PDA

View Full Version : More Republican policy failures

RandomGuy
06-28-2016, 11:59 AM
oGHWghMfbEU

Cutting mental health budgets to shrink government... is fucktarded, and expensive.

Why do Republicans like Rick Scott favor cutting mental health budgets at the same time they gut gun control laws?

boutons_deux
06-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Why do Republicans like Rick Scott favor cutting mental health budgets at the same time they gut gun control laws?

.... because they're Repugs, ideological cretins, protecting their big donors and fucking everybody else.

rmt
06-28-2016, 06:46 PM
boutons, you don't think Rick Scott's bill for school choice will help education?

boutons_deux
06-28-2016, 06:53 PM
boutons, you don't think Rick Scott's bill for school choice will help education?

For-profit charter school bullshit is a total scam. Teachers are paid less, have less teacher training, quality, etc, etc. scam scam scam. Kids don't make any better grades, college entrance, and many do worse than public school students. "school choice" is a scam, a VRWC strategy to destroy public schools, destroy teachers unions, and pocket public school budgets.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2016, 07:04 PM
For-profit charter school bullshit is a total scam. Teachers are paid less, have less teacher training, quality, etc, etc. scam scam scam. Kids don't make any better grades, college entrance, and many do worse than public school students. "school choice" is a scam, a VRWC strategy to destroy public schools, destroy teachers unions, and pocket public school budgets.

the data says you are full of shit as usual. Statistically charter schools have higher graduation rates and higher SAT scores. This is irrefutable.

That being said, it doesn't mean the schools are better. It may be they just have more motivated students with more motivated parents.

boutons_deux
06-28-2016, 07:06 PM
the data says you are full of shit as usual. Statistically charter schools have higher graduation rates and higher SAT scores. This is irrefutable.

That being said, it doesn't mean the schools are better. It may be they just have more motivated students with more motivated parents.

I specified FOR-PROFIT charter schools. No better than, and often worse than, and often going bankrupt, than public schools.

rmt
06-28-2016, 08:28 PM

This law is for public schools (non-private, non-charter and non-magnet which already have their lottery systems). You know I disagree with your charter school stuff - I've given lots of anecdotes and there wouldn't be waiting lists for these schools. The law also allows for sheer convenience - say a parent works in a bordering county or far away from home, kids can go to schools close to parents. As long as the school has space (of course, neighbor kids have preference), you can transfer in. The bad schools will lose enrollment and be forced to shape up. IMO, the bolded is responsible for a lot of what's wrong with public education - no choice (can't leave neighborhood schools), can't get rid of bad teachers and way too much of the budget going to teachers' healthcare and pensions instead of kids' education.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-28-2016, 08:38 PM
This law is for public schools (non-private, non-charter and non-magnet which already have their lottery systems). You know I disagree with your charter school stuff - I've given lots of anecdotes and there wouldn't be waiting lists for these schools. The law also allows for sheer convenience - say a parent works in a bordering county or far away from home, kids can go to schools close to parents. As long as the school has space (of course, neighbor kids have preference), you can transfer in. The bad schools will lose enrollment and be forced to shape up. IMO, the bolded is responsible for a lot of what's wrong with public education - no choice (can't leave neighborhood schools), can't get rid of bad teachers and way too much of the budget going to teachers' healthcare and pensions instead of kids' education.

Anecdotes are not vaild argument. Confirmation bias is what it is.

rmt
06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Anecdotes are not vaild argument. Confirmation bias is what it is.

I'd be willing to bet money that the data supports charter schools scoring higher, better attendance, etc than local public schools. The fact that parents have to seek and fill out an extra application and donate x amount of volunteer hours practically guarantee it. More involved parents, extra free labor and/or funds (you can pay if you don't want to do the hours) and the charter schools' ability to run it as a business - meaning fire bad teachers, etc. are even more reasons for better student performance. If anyone wants to do a friendly bet and cares to research, I'm all for it.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-29-2016, 01:15 AM
I'd be willing to bet money that the data supports charter schools scoring higher, better attendance, etc than local public schools. The fact that parents have to seek and fill out an extra application and donate x amount of volunteer hours practically guarantee it. More involved parents, extra free labor and/or funds (you can pay if you don't want to do the hours) and the charter schools' ability to run it as a business - meaning fire bad teachers, etc. are even more reasons for better student performance. If anyone wants to do a friendly bet and cares to research, I'm all for it.

Bets are not a valid argument