PDA

View Full Version : Express-News: Spurs to take a look at forward Erazem Lorbek

jyra
06-26-2016, 01:26 PM

Puzzling to say the least. This is happening about three years too late. He had surgery on both knees and the last two seasons he didn't even play any professional basketball.

I think it's just the front office showing some courtesy to improve his chances of landing another contract in Europe. I would be really surprised if he suited up for the Summer League team.

Robz4000
06-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Nooooooooooo.gif

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Probably means the Spurs are planning on maxing someone out and will have no choice but to fill the roster up with veteran contracts and rookies. Don't see another reason why they're bringing all these stashes and trying them out.

I just hope the max player ain't Horford....

r0drig0lac
06-26-2016, 01:31 PM
interesting, it would have been great in 2012

turkish spurs fan
06-26-2016, 01:38 PM
what? hahahhahahahhahahha :lmao

Raven
06-26-2016, 01:40 PM
oh for fuck's sake, i literally cut the rights to sign him yesterday after five years... you have got to be kidding me.

Keepin' it real
06-26-2016, 01:48 PM
:lobt2:

DPG21920
06-26-2016, 01:49 PM
This could just be a symptom of a couple things:

1. Cap is going up and it feels like many "role players" are going to get overpaid. If you feel there is a lot of competition for role players & you will have to overpay, it makes sense to look at cheaper options to find value/depth vs giving someone who doesn't really help, a lot of money.

2. Ties into one, but if you are planning on spending a lot of money on 1 player, you may have find bargain bin players as well.

Spur|n|Austin
06-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Nooooooooooo.gif

Agreed but I mean it's just a workout..

Mugen
06-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Pau, Lorbek, Manu/Timmy....

This team is a lock for the 2012 championship. :lobt2:

stxspurs
06-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Lolol

eDizzle20
06-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Probably means the Spurs are planning on maxing someone out and will have no choice but to fill the roster up with veteran contracts and rookies. Don't see another reason why they're bringing all these stashes and trying them out.

Absolutely, agreed hopefully not Horford. It looks like they are preparing for that with the confirmed additions of Bertans, LJC, and Murray. Even the fact that Milutinov is on the SL team seems extremely odd considering he is skipping the Olympics for it. Gives me the impression that PATFO promised him a roster spot if he performed well in SL. The roster would be comprised of a veteran starting core and a rookie bench.

BillMc
06-26-2016, 02:01 PM

1. Cap is going up and it feels like many "role players" are going to get overpaid. If you feel there is a lot of competition for role players & you will have to overpay, it makes sense to look at cheaper options to find value/depth vs giving someone who doesn't really help, a lot of money.

2. Ties into one, but if you are planning on spending a lot of money on 1 player, you may have find bargain bin players as well.

This

T Park
06-26-2016, 02:03 PM

Yup. Trying to cast their net and cover a lot of supporting bases. LJC Milutinov Bertans Hanga possible. If you're shooting for Horford Durant and Conley, that's what it'll take

smaka
06-26-2016, 02:04 PM
If you ask me, he is done. Been out 2 years with injuries, nobody even knew what's up with this guy and now suddenly he shows up and goes to workout with Spurs. Strange. But I would be shocked if he comes any near to being on that roster when the season starts.

DPG21920
06-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Yup. Trying to cast their net and cover a lot of supporting bases. LJC Milutinov Bertans Hanga possible. If you're shooting for Horford Durant and Conley, that's what it'll take

For sure. Spurs want to keep competiting especially with Kawhi/LMA core (and definitely if Tim/Manu come back). Not overpaying role players also allows you flexibility in the event you whiff this year in FA.

Instead of just handing out a bunch of 6-10M deals, you get smaller deals that keep your options open.

DPG21920
06-26-2016, 02:09 PM
But with regards to this, it's just a workout like others have said. Odds of him making the team are quite small.

Chinook
06-26-2016, 02:10 PM
I think people are overthinking this. Lorbek was a very good player before he got hurt. If he's healthy now, he's worth a look. The Spurs only have so much money to spend on the rest of their roster -- Durant or no Durant. So they are making sure that they look at all of the cost-controlled players they can.

Mikeanaro
06-26-2016, 02:14 PM
This is so stupid, he is like 53 years old right now, PATFO must be really desperate.

Chinook
06-26-2016, 02:19 PM
This is so stupid, he is like 53 years old right now, PATFO must be really desperate.

He's 32, and he's a career 39-percent three-point shooter. Having a stretch-five on the bench who isn't Bonner seems like a good thing.

Chinook
06-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Or maybe he just wants to be part of the summer league? I think the Spurs would love to have him there.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2016, 02:25 PM
BS.

Might as well go after Shaq.

cd021
06-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Absolutely, agreed hopefully not Horford. It looks like they are preparing for that with the confirmed additions of Bertans, LJC, and Murray. Even the fact that Milutinov is on the SL team seems extremely odd considering he is skipping the Olympics for it. Gives me the impression that PATFO promised him a roster spot if he performed well in SL. The roster would be comprised of a veteran starting core and a rookie bench.

That was my read on Milutinov too, I heard he was in the middle of 3 year deal so I am not sure of whether that factors into him joining the Spurs now but he would make only $991,600 according to the slot he were drafted meaning that Anderson, Murray, Milutinov, Simmons, and probably Bertans and Livio would each be making less than the 10+ year Vet. min of $1.55 million. Having six young players with upside under contract for that cheap makes sense to me even if they don't have the experience that past bench cores did.

The top 9 rotation players will probably still have a boat load of experience and playoff experience to offset it. two of the less experience players with a chance to play off the bench is Anderson who is the 10th (depending on how you look at it) got plenty of playing time (almost 1400 minutes last year) Boban has international experience and logged about 620 minutes between the NBA and D-league last season (so I don't consider him to be a traditional sophomore player.)

Manu, and Mills could still be apart of the bench with either( or neither) Diaw and/or West back. I would not be all that concerned with the final five roster spots, even if they are occupied by young players.

Mnky
06-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Is he the real m.v.p. if he pushes Bonner into retirement tho?

jyra
06-26-2016, 02:51 PM
While you're at it, might as well bring in Ryan Richards, Viktor Sanikidze and Marcus Denmon (he actually put some pretty good stats in Turkey). Due dilligence and all..

Solid D
06-26-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/29040/p29040_p_v8_ad.jpg

Chinook
06-26-2016, 02:58 PM
http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/29040/p29040_p_v8_ad.jpg

Still younger than Thon Maker.

Solid D
06-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Still younger than Thon Maker.

:) Lorbek is 32 but a creaky and rusty 32.

loveforthegame
06-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Bizarre news. Spurs really are turning over every rock looking for help.

Not really what I had in mind for getting younger and more athletic.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-26-2016, 03:08 PM

La Durantula...

DJR210
06-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Cool Lloyd Christmas haircut :tu

tav1
06-26-2016, 03:14 PM
This is probably a courtesy to Lorbek, but if Spurs are in market for stretch bigs to round out rotation, I wouldn't be surprised if they flirt with Bourousis or LaLanne.

Imo, Spurs need a diver who is more fleet of foot than any of the aforementioned. I'd prefer Mulitinov, but perhaps there is roster space for 3 new bigs--LJC, a diver, and a stretch.

tholdren
06-26-2016, 03:20 PM

1/61734 aint bad.

TD 21
06-26-2016, 03:28 PM
For all of the obvious reasons, it's a no brainer to take a look at him, especially because he no longer has any leverage.

They're going to need a fifth big/fourth center option and if he's close to what he was a few years ago, he'd be a fine fit theoretically.

Should he eventually claim said spot and Duncan chooses to forego retirement, there's a good chance they don't sign a single external free agent.

tmtcsc
06-26-2016, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't make too much of this. The Spurs are probably just preparing to clean house on all these guys. Shit or get off the pot already with all the Euros.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Agree wit OP. It does seem like courtesy. A lot of players play in the summer league looking for a contract in Europe in fact. Since he hasn't played in two years, he probably needs to show he still has game even for an overseas contract.

SAGirl
06-26-2016, 03:35 PM

This is true too.
:pop: Welcome back Bonner!

TrainOfThought5
06-26-2016, 03:50 PM
BS.

Ironically... Shaq could probably still dominate the paint with these weak 5's in the league now.

GSH
06-26-2016, 04:00 PM
He's been saying that he was going to rehab and take a shot at playing for the Spurs:

Raul Barrigon: Erazem Lorbek interview w/ GiGANTESbasket: “I’ll be back better than before. If it’s possible, with the Spurs” (2 years ago)

It’s the first time Erazem Lorbek talks since he left Spain and he says he’s working out in order to play with the San Antonio Spurs. (2 years ago – via Gigantes del Basket)

It's not likely, but nothing wrong with giving him a look. He was good enough before the injuries, and I remember Grant Hill coming back after multiple surgeries, and being out of basketball, and having some good seasons. If he's not up to it, the Spurs aren't going to sign him - so I don't see what all the grief is about.

Mal
06-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Could be that vet min roster spot fill up.

poeticism707
06-26-2016, 04:18 PM
:lobt2:

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Chinook
06-26-2016, 04:20 PM
He's been saying that he was going to rehab and take a shot at playing for the Spurs:

Raul Barrigon: Erazem Lorbek interview w/ GiG (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3499)ANTESbasket: “I’ll be back better than before. If it’s possible, with the Spurs” (2 years ago)

It’s the first time Erazem Lorbek talks since he left Spain and he says he’s working out in order to play with the San Antonio Spurs. (2 years ago – via Gigantes del Basket)

It's not likely, but nothing wrong with giving him a look. He was good enough before the injuries, and I remember Grant Hill coming back after multiple surgeries, and being out of basketball, and having some good seasons. If he's not up to it, the Spurs aren't going to sign him - so I don't see what all the grief is about.

It's possible that being out the last couple of seasons could really extend his career. He got a lot of rest at a time where most players start breaking down. If he accepts a summer-league contract or even better a non-guaranteed minimum deal, that's a good thing. The team wasn't going to bring in 20 players better than Lorbek this off-season.

Das Texan
06-26-2016, 05:08 PM
0 risk move for the spurs.

i like it. see what you might have. the trade that keeps on giving.

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Agreed with everything :tu To me there's only 3 players worth a max contract, and Horford ain't one of them.

1. Durant
2. Whiteside (highly unlikely, not a guy that's over himself)
3. Conley

99 Problems
06-26-2016, 05:25 PM
BS.

I'm trying to get him on my cell now... "Hello Shaq, is that you..."

wildbill2u
06-26-2016, 06:24 PM
The Spurs are a very player friendly organization. If a guy they drafted and stashed expressed a wish to come work out for them, I doubt they'd say no. This may be a courtesy workout. In any case, unless the coaches think he is better than someone else, they arent going to sign him. So relax. Not a big deal.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2016, 05:37 AM

Yes. Spurs are showing the elite FAs that they're serious about clearing capspace.

That was my read on Milutinov too, I heard he was in the middle of 3 year deal so I am not sure of whether that factors into him joining the Spurs now but he would make only $991,600 according to the slot he were drafted meaning that Anderson, Murray, Milutinov, Simmons, and probably Bertans and Livio would each be making less than the 10+ year Vet. min of $1.55 million. Having six young players with upside under contract for that cheap makes sense to me even if they don't have the experience that past bench cores did.

The top 9 rotation players will probably still have a boat load of experience and playoff experience to offset it. two of the less experience players with a chance to play off the bench is Anderson who is the 10th (depending on how you look at it) got plenty of playing time (almost 1400 minutes last year) Boban has international experience and logged about 620 minutes between the NBA and D-league last season (so I don't consider him to be a traditional sophomore player.)

Manu, and Mills could still be apart of the bench with either( or neither) Diaw and/or West back. I would not be all that concerned with the final five roster spots, even if they are occupied by young players.

Good post.

spurtech09
06-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Horford on the Spurs would be awesome....

SpurPadre
06-27-2016, 09:34 PM
He's 32, and he's a career 39-percent three-point shooter. Having a stretch-five on the bench who isn't Bonner seems like a good thing.

Bingo.

99 Problems
06-28-2016, 01:13 AM
Sounds like RC is making a lot of room for a big F/A. Something is cooking. So much euro stash movement in 1 off season. It may or may not be KD but they see a solution and are aligning the cards for it.

cutewizard
06-28-2016, 01:53 AM
Can only be KD.............

may it be, may Durant arrive at the shores of the Spurs universe:

let's wish for it with this spell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4MmAK8

99 Problems
06-28-2016, 03:13 AM
I noticed Team USA being displayed somewhere today, that might be where the interview takes place??

venitian navigator
06-28-2016, 04:37 AM
Spurs are gonna in the off season with some choice to make...about who's gonna fil the spots.
I'm of the idea that our three player option guys (West, Manu and Tim) could all three sign for the minimum...in case of a big free agent signing (Durant is the obvious call).
Considering this, for having the necessary cap space there are only three ways:

a) trading Parker for anything that does not mean salary (ex. 2017 till 2025 draft choices)(not probable...he's one of the old big three);
b) trade Green for anything see above (possible but hurting...less hurting in case of a Durant signing 'cause kd can play the wings and big guard role);
c) trade Mills + Diaw for anything see above (more probable

That said, considering that at least five places will be taken from "costing players" (Leonard, Alridge, Green, Parker and the new one hoping Durant) ore in case a) or b) six players (coming Diaw + Mills instead of one of Green and Parker), Spurs have to fill 9 to ten spots...

and then, probably, they have the chance to do that from lots of minimum players with great value (Duncan, Gino, West in case one, two or all of them returns...like imho is more than probable), or very good value at least (Lorbek if he's considered valuable after his coming back, Simmons, probably Bertans and Hanga, plus possibly Lalanne and Ndoye) and from lots of draft choices with little money to give them because of their high draft number (LJC, Milutinov, Murray).

These will all gonna be money not touching the cap (minimum contracts) or, in case of the draft choices, touching it in a very limited way...the only exception being Marjanovic whose contract, however, will be, in any case, limited for the money...

all this just for saying that our F.O. and trainers will have a lot of work to do this summer for evaluating and signing the right players...because we're gonna be plenty of options.

Obviously, the main focus goes to free agency...all starts with the big free agent that, seeing the moves we've made till now, we're probably gonna covet...