PDA

View Full Version : Lowe: Spurs have extended a qualifying offer to Boban Marjanovic

NASpurs
06-28-2016, 06:53 PM

MaNu4Tres
Expected. Cap hold of 1.5 will count towards cap once FA starts and Spurs will be able to match any offer.

raybies
Yup, not gonna just let him walk.

BatManu20
06-28-2016, 06:57 PM
As expected. He's not going anywhere.

DPG21920
06-28-2016, 07:16 PM
No biggie - small cap hold to give SA upper hand on his future. Also, if they needed that 1.5M for some reason, they could rescind the QO and free that space up.

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Old boy can hit a midrange jumper. Hit his freebies. Physically dominates when he gets the ball 5 feet in.
Not good on D, but alters shots with his presence alone against non-elites.

If he can find a rhythm with rebounding to a very good level... he could be something.
I just don't think he has the internal quickness to do it, but he can be serviceable against some.

I mean, the guy dominated Whiteside everytime the looked at each other to the point Whiteside didn't even try anymore against him. That has to count for something.

Kikoluna
06-28-2016, 07:21 PM
What does qualifying offer mean

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 07:22 PM
What does qualifying offer mean
What do voluntary mean?

Kikoluna
06-28-2016, 07:24 PM
What do voluntary mean?

Does not make sense. Why do you day do instead of does?

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Does not make sense. Why do you day do instead of does?
I do day dow dif dou dalways dry do demark de.
Dah?

Kikoluna
06-28-2016, 07:30 PM
I do day dow dif dou dalways dry do demark de.
Dah?

Sure:bobo

Dex
06-28-2016, 07:32 PM
He obviously has his limitations, but there are also elements to his game that are simply unmatchable. Guys that sized and skilled don't just grow on trees.

Even if he ends up being nothing more than a regular season force and locker room guy, he is still worth a reasonable contract. Gotta win a lot of games just to get a ticket to the big dance.

BRING BOBAN HOME!!!!

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Sure:bobo
I always knew you were my kind of peeps.
We gots dis understanding now, yes? You speakie teh aboriginal?

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Better than Whiteside and Jahlil Okafor tbh.

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Definitely better than Jahlil. And he dominates Whiteside... damn, you may be right this time!

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Definitely better than Jahlil. And he dominates Whiteside... damn, you may be right this time!
I'm always right, tbh.

coachmac87
06-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Starting caliber player tbh

Kikoluna
06-28-2016, 07:58 PM
I always knew you were my kind of peeps.
We gots dis understanding now, yes? You speakie teh aboriginal?
I have no idea what you're saying my man :bobo

AFBlue
06-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Good move. The guy made serious strides and showed promise in his first year. He hit the rookie wall and has some limitations, but he seems like an excellent piece to this roster going forward. I hope the Spurs aren't put in a position to say goodbye to Boban.

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 08:53 PM
I have no idea what you're saying my man :bobo
It's generally better that way bud. Just roll with it.

tonight...you
06-28-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm always right, tbh.
No, but I get peeps with no self esteem saying that.
You just keep being you. I ain't got no problems with that.

Keepin' it real
06-28-2016, 10:02 PM
This sends a strong signal: Boban, come playoff time, you belong on my bench and no one else's.
:pop:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-28-2016, 10:09 PM
I like Boban as a backup C - his sheer physical presence changes the game, and he has great hands. I think we'll see him causing havoc rolling to the rim against second units next year.

dabom
06-28-2016, 11:03 PM

cjw
06-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Somewhat related in terms of the bigs rotation - Mark Stein says Spurs are leaning towards holding onto Diaw:

https://twitter.com/espnsteinline/status/748004712528613376

dabom
06-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Diaw was always better than West.

BackHome
06-29-2016, 11:06 AM
West only played one season with the Spurs we all know the learning curve is at least a year. Diaw is better but his work ethic sucks he is a fat boy who just want to collect a check

GSH
06-29-2016, 12:30 PM
I like Boban as a backup C - his sheer physical presence changes the game, and he has great hands. I think we'll see him causing havoc rolling to the rim against second units next year.

If the Spurs can teach Boban how to run the PnR at an acceptable level, and maybe design a couple of plays for him, the Spurs bench is going to cut a bloody swath through opposing benches.

I was really surprised at his lack of understanding on both ends of the floor, to be honest. He's obviously a beast when he gets the ball in the low blocks. But he spent a lot of his time on offense out in no-man's land, looking for someone to set a pick on. He would stop and clasp his hands over his balls, like he was about to take contact, but there was nobody there to screen. So basically he was just a great big fucking pylon on a lot of plays. It wasn't hard for other teams to figure out to work him over when he did get around the basket, and to hawk the incoming passes to a stationary target.

I think he's already too old for them to turn him into a first-tier NBA center. There's just too much he obviously doesn't know. But I'm still hopeful that they can bring him to the level of a damn good backup. He's got a good, soft shooting touch and he makes his FT's pretty well for a huge guy. I'm sure the Spurs recognize his potential enough to invest a lot of time on him this offseason. I hope so, anyway.

tonight...you
06-29-2016, 12:35 PM
If the Spurs can teach Boban how to run the PnR at an acceptable level, and maybe design a couple of plays for him, the Spurs bench is going to cut a bloody swath through opposing benches.

I was really surprised at his lack of understanding on both ends of the floor, to be honest. He's obviously a beast when he gets the ball in the low blocks. But he spent a lot of his time on offense out in no-man's land, looking for someone to set a pick on. He would stop and clasp his hands over his balls, like he was about to take contact, but there was nobody there to screen. So basically he was just a great big fucking pylon on a lot of plays. It wasn't hard for other teams to figure out to work him over when he did get around the basket, and to hawk the incoming passes to a stationary target.

I think he's already too old for them to turn him into a first-tier NBA center. There's just too much he obviously doesn't know. But I'm still hopeful that they can bring him to the level of a damn good backup. He's got a good, soft shooting touch and he makes his FT's pretty well for a huge guy. I'm sure the Spurs recognize his potential enough to invest a lot of time on him this offseason. I hope so, anyway.
Totally agree, but it sure looked to me as the season was coming to a close, he was displaying better recognition of where to be and was even setting a few effective screens.
Shoot- he even started to actually hold the ball over his head, which was a big problem for him for much of the season.
My main issue with him is his achingly slow reaction time, especially when it comes to rebounding. I don't know if that's just him, or, once again, he just needs time on the court to gain those instincts to stop thinking and just move.

Spurs9
06-29-2016, 12:36 PM
:cry

tmtcsc
06-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Boban is fun to watch but I don't believe he should be seen as any sort of significant piece to the success of the team. He has way too many limitations to his game right now. If some other team wants to over-pay him, let him go. The Spurs have other pressing needs to address.

My wish list would include getting Allen Crabbe and Jeremy Lin to go along with Pau Gasol. If they can make the necessary moves to get this done, I would be thrilled. I consider everyone but LMA and KL a movable asset.

cjw
06-29-2016, 02:09 PM
My wish list would include getting Allen Crabbe and Jeremy Lin to go along with Pau Gasol. If they can make the necessary moves to get this done, I would be thrilled. I consider everyone but LMA and KL a movable asset.

Two of those three and I'd be ecstatic but think they'll only have money for one.

Crabbe's a 40% shooter from deep, is a decent defender and is only 24. Only a possibility because he was the first pick in Rd 2 instead of end of Rd 1. He's due for more than Danny Green money.

Lin is a turnover machine, but gets to the hoop and is a good enough shooter - not good, but good enough to not be a total negative.

Spurtacular
06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
As expected. He's not going anywhere.

Maybe if Pop would've played him against the Thunder, we would've rang.

SAGirl
06-29-2016, 03:25 PM

You have a good grasp for where he's at. I think he does have bad habits that are really hard to clean, like bringing the ball down allowing guys to swipe at it and get it from him. He also still falls for fakes and jumps into guys instead of just keeping his hands straight up when contesting shots. Those are just bad habits. Because he's older one wonders if he can clean those things up. Small things like that are the difference between just being ok or being a flat out stud. How good he can be is tied to small details like that.

Concerning screen setting, part of it was him being so careful not to bump guys. He did seem like he was dancing in space, not really setting a screen on anybody. At other times it was guards just flat out being impatient not waiting for him to set a proper screen before going around it, or not having good communication on where they wanted a pick set, so it seemed like Boban didn't really free up anyone. Finally its possible Boban didn't know sets very well and was out of position or timing on his screen setting. You are right that there was definitely an element of still being a little lost out there.

I think he will be better at these things, at least the ones that required familiarity with guards tendencies, sets and timing.

AFBlue
06-29-2016, 03:51 PM
I think some on here are completely under rating Boban as a piece of the future. He had a relatively successful first year with the team and should only improve as he gains better understanding of the schemes in year two. I guess some forget that the second year is really the tell-tale sign of whether a player will have success in the system.

Yes I know he has limitations due to his size, but that size also presents opportunity as a mismatch if used correctly. I may be wrong, but I think the Spurs should and will do what's needed to keep him in the fold.

Caveat: Unless they get Durant. Then all bets are off.

Chinook
06-29-2016, 04:05 PM
I think some on here are completely under rating Boban as a piece of the future. He had a relatively successful first year with the team and should only improve as he gains better understanding of the schemes in year two. I guess some forget that the second year is really the tell-tale sign of whether a player will have success in the system.

Yes I know he has limitations due to his size, but that size also presents opportunity as a mismatch if used correctly. I may be wrong, but I think the Spurs should and will do what's needed to keep him in the fold.

Caveat: Unless they get Durant. Then all bets are off.

They have a limit, I'd imagine. I don't think they want to be tied to a $20-Million third season like they could be if he gets Asik'd.

cd021
06-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Diaw was always better than West.

Except for last season when West outplayed Diaw while making a fraction of the money.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2016, 02:19 AM
Telling y'all. Pop doesn't know what he has in Boban..... He's a fucking beast and better than Whiteside.

:cry but he brings the ball down next to the rim :cry
:cry but he's a poor defender and a liability :cry
:cry Just describing tall stiffs, don't watch games :cry

SpursFan86
06-30-2016, 07:07 AM
Telling y'all. Pop doesn't know what he has in Boban..... He's a fucking beast and better than Whiteside.

I mean I like Boban too, but you're looking at numbers completely void of any context. Boban didn't even play 10 mpg, and the vast majority of his minutes came in garbage time against other teams' worst players. You can't just blindly look at numbers and start claiming he's better than other guys on that list :lol

That being said, I do think Boban is legit (not better than Whiteside, but he could be one of the best backup bigs in the league). Hopefully some other team doesn't throw some ridiculous offer at him.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2016, 07:41 AM
I mean I like Boban too, but you're looking at numbers completely void of any context. Boban didn't even play 10 mpg, and the vast majority of his minutes came in garbage time against other teams' worst players. You can't just blindly look at numbers and start claiming he's better than other guys on that list :lol

That being said, I do think Boban is legit (not better than Whiteside, but he could be one of the best backup bigs in the league). Hopefully some other team doesn't throw some ridiculous offer at him.
He owned Whiteside both times they met :lol even got elbowed by him which ended up being a Flagrant 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sTHddC6Cc&feature=share
19 points, 4 rebounds, 9-12 shooting in 13 minutes matched up against Whiteside who was also in the second unit that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSrazvLK62I&feature=share

With the small amount of minutes he got this season, he couldn't have produced more than what he did. He's a stat stuffer. Based on last year alone, he deserves at least what Walrus Diaw is making right now tbh.

NASpurs
06-30-2016, 08:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16623391/in-addition-big-ticket-contracts-nba-teams-the-lookout-next-big-bargain

Boban Marjanovic: Are you ready for a world in which a guy who played 75 percent of minutes in garbage time might sign a one-year, $8 million deal? You'd better be because Boban is coming to take your money, stomp on your city's tallest buildings and drip soft, righty hooks over defenders sniffing his armpits.

Seriously: Boban is skilled and massive, and he made guys such as Hassan Whiteside and DeMarcus Cousins look like fifth-graders guarding Billy Madison. He was probably San Antonio's best hard-roller after they dumped Tiago Splitter -- a gap that worried GM R.C. Buford before the season -- and he can pick-and-roll himself into fatal post-up position underneath the rim.

He drew nearly eight free throws per 36 minutes, and he can actually hit free throws. He shot an even 50 percent on post-ups, one of the best marks in the league, and he got to the line on nearly 20 percent of his post-up tries, 12th among 109 players who finished at least 50 such plays, per Synergy Sports. He would have led the league in offensive rebounding rate had he played enough minutes to qualify. He's a canny passer who clowns fools with snappy fakes. Ask Jahlil Okafor, and kindly ignore the happy feet.

He's surprisingly nimble on defense, provided he doesn't have to venture above the foul line. When pick-and-roll ball-handlers enter the Boban zone, they find a giant human, arms spread so wide that he blocks all passing lines while remaining a threat to vacuum up any floater. If ball-handlers scoot by him, Marjanovic uses his long arms to whack at the ball from behind.

Alas, life forces all of us out of our comfort zones, and teams with extra shooting can torture the big fella. Point guards who launch triples off the bounce are his kryptonite, since he has to lurch out an extra few steps to corral them.

A breakdown anywhere, by any of his teammates, sends the game into a sort of drive-and-kick frenzy that unfolds too quickly for Marjanovic. Opponents shot 62.5 percent on shots at the rim when he was nearby, a hideous number for a big man, in part because offenses attack the rim after they've busted a defense -- the sort of jailbreak Marjanovic isn't fast enough to snuff. He can be a weapon if the walls hold. He can't repair damage.

Meet the wrong small-ball team in the playoffs, and you might have to nail Marjanovic to the bench. But those are rare opponents. Big fellas can sustain in most matchups, especially if you pair them with skilled perimeter defenders who allow them to hang back.

Marjanovic isn't a mascot. He's a skilled player worth a look as a third big, and some team might pay a lot to investigate. The Spurs extended Marjanovic a qualifying offer this week, which means that for now, Marjanovic is subject to the so-called Gilbert Arenas rule for restricted free agents with only one or two years in the league; suitors can offer him only $5.6 million in the first year of any deal. If San Antonio needs cap space, it could rescind that offer and let Marjanovic into unrestricted free agency. Alert your cities.

SpursFan86
06-30-2016, 08:11 AM
He owned Whiteside both times they met :lol even got elbowed by him which ended up being a Flagrant 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sTHddC6Cc&feature=share
19 points, 4 rebounds, 9-12 shooting in 13 minutes matched up against Whiteside who was also in the second unit that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSrazvLK62I&feature=share

With the small amount of minutes he got this season, he couldn't have produced more than what he did. He's a stat stuffer. Based on last year alone, he deserves at least what Walrus Diaw is making right now tbh.

Besting someone in an individual matchup twice doesn't mean he's a better player :lol

I agree that he could certainly deserve $7-8 million. Just think it's a bit dumb to use his stats from last year to try saying he's better than other top centers in the league. Whiteside is a bit overrated, but are you seriously telling me if you could get both of them on identical contracts, you'd pick Boban instead? Sorry, that's just ridiculous to me.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Besting someone in an individual matchup twice doesn't mean he's a better player :lol

I agree that he could certainly deserve $7-8 million. Just think it's a bit dumb to use his stats from last year to try saying he's better than other top centers in the league. Whiteside is a bit overrated, but are you seriously telling me if you could get both of them on identical contracts, you'd pick Boban instead? Sorry, that's just ridiculous to me.
Your hypothetical doesn't make sense because Boban wouldn't sniff anywhere near the money Whiteside is about to get, that's why I'd rather re-sign Boban because he's cheaper. Boban also isn't a head case cancer that doesn't know his role like Whiteside, tbh. Before you bring up how bad he is defending the P&R just know that Hassan is too.

Hopefully he stays. From what we've seen he loves it here and he'd stay if the money is close.

buttsR4rebounding
06-30-2016, 09:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16623391/in-addition-big-ticket-contracts-nba-teams-the-lookout-next-big-bargain

Marjanovic is subject to the so-called Gilbert Arenas rule for restricted free agents with only one or two years in the league; suitors can offer him only $5.6 million in the first year of any deal. If San Antonio needs cap space, it could rescind that offer and let Marjanovic into unrestricted free agency. Alert your cities.

Is that true? The most Boban can get offered for the 1st year of a deal is $5.6 million? If Boban can play 15 minutes a game as a 4th big that could be a real steal.

Chinook
06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Is that true? The most Boban can get offered for the 1st year of a deal is $5.6 million? If Boban can play 15 minutes a game as a 4th big that could be a real steal.

For the first two seasons, he can't make more than the MLE on an offer sheet. For the third and fourth years, however, he can make up to the 2016 max. We're looking at a team being able to offer around $58M/4

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Based on last year alone, he deserves at least what Walrus Diaw is making right now tbh.

I laughed.

AFBlue
06-30-2016, 11:38 AM
For the first two seasons, he can't make more than the MLE on an offer sheet. For the third and fourth years, however, he can make up to the 2016 max. We're looking at a team being able to offer around $58M/4

Bargain tbh

AFBlue
06-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Obviously with all the talk around other international bigs they're getting prepared to lose him though. If that happens, I'm not gonna lie there might be some tears shed.

urunobili
06-30-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm always right, tbh.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/media/motion/2016/0531/Hu_160531_deportes_fut_copa_america_mexico_osorio_ previa_chile/Hu_160531_deportes_fut_copa_america_mexico_osorio_ previa_chile.jpg&w=576&h=324

tholdren
06-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Except for last season when West outplayed Diaw while making a fraction of the money.
Then the playoffs came and west's contract was unbelievably high.

rastaspur
06-30-2016, 02:02 PM
If someone offers him 4 years at 10 million plus a year you let him walk imo

cd021
06-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Then the playoffs came and west's contract was unbelievably high.

Actually based on advanced metrics he was basically average. his P.E.R. was 14.3 (slightly below league average) but had a Net Rtg of +4 and his win shares per 48 where slightly above league average.

People think he was a disaster, couldn't be further from the truth. For the money has was terrific.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Actually based on advanced metrics he was basically average. his P.E.R. was 14.3 (slightly below league average) but had a Net Rtg of +4 and his win shares per 48 where slightly above league average.

People think he was a disaster, couldn't be further from the truth. For the money has was terrific.

The perception of his poor play was exacerbated by his increased role, tbh..

He's an ideal #4 big, he played mostly against opposing bench units during the season, which was a solid role for him(he excelled, as you said)..

He was horrendous vs. OKC(43.6 TS%, 2nd worst adjusted on/off numbers), but that was mostly due to the matchup, in addition to becoming the #2 big after Duncan and Diaw were completely ineffective..

I. Hustle
06-30-2016, 03:08 PM

Yeah. You guys give Boban WAY too much credit. Of course dude is a fan fave. He is awesome... in spurts. I really hope the Spurs don't offer him a long term deal. Two MAYBE three more years and he will be done. I like the guy but his body won't be able to take it. He's a fun novelty item but, unless they get rid of the 3 second rule, he is kind of slow and it looks painful to watch him try to move "quickly"

jermaine
06-30-2016, 04:11 PM
He's only as good as Pop will allow him to be

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Pay him whatever a meaningful 3-10 minutes per game commands. As a situational role player he's awesome.

dabom
06-30-2016, 04:37 PM
Pay him whatever a meaningful 3-10 minutes per game commands. As a situational role player he's awesome.

The thing is he can play more with any other team. That doesn't mean he is less valuable because the Spurs only decide to play him less.

Dex
06-30-2016, 04:42 PM
Assuming the Spurs miss out on a big name like KD....I think you gotta throw a little money at a gamble like Boban.

Some people point to his small sample size and garbage-time level of competition as skewing his stats, but the truth is...we don't really know what his true potential is. And we won't until he is given a chance to contribute for significant minutes, which will likely come next season.

Even if he plays at only 75% of the level he showed in short stints last season, he would still be one of the best bigs coming off the bench if he could do that for 15-20 minutes a game.

He did about as much as a player can do playing janitor last season, and I'd really like to see what he can do as a standard rotation kind of guy.

TD 21
06-30-2016, 05:33 PM
West having a good regular season is irrelevant. What is relevant, is the fact that he's a poor fit. He can't space to three, isn't a roller, rim protector or plus rebounder. In other words, he doesn't check a single box.

And forget about him as a fifth big, too: Should he forego retirement, he's not returning to play that limited a role.

MaNu4Tres
06-30-2016, 05:55 PM
The perception of his poor play was exacerbated by his increased role, tbh..

He's an ideal #4 big, he played mostly against opposing bench units during the season, which was a solid role for him(he excelled, as you said)..

He was horrendous vs. OKC(43.6 TS%, 2nd worst adjusted on/off numbers), but that was mostly due to the matchup, in addition to becoming the #2 big after Duncan and Diaw were completely ineffective..

He hardly played vs. OKC -- he played 28 minutes in 6 games. Not enough to really assess his value on the court vs. OKC.

dabom
06-30-2016, 05:58 PM
He hardly played vs. OKC -- he played 28 minutes in 6 games. Not enough to really assess his value on the court vs. OKC.

Exactly. Sample size was too tiny. The whole regular season showed he is a good rotation player.

MaNu4Tres
06-30-2016, 06:01 PM
West having a good regular season is irrelevant. What is relevant, is the fact that he's a poor fit. He can't space to three, isn't a roller, rim protector or plus rebounder. In other words, he doesn't check a single box.

And forget about him as a fifth big, too: Should he forego retirement, he's not returning to play that limited a role.

I hope SA takes out the PnPop long 2 options for bigs outside of LA. It really hurts the offense more than people realize -- it takes away all weakside action/open 3's. The good teams will repeatedly give the Spurs the long open 2 and take away easy shots in lane/open 3's. West couldn't have fit in worse when it mattered. He couldn't defend, couldn't rebound in traffic, hell he couldn't box out with his bullshit face to face boxing out attempts, he couldn't create his own offense, he couldn't even hit the long 2's teams were giving the Spurs out of the Pick N Pop, his pick and pop attempts took away any potential wide open weak-side 3's, took away any weakside back door cuts. The long 2 pick and pop is the absolute worst offense you can draw up since it essentially takes away the most valuable shots in basketball.

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2016, 06:58 PM
I hope SA takes out the PnPop long 2 options for bigs outside of LA. It really hurts the offense more than people realize -- it takes away all weakside action/open 3's. The good teams will repeatedly give the Spurs the long open 2 and take away easy shots in lane/open 3's. West couldn't have fit in worse when it mattered. He couldn't defend, couldn't rebound in traffic, hell he couldn't box out with his bullshit face to face boxing out attempts, he couldn't create his own offense, he couldn't even hit the long 2's teams were giving the Spurs out of the Pick N Pop, his pick and pop attempts took away any potential wide open weak-side 3's, took away any weakside back door cuts. The long 2 pick and pop is the absolute worst offense you can draw up since it essentially takes away the most valuable shots in basketball.

Depends on personnel next year.. The Spurs could have more 3 point shooters available to stretch the floor to allow for better pick and pop situations.. A lot of those shitty pick n pop plays are because of penetration too so it goes back to Parker, Mills, or whoever getting off their guy enough to create that window.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2016, 12:05 AM

Seeing that the pnp big jumper is by definition strongside how does it hurt weak side action? The rotation still has to come from a weakside defender. Duncan was shooting it for the past several years with his elbow jumper already. LMA improved off that.

The main reason why the offense stagnated is because Kawhi is a below average distributor off of pnr and penetration in general. I'm not worried about it because he works his butt off and was already improving during the season but he still has a way to go. It also didn't help that Verde was shooting like shit for most of the season either.

PublicOption
07-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Maybe the play him...now.

hsxvvd
07-01-2016, 01:49 AM
We lucky he's capped at $5.6m next year or given Mosgov's contract... he'd be pushing $15-20mil

szkorhetz
07-01-2016, 01:55 AM
We lucky he's capped at $5.6m next year or given Mosgov's contract... he'd be pushing $15-20mil
Mozgov is better and easier to utilize against most teams than Boban.

SAGirl
07-01-2016, 04:32 AM
I hope we can retain Boban. I think he's legit as a bench big option and I would much rather have him than D west if it comes to that.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Seeing that the pnp big jumper is by definition strongside how does it hurt weak side action? The rotation still has to come from a weakside defender. Duncan was shooting it for the past several years with his elbow jumper already. LMA improved off that.

The main reason why the offense stagnated is because Kawhi is a below average distributor off of pnr and penetration in general. I'm not worried about it because he works his butt off and was already improving during the season but he still has a way to go. It also didn't help that Verde was shooting like shit for most of the season either.

Here's why Verde had a rough season, why Spurs had a tougher time manufacturing the most efficient shots in basketball, and why long 2 pick and pop play hurts weakside action and weakside open 3PA.

Good teams don't rotate to the Pick N pop long 2.

The weakside defenders stay at home on their man, while the defensive big involved in the pick and roll is concentrated on helping prevent the guard/wing from penetrating in the lane -- giving up the long 2. That hurts open 3 point attempts on the weakside and any action towards the basket from the weakside because the defensive player out on the wing pays more attention to the man their guarding. When Spurs had a diver, teams had to move their weakside defender over into the paint to prevent an easy bucket in the lane -- which opened up 3 point attempts on the outside.

That's why you didn't see 3 point flurries this past year like you did in previous years when Spurs had 48 minutes of divers in the game with Splitter and healthy TD -- Mills, Green, Neal, Manu ect would all have a field day. Having a diver induces all 5 guys on the defensive end to rotate and move -- which makes simple unselfish ball-movement so valuable. Spurs usually yielded the two most valuable shots in basketball with a diver incorporated in the offense (corner 3, wide open/uncontested 3 or layups/dunks in the lane). Having West/ Aldridge as pick and pop guys for 48 minutes made it really tough for Spurs to manufacture the best shots in basketball because teams simple were taking away the drives in PnR's and funnelling the shots to the long 2 pick and pop while the defenders on the weakside didn't have to move or expend any significant energy.

Not having a diver, allows good teams to use the 2 men in the pick and roll to funnel the shots to the long 2 while the weak-side defenders don't have to move or rotate -- they can just stay on their man.

Buddy Mignon
07-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Add him to the list if bums you guys already have.

TheGreatYacht
07-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Add him to the list if bums you guys already have.
You have Mozgov

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Here's why Verde had a rough season, why Spurs had a tougher time manufacturing the most efficient shots in basketball, and why long 2 pick and pop play hurts weakside action and weakside open 3PA.

The weakside defenders stay at home on their man, while the defensive big involved in the pick and roll is concentrated on helping prevent the guard/wing from penetrating in the lane -- giving up the long 2. That hurts open 3 point attempts on the weakside and any action towards the basket from the weakside because the defensive player out on the wing pays more attention to the man their guarding. When Spurs had a diver, teams had to move their weakside defender over into the paint to prevent an easy bucket in the lane -- which opened up 3 point attempts on the outside.

That's why you didn't see 3 point flurries this past year like you did in previous years when Spurs had 48 minutes of divers in the game with Splitter and healthy TD -- Mills, Green, Neal, Manu ect would all have a field day. Having a diver induces all 5 guys on the defensive end to rotate and move -- which makes simple unselfish ball-movement so valuable. Spurs usually yielded the two most valuable shots in basketball with a diver incorporated in the offense (corner 3, wide open/uncontested 3 or layups/dunks in the lane). Having West/ Aldridge as pick and pop guys for 48 minutes made it really tough for Spurs to manufacture the best shots in basketball because teams simple were taking away the drives in PnR's and funnelling the shots to the long 2 pick and pop while the defenders on the weakside didn't have to move or expend any significant energy.

Not having a diver, allows good teams to use the 2 men in the pick and roll to funnel the shots to the long 2 while the weak-side defenders don't have to move or rotate -- they can just stay on their man.

If the defending big closed out LMA would drive which forces a rotation typically opening up the weakside corner.. Again Duncan was already doing the pnp before Aldridge. He wasn't as good at it. LMA can roll to the basket.

Duncan's regression was our biggest issue as well as losing shooting off the bench.

Bartleby
07-01-2016, 03:36 PM
You have Mozgov

:lol

And what a bargain!

TheGreatYacht
07-01-2016, 04:03 PM
:lol

And what a bargain!
Shitty Indiana getting Al Jefferson for half the price :lol

Indiana is a bigger FA destination than LA, lol Lakers

CGD
07-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Some team is gonna give him an Arenas offer sheet. Watch it be Dallas when they strike out on Whiteside and Howard

Chinook
07-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Some team is gonna give him an Arenas offer sheet. Watch it be Dallas when they strike out on Whiteside and Howard

Biggest fear right here. Boban starting for them at a cap figure of $14.5 Million is hardly an albatross, so we couldn't even :lol at them

palangi
07-01-2016, 04:24 PM

bullshit. Green missed plenty of open 3s all season.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2016, 05:55 PM
If the defending big closed out LMA would drive which forces a rotation typically opening up the weakside corner.. Again Duncan was already doing the pnp before Aldridge. He wasn't as good at it. LMA can roll to the basket.

Duncan's regression was our biggest issue as well as losing shooting off the bench.

That's the thing, good teams don't run out to contest the long 2 pick and pop big -- thats the shot they want the Spurs to take bc its the worst shot in basketball (efficiency wise).

Having LMA pick N pop is okay ( not great) because he's elite at it and in the top 1%. But to have another pick N pop big who isn't as good as his back up like West kills the overall offense for the 48 minutes in the long run vs. good teams for the reasons I expressed in my previous post.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2016, 09:19 PM
That's the thing, good teams don't run out to contest the long 2 pick and pop big -- thats the shot they want the Spurs to take bc its the worst shot in basketball (efficiency wise).

Having LMA pick N pop is okay ( not great) because he's elite at it and in the top 1%. But to have another pick N pop big who isn't as good as his back up like West kills the overall offense for the 48 minutes in the long run vs. good teams for the reasons I expressed in my previous post.

'True scotsman argument' Fact is that even the teams in the finals had guys run out at that shot.

An uncontested shot is the best shot in basketball and I will take it. Who cares what the league rate is efficiency wise. LMA is top percentile so his efficiency is just fine. HE also has the ability to dive at the basket despite him taking the wide open look the defense is giving him.

Again, the biggest issue has been the offensive decline of Duncan. Splitter isn't going to stop them from packing the lane and he would just brick the shot. Blaming LMA is missing the point.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2016, 09:57 PM
'True scotsman argument' Fact is that even the teams in the finals had guys run out at that shot.

An uncontested shot is the best shot in basketball and I will take it. Who cares what the league rate is efficiency wise. LMA is top percentile so his efficiency is just fine. HE also has the ability to dive at the basket despite him taking the wide open look the defense is giving him.

Again, the biggest issue has been the offensive decline of Duncan. Splitter isn't going to stop them from packing the lane and he would just brick the shot. Blaming LMA is missing the point.

You clearly don't understand what I'm saying.

Carry on.

Hoops Czar
07-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Day one is almost over and with all these ridiculous contract signings, Boban hasn't even got an offer yet? Wow, what's wrong with these NBA GM's? Don't they give a shit about PER?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2016, 11:32 PM
You clearly don't understand what I'm saying.

Carry on.

I understand exactly what you're saying. You are saying that a roll man forces a weakside rotation thus opening up a layup from the slot or a 3 from the corner or wing. You are claiming that a pick and pop doesn't because 'good' defenses allow the shot and don't rotate.

I'm saying that we've been doing it with Duncan since forever and that LMA is better at Duncan at it since around 2009 or so. Given that I don't see how it 'hurts' more than people realize. I'm also saying that you are playing with hypotheticals and league average as opposed to how LMA, West, and the SPurs actually performed out of those looks; West is one of the best jump shooing 4's in his own right. I'm also saying that even the best defenses list GS, Tor, and Memphis would close out and rotate on that shot particularly after LMA hit a couple.

I'm saying what has actually hurt us was the decline of Duncan, Verde missing even wide open looks most of the year, and the lack of outside shooting on the second unit.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Day one is almost over and with all these ridiculous contract signings, Boban hasn't even got an offer yet? Wow, what's wrong with these NBA GM's? Don't they give a shit about PER?

Boban has to meet with them as well. It's not all up to the other clubs.

cutewizard
07-03-2016, 05:15 AM
hope this guy improves in the offseason

ducks
07-03-2016, 11:45 PM
He will I want him back