PDA

View Full Version : Player or position you want drafted?

Mnky
06-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Or a trade? I'm looking at malik Beasley. Kid looks like he Could be a great 4-5th option while providing great athleticism and team play. I also like Brogdon. Good leadership and spurs qualities, known for making plays when you need them, manu-esque, not as good a creator, but a better defender. A good quality role player in the starting unit or 6th man type can be had. Beasley would probably take a move to get, while Brogdan as well for a second rounder.

I would like to see Tony shipped, just because I believe he clashes with the identify the team is going for. His skills set just doesn't mesh as well with the new core in crunch time and you can't chase another legitimate pg with his contract, it's a hindrance.

A young athletic big who is sold on defense and rebounding would be great, only see a couple in this draft though. Might be a pipe dream.

stnick2261
06-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Ante Zizic
6'11" Center with 7'3" wingspan
19 years old
Athletic... Runs the floor, dunks hard, great rebounder.
Relentless motor and understands that he needs to constantly practice and get better.
Willingness to play defense, but has room to grow.
Needs work on his footwork (hopefully from Duncan), his shooting range (hopefully from Chip) and ball handling skills.
Needs better court awareness to get better at passing.
His dream is playing in the NBA and would prefer not to be stashed.

NBA Comparison:
Fabricio Oberto/Nikola Pekovic
Expected to be drafted just before us.

Mnky
06-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Ante Zizic
6'11" Center with 7'3" wingspan
19 years old
Athletic... Runs the floor, dunks hard, great rebounder.
Relentless motor and understands that he needs to constantly practice and get better.
Willingness to play defense, but has room to grow.
Needs work on his footwork (hopefully from Duncan), his shooting range (hopefully from Chip) and ball handling skills.
Needs better court awareness to get better at passing.
His dream is playing in the NBA and would prefer not to be stashed.

NBA Comparison:
Fabricio Oberto/Nikola Pekovic
Expected to be drafted just before us.

At 19. He'd have plenty of time to develop. Haven't heard much about him. Is he coming from a school or overseas?

DPG21920
06-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Malik Beasley, McCaw or GPII

I want a guard strongly or a wing.

Chinook
06-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Guard.

tdunk21
06-23-2016, 10:21 AM
At 19. He'd have plenty of time to develop. Haven't heard much about him. Is he coming from a school or overseas?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ante-zizic

RD2191
06-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Fuck a guard. We need a rebounding big man who can play decent defense. The fuck is a guard gonna do when adams and kantder are kicking our ass again?

SpursforSix
06-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Fuck a guard. We need a rebounding big man who can play decent defense. The fuck is a guard gonna do when adams and kantder are kicking our ass again?

That's why we're getting Gasol and Noah.

cutewizard
06-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Baldwin

Brice Johnson

Thon Maker

dbestpro
06-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Sleeper pick: Cat Barber.

loveforthegame
06-23-2016, 10:30 AM
No particular order really. Some guys will go higher. Some are clearly 2nd round material. I'd love a pg, guard, or wing with size.

Beasley
Bembry
Prince
McCaw
Brogdon
Cousins
Payton
Barber

Big Empty
06-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Thon Maker

DPG21920
06-23-2016, 10:34 AM
If SA moves into the lottery I'm not really sure tbh. My guys are assuming SA stays put or moves up slightly.

BatManu20
06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm assuming the Spurs are staying put at 29, in which case I think it's going to be a developmental wing player or a draft-and-stash European.

Names to keep an eye one:

Patrick McKaw - G, UNLV
Malik Beasley - G, Fla. St
DeAndre Bembry - G, Saint Joseph's
Juan Hernangomez - F, Spain
Cheick Diallo - F, Kansas
Tyler Ulis - G, Kentucky
Damian Jones - C, Vanderbilt

houston spurs fan
06-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Damian Jones, a 6-11 C from Vanderbilt could be a nice project. We obviously need a penetrating guard but I think we'll address that through free agency. Jones could be a nice rim protector and rebounder.

Mnky
06-23-2016, 10:40 AM

:lol

Yea, like others said, if Durant is out, it'll be easy to get a sufficient big in free agent compared to finding someone who can give legitimate wing help. Gasol and Noah both have expressed the appeal of San Antonio.
This draft is actually pretty deep though when it comes to potential wings, so the spurs could luck out and actually wind up with a decent player at 29.

coachmac87
06-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Any player that's at least 6'3

Mnky
06-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Damian Jones, a 6-11 C from Vanderbilt could be a nice project. We obviously need a penetrating guard but I think we'll address that through free agency. Jones could be a nice rim protector and rebounder.

I like that kids appeal too. Seen a lot of dead moments in his tape though, and staying focused and motivated is a constant critique of his. That worries me for a big you're relying on to rebound and defend. Motivation is as important as athletic ability when it comes to those.

r0drig0lac
06-23-2016, 10:45 AM
an athletic wing 6'7'' or 6'8''

tmtcsc
06-23-2016, 10:47 AM
An athletic big who doesn't need to score to be effective. Someone who can play D and rebound. I think our Point guard should be someone with at least a couple of years in the league already. I've written TP off as a has-been with a bloated contract. I won't shed a tear WHEN he is moved. Between he and Manu, he benefited the most playing with TD. If he had developed a more consistent outside shot and 3 pt range (think Nash), he could be productive.

He hasn't and now his contract is a burden in the team's payroll and future. His drop-off was pretty dramatic.

tmtcsc
06-23-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm assuming the Spurs are staying put at 29, in which case I think it's going to be a developmental wing player or a draft-and-stash European.

Names to keep an eye one:

Patrick McKaw - G, UNLV
Malik Beasley - G, Fla. St
DeAndre Bembry - G, Saint Joseph's
Juan Hernangomez - F, Spain
Cheick Diallo - F, Kansas
Tyler Ulis - G, Kentucky
Damian Jones - C, Vanderbilt

Project?
http://i.makeagif.com/media/6-22-2015/1xxvKh.gif

He's not the tallest guy but Brice Johnson is the best rebounder in the Draft: - The nice thing about Johnson is that he can stay on the floor if other teams go small against the Spurs - unlike a Deandre Jordan or Steven Adams. The biggest worry of his game according to one scout's take is his consistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw6fnrzgbrs

BatManu20
06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure he's at least 21.

RD2191
06-23-2016, 11:04 AM

Lol

SPURt
06-23-2016, 11:09 AM
I hope the Spurs can trade for an extra pick somewhere and pull in a PG and a C. The PG is the position I would like to spend the higher of the two picks on with Wade Baldwin as the target. The lower pick I would hope is spent on a high risk high reward center, particularly Qi or Maker. I am also assuming the Spurs add another PF/C in free agency to help with the most obvious weakness of the Spurs from the Thunder series- interior D and rebounding. Here is my overall wish list in no particular order:

Wade Baldwin
DeJounte Murray
Damion Jones
Zhou Qi
Thon Maker
Cat Barber

Predicting a Spurs draft pick correctly is like predicting a perfect NCAA bracket. It is never going to happen.

bdictjames
06-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Sleeper pick: Cat Barber.
I like Cat Barber. He seems like he could be a solid player in this league.

ceperez
06-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Thon Maker

The stealth draft candidate.

ceperez
06-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Interesting rumor indeed... either it is true or some team is throwing it out there to discourage other teams.

SPURt
06-23-2016, 11:22 AM

The same questions surround Biyombo and Ibaka. I feel like people interpret these age discrepancies as these players purposefully giving misinformation. I think these guys really don't know their true age. If anyone is interested, Grantland did a really strong documentary on Serge Ibaka. I know Serge is from the Congo and not from the Sudan like Maker but when I see where Ibaka came from it is unbelievable he made it all the way to the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if Maker's road has been similar:
http://grantland.com/son-of-the-congo/

The further into the second round Maker falls the cheaper he would be to acquire.

ninjaskrzypek
06-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Nathan Boothe out of Toledo

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Someone that''ll be on a spurs bench next season.. No more fucking draft and stash wastes

Mnky
06-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I like Cat Barber. He seems like he could be a solid player in this league.

He could be had in the 2ND unless pgs start flying off the board. He would be instant offense addition. Not much of a floor general at this point, but he was expected to score a lot where he was. He might benefit from the spurs system and their open looks. He can definitely use that pnr well. Wouldn't mind him at all.

duncan2150
06-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Imo we need a PG or an Athletic big man

my list

PG : Baldwin if we move up, Demetrius Jackson, Levert, Barber or Payton ( 2nd round)

Bigs : Diallo, Jones or Onuaku ( 2nd round)

If we target a wing i really Beasley. Prince and Mc Caw are options too.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2016, 12:23 PM
If the Jazz are trading a lottery pick for George Hill, that makes me wonder if there are any decent guards in the draft. I wouldn't trade the 29th pick to bring Hill back, so the Spurs might need to go big or trade down.

Spurs9
06-23-2016, 12:26 PM
anything tbh

duncan2150
06-23-2016, 12:33 PM
If the Jazz are trading a lottery pick for George Hill, that makes me wonder if there are any decent guards in the draft. I wouldn't trade the 29th pick to bring Hill back, so the Spurs might need to go big or trade down.

That's why i think we'll adress the PG need with the Free Agency or by trade and pursue Conley hard.

raybies
06-23-2016, 02:42 PM
I think we stay put as well in order to stay flexible. Can't take on any salary if we want to be players in free agency. And you don't want to let green get away and miss out on free agents. Tbh last year with how we handled tiago was a blueprint. I think the spurs have a good idea about manu and Tim already so, with Duncan, marjanovich, and Milutinov that gives us three centers and if Duncan doesn't return you go after Pau or another center. I've been saying a center was the play for months and hate to back down from this way of thinking but now I'm starting to think a combo guard is the way to go. I still want the spurs to draft a center so there's that.

Combo guards around 29:
Isaiah cousins
Isaia Cordinier
Malcolm Brogdan

Out of these three I like Cordinier the most. I think he had the most upside. I put cousins and brogdan in the same tier.

Centers:
Zizic
Zimmerman
Onuaku
Hammons

If Zizic is there at 29 you have to take him which would leave you looking for another pick for the guard and reportedly can can buy a pick so there's that. Next I like Zimmerman. All around solid big. Athletic, can pass, can shoot, can switch on the pnr and play pnr. I think he's a sleeper. Only problem is the health concerns.

SAGirl
06-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Or a trade? I'm looking at malik Beasley. Kid looks like he Could be a great 4-5th option while providing great athleticism and team play. I also like Brogdon. Good leadership and spurs qualities, known for making plays when you need them, manu-esque, not as good a creator, but a better defender. A good quality role player in the starting unit or 6th man type can be had. Beasley would probably take a move to get, while Brogdan as well for a second rounder.

I would like to see Tony shipped, just because I believe he clashes with the identify the team is going for. His skills set just doesn't mesh as well with the new core in crunch time and you can't chase another legitimate pg with his contract, it's a hindrance.

A young athletic big who is sold on defense and rebounding would be great, only see a couple in this draft though. Might be a pipe dream.
The elephant in the room really is Tony. I don't even see him doing well in the bench. His style also doesn't mesh well with the bench, which tends to be more pass happy and even very egalitarian with everyone getting shots and not even going to one guys in a singular fashion. Plus, he's expensive and will any other PG really want to wrestle the starting position from this player? I personally don't want Conley, he's going to decline same as Tony in the middle of his contract but his camp expressed concerns about the fit with Tony.

Let's keep in mind even LMA was too deferential to Timmy. He didn't really start truly beasting like an All star until Timmy was injured and they went to him a lot more. Its a real issue to bring in players for a position while the HoF vet is still playing. Timmy was very gracious in stepping aside, but in a way, even he was forced to by his knee failing. I completely get your point on Tony and I wonder myself about it bc it feels like Spurs will not address that particular problem.

wildbill2u
06-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Have to go for a mobile center with defensive skill set. Tim is no longer able to man the position for long stretches of time, even if he returns. We need to revamp the bench front line folks as well since it looks like West and Diaw will be gone.