PDA

View Full Version : Spurs were looking to move up, Hawks now own 12th pick...

SquawkinHawkBigCock
06-22-2016, 03:00 PM
:wow.....tbh....

Could there be another under-the-table deal in the work?

Chinook
06-22-2016, 03:01 PM
I swear, if the Spurs get 12 without moving Kawhi, LMA, Green or future draft picks...

BatManu20
06-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Just read that the Hawks are trying to trade both their 1st-round picks to clear up cap space to re-sign Horford..

BatManu20
06-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Per Marc Stein

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2016, 03:10 PM
I swear, if the Spurs get 12 without moving Kawhi, LMA, Green or future draft picks...
Tbh Green shouldn't be in the same sentence as those two names

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 03:12 PM

How is that possible? At least it looks like ATL is going to try and move up w those picks or shed salary.

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 03:12 PM
hawks shoulda blown it up earlier this year like i had said. shoulda traded horford when they had the chance.

them trying to resign him... wtf are they trying to do, be the best or second best mediocre team in the league? :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Doing it to make re-signing Horford easier could either mean 1. shedding salary 2. adding solid vets to convince him to come back.

If it's 2, Diaw+Mills+28 for 12?

K...
06-22-2016, 03:15 PM
hawks shoulda blown it up earlier this year like i had said. shoulda traded horford when they had the chance.

them trying to resign him... wtf are they trying to do, be the best or second best mediocre team in the league? :lol

How does losing a FA help them? Are you advocating a hard tank for them?

keeferob25
06-22-2016, 03:17 PM

I think Green almost has to be gone to get that pick. Maybe Anderson instead??

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 03:24 PM
How does losing a FA help them? Are you advocating a hard tank for them?
if their offseason is going to revolve around resigning a player that isn't a difference maker... then they're taking the wrong approach.

i know how hard it is for you to understand... basically anything.

Mnky
06-22-2016, 03:31 PM
if their offseason is going to revolve around resigning a player that isn't a difference maker... then they're taking the wrong approach.

Literally no one else they sign as a free agent could have the same impact. They would all be downgrades. They're not in full rebuild mode, so drafting someone years away just waste other places they have ready to compete. Why do people believe you can make 2K business decisions in real life .. :lol

houston spurs fan
06-22-2016, 03:37 PM
I don't really understand this move by Atlanta. Not surprised Teague got moved as Schroeder moves into the starting role. But what do you get in return? 12th pick? He's a quality staring point guard, think they could have gotten more. The draft is top heavy, not sure there is a lot of value at 12

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Literally no one else they sign as a free agent could have the same impact. They would all be downgrades. They're not in full rebuild mode, so drafting someone years away just waste other places they have ready to compete. Why do people believe you can make 2K business decisions in real life .. :lol
is there an option in 2k to not spend major money on a player only to remain eastern conference playoff fodder? they should save that money until next summer.

they might as well tank this year tbh.

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 03:42 PM
I don't really understand this move by Atlanta. Not surprised Teague got moved as Schroeder moves into the starting role. But what do you get in return? 12th pick? He's a quality staring point guard, think they could have gotten more. The draft is top heavy, not sure there is a lot of value at 12

Cap space

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 03:44 PM

They got a lottery pick for a guy who was expiring and they won't re-sign + even more cap space to sign free agents. Getting a lottery pick for a mediocre player on an expiring deal makes sense to me.

K...
06-22-2016, 03:52 PM

I understand you're general complaint, but given your confident statement I thought you might have a better plan for them.

No top tier FA is going to atl based on history. This team has gotten into the thick of the eastern conf playoffs with a lackluster talent level. I think it's worth it to try again

UNT Eagles 2016
06-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Parker for #12 straight up. ATL needs a PG after trading away Teague and Schroeder is a chucker.

Do it, Mitch!

peacemaker885
06-22-2016, 03:57 PM
For Bud's sake, I hope it pans out whoever they get.

szkorhetz
06-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Parker for #12 straight up. ATL needs a PG after trading away Teague and Schroeder is a chucker.

Do it, Mitch!
So basically ATL would get a worse PG with double salary. Bud would be fired on the spot.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-22-2016, 03:59 PM
So basically ATL would get a worse PG with double salary. Bud would be fired on the spot.

And then we hire him back and we once again have a competent assistant coach. Win for us

Spurs9
06-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Oh man :wow

Cklbmk
06-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Dont see how we get that pick without trading Green

dbestpro
06-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Maybe the Spurs take the 12 pick, and Splitter for Diaw and some spare change. Atlanta then cuts Diaw, and gets the money they need to sign Horford. Maybe a future number one gets thrown into the pie to balance the scales.

Spurs9
06-22-2016, 04:18 PM
We will probably get the pick tbh, Hawks helped us out last year to land Aldridge. Anyone outside leonard aldridge is tradeable for spurs.

SAGirl
06-22-2016, 04:19 PM
I think Green almost has to be gone to get that pick. Maybe Anderson instead??
Anderson I think can get us 21, it has to be Danny to get into the lottery, a proven player. ATL had liked Anderson a lot in 2014 and brought him in for workouts twice. Then they went and selected Adreian Payne. Maybe they regret that choice. Skinny 22 yr old forward playmaker can help their bench since they are promoting Schrooder to start. But he's not a proven guy to net 12 just yet, unless they are that generous. However, they look like they want to shed salary right? Cap issues always get me confused.

Mr. Body
06-22-2016, 04:22 PM
I like Kyle Anderson but don't think he's worth much.

baseline bum
06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Who is worth getting at #12? I haven't watched a second of college ball since the 2011 lockout ended.

cd98
06-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Are they looking to trade the 12th pick for an expiring contract? I'm assuming if they want cap space, they want to completely clear it. They don't want to add another player w/ years and $$$.

Spurs9
06-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Who is worth getting at #12? I haven't watched a second of college ball since the 2011 lockout ended.

TBH theres alot of talent in this draft, I have no idea how low some may drop. But for me Jaylen Brown, Denzel Valentine, Wade Baldwin. Denzel Valentine could be had at 12 I think and would be really solid. If we could get Jaylen Brown at point it would be crazy, he is probably top 5 though. Even in the high 20s thon maker, cheick Diallo could be good projects. I have no doubt the Spurs have done plenty of research and know the guy they want which may not be obvious to other people. Last time spurs were aggressive in the draft you saw how it worked out. They wont really try to move up in the draft every year, but when they do it generally works out.

tholdren
06-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Let me break it down for you. The consensus number one is the 6'10 version of evan turner, but a worse FT shooter. There is no one solid all around, outside of Buddy. Everyone else is not someone I would move up for nor could you build around. For the spurs to move up - they should dump parker, and then, it's only addition by subtraction. This draft is bad. If people think it's not, the nba is about to be even more-so than it already is.

BatManu20
06-22-2016, 04:39 PM
This guy Juan Hernangomez just sounds like a guy who's destined to be a Spur tbh :lol

TD 21
06-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Maybe the Spurs take the 12 pick, and Splitter for Diaw and some spare change. Atlanta then cuts Diaw, and gets the money they need to sign Horford. Maybe a future number one gets thrown into the pie to balance the scales.

Aside from Green straight up, this is the only other possibility (in this scenario, the deal couldn't be made official until a year to the day of them trading Splitter). Even then, it's difficult to imagine the Hawks giving up 12 without getting Mills, 29 or both.

I don't doubt that they want to re-sign Bazemore, but I also think that, if they could get Green, a better version, who'll make less going forward and knows the system, they'd do it.

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Would be a great deal for the Hawks, tbh..only makes sense for the Spurs if they can hit a HR in Free Agency..otherwise, they're trading a key player on a great contract for a mid-range pick in what is essentially a move for the future..risky..

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Would be a great deal for the Hawks, tbh..only makes sense for the Spurs if they can hit a HR in Free Agency..otherwise, they're trading a key player on a great contract for a mid-range pick in what is essentially a move for the future..risky..

It would be a steal for the Hawks. They get another elite shooter, playoff performer and the top SG defender in the league.

For the Spurs, it could be win as well, but that is predicated on not only whom they draft, but what they do with the cap space. If they don't hit on both, it could end up really hurting. I can see why SA might do that if they can't move Boris/Mills and they really want cap space, but it's very risky.

Unless they have a guy in the draft they love like Kawhi, it makes it tough even though it's decent enough value.

But SA needs to move Boris/Mills/Tp before Danny - they just might not be able to. I'm hoping SA might just be able to flat out buy a pick with money in the late first.

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2016, 04:56 PM
It would be a steal for the Hawks. They get another elite shooter, playoff performer and the top SG defender in the league.

For the Spurs, it could be win as well, but that is predicated on not only whom they draft, but what they do with the cap space. If they don't hit on both, it could end up really hurting. I can see why SA might do that if they can't move Boris/Mills and they really want cap space, but it's very risky.

Unless they have a guy in the draft they love like Kawhi, it makes it tough even though it's decent enough value.

But SA needs to move Boris/Mills/Tp before Danny - they just might not be able to. I'm hoping SA might just be able to flat out buy a pick with money in the late first.

Assuming Green's playoff performance salvaged his value(which is probable, considering his history), he's probably the only Spur with any value, so it makes sense to move him, in that regard..

I don't think Kyle Anderson has significant value, even at his attractive age, tbh..Diaw is a high-risk cancer on any team other than the Spurs, as we have seen in the past..Patty might have a little value, but I think we've seen enough to know that he's more of a situational player..

tbear280
06-22-2016, 04:57 PM
Don't they owe us for the splitter deal? We didn't get back anything for him but a prospect? I know they helped us out so we could land lma, but maybe now their gonna help us out and return the favor?

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 04:58 PM

That would be a fantastic trade. You get a lottery pick to keep adding youth, get a big man you know fits very well and is needed (on a reasonable deal for just 2 years) and it doesn't do anything to hit your cap space (as is right now with Boris not waived).

You can still trade Mills or Parker (or maybe even Danny) to clear more cap space if you need too, so you are really worst case only adding 5M in salary (Boris' partial guarantee vs Tiago's contract) and you get the lottery pick and useful player.

If ATL goal is to clear cap space (which we don't know yet - but it's likely) this is a great way for them to do so.

But getting 5M in cap space for the 12th pick seems like a steep price to me (because they likely won't get any other players in the deal as that defeats the purpose). Might have to give them the 29th pick as well as Boris.

cjw
06-22-2016, 04:58 PM

Half the board who thinks you can get the #12 for Parker hasn't watched an NBA game since 2013.

I was thinking this too, as Diaw-Splitter contracts work and Diaw would only cost $600k (albeit for 5 years) to stretch while Splitter would cost $2.8mm each of 3 years to split.

That said, would the Hawks really give up the #12 pick to save $2.2 million on the cap this year, and $5 million in aggregate?

TD 21
06-22-2016, 04:59 PM

No, it would only make sense for the Spurs if they think Baldwin (I'm guessing he'd be the target, just because he'd theoretically fill a blatant need that's not easily addressable in free agency) is good enough to make it worthwhile, because Afflalo/Lee would be the likely replacement and they'd be a downgrade.

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 04:59 PM
I understand you're general complaint, but given your confident statement I thought you might have a better plan for them.

No top tier FA is going to atl based on history. This team has gotten into the thick of the eastern conf playoffs with a lackluster talent level. I think it's worth it to try again
my plan for them is the best plan. and "no top tier FA is going to atl based on history"? same with sa until we landed lma.

like i said, resigning horford only to go nowhere in the playoffs leaves them in the same spot they're already in.

if they tank this year whatever draft pick they get could be a valuable, tradable asset.

Spurs9
06-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Don't they owe us for the splitter deal? We didn't get back anything for him but a prospect? I know they helped us out so we could land lma, but maybe now their gonna help us out and return the favor?
They don't "owe" us anything, maybe they have some understanding between the two teams that they would help each other out because of previous relationships. It was a good deal for both teams allowing the Spurs to lock up Aldridge most people didn't think was possible. I definitely see them trading it to the Spurs. The Spurs wanted to move up in the draft so I guarantee you they are already in discussion if they were going to deal it, its just a matter of who the hawks would want for it.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Assuming Green's playoff performance salvaged his value(which is probable, considering his history), he's probably the only Spur with any value, so it makes sense to move him, in that regard..

I don't think Kyle Anderson has significant value, even at his attractive age, tbh..Diaw is a high-risk cancer on any team other than the Spurs, as we have seen in the past..Patty might have a little value, but I think we've seen enough to know that he's more of a situational player..

Agreed. That is my fear. Danny is so valuable to the Spurs/winning & he's on a great contract. If those other guys can't be moved to help the Spurs move towards their plan (whatever that may be) Danny may be the casualty which would suck.

I do think Boris has value because of his contract but that is situational and limits the numbers of teams that would value him for that.

Mills is definitely worth a late first rounder IMO. Based on the "Spurs player" alone mentality and he's a great teammate and people still remember him as an elite shooter.

cjw
06-22-2016, 05:06 PM
They got a lottery pick for a guy who was expiring and they won't re-sign + even more cap space to sign free agents. Getting a lottery pick for a mediocre player on an expiring deal makes sense to me.

Highway robbery - it's not like Teague is a spring chicken and going to get better.

12th pick gets ~$2 million per year for next three years ... totally cost controlled. Teague's $8 million this season would have ballooned to twice that under the new cap regime. So in essence, they're giving up one year of Teague and already have his replacement for a lottery ticket at the 12th pick.

NFL cap management being applied to the NBA. Well done Hawks.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:06 PM
No, it would only make sense for the Spurs if they think Baldwin (I'm guessing he'd be the target, just because he'd theoretically fill a blatant need that's not easily addressable in free agency) is good enough to make it worthwhile, because Afflalo/Lee would be the likely replacement and they'd be a downgrade.

Possibly, but if the Spurs are planning on a bigger fish (Conley, Durant, Horford, whatever, I don't know) then the trade is really viewed as Danny Green for 12th pick + That FA (since moving him allows the Spurs to sign that guy). It's not necessarily about who's replacing Danny (although I agree, it would be a big hole an likely downgrade unfortunately).

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:08 PM
Highway robbery - it's not like Teague is a spring chicken and going to get better.

12th pick gets ~$2 million per year for next three years ... totally cost controlled. Teague's $8 million this season would have ballooned to twice that under the new cap regime. So in essence, they're giving up one year of Teague and already have his replacement for a lottery ticket at the 12th pick.

NFL cap management being applied to the NBA. Well done Hawks.

Yup - while it may (I stress may) hurt them a little from a basketball perspective it's too smart of a business move to pass up on. Especially when they now have so much more flexibility to not only make up for the loss of Teague basketball wise, but actually net improve their team as well.

Unlike the Knicks, who gave up assets for Rose for some reason.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Half the board who thinks you can get the #12 for Parker hasn't watched an NBA game since 2013.

I was thinking this too, as Diaw-Splitter contracts work and Diaw would only cost $600k (albeit for 5 years) to stretch while Splitter would cost $2.8mm each of 3 years to split.

That said, would the Hawks really give up the #12 pick to save $2.2 million on the cap this year, and $5 million in aggregate?

The thing to keep in mind too and what doesn't make sense with regards to ATL needing to shed salary to sign guys is with moving Teague for just a pick, they should already have ample cap space to sign Horford and Baze. I don't get why people seem to think ATL needs to shed more money?

Maybe I'm just missing something but even guys like Zach Lowe seem confused.

TD 21
06-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Possibly, but if the Spurs are planning on a bigger fish (Conley, Durant, Horford, whatever, I don't know) then the trade is really viewed as Danny Green for 12th pick + That FA (since moving him allows the Spurs to sign that guy). It's not necessarily about who's replacing Danny (although I agree, it would be a big hole an likely downgrade unfortunately).

Technically, that possibility would exist, but I don't see them getting a big fish, in which case it would come down to how highly they value Baldwin (or whoever you think the target is, if the noise about them wanting to move up is true).

One thing that's clear: It's going to require a bold move to attempt to upgrade the back court, just like it did 5 years ago to attempt to upgrade small forward.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:20 PM
I mean, I'm in the camp that thinks SA was not that far off last year. If they can make a few small moves, like trade Boris/Mills for late 1sts or for a player that fits, then SA can re-tool and still be damn good.

Even if SA could just upgrade the bench with 2 players (playmaking guard another shooter/wing defender) I think that makes SA really dangerous.

If they move Boris/Mills and can get a few picks or move up in the draft then use that cap space to sign another bench player upgrade they are in good shape.

Spurs do need PG help and that would be massive but it's going to be tough I think.

TD 21
06-22-2016, 05:27 PM
I mean, I'm in the camp that thinks SA was not that far off last year. If they can make a few small moves, like trade Boris/Mills for late 1sts or for a player that fits, then SA can re-tool and still be damn good.

Even if SA could just upgrade the bench with 2 players (playmaking guard another shooter/wing defender) I think that makes SA really dangerous.

If they move Boris/Mills and can get a few picks or move up in the draft then use that cap space to sign another bench player upgrade they are in good shape.

Spurs do need PG help and that would be massive but it's going to be tough I think.

"Not that far off", is a relative term. They were a top five team and they will remain one with a few small moves, but they'll either stagnate or slip further from the top few because there's virtually no upside to this team.

What's worse, Parker, Ginobili and if he returns, Duncan, will be another year older and Parker and Ginobili will be playing in the Olympics, too.

Until they do something to attempt to acquire a core piece in the back court, they have no chance to win another championship.

CGD
06-22-2016, 05:29 PM

This makes a lot of sense

Something like Tiago + Tabo + 12 for
Boris + Patty + 29

They save close to 6M after waiving Boris plus the salary difference between 12 and 29.

Then the Spurs have the option of using Danny for something else.

Mal
06-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Apart from NBA 2k trades idead, Hawks did trade Teague for pick, to save money for resigning their FA, and you all suggest that trading that pick, for player with higher salary is their next move ?

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:31 PM
I think ATL, after moving Teague for nothing, now has like 25+M in cap space (even with Horfords cap hold). They can basically sign a max player and then re-sign Horford. They may lose Baze if they do that, but man, they have a lot of ways they can go.

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 05:32 PM
"Not that far off", is a relative term. They were a top five team and they will remain one with a few small moves, but they'll either stagnate or slip further from the top few because there's virtually no upside to this team.

What's worse, Parker, Ginobili and if he returns, Duncan, will be another year older and Parker and Ginobili will be playing in the Olympics, too.

Until they do something to attempt to acquire a core piece in the back court, they have no chance to win another championship.

That's kind of where I am at this point. Sticking with status quo and just trying to fill in gaps with average talent you're looking at a team that is an injury away from being playoff fodder. Where it stands that core group of players does not have an extra gear to kick into when they need it in the playoffs. I expect Kawhi to improve but I don't think he has the players around him that will help his game at all.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:36 PM
That's kind of where I am at this point. Sticking with status quo and just trying to fill in gaps with average talent you're looking at a team that is an injury away from being playoff fodder. Where it stands that core group of players does not have an extra gear to kick into when they need it in the playoffs. I expect Kawhi to improve but I don't think he has the players around him that will help his game at all.

While I agree landing a "quality starter" PG would get ideal, it's not that easy. Also, I think yalls view is overly pessimistic. Sure, with the Spurs age and no big upgrades, they have little room for error. But there are pretty much 25 other teams that would KILL to be in that spot.

Spurs are one of maybe 5 teams that have a legit shot if things break their way and adding any talent infusion, even if it's not KD is a smart move IMO. Spurs have a legit core in LMA/Kawhi/DG to build around.

Adding a George Hill level of player or two dramatically raises the ceiling IMO.

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 05:41 PM
While I agree landing a "quality starter" PG would get ideal, it's not that easy. Also, I think yalls view is overly pessimistic. Sure, with the Spurs age and no big upgrades, they have little room for error. But there are pretty much 25 other teams that would KILL to be in that spot.

Spurs are one of maybe 5 teams that have a legit shot if things break their way and adding any talent infusion, even if it's not KD is a smart move IMO. Spurs have a legit core in LMA/Kawhi/DG to build around.

Adding a George Hill level of player or two dramatically raises the ceiling IMO.

I think it absolutely helps if they had some players who are still relatively young who can bring some athleticism and a skill to the team for sure. Its something that would help them in the years to come if it's a relatively cheap deal. The biggest issue here is continuity and the idea of an identity that they can actually roll with. This season didn't really have a concrete identity when it came to the offense, it was a lot of one on one stuff, pick n roll stuff which is not going to work when it comes to teams that have more athletic players and cause trouble when they close out and they seal the paint.

Spurs need to start thinking what kind of offense is going to work for Kawhi Leonard and his strengths and start to construct it around that.. That means getting players that are going to be there long enough to grow continuity with our star athlete and be comfortable with that role. Asking our current roster to dip out of character a year older and a year slower to cater to a new offense might be a death knell.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:55 PM
I think it absolutely helps if they had some players who are still relatively young who can bring some athleticism and a skill to the team for sure. Its something that would help them in the years to come if it's a relatively cheap deal. The biggest issue here is continuity and the idea of an identity that they can actually roll with. This season didn't really have a concrete identity when it came to the offense, it was a lot of one on one stuff, pick n roll stuff which is not going to work when it comes to teams that have more athletic players and cause trouble when they close out and they seal the paint.

Spurs need to start thinking what kind of offense is going to work for Kawhi Leonard and his strengths and start to construct it around that.. That means getting players that are going to be there long enough to grow continuity with our star athlete and be comfortable with that role. Asking our current roster to dip out of character a year older and a year slower to cater to a new offense might be a death knell.

If SA would have beaten OKC, no one would really be saying this. They should have beaten OKC but everyone crapped the bed & SA got bad calls (and it was still close every game except game 6).

The offense wasn't great but it had SA on the brink of another WCF and that was year 1 with an entire new core. I just personally don't think it's reasonable to expect SA to be able to compete for titles while also rebuilding essentially. Can it happen? Sure. And it would be awesome like it was with adding Kawhi (young star who also helped win now). But that is so unlikely.

We know we have a great team now, it will be year 2 together to iron out details and if SA can just lessen the load of guys like TP/Tim/Manu by adding some talent I think that is great.

I just don't think they should focus more on the youth movement than title movement at this stage with this team. You can try to sign players as young as possible, but if they can just sign some guys who aren't old and still have talent I think that is great too.

TD 21
06-22-2016, 05:57 PM
This makes a lot of sense

Something like Tiago + Tabo + 12 for
Boris + Patty + 29

They save close to 6M after waiving Boris plus the salary difference between 12 and 29.

Then the Spurs have the option of using Danny for something else.

That's not a great deal of savings relative to moving from 12 to 29.

I know you said "option", but if the Spurs could pull that off, Green wouldn't be going anywhere.

The whole notion of this isn't to trade Green; it's to attempt to upgrade the back court. Unfortunately, he's probably the only semi-realistic trade option that could get them a lottery pick.

Yeah, I'd rank them fifth, out of the five contenders, as far as likelihood of winning the championship.

Leonard can/will improve incrementally, but whatever he gains, there's a cadre of players that are likely to lose.

The whole "if things break their way", doesn't apply in this case because they'd more than likely have to play three series, where they wouldn't be the favorite, to win the championship. In '12-'14, for example, they probably needed a break to beat the Thunder, but that was about it.

The fact that acquiring a starting caliber point guard wouldn't be easy, is all the more reason to look to make a move like this. Baldwin essentially projects as Hill, only with higher upside.

DPG21920
06-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Also, people are forgetting that even flawed, SA's offense finished in the top 3 this year and was really strong the first half of the year. But when Tim/Manu/TP all fell off the 2nd half, the offense looked worse.

Even a player who's just as good as TP was to start the year would be big for this offense along with some more active/athletic big men finishers & another shooter.

TD 21
06-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Also, people are forgetting that even flawed, SA's offense finished in the top 3 this year and was really strong the first half of the year. But when Tim/Manu/TP all fell off the 2nd half, the offense looked worse.

Even a player who's just as good as TP was to start the year would be big for this offense along with some more active/athletic big men finishers & another shooter.

It remained efficient, but it wasn't explosive and against the other four elite teams, they struggled mightily to score.

For the first time in five years, I don't think they're close to winning a championship and I don't think it's about "breaks" or "peaking at the right time", either: I think they're flat out not good enough. They can either accept a seemingly inevitable string of 2nd round exits or they can attempt to change their fate.

AFMadison
06-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Pops master plan. Bud never left the Spurs. :hat

r0drig0lac
06-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Apart from NBA 2k trades idead, Hawks did trade Teague for pick, to save money for resigning their FA, and you all suggest that trading that pick, for player with higher salary is their next move ?

spurtech09
06-22-2016, 07:05 PM
The waiting game.....

Vic Petro
06-22-2016, 07:12 PM
This guy Juan Hernangomez just sounds like a guy who's destined to be a Spur tbh :lol

look_at_g_shred
06-22-2016, 07:58 PM
So I just realized after that Hawks trade that they need a PG now :lol

CGD
06-22-2016, 08:03 PM
So I just realized after that Hawks trade that they need a PG now :lol

Nah they're rolling with Dennis. They could use a back up though which makes Millsy and interesting option

look_at_g_shred
06-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Nah they're rolling with Dennis. They could use a back up though which makes Millsy and interesting option
Damn they must really believe in DS :lol he reminds a lot of a younger Darren Collison

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 09:51 PM
what's up with tiago? is he just still... unfit to play? what's his outlook?

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2016, 09:54 PM
what's up with tiago? is he just still... unfit to play? what's his outlook?

He's oft injured and still soft.

gambit1990
06-22-2016, 10:06 PM
He's oft injured and still soft.
i was just wondering cause... if he can't play maybe we'd trade back for him and then buy him out for medical reasons.

to make a potential deal easier for atl to swallow.

SAGirl
06-22-2016, 11:32 PM
, I'm in the camp that thinks SA was not that far off last year. If they can make a few small moves, like trade Boris/Mills for late 1sts or for a player that fits, then SA can re-tool and still be damn good.

The bolded part doesn't apply anymore bc it assumes everything and every one stays the same. TD or Manu may or may not return really. That's just the truth. Even if they return, the could have fallen off a cliff from which there is no coming back. Danny worked out bc Manu closed games and was a playmaker played at critical moments. I believe Danny's terrible year was an attempt to expand his game and let him find his,way into a little but of a more versatile role. He wasn't successful at that. He had the worst season of his career. The Martin signing was yo cover for Danny IMO not for KA like many here thought.

At one point I remember seeing an interview from Danny about it where he said he Martin was a possible guy they could consider to close games if he worked out fine. Danny is not ready and may bot ever be a closer bc he's limited. With the decline and possible retirement of Manu they need yo upgrade their backcourt. Technically the guy to move is Tony but he will be we hard to move and some say Spurs just won't move him. That leaves Danny.

We had issues with our backcourt. I have a lot of appreciation for Danny but someone's got to go in order for us Ty o get better and it will probably be someone we need bc we don't have spares. Mills and Dis a are not getting anything much back. Mills was terrible in the playoffs and without Ginobili who knows? He's not worth much more than Anderson IMO who is a but if an enigma for others but is 22 for example and doesn't need Ginobili to play his game. I am not saying there can't be packages with this,guy's in it but they are not worth much. It has to be Danny (or Tony).

Uriel
06-22-2016, 11:33 PM
THE GOLDEN GOD MIGHT COME BACK??? :wow :wow :wow :wow :wow

http://static-12.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/574aa282-4a35-4f82-9be5-30e98bc4b5a5-ohT9Xlg6.jpg?1440560886307

cutewizard
06-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Trade Parker to the Hawks

DO IT RC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
06-23-2016, 10:47 AM
So Splitter at center, LMA and Durant at forwards

Kawhi and Conley at guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r0drig0lac
06-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Cutewizard always posting drunk? lmao

cd021
06-23-2016, 11:24 AM
So Splitter at center, LMA and Durant at forwards

Kawhi and Conley at guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd take Splitter back but Conley is the only realistic option KD isn't leaving OKC this season.

cd021
06-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Doing it to make re-signing Horford easier could either mean 1. shedding salary 2. adding solid vets to convince him to come back.

If it's 2, Diaw+Mills+28 for 12?

I don't think 29 would necessary to make it work Kevin Pelton (ESPN) mentioned a while back that ATL does not care for draft picks that much. I think that Diaw and Mills could be enough or as someone else suggested that the Spurs take back Splitter to offset the $11.5 million that Mills and Diaw make. That would mean that ATL acquires two rotation players for only $3.0 million more than they were going to pay Splitter anyway. Maybe the 12th and 21st pick could be on the table if the Spurs agreed to take Splitter back even though he may not be ready to start the RS.

I would be fine with adding Splitter, especially if TD retires as a backup/ 3rd string center if it means acquiring a 12th and maybe the 21st pick.

gambit1990
01-07-2017, 03:27 PM

was advocating the hawks blew it up during last season. they coulda gotten something for horford, better value for teague... they wait until now to trade what they have left... and what, they're build around dwight howard? :lol

the hawks would've had a ton of leverage if they had been willing to move so pieces this time last year.

ginobilized
01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
I think Danny Ferry would've built a better team in ATL, sadly, that was a train wreck.
He seemed to have a vision that has since been lost.

BillMc
01-07-2017, 04:42 PM
the hawks would've had a ton of leverage if they had been willing to move so pieces this time last year.

I think Danny Ferry would've built a better team in ATL, sadly, that was a train wreck.
Truth

sasaint
01-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Atlanta doesn't seem to have a vision at all - whether that's Bud or the front office... Actually the plan may be to tank so badly that they can gain unanimous league support to relocate.