PDA

View Full Version : Bryn Forbes will sign with Spurs.

SilverSpur
06-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Will this kid stick or is he just being signed for Austin / summer League, he played for Michigan St.

tonight...you
06-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Will this kid stick or is he just being signed for Austin / summer League
C'mon, black name... the kid is a superstar. Don't you, like, look up highlight vids and stuffessness?

SilverSpur
06-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Just saw his highlights, don't understand why he went undrafted? Good for us.

tonight...you
06-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Just saw his highlights, don't understand why he went undrafted? Good for us.
He's a shorty 2-guard who can shoot, but isn't a defender at all and is not only short, but is light and can be easily bullied by even PG's.
He better be really, really elite at shooting, ball handling and game recognition to make it on the team.

Just being honest.

Mnky
06-24-2016, 07:30 PM
He's a shot guard who needs to learn pg, that's why he didn't get drafted. Has talent, needs to develop though. He can shoot well. His size is fine for a pg. D league player unless he just lights out shoots.

Seems the spurs are intent on getting younger pgs. Might be a sign they do plan on moving one of the pgs

SilverSpur
06-24-2016, 07:30 PM
If we can develop Avery Johnson, Devin Brown and Gary Neal, I think we can develope Bryn Forbes. Looks like summer leauge then Austin before he takes a roster spot.

Seventyniner
06-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Jack McClinton redux?

tonight...you
06-24-2016, 07:37 PM
If we can develop Avery Johnson, Devin Brown and Gary Neal, I think we can develope Bryn Forbes. Looks like summer leauge then Austin before he takes a roster spot.
Hopefully Murray takes over by then and this kid and do something on the 2nd, or 3rd team. He's going to need to change how he "views" the game as he's playing. That's not an easy thing to do.
As a matter of fact, that's the most difficult thing to do as a short, shoot-first guy, but has to be a PG/SG because of height. Changing that mentality. Shifting the brainwaves to look for different things than they instinctively want to.
I wish him luck.

palangi
06-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Personally I would like to see Tony traded still. But it ain't happening.

So so trade mills and bring the PG from Bertans Euro team (Adams)) over to take his place. Then let Murray develop as the 3rd PG.

Let Forbes develop as a point in Austin for a few years then he can replace Adams as the back up to Murray. That would be Ideal.

tholdren
06-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Jack McClinton redux?
ha, no mcclinton was a better shooter.

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Best 3pt shooter in the draft?

tholdren
06-24-2016, 08:30 PM
buddy

tonight...you
06-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Better than Jack McClinton was? Holy...

tmtcsc
06-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Better than Jack McClinton was? Holy...

tonight...you
06-24-2016, 08:47 PM
This was some sad, sad shit right here. Milked it for all it was worth. He amounted to nothing in the NBA:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/video/teams/spurs/2009/07/02/090702_mcclinton.wmv.spurs.576x324.jpg
Killer. Why you got to go a and pull pics just to twist the blade, man? Ruthless shit.

tmtcsc
06-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Killer. Why you got to go a and pull pics just to twist the blade, man? Ruthless shit.

You're right. Your turn.

tonight...you
06-24-2016, 08:57 PM
You're right. Your turn.
See, now I'm reading that, and staring at that avi... and there's my girl throwing me a text.
Nah. Everything's easy now.

south side spur
06-24-2016, 10:29 PM
ha, no mcclinton was a better shooter.

Not from 3fg%
Forbes .4349
McClinton .4262

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/fg3-pct-player-career.html

But ft% isn't even close McClinton .8805 Forbes .82.

tholdren
06-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Not from 3fg%
Forbes .4349
McClinton .4262

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/fg3-pct-player-career.html

But ft% isn't even close McClinton .8805 Forbes .82.

McClinton was a #1 option for 3 years. Forbes was not. Much like I think Buddy is a better shooter than Forbes.

south side spur
06-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Remember, both kids transferred from smaller schools McClinton had 3 years remaining while Forbes had 2. So Forbes was the 1st option at Cleveland State but yeah that's not saying much.
McClinton was definitely more of a scorer a true go to option but I'm looking at this from more of a pure 3 point shooting perspective.
Both kids had similar numbers from 3fgas through out their careers the only major discrepancy was their junior seasons when McClinton had 60 more 3fgas.
Could that be attributed to Forbes transferring in for his 1st year at Michigan State? Who knows but their senior seasons it balanced out again and you're right he wasn't the #1 option but his numbers aren't that far off Valentines he could ALMOST be considered a 1b. Forbes is a few inches taller than McClinton so maybe he can be a Gary Neal type?
I'm definitely intrigued by this signing and I'm hoping this kid makes it.

ceperez
06-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Remember, both kids transferred from smaller schools McClinton had 3 years remaining while Forbes had 2. So Forbes was the 1st option at Cleveland State but yeah that's not saying much.
McClinton was definitely more of a scorer a true go to option but I'm looking at this from more of a pure 3 point shooting perspective.
Both kids had similar numbers from 3fgas through out their careers the only major discrepancy was their junior seasons when McClinton had 60 more 3fgas.
Could that be attributed to Forbes transferring in for his 1st year at Michigan State? Who knows but their senior seasons it balanced out again and you're right he wasn't the #1 option but his numbers aren't that far off Valentines he could ALMOST be considered a 1b. Forbes is a few inches taller than McClinton so maybe he can be a Gary Neal type?

Jack McClinton may have been too small to play in the NBA. At least Forbes has a decent height. In today's NBA you can never have too many 3 point shooters!

TheCerebral1
06-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Who?

palangi
06-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Who?
If you want to continue to be ignorant...well that is your choice.

But the internet has this tool called GOOGLE! You can find information there.

tholdren
06-25-2016, 03:48 PM
I with you. At least he's coming from a good college coach. I'm interested in any scorer at this point.

Atl Spur
06-26-2016, 08:21 AM
I with you. At least he's coming from a good college coach. I'm interested in any scorer at this point.

Me personally, I look at two things concerning this kid...... Fire/intensity and top notch shooting! He'll play professional basketball somewhere in the world; hopefully here in San Antonio.

r0drig0lac
06-26-2016, 09:30 AM
If you want to continue to be ignorant...well that is your choice.

But the internet has this tool called GOOGLE! You can find information there.

lmao

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Austin Spur

south side spur
07-03-2016, 06:15 PM
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2016/07/03/couch-column-bryn-forbes-spurs-nba-summer-league/86638902/

Bryn Forbes has only briefly spoken to San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich since signing with the team.

Pop’s advice to his undrafted rookie entering NBA summer league play: “He just told me to shoot it,” Forbes said Thursday.
There is no ambiguity as why NBA teams like Forbes or why the Spurs gave the former Michigan State and Lansing Sexton standout a guaranteed contract to choose them.
Forbes made 77 of 100 3-pointers at one of his pre-draft workouts for NBA teams — the most by any player this year, Forbes was told. And while his 6-foot-3 frame and questions about his ball-handling kept him from being selected on draft night, his deft shooting was worth more than an NBA summer league invite.

So some teams also offered money. The Spurs went a bit further, giving Forbes a one-year contract. If he makes their roster in training camp, he’ll earn the rookie minimum salary, around $543,000. If he doesn’t, he’ll still be under contract with the Spurs, paid enough to agree to stay with the organization for one year — even if it’s spent in the D-League — instead of going overseas and perhaps making six-figures there.
Forbes and the Spurs summer league squad begin play in Utah on Monday evening. After three games in Salt Lake City, they’ll move to the Las Vegas Summer League, which runs July 8 through 18.

Forbes is an intriguing pro prospect (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2016/02/27/couch-column-bryn-forbes-nba/81030136/). He has coveted skill. He made better than 48 percent of his 3-pointers as a senior at MSU, second-best in college basketball, tops among major conference players by a ways. Not every NBA roster has shooter like him. Boston, Memphis and Minnesota are among the competitive teams that lost games last year because they lacked players who can shoot from distance.
The Spurs ranked second in the NBA last season in 3-point percentage, seemingly making them an odd choice for Forbes. But in the Popovich era, San Antonio has always been a proactive franchise. And as Forbes said, you can never have too much shooting. Given the Spurs’ track record of finding, signing and developing unheralded players, Forbes saw a fit.
“It was Philly and the Spurs I was trying to decide between,” Forbes said of two franchises on opposite ends of the spectrum these days. “I had been talking to the Spurs for a while and I really like how they do things. Finding your fit is a big thing, too — the way they do things, how they play.”

To stick in the NBA, or to eventually find his way in, he’ll have to prove he can handle the basketball well enough to survive at 6-3 — handling the ball wasn’t something he did much of at MSU.
“I’m going to play more combo (guard),” Forbes said. “That’s something else I’ve got to work on a little bit, playing the point guard position.”

Spurtacular
07-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Homeless Man's Danny Green.

Mr. Body
07-03-2016, 08:02 PM
You won't last at that height unless you can handle the ball.

palangi
07-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Homeless Man's Danny Green.
I was thinking taller Patty Mills.

SAGirl
07-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Wishing him the best. Thanks for sharing the article. :tu

Spurtacular
07-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Jack McClinton redux?

McClinton had Vinnie Johnson potential; that's not this guy.

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 03:46 AM
Gary Neal is actually the perfect comparison