PDA

View Full Version : A Sit-In on the House Floor Over Gun Control

RandomGuy
06-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Congressional Democrats, led by Representative John Lewis, are protesting the House’s refusal to vote on gun-control measures. We’re providing live updates of their protest, and reactions, as it continues.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/house-democrats-gun-control-sit-in/488264/

Given the support in the public for the measures, it seems another win for the Democrats even if nothing happens.

Someone has to stand up to the NRA.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Tomorrow will it be tantrums and hissy fits? Maybe hold their breath until they turn blue?...:lol

boutons_deux
06-22-2016, 03:10 PM
what's this? the 4 proposals were already voted down by the $36M NRA whores.

Gun control ain't gonna pass a Repug Senate.

IceColdBrewski
06-22-2016, 03:25 PM
"Psst...hey guys. Remember that move in kindergarten when we'd throw ourselves to the floor and refuse to move until we got our way? Let's give that a try. Ready, BREAK!"

Spurminator
06-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Filibusters/demonstrations are always silly when it's the other team.

InRareForm
06-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Good

boutons_deux
06-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Ryan apparently calling in the police to drag out the protesters.

Harry Callahan
06-22-2016, 09:34 PM
John Lewis is the guy who said 20 million slaves fell overboard back in the day. A real mental midget.

ducks
06-22-2016, 11:08 PM
These people need a paddle on their butts
What are they 3

spurraider21
06-22-2016, 11:36 PM
democracy isn't supposed to be about which group can stomp their feet harder and shout louder

ducks
06-22-2016, 11:38 PM
4 meeting need to sit down discuss things like adults

boutons_deux
06-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Dems aren't gonna take the Repug strict obstructionism/blocking legit govt business, willful misgovernance.

Repeal ACA 60+ times? Who are the fucking adults in there?

ducks
06-22-2016, 11:51 PM
Nancy is not in there she outside talking to people and she is not an adult

Aztecfan03
06-23-2016, 03:11 AM
Nancy is not in there she outside talking to people and she is not an adult
Pelosi is one of the most hypocritical pieces of shit in Congress.

TeyshaBlue
06-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Pelosi determined this would be a great fundraising opoortunity. "As the sit-in continued, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee used the opportunity to fundraise, with Pelosi telling supporters, "I need 6,000 gifts in the door during tonight's sit-in. Will you pitch in $1?"
Smh.

mrsmaalox
06-23-2016, 07:56 AM
:lmao :lmao cracks me up to read this thread after the nose holding and feet stomping of the last 8 years you all supported. You guys don't like it when the other side does it huh? :lol

boutons_deux
06-23-2016, 07:58 AM
Pelosi determined this would be a great fundraising opoortunity. "As the sit-in continued, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee used the opportunity to fundraise, with Pelosi telling supporters, "I need 6,000 gifts in the door during tonight's sit-in. Will you pitch in $1?"
Smh.

The highest value is American life is money. If you don't have (enough) money, you're immoral, a fraud, a taker, a moocher, sub-human.

Having lots of money validates you to 10Ms of Americans, even if one is wealthy fraud, fake, liar, probably criminal, con man, demagogue running for President.

No Congressional politicians does anything without getting paid for it. Every vote in Congress is driven by the calculaiton "how can I fund raise off my vote".

And you pick on Pelosi for fundraising on a Dem event to force Repugs to expose themselves as against gun control?

boutons_deux
06-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Ryan adjourns House until after 4th of July recess.

Repugs accomplish same wonderful progress for America whether they are (rarely) in session or on recess.

ducks
06-23-2016, 09:30 AM
House already voted on the bill and it did not pass

boutons_deux
06-23-2016, 09:53 AM
House already voted on the bill and it did not pass

The recent vote was in the Senate. House Repugs are blocking the vote completely, just like they did when given a immigration bill passed by the Repug Senate.

FromWayDowntown
06-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Ryan dismisses this as a publicity stunt, but isn't that what most of American politics is at this point, anyway? It seems to me that both sides have a great interest in taking an existing situation and finding a way to exploit it to show themselves to be "on the side of the American people" and to make good headlines for a while, knowing that nothing will happen and nothing will change.

I will say, though, that while the recent filibuster and the continuing sit-in aren't going to immediately change the law, they do seem to mimic what I perceive to be the frustration with the broader public about the utter unwillingness to even consider relatively reasonable changes in gun law. That seems likely to become a very simple and clarifying principle of the Democrats in the fall and it may actually give them some traction in November.

Trill Clinton
06-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Filibusters/demonstrations are always silly when it's the other team.

:lmao :lmao cracks me up to read this thread after the nose holding and feet stomping of the last 8 years you all supported. You guys don't like it when the other side does it huh? :lol

:tu

Spurminator
06-23-2016, 11:05 AM
FIRST THEY CAME FOR MY ASSAULT RIFLE.

BY SEAN CARMAN (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/authors/sean-carman)
[Originally published January 14, 2013.]

First, they came for unregulated handguns in the possession of citizens with violent criminal records, and I said, “You know, that sounds reasonable. Someone with a violent criminal record has probably lost his or her right to possess a handgun. So, yeah, sounds good.”

Then they came to require background checks, gun licenses, and regular gun safety courses, and I said, “All of this sounds fine to me. Guns are dangerous, and we regulate every other dangerous product. So, really, whatever you want to do on this is also fine.”

Then they came for my assault rifle, and I said, “Assault rifles? You should have started with assault rifles. You’re doing this backwards. But OK, of course you can have my assault rifle. Why do I need an assault rifle?”

Then they came to guarantee mental health care to everyone, because our treatment of our most vulnerable citizens is a measure of our dignity as a society, and I said, “This one is obvious. In fact, I can’t believe we HAVEN’T been guaranteeing mental health care for everyone who needs it. Let’s get going on this.”

Then they said, “We may have to increase taxes on corporations and upper-bracket income earners to pay for this,” and I said, “Well, that would only be fair.” And they said, “We’re just saying.” And I said, “Really, it’s fine. We’re on the same page here.” And they said, “OK then.” And I said, “But thanks for letting me know.” And they said, “Sure. Any time.”

Then they said, “You know, it’s really nice that we’re having this conversation,” and I said, “I agree, seems long overdue.”

Then they said, “You know, this piece seems fine so far. But maybe it takes itself a little too seriously, even in the solemn wake of our national tragedy,” and I said, “I can live with that. What do you want?” And they said, “How about a zombie comically roaming through a suburban strip mall at the height of the holiday shopping season?” And I said, “Well, even that reliable humorous convention might seem a little indelicate at this time.” And they said, “I see your point,” but still I said, “Let’s add one anyway!” And so we added a zombie comically roaming through a suburban strip mall at the height of the holiday shopping season, and for good measure I threw in a bumbling couple on their first date spilling their over-sized bucket of popcorn as they scrambled to get out of the way.

And then there was a silence, which was like a moment of prayer. And this was just before we went our separate ways, and it lasted a good minute—I mean, maybe it was only 45 seconds, but it felt like at least a minute, maybe more.

And when it was over they said, “I see what you mean about the zombie.”

And then there was another silence, that was maybe not as long, and I just looked down and said, “Yeah, I know.”

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/first-they-came-for-my-assault-rifle

ducks
06-23-2016, 11:09 AM
amazing in 2008 when republicans did something and they said it was against the rules they stopped

they are not allowed to use cell phones in the house and they do and post things on social media breaking the rules and are told to stop they refuse
are they above the law like Clinton?

ducks
06-23-2016, 11:10 AM
The recent vote was in the Senate. House Repugs are blocking the vote completely, just like they did when given a immigration bill passed by the Repug Senate.

on cnn last night representive(from Indiana) said they voted on the bill and it did not pass

boutons_deux
06-23-2016, 11:35 AM
on cnn last night representive(from Indiana) said they voted on the bill and it did not pass

Voted down by the full House, or voted down in a Repug committee?

boutons_deux
06-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Repugs War on (poor) Vaginas continues

House Republicans used the sit-in to vote on a Zika bill that targeted Planned Parenthood

Ryan held some procedural votes on when the House would reconvene to vote on emergency funding to address the Zika virus. The votes were held at 2:30 am, and the Zika bill passed.

It was a surreal moment, the likes of which Washington insiders say they’ve never seen. But the actual content (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/770030b9be2a48cd87a4efc7add62c92/house-passes-11b-zika-bill-over-democratic-opposition) of that Zika bill, which passed the House, really was business as usual for congressional Republicans: it conditioned government funding for women’s health on excluding Planned Parenthood.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/12014360/zika-sit-in-democrats-gop-house

RandomGuy
06-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Tomorrow will it be tantrums and hissy fits? Maybe hold their breath until they turn blue?...:lol

Good for them.

Fuck the GOP. They have turned into a bunch of cowards afraid to stand up to the NRA, and have blood on their hands.

I hope they keep it up, and fully support them.

RandomGuy
06-23-2016, 04:35 PM
amazing in 2008 when republicans did something and they said it was against the rules they stopped

they are not allowed to use cell phones in the house and they do and post things on social media breaking the rules and are told to stop they refuse
are they above the law like Clinton?

If breaking a law against cell phones on the house floor is what it takes to get the cowards in Congress to stand up for average Americans... who the fuck cares?

RandomGuy
06-23-2016, 04:36 PM
democracy isn't supposed to be about which group can stomp their feet harder and shout louder

actually, it kinda is.

ducks
06-23-2016, 05:11 PM
If breaking a law against cell phones on the house floor is what it takes to get the cowards in Congress to stand up for average Americans... who the fuck cares?

so who cares about laws and regulations
so lets destroy all the laws and not pay taxes and say we are standing up for the average americans
gov is wasting my money so why should I pay

do you think that will work out well?

Spurminator
06-23-2016, 05:13 PM
That's a hell of a slippery slope there, duckie.

TeyshaBlue
06-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Good for them.

Fuck the GOP. They have turned into a bunch of cowards afraid to stand up to the NRA, and have blood on their hands.

I hope they keep it up, and fully support them.

Dont forget to send Pelosi your check.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Yeah between Pelosi, Schumer, Wasserman, Reid and Obama I cannot support the Democratic party even if I like the GOP less.

Case by case is the only way and there isn't much to like at all.

TeyshaBlue
06-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Need a running-mate? :lol

z0sa
06-24-2016, 02:07 AM
A sit in honestly feels cute when Barack, with above 52% approval ratings, wont say radical islam.

Control guns. Give conservatime Muslims a rick called the USA to cling to. Seems obvious to me..

RandomGuy
06-24-2016, 09:48 AM

I will, actually. Thanks for the reminder.

RandomGuy
06-24-2016, 10:22 AM
so who cares about laws and regulations
so lets destroy all the laws and not pay taxes and say we are standing up for the average americans
gov is wasting my money so why should I pay

do you think that will work out well?

It would not work out well.

It is also very silly to think that even makes sense. You are therefore a silly person.

Please read what a slippery slope logical fallacy is, and stop being silly.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html

Your concern is flawed, because that is not even close to what I am, or would advocate, nor is it even likely.