Anderson: $1.192M
6 roster spots under 12: $3.261M

TOTAL $73.311M
CAPSPACE: $20.7M

With Durant's max being $26.4 million they could actually clear the salary cap space to make a run at him with just Diaw, Mills, and Anderson salary dumps.

dbestpro
06-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Some teams may struggle to get to the minimum and will take on a few over paid contracts that do not have too many years left. Just saying.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 01:36 PM
If Tim and Manu opt out but decide to re-sign for the minimum what is that price tag?

T Park
06-18-2016, 01:38 PM

Bertans solves the shooter issue. Milutinov if he does well in Summer league takes Boban's place and Boban slides into West's spot.

Just leaves the play making guard/PG. That said I think Manu comes back for one more year and they maybe see if Duncan and Manu re negotiate at an even smaller salary or extend it out and go after Mike Conley

T Park
06-18-2016, 01:38 PM
It sounds like Tim is retiring, and with him Manu probably walks too. That leaves the Spurs salary commitments looking like

TOTAL $73.311M

With Durant's max being $26.4 million they could actually clear the salary cap space to make a run at him with just Diaw, Mills, and Anderson salary dumps.

What makes you think Duncan is retiring?

baseline bum
06-18-2016, 01:39 PM
What makes you think Duncan is retiring?

His knee injury and Harvey's article. I hope like hell Tim doesn't since he's irreplaceable, but it seems pretty likely. :depressed

cd021
06-18-2016, 01:41 PM
West? :lmao

Room exception is certainly possible for West. :lol people forgetting that he had an excellent record season for a vet min. player. Struggled in the playoffs.

West had the 4th highest P.E.R of Spurs players that played atleast 1000, minutes, which was much higher than Parker, Duncan, Greens, and Diaws.

P.E.R-17.6 (5th behind Kawhi, LMA, Manu and Boban)
Win Shares-1.84 (4th behind Kawhi, LMA, and Boban)
Net Rtg- +16 (3rd behind Leonard and Boban)

his advanced metrics were actually not awful in the PS

P.E.R-14.3
Win Shares-1.16
Net Rtg- +4

Bringing West back for the room exception (around $3 million per year over two seasons) is fine,: lol at people wanting to get rid of him because Pop put him and Diaw on the floor at the same time against an near historic rebounding team.

He is still clearly effective in a limited role off the bench, $3 million for a backup PF when the cap is at $94m and you two are complaining?

T Park
06-18-2016, 01:45 PM
His knee injury and Harvey's article. I hope like hell Tim doesn't since he's irreplaceable, but it seems pretty likely. :depressed

Yeah my fault i just now saw the article.

My opinion, which is worth jack shit, it seems like they dont know what hes going to decide.

The knee thing can be fixed with the appointment in Germany IMO. when the knee is good hes still very good as he showed when coming off that injury during the year.

Heck i'd tell him, get surgery or whatever to fix it, take your time rehabbing, and come back in February or March and get ready. Duncan is still a fantastic player and two years off of what he did in 2014. Players dont drop off a cliff talent wise without help and getting rid of the one knee pain fixes that.

Or he may not want to do it.

If he does retire, then they have a shot at Durant. If Durant doesnt come then you maybe hope Conley goes somewhere else and see if Memphis wants to rebuild and take on Gasol.

cd021
06-18-2016, 01:53 PM
If Tim and Manu opt out but decide to re-sign for the minimum what is that price tag?

That would put it at about $16.2 million if I am not mistaken. I did not take into account Diaw, If he is cut that is another $4 million off the books putting it at $19.7 (including the roster charge).

I could see a team like NOP taking his contract if the Spurs are willing to deal. I would think that they would have interest considering they will almost certainly lose Anderson because they do not want to sink so much money into their big man rotation (at $36.1 million already for next season).

I would love it if the Spurs could swing a draft night deal for the 39th and 40th picks while shipping out Diaws entire $7 million to NOP. The deal could not go through until 7/1/16 but they could agree in principle.

An idea that I floated in the draft thread would be to move Mills, Diaw + 29th pick to Phily for the 24th and 26th picks. Even if the spurs were to draft and sign both picks that would still save the team $8.3 million that would give the Spurs about $22.2 million in cap.

with Parker, Green, Leonard, Ginobili, Anderson, Simmons, Boban, Aldridge, 24th, 26th on the books heading into FA (10 players under contract)

dbestpro
06-18-2016, 01:54 PM
I think Tim Duncan is going to semi-retire. Meaning he will not sign a contract until mid-season, and take a prorated contract in January, or Feb. of next year, while replacing a back of the rotation guy. No need for him to go through a whole season. Just need him for a couple of months to get ready for the playoffs. Same thing could happen to Manu.

cd021
06-18-2016, 01:56 PM

TOTAL $73.311M

Mills is $3,578,948

Kawhitstorm
06-18-2016, 02:09 PM

TOTAL $73.311M

Durant is most likely staying in OKC for at least a year since they had the Duds on the canvas & he would also get a fatter contract in 2017 when he qualifies for the 10+ year vet max. PATFO going after Conley is unlikely considering they won't dump Porker thus it would be pretty dumb to commit 40 mill at PG for any duo other than Curry/Livingston.

Thus, if Tim/Manu retire I could see them going after Horford since he would slide into the starting spot & there won't be a log jam at the PF spot w/ D-Worst opting out. They could just dump Patty (since they need a PG on the roster who can ACTUALLY defend:rolleyes) & offer him less than the full max since there is no state income tax.

I doubt Kyle gets traded b/c of his cheap contract in an off-season where a player of his caliber would command at least the MLE. Buying out Diaw also might not be worth it since his 3 mill will still count against the cap & they won't be able to get a player of his caliber for 4 mills unless he re-signs for the vet minimum.:lol

If they choose to go the Horford route then I hope they use the Room Exception on Mozgov instead of Boban since the former provides what the team REALLY needs: rim protection (even Miles Plumlee is a better rim protector & can actually roll). As far as backup PG, they would have to address that through the draft w/ Gary Payton II & Brogdon being viable candidates, Brogdon being more of a high IQ Pop type of guy & also has the size to guard wings. They could pickup a shooter like Troy Daniels or an undrafted player for the vet minimum to play the Gary Neal role. It looks like Bertan could also replace Bonner & provide some much needed shooting.

For this to work, Kawhi has to be given the keys to the offense (ala Paul George) & be allowed to run PnRs w/ LMA/Horford which will be difficult to guard since they both can pop all the way to the 3 point line.

LMA/Mozgov or Plumlee
Horford/Diaw/Bertans
Kawhi/Kyle
Danny/Simmons/Troy Daniels
Porker/Brogdon

If Diaw gets in shape & motivated by his contract possibly being voided in 2017 then the Spurs would have a frontline that would be unmatched to mitigate the mediocre backcourt. They can't assemble a backourt good enough to match up w/ Klay/Curry so might as well smash GayMond like OKC w/ Horford/Diaw/LMA/Kawhi.

Horford/Mozgov & a motivated Diaw should be enough to overcome OKC. Kawhi owns Queen James so no need to sweat about matching up w/ Cavs as long as the Spurs get to the Finals.

Other options are Batum/Fournier to but they would have to come off the bench which won't be enticing to a premium FA when they are in their prime. Moving Danny for Batum/Fournier wouldn't be smart since he has a bargain contract but they would command the max. Marvin Williams could be had for about 15 mill but he's more suited for a Diaw type role since he's an undersized PF. If they could get Marvin/Pau for the 20 mill then they could dump Diaw & go after Greivis Vasquez as a Manu replacement for about 7 mill. This is actually a move that's more feasible since it's going to be hard to convince Horford's agent to leave a good chunk of money on the table when he could sign a fat contract w/ the Hawks.

If they can't get Pau then Cole Aldrich should be fine sharing minutes w/ Mozgov or Miles Plumlee.

Pau or Aldrich/Mozgov or Plumlee
LMA/Marvin/Bertans
Kawhi/Kyle
Danny/Vasquez/Simmons
Porker/Brogdon

de3ATHjLSeE

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 02:17 PM
I think Tim Duncan is going to semi-retire. Meaning he will not sign a contract until mid-season, and take a prorated contract in January, or Feb. of next year, while replacing a back of the rotation guy. No need for him to go through a whole season. Just need him for a couple of months to get ready for the playoffs. Same thing could happen to Manu.

Tim doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would do that. To me I think he evaluates if he still thinks he's productive with the direction the Spurs are headed, if his body will allow him to continue to play at a decent to high level and if the Spurs need him to return. Obviously Pop will want him back, aside from being a great anchor he's an awesome contributor in terms of knowledge of the game and a great leader. It will really come down to that knee.. If only modern science could somehow rebuild both his knees to at least 75% of what they used to be, my god.

Honestly, I think he comes back for 1 more season as a quiet farewell.

Chinook
06-18-2016, 03:03 PM
People are forgetting that the Spurs would probably stretch Diaw if they waive him. That's an extra $2.4 Million.

SD126
06-18-2016, 03:07 PM
People are forgetting that the Spurs would probably stretch Diaw if they waive him. That's an extra $2.4 Million.

Kawhitstorm
06-18-2016, 03:09 PM

I'm pretty sure a team like the Knicks/Nets would take him as a salary dump since they won't be a free agent destination, even the Hawks could possibly take him if they lose Horford.

Bryan Colangelo also traded for him when he was the Suns GM so the Sixers are another option.

r0drig0lac
06-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Horford is garbage (mainly to the max)

Kikoluna
06-18-2016, 04:50 PM

TOTAL $73.311M

Man, how is Kyle worth 1.1 m, I have him valued at 25,000 tops

Kikoluna
06-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Durant is most likely staying in OKC for at least a year since they had the Duds on the canvas & he would also get a fatter contract in 2017 when he qualifies for the 10+ year vet max. PATFO going after Conley is unlikely considering they won't dump Porker thus it would be pretty dumb to commit 40 mill at PG for any duo other than Curry/Livingston.

Thus, if Tim/Manu retire I could see them going after Horford since he would slide into the starting spot & there won't be a log jam at the PF spot w/ D-Worst opting out. They could just dump Patty (since they need a PG on the roster who can ACTUALLY defend:rolleyes) & offer him less than the full max since there is no state income tax.

I doubt Kyle gets traded b/c of his cheap contract in an off-season where a player of his caliber would command at least the MLE. Buying out Diaw also might not be worth it since his 3 mill will still count against the cap & they won't be able to get a player of his caliber for 4 mills unless he re-signs for the vet minimum.:lol

If they choose to go the Horford route then I hope they use the Room Exception on Mozgov instead of Boban since the former provides what the team REALLY needs: rim protection (even Miles Plumlee is a better rim protector & can actually roll). As far as backup PG, they would have to address that through the draft w/ Gary Payton II & Brogdon being viable candidates, Brogdon being more of a high IQ Pop type of guy & also has the size to guard wings. They could pickup a shooter like Troy Daniels or an undrafted player for the vet minimum to play the Gary Neal role. It looks like Bertan could also replace Bonner & provide some much needed shooting.

For this to work, Kawhi has to be given the keys to the offense (ala Paul George) & be allowed to run PnRs w/ LMA/Horford which will be difficult to guard since they both can pop all the way to the 3 point line.

LMA/Mozgov or Plumlee
Horford/Diaw/Bertans
Kawhi/Kyle
Danny/Simmons/Troy Daniels
Porker/Brogdon

If Diaw gets in shape & motivated by his contract possibly being voided in 2017 then the Spurs would have a frontline that would be unmatched to mitigate the mediocre backcourt. They can't assemble a backourt good enough to match up w/ Klay/Curry so might as well smash GayMond like OKC w/ Horford/Diaw/LMA/Kawhi.

Horford/Mozgov & a motivated Diaw should be enough to overcome OKC. Kawhi owns Queen James so no need to sweat about matching up w/ Cavs as long as the Spurs get to the Finals.

Other options are Batum/Fournier to but they would have to come off the bench which won't be enticing to a premium FA when they are in their prime. Moving Danny for Batum/Fournier wouldn't be smart since he has a bargain contract but they would command the max. Marvin Williams could be had for about 15 mill but he's more suited for a Diaw type role since he's an undersized PF. If they could get Marvin/Pau for the 20 mill then they could dump Diaw & go after Greivis Vasquez as a Manu replacement for about 7 mill. This is actually a move that's more feasible since it's going to be hard to convince Horford's agent to leave a good chunk of money on the table when he could sign a fat contract w/ the Hawks.

If they can't get Pau then Cole Aldrich should be fine sharing minutes w/ Mozgov or Miles Plumlee.

Pau or Aldrich/Mozgov or Plumlee
LMA/Marvin/Bertans
Kawhi/Kyle
Danny/Vasquez/Simmons
Porker/Brogdon

de3ATHjLSeE
Wtf, you said kyle " a player of his caliber will command"
I'll have what you are drinking

dabom
06-18-2016, 05:18 PM

I admire you reading all that and catching that. :lol

Kawhitstorm
06-18-2016, 05:45 PM

Under the new CBA an average starter is going to get 15 mill, so a 3rd stringer would be worth around 5 mill which is basically the MLE.

Kyle looked like a legit rotation player when he was feasting on backups of crappy playoffs teams like the Mavs/Grizz when they were fighting for their playoff lives so those teams would pay him 5+ mill to be their backup. (Kyle Singler might be the worst wing player in the league & he signed for the MLE)

Considering Harrison Barnes is going to get the max, Kyle getting 5 mill to be a backup isn't that bad. Based on Summer League, he has proven that he's the best 3rd stringer in the league not named Boban.

Allen Crabbe is going to get paid this offseason & Kyle gave him the business as he used to when they played in the Pac-10:

4CT4dAwahL4

ptOmh5LdrBo

K...
06-18-2016, 05:56 PM

as was pointed out ...... cap violation ,,,,,,thanks for being a cheap ass.

Kawhitstorm
06-18-2016, 06:11 PM

Rotation players PATFO can DEFINITELY sign on a budget:

Combo Guard: Vasquez

Competent big: Cole Aldrich

Shooters: Bertans / Troy Daniels

SAGirl
06-18-2016, 06:40 PM
I'd count Bertans as the shooter, but the big is a big question and apparently they are very invested with the development of their recently drafted bigs, but still probably need a veteran. For the playmaking guard they may be looking to the draft... It's going to require them being creative and drawing talent from several different sources. Cap restrictions probably means that one or two of these guys they add will be young like Bertans and not established commodities. Frankly the most difficult spot to fill up immediately is that big. The guys they may have drafted recently or in this draft are too young to rely on if Timmy retires. They need a veteran big who is still energetic enough to battle inside. It won't be cheap.

Kawhitstorm
06-18-2016, 07:01 PM
I'd count Bertans as the shooter, but the big is a big question and apparently they are very invested with the development of their recently drafted bigs, but still probably need a veteran. For the playmaking guard they may be looking to the draft... It's going to require them being creative and drawing talent from several different sources. Cap restrictions probably means that one or two of these guys they add will be young like Bertans and not established commodities. Frankly the most difficult spot to fill up immediately is that big. The guys they may have drafted recently or in this draft are too young to rely on if Timmy retires. They need a veteran big who is still energetic enough to battle inside. It won't be cheap.

bHE9YO6Fa90

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2016, 07:09 PM
bHE9YO6Fa90

:pop: Not over himself yet..

phxspurfan
06-18-2016, 08:45 PM
bleacherreport.com/articles/2647052-nbas-salary-cap-for-2016-17-season-reportedly-rises-to-94-million

Great news. Spurs have $85.05 million committed to 11 players, 12 if they use their first rounder. If the report is true then the Spurs could have $8 million in cap space. If Duncan does retire then the Spurs could have $13.4 million to go after an FA. They could then fill out their roster with Bertans and West after using up the cap space.

even less parity coming to the league. It's gonna be like baseball with the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers and then everyone else

Kikoluna
06-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Durant , leonard, Aldridge , green, conley. Plus 7 scrubs. We win.

dabom
06-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Durant , leonard, Aldridge , green, conley. Plus 7 scrubs. We win.

As long as those scrubs play few minutes(Porker and Fathead).

06-19-2016, 01:55 AM
A lot of holes to plug and not a lot of cap space to do it. I'm sensing a punt here. Re-sign Boban, sign Bertans, maybe sign Gasol if Duncan retires, pick up one of the cheaper bigs like Robinson, and try to acquire a decent back up point guard that can eventually replace Parker. None of the FA PG's are particularly exciting so might need to find one through a trade or the draft. Although by the time the drafted PG is ready, LMA will already be out of his prime.

Spurs still need a cheap shooting wing in case Green and Bertans suck.

Or... with $20 million in cap space after Duncan and Ginobili retire, that is enough to get Biyombo and have some money left over for Boban. Although I don't think the Spurs will take that kind of risk.

Kikoluna
06-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Spurs need to pursue Durant. Guarantees 3 rings.

cd021
06-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Under the new CBA an average starter is going to get 15 mill, so a 3rd stringer would be worth around 5 mill which is basically the MLE.

Kyle looked like a legit rotation player when he was feasting on backups of crappy playoffs teams like the Mavs/Grizz when they were fighting for their playoff lives so those teams would pay him 5+ mill to be their backup. (Kyle Singler might be the worst wing player in the league & he signed for the MLE)

Considering Harrison Barnes is going to get the max, Kyle getting 5 mill to be a backup isn't that bad. Based on Summer League, he has proven that he's the best 3rd stringer in the league not named Boban.

Allen Crabbe is going to get paid this offseason & Kyle gave him the business as he used to when they played in the Pac-10:

4CT4dAwahL4

ptOmh5LdrBo

Anderson is still developing, he is better than Cojo was at this point in their careers. Adding a consistent 3pt shot would go along way to making him a more consistently player. Some players take longer to develop. Cojo showed flashes but really did not look like an NBA player until his forth season. Anderson is already a better defender than was expected of him. He has two years left to show and prove and he is only going to make 1.1% of the cap this season. I'm fine with him on the team.

Kikoluna
06-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Did you just say that Kyle 13 minute mile Anderson is better than corey dunk on ibaka Joseph ? That's madness. At no point is that true. We all know Joseph is somewhat limited offensively but he is elite on defense. Kyle is worthless on both ends.

SAGirl
06-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Anderson is still developing, he is better than Cojo was at this point in their careers. Adding a consistent 3pt shot would go along way to making him a more consistently player. Some players take longer to develop. Cojo showed flashes but really did not look like an NBA player until his forth season. Anderson is already a better defender than was expected of him. He has two years left to show and prove and he is only going to make 1.1% of the cap this season. I'm fine with him on the team.
+ he's tremendous value in the RS bc he can legit play 3 positions, maybe the PG too in garbage time so he can eat a lot of minutes if you have injured players. He has also been healthy his two seasons. And he's still getting better like you said. It's really beyond discussing at this point.

look_at_g_shred
06-19-2016, 02:16 PM

look_at_g_shred
06-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Did you just say that Kyle 13 minute mile Anderson is better than corey dunk on ibaka Joseph ? That's madness. At no point is that true. We all know Joseph is somewhat limited offensively but he is elite on defense. Kyle is worthless on both ends.
lol

cd021
06-19-2016, 03:42 PM

:lol that was the end of Cojo's 3rd season, as I said he did not look like an real NBA player until his 4th year. And you did not bother to read the four lines that I read, I did not say that he was better than Cojo period, I said that he was better than Cojo at this point in their development.

Cojo

Net Rtg- -7
P.E.R.- 10.2
Win Shares per 48 minutes-.61
True Shooting %-.462
Per 36 Minutes- 9.75 ppg, 4.75 apg, 4.1 rpg 1.15 spg

Kyle Anderson-
Net Rtg- +4
P.E.R.- 11.9
Win Shares per 48 minutes-.113
True Shooting %-.49.2
Per 36 Minutes- 9.5 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.7 spg, .8 bpg,

FuzzyLumpkins
06-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Player development is a concept that is beyond many while looking at substitution patterns in game logs and +/- is relatively simple to follow and conceive. Add in some Pop emojis and you have the current ST conversation.

Kawhitstorm
01-02-2017, 09:26 AM
As far as backup PG, they would have to address that through the draft w/ Gary Payton II & Brogdon being viable candidates, Brogdon being more of a high IQ Pop type of guy & also has the size to guard wings. They could pickup a shooter like Troy Daniels or an undrafted player for the vet minimum to play the Gary Neal role. It looks like Bertan could also replace Bonner & provide some much needed shooting.

:wakeup

Robz4000
01-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Brogdon is pretty good and definitely the better player right now, but Murray looks to have the much higher ceiling tbh.

DPG21920
01-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Brogdon is pretty good and definitely the better player right now, but Murray looks to have the much higher ceiling tbh.

Yes. While it would have been nice to have both, Spurs went with the youth and higher ceiling. Nothing Murray has done from what I've seen/heard has made SA waiver on choosing him. Time will tell, but Murray has a nice ceiling.

Chinook
01-03-2017, 08:58 AM

I wanted Brogdon in the draft. But that's when I thought they weren't going to have Manu back. With them having a bit more time to develop a guy, I think going with the higher ceiling is best. They desperately need another above-average starter (someone who can at least garner some All-Star votes) to be able to grow behind and with Leonard.