PDA

View Full Version : Colorado's Teen Marijuana Usage Dips after Legalization

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Marijuana consumption by Colorado high school students has dipped slightly since the state first permitted recreational cannabis use by adults, a new survey showed on Monday, contrary to concerns that legalization would increase pot use by teens.

The biannual poll by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment also showed the percentage of high school students indulging in marijuana in Colorado was smaller than the national average among teens.

According to the department, 21.2 percent of Colorado high school students surveyed in 2015 had used marijuana during the preceding 30 days, down from 22 percent in 2011, the year before voters statewide approved recreational cannabis use by adults 21 and older. The first state-licensed retail outlets for legalized pot actually opened in 2014.
Nationwide, the rate of pot use by teens is slightly higher at 21.7 percent, the study found.
“The survey shows marijuana use has not increased since legalization, with four of five high school students continuing to say they don't use marijuana, even occasionally,” the department said in a statement.

The department conducts the voluntary survey every two years in conjunction with the University of Colorado and a citizens advisory committee. About 17,000 students responded to the poll.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/colorado-s-teen-marijuana-usage-dips-after-legalization/

CosmicCowboy
06-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Mom and Dad toke so it's not cool.

boutons_deux
06-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Nothing new. Holland demonstrated years ago with legalization that there's a limited %age of people who smoke, and they were probably already smoking when it illegal.

And there's Portugal

https://mic.com/articles/120403/14-years-after-decriminalizing-drugs-one-chart-shows-why-portugal-s-experiment-has-worked#.kHZHT45NX

US War on Drugs is war on blacks, browns, as always, and $Bs of make-work for law enforcement, and $Bs for PIC.

tlongII
06-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Nothing new. Holland demonstrated years ago with legalization that there's a limited %age of people who smoke, and they were probably already smoking when it illegal.

And there's Portugal

https://mic.com/articles/120403/14-years-after-decriminalizing-drugs-one-chart-shows-why-portugal-s-experiment-has-worked#.kHZHT45NX

US War on Drugs is war on blacks, browns, as always, and $Bs of make-work for law enforcement, and $Bs for PIC.

It's basically an example of excessive government.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2016, 06:26 PM

And there's Portugal

Many in the US are convinced that we are special and unlike the rest of the world. While I don't agree with that premise I still understand that not everyone thinks like I do. Your argument is obtuse.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Mom and Dad toke so it's not cool.

It also helps that dealers now card.

baseline bum
06-25-2016, 06:58 PM
I imagine dispensaries make sure you're 18. Never had a dealer check my ID though.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-25-2016, 07:30 PM
I imagine dispensaries make sure you're 18. Never had a dealer check my ID though.

Semantics? A 'dispensary' deals out pot. PErhaps I should have been specific and said legal dealers?

dbestpro
06-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Breaking the law is part of the thrill. The thrill has been minimized.

spurraider21
06-26-2016, 12:50 PM
therefore we should legalize all guns to dip gun usage

dbestpro
06-26-2016, 12:56 PM
therefore we should legalize all guns to dip gun usage

Most teens who want to rebel will do so with some weed or alcohol. Rebelling against something that is legal diminishes the appetite to do so. Gun play, whether legal or not, does not occur among most teens because even they can see the consequences are more severe.