PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to pursue Mike Conley in free agency

Pages : [1] 2

Indazone
06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Discuss

Report: Spurs to pursue Mike Conley in free agency

The San Antonio Spurs have already been linked to free-agent-to-be Kevin Durant, and may be setting their sights on another high-profile free agent this summer as well: Grizzlies point guard Mike Conley.

ESPN’s Marc Stein reports (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/730946665062895616) the Spurs intend to court Conley in July in addition to Durant. San Antonio was eliminated from the playoffs Thursday and faces some uncertainty this off-season surrounding the potential retirements of longtime stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

If those two players retire or opt out and restructure their deals, acquiring Conley could be possible thanks to the upcoming salary-cap spike. But such a move would affect the status of veteran starting point guard Tony Parker, 33, who would likely have to accept a bench role or have his contract — due to pay more than $14 million next season — moved to accommodate the younger Conley,
Despite injury problems, Conley averaged 15.3 points and 6.1 assists in 56 games this season.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/05/13/san-antonio-spurs-mike-conley-grizzlies-free-agency

SpursforSix
06-21-2016, 11:32 AM
Discuss

Report: Spurs to pursue Mike Conley in free agency

The San Antonio Spurs have already been linked to free-agent-to-be Kevin Durant, and may be setting their sights on another high-profile free agent this summer as well: Grizzlies point guard Mike Conley.

ESPN’s Marc Stein reports (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/730946665062895616) the Spurs intend to court Conley in July in addition to Durant. San Antonio was eliminated from the playoffs Thursday and faces some uncertainty this off-season surrounding the potential retirements of longtime stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

If those two players retire or opt out and restructure their deals, acquiring Conley could be possible thanks to the upcoming salary-cap spike. But such a move would affect the status of veteran starting point guard Tony Parker, 33, who would likely have to accept a bench role or have his contract — due to pay more than $14 million next season — moved to accommodate the younger Conley,
Despite injury problems, Conley averaged 15.3 points and 6.1 assists in 56 games this season.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/05/13/san-antonio-spurs-mike-conley-grizzlies-free-agency

I was just posting about Durant joining the Spurs. Wow...with Conley. That'd be quite a coup for the offseason.

Indazone
06-21-2016, 11:35 AM
I have a feeling the Spurs will make a spectacular move this summer. It will be eye popping.

random21
06-21-2016, 11:39 AM
I have a feeling the Spurs will make a spectacular move this summer. It will be eye popping.

Hope so... Spurs have a decent two with Kawhi/LMA as building blocks... Decent enough just with those 2 as 50+ wins for next couple of seasons...

TheGreatYacht
06-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Make it happen

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
:pop: Do you think you're better than Tony?

Mugen
06-21-2016, 11:49 AM
#AuRevoirTony

Let's make the Spurs great again this summer tbh.

NASpurs
06-21-2016, 11:49 AM
There seems to be many options that the Spurs could take this offseason be it through free agency, trades and the draft. We'll find out in the draft more or less what they're going to try and do.

NASpurs
06-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Btw most of these articles are old as fuck but still... doesn't mean they don't hold any truth.

JonNOKC
06-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Conley for the right price I like... I'm no expert on CBA - is there any sign and trade scenarios with Grizzlies that would be intriguing?

dabom
06-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Conley for the right price I like... I'm no expert on CBA - is there any sign and trade scenarios with Grizzlies that would be intriguing?

could they take tony?

SpursforSix
06-21-2016, 12:18 PM
could they take tony?

:pop: I'll be gone before Tony.

dabom
06-21-2016, 12:19 PM
:pop: I'll be gone before Tony.

:lol

Ice009
06-21-2016, 12:56 PM
What would the Spurs have to do to get both Durant and Conley? It is even possible to fit both in with some moves?

TXstbobcat
06-21-2016, 01:01 PM
could they take tony?

I don't think that they would want The $30 million left on Tony's contract enough to do a sign and trade.

TXstbobcat
06-21-2016, 01:03 PM
What would the Spurs have to do to get both Durant and Conley? It is even possible to fit both in with some moves?

Spurs would have to probably get rid of Diaw's, parker's and Green's salaries to even get close to possible

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Been saying it for a while on Twitter. Conley for TP in a Sign and trade makes sense for both sides. Only if Conley chooses to come here. Can't see Tony being okay with a 12-15 minute role, and can't see Spurs taking on 40 million or 40% of cap in salary at the PG position -- RC isn't that undisciplined.

SpursforSix
06-21-2016, 01:21 PM
I don't think that they would want The $30 million left on Tony's contract enough to do a sign and trade.

:pop: My bad.

06-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Do not want Conley for the max unless Parker is moved. Parker won't be moved.

Spurs should do everything they can to pursue Durant. But even if Duncan and Ginobili opt out and Diaw is cut, I don't think there is enough space to max Durant. That requires salary dumping a few players. Spurs were able to reach a wink wink agreement with the Hawks last year to take on Splitter in the event that LMA chooses the Spurs. But the Spurs may have to dump Green before Durant makes a decision. What would be plan B if Durant doesn't sign? The Spurs will be without Green.

Ice009
06-21-2016, 01:43 PM

Spurs should do everything they can to pursue Durant. But even if Duncan and Ginobili opt out and Diaw is cut, I don't think there is enough space to max Durant. That requires salary dumping a few players. Spurs were able to reach a wink wink agreement with the Hawks last year to take on Splitter in the event that LMA chooses the Spurs. But the Spurs may have to dump Green before Durant makes a decision. What would be plan B if Durant doesn't sign? The Spurs will be without Green.

This would be crazy, but if the Spurs really are looking at both KD and Conley for the max and dumping everyone else to open the slots, is there any reason they can't call up Lebron before going after Conley and ask him if he wants to form the biggest 4 in NBA history? Lebron, KD, LMA and Kawhi. Lebron and KD can be the playmakers while they just sign a defensive PG.

FvckMavs
06-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Yahoo said the cap would be 94m this year. If both Manu and TD opt out, Spurs should be able to give Durant max by dumping Patty, Diaw and Anderson.

Chillen
06-21-2016, 01:48 PM
This would be crazy, but if the Spurs really are looking at both KD and Conley for the max and dumping everyone else to open the slots, is there any reason they can't call up Lebron before going after Conley and ask him if he wants to form the biggest 4 in NBA history? Lebron, KD, LMA and Kawhi. Lebron and KD can be the playmakers while they just sign a defensive PG.

Nice pipedream, but seriously if that ever happened, even the Warriors would be scared as f**k of that lineup.

Juan
06-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Yahoo said the cap would be 94m this year. If both Manu and TD opt out, Spurs should be able to give Durant max by dumping Patty, Diaw and Anderson.

Would they be able to match an offer to keep Boban under this scenario or would he have to walk as well..?

Ice009
06-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Nice pipedream, but seriously if that ever happened, even the Warriors would be scared as f**k of that lineup.

lol, yeah, I'm just kind of dreaming for a little bit here. I was just joking that if the Spurs are looking to try and open up two max slots, why not just call KD and Lebron first before talking to Conley.

look_at_g_shred
06-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Dude if that's all it takes....damn

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2016, 01:51 PM

:pop: Was with you till you mentioned Kyle.. No deal.

Ice009
06-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Who else would the Spurs have to dump to get a second max slot, or close to a second max slot? Green and Parker?

Sean Cagney
06-21-2016, 01:52 PM

FvckMavs
06-21-2016, 01:53 PM
They need to dump both Green and Parker. Still not enough for two max slots.

Who would the Spurs have to dump to get a second max slot, or close to a second max slot? Green and Parker?

Nathan89
06-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Well a pg is a must if the Spurs want to be competitive this year. I hope we can get rid of TP if this is the plan.

Chillen
06-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Wow, if Durant want's to sign with the Spurs, doubt they think twice about doing that. Durant, Gasol, Conley would be a dream offseason for the Spurs.

06-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Someone posted that after Tim and Manu opt out and Diaw cut, the Spurs will have ~$20 million in cap space. Have to account for cap holds on open roster spots. Durant's max will be around $25-26 million. Moving Mills and Anderson might just barely not be enough.

Ice009
06-21-2016, 02:04 PM
They need to dump both Green and Parker. Still not enough for two max slots.

Would it be close though? If it's close, maybe they can convince Conley to take a little less to give Durant the max? or maybe both can take a little under the max. I'd assume though that it would be hard to trade Parker and get nothing back in return, or do you guys think that can be done if the Spurs really want to do it? You think there would be many teams out there that would want to absorb Parker's contract and give us nothing back in return?

SpursforSix
06-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Would it be close though? If it's close, maybe the can convince Conley to take a little less to give Durant the max? or maybe both can take a little under the max. I'd assume though that it would be hard though to trade Parker and get nothing back in return, or do you guys think that can be done if the Spurs really want to do it?

IIRC, Durant mentioned at some point that he might take less money.

FvckMavs
06-21-2016, 02:11 PM
LMA(20.6m)+KL(17.3m)+TP(14.4m)+DG(10m)+Simmons(0.8 7m)+7 cap hold(3.5m?) = 66.77m. So the space will be 94-66.77 = 27.23m.
Durant's max will be around 26.5m.

Someone posted that after Tim and Manu opt out and Diaw cut, the Spurs will have ~$20 million in cap space. Have to account for cap holds on open roster spots. Durant's max will be around $25-26 million. Moving Mills and Anderson might just barely not be enough.

FvckMavs
06-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Would you rather keeping both Green and Parker than giving Conley max? I would. We need Green to defend players like Irwing or Curry.

Would it be close though? If it's close, maybe the can convince Conley to take a little less to give Durant the max? or maybe both can take a little under the max. I'd assume though that it would be hard though to trade Parker and get nothing back in return, or do you guys think that can be done if the Spurs really want to do it?

Ice009
06-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Would you rather keep both Green and Parker than giving Conley max? I would. We need Green to defend players like Irwing or Curry.

I'd probably rather go for a better player than Conley in that specific scenario. If we could open up close to two max slots, I'd rather go for someone else along with KD. Parker, I don't really want on the team anymore, so I'd dump him for Conley easily, Green I'm not sure about though. I used to love him, but this season he really let me down. He was horrible for at least half of the season and I don't know why that was. I love his defense still, but sometimes he's too one dimensional on offense as all he can really do is shoot the 3, and then if he's not hitting shots it becomes worse on that end of the court.

cjw
06-21-2016, 02:21 PM

First off, Durant and Conley as the article suggests is a pipe dream but ...

You're thinking along the right lines IF they in fact were doing Durant and Conley. Durant would most likely have to be signed through cap space. Duncan/Manu/West opting out plus moving Diaw for no salary in return, and filling the rest with minimum cap holds (first rounder is a stash or is traded) puts the Spurs at around $70.5 million, meaning $23.5 million year one salary for Durant. Including Mills to move Diaw would move cap room to $27.0 million, and if Diaw's a buyout, it's closer to $20 million.

I doubt they would take just Parker back in a sign and trade ... would probably require sweeteners ... but it would allow a year 1 Conley contract of his salary plus $5 million ($19.4mm). Green is the more likely one, but only allows a $15 million year one salary. I don't see Conley and Parker playing together, and no Green would leave a gaping hole.

Sign and trades are less common now because they don't allow the 7.5% raises (only 4.5%) and only four year deals (not five).

FvckMavs
06-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Only 3m of Diaw's 6.5m is guaranteed. I may be wrong, but I think if they buy him out and stretch the 3m for 5 years, the cap hit will be very small.

First off, Durant and Conley as the article suggests is a pipe dream but ...

You're thinking along the right lines IF they in fact were doing Durant and Conley. Durant would most likely have to be signed through cap space. Duncan/Manu/West opting out plus moving Diaw for no salary in return, and filling the rest with minimum cap holds (first rounder is a stash or is traded) puts the Spurs at around $70.5 million, meaning $23.5 million year one salary for Durant. Including Mills to move Diaw would move cap room to $27.0 million, and if Diaw's a buyout, it's closer to $20 million.

I doubt they would take just Parker back in a sign and trade ... would probably require sweeteners ... but it would allow a year 1 Conley contract of his salary plus $5 million ($19.4mm). Green is the more likely one, but only allows a $15 million year one salary. I don't see Conley and Parker playing together, and no Green would leave a gaping hole.

Sign and trades are less common now because they don't allow the 7.5% raises (only 4.5%) and only four year deals (not five).

r0drig0lac
06-21-2016, 02:45 PM
:pop: Was with you till you mentioned Kyle.. No deal.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Big Empty
06-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Have you see the PG free agent class for 2017? Every all star PG in the league will be a free agent. Conley is gonna be 30 and he's slow.We need to replace Tim and some of the bench

Spurs9
06-21-2016, 03:08 PM
IIRC, Durant mentioned at some point that he might take less money.

No income tax in texas too, in cali he would spend a extra 13% on his earnings assuming he doesnt have loopholes. He would also be spending less on his non nba income from nike which far exceeds his earnings. Tbh I dont think he cares about a max just for the money, if he had to take less for a team he thinks he could win on, he would take it.

SpursforSix
06-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Have you see the PG free agent class for 2017? Every all star PG in the league will be a free agent. Conley is gonna be 30 and he's slow.We need to replace Tim and some of the bench

well they're probably not getting Curry, Westbrook, or Paul. But Lowry, Schroeder, and Holiday would all be significantly better than Conley.

tbdog
06-21-2016, 03:27 PM
^ Only Lowry. Holiday just isn't that good and if your worried about Conley's injury history, well don't look at Holiday's. Plus Lowry is playing beyond himself the last 2 season. Conley has steadily becoming better. For the record, I would rather Lowry, but I'll take Conley saying yes this year than hoping Lowry would the next year.

SpursforSix
06-21-2016, 03:31 PM
^ Only Lowry. Holiday just isn't that good and if your worried about Conley's injury history, well don't look at Holiday's. Plus Lowry is playing beyond himself the last 2 season. Conley has steadily becoming better. For the record, I would rather Lowry, but I'll take Conley saying yes this year than hoping Lowry would the next year.

Yeah...I agree with that and I'm sure that's the thinking of the FO. Need to get better right now and Conley certainly helps along those lines. I actually like Conley and he'd give them enough years for them to be able to maybe find a young talent to develop at the position.

Keepin' it real
06-21-2016, 04:21 PM

Like this?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/80/51/cc8051b82c5a98d5d8fca21eee766c05.jpg

rasuo214
06-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Spurs would need to get rid of everyone but Kawhi and LMA to sign 2 max guys. No way that will happen, but if they can convince Conley and KD to take 20 mil instead of the max then obviously that leaves quite a bit more flexibility to keep current guys.

SequSpur
06-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Spurs would need to get rid of everyone but Kawhi and LMA to sign 2 max guys. No way that will happen, but if they can convince Conley and KD to take 20 mil instead of the max then obviously that leaves quite a bit more flexibility to keep current guys.

WTF? really? nobody ain't taking less for shit anymore.... the days of that bullshit is over....

r0drig0lac
06-21-2016, 05:41 PM
I like Conley, but not paying the max, however it seems that KD stay in okc or go to gsw, FO will need to do some magic to stay competitive if it happens

tbdog
06-21-2016, 05:50 PM
WTF? really? nobody ain't taking less for shit anymore.... the days of that bullshit is over....

False, plenty of names have taken less. Heck, even the Wade, Bosh, Lebron trio did. I honestly do see Durant taking less to increase he chances of a title. But he makes up for it with a huge Nike deal. Conley though, he has never talked about being great, chasing a ring to improve his image etc. Which means he will want he market value.

noles1983
06-21-2016, 06:33 PM
how the fuck is conley a max player?

SAGirl
06-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Anderson is barely above min level salary. As you said his caphold will still be there that's why the narrative is that they would need to move Danny. If you consider that Danny can net a lottery level pick, then the whole idea starts to make more sense.

SAGirl
06-21-2016, 07:14 PM
I like Conley, but not paying the max, however it seems that KD stay in okc or go to gsw, FO will need to do some magic to stay competitive if it happens
I like to entertain this ideas as much as anyone but I really doubt he joins us... like really really doubt it.

tbdog
06-21-2016, 07:14 PM

^ Because so many teams have money and there is a pretty high cap floor. Supply and demand this year. He is the top 5 unrestricted free agent, behind Durant, Horford, DeRozen, Whiteside. All will get a max or damn close too.

cjw
06-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Only 3m of Diaw's 6.5m is guaranteed. I may be wrong, but I think if they buy him out and stretch the 3m for 5 years, the cap hit will be very small.

Yeah, $600k each of 5 years. Not bad, so means less will have to be given up to trade him (can always stretch so not as punitive)

poeticism707
06-21-2016, 10:15 PM
Holy shit, both of them???

Do it Spurs!!!

Maddog
06-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Seems like a good fit.

http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Mike-Conley-wife.jpg

cd98
06-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Liked this idea originally. Now I've soured. I think the Spurs go young at PG and develop. But hey, if they get Conley, it's definitely a win now move.

.G.
06-22-2016, 11:44 AM
No more old chaps.

baseline bum
06-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Jeff Teague is no longer an option at point, he just got moved to Indiana in a 3-way deal, with George Hill going to Utah.

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2016, 05:03 PM
He's glass and his game will probably age poorly, tbh..not worth a long-term deal, it would probably cement the Spurs as a pretender, going forward..

Mugen
06-22-2016, 05:05 PM
The Spurs are a pretender regardless unless Durant miraculously signs.

While other respected posters on the board might disagree, I think Conley is a massive upgrade over the current starting PG.

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2016, 05:06 PM
^^ Of course he's an upgrade over current Parker:lol

I think they have to start considering the future, though, which is why I wouldn't blow max money on a long-term deal to a 28-year old who might already be on the decline..

Kikoluna
06-22-2016, 05:18 PM
^^ Of course he's an upgrade over current Parker:lol

I think they have to start considering the future, though, which is why I wouldn't blow max money on a long-term deal to a 28-year old who might already be on the decline..

So you suggest waiting and let Aldridge age more ? Aldridge has 3 years left in the tank before a sharp decline

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 05:21 PM
So you suggest waiting and let Aldridge age more ? Aldridge has 3 years left in the tank before a sharp decline

Aldridge is a stop gap.. an expensive shiny one but a stop gap. The team should be constructed around prime Leonard which is 3 years away in theory.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Spurs are not that far! When you have a core of LMA/Kawhi/Danny Green, you should absolutely try to win now. That doesn't mean you can't get younger and keep an eye on the future, but that is an elite core and you have to at least try to win now.

RD2191
06-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Tyler Ulis will be better than Conley so why pay the max to an aging PG when the Spurs could draft someone just as good on a rookie deal?

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Waiting an extra year for a star that moves the needle is better than blowing it all on Mike Conley, especially since he isn't good enough to elevate the Spurs to a different level IMO(if he's even healthy in the playoffs)..

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Aldridge is a stop gap.. an expensive shiny one but a stop gap. The team should be constructed around prime Leonard which is 3 years away in theory.
Good way to put the situation.
Obviously things could change if this team alters, gels and pulls something special off with him, but that's going to the local 7-11 and buying some scratch off tickets for the big bucks odds there.

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Tyler Ulis will be better than Conley so why pay the max to an aging PG when the Spurs could draft someone just as good on a rookie deal?
Tiny Tyler will be better than Conley?
You don't even watch college ball, ass.

Hoops Czar
06-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Waiting an extra year for a star that moves the needle is better than blowing it all on Mike Conley, especially since he isn't good enough to elevate the Spurs to a different level IMO(if he's even healthy in the playoffs)..

Interesting... So in your opinion, which star in free agency do you suppose moves the needle for the Spurs in 2017? Westbrook, Curry and James aren't signing here so let's not even go there :lol.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2017/

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Interesting... So in your opinion, which star in free agency do you suppose moves the needle for the Spurs in 2017? Westbrook, Curry and James aren't signing here so let's not even go there :lol.

Good question..

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Haven't looked at the FA list, it doesn't make a difference, though IMO..keeping your options and flexibility open for trades and potential unexpected FAs is much more prudent and logical than blowing a long-term max deal on an aging, declining top 10 PG..

Also, using the cap space on multiple mid-tier players to fill holes would be a much smarter move than signing Conley, too(especially since Parker isn't going anywhere for 2 years)..

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Haven't looked at the FA list, it doesn't make a difference, though IMO..keeping your options and flexibility open for trades and potential unexpected FAs is much more prudent and logical than blowing a long-term max deal on an aging, declining top 10 PG..

Also, using the cap space on multiple mid-tier players to fill holes would be a much smarter move than signing Conley, too(especially since Parker isn't going anywhere for 2 years)..

:pop: Two Years? So now you're coaching.. Parker is a long term option here..

tonight...you

Nice job of answering without answering.. Broad strokes.. Keep it general..
I applaud..

spurtech09
Conley would be a nice fit for SA...but I have a feeling he might resign with the Grizzlies ....

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 06:53 PM
:pop: Two Years? So now you're coaching.. Parker is a long term option here..
Time to start drawing up that extension. Better early than late.

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Time to start drawing up that extension. Better early than late.

:pop: I'm thinking 4/80M

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 07:00 PM
:pop: I'm thinking 4/80M

I honestly think he's going to play hardball with you, Pop and ask to take RC's spot and be the 1st player/GM in the NBA.
You gotta do it, you pioneered women on the bench... time to take that plunge, Hoss.

Time to cleanse the rot and start the new Camelot.

.G.
06-22-2016, 07:06 PM
:lol conley is trash.

RD2191
06-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Tiny Tyler will be better than Conley?
You don't even watch college ball, ass.
Conley isn't anything special.

Hoops Czar
06-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Even those supposed mid tier players like the Parson's and the Holiday's of the world are going to be overpaid so they actually might only end up with one mid tier player and a bunch of end of the bench scrubs that could be had either way. Some posters here are under the impression that because the cap rises, the Spurs can sign more free agents. No, it means the same players that costed 5-6M will now cost 10M and those who made 10M are now in line to make 15-16M. Parker will be slightly more appealing as a salary dump option next offseason and Diaw officially comes off the books if he isn't dealt or let go in the near future. If not Conley, then somebody because this team isn't currently constructed to win championship with a declining pg that can no longer penetrate and breakdown the opponent's defense.

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 07:42 PM
lose parker, sign conley to a one year deal. then sign chris paul next summer.

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2016, 07:59 PM
lose Manure, sign Conley. Then we get a real 6th man in Parker.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2016, 08:42 PM
The Spurs are going to need to figure out a way to get rid of Parker during negotiations with Conley to make it work.

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Conley isn't anything special.
True... I take everything I ever thought bad about you back.
You are a scholar, my good man.

RD2191
06-22-2016, 09:10 PM
True... I take everything I ever thought bad about you back.
You are a scholar, my good man.

And don't you forget it.

hater
06-22-2016, 09:13 PM

Goat post :tu

tonight...you
06-22-2016, 09:55 PM
And don't you forget it.
Don't worry, I will. Easily. Just bask while you can.

tholdren
06-22-2016, 10:02 PM
^ Because so many teams have money and there is a pretty high cap floor. Supply and demand this year. He is the top 5 unrestricted free agent, behind Durant, Horford, DeRozen, Whiteside. All will get a max or damn close too.
same reason these d bags are... kids love video games

DAF86
06-22-2016, 10:08 PM

No need for a PG, tbh.

PG: Lebron
SG: Green
SF: Kawhi
PF: Durant
C: Aldridge

BatManu20
06-22-2016, 10:44 PM
I see Conley ending up with the Mavs before the Spurs tbh. I don't see us parting with Tony. Spurs are too loyal. And would be pointless to have both.

Duncan2177
06-22-2016, 10:48 PM
I see Conley ending up with the Mavs before the Spurs tbh. I don't see us parting with Tony. Spurs are too loyal. And would be pointless to have both.

How would having both be pointless? Start Conley and have Parker come off the bench.

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 10:49 PM
He's glass and his game will probably age poorly, tbh..not worth a long-term deal, it would probably cement the Spurs as a pretender, going forward..

Dude reminds me off Devin Harris who fell off when he lost his speed. Conley is a better shooter (although not a knockdown shooter) but Harris is bigger thus has been able to bully smaller guards like Patty.

Ditty
06-22-2016, 10:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0537421619082043121-4

For Memphis to keep Mike Conley, the Grizzlies would have to commit to a five-year contract for the top point guard available in the free agency market, sources told ESPN.com. The fifth year, which only the Grizzlies can offer Conley, would be worth more than $33 million on a max contract.A source said the Spurs and Mavericks are among the other teams that would interest Conley, who intends to explore his options in free agency. The Spurs would have to answer questions about how Conley would fit with Tony Parker, according to the source, who said that Conley has great respect for Dallas coach Rick Carlisle.The Knicks and Pacers would have been attractive to Conley, an Indianapolis native, but those two teams addressed their needs at point guards with trades today.

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Considering Porker isn't going anywhere signing backup guards like Lin/Vasquez would be smarter than maxing out a guard who has been Jeff Teague status the past 2 seasons.:lol

Conley/Porker can't play together so spending 40 million for basically 40 minutes a night would be idiotic. Conley himself has lower extremity issues so he is on his way to aging like Porker.:lol

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Jeff Teague is no longer an option at point, he just got moved to Indiana in a 3-way deal, with George Hill going to Utah.

Offensively, Darren Collison was better than Teague last season: http://bkref.com/tiny/5C3PU

I was hoping PATFO could trade Patty/Simmons for Collison but dude got arrested for domestic violence.:bang

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:13 PM
How would having both be pointless? Start Conley and have Parker come off the bench.

They can't play together so PATFO would be paying a mill per minutes (season average): 40 MPG --> 40 mill (Conley:25 + Porker:15)

Kidd K
06-22-2016, 11:18 PM
No way we get Durant, but Conley would be a nice pickup if he could develop a slightly reliable 3pt shot. He isn't bad, but it'd be nice to see him push into the 40%s even if it's just 40-42%

Hoops Czar
06-22-2016, 11:19 PM
They can't play together so PATFO would be paying a mill per minutes (season average): 40 MPG --> 40 mill (Conley:25 + Porker:15)

Maybe the Spurs should just max out Ezili and call it an offseason :lol.

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Maybe the Spurs should just max out Ezili and call it an offseason :lol.
Ezeli is a no name scrub, so he'd probably like that move :lol

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:28 PM
No way we get Durant, but Conley would be a nice pickup if he could develop a slightly reliable 3pt shot. He isn't bad, but it'd be nice to see him push into the 40%s even if it's just 40-42%

Conley has been trying to develop a reliable 3 pt shot for a decade::lol

LakerHater
06-22-2016, 11:31 PM
Michael Conley Jr.'s camp has concerns about his fit with Parker, per Tim MacMahon.

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Ezeli is a no name scrub, so he'd probably like that move :lol

Ezeli was emasculate in the Finals like 2013 Tiago, the only scrub I want is Biyombo who was having his way against the Cavs frontline including LeBron.:lol

v380rlzNaCI

iEjHjOlAr3c

gyQP5K0VbJ8

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Michael Conley Jr.'s camp has concerns about his fit with Parker, per Tim MacMahon.

:pop: The bench seats are one size fits all.

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2016, 11:43 PM
Ezeli was emasculate in the Finals like 2013 Tiago, the only scrub I was is Biyombo who was having his way against the Cavs frontline including LeBron.:lol

v380rlzNaCI

iEjHjOlAr3c

gyQP5K0VbJ8
Some team is going to pay stupid money for him, he's a career 8 & 10 guy if he's lucky :lol

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:46 PM
Some team is going to pay stupid money for him, he's a career 8 & 10 guy if he's lucky :lol

He's worth Tristan Thompson type money especially considering Softridge doesn't want to do the dirty work.:lol

“For someone like (Biyombo), I think when you look at a guy like Tyson Chandler and what he got from Phoenix last summer (four years, $52 million), that’s where you start for a contract,” one Eastern Conference GM told Sporting News. “But you factor in the cap spike and it’s probably going to be high, I’d say, $16-17 million. It’ll be a heck of a $17 million-per-year gamble.”

http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/NBA/images/2016/05/24/240516-NBA-Toronto-Raptors-Bismack-Biyombo-Tristan-Thompson-Graphic-final.vadapt.664.high.75.jpg

Kawhitstorm
06-22-2016, 11:50 PM

aka I ain't coming unless Porker is shipped out.:toast

tbdog
06-23-2016, 01:10 AM
He's worth Tristan Thompson type money especially considering Softridge doesn't want to do the dirty work.:lol

http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/NBA/images/2016/05/24/240516-NBA-Toronto-Raptors-Bismack-Biyombo-Tristan-Thompson-Graphic-final.vadapt.664.high.75.jpg

TT is not worth his contact. Gilbert and Lebron went all in for that title, and just got it. Lebron will try and defend his title. After that, the cavs are stuck with awful contracts.

DenialTwist
06-23-2016, 05:26 AM

Or Parker has to come off the bench.

gambit1990
06-23-2016, 12:07 PM
tp is not worth 14 million as a sixth man.

simmons can break down a defense and finish better anyways.

UZER
06-23-2016, 12:13 PM

:pop: No, we reject YOU because that comment clearly means you are not over yourself. Team Parker for life.

Chucho
06-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Fucking Knicks fucking their shit up per par, but not in our favor. They were kind enough to take Malik, and now our Parker dreams of leaving are gone. Send him somewhere out East so he can stat-pad and get an ASG nod...

Mnky
06-23-2016, 03:52 PM

Conley has a reliable 3, even when he was the only outside threat on the entire team. He is also one of the best defensive guards in the game. Keep in mind they have always been an inside team with Gasol and Randolph working as facilitators just as much as him.

Are you arguing against getting him?

cd98
06-23-2016, 04:33 PM

Let’s see who wins the “Dumb GM of the Summer. You never spend big money on a guy that has only had one good season, which happens to be in his contract year. The smart GM (in this case, Toronto) pays low on the gamble. That’s when you invest in a player like this. You never do it when the gamble is at the highest price.

SupremeGuy
06-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Parker costing us Conley wouldn't surprise me at all. The contract that keeps on giving. :cry

Kawhitstorm
06-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Let’s see who wins the “Dumb GM of the Summer. You never spend big money on a guy that has only had one good season, which happens to be in his contract year. The smart GM (in this case, Toronto) pays low on the gamble. That’s when you invest in a player like this. You never do it when the gamble is at the highest price.

That's exactly what the Cavs did with Tristan, right?:lol

SpursforSix
06-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Parker costing us Conley wouldn't surprise me at all. The contract that keeps on giving. :cry

He's the Matt Bonner of the starting rotation.

Hoops Czar
06-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Yeah, Parker is costing the Spurs Conley because he gave himself a nice big, fat, juicy extension :lmao.

Hoops Czar
06-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Lebron got Tristen that contract. David Griffin wanted no part of it thus, the reason it took the Cavs until October to sign him.

SupremeGuy
06-23-2016, 05:02 PM
He's the Matt Bonner of the starting rotation.:lol

Kawhitstorm
06-23-2016, 05:15 PM
Lebron got Tristen that contract. David Griffin wanted no part of it thus, the reason it took the Cavs until October to sign him.

Tristan ended up outplaying Love & being their 3rd best player in the Finals after Biyombo outplayed him in the ECF.:lol

Biyombo getting 17 mill is nothing in an offseason where Harrison Barnes might get 20 mill.:wakeup

cd98
06-23-2016, 05:15 PM

Of course, I did say a gamble. Sometimes it works out and usually it doesn't. That said, Tristan is a solid player, but I don't think he's underpaid and probably overpaid, though he certainly was a key piece for that team.

Kawhitstorm
06-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Of course, I did say a gamble. Sometimes it works out and usually it doesn't. That said, Tristan is a solid player, but I don't think he's underpaid and probably overpaid, though he certainly was a key piece for that team.

Again, an average starter is going to get 15 mill & Biyombo PROVED he was better than an average starter while going up against QUALITY opponents. It's not like there is such a thing as fluke rim protection/rebounding, which are his assets. He is also as mobile as Tristan.

A gamble would be paying someone like Biyombo based on his per 36 production when he's averaging 10 MPG like Ezeli.:lol

Hoops Czar
06-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Tristan ended up outplaying Love & being their 3rd best player in the Finals after Biyombo outplayed him in the ECF.:lol

Biyombo getting 17 mill is nothing in an offseason where Harrison Barnes might get 20 mill.:wakeup

Then, it's pretty simple really. If Durant stays in OKC, it's a no brainer spending money to max out Conley since mid tier scrubs like Barnes can be had for roughly the same price. Doesn't matter if they have $40M committed to the point guard position, you roll with it and hope Parker can be productive off the bench. :wakeup

Kawhitstorm
06-23-2016, 05:36 PM
This message is hidden because Hoops Czar is on your ignore list (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

cd98
06-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Again, an average starter is going to get 15 mill & Biyombo PROVED he was better than an average starter while going up against QUALITY opponents. It's not like there is such a thing as fluke rim protection/rebounding, which are his assets. He is also as mobile as Tristan.

A gamble would be paying someone like Biyombo based on his per 36 production when he's averaging 10 MPG like Ezeli.:lol

He might be. Or he might become an albatross b/c he can't shoot and he only plays well at home. And even if he is a rebounder and occassional shot blocker, some might expect more for $15 a year. I mean Parker was paid like $13 million last year and his 12 points and 5 assists weren't good enough. Biyombo was a bench player last year. As a starter, it wouldn't be shocking to see him average 6 points and 8 rebounds (what he averaged in the playoffs). At $15 million?

Kawhitstorm
06-23-2016, 06:53 PM
He might be. Or he might become an albatross b/c he can't shoot and he only plays well at home. And even if he is a rebounder and occassional shot blocker, some might expect more for $15 a year.

Folks also EXPECTED Tristan to put up a double-double & called him a "bad contract" when he was doing all the dirty work unlike the albatross Kevin Love.

I mean Parker was paid like $13 million last year and his 12 points and 5 assists weren't good enough.

Porker at this point is an empty stat guy who is a defensive liability. He was a NET negative by essentially every advanced metric.:lol

Biyombo was a bench player last year. As a starter, it wouldn't be shocking to see him average 6 points and 8 rebounds (what he averaged in the playoffs). At $15 million?

Tristan was also a backup who became a starter last postseason when Love got injured. He put up 8/9 this season 7/9 in the postseason so I guess he's a "bad contract".:lol (Biyombo is a better defensive rebounder & rim protector)

BTW, Ezeli is going to get at least 15 mill.:wakeup

Kidd K
06-25-2016, 01:29 PM

I realize that, but he's been playing for on of the shittiest 3pt shooting teams in the NBA the whole time. Spurs are one of the best. Even Tony shoots 40% from three now.

You know?

Nathan89
06-25-2016, 02:30 PM
He might be. Or he might become an albatross b/c he can't shoot and he only plays well at home. And even if he is a rebounder and occassional shot blocker, some might expect more for $15 a year. I mean Parker was paid like $13 million last year and his 12 points and 5 assists weren't good enough. Biyombo was a bench player last year. As a starter, it wouldn't be shocking to see him average 6 points and 8 rebounds (what he averaged in the playoffs). At $15 million?

Parker is a losing piece. A guy that play defense, rebound, and get easy baskets isn't. Parker would be fine if his defense wasn't awful.

CGD
06-25-2016, 03:03 PM
I really hope the Spurs don't max this guy. i do like him, but i just don't see Mike as THAT much of an upgrade over Parker to justify 13m+ MORE a year over the next two years (and beyond). I'd rather ride with TP one more year and explore trading him next summer (or at this year's deadline if we struggle) when he's got a year left.

When KD passes on us, I'd rather use the money on someone like Eric Gordon on a make-good deal.

midnightpulp
06-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Don't like it. His defense is overrated. He's injury prone, on the decline, and something of a playoff choker. He's never shot over 43% in a playoff series. I'd rather develop the draft pick. His size and style fit the new breed of point guard.

SpursFan86
06-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Said this in another topic, but anyways, I think Conley is a solid player, but no way do I want to max him out (especially with Parker's contract still being on the books). If he was willing to take a discount I'd maybe be more open to the idea, but I think that's unlikely and honestly even then I think there are probably better alternatives.

Mnky
06-26-2016, 01:05 AM
Said this in another topic, but anyways, I think Conley is a solid player, but no way do I want to max him out (especially with Parker's contract still being on the books). If he was willing to take a discount I'd maybe be more open to the idea, but I think that's unlikely and honestly even then I think there are probably better alternatives.

This year's Max won't be next year's Max though. The cap is increasing steadily, which kind of helps, but I'd prefer else than Max as well. He is a great defensive pg and was able to shoot well from 3 while having no other legitimate shooting threat on the team. He's also not as old as his age would suggest, since the grizzlies play a slow game, and has been more on the big guys, and not much deep runs in the playoffs.

SD126
06-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Don't like it. His defense is overrated. He's injury prone, on the decline, and something of a playoff choker. He's never shot over 43% in a playoff series. I'd rather develop the draft pick. His size and style fit the new breed of point guard.

SD126
06-27-2016, 10:08 AM
I really hope the Spurs don't max this guy. i do like him, but i just don't see Mike as THAT much of an upgrade over Parker to justify 13m+ MORE a year over the next two years (and beyond). I'd rather ride with TP one more year and explore trading him next summer (or at this year's deadline if we struggle) when he's got a year left.

When KD passes on us, I'd rather use the money on someone like Eric Gordon on a make-good deal.

People complain about Conley being broken down at age 29 but want Gordon who is broken down, and purposely injuring himself year in and year out so he can get overpaid?? Ok.

szkorhetz
06-27-2016, 10:11 AM
People complain about Conley being broken down at age 29 but want Gordon who is broken down, and purposely injuring himself year in and year out so he can get overpaid?? Ok.
One is a max contract type of guy, the other one is MLE at max.

Chinook
06-27-2016, 11:24 AM

"I want more money than I'm worth. You know how I'm going to get it? I'm going to keep getting hurt. They'll be lining up to give me the dough then." Easily the worst logic I've seen.

One is a max contract type of guy, the other one is MLE at max.

We'll be lucky if Gordon makes less than $10 Million this next season.

NikosChelsea7
06-27-2016, 11:38 AM

Hoops Czar
06-27-2016, 11:54 AM
"I want more money than I'm worth. You know how I'm going to get it? I'm going to keep getting hurt. They'll be lining up to give me the dough then." Easily the worst logic I've seen.

Maybe what he meant to say is Gordon has only played in 417 of a possible 656 games over the past 8 seasons and hasn't played in more than 64 since his rookie season. I wouldn't want this kid to walk my dog for fear he might sprain his big toe let alone give him guaranteed money to sit in a suit behind the bench.

GSH
06-27-2016, 11:58 AM
purposely injuring himself year in and year out so he can get overpaid?? Ok.

Purposely injuring himself? In order to get overpaid? Seriously?

Some days this place makes my brain hurt.

Chinook
06-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Maybe what he meant to say is Gordon has only played in 417 of a possible 656 games over the past 8 seasons and hasn't played in more than 64 since his rookie season. I wouldn't want this kid to walk my dog for fear he might sprain his big toe let alone give him guaranteed money to sit in a suit behind the bench.

And that's why he's going to be underpaid, hopefully. The Spurs would have to hope that in a bench role and with veteran rest and all that that he'd be fine for a couple of seasons. I think he'll be okay once he gets out of NO.

Leetonidas
06-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Spurs drafting a PG is telling imo. i dont think they're going after Conley. if they miss out on Durant I would be happy if they could net Gasol and Batum imo. but since we were able to get a solid PG in the draft and spurs will never trade TP i don't see them seriously pursuing Conley

Leetonidas
06-27-2016, 12:12 PM
As for Gordon he is an intriguing bench option and he is definitely talented but he makes splitter look like LeBron when it comes to injuries

mo7888
06-27-2016, 12:15 PM
I like Conley but, I'd rather spend the same money he would get to get 2 players with some risk that might fit here...Lin and Gordon for instance...(don't get hung up on those two names because there are several combinations that would work)..

loveforthegame
06-27-2016, 12:40 PM

dabom
06-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Au revoir tony.

Chinook
06-27-2016, 12:45 PM

As much sense as it makes to move Parker, that being true would completely take Conley off my list.

montgod
06-27-2016, 12:47 PM
I like Conley but, I'd rather spend the same money he would get to get 2 players with some risk that might fit here...Lin and Gordon for instance...(don't get hung up on those two names because there are several combinations that would work)..

I agree, I would rather check out players like J Clarkson (restricted?), Jennings, or Augustin.

NASpurs
06-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Can't say that I blame him, just the thought of Parker banging your wife would cause you to have serious worries about Parker.

montgod
06-27-2016, 12:51 PM

Makes sense from an incoming starter perspective as well as financial perspective. This is why you would hope if Spurs go this route, it might be for a S&T with TP going to Grizz.

Keepin' it real
06-27-2016, 01:18 PM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/149763/4905062-5350548353-46197.jpg

TheCultOfPersonality
06-27-2016, 01:20 PM

He isn't. Heck he wasn't even that good last season.

Killakobe81
06-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Can't say that I blame him, just the thought of Parker banging your wife would cause you to have serious worries about Parker.

gambit1990
06-27-2016, 02:37 PM
i bet that's the only issue he has in regards to joining the team.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2016, 02:50 PM
i bet that's the only issue he has in regards to joining the team.

And that issue can be resolved quickly with a Sign and Trade for Parker.

Spurs have let go of Avery Johnson when he was a pillar in the San Antonio community for 8+ years when he became a free agent in 01'.

They have traded Bowen when he was declining.

Not many remember either, but Spurs were willing to let Robinson walk in summer of 01' when Robinson didn't want to take a pay-cut for them to afford C-Webb. If Webber would have came to San Antonio ( which he almost did), Robinson would have been a Maverick -- he visited them and Cuban offered him the money he wanted. Spurs were willing to let Robinson go then.

Given those scenarios that did happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs trade Parker back to Memphis in a sign and trade for Conley.

timtonymanu
06-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Spurs have let go of Avery Johnson when he was a pillar in the San Antonio community for 8+ years when he became a free agent in 01'.

Not many remember either, but Spurs were willing to let Robinson walk in summer of 01' when Robinson didn't want to take a pay-cut for them to afford C-Webb. If Webber would have came to San Antonio ( which he almost did), Robinson would have been a Maverick -- he visited them and Cuban offered him the money he wanted. Spurs were willing to let Robinson go then.

Given those scenarios that did happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs trade Parker back to Memphis in a sign and trade for Conley.

Difference is Avery and D Rob were free agents and there was a rumor Pop and Bruce had a falling out of some sorts. Trading Parker would be harder to do especially if Tim and Manu come back. I don't see Pop pulling that kind of move. He can't even dump Bonner, FFS.

Keepin' it real
06-27-2016, 03:00 PM

http://www.strat-talk.com/data/attachments/71/71814-9c93df15a9f54bddbf35275994e1807b.jpg

bklynspursfan
06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Difference is Avery and D Rob were free agents and there was a rumor Pop and Bruce had a falling out of some sorts. Trading Parker would be harder to do especially if Tim and Manu come back. I don't see Pop pulling that kind of move. He can't even dump Bonner, FFS.

Yup. Parker ain't getting moved unless he asks for it. And considering he wants to retire a Spurs, I just don't see it happening. Now if Tim/Manu/Pop all decided to hang em up, maaaaybe we're having a different conversation.

Twisted_Dawg
06-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Actually, didn't we have a trade all worked out for C-Webb straight up for DROB, but Webb reneged at last minute?

SpursforSix
06-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Yup. Parker ain't getting moved unless he asks for it. And considering he wants to retire a Spurs, I just don't see it happening. Now if Tim/Manu/Pop all decided to hang em up, maaaaybe we're having a different conversation.

He's asked for it. Maybe not explicitly. But he's asked for it alright.

Clipper Nation
06-27-2016, 03:10 PM

In before Porker's ballwashers find a way to blame Kawhi for Porker's cancerous, free-agent-alienating ways.

SpursforSix
06-27-2016, 03:19 PM
In before Porker's ballwashers find a way to blame Kawhi for Porker's cancerous, free-agent-alienating ways.

Not Parker's fault. But it's time to say, "au revoir Fatty".

bklynspursfan
06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
He's asked for it. Maybe not explicitly. But he's asked for it alright.

haha... I think people on this forum go waaay overboard with the TP stuff most of the time.

SpursforSix
06-27-2016, 03:23 PM
haha... I think people on this forum go waaay overboard with the TP stuff most of the time.

Probably. But a lot of people called it back when he got that contract. And now it's all coming to fruition.
It's severely limiting the Spurs options this offseason. And at a time when all of the other contenders have a tier 1 PG.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Letting go in Free Agency & trading is essentially the same damn thing with what we are talking about -- going into another direction when they have declined no matter how much they've given the team and city.

bklynspursfan
06-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Probably. But a lot of people called it back when he got that contract. And now it's all coming to fruition.
It's severely limiting the Spurs options this offseason. And at a time when all of the other contenders have a tier 1 PG.

I get that.. I also know he sort of had it owed to him for when he was in his prime years. So I really don't have too much an issue with it. We just won it all 2 years ago, and didn't have LMA/Kawhi (at the level he is now)

I think what's more important is beefing up our front court to deal with the Adams/Kanters of the world. They hurt us far more than their back court did. At least with TP, you can throw him on a Roberson or on a Harrison Barnes, etc... Also improving our 3 point shooting will help immensely.

gambit1990
06-27-2016, 03:43 PM
if the knicks were willing to pay for rose they would've paid for parker.

that was a place i could see him not minding to go. a big market. that's off the list now.

what about chicago, are they in the market for a starting pg now? i could imagine him being okay with going there. big market and he has some ties to the city, right? i know the bulls are cheap though.

i could also see him being okay with toronto.

can't imagine the spurs sign and trading with memphis. i'd be all for it though.

i wonder if the spurs bring up moving tp like we moved splitter last summer to make room to conley. one can hope.

bic50
06-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Is Conley worried he'll be Tony's backup or something?

timtonymanu
06-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Letting go in Free Agency & trading is essentially the same damn thing with what we are talking about -- going into another direction when they have declined no matter how much they've given the team and city.

Well no cause AJ and DRob had the choice to take less money to play here or leave. The Spurs didn't owe them anything. IMO, I think if Parker was a free agent this summer, he would have taken a paycut to continue playing here. But the reality is the Spurs owe him 30 million in the next 2 years. They can't waive him and bring him back for less. They have to trade him. And I just don't see that happening unless it's guaranteed both Tim and Manu retire (now that's a completely different story).

timtonymanu
06-27-2016, 03:52 PM
I have no interest in Conley anymore unless Parker gets traded. Time to upgrade at the SG and C position now.

SpursforSix
06-27-2016, 03:57 PM
I get that.. I also know he sort of had it owed to him for when he was in his prime years. So I really don't have too much an issue with it. We just won it all 2 years ago, and didn't have LMA/Kawhi (at the level he is now)

I think what's more important is beefing up our front court to deal with the Adams/Kanters of the world. They hurt us far more than their back court did. At least with TP, you can throw him on a Roberson or on a Harrison Barnes, etc... Also improving our 3 point shooting will help immensely.

I don't disagree with any of that. But I think the loyalty ends with the contract. He's getting paid whether he's in SA or elsewhere.

Spurs have a lot of needs which you touched on. All of those would be easier to meet without the $15,000,000.

That being said, I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to max out Conley even if Parker is gone. But at this point, I'd much rather have Conley for max than Parker for 15. But for the long term, Conley could turn out to be a new albatross.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Is Conley worried he'll be Tony's backup or something?

He's worried that the ole drunkard will run with Parker when it matters the most which is usually the scenario these past few seasons. The only way the Spurs get a legit break from is when Parker is getting eaten alive and fakes an injury so he can sit on the bench.. That's the only hope.

dabom
06-27-2016, 03:59 PM
He's worried that the ole drunkard will run with Parker when it matters the most which is usually the scenario these past few seasons. The only way the Spurs get a legit break from is when Parker is getting eaten alive and fakes an injury so he can sit on the bench.. That's the only hope.

This is seriously why we haven't gotten past anyone these last 2 years. :lol

Imagine if Tony doesn't get injured in game 6 OKC? :lol

SpursforSix
06-27-2016, 03:59 PM

IDK. Tony could be attacked by a shark that bites off one of his legs. But then he becomes a spokesman for amputees and does lots of great things along those lines.

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Swapping TP for Conley barley moves the needle and now you have a longer deal on an aging PG. No thanks.

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Swapping TP for Conley barley moves the needle and now you have a longer deal on an aging PG. No thanks.

I don't think you understand the difference in Talent right now. :lmao

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:11 PM
I don't think you understand the difference in Talent right now. :lmao

I understand it completely. Conley is better than TP, but he's not elite at all. He's also got the same breakdown concerns as TP and his contract would be infinitely worse for longer.

TD 21
06-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Sure, technically, it could be, but would they actually trade Parker? Not for a good, but not great, player, who might be in the midst of breaking down and not to a team that's going nowhere.

Johnson and Bowen were not Parker. Robinson is obviously a different story, but I seriously doubt Pop and Buford have the relationship with him that they do with Parker.

Conley was never going to sign with the Spurs and anyone faulting him for not wanting to come to a team where he'd be an awkward fit and have to play limited minutes/role, in his prime, is an idiot.

look_at_g_shred
06-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Can we sign Grevis Vasquez instead?

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Makes sense from an incoming starter perspective as well as financial perspective. This is why you would hope if Spurs go this route, it might be for a S&T with TP going to Grizz.

So the guy who covers the rival Mavs who are rumoured to want Conley is saying his sources say Conley has concerns about SA. K.

RD2191
06-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Conley over Parker is an upgrade but Conley isn't worth the max.

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
I understand it completely. Conley is better than TP, but he's not elite at all. He's also got the same breakdown concerns as TP and his contract would be infinitely worse for longer.

Any team would want Conley. I think he is amazing at what he does. Look at the Grizz roster he has had to carry over the years. I think he has always been their best player. Parker at this point is a negative impact player.

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:16 PM

That's silly IMO and why I don't believe the rumor. If anyone watched this year, more than ever Pop yanked TP even in critical moments. He sat Duncan. He's clearly not above playing the best player and if Mills or Gino could have done anything positive they certainly would have played over TP when it mattered.

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Conley over Parker is an upgrade but Conley isn't worth the max.

I wouldn't pay the max either. I'd give him 17 mil a year tops. He is probably worth the max to shit teams.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Can understand this point, but if Conley is healthy -- his defense in itself should move the needle enough (Spurs don't have to move the needle by much) -- as the Spurs won't have 48 minutes of liability on the defensive end from the PG position with 34 yr old Parker and Mills getting exploited routinely when it counts.

Spurs have to try to resolve this huge weakness they have at the PG position whether it be Conley or from a trade if they want a real opportunity to beat the elite teams who have elite PG play.

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Any team would want Conley. I think he is amazing at what he does. Look at the Grizz roster he has had to carry over the years. I think he has always been their best player. Parker at this point is a negative impact player.

Carry to wear? Gasol/Zbo had far more to do with MEM success than Conley. I don't hate Conley, he's a fine player. But he's being overrated because of name value. He's not an elite player especially considering his shooting being mediocre, his body breaking down and his cost.

look_at_g_shred
06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
dude isn't worth but 10-12 mil a year. He hasn't proved anything and hasn't even made an all-star team yet. And don't give me the old " the west is stacked with PG" argument either..

Spur|n|Austin
06-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Carry to wear? Gasol/Zbo had far more to do with MEM success than Conley. I don't hate Conley, he's a fine player. But he's being overrated because of name value. He's not an elite player especially considering his shooting being mediocre, his body breaking down and his cost.

And offering him a max deal would be a bonehead FO move on the Spurs part.

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Can understand this point, but if Conley is healthy -- his defense in itself should move the needle enough (Spurs don't have to move the needle by much) -- as the Spurs won't have 48 minutes of liability on the defensive end from the PG position with 34 yr old Parker and Mills getting exploited routinely when it counts.

Spurs have to try to resolve this huge weakness they have at the PG position whether it be Conley or from a trade if they want a real opportunity to beat the elite teams who have elite PG play.

Ironically enough, it looks like statistically TP actually graded out better than Conley defensively (TP wasn't good BTW - they were both bad).

coachmac87
06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
dude isn't worth but 10-12 mil a year. He hasn't proved anything and hasn't even made an all-star team yet. And don't give me the old " the west is stacked with PG" argument either..

This is wrong in so many ways

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Ironically enough, it looks like statistically TP actually graded out better than Conley defensively (TP wasn't good BTW - they were both bad).

RPM has Conley by a country mile. Please don't tell me you use defensive rating as it is a team stat. :lmao

ducks
06-27-2016, 04:30 PM
if conley is worried about playing time it is best to pass on him
both tp and conley could play 28 minutes a game and some games tp could just play 10

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:34 PM
RPM has Conley by a country mile. Please don't tell me you use defensive rating as it is a team stat. :lmao

You laugh at a lot of really stupid stuff TBH...RPM is a function of DRPM & ORPM. Offensively, of course he was better than TP. Defensively though, he was not very good at all was the point.

BTW, your boy Conley has a worse RPM than Rubio whom you say is "busted".

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Giving Conley the max is something I'd be hesitant with, so I agree there. But they are going to pay 30 mil the next 2 yrs with Parker anyway -- I'd rather pay Conley 20+ mil than TP at 15 mil. At worst, Spurs have 2 yrs/ 60 million hangover after Tony's contract would have come off the books and by then that figure would be roughly 25% of the cap for only 2 years. And we don't even know if there's any guaranteed big FA they cld use that towards anyway in 17' or 18, or 19'-- Spurs have only landed one big FA in the past 30 years -- nothing is guaranteed in FA and plus any of the great young big FA's coming up in the next 3-4 years are restricted coming off their rookie deals and have huge incentives to re-sign with their own teams. Chips are stacked against SA's chances to really use that money in a better way.

As for Conley, even though giving him the max would be overpaying -- there's reason to believe he'd maybe take a little less if it meant him going to a championship situation. If anyone has read his exit interview from April 25th, you could understand why I'm bringing this up. He said and I quote, " It's all relative, the money -- I don't think it will be a deciding factor. The team, the future of the team -- where the team stands -- obviously money will be a little bit of a factor -- but it won't be. Well this team can offer me the most, so I'm going to go there, no. It's going to be the system, the culture, the management, and the coach, can we win a championship?"

After reading his exit interview -- he may be willing to take a little less than the max -- maybe 18-20 mil per? Who knows? Only time will tell.

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Look at DWS along with DBPM. There are, big picture, both team/individually plenty of stats to say Conley was not very good this year defensively, even over a poor TP.

Could it just be a one year deal? Perhaps, but I'm not paying max to find out.

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:42 PM
You laugh at a lot of really stupid stuff TBH...RPM is a function of DRPM & ORPM. Offensively, of course he was better than TP. Defensively though, he was not very good at all was the point.

BTW, your boy Conley has a worse RPM than Rubio whom you say is "busted".

I saw that. He'd fit terrible though. I was talking about his shooting. :lmao

Tony Parker is washed up now. Took ya 2 years to even get to this point. Its kinda hard to argue with a parkertard though. :lol

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Huh?

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Huh?

We gonna do this again?...

tmtcsc
06-27-2016, 04:47 PM
I like Conley but not for max. No way. I'm not sure what his value to the Spurs would be - maybe what Parker currently makes?

DPG21920
06-27-2016, 04:48 PM
We gonna do this again?...

What? I'm pretty sure this is the first time we have ever even quoted each other TBH..

dabom
06-27-2016, 04:50 PM
What? I'm pretty sure this is the first time we have ever even quoted each other TBH..

I'm pretty sure this isn't. But whatever. Already bored of this thread.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-27-2016, 04:52 PM
So let me get this straight. You fools want to pay a guy more money than Parker when Parker has owned same guy during regular season and playoffs?

TD 21
06-27-2016, 05:09 PM
This reminds me of the Gasol situation in '14 (and I'll be the Gasol situation in '16, too, should Duncan forego retirement). Conley would more than likely sign, if he was a natural fit, but he's not, so he won't. Max players go to the place that checks the most boxes.

Outside of possibly Gasol and fifth big, they're not only not signing a big name, they're probably not acquiring a single name that they don't already have the rights to.

Aldridge/Diaw/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Anderson/Bertans
Duncan or Gasol/Marjanovic/Lorbek?
Green/Ginobili/Simmons
Parker/Mills/Murray

ducks
06-27-2016, 05:11 PM
I would rather trade for cory then max conley
diaw and mills for joseph

tonight...you
06-27-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure this isn't. But whatever. Already bored of this thread.
Don't be weak like Thread using that "bored" shit.
Stand up dude.

Edit: speaking of... I'm going Thread hunting.

NASpurs
06-27-2016, 05:34 PM

Stabula
06-27-2016, 05:39 PM

:lol this guy continues to impress with his stupidity. A true triumph of stupidity. Good job dude not many could be as brain dead as yourself :cheer

Hoops Czar
06-27-2016, 05:44 PM
This reminds me of the Gasol situation in '14 (and I'll be the Gasol situation in '16, too, should Duncan forego retirement). Conley would more than likely sign, if he was a natural fit, but he's not, so he won't. Max players go to the place that checks the most boxes.

Outside of possibly Gasol and fifth big, they're not only not signing a big name, they're probably not acquiring a single name that they don't already have the rights to.

Aldridge/Diaw/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Anderson/Bertans
Duncan or Gasol/Marjanovic/Lorbek?
Green/Ginobili/Simmons
Parker/Mills/Murray

That lineup has a 0% chance of winning a championship. If I could give a lower percentage than 0, I would. If this is true, then Duncan and Ginobili should just retire now because they have nothing left to play for.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2016, 05:50 PM

:pop: To bad I already committed to Bonner

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2016, 05:52 PM
That lineup has a 0% chance of winning a championship. If I could give a lower percentage than 0, I would. If this is true, then Duncan and Ginobili should just retire now because they have nothing left to play for.

:pop: Just wait till I extend Parker again.. He's owed a max figure, he's never been maxed

Ice009
06-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Purposely injuring himself? In order to get overpaid? Seriously?

Some days this place makes my brain hurt.

I was going to reply to that, but just left it. I'm glad someone else did. What a weird statement. How in the heck would you get paid more if you're always injured, and doing it on purpose to boot. LOL. This place is brilliant.

ducks
06-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Humm

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Not only does it not make sense with Parker on the roster, but Conley is coming off 2 consecutive injury-plagued seasons, and his style of play probably won't translate well to his post-physical prime stage(defensive specialist, not a natural shooter or passer)..

Maddog
06-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Not only does it not make sense with Parker on the roster, but Conley is coming off 2 consecutive injury-plagued seasons, and his style of play probably won't translate well to his post-physical prime stage(defensive specialist, not a natural shooter or passer)..

In addition- his salary....
Not sure what the Spurs should do as far as backup PG/Co-point, but I think Conley is not the greatest of options.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 08:16 AM

Please list the injuries that plagued him

keeferob25
06-28-2016, 08:49 AM
What is everyone's impressions of Tony Wroten? Not saying he's ideal but just trying to get feedback because I like his size (won't be a mismatch defensively due to size like Parker and Mills) and he has sort of a John Wall/James Harden style of pushing tempo/driving the basket which I can see garnering fouls. We desperately need someone who is a threat to penetrate to assist in "kick" opportunities. He's had an injury this past year so that's a negative. And he's not a shooter, but Chip can work that. He could likely be had at a decent price.

I LOVE Conley but I do think his stock is trending downward with these two injuries and he's not a max player. He's of the Horford ilk...you damn sure would want him because he can do some good things but he's not a true centerpiece.

TheDoctor
06-28-2016, 08:55 AM
What is everyone's impressions of Tony Wroten? Not saying he's ideal but just trying to get feedback because I like his size (won't be a mismatch defensively due to size like Parker and Mills) and he has sort of a John Wall/James Harden style of pushing tempo/driving the basket which I can see garnering fouls. We desperately need someone who is a threat to penetrate to assist in "kick" opportunities. He's had an injury this past year so that's a negative. And he's not a shooter, but Chip can work that. He could likely be had at a decent price.

I LOVE Conley but I do think his stock is trending downward with these two injuries and he's not a max player. He's of the Horford ilk...you damn sure would want him because he can do some good things but he's not a true centerpiece.

You say like trading somebody for Wroten?

jyra
06-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Already claimed by the Grizzlies: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2648607-tony-wroten-to-grizzlies-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction
Not sure if there's much a difference between him and Simmons anyway outside his age.

montgod
06-28-2016, 09:09 AM
So the guy who covers the rival Mavs who are rumoured to want Conley is saying his sources say Conley has concerns about SA. K.

Good point. Never put one past the Mavs since they don't have any real centerpiece players to build around anymore if no one comes.

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Please list the injuries that plagued him

He's been hurt in 2 consecutive playoffs and just missed 26 games this past season..terrible sign for a player on the wrong side of his physical prime..

2015: https://fansided.com/2015/05/19/mike-conley-nba-playoffs-injuries-grizzlies/

2016: Achilles tendon, missed 26 games + playoffs

The Spurs already paid a speed-reliant PG a lot of money(at the time) when he was past his physical prime and it we have seen the negative impact it has had..hopefully they don't make the same mistake (not to mention Parker is much more skilled than Conley, Conley's game will age even worse IMO)

raybies
06-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Don't want Conley unless we trade Parker. I think signing Conley and his lofty contract expectations would be just doing something to do something. Imo it's Durant, Pau, one year deals to try again next year. Unless somehow we get the space to sign Durant then trade Parker for Conley. Is that even possible? Or is it one or the other? Maybe that's why we are looking at so many super cheap options.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
He's been hurt in 2 consecutive playoffs and just missed 26 games this past season..terrible sign for a player on the wrong side of his physical prime..

2015: https://fansided.com/2015/05/19/mike-conley-nba-playoffs-injuries-grizzlies/

The Spurs already paid a speed-reliant PG a lot of money(at the time) when he was past his physical prime and it we have seen the negative impact it has had..hopefully they don't make the same mistake (not to mention Parker is much more skilled than Conley, Conley's game will age even worse IMO)

He broke his face and had a strained Achilles. Those arent plaguing injuries. Unlike Parker..Conley can actually handle the ball and is a better passer. You're really selling Conley short...

look_at_g_shred
06-28-2016, 10:09 AM

I don't like the fact that we are going after him either but correct me if i'm wrong. Conley has never been known for his 'speed'.

Chinook
06-28-2016, 10:13 AM
He broke his face and had a strained Achilles. Those arent plaguing injuries. Unlike Parker..Conley can actually handle the ball and is a better passer. You're really selling Conley short...

Parker made almost 1.5 times as much as Conley last year. If that doesn't say Tony is better, I don't know what does.

cjw
06-28-2016, 10:21 AM

Parker made almost 1.5 times as much as Conley last year. If that doesn't say Tony is better, I don't know what does.

Wow, a basketball player got hurt? Shocking.

I think shutting him down with the Achilles had to do with the fact that the Grizzlies were going nowhere without Gasol anyway, and he likely didn't want to play through an injury with free agency coming up. It's not like he had a Wes Matthews Achilles tear.

Since his rookie season, he's missed and 0, 2, 1, 4, 2, 9 (sprained ankle - it happens in basketball), 12 (foot sprain and wrist - could have played down stretch but rested for playoffs ... plus broken face) games before last season.

The Achilles injury was nagging and he probably should have never come back. But no injuries the same.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 10:22 AM

Stop with that crap Chinook LMAO...

But BTW Parker got that $$ thanks to his MVP run..

SASdynasty!
06-28-2016, 10:23 AM
We really want a PG who has never shot above 45%? Parker hasn't shot less than 48% in 13 years.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 10:32 AM
We really want a PG who has never shot above 45%? Parker hasn't shot less than 48% in 13 years.

Are you saying Parker is better than Conley?? Westbrook never had a higher percentage but I'm sure you'd take him in a heartbeat

SASdynasty!
06-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Giving Conley the max is something I'd be hesitant with, so I agree there. But they are going to pay 30 mil the next 2 yrs with Parker anyway -- I'd rather pay Conley 20+ mil than TP at 15 mil. At worst, Spurs have 2 yrs/ 60 million hangover after Tony's contract would have come off the books and by then that figure would be roughly 25% of the cap for only 2 years. And we don't even know if there's any guaranteed big FA they cld use that towards anyway in 17' or 18, or 19'-- Spurs have only landed one big FA in the past 30 years -- nothing is guaranteed in FA and plus any of the great young big FA's coming up in the next 3-4 years are restricted coming off their rookie deals and have huge incentives to re-sign with their own teams. Chips are stacked against SA's chances to really use that money in a better way.

As for Conley, even though giving him the max would be overpaying -- there's reason to believe he'd maybe take a little less if it meant him going to a championship situation. If anyone has read his exit interview from April 25th, you could understand why I'm bringing this up. He said and I quote, " It's all relative, the money -- I don't think it will be a deciding factor. The team, the future of the team -- where the team stands -- obviously money will be a little bit of a factor -- but it won't be. Well this team can offer me the most, so I'm going to go there, no. It's going to be the system, the culture, the management, and the coach, can we win a championship?"

After reading his exit interview -- he may be willing to take a little less than the max -- maybe 18-20 mil per? Who knows? Only time will tell.
Wow...so you're talking about paying a guy $20 million who has NEVER ONCE:

-Averaged more than 17 PPG (Parker has in 7 seasons)
-Averaged more than 6.5 APG (Parker has in 4 seasons)
-Shot better than 45% from the field (Parker has in 13 seasons)
-Won a game past the 2nd round of the playoffs (Parker has in 7 seasons)

And yet you complain about Parker making at the absolute max $15 million? So a career loser who will never make the Finals, got embarrassed by Parker on the regular in the RS and especially the playoffs you want to pay $20 million to? Like I always say, thank goodness you guys aren't in our front office or we'd be a perpetual lottery team at best.

SASdynasty!
06-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Are you saying Parker is better than Conley?? Westbrook never had a higher percentage but I'm sure you'd take him in a heartbeat
Heck no I wouldn't take Westbrick over Parker. A career choker who shoots his team out of the playoffs every year (even though he has an MVP right next to him and a stacked cast)?

Spur|n|Austin
06-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Heck no I wouldn't take Westbrick over Parker. A career choker who shoots his team out of the playoffs every year (even though he has an MVP right next to him and a stacked cast)?

lol wut

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Fair enough. Just thought it was irrelevant to bring up FG% when it comes to comparing Conley/Parker on Spurs. Conley on Spurs makes sense for a couple of reasons.

1. Conley is the better defender
2. Conley is 5-6 years younger
3. Conley is used to being a facilitator and creator. His focus was getting Z-Bo and Gasol looks. Parker is a score first PG who struggled being the third wheel...and is useless off the ball.

SASdynasty!
06-28-2016, 10:54 AM
lol wut
Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear. I would rather have a solid PG who knows how to run an offense, shoot the ball well, and not fold under pressure than a career chucker who shoots a terrible percentage and always folds in the biggest moments, which is why he will never win a title. With guys like him an CP3 (career chokers with stacked teams and good coaches), you'll get all the flash during the regular season, but come playoff time, they'll try to shine, but never have had what it takes to finish off games, which is why both of those guys have choked away 3-1 leads in the playoffs.

SASdynasty!
06-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Fair enough. Just thought it was irrelevant to bring up FG% when it comes to comparing Conley/Parker on Spurs. Conley on Spurs makes sense for a couple of reasons.

3. Conley is used to being a facilitator and creator. His focus was getting Z-Bo and Gasol looks. Parker is a score first PG who struggled being the third wheel...and is useless off the ball.
The first 2 are true, but if he's such a great facilitator, why does he have terrible assist numbers throughout his career? He's literally never averaged 7 assists for a single season. That's awful. And he's a TERRIBLE shooter who disappears in the playoffs. And now he's already injury prone and he's not even 30 yet. I would have rather us drafter a true PG who is 20 or so and worked him in behind Parker in these last few seasons of Parker's career. He could be ready to take over by 22-23, whereas Conley is going to be in his 30's by the time Parker is phasing out.

buttsR4rebounding
06-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Anderson is barely above min level salary. As you said his caphold will still be there that's why the narrative is that they would need to move Danny. If you consider that Danny can net a lottery level pick, then the whole idea starts to make more sense.

:tu

Hoops Czar
06-28-2016, 11:38 AM

In a free agent market where FA's are going to get paid, Conley for the max isn't such a terrible deal unless you're into paying someone with a lot less talent the same amount of money or close to it. You're basically paying for Conley's prime years (28-32 yrs of age), not paying for a player's decline like in the case of Parker. His injuries are neither the lingering type or career threatening so it's not a huge concern. Sure, there's risk involved but that's the nature of the business. I pity the fool who maxes out Ezili :lol.

Unless you're into maxing out Teague in 2017 or wooing a 33 year old CP3 in 2018, there aren't a whole lot of better choices at the pg position in the near future. The Spurs lack flexibility in that they don't have assets to make trades for impact players unless you part ways with a rotation player like Green or an expiring Diaw (probable the team's only movable assets). Conley's no revelation but, he's the best they've had at the pg position since 2013. Either do something and try to get this team back into the championship contention or do nothing and pretend like LMA and Leonard can lead this team to a championship with this roster.

TheGoldStandard
06-28-2016, 11:40 AM
:rollin At someone taking Parker over Westbrook. LOL

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2016, 11:56 AM

He's been injured and missed playoff games in 2 consecutive seasons, as he approaches the age where PGs begin to break down(30)..that's a legit concern IMO..

As for the latter part, I'm not comparing current Parker to current Conley..I'm comparing the situations, re: Spurs signing Parker around age 30 after his peak season(2013) vs. signing Conley as he's breaking down following his peak season(2013/2014)..Parker's skill-set was always going to be a concern as his broke down, physically, but his natural talent level easily surpasses Conley IMO(footwork is on a whole different universe, better passer, better shooter, etc)..

Conley is a defensive specialist, that's his biggest asset(which is going to naturally decline, with age)..offensively, he's nothing special, he has never had a standout offensive season, even at his peak..

Furthermore, the Spurs are going to pay 35+ mil per year for the PG position the next 2 seasons? Sounds disgusting:lol

raybies
06-28-2016, 12:03 PM

Great points! With ball dominant players like KL and LMA a pass first guard that plays defense and can shoot the three should theoretically be a good match.

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't like the fact that we are going after him either but correct me if i'm wrong. Conley has never been known for his 'speed'.

He's a defensive PG in an era without hand-checking..his lateral quickness is the most important part of his game IMO..

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 12:12 PM
The first 2 are true, but if he's such a great facilitator, why does he have terrible assist numbers throughout his career? He's literally never averaged 7 assists for a single season. That's awful. And he's a TERRIBLE shooter who disappears in the playoffs. And now he's already injury prone and he's not even 30 yet. I would have rather us drafter a true PG who is 20 or so and worked him in behind Parker in these last few seasons of Parker's career. He could be ready to take over by 22-23, whereas Conley is going to be in his 30's by the time Parker is phasing out.

Name shooters Conley has played with? He had 2 big men as focal points in the offense..It's a shame Parker never averaged more assist tbh.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 12:18 PM
He's been injured and missed playoff games in 2 consecutive seasons, as he approaches the age where PGs begin to break down(30)..that's a legit concern IMO..

As for the latter part, I'm not comparing current Parker to current Conley..I'm comparing the situations, re: Spurs signing Parker around age 30 after his peak season(2013) vs. signing Conley as he's breaking down following his peak season(2013/2014)..Parker's skill-set was always going to be a concern as his broke down, physically, but his natural talent level easily surpasses Conley IMO(footwork is on a whole different universe, better passer, better shooter, etc)..

Conley is a defensive specialist, that's his biggest asset(which is going to naturally decline, with age)..offensively, he's nothing special, he has never had a standout offensive season, even at his peak..

Furthermore, the Spurs are going to pay 35+ mil per year for the PG position the next 2 seasons? Sounds disgusting:lol

A plaguing injured player would be somebody like Rose. Not Conley. You're really selling him short. He's been the Grizzlies best player the past 2 seasons and he's held his own against top guards recently. You're complaining about paying Conley but would you rather over pay for a Jermey Lin at 14M or Delly at 10M+? It's FA you're going to over pay regardless..so aim for the better talent.

Conley is the better basketball player at this point than Parker and it's not even close..you can't compare their age or bodies either since Parker has more mileage on his tires and his decline didn't really hit until he was 32. Which ironically will be the age of Conley when his contract expires.

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 12:28 PM

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 12:30 PM

cd021
06-28-2016, 12:44 PM

I think that the meeting between the two sides should clear up any questions. Conley starts and Parker slides into a sixth man role. Not starting is a sacrifice but it isn't a major drop off in minutes compared to last season (27.5 mpg).

Minutes at PG/SG/=
Conley-27/5/=32
Parker-21/0/=21

TheDoctor
06-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Heck no I wouldn't take Westbrick over Parker...

https://cdn.discourse.org/boingboing/uploads/default/original/3X/1/0/1030b9e23bb5cf6c8ef5da6567e3dbf40c41def5.gif

gambit1990
06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
:rollin At someone taking Parker over Westbrook. LOL

keeferob25
06-28-2016, 01:02 PM
I think that the meeting between the two sides should clear up any questions. Conley starts and Parker slides into a sixth man role. Not starting is a sacrifice but it isn't a major drop off in minutes compared to last season (27.5 mpg).

Minutes at PG/SG/=
Conley-27/5/=32
Parker-21/0/=21

Theoretically it works in terms of minutes. But what is Conley's max level? You don't think its absolutely INSANE to have likely over 30 million tied to PGs in that scenario? That's like a THIRD of the cap! Parker HAS to go if Conley was signed.

Duncan2177
06-28-2016, 01:06 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/34167786.jpg