PDA

View Full Version : #1 Free Agent Target should be: Pau Gasol

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 12:37 PM
I think the Spurs should target Pau Gasol before any other legitimate FA at this point. He has Championship experience, puts up fantastic numbers, is a great passer, plays the center spot and spreads the floor. The Spurs would own the paint with him and Aldridge down low. His defense isn't the greatest but he still has the size and mobility to be effective. I think he has at least 3 or 4 years left.

Assuming Gasol asks for the same money or less per year, signing him would allow the Spurs additional funds to address other areas. As far as I am concerned, anyone not named Leonard or Aldridge should be available for trade. Mills and Diaw were huge disappointments in effort and effectiveness. They looked like they lost their fire to compete along with their shots.

I don't expect much from the new euros and draft pick for at least a couple of years. Durant is a one in a million piece and pretty much a pipe dream a this point. I hope the organization doesn't wait too long for an answer and lose out on other guys.

Gasol only cost 7.5 Mill & put up: 16.5 and 11 Rebounds per game. Sheeeeeit...how this guy isn't every contender's bargain target is beyond me.

Hey R.C. and Pop:

https://media.giphy.com/media/wi8Ez1mwRcKGI/giphy.gif

Leetonidas
06-25-2016, 12:39 PM
didn't need a new thread for this tbh there's already a 100 page thread on pau

Leetonidas
06-25-2016, 12:39 PM
tho I mostly agree but not that he should be the #1 target which is obviously KD

NASpurs
06-25-2016, 12:42 PM
If it's for the minimum, why not?

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 12:47 PM
tho I mostly agree but not that he should be the #1 target which is obviously KD

"Legitimate" target. I don't believe KD is coming here. It usually comes down to $$ and staying in OKC makes the most sense for him. He has a chance to win and make the most $$. If he wants Westbrook gone, he'll be gone.

SpursFan86
06-25-2016, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't mind Pau (assuming the contract is reasonable), but I'm not sure he'd be my first choice.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't mind Pau (assuming the contract is reasonable), but I'm not sure he'd be my first choice.

Assuming you need to replace Tim, who would be your first choice ?

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2016, 01:04 PM
You wouldn't have to gut the team to acquire him, tbh.

Let's be real he's probably better than Horford even at his age.

SpursFan86
06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Assuming you need to replace Tim, who would be your first choice ?

Would need to look at the whole FA class, but off the top of my head, Horford would be really good fit IMO. Maybe I'm underestimating how much money that'd require though, I'm sure he'll get some max offers from lesser teams.

There are cheaper options like Cole Aldrich that'd probably free up more money elsewhere to answer issues such as a volume 3-point shooter or bench playmaker.

kaji157
06-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Of course, and we have to see what Rondo and Wade want too.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 01:14 PM
You wouldn't have to gut the team to acquire him, tbh.

Let's be real he's probably better than Horford even at his age.

Exactly, he only cost 7.5 Mil last year. I think they could sign him with the new cap space available and not have to cut anyone. I think the Spurs will be able to free up money by losing Diaw - through trade or releasing him.

keeferob25
06-25-2016, 01:24 PM
I've been saying this for a while. Pau is really good Tim replacement or a great compliment. Let's be real...Duncan's value at this point is as an elite rim protector/anchor, still effective rebounder, and big passer and screener/pick setter. However, he is arguably a liability on the scoring front. This was by far his worst year to the point where opposing teams WANT Duncan to attempt to score. Pau can hit the jumper where Duncan can't. He can rebound the same. Both are historically great big passers. He slips, rolls, pops better than Tim at this point. And while he's not anywhere near the overall anchor Tim is, he's not a liability at the rim. I think Pau can definitely be had for between 7-7.75 million. Only negatives are that he's somewhat isolation based (which was our problem this year), and he's nearly as slow as Tim. But the minutes work well also...96 total among bigs and I can see LMA at 31, Pau at 28, 23-25 for Tim and the remainder for a 2nd PF. Bring Pau in to start, and let Duncan finish.

Biggems
06-25-2016, 01:30 PM
I would love to get Pau and Noah (except for the fact that Noah is coming off an injury and is apparently asking for an asinine amount of money). So give me Gasol, and hopefully Duncan will come back for 1 more year (preferably as a bench player).

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 01:31 PM
We need guys who compete and bring some nasty too. We have too many soft motherfuckers on this team who bend when faced with adversity. Where's the extra effort when things get tough? Where is the next level? When the Spurs needed it most, they didn't have it.

Diaw - No.
Mills - No.
K. Anderson - Please.
Aldridge - Not really.
TP - Nope.
Manu, Tim - Bodies can't match heart anymore.

Sean Cagney
06-25-2016, 01:36 PM
I would love to get Pau and Noah (except for the fact that Noah is coming off an injury and is apparently asking for an asinine amount of money). So give me Gasol, and hopefully Duncan will come back for 1 more year (preferably as a bench player).

Noah is getting an insane offer from the Wiz he can't turn down IMO, Pau though I hope the Spurs can nab. I agree with you 100%.

Keepin' it real
06-25-2016, 01:37 PM
It smells like 2014 up in this piece.

Sean Cagney
06-25-2016, 01:38 PM
We need guys who compete and bring some nasty too. We have too many soft motherfuckers on this team who bend when faced with adversity. Where's the extra effort when things get tough? Where is the next level? When the Spurs needed it most, they didn't have it.

Diaw - No.
Mills - No.
K. Anderson - Please.
Aldridge - Not really.
TP - Nope.
Manu, Tim - Bodies can't match heart anymore.
It is a damn shame because Diaw used to bring it and be very clutch for the Spurs just a few years back before he got the contract and lazy.. Mills just lost his shot.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 01:43 PM
It is a damn shame because Diaw used to bring it and be very clutch for the Spurs just a few years back before he got the contract and lazy.. Mills just lost his shot.

I agree. I've always thought Diaw was the most skilled guy on the team. Tim was clearly the best, but you don't want him bringing the ball up the floor. Diaw could do a lot of different things and do them all well. At his best, he is an absolute nightmare to match up against. At his worst, he isn't making the effort to close out on shooters or to get rebounding position.

Sean Cagney
06-25-2016, 01:46 PM
I agree. I've always thought Diaw was the most skilled guy on the team. Tim was clearly the best, but you don't want him bringing the ball up the floor. Diaw could do a lot of different things and do them all well. At his best, he is an absolute nightmare to match up against. At his worst, he isn't making the effort to close out on shooters or to get rebounding position.

Yep, all this happened after his contract too.

RD2191
06-25-2016, 01:52 PM
We don't need anymore unathletic slow fucks. We need youth and defense at the C spot.

TheCerebral1
06-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Oh you mean Kevin Durant, okay. That's what I thought. No thanks, unless it were for a year or two (max) I wouldn't touch it.

Chillen
06-25-2016, 02:00 PM
If they can sign Pau, start Gasol, Duncan off the bench. Not a bad option to have a HOF great player coming off the bench. Pau should be option #2, Durant is still #1 for the Spurs, if you can sign Kevin Durant you do it. If Durant stays with OKC or goes to Warriors, Gasol and Conley would not be bad additions at all.

Nathan89
06-25-2016, 02:11 PM
If we can get Pau then Diaw should be gone. Pau is a skilled big that may be more useful against okc, clips, and the cavs at this point given his length advantage. Both are a defensive liability against gsw but at least Pau has length.

Kikoluna
06-25-2016, 02:19 PM
If it's for cheap yes. Great pickup. But option 1 is Durant , option 2 is Conley. Option 3 is whiteside option 4 is noah option 5 is pau

SpursFan86
06-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Not a big fan of Conley...I mean, I think he's a solid player, but I really wouldn't be too excited about throwing a max deal at him (and I think there's a good chance that's what he'll be getting). Maybe I'd be more open to it if we got rid of Parker's contract, but that's not happening.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 03:14 PM
If it's for cheap yes. Great pickup. But option 1 is Durant , option 2 is Conley. Option 3 is whiteside option 4 is noah option 5 is pau

All three of those options will cost at least 3x the amount of Pau. The only player worth that $$ IMO is Durant. That is it. I like Whiteside and Conley but not for max $$.

Noah over Pau? Based on what? One guy is a Champion, put up great numbers, isn't a FT liability and has stayed healthy for most of his career. The other one can't stay healthy. I don't see the appeal. Hell, you could get them both but no way is Noah #4 over Pau.

objective
06-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Pau this season was allegedly a horrible defensive rebounder despite his stats. Add in the he's a diva who demanded to start in Chicago ... and his aging decline .... no thanks

palangi
06-25-2016, 03:21 PM
I don't get the fascination with 35 year old Pau Gasol? Dude is going to be 36 this next season.

I would get if 5 years ago, but not now.

NO THANK YOU!

DAF86
06-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Meh. Don't know if old stiffs are so important anymore. More and more the NBA is heading to having just 1 big (and a very mobile one) with 6'8, 6'7 guys playing around him on the perimeter. Wings are, by far, the most important players on today's NBA and we have a glaring lack of them in the roster. That should be our biggest aim, imho.

Mr. Body
06-25-2016, 04:05 PM
I'd take him off the bench, but I'm not sure he's a starter any more.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:15 PM
At 35 years of age, Pau played nearly 32 minutes per game. If I was Pau - on that team, with that roster, I'd demand to start too. He wants to win and took less money to do so.

As for his stats, he averaged 16 pts, 11 boards (9 of them on the defensive end) and 4 assists. That's insane for a 35 year old. His production got lost on a very bad and dysfunctional Chicago team. I wouldn't put him in the "Old stiff" category just yet. If you can add Gasol at his price tag, it frees up $$ for another wing player. Hoepfully, one that can dribble.

Here's what he did to Cleveland this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIFM5gGtj8

palangi
06-25-2016, 04:24 PM
I just worry at his age that he falls off quick. But much like Duncan he doesn't have a high flying game and can sustain success longer. If Duncan retires then yes I would be ok with getting him. I don't know if both him and timmy here though. I would like a young guy developing behind Tim and Boban. But Pau and Boban would look good.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:24 PM
I'd take him off the bench, but I'm not sure he's a starter any more.

Yes - because most All-Stars come off the bench. :rolleyes You do realize he has been an All-Star the last 2 years right? I'm telling you, people are sleeping on him. I hope the Spurs don't.

dabom
06-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Shit thread OP. :lol

Chillen
06-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Start Pau, bring TD off bench. Signing Pau is a big plus at this point for Duncan to return and be effective for 1 or 2 more seasons. All these haters of Pau here make me sick, he would really be able to help the Spurs. BTW, Parker is 34, so if you can have a 34 year old PG, why not a 35 year old big man with great skills and basketball IQ.

spurraider21
06-25-2016, 04:29 PM
if gasol never whined on defense (mid-play, not even after the whistle) he'd be a much better player

but yeah i'd take him in a heartbeat

james evans
06-25-2016, 04:30 PM
Doesn't matter who we get. Popovich won't change his coaching style and will continue to throw games during the regular season because it makes him "look smart"

RD2191
06-25-2016, 04:33 PM
We don't need a pussy center starting.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Not convinced?

Here's his 21 pts, 13 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 blks he put up on OKC Christmas Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rI8gQFVHc

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Shit thread OP. :lol

Fuck off Retard. Go blow your boy RD2191 faggot. You butt buddies are clueless as fuck. :lol

Oh Look!!! There's your dick squeeze now -

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/tbattle3/208gzrl.gif

Jdspur20
06-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Start Pau, bring TD off bench. Signing Pau is a big plus at this point for Duncan to return and be effective for 1 or 2 more seasons. All these haters of Pau here make me sick, he would really be able to help the Spurs. BTW, Parker is 34, so if you can have a 34 year old PG, why not a 35 year old big man with great skills and basketball IQ.

THIS!

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Doesn't matter who we get. Popovich won't change his coaching style and will continue to throw games during the regular season because it makes him "look smart"

? He threw less games last year than ever in the history of the franchise apparently.

dabom
06-25-2016, 04:39 PM
Fuck off Retard. Go blow your boy RD2191 faggot. You butt buddies are clueless as fuck. :lol

Oh Look!!! There's your dick squeeze now -

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/tbattle3/208gzrl.gif

Did you google that? And what was the google "phrase"? Or did have that saved to your comp? :lol

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Did you google that? And what was the google "phrase"? Or did have that saved to your comp? :lol

Who the fuck gave you permission to talk?

I found it here: Dabom is a cocksucking faggot and blows meatsticks whenever possible (http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/tbattle3/208gzrl.gif)

dabom
06-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Who the fuck gave you permission to talk?

:lol

It's on old trick OP. :toast

palangi
06-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Your shit gets real old

RD2191
06-25-2016, 04:48 PM
OP melting down hard. I have no beef with you but yeah, a 36 year old soft ass pussy at center is just what this team needs! He will surely put as past OKC and the Dubs!

dabom
06-25-2016, 04:49 PM
OP melting down hard. I have no beef with you but yeah, a 36 year old soft ass pussy at center is just what this team needs! He will surely put as past OKC and the Dubs!

Someone tell RC ASAP. :lol

palangi
06-25-2016, 04:50 PM
:lol

It's on old trick OP. :toast
Way to be productive to the conversation troll!!
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMW6KrvssscpBRvXOivSalFO9g3INpU CKqGktCEOuoe3UnWm4QqQ

dabom
06-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Way to be productive to the conversation troll!!
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMW6KrvssscpBRvXOivSalFO9g3INpU CKqGktCEOuoe3UnWm4QqQ

Alright you got my attention. Here's a star sticker.

RD2191
06-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Someone tell RC ASAP. :lol

Yo RC, just hear me out. Some dude on ST swears Pau is the missing piece to a title run. *Click*. Hello? Hello?

palangi
06-25-2016, 04:53 PM
RD2191 and Dabom giving their great insight together again!!!

http://t10.deviantart.net/tGaQO68lurBNb91nAID-RRO5ZEU=/300x200/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre07/8198/th/pre/f/2012/193/7/5/butt_buddies_yeah_by_cookiecutter60-d5705n8.png

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Meh, I made my case using logic, payroll and stats. A little too much to handle for some folks in this forum. I don't care if people disagree, that's what this message board is about - but put some thought behind your argument. Too old? Really? Since when? The Spurs value experience and production. Was OKC too young for the Spurs? I don't think that was the problem. They had an advantage on us inside because of Tim's injury and West's lack of height. Even still, I think with a few breaks here and there, we win the series.

The playoff collapse was because Tim was injured, Diaw and Mills played like shit and people were forced to exceed expectations because of it. Tony wasn't really the problem but his bloated contract hurts now.

dabom
06-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Meh, I made my case using logic, payroll and stats. A little too much to handle for some folks in this forum. I don't care if people disagree, that's what this message board is about - but put some thought behind your argument. Too old? Really? Since when? The Spurs value experience and production. Was OKC too young for the Spurs? I don't think that was the problem. They had an advantage on us inside because of Tim's injury and West's lack of height. Even still, I think with a few breaks here and there, we win the series.

The playoff collapse was because Tim was injured, Diaw and Mills played like shit and people were forced to exceed expectations because of it. Tony wasn't really the problem but his bloated contract hurts now.

If I compare KD and Gasol it's a no brainer. Stop while you're way behind.

RD2191
06-25-2016, 04:59 PM
RD2191 and Dabom giving their great insight together again!!!

http://t10.deviantart.net/tGaQO68lurBNb91nAID-RRO5ZEU=/300x200/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre07/8198/th/pre/f/2012/193/7/5/butt_buddies_yeah_by_cookiecutter60-d5705n8.png

Pulling out the personal collection?

RD2191
06-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Age is one thing being a soft pussy is another. Stats don't always tell the whole story. Adams's hustle/energy were a huge reason why OKC beat the Spurs and almost beat the Dubs.

palangi
06-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Pulling out the personal collection?
You aren't very creative are you? I'm going to leave your simple mind alone to be the jack off you are.

Spurs9
06-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Dont really want him tbh, because we would have to overpay.

RD2191
06-25-2016, 05:26 PM
You aren't very creative are you? I'm going to leave your simple mind alone to be the jack off you are.

Butt buddies is creative? Some high brow stuff there. Has HBO called you for a special yet?

TD 21
06-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Would need to look at the whole FA class, but off the top of my head, Horford would be really good fit IMO. Maybe I'm underestimating how much money that'd require though, I'm sure he'll get some max offers from lesser teams.

There are cheaper options like Cole Aldrich that'd probably free up more money elsewhere to answer issues such as a volume 3-point shooter or bench playmaker.

Horford will require the max, he supposedly wants to remain a Hawk, they can offer the extra year and the Spurs would have to move out a rotation player(s) to make it work.

Whether Gasol should be or not is debatable, but should Duncan retire, he's the most likely replacement. As far as his production, citing raw averages without considering context and fit, is antiquated and foolish. What he averaged in a situation where he was playing a featured role (which he wouldn't with the Spurs), is irrelevant.

Though still capable offensively, he wouldn't really solve any of their issues: He's not really a floor spacer, nor a roller and he lacks defensive range.

All this debate about what they should do, yet no matter what, the most likely outcome will remain a 2nd round elimination by one of the Warriors, Thunder (if Durant re-signs) or Clippers.

Nathan89
06-25-2016, 06:17 PM
He's better on offense than Duncan so that's a plus. His defense isn't great but he'll be able to collapse in the paint more against OKC without Ibaka. OKC isn't going to play small against us so moving Ibaka increased our chances of handling their offense. We have to be able to score though and Diaw and Duncan aren't going to be able to take either Kanter or Adams.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2016, 06:43 PM
As far as his production, citing raw averages without considering context and fit, is antiquated and foolish. What he averaged in a situation where he was playing a featured role (which he wouldn't with the Spurs), is irrelevant.

Though still capable offensively, he wouldn't really solve any of their issues: He's not really a floor spacer, nor a roller and he lacks defensive range.

All this is so spot on.

Gasol isn't the type of player Spurs need. Gasols' value is tied to touches and usage. Spurs don't need a guy next to Aldridge sucking away touches from Aldridge and KL ( they need either a roller or a legit PnPop 3 PF).

At the same time, Gasol is very limited on the defensive end. The only value he has on that end is in post defense. Unfortunately, most teams are going away from post offense more and more and centering their offense around the perimeter play-making -- where Gasol is a huge liabliity.

The options are scarce, and I can understand why SA wld reluctantly be content going w/ Gasol but he's not a good fit with what the Spurs need. Not at all.

The sheer 16 and 11 he put up as a focal point with the Bulls couldn't be more irrelevant w/ how he'd fit with the Spurs.

Good post TD.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 08:43 PM
As far as his production, citing raw averages without considering context and fit, is antiquated and foolish. What he averaged in a situation where he was playing a featured role (which he wouldn't with the Spurs), is irrelevant.

Here's the context: Featured role? Pau Gasol was the 3rd option on offense behind Rose and Butler. The assumption is that he fills Tim's role and is the third option here as well. Even if Tim decides to go another year, I think either player would be open to coming off the bench.

Not a floor spacer? That's ridiculous. The guy has tremendous range. He made 24 3 pointers this past season from the C position. How many did Tim make? The guy can beat you inside or outside and is a threat on offense.

This is about the bigger picture. Pau Gasol will cost 7 to 8 Mill per season. He would fit on our payroll w/o any changes as is. Bring him in and address other needs through free agency like defense and backup pg. Move Diaw the fuck out of here and consider bringing in an experienced pg like Jeremy Lin. If you can move TP, then all the better.

tmtcsc
06-25-2016, 08:58 PM
All this is so spot on.

Gasol isn't the type of player Spurs need. Gasols' value is tied to touches and usage. Spurs don't need a guy next to Aldridge sucking away touches from Aldridge and KL ( they need either a roller or a legit PnPop 3 PF).

So what you're saying is Aldridge and KL provided enough offense against OKC? What if Gasol was on the floor to take Adams or Kanter away from the hoop? They wouldn't have been free to hover around the basket for rebounds. I think you are discounting how tough the offense became when Tim was taking up space on the court without being a threat. It was downright sad.

At the same time, Gasol is very limited on the defensive end. The only value he has on that end is in post defense. Unfortunately, most teams are going away from post offense more and more and centering their offense around the perimeter play-making -- where Gasol is a huge liabliity.

That's funny. You think Gasol would be a huge liability. Who's the option on the Spurs now? Who is out there that can come in and play solid D and rebound for the Spurs? Who is the answer? Does Kevin Durant solve those problems?

Seriously, how much of a liability was Enes Kanter and his awful defense?

The options are scarce, and I can understand why SA wld reluctantly be content going w/ Gasol but he's not a good fit with what the Spurs need. Not at all.

Not at all. Good stuff.
https://media.giphy.com/media/PKiVPVBuQsTnO/giphy.gif

Here's a good compilation of how Gasol can kill teams inside OR outside. Besides 2 triple doubles this year, he scored 46 pts in his first year with the Bulls. He managed to exploit just about everyone who tried to guard him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f0VIRYR5tQ

Mr. Body
06-25-2016, 09:05 PM
God, get that greasy faced moron off this page.

Mikeanaro
06-25-2016, 10:09 PM
Forget that old fart, couldnt even make it in the east.

Nathan89
06-25-2016, 10:15 PM
Gasol is a huge plus on offense. The only concern is his defense. Nearly all the complaints about Gasol's offense are in areas he is much better at than Tim Duncan. He's able to dribble more than 1 time as well which is something LMA can't do. He skilled around the rim so if you want to do some picknpop then LMA can do it.

elemento
06-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Gasol is a huge plus on offense. The only concern is his defense. Nearly all the complaints about Gasol's offense are in areas he is much better at than Tim Duncan. He's able to dribble more than 1 time as well which is something LMA can't do. He skilled around the rim so if you want to do some picknpop then LMA can do it.

I agree. Some fellows are only focusing on the negatives and not looking at the good things about Gasol, especially if he is willing to come @ a decent price tag. He is plug and play vet that knows how to play the game and knows what it takes to win.

Good post defender, elite passing skills, authentic 7 footer that can rebound , good post scorer and can hit the mid-range. Yeah, he is not the defensive anchor that every Spurs fan wishes after Duncan says good bye, but who is ? You look at the market and elite rim protectors/great weakside shot-blockers are going to cost a ton in the FA and they aren't even that great Washed up Howard for 120m ? 1-year wonder Whiteside for the max ? Biyombo for 20m/year?

I don't think Gasol is the ultimate answer, but I wouldn't rule him out as an option at all.

8FOR!3
06-25-2016, 10:53 PM
I actually like the idea of Gasol being the starting center and Duncan coming off the bench if he comes back. Mainly because I could see us running a pick & roll with the point guard and Aldridge and Gasol with the double screen.

Kawhitstorm
06-25-2016, 11:43 PM
I actually like the idea of Gasol being the starting center and Duncan coming off the bench if he comes back. Mainly because I could see us running a pick & roll with the point guard and Aldridge and Gasol with the double screen.

Teams would just hug the screeners & dare Porker to beat them like they have been doing the past 2 seasons.:lol (OKC basically did that after Gm 2 which is why Porker's scoring went up in Gm 3-4)

Kawhitstorm
06-26-2016, 12:51 AM
Meh. Don't know if old stiffs are so important anymore. More and more the NBA is heading to having just 1 big (and a very mobile one) with 6'8, 6'7 guys playing around him on the perimeter. Wings are, by far, the most important players on today's NBA and we have a glaring lack of them in the roster. That should be our biggest aim, imho.

Spurs have the best starting wing combo in the league in Danny/Kawhi who, if needed, can handle playing 40 minutes in a playoff series.:lol

What the team is lacking is a TWO-WAY point guard like Conley & a mobile 4/5 like Horford/Biyombo/Ian. Since it's possible to hide Porker or not miss much by benching him for whoever replaces Patty(:lol), the mobile 4 is imperative as they will essentially be involved in every play (ala Tristan).

If Tim retires then I wouldn't mind throwing 3yrs/50mill on Biyombo (less that Tristan's deal) as opposed to giving Horford 4yrs/100mill. Now that Ibaka is gone, Horford/LMA would get a full dose of Adams/Kanter/Sabonis who would maul them on the boards.:lol I also wouldn't mind Ian for something like 3yrs/42mill although he's also a mediocre rebounder.

As far as backup PGs, I hope Fatty gets moved & is replaced by someone who can actually be effective when their shot isn't falling.:lol Looking at two-way backup PGs on the market, Delly is overrated & is thus going to get overpaid but E'Twaun Moore would be nice if the Bulls don't plan on bringing him back. Vasquez is a shitty defender but he can at least run the offense & drive so he's also an option.

IMO, if Tim doesn't retire then there are going to be a lot of FAs that won't sign b/c they don't want to come off the bench. At this point, I hope he just hangs it up b/c knees don't get better with age. Best case scenario, he's willing to come off the bench for the minimum then PATFO can sell him as a mentor, which should especially be attractive to someone like Biyombo.

Mnky
06-26-2016, 01:23 AM
While Gasol would be a good addition, he shouldn't be priority 1 when you have a top 5 player shot. It is realistic as well, everyone knows it's a three team race at this point unless someone makes a big move, (Knicks signing Howard at a discount?) Or something like that. Spurs will have their shot, and should be focused on that, they ha e backup plans and I'm sure Gasol is one as we pursued him before. Gasol would make the spurs instantly better. Whether people want to admit or nor, he is a better center than Tim Duncan at this point. Duncan played his role great, but wasn't great at anything else. Not a knock on him, hes just 40 years old with knees held together by duct tape.

Gasol plays well against clippers, cavaliers, thunder as well. Against gs, he could work the boards better than what we had and be a consistent floor stretcher, which they needed last year. I'd take him for sure. His game won't change for a couple years.. he does everything standing up. So long , doesn't need to jump.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 01:27 AM
^ Let's see what RC has mind. You have a lot of creative ideas there and it depends how they want to play. As raw as Biyombo is offensively and he is raw, he's very young and I do like the elite rebeounding. Even if he's a situational player he has an elite skill. I am not sure if the Raptors will match offers to keep him.

I am not sold on Conley bc his injury history is scary for me. He's starting to look like Tiago 2.0. I am just wary of guys who are unhealthy like that specially when they are wanting to get overpaid. I do not want Gordon 2.0 either. But the market is thin. Truly at this point I have no idea what RC has in mind. I suspect it may be underwhelming, or maybe I am setting myself up for disappointment so that if we do pick up someone who fits and ends up being a nice player for us, I am pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't sold on Horford for the max either bc he's choked in playoff series too and he's been mauled by the athletic rebounders. I would pass if he wanted to max and ATL will max him.

I definitely want an improvement for the bench. Maybe they do aim to move Patty. I didn't think Pop would but it would set up Tony to go to the bench and Patty is entering the last year of a very cheap contract. They let CoJo go for no assets and should not make the same mistake again. If they do not envision resigning Patty he should be traded, but its the Spurs. Frankly we will only trade guys if they need to clear space for Durant.

We shall see.

tmtcsc
06-26-2016, 01:58 AM
If Tim retires then I wouldn't mind throwing 3yrs/50mill on Biyombo

https://media.giphy.com/media/S29erwxh2cbF6/giphy.gif

DAF86
06-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Spurs have the best starting wing combo in the league in Danny/Kawhi who, if needed, can handle playing 40 minutes in a playoff series.:lol

What the team is lacking is a TWO-WAY point guard like Conley & a mobile 4/5 like Horford/Biyombo/Ian. Since it's possible to hide Porker or not miss much by benching him for whoever replaces Patty(:lol), the mobile 4 is imperative as they will essentially be involved in every play (ala Tristan).

If Tim retires then I wouldn't mind throwing 3yrs/50mill on Biyombo (less that Tristan's deal) as opposed to giving Horford 4yrs/100mill. Now that Ibaka is gone, Horford/LMA would get a full dose of Adams/Kanter/Sabonis who would maul them on the boards.:lol I also wouldn't mind Ian for something like 3yrs/42mill although he's also a mediocre rebounder.

As far as backup PGs, I hope Fatty gets moved & is replaced by someone who can actually be effective when their shot isn't falling.:lol Looking at two-way backup PGs on the market, Delly is overrated & is thus going to get overpaid but E'Twaun Moore would be nice if the Bulls don't plan on bringing him back. Vasquez is a shitty defender but he can at least run the offense & drive so he's also an option.

IMO, if Tim doesn't retire then there are going to be a lot of FAs that won't sign b/c they don't want to come off the bench. At this point, I hope he just hangs it up b/c knees don't get better with age. Best case scenario, he's willing to come off the bench for the minimum then PATFO can sell him as a mentor, which should especially be attractive to someone like Biyombo.

I love Kwahi and Green (even though Danny can't do shit besides hitting threes on offense), but after them what? If Danny is having one of those games where his shot isn't falling who do we play? Who would be the 3rd wing on the inevitable smallball line-up we will have to play at some point if we want to go all thr way? A versatile, young athletic wing is a must for this team.

ceperez
06-26-2016, 11:37 AM
I love Kwahi and Green (even though Danny can't do shit besides hitting threes on offense), but after them what? If Danny is having one of those games where his shot isn't falling who do we play? Who would be the 3rd wing on the inevitable smallball line-up we will have to play at some point if we want to go all thr way? A versatile, young athletic wing is a must for this team.

True. Spurs need an additional player that can create his own offense.

Kawhitstorm
06-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Harrison Barnes is about to get the max just because he's a YOUNG athletic 3 & D guy who can play the 4 in a small-ball line-up, it wouldn't be smart to shell-out that kind of money on a backup wing when Kawhi/Danny are on the roster. The Cavs were playing Dick Jefferson MAJOR minutes in the Finals when he was Rasual Butler status & 10 mill man Shumpert isn't that much better than Simmons.:lol

Someone like Wes Johnson could probably be had for the room exception (he played for the vet min last season) & he would be fine as the 3rd wing. PATFO need to invest the cap space on a mobile 4/5 since the team doesn't have anyone who fits that description.:lol (If they could dump Patty & sign E'Twaun Moore then he can also play backup 2 ala George Hill)

Nathan89
06-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Biyombo doesn't fit next to Danny and lma on offense unless we added a stud pg. The only option for the spurs is to bolster a small ball lineup. That means an upgrade at the pg and wing position. That's the only way to increase play making ability without acquiring a stud.

wildbill2u
06-26-2016, 02:07 PM
At this point in their careers, would you rather have Gasol or Diaw? They both made $7.5 million last year.

Per 36 Minutes Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=diawbo01&p2=gasolpa01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_minute::none) · ?

Rk
Player
From
To
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Boris Diaw (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/diawbo01.html)

Pau Gasol (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html)

Nathan89
06-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Gasol over Diaw. Both are shit on defense but Gasol has length. Also Diaw disappears too much.

wildbill2u
06-26-2016, 02:18 PM
There are some other options for a FA center. If i had my druthers, I think Hassan Whiteside would be it. Then we'd have the two best defenders in the league with Kwahi able to gamble more with Whiteside backing him up at the rim.

Two other possibilities are Ezeli (sp?) and believe it or not, Ian Mahinmi. Ian has worked himself into the NBA starting center we always hoped he could be.

Emperor
06-26-2016, 02:35 PM
There are some other options for a FA center. If i had my druthers, I think Hassan Whiteside would be it. Then we'd have the two best defenders in the league with Kwahi able to gamble more with Whiteside backing him up at the rim.

Two other possibilities are Ezeli (sp?) and believe it or not, Ian Mahinmi. Ian has worked himself into the NBA starting center we always hoped he could be.

I wouldn't mind Mahinmi coming back. He was pretty solid for Indy this past season. Maybe even Jordan Hill also?

wildbill2u
06-26-2016, 02:41 PM
One thing about former Spurs. I don't think any of them harbor any resentments about their trades to other teams because they got some additions to thier value during their time here because they actually received some good training and enhanced their skills.

TD 21
06-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Here's the context: Featured role? Pau Gasol was the 3rd option on offense behind Rose and Butler. The assumption is that he fills Tim's role and is the third option here as well. Even if Tim decides to go another year, I think either player would be open to coming off the bench.

Gasol actually had a slightly higher usage rate than Butler, but more importantly, he was the go-to low post option and primary pick and roll big.

I'm not saying him and Aldridge can't work as a pairing offensively, I'm just saying, he wouldn't really solve any issue; he'd just be the most talented option and closest thing to a Duncan archetype.

Neither Duncan or him are coming off the bench. If Duncan chooses to forego retirement, they're not signing him.

Not a floor spacer? That's ridiculous. The guy has tremendous range. He made 24 3 pointers this past season from the C position. How many did Tim make? The guy can beat you inside or outside and is a threat on offense.

Floor spacing isn't the ability to make range shots, it's the ability to instill enough fear in the opposition that they guard you as such.

This is about the bigger picture. Pau Gasol will cost 7 to 8 Mill per season. He would fit on our payroll w/o any changes as is. Bring him in and address other needs through free agency like defense and backup pg. Move Diaw the fuck out of here and consider bringing in an experienced pg like Jeremy Lin. If you can move TP, then all the better.

He cost $7-8M last time around because he was in a position where he had to reprove himself and the Bulls were the only team that offered everything he was looking for: a chance to contend (he thought), a featured role and more money than the other interested teams. He'll probably cost $10-12M this time around.

tmtcsc
06-26-2016, 03:43 PM

I believe Whiteside is going to make Max money. Spurs need to fill lots of holes right now and should consider spreading the $$ around. I think Allen Crabbe in Portland is going to be a player. Wish we could get him but I think Portland would match offers.

tmtcsc
06-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Gasol actually had a slightly higher usage rate than Butler, but more importantly, he was the go-to low post option and primary pick and roll big.

I'm not saying him and Aldridge can't work as a pairing offensively, I'm just saying, he wouldn't really solve any issue; he'd just be the most talented option and closest thing to a Duncan archetype.

Neither Duncan or him are coming off the bench. If Duncan chooses to forego retirement, they're not signing him.

Floor spacing isn't the ability to make range shots, it's the ability to instill enough fear in opposing coaches/defenders that they guard you as such. They don't, in his case.

He cost $7-8M last time around because he was in a position where he had to reprove himself and the Bulls were the only team that offered everything he was looking for: a chance to contend (he thought), a featured role and more money than the other interested teams. He'll probably cost $10-12M this time around.

Not only does Gasol have 3 pt range, he also has a solid mid-range jumper. If defenders don't stay honest he can torch them. What makes you so sure Gasol or Duncan wouldn't come off the bench in the best interest of the team? I wouldn't want to see Duncan come off the bench mind you, but Gasol is the better player IF Duncan has lingering knee issues. Hell, I'd rather Tim retire to be honest. If his knee isn't right I hope he goes out now. I hated to see scrubs give him a hard time in the playoffs.

If his knee is better, then he starts and Gasol comes off the bench. I think Gasol could respect that.

Why did Gasol have to prove himself in Chicago? He was an UFA that averaged 17 pts in his last sting with Lakers. He was on a crap team.

No doubt Gasol was worth more than 7.5 Mill per season and could get more now, but he's proven that $$ is hisn't biggest motivator at this point. Winning a Championship is. I'm hoping the Spurs plug him in to TD's spot.

TD 21
06-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Not only does Gasol have 3 pt range, he also has a solid mid-range jumper. If defenders don't stay honest he can torch them. What makes you so sure Gasol or Duncan wouldn't come off the bench in the best interest of the team? I wouldn't want to see Duncan come off the bench mind you, but Gasol is the better player IF Duncan has lingering knee issues. Hell, I'd rather Tim retire to be honest. If his knee isn't right I hope he goes out now. I hated to see scrubs give him a hard time in the playoffs.

If his knee is better, then he starts and Gasol comes off the bench. I think Gasol could respect that.

Why did Gasol have to prove himself in Chicago? He was an UFA that averaged 17 pts in his last sting with Lakers. He was on a crap team.

No doubt Gasol was worth more than 7.5 Mill per season and could get more now, but he's proven that $$ is hisn't biggest motivator at this point. Winning a Championship is. I'm hoping the Spurs plug him in to TD's spot.

What does that have to do with what I said?

There's only a need for one. Marjanovic will more than likely be re-signed and become the primary backup center. Even if that weren't the case, I don't believe that they'd ever ask Duncan to come off the bench in perpetuity nor pursue Gasol to do the same. Gasol has a massive ego.

You and your ppg averages. Gasol was injured and his play declined towards the end of his Lakers tenure. It wasn't known what the primary reason was for his decline: Age or injury/unhappiness with the situation.

Again, the Bulls were the only team that could offer EVERYTHING he was seeking, like the Spurs were with Aldridge. He didn't take less because he's altruistic.

I'm not necessarily opposed to signing him, I'm just saying, he wouldn't really solve any particular issue.

SpurPadre
06-26-2016, 04:20 PM
:wakeup

Meaningless thread without tspence chiming in, tbh.

dabom
06-26-2016, 04:33 PM
I'd take Diaw over Gasol. He already knows the system. The thing is Pop can't have Diaw with another PF. Of course the team will look like shit when that happens.

dabom
06-26-2016, 04:34 PM
And Pop isn't afraid to bench Diaw when he needs to. I'm pretty sure he'd ride or die with Gasol if he came. Just like Dwest.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Biyombo doesn't fit next to Danny and lma on offense unless we added a stud pg. The only option for the spurs is to bolster a small ball lineup. That means an upgrade at the pg and wing position. That's the only way to increase play making ability without acquiring a stud.
Definitely one of the big issues to consider in FA is how they want to play.

tmtcsc
06-26-2016, 05:12 PM
What does that have to do with what I said?

You wrote: "Floor spacing isn't the ability to make range shots, it's the ability to instill enough fear in opposing coaches/defenders that they guard you as such. They don't, in his case."

I'm arguing that he does space the floor and opponents would have to guard him away from the basket. How does that not solve the problem of having guys like Kanter and Adams cheating because they don't fear Tim will shoot, much less make a shot? Also, no matter what caliber of rebounder you think Gasol is, he averaged a double-double.

I'm just saying, he wouldn't really solve any particular issue.

Agree to disagree.

wildbill2u
06-26-2016, 05:50 PM
I believe Whiteside is going to make Max money. Spurs need to fill lots of holes right now and should consider spreading the $$ around. I think Allen Crabbe in Portland is going to be a player. Wish we could get him but I think Portland would match offers.

I'm afraid you're right about Hassan getting max money. Lots of teams would love that defense from a young center with offensive upside. Maybe our counterpart is NDoye. I still like that guy as a development player. He did some impressive work in the D league at the end of the season. Big and MObile and Hostile.

Per 36 Minutes Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/players/n/ndoyeyo01d.html#nbdl_per_minute::none) · ?

Season
Tm
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2015-16 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/years/2016.html)
AUS (http://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/teams/AUS/2016.html)

Career

TD 21
06-26-2016, 06:01 PM
You wrote: "Floor spacing isn't the ability to make range shots, it's the ability to instill enough fear in opposing coaches/defenders that they guard you as such. They don't, in his case."

I'm arguing that he does space the floor and opponents would have to guard him away from the basket. How does that not solve the problem of having guys like Kanter and Adams cheating because they don't fear Tim will shoot, much less make a shot? Also, no matter what caliber of rebounder you think Gasol is, he averaged a double-double.

Agree to disagree.

You might think they should, but they don't really. In general, teams don't really care about mid rangers or low volume three-point shooting.

As I said, I think him and Aldridge would find a way to function fine together offensively though.

His rebounding is definitely not an issue. In fact, his past few seasons have been his best on the defensive glass.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm afraid you're right about Hassan getting max money. Lots of teams would love that defense from a young center with offensive upside. Maybe our counterpart is NDoye. I still like that guy as a development player. He did some impressive work in the D league at the end of the season. Big and MObile and Hostile.

Per 36 Minutes

Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/players/n/ndoyeyo01d.html#nbdl_per_minute::none) · ?

Season
Tm
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Career

I like Ndoye and I hope he gets a real chance with us. We are looking like we are running out of spots unless some guys retire TBH, that is why I am less optimistic he would have a chance to make the team, not because he can't play. I think if not with us, he will be picked up by someone though.

AFMadison
06-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Edit your post again and make it better...

CosmicCowboy
06-26-2016, 07:02 PM
If KD is strongly leaning towards returning to OKC smartest thing he can do is stall Spurs and GS to miss out on other acceptable FA's.

AFMadison
06-26-2016, 07:03 PM
https://pickandpopovichcom194.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/pau-spurs-1.jpg?w=1278

Nathan89
06-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Pau would probably be guarded more closely than Duncan was getting guarded at the top of the key. Defenders were sitting back making it impossible for LMA. In that scenario he's able to shoot and dribble more than Duncan if he wants to get closer. Also he maintains a the great passing.

sasaint
06-26-2016, 08:34 PM
If KD is strongly leaning towards returning to OKC smartest thing he can do is stall Spurs and GS to miss out on other acceptable FA's.

Exactly, which is why the Spurs would be wise to pursue truly realistic options from the get-go. The time to pursue another big fish is 2017.

poeticism707
06-26-2016, 09:11 PM
I think the Spurs should target Pau Gasol before anyone other legitimate FA at this point. He has Championship experience, puts up fantastic numbers, is a great passer, plays the center spot and spreads the floor. The Spurs would own the paint with him and Aldridge down low. His defense isn't the greatest but he still has the size and mobility to be effective. I think he has at least 3 or 4 years left.

Assuming Gasol asks for the same money or less per year, signing him would allow the Spurs additional funds to address other areas. As far as I am concerned, anyone not named Leonard or Aldridge should be available for trade. Mills and Diaw were huge disappointments in effort and effectiveness. They looked like they lost their fire to compete along with their shots.

I don't expect much from the new euros and draft pick for at least a couple of years. Durant is a one in a million piece and pretty much a pipe dream a this point. I hope the organization doesn't wait too long for an answer and lose out on other guys.

Gasol only cost 7.5 Mill & put up: 16.5 and 11 Rebounds per game. Sheeeeeit...how this guy isn't every contender's bargain target is beyond me.

Hey R.C. and Pop:

https://media.giphy.com/media/wi8Ez1mwRcKGI/giphy.gif

No.

No more broken down has beens.

Fuck Gasol.

The stupid faggot had his chance.

He signed with Chicago because they

were going to be "contenders," LOLLOLLOL!!!!!

The faggot made his bed in the windy city.

Let him lie in it.

AFBlue
06-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Joachim Noah seems like the better fit if you're talking post players. He's an equally gifted, if not better passer than Pau and plays the true Center position. He goes hard all the time, and while his emotional schtick gets old as an opponent, I get the sense that you rally around it if he's on your side.

I don't know what his market is this summer, either in terms of dollars or interested teams, but I think I'd look toward him over Pau if the Spurs a're targeting a big.

Ice009
06-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Joachim Noah seems like the better fit if you're talking post players. He's an equally gifted, if not better passer than Pau and plays the true Center position. He goes hard all the time, and while his emotional schtick gets old as an opponent, I get the sense that you rally around it if he's on your side.

I don't know what his market is this summer, either in terms of dollars or interested teams, but I think I'd look toward him over Pau if the Spurs a're targeting a big.

lol, you don't know his market is? There was a rumour that the Wizards were going to offer him 120 million. You still want him?

tmtcsc
06-26-2016, 11:41 PM
lol, you don't know his market is? There was a rumour that the Wizards were going to offer him 120 million. You still want him?

That's completely insane. He has been in the league 9 years and has failed to play at least 70 games in six of them. Signing him for that type of money is as irresponsible as it gets.

Chillen
06-26-2016, 11:47 PM
No.

No more broken down has beens.

Fuck Gasol.

The stupid faggot had his chance.

He signed with Chicago because they

were going to be "contenders," LOLLOLLOL!!!!!

The faggot made his bed in the windy city.

Let him lie in it.

If he doesn't sign this time than that rant is justified. Spurs need him with a declining Duncan or maybe retired Duncan.

Noah is probably gonna go after the $$$. I hope he wants to join a contender for less.

Stabula
06-27-2016, 02:03 AM
Is Noel for sale?

SD126
06-27-2016, 02:30 AM
Is Noel for sale?

We don't have the assets Philly wants

AFBlue
06-27-2016, 10:24 AM

Right. A rumor that was quickly contradicted. Not saying it's impossible, but given his injury history I don't see a long-term big money deal being offered. The only exception would be from a desperate NY team.

SD126
06-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Right. A rumor that was quickly contradicted. Not saying it's impossible, but given his injury history I don't see a long-term big money deal being offered. The only exception would be from a desperate NY team.

Someone will overpay for him big time. Not to the tune of 4/120, but he'll get it. Too many retards for basketball GMs

wildbill2u
06-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Someone will overpay for him big time. Not to the tune of 4/120, but he'll get it. Too many retards for basketball GMs

For him to get that kind of money, some team would have to hire Isaiah Thomas as their GM.

poeticism707
06-27-2016, 12:35 PM
If he doesn't sign this time than that rant is justified. Spurs need him with a declining Duncan or maybe retired Duncan.

Noah is probably gonna go after the $$$. I hope he wants to join a contender for less.

Spurs don't need a fucking thing.

Especially not some old,

no d playing has been in Gazol.

Spurs need even less Noah,

who spends more time on the injured list than playing,

and who hasn't been an impact player in 7 years.

Fuck both of those scrubs.

tmtcsc
06-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Interesting comments by Woj. Gives me hope Pau is the target I was hoping he would be:

Forward to 35:25 mark of today's The Vertical Podcast w/ Chris Mannix (June 28, 2016) - http://art19.com/shows/vertical-chris-mannix

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Will be interesting to see if he still has a big ego, tbh..

I said the same thing in the 100+ page Gasol thread here..it was 100% obvious that he would choose the Bulls over the Spurs due to the money and touches..Gasol cares about the number of touches he receives and his role in the offense, he's not a Duncan-like selfless player, tbh(it isn't discussed, because he's White, though)..

tmtcsc
06-28-2016, 04:49 PM

I said the same thing in the 100+ page Gasol thread here..it was 100% obvious that he would choose the Bulls over the Spurs due to the money and touches..Gasol cares about the number of touches he receives and his role in the offense, he's not a Duncan-like selfless player, tbh(it isn't discussed, because he's White, though)..

It's hard to blame the guy. He felt he could start, was able to get a little more $$ and the Spurs had just won a Championship. The Bulls represented a clearer path to the Championship in the East. Lebron had gone to Cleveland and the Bulls looked like they were prime to get to the next level with Pau's help. Things have changed and I imagine (hope) he has too. Tiago is no longer here, Tim may not be here either. I'm sure he wanted to feel like he could make a significant difference in Chicago. I think he can add a lot to the Spurs and their latest offensive philosophy now.

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2016, 04:51 PM
It's hard to blame the guy. He felt he could start, was able to get a little more $$ and the Spurs had just won a Championship. The Bulls represented a clearer path to the Championship in the East. Lebron had gone to Cleveland and the Bulls looked like their were prime to get to the next level with Pau's help. Things have changed and I imagine (hope) he has too.

I'm not blaming him, I applaud all players that want $(and touches)..in Gasol's case, he already has 2 titles as a major piece, so we don't really know how much he values championships, at this point..in the case with the Bulls, he chose the inferior team that could give him more touches and money(which was understandable)..

If he can get more money and touches on a mid-tier playoff team(so, excluding SA, GS, OKC, Cle), I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the offer(maybe a team like the Hawks if they lose Horford, for example, or a Miami if they lose Whiteside, although I haven't looked up what type of $ those teams can offer)..

tmtcsc
06-28-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm not blaming him, I applaud all players that want $(and touches)..in Gasol's case, he already has 2 titles as a major piece, so we don't really know how much he values championships, at this point..in the case with the Bulls, he chose the inferior team that could give him more touches and money(which was understandable)..

If he can get more money and touches on a mid-tier playoff team(so, excluding SA, GS, OKC, Cle), I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the offer..

Just a guess, but I think he values Championships quite a bit. He's made a lot of money over the years and I'm not sure its his # 1 priority. But who knows?

DPG21920
06-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Definitely one of the big issues to consider in FA is how they want to play.

Well, the good news just Biyombo's ability to finish at the rim would be a major upgrade over this year's Tim offensively. Any upgrade (assuming no slippage from LMA/Kawhi and DG getting back to normal) would make an already good offense still very solid.

Hoops Czar
06-28-2016, 05:03 PM

My bullshit detector just exploded.

It was actually discussed ad nauseam back when he was playing for the Lakers. It was actually one of the main reason he didn't even consider re-signing with them in the offseason even though they could have offered him the most money and with both Kobe and the Lakers stating publicly they wanting him back. However, I don't recall him complaining much about touches while playing for Chicago and teaming up with Derrick Rose. Chalk this up to racist people saying racist things?

SAGirl
06-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Well, the good news just Biyombo's ability to finish at the rim would be a major upgrade over this year's Tim offensively. Any upgrade (assuming no slippage from LMA/Kawhi and DG getting back to normal) would make an already good offense still very solid.
I like the idea of:
if we are picking up a roleplayer, let's at least make sure he's the best at one thing or two.
That is what made Tristan get paid. He's not the best big ever, but he was a great fit in his team and he was elite at one thing.
I think us lacking youth, athleticism, strength, and not having much in rebounders inside, are things Biyombo can fix, but he obviously affects the system, offense, etc. Its a concern that LMA is not that great a passer, in a way it makes it seem like you want the big next to him to be a capable one, to find cutters and such. I just don't know considering how raw he is, if he's a target for Pop. Pau seems like a better fit to the system Pop wants to run, I guess.

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 05:53 PM

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 05:54 PM

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 05:55 PM

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 05:55 PM

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Welcome to SA, Pau.

Tbh.

:flag:

look_at_g_shred
06-28-2016, 05:58 PM
The more I think about it..the meeting with KD is probably more for next summer. I think we get Gasol for sure.

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 06:01 PM

Per 36 Minutes

Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · Export · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/players/n/ndoyeyo01d.html#nbdl_per_minute::none) · ?

Season
Tm
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Career

What's wild is Hassan's D is one dimensional and even detrimental in some areas.
He, in my opinion, should not be a max player (and I know he will be) and the last team he should go to is the Lakers to poison their children with his immature attitude.
Which is exactly why I hope they sign him to as max as they can.

SAGirl
06-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Welcome to SA, Pau.

Tbh.

Yep. I think he's that super FA acquisition this summer.
Frankly, I think he would do great in our system, also all the international players we have who compete in Summer Euro competitions etc, he'd fit right in. Can mentor a lot of our guys too. I like it.
The youth movement is how many rookies we are getting, not the FA we are adding.

I read that tweet you shared too. I also seemed inclined to think Manu is returning. He didn't sound like he wanted to retire, but Timmy's different. Manu also said his decision wasn't tied to Tim or what anyone else decided. Considering that Timmy could retire, Gasol is a great fit.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-28-2016, 07:23 PM
I don't see how Pau fits on the court (although he would fit the culture well). We need a rugged defender-rebounder-roller to the rim to put next to LMA. Gasol has many strengths, but they don't fit our needs.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 07:55 PM
The more I think about it..the meeting with KD is probably more for next summer. I think we get Gasol for sure.

There won't be a next summer for KD

poeticism707
06-28-2016, 09:02 PM

If he can get more money and touches on a mid-tier playoff team(so, excluding SA, GS, OKC, Cle), I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the offer(maybe a team like the Hawks if they lose Horford, for example, or a Miami if they lose Whiteside, although I haven't looked up what type of $ those teams can offer)..

You are not blaming Gasol. This is pretty clear.

But I am.

Fuck that dick taking faggot Gasol.

And his self delusions of worth.

He ain't played D since 2010.

Splitter was 1000x better in helping us win a title,

with his RIDICULOUS pick and roll d.

Gasol signed with some scrubs in the east

when he still had something left in the tank.

For maybe 500k more a year, which comes to nothing in no Fed taxes in TX.

And now that he turned down the Spurs,

and now that he has NOTHING left in the tank,

who does he want to bail him out of irrelevancy he created for himself???

Of course, none other than the team he turned down in the first place.

Fuck Gasol. He got exactly what he wanted.

Even if he didn't want what he got.

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 09:04 PM
You are not blaming Gasol. This is pretty clear.

But I am.

Fuck that dick taking faggot Gasol.

And his self delusions of worth.

He ain't played D since 2010.

Splitter was 1000x better in helping us win a title,

with his RIDICULOUS pick and roll d.

Gasol signed with some scrubs in the east

when he still had something left in the tank.

For maybe 500k more a year, which comes to nothing in no Fed taxes in TX.

And now that he turned down the Spurs,

and now that he has NOTHING left in the tank,

who does he want to bail him out of irrelevancy he created for himself???

Of course, none other than the team he turned down in the first place.

Fuck Gasol. He got exactly what he wanted.

Even if he didn't want what he got.
I feel this, but if Duncan now leaves...
What you got to replace that's any better?

poeticism707
06-28-2016, 09:22 PM
I feel this, but if Duncan now leaves...
What you got to replace that's any better?

NDOYE. A YOUNG and MOBILE seven footer, very good shot blocker,

with GOOD HELP D, he's already on the Spurs d league team.

Spurs signed him to a training camp deal a and released him.

THAT WAS DUMB AS FUCK OF THE FO.

Whether he was ready or not, they should gave him a

two year minimum deal, and worked with him,

gave him playing time during the RS. UNTIL HE WAS READY.

If the human bench rider Bonner can be here 10 FUCKING YEARS,

THEN WHY THE FUCK CAN'T NDOYE GET A SHOT???

The Spurs need to sign this guy to a two year minimum deal

FUCKING YESTERDAY.

DeRozan m8
06-29-2016, 05:59 AM
I know we need some youth but I'm not against this.

Its not like we are rebuilding, we're still right up there so a short term fix isn't a negative thing really.

Still averaged over 16 points a game and can rebound and protect the rim better than any current Spur, 6th in rebounds (LMA 24, Duncan 42) and 5th in blocks (Duncan 30, LMA 39).

In a perfect world he paves the way whilst Boban develops into the real monster he is

Mnky
06-29-2016, 06:08 AM
I know we need some youth but I'm not against this.

Its not like we are rebuilding, we're still right up there so a short term fix isn't a negative thing really.

Still averaged over 16 points a game and can rebound and protect the rim better than any current Spur, 6th in rebounds (LMA 24, Duncan 42) and 5th in blocks (Duncan 30, LMA 39).

In a perfect world he paves the way whilst Boban develops into the real monster he is

Well said. The guy rebounds and blocks well, he doesn't need to jump so it makes it easier for him to high point plays with minimal effort. He also stretches the floor way better than Duncan ever has, let alone right now. He compliments lma well, and is a great passer who can be another floor general when others are feeling the pressure. Has championship experience and knows how to win. Really isn't much downside since he shouldn't be commanding a large amount. He could also help grow the other guys coming in boban and possibly milutov

Chillen
06-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Having Gasol puts less pressure on Aldridge and Leonard, also it would help Duncan play another season since his knees were troubled last season. I love the idea of starting Pau and bringing Tim off the bench, not many NBA teams would say no to having a future HOF coming off the bench it adds depth. No matter what happens with Durant, Spurs FO needs to sign Pau, he could be the missing piece to this team becoming champions again.

tbdog
06-29-2016, 06:41 AM
I would love Tony, Manu, and TD come off the bench together. That chemestry for 15-20mins a game. Man. However, TD and Manu are gonna have to get heaps of games off

bklynspursfan
06-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Was thinking the same

Mr. Body
06-29-2016, 09:43 AM
They'll sign Gasol and Lin. That'll be the off-season.

TheGoldStandard
06-29-2016, 09:45 AM
They'll sign Boban and Bonner. That'll be the off-season.

FIFY

ceperez
06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Lin??? Don't we have 2 other players in Summer league with the same skill set? Forbes and Arcidiacono?

szkorhetz
06-29-2016, 09:54 AM
I would be fine.

TheGoldStandard
06-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't it be some shit if Gasol didn't come over because they decided to bring back Bonner...

Kindergarten Cop
06-29-2016, 10:47 AM

I may be in the minority, but I would be ecstatic if this happened to be our Plan B.

lmbebo
06-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Wouldn't it be some shit if Gasol didn't come over because they decided to bring back Bonner...

I think Bonner moves to the bench to replace Forcier.

I think our bigs may be ...

1. LMA
2. Boban
3. Diaw
4. LJC
5. Pau?

I think Duncan retires. And if he doesn't, then he's a 6th big.

Mr. Body
06-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Lin??? Don't we have 2 other players in Summer league with the same skill set? Forbes and Arcidiacono?

Are you serious?

.G.
06-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Wow. Was not aware R.C. and Pop lurked here. Cool.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't see how Pau fits on the court (although he would fit the culture well). We need a rugged defender-rebounder-roller to the rim to put next to LMA. Gasol has many strengths, but they don't fit our needs.
Pau just came off one of the best rebounding seasons of his career, possibly best. He also averaged 2.0 blocks a game, .1 below his career high. 3.5DBPM too....

72 games :tu
31.8 minutes a game :tu
All star :tu
16.5ppg, 11.0rpg, 4.1apg, 2.0bpg :tu

Pau is extremely underrated on here, don't know why. Probably "built not bought fans" (not saying you are one)

RD2191
06-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Fuck Pau. I might not even watch the Spurs this season if they sign this soft ass pussy.

Neurosis
06-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Yeah let's add some more senior citizens to the roster - that'll really help.

We need:
- playmaking
- perimeter shooting
- rebounding
- athleticism

Our offense struggles because both our #1 and #2 options can't function as playmakers. If they have an off game they don't have the ability to create for others, so we stagnate.

Plus even if they do make a nice play, it ends up in the hands of guys like Verde (can't score off dribble to save his life) Timmy (can't hit a jumper to save his life) or Parker (jumper has declined a lot, can't create his own shot reliably anymore)

Then we get crushed on boards by legit athletic teams. Timmy can give us a good 15 minutes per game. Manu too. Parker 20-25. We need other options for those guys. Parker still legit fucking sodomizes bad defensive lineups. He would be a total destroyer off the bench and any PG we get only needs to give 20-25 as well in conjunction with parker. If that. We can put Manu on point, with DG guarding the other team's point on D - no problems

RD2191
06-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Yeah, 40 year old soft as charmin pau will surely put us past okc and their bigs.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Yeah, 40 year old soft as charmin pau will surely put us past okc and their bigs.
Would be an upgrade over Tim and West, easily.

tonight...you
06-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Can you imagine Pau trying to square up on Adams in the PO's? Holy Sweet Mother of Gawd.

RD2191
06-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Can you imagine Pau trying to square up on Adams in the PO's? Holy Sweet Mother of Gawd.
:lol Pau might get 2 pieced like Kobe.

RD2191
06-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Would be an upgrade over Tim and West, easily.

Sure, but it doesn't really put us past OKC or the Dubs. Might be a good regular season move but that's about it.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Sure, but it doesn't really put us past OKC or the Dubs. Might be a good regular season move but that's about it.
Won't change a thing then because this roster is a pretender as it stands. Might as well have a guy that can rebound, pass, and score out there

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Pau just came off one of the best rebounding seasons of his career, possibly best. He also averaged 2.0 blocks a game, .1 below his career high. 3.5DBPM too....

72 games :tu
31.8 minutes a game :tu
All star :tu
16.5ppg, 11.0rpg, 4.1apg, 2.0bpg :tu

Pau is extremely underrated on here, don't know why. Probably "built not bought fans" (not saying you are one)

I play a lot of fantasy so I know how good his stats were (I mistakenly sold him after his excellent campaign the year before), but I am worried about how he fits defensively with LMA. They're both pretty slow, and neither is much of a banger. Who is going to take on Adams or Draymond? Also, it does nothing to address the extreme age of our frontcourt, which has become a major liability.

Still, if he's all we can land in a cap-constricted off-season, certainly better than nothing. I really like him and his play.

tbdog
06-29-2016, 09:08 PM
^ I agree. P.Gasol should not be a starter for this team, considering we switch heavily these days. But to have him play 20-30 mins here and there when Tim gets days off is a nice option. The other issues is if we keep all three of Gasol, Bobon, and Tim, we have 3 centers who can only play center and have no way of playing together. Even if TD and Gasol can effectively guard for example Adams and Kanter one on one, they would both be burnt on the pick n roll. I am fine have 2 legit centers, as all teams should have. But have 3 plus have LMA who can play effectively at center as well? We desperately need a high motor big instead, or a combo big man like Biyombo who can guard PF effectively, while able to play with any center who has range, like Gasol. Are we going to get both? No way. So what the hell are we thinking? Is Tim really retiring?

SAGirl
06-29-2016, 09:28 PM
^ I agree. P.Gasol should not be a starter for this team, considering we switch heavily these days. But to have him play 20-30 mins here and there when Tim gets days off is a nice option. The other issues is if we keep all three of Gasol, Bobon, and Tim, we have 3 centers who can only play center and have no way of playing together. Even if TD and Gasol can effectively guard for example Adams and Kanter one on one, they would both be burnt on the pick n roll. I am fine have 2 legit centers, as all teams should have. But have 3 plus have LMA who can play effectively at center as well? We desperately need a high motor big instead, or a combo big man like Biyombo who can guard PF effectively, while able to play with any center who has range, like Gasol. Are we going to get both? No way. So what the hell are we thinking? Is Tim really retiring?
I don't know. I thought he was. I wanted Milutinov in the team to develop as a PnR big, real center. Maybe he's a legit backup C option if Boban gets an insane contract offer and the Spurs pass. I didn't want both Gasol and Tim. In fact, I found it suspicious the Gasol rumor picked up steam just as Tim is still waffling... I mean the man does not waffle. I think he's retiring, he wants to play but can't, not at a level that is acceptable for himself. So, yea we don't know. If Timmy is retiring that changes things.

tbdog
06-29-2016, 09:43 PM
If Tim retires, I think I cry. I want the man to walk off for the last time in the AT&T centre, and not in Oklahoma after a belting. He deserve a standing ovation. Also, 20 years with one team, with 20 straight playoffs? Why not one more. Just one more.

tmtcsc
06-29-2016, 10:40 PM

Sure it does. We almost beat them with Tim hardly playing at all. I can't imagine Westbrook jumping over a 7 foot Gasol for a rebound like he easily did over West. OKC got on a roll at the right time. The Spurs failed to meet their intensity and the rest was history. I'm not worried about OKC. That was their last hurrah.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 10:46 PM
Sure it does. We almost beat them with Tim hardly playing at all. I can't imagine Westbrook jumping over a 7 foot Gasol for a rebound like he easily did over West. OKC got on a roll at the right time. The Spurs failed to meet their intensity and the rest was history. I'm not worried about OKC. That was their last hurrah.

Really? I think they'll win it next year. They just got even deeper, and the fire will burn in their bellies just like us in 2013 then 2014.

Given Adams' emergence (which only really happened near the end of last season), I think they're a great bet for a ring next year, especially at a ridiculous 11-1. ;)

tmtcsc
06-29-2016, 10:53 PM
The other issues is if we keep all three of Gasol, Bobon, and Tim, we have 3 centers who can only play center and have no way of playing together.

Say what? One of Pau's strengths throughout his career has been that he can play PF and C. The guys has terrific moves in the post, can score with either hand, has a nice hook shot and a nice jump shot. On occasion he can hit the 3 too. Oh yeah, and he's a hell of a passer. He had two triple doubles last season. One of the oldest guys to ever accomplish that feat.

tmtcsc
06-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Really? I think they'll win it next year. They just got even deeper, and the fire will burn in their bellies just like us in 2013 then 2014.

Given Adams' emergence (which only really happened near the end of last season), I think they're a great bet for a ring next year, especially at a ridiculous 11-1. ;)

I honestly think they had their shot and blew it. You know what Westbrook and Durant can do - they've don it consistently throughout their careers - but what about the role players? Will they be able to bring it like that every year? Adams is still limited offensively and can be neutralized. Kanter is horrific on D. Ibaka is gone and now you have to fit Oladipu in. How is that going to work out?

DeRozan m8
06-29-2016, 10:59 PM
People who talk down Gasol and act like 40 year old Duncan is better are f*cking blind, stupid f*cks lol

Time to move on a bit

T Park
06-29-2016, 11:40 PM

Let me know how surrounding Durant with four players who can't shoot an outside shot works out

DPG21920
06-29-2016, 11:44 PM
I mean, it's not ideal, but if KD says no, what more can you expect? With Tim declining and poss retiring, Pau makes sense either way to a degree as far as short-term trying to compete.

If SA can field Tim/LMA/KL/DG/TP or Pau/LMA/KL/DG/TP then have a bench of Boris/Boban (if SA can keep him)/Mills/Manu/Kyle/Bertans/LJC/Murray that would be decent (esp if Tim stays and now Pau plays on bench or Tim does).

If SA can trade any of the bench for another decent guard in addition, it's about as good as you can hope for outside of KD.

tbdog
06-30-2016, 12:35 AM
Say what? One of Pau's strengths throughout his career has been that he can play PF and C. The guys has terrific moves in the post, can score with either hand, has a nice hook shot and a nice jump shot. On occasion he can hit the 3 too. Oh yeah, and he's a hell of a passer. He had two triple doubles last season. One of the oldest guys to ever accomplish that feat.

In his prime, just like TD, Pau could play both positions. However, just like TD, Pau cannot hedge anymore, and gets burnt any any switch. Having both of them out there would kill us on the high pick n roll. It would be a disaster. Really would.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2016, 12:43 AM
Let me know how surrounding Durant with four players who can't shoot an outside shot works out

You can see for yourself when the season starts, Mr Sarcastic. :lmao

BTW, Oladipo shot 0.348 from 3 last year, which isn't great but not terrible either (ie. 0.018 better than shooting 50% on 2s!) considering the calibre of the team (lack of open looks). I bet he improves that to 0.360-0.370 next year on a much better team.

Also, tell me how you're scoring on a lineup with Westbrook, Oladipo, KD and Adams? That's some quality defensive players right there.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2016, 02:33 AM
People who talk down Gasol and act like 40 year old Duncan is better are f*cking blind, stupid f*cks lol

Time to move on a bit
These kents don't want Gasol, Durant, Howard, Wade, Conley, or Noah but want fucking Aldrich, Lin, Mahinmi, Plumlee, and Crabbe lol.

"Built not bought" fans smh

Holden_Caulfield
06-30-2016, 03:15 AM
our interior defense would get obliterated

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2016, 06:20 AM
These kents don't want Gasol, Durant, Howard, Wade, Conley, or Noah but want fucking Aldrich, Lin, Mahinmi, Plumlee, and Crabbe lol.

Um, no. What you're talking about is the difference between players who might reasonably come here that we can afford, and players who won't come here that we couldn't afford anyway.

It's a tough offseason and expecting a bounty from it is an exercise in frustration. Lower your expectations and hope for the best IMHO.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2016, 06:22 AM
If Noah's getting 18m, surely that puts Gasol around 15-20m as well? Very unlikely he gets less than 12m.

r0drig0lac
06-30-2016, 07:18 AM

Aldrich and Gordon (another dwarf, probably to play with Mills in the second unit) are the worst

BatManu20
06-30-2016, 09:52 AM
I mean, it's not ideal, but if KD says no, what more can you expect? With Tim declining and poss retiring, Pau makes sense either way to a degree as far as short-term trying to compete.

If SA can trade any of the bench for another decent guard in addition, it's about as good as you can hope for outside of KD.

Pretty much this. It's better than what we have to offer right now, particularly if Timmy hangs 'em up.

BatManu20
06-30-2016, 09:53 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmKc7yzWIAAY7k2.jpg

NASpurs
06-30-2016, 09:57 AM
:lol I'm not digging Gasol, I'm not digging Conley. Just sign guys like Lin, Aldrich, etc and call it a day.

Keepin' it real
06-30-2016, 10:22 AM

I'm not so sure. OKC benefited AMAZINGLY by two legendary performances by the "Thunderefs" in games 2 and 5. If not for those mind-numbing non-calls -- and they really were mind-numbing -- the Spurs could easily have won in 5, despite playing (by Spurs standards) horrid basketball.

south side spur
07-02-2016, 07:28 PM
http://www.ksat.com/sports/nba/spurs/follow-spurs-nba-free-agent-tracker-kevin-durant-pau-gasol

— Portland and San Antonio are believed to be the front runners to sign Pau Gasol with Minnesota in the mix, according to Jon Krawczynski with The Associated Press.
Krawczynski reported many people in the league expect the Spurs to sign Gasol, but Gasol did have a long talk with Wolves head coach Tom Thibodeau Friday night.

RD2191
07-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Gawd no. Keep this faggot away from SA.

AFBlue
07-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Biggest difference between the Spurs and those two franchises...

:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

Spurs got this.

dabom
07-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Biggest difference between the Spurs and those two franchises...

:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt:

Spurs got this.

Dude is expecting to get paid 15 mil a year.

AFBlue
07-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Dude is expecting to get paid 15 mil a year.

He's a super skilled F/C with size. Given the absolutely ridiculous contracts given out to-date, $15M a year is on par with what he should get.

tholdren
07-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Could be worse. Spurs could have got KD

dabom
07-02-2016, 08:06 PM
He's a super skilled F/C with size. Given the absolutely ridiculous contracts given out to-date, $15M a year is on par with what he should get.

He can go play for those other teams. He isn't joining the Spurs for more than 10mil a year tops.

spurs10
07-02-2016, 08:23 PM
What is the timetable for hearing about this?

AFBlue
07-02-2016, 08:25 PM
He can go play for those other teams. He isn't joining the Spurs for more than 10mil a year tops.

Disagree to agree.

dabom
07-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Disagree to agree.

The saying is backwards but I guess both ways work...

Tully365
07-02-2016, 08:46 PM
He's not the perfect piece at his age, but he'd produce more than Diaw. A one year contract would make the Spurs a better team for the immediate future.

AFBlue
07-02-2016, 09:20 PM
The saying is backwards but I guess both ways work...

Disagree to disagree.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2016, 09:37 PM
He's not the perfect piece at his age, but he'd produce more than Diaw. A one year contract would make the Spurs a better team for the immediate future.

I doubt he's going to sign a one year deal with the way teams are doling out cash in 2 to 4 year increments.

urunobili
07-02-2016, 09:38 PM
He's as done as Duncan is. Will have some games showing some flashes of his old self but he's 30% the player he once was

tmtcsc
07-02-2016, 10:15 PM
He's as done as Duncan is. Will have some games showing some flashes of his old self but he's 30% the player he once was

Did you do any sort of research before making such an idotic, uniformed statement? Seriously. He was an All-Star the last 2 seasons and averaged about 17 pts and 11 rebounds. That's 1 pt less and 1.5 rebounds more than his career averages. But no, you go ahead with your 30% of the player he once was bullshit. Damn people, get a fucking clue.

He's no longer a young player, we all get it. But if the Spurs need to replace Duncan's latter years offensive production or (if Duncan stays) bolster the roster, he's a great choice. He's tested. He's won Championships. He can play inside, outside, rebound and pass. That's a lot more than fucking Bismack Biyombo can say. IF the Spurs manage to get him, its another solid off-season. They would have selected a potential steal in the draft and added a solid vet to the team without spending foolishly.

This won't be the last of it either. There will be some nice pick ups to be had once teams start slashing rosters and going on youth movements. Don't be surprised if Tony and Boris are shipped out too.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2016, 10:23 PM

Did you do any sort of research before making such an idotic, uniformed statement? Seriously. He was an All-Star the last 2 seasons and averaged about 17 pts and 11 rebounds. That's 1 pt less and 1.5 rebounds more than his career averages. But no, you go ahead with your 30% of the player he once was bullshit. Damn people, get a fucking clue.

He's no longer a young player, we all get it. But if the Spurs need to replace Duncan's latter years offensive production or (if Duncan stays) bolster the roster, he's a great choice. He's tested. He's won Championships. He can play inside, outside, rebound and pass. That's a lot more than fucking Bismack Biyombo can say. IF the Spurs manage to get him, its another solid off-season. They would have selected a potential steal in the draft and added a solid vet to the team without spending foolishly.

This won't be the last of it either. There will be some nice pick ups to be had once teams start slashing rosters and going on youth movements. Don't be surprised if Tony and Boris are shipped out too.

He retooled some of his game which has allowed him to be so effective. He's intelligent and has aged well.. Think he would be a good fit..

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2016, 11:50 PM
16 pts, 11 boards, and 2 blocks a night sounds pretty damn good.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Spurs are going to be a very distant third out West next season, maybe even fourth.

OKC will only improve while the Spurs get older. I don't mind going after Gasol but the Spurs will need a hell of a lot more if they are serious about a title. 2016 was the biggest fool's gold team since 2011.

baseline bum
07-03-2016, 12:51 AM
If he is here it means Duncan has retired. So I don't want to see that Spaniard faggot here.

Kawhitstorm
07-03-2016, 01:18 AM
If he is here it means Duncan has retired. So I don't want to see that Spaniard faggot here.

The most ideal scenario is that Pau signs for the MLE & Tim basically gets the KG treatment until the postseason.

baseline bum
07-03-2016, 01:20 AM
The most ideal scenario is that Pau signs for the MLE & Tim basically gets the KG treatment until the postseason.

If we're talking fantasy why not have Gasol, LeBron, and Durant all split the $18.5 million the Spurs would have after salary dumping Diaw?

AFMadison
07-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Get over it guys. It's either KD or Gasol. That's 100% fact. I'm just glad we're not bringing back the same team TBH

cd021
07-03-2016, 03:03 AM
I doubt he's going to sign a one year deal with the way teams are doling out cash in 2 to 4 year increments.

I'm thinking 2 years, $25 million for Gasol but I could see him taking whatever the Spurs can scrape together for a 1 year rental. I think the Spurs could offer as much as $14 million similar to the Jeff Green deal. I think that they could fill the 3rd center spot with Milutinov in that scenario giving them a cheap big with upside to fill out the roster.

cutewizard
07-03-2016, 05:00 AM

----------------------------------------------------completely agree man!

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2016, 07:35 AM
I want Pau just to piss off Nate Jones' faggot ass, salty blazer fan :lol

Mr. Body
07-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Pau will cost way more than the MLE.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2016, 09:05 AM

$20mil. Jeff Green got 15, Mozgov 16. He shits on both.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Rare sighting!

tmtcsc
07-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Just a guess, but assuming Spurs don't get Durant, I'm thinking Manu gets 8 Mill per season, Pau gets 18 Mill per season. Both on 2 year deals. Player options for second year. Tim retires, Diaw is moved.

noles1983
07-03-2016, 02:58 PM
i don't want manu for 2 years, fuck that.

TheGreatYacht
07-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Manu, 8M/per?????

2 years???????

:lmao

Spurs9
07-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Portland offered Gasol 2 year 40 millions :bang

honestfool84
07-03-2016, 11:52 PM

MaNu4Tres
07-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Rare sighting!

Don't look at numbers.

Remember when Jefferson put up great numbers on the Bucks the year before he came to the Spurs? Most idiots were expecting a 20 point scorer coming in when his touches were obviously going to be reduced by 50% at most being the 4th option.

Expect similar contribution from Pau as RJ, average to poor defense -- limited touches on offense which will lead to limited production ( I.E 10-11 points, 8 rebounds). Having to share a lot of time with Aldridge and Kawhi, his touches will be reduced significantly and so will his rebounds. Just look at the limited touches TD got last year as a comparison.

Pau is about the best Spurs could do this off-season, but I don't expect much from him. He's not a great fit on the floor at this stage of his career.

Kawhitstorm
07-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Pau is about the best Spurs could do this off-season, but I don't expect much from him. He's not a great fit on the floor at this stage of his career.

It was either Pau or re-signing D-Worst, so I'm not going to complain if Pau ends up in a Spurs jersey since he isn't being asked to be a savior like Dick Jefferson.:lol

Pop used to bench Tim to close out games against small-ball lineups when TiaGOAT was alive & kicking so I would expect that Pau would get the same treatment. (Among the contenders, Pau's value is really only against OKC)

Unlike D-Worst, he can hold his own against giant centers:

CdTfXVncNpY

Unlike 40 yr old Tim, he can finish over Gobert:

QB56RxsBG_8

T Park
07-04-2016, 01:24 AM

But but but but he's not young!!!!! Fucking Spurs fans

T Park
07-04-2016, 01:25 AM
Spurs are going to be a very distant third out West next season, maybe even fourth.

OKC will only improve while the Spurs get older. I don't mind going after Gasol but the Spurs will need a hell of a lot more if they are serious about a title. 2016 was the biggest fool's gold team since 2011.

All ears as to the savior you're bitching they don't get

DPG21920
07-04-2016, 01:26 AM
Pau can score a lot more efficiently than Tim could from that same spot, with the same looks. The offense, as long as the guard play is not horrific, should be better than last year's (especially if DG has a good year shooting).

T Park
07-04-2016, 01:26 AM
Don't look at numbers.

Remember when Jefferson put up great numbers on the Bucks the year before he came to the Spurs? Most idiots were expecting a 20 point scorer coming in when his touches were obviously going to be reduced by 50% at most being the 4th option.

Expect similar contribution from Pau as RJ, average to poor defense -- limited touches on offense which will lead to limited production ( I.E 10-11 points, 8 rebounds). Having to share a lot of time with Aldridge and Kawhi, his touches will be reduced significantly and so will his rebounds. Just look at the limited touches TD got last year as a comparison.

God this couldn't be more wrong.

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 02:51 AM
If the Spurs had a younger Tim against the Thunder, its a whole different series. Those 5 layups Tim missed in Game 2 came back and haunted us.

Pau is better than Tim at rebounding, passing, shooting, drawing fouls, and in the post.

He also wants to be here, why else would he be waiting for KD to make his decision. Portland offered him 2 years/40M and he hasn't taken it.

Not a 'YouTube to prove my point' guy, but look how well he clicks with Butler. He'd be a great fit with Kawhi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rI8gQFVHc&feature=share

Kawhitstorm
07-04-2016, 03:03 AM
Not a 'YouTube to prove my point' guy, but look how well he clicks with Butler. He'd be a great fit with Kawhi

Pau can throw lob passes better than Tim so Kawhi would get 2 easy points a game.:toast

DeRozan m8
07-04-2016, 03:06 AM
If the Spurs had a younger Tim against the Thunder, its a whole different series. Those 5 layups Tim missed in Game 2 came back and haunted us.

Pau is better than Tim at rebounding, passing, shooting, drawing fouls, and in the post.

He also wants to be here, why else would he be waiting for KD to make his decision. Portland offered him 2 years/40M and he has taken it.

Not a 'YouTube to prove my point' guy, but look how well he clicks with Butler. He'd be a great fit with Kawhi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rI8gQFVHc&feature=share

We don't see eye to eye a bunch, but...

:bobo

cutewizard
07-04-2016, 03:06 AM
i like Pau Gasol, too

but after that, we need another wingman, and a strong back up to LMA

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 03:08 AM
Pau can throw lob passes better than Tim so Kawhi would get 2 easy points a game.:toast
Don't know if you're being sarcastic but since Pau spaces the floor, his big will get out of the paint which means Kawhi and Lamarcus can post up without being doubled by the Center. Pop would also be able to run Golden State's offense which has a lot of cuts to the basket :tu

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 03:10 AM
We don't see eye to eye a bunch, but...

:bobo
:toast

cutewizard
07-04-2016, 03:16 AM
the only thing i have against Pau is this:

IF HE JOINED US AFTER WE WON THE TITLE IN 2014, WE WOULD HAVE REPEATED!

we would have beaten the fucking Clippers!

Kawhitstorm
07-04-2016, 04:22 AM
Don't know if you're being sarcastic but since Pau spaces the floor, his big will get out of the paint which means Kawhi and Lamarcus can post up without being doubled by the Center. Pop would also be able to run Golden State's offense which has a lot of cuts to the basket :tu

This is why the Blazers offered him 20 mill per:

UJMAgO2BgGc

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 04:45 AM
This is why the Blazers offered him 20 mill per:

UJMAgO2BgGc
Sheesh, wasn't aware of this game :wow

MaNu4Tres
07-04-2016, 06:43 AM
It was either Pau or re-signing D-Worst, so I'm not going to complain if Pau ends up in a Spurs jersey since he isn't being asked to be a savior like Dick Jefferson.:lol

Pop used to bench Tim to close out games against small-ball lineups when TiaGOAT was alive & kicking so I would expect that Pau would get the same treatment. (Among the contenders, Pau's value is really only against OKC)

Unlike D-Worst, he can hold his own against giant centers:

CdTfXVncNpY

Unlike 40 yr old Tim, he can finish over Gobert:

QB56RxsBG_8

I wasn't a fan of West, so I'm glad Spurs got an upgrade. Never argued that. I like the signing -- don't love it, but I don't think fans should look at 16, 11 and 2 and expect the same numbers.

dbestpro
07-04-2016, 07:33 AM
When I look at the team last year, the greatest weakness we showed was at center when TD was not on the floor. Boban did not play. West and Diaw from a basketball perspective is a bad combination for your front court. Fix the backup center issue, ad go at it, again. This is why you go at Gasol first, and if he is that does not work, then you kick the tires on Hibbert. Hibbert should be affordable and is a player that TD has worked with. You can can even take a look at Sanders who can really rebound, is athletic, and should be available for pennies on the dollar.

cutewizard
07-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Gasol can be the point center the Spurs have been looking for years ......

cutewizard
07-04-2016, 07:59 AM
At his best, this guy's talents are off the charts, not exaggerating when we say he was the best center/forward during the declining years of Duncan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB56RxsBG_8

cutewizard
07-04-2016, 08:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUD5JjDQoZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKWFMXIIpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPmioFSqNw

Matty2Cool
07-04-2016, 08:43 AM
too old idgaf what the newbie out of towner spurs fans say

ducks
07-04-2016, 01:39 PM
it is happening

tmtcsc
07-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Is this a $ 30 Million contract per year or $ 15 Million per ?

tmtcsc
07-04-2016, 03:55 PM
It's 15 Mill per. Gasol took a paycut to come here if you believe the media.