PDA

View Full Version : Table showing Most Improved Players in 2015-16 Spurs

SAGirl
06-25-2016, 11:37 PM
http://public.tableau.com/shared/Z3W2HGNJ2?:display_count=yes

Overall the most improved player in comparison to his performance the prior season was Kyle Anderson (small sample from a rookie season in which he saw little playing time and didn't shoot it well, plus spent a good proportion of his time on the court next to "Dayres").

Kawhi Leonard had a tremendous season as well and improved dramatically in his 5th season. (He became an all star and candidate for MVP and that was a significant improvement from his prior season).

Tony Parker had a bounce back season from a terrible 2014-15.

LMA and Patty Mills had bounce back seasons from injury plagued 2014-15, plus a team change probably benefitted LMA.

Manu Ginobili, DWest and Boris Diaw were slightly better than the season before statistically. They remained pretty similar in VORP, but increased in BPM, which I would attribute to better team defense having rid ourselves of Cancernelli.

Tim Duncan had a sharp decline (ages or injury or both?)

Danny Green had a sharp decline as well (per his own words, chemistry and adjustments to the system screwed him up.)

A number of Spurs are not in this table bc they are new additions and Spurs who left the team are not in the table either.

There are many other things you can find out in the table as you can select other teams as well, in the left bottom corner. Just a very interesting chart to look at.

apalisoc_9
06-26-2016, 12:25 AM
Op is by far the most annoying player fan in this forum...something about her obssesion with anderson..its like weird.

dabom
06-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Fathead is the worst fucking player on the Spurs.

dabom
06-26-2016, 12:30 AM
He improved from super POS to POS player.

dabom
06-26-2016, 12:31 AM
Someone prove me wrong...

offset formation
06-26-2016, 01:31 AM
Op is by far the most annoying player fan in this forum...something about her obssesion with anderson..its like weird.

Go fuck your aunt. Then proceed to honorably end our suffering by performing seppuku.

Or at least shut the fuck up.

offset formation
06-26-2016, 01:32 AM

Haha. You suck at this.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 01:34 AM
That is probably you Apa and you don't annoy me... but you have a trophy for most annoying to a whole lot of visitors.
:tongue

Sean Cagney
06-26-2016, 01:43 AM
Fathead is the worst fucking player on the Spurs.

He sucks tbh.... I am not a hater of his either but dude just does not thrill me at all nor do I think he will get that much better. He is slow as shit.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-26-2016, 01:46 AM
Given enough minutes Anderson has a chance for MIP next season.

dabom
06-26-2016, 02:06 AM
He sucks tbh.... I am not a hater of his either but dude just does not thrill me at all nor do I think he will get that much better. He is slow as shit.

But you'RE a troll for pointing it out...

apalisoc_9
06-26-2016, 02:11 AM
Go fuck your aunt. Then proceed to honorably end our suffering by performing seppuku.

Or at least shut the fuck up.

This dude trying to get laid in spurstalk :lol

RD2191
06-26-2016, 02:12 AM
KA won't even be in the NBA after his rookie contract is up. The dude is just way too slow to have an impact on the floor.

DeRozan m8
06-26-2016, 02:19 AM
I just hate watching Kyle.

Pass up shot, dribble dribble with no intent, pass ball back out, repeat.

It just the worst.

Sean Cagney
06-26-2016, 02:22 AM
^^^^ Agreed with all above.

cd021
06-26-2016, 02:46 AM
Yet KA is waay ahead of Cojo in terms of development at this point in their careers. People seem to want to think that KA will be like this in two years he has shown progress, he is already a better defender than was thought of him but still needs a consistent 3pt shot.

Some players need at least four years Cojo barely looked like an NBA for the first 3

Spurtacular
06-26-2016, 02:52 AM
KA isn't the reason the Spurs were bounced. Granted, he didn't help.

TheMulletMan3000
06-26-2016, 02:55 AM
Thanks for posting.

DeRozan m8
06-26-2016, 02:58 AM
No one said he's the reason they got bounced, we are simply pointing out that he is just garbage.

DeRozan m8
06-26-2016, 03:00 AM
Surely SA Girl is Kyle...

RD2191
06-26-2016, 03:09 AM
No one said he's the reason they got bounced, we are simply pointing out that he is just garbage.

:lol

TheMulletMan3000
06-26-2016, 03:26 AM
Yet KA is waay ahead of Cojo in terms of development at this point in their careers. People seem to want to think that KA will be like this in two years he has shown progress, he is already a better defender than was thought of him but still needs a consistent 3pt shot.

Some players need at least four years Cojo barely looked like an NBA for the first 3

Agree

dabom
06-26-2016, 05:32 AM

dabom
06-26-2016, 05:33 AM
Surely SA Girl is Kyle...

Only possible way. I can't understand otherwise.

Emperor
06-26-2016, 07:19 AM
I really want Kyle to succeed but if he can't get any faster which i don't see him doing so, then it will be extremely difficult for him to remain in this league. But i wish him the best of luck in the Iranian Super League or wherever else he ends up.

sasaint
06-26-2016, 07:46 AM
http://public.tableau.com/shared/Z3W2HGNJ2?:display_count=yes

Overall the most improved player in comparison to his performance the prior season was Kyle Anderson (small sample from a rookie season in which he saw little playing time and didn't shoot it well, plus spent a good proportion of his time on the court next to "Dayres").

Kawhi Leonard had a tremendous season as well and improved dramatically in his 5th season. (He became an all star and candidate for MVP and that was a significant improvement from his prior season).

Tony Parker had a bounce back season from a terrible 2014-15.

LMA and Patty Mills had bounce back seasons from injury plagued 2014-15, plus a team change probably benefitted LMA.

Manu Ginobili, DWest and Boris Diaw were slightly better than the season before statistically. They remained pretty similar in VORP, but increased in BPM, which I would attribute to better team defense having rid ourselves of Cancernelli.

Tim Duncan had a sharp decline (ages or injury or both?)

Danny Green had a sharp decline as well (per his own words, chemistry and adjustments to the system screwed him up.)

A number of Spurs are not in this table bc they are new additions and Spurs who left the team are not in the table either.

There are many other things you can find out in the table as you can select other teams as well, in the left bottom corner. Just a very interesting chart to look at.

Interesting and a little surprising. Although we knew Danny was bad, seeing the chart demonstrating how bad he was in comparison to his teammates is eye-popping. I expect him to have a big bounce-back season, and I hope we do not trade him. On the opposite side of the coin, Kyle seemed to improve, but the graphic illustration of his improvement is surprising and very encouraging.

Reading ST, nobody would ever guess that Patty and Tony both had bounce-back seasons. Again, I think Patty, another year removed from shoulder surgery, will improve even more this season. I am not so sure about Tony...

Thanks for the posting!

tholdren
06-26-2016, 07:59 AM
kyle anderson is an ugly, frail, terrible basketball player

sasaint
06-26-2016, 08:11 AM

Pop never threw as much at Cojo as he has Kyle. Cojo played PG and SG. Pop has played Kyle at 4 positions. That's a lot to throw at a young guy. If Kyle makes similar improvement next season, he will be a big asset.

GSH
06-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Saying "most improved" in a vacuum doesn't mean much. The most improved highway intersection in SA is where 281 and 1604 cross. It still sucks. It really, really sucks. But it was so bad before that this is a big improvement.

I don't care how much KA improved this season. At the end, he wasn't able to make any significant impact on the playoff run. He scored one more point in the playoffs than Kevin Martin, and dished the same numer of assists as Andre Miller. He did manage to out-rebound fatass Diaw, but he scored 1/2 the points of Diaw, and dished 1/3 as many assists. And he shot .320 in the postseason... fucking .320. When a guy improves that much, and still doesn't contribute as much as, say, Brandon Rush? Who cares?

When I saw the thread title, and who had started it, I knew for 100% sure who was going to be the "winner". Tell you what - if KA improves to the point that he can actually be noticeably positive in the playoffs, come back and make a thread about it. Right now, reading aout Kyle Anderson's improvement just doesn't mean much of anything.

AFMadison
06-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Kinda of like your hatred for Parker. It's like he touched you somewhere.

thispego
06-26-2016, 09:48 AM

so you admit he improved?

skulls138
06-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Kawhi is most improved. KA just played alot more minutes than the year before. I hope by this time next year he actually does become most improved because we need the ideal version of KA. And I believe its possible.

bklynspursfan
06-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Saying "most improved" in a vacuum doesn't mean much. The most improved highway intersection in SA is where 281 and 1604 cross. It still sucks. It really, really sucks. But it was so bad before that this is a big improvement.

I don't care how much KA improved this season. At the end, he wasn't able to make any significant impact on the playoff run. He scored one more point in the playoffs than Kevin Martin, and dished the same numer of assists as Andre Miller. He did manage to out-rebound fatass Diaw, but he scored 1/2 the points of Diaw, and dished 1/3 as many assists. And he shot .320 in the postseason... fucking .320. When a guy improves that much, and still doesn't contribute as much as, say, Brandon Rush? Who cares?

When I saw the thread title, and who had started it, I knew for 100% sure who was going to be the "winner". Tell you what - if KA improves to the point that he can actually be noticeably positive in the playoffs, come back and make a thread about it. Right now, reading aout Kyle Anderson's improvement just doesn't mean much of anything.

These are my sentiments as well. And you can think this and not be a "Hater"

I hope he does much better for us next season for sure. I personally felt Kawhi was the most improved, considering his role and him playing meaningful minutes

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks for posting.

Interesting and a little surprising. Although we knew Danny was bad, seeing the chart demonstrating how bad he was in comparison to his teammates is eye-popping. I expect him to have a big bounce-back season, and I hope we do not trade him. On the opposite side of the coin, Kyle seemed to improve, but the graphic illustration of his improvement is surprising and very encouraging.

Reading ST, nobody would ever guess that Patty and Tony both had bounce-back seasons. Again, I think Patty, another year removed from shoulder surgery, will improve even more this season. I am not so sure about Tony...

Thanks for the posting!
No problem!
The chart is in relation to their own performance the prior season. It is not indicating that Danny was the worst player in the team for example. It just shows that in comparison to his prior season he was terrible. He was terrible basically for his own standards. We all saw it with his bad shot selection and shooting % all season.

I expect him to have a bounce back season next. It seemed at times he was definitely not playing within himself.

TheMulletMan3000
06-26-2016, 12:59 PM
No problem!
The chart is in relation to their own performance the prior season. It is not indicating that Danny was the worst player in the team for example. It just shows that in comparison to his prior season he was terrible. He was terrible basically for his own standards. We all saw it with his bad shot selection and shooting % all season.

I expect him to have a bounce back season next. It seemed at times he was definitely not playing within himself.

:tu
KL and LMA needed time to figure how to play with each other and Spurs desperately need a quality starting PG. The rest of the team will figure it out, eventually. Also, those ridiculous trade scenarios involving Danny need to stop. Guy took a pay cut to stay. Spurs would lose integrity as an organization if they traded him.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 01:06 PM

:lol you realize the table is for all spurs right and for the RS?
There's a lot of interest to see in it, including for other teams If you were so inclined to want to look at it. I shared it bc I found it interesting. Unfortunately ppl twist things in here to spin their agenda. They are the ones and you that made this about Kyle.

And you can acknowledge that the whole bench was trash, Kyle was 22, first time there, and he played so little as to not have rhythm and didn't take many shots either. He didn't shoot it well but so did many others over a small sample. You could trash probably 7 other Spurs who played in the playoffs who had more significant roles, shots and playing time. So that's cheap.

sasaint
06-26-2016, 02:23 PM
No problem!

Yes, I understand that the chart is a year-over-year comparison of each individual player - not comparative among the players. Perhaps I failed to express myself clearly. I did not realize that Danny's drop-off had been downright cataclysmic-awful, yes. Nor did I really appreciate that Kyle's improvement had been so dramatic. I do expect good things from both of them this upcoming season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that next year's chart will show dramatic improvement from Simmons. And I am somewhat disturbed by the indications that Diaw and Boban will both be back, however, maybe they will be "chart-busters" next season.

Raven
06-26-2016, 02:51 PM
unsurprising.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2016, 03:04 PM

All these same people shit on Cory Joseph until about the time he left. Then they just used his improvement and departure to shit on the next Spurs player who came along.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Yes, I understand that the chart is a year-over-year comparison of each individual player - not comparative among the players. Perhaps I failed to express myself clearly. I did not realize that Danny's drop-off had been downright cataclysmic-awful, yes. Nor did I really appreciate that Kyle's improvement had been so dramatic. I do expect good things from both of them this upcoming season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that next year's chart will show dramatic improvement from Simmons. And I am somewhat disturbed by the indications that Diaw and Boban will both be back, however, maybe they will be "chart-busters" next season.
Got it! :tu
If ppl were not trolling above ^ (not you, the kids lol) they would notice there was a lot to see in that chart.
Personally it was insightful that Boris, D west and Manu stayed basically the same from prior seasons (their VORP remained unchanged). That indicates the have at least plateaued in the current state. It would support the notion they can all keep playing in similar roles.

Timmy however declined steeply. All rumors about FA aside, I do wonder how he feels about his current state of play and health wise. The rumors earlier were the FO didn't know about his return and were inclined to believe he was retiring. For a player who had stayed remarkably consistent despite his age, specially when you stretched his production Per 36, this decline is perhaps a sign. I point it out bc it wasn't just the playoffs he struggled. He had struggled through the season too.

If anything, to me personally the brightest spot in the chart was the fact that our two most improved players were 22 and 24 yrs old this past season. Kawhi's baseline was much higher but he took his game this season to another level. Kyle had a very low baseline but he showed he's an NBA level player and improved very significantly from his first season. Considering their respective ages out team does have upside. That's the kind of thing you want to see from players that age IMO.

Hopefully next season we see improvement from other new players. I am unsure how much Boban and Simmons can improve bc due to their ages they pretty much are what they are. I think Boban is unlikely to top this past season statistically bc once he's played more minutes outside garbage time his usage will go down and the competition will be tougher. Things of that nature, but in terms of him playing, if he becomes a bench featured scorer as a regular rotation player that would be improvement.

Simmons already had a good season IMO. Pop overreacted bringing Kevin Martin when he should have just continued developing our youth. I have been on the record disliking that move and the benching of Simmons for Kmart. I think he will stay hungry and he only needs moderate improvements. I look forward to him having an even better season.

Cojo is not in the chart but he decline a little bit from his last season with us. It's probably a reflection of a new team with an amplified role. Baynes improved for the Pistons from his last Spurs year. Marco got much much worse.

TD 21
06-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Of course Anderson was the "most improved". It's hard not to be when you don't really look like an NBA player and are the worst returning player on the team. For essentially the opposite reasons, plus age/injury, of course Duncan saw the steepest decline.

We get it: You're obsessed with Anderson and don't like Duncan.

dabom
06-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Of course Anderson was the "most improved". It's hard not to be when you don't really look like an NBA player and are the worst returning player on the team. For essentially the opposite reasons, plus age/injury, of course Duncan saw the steepest decline.

We get it: You're obsessed with Anderson and don't like Duncan.

40 year old Duncan is light years ahead of Fathead. :lol

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 04:24 PM

We get it: You're obsessed with Anderson and don't like Duncan.:lol I do not hate Duncan. You are obsessed with believing I do.

dabom
06-26-2016, 04:32 PM
I can't take someone who just started watching basketball 2 years ago serious. Their assesments are some of the worst comparableto reddit. The worst trolls are the jimmers/fatheads/shitplayers trollfans. Annoying as fuck. :lol

wildbill2u
06-26-2016, 06:28 PM
The game is moving faster with small ball lineups. KA with the truest nickname ever (Slow Mo) is not a good fit for this league.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 09:21 PM
The game is moving faster with small ball lineups. KA with the truest nickname ever (Slow Mo) is not a good fit for this league.
He was already a good enough defender, rebounder and got a lot of deflections, steals etc. The hole in his game is 3 pt shooting. It is a big problem that he's been reluctant to shoot the 3.

Brazil
06-27-2016, 09:57 AM
You see the thread title then OP name you conclude, must be Kyle Anderson getting his dick suck by the weirdo

SD126
06-27-2016, 10:01 AM
So you're saying Kyle improved because a website says he did?? Um....Ok. All because the net says so.

SD126
06-27-2016, 10:02 AM
:tu
KL and LMA needed time to figure how to play with each other and Spurs desperately need a quality starting PG. The rest of the team will figure it out, eventually. Also, those ridiculous trade scenarios involving Danny need to stop. Guy took a pay cut to stay. Spurs would lose integrity as an organization if they traded him.
^^^^^ Exactly

skulls138
06-27-2016, 12:01 PM
He was already a good enough defender, rebounder and got a lot of deflections, steals etc. The hole in his game is 3 pt shooting. It is a big problem that he's been reluctant to shoot the 3.Next season should be interesting. I wonder how he will react to the OKC series. I think Pops coddled him a little bit and concentrated on his D and let him be his creative self on O. This bit him in the ass against OKC, where more discipline and fundamentals were needed than artistry. I love KAs game but he tends to play like a stoner on a playground, doing what he feels like rather than the way the b-ball manual says to do. When KD and Westbrook found their groove and Adams was pushing everybody around, KA looked like he woke up in the middle of WW3, just overwhelmed. Its all good though, welcome to the big leagues, but I wonder how he'll react now that he knows what playing against the cream of the crop is like, at the most important time.

Chinook
06-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Anderson obviously improved. I don't know why people are trying to say he did. Does that mean he was good enough? Probably not. But the fact that he went from not really playable to being a decent rotation player in one season is encouraging. The team's going to need him to take the step to be in the top seven or eight this year. You can make as many snide comments or add as many emoticons as you want. But that's not going to change the fact that unless he's traded, Kyle's going to be one of the most influential players on the team's season.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OCu7zWojqFA1W/giphy.gif

dabom
06-27-2016, 12:28 PM
You see the thread title then OP name you conclude, must be Kyle Anderson getting his dick suck by the weirdo

SAGirl
06-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Anderson obviously improved. I don't know why people are trying to say he did. Does that mean he was good enough? Probably not. But the fact that he went from not really playable to being a decent rotation player in one season is encouraging. The team's going to need him to take the step to be in the top seven or eight this year. You can make as many snide comments or add as many emoticons as you want. But that's not going to change the fact that unless he's traded, Kyle's going to be one of the most influential players on the team's season.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OCu7zWojqFA1W/giphy.gif
Indeed. Haters are going to hate. Can't do anything about that.

It was his first playoff rodeo. Ppl have unrealistic expectations holding him accountable for a series in which the bench experienced an epic collective collapse and were overwhelmed. He couldn't have saved them from that. Even LMA and Kawhi who are top players in the league struggled to keep that bench afloat. They had too many problems inside and too many guys not making shots. That wasn't on him.

It was significant he played 15 minutes in the last game though and that his minutes in the second half were at the 4 surrounded by all of our HOF veterans. I think that was a very emotional game for Timmy and Manu due to their possible retirement. Kyle got to witness first hand the pressure of a must win game playoff game on the road and compete next to them. He wouldn't have been there unless Pop believed in him. You can't teach a guy what a game like that is like except putting him in that situation. He was 2-4 in that game and the made shots weren't easy, or open spot up shots. One was a hook shot over Roberson who is a plus defender.

I agree that moving forward, he's going to have to rise to the occasion more often than this past season. Specially if we return with basically the same roster and a moderate addition (not landing a premier FA I mean). And the reason we know that is bc he was already picking up minutes for Tim and Manu when they got injured. He's still young and I doubt Pop will burden him too much all of a sudden but they will probably give him a bit more freedom that the strict leash he started this past season at and expect more.