PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein: Spurs to keep Diaw; interest in Conley "overstated"

Uriel
06-29-2016, 12:54 AM

Mr. Body
06-29-2016, 12:57 AM
How could they be interested in Conley with Parker on the roster? Parker is going nowhere. Why would Conley be interested?

Mr. Body
06-29-2016, 12:58 AM
Mildly surprised by Diaw. He seems relatively unproductive, but replacing what he did would be very downside.

TheGoldStandard
06-29-2016, 01:00 AM
Mildly surprised by Diaw. He seems relatively unproductive, but replacing what he did would be very downside.

Would have messed with his sea world show too much to move him..

Hoops Czar
God awful piece of shit front office.

peacemaker885
Pretty much the same team. Training camp at Air Force Academy? :bobo :lobt2:

raybies
06-29-2016, 01:05 AM
I love our FO. So wise. Would rather stand pat and slowly build then act like some of these other teams and just do something to do something. There's a reason to our success. Duncan was a huge role, maybe understatement, but the FO hasn't really messed it up.

T Park
06-29-2016, 01:07 AM
The Conley "interest" was and is the epitome of agents trying to drive up bargaining with teams.

Now it's between Memphis and Dallas. Is there anyone else who wants Conley? Memphis loves this news.

SD126
06-29-2016, 01:10 AM

PATFO going full blown retard mode

Ditty
06-29-2016, 01:16 AM
Why would you be mad that we didn't release Diaw just for him to sign with a contender, so he could be motivated against us that we released him?

You could still trade him to the team that isn't going to matter like we did with Splitter to Atlanta, if the Spurs really like someone. Diaw could still be a bargain for his upside if he gets motivated again and in shape.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 01:19 AM
No wonder Peter Holt retired. What a bunch of idiots.

Let me guess, Bonner is coming back too right?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 01:25 AM

The one that won 5 rings in 15 years? Go find another team.

Hoops Czar
06-29-2016, 01:26 AM
PATFO going full blown retard mode

Spurs aren't going anywhere with two massively declining starters (Duncan and Parker), a bonehead shooting guard that occasionally hits 3's and a trashy bench consisting of Diaw, Ginobili, Mills. LJC, Boban, Anderson, Simmons and Lorbek. With whatever little cap space they have left, they'll probably piss it all away on David West. For the second year in row, Spurs will lose the championship in the offseason.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 01:27 AM
That was Tim Duncan.

Hoops Czar
06-29-2016, 01:27 AM

1 in the last 9 years but, I bet you still think your watching a dynasty.

Joseph Kony
06-29-2016, 01:28 AM
Welp, Spurs probably won't be doing much this summer. I don't think they really need to tbh but it would be nice to upgrade with someone like Batum/Gasol. Spurs need to shore up a couple areas and unless KD goes to GS, we still have as good a shot as any to win next year

Ditty
06-29-2016, 01:34 AM
1 in the last 9 years but, I bet you still think your watching a dynasty rather than a fallen empire.

2 in the last 10 years, with their best player only being 24 years old. What teams can say that?

Hoops Czar
06-29-2016, 01:42 AM
2 in the last 10 years, with their best player only being 24 years old. What teams can say that?

Their best player has led them to a first and 2nd round exit while the player that actually carried them to 5 championships is 40 years old and can no longer shoulder the load. Kawhi Leonard is no Tim Duncan.

poeticism707
06-29-2016, 01:43 AM

DAMN IT SPURS, KEEPING DIAW???!!! ??!

AIN'T LEARNED SHIT I SEE.

THE ONLY THING DIAW WILL BE MOTIVATED

TO DO IS EAT MORE THIS OFF SEASON,

AND COME BACK AND EVEN FATTER, OUT OF SHAPE FUCK...

hooperflash
06-29-2016, 01:55 AM
The Conley "interest" was and is the epitome of agents trying to drive up bargaining with teams.

Now it's between Memphis and Dallas. Is there anyone else who wants Conley? Memphis loves this news.

I heard Chicago was interested in Conley for a while now.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 02:01 AM
7 Mill to get benched in the playoffs for not bothering to rebound. Keep getting them checks, I suppose.

south side spur
06-29-2016, 02:05 AM
Since when does the media know what the Spurs are doing? All of a sudden the Spurs gave a directive to "well placed" employees that they can talk to the media about personnel decisions?

poeticism707
06-29-2016, 02:15 AM
Pretty much the same team. Training camp at Air Force Academy? :bobo :lobt2:

This.

What the fuck.

Why the fuck would you not want Conley over

PARKER AND DIAW FAT USELESS ASSES!

Ditty
06-29-2016, 02:18 AM
Their best player has led them to a first and 2nd round exit while the player that actually carried them to 5 championships is 40 years old and can no longer shoulder the load. Kawhi Leonard is no Tim Duncan.

Of course Kawhi is no Tim, and there won't ever another one. Tim only one won championship in his first five years also, and was eliminated twice in the second round in those years. He had some bad moments during late stretches that he would struggle against the Lakers. Of course Kawhi wasn't the reason why we were eliminated these past two seasons. His upside to modern day basketball is what we really need to keep competing. Have to keep adding talented, motivated players from other teams to get past some of these humps in the road though like Duncan had in his prime with Bowen, Jackson, Horry, Barry, and Finley.

DeRozan m8
06-29-2016, 02:21 AM
This fat lazy c*nt had better stop being lazy tbh

Emperor
06-29-2016, 02:26 AM
I just hope Diaw doesn't end up on another contending or rival team and all of a sudden starts to give a sh*t again.

south side spur
This.

What the fuck.

Why the fuck would you not want Conley over

PARKER AND DIAW FAT USELESS ASSES!

Why invest $20 million/year in a player who obviously has degenerative ankle/foot symptoms for at least the past few seasons?

BG_Spurs_Fan
A 2 year/ $14 mil, with a fully non-guaranteed second year, is awesome value even for a fat Boris. Just watch the likes of Lin and Gordon get 8 figure deals over multiple seasons.

Emperor
06-29-2016, 02:35 AM
Everyone is completely overthinking all of this. Including me. They were a 67 win team last season and should have beaten the Thunder and had a chance against GSW. The chance for Durant is still there and even if that fails, the FO knows what it has to do to improve and i trust that they will do what is necessary. We're f'n spoiled tbh.

dabom
06-29-2016, 03:07 AM

Dallas likes overpaying....

siraulo23
06-29-2016, 03:13 AM
are they even gonna have a meeting with durant at this point?

Mal
06-29-2016, 03:14 AM
Dallas likes overpaying....

Didn`t they already overpaid one PG ?

dabom
06-29-2016, 03:15 AM
Didn`t they already overpaid one PG ?

Yeah but they can always get more overpaid players...

Mal
06-29-2016, 03:16 AM
are they even gonna have a meeting with durant at this point?

Some teams - like 76ers will have troubles with minimum cap space floor or whatever this is called. They could take Diaw just for protected 2nd rounder in 2025. It`s more difficult to have Durant say 'yes', rather than making cap space for such signing.

objective
06-29-2016, 03:49 AM
I don't understand keeping Diaw when Pop soured on him so bad to give him a dnp in a closeout game.

Usually once a vet player is dead to Pop, they stay dead iirc

Ditty
06-29-2016, 04:01 AM
I don't understand keeping Diaw when Pop soured on him so bad to give him a dnp in a closeout game.

Spurs probably believe or know they can get rid of Diaw in a trade with his possible expiring contract if someone they like will sign with them and need to clear up money. Also it keeps Cleveland, Golden State and OKC from getting Diaw if the Spurs would flat out release him.

Snaq O'Meal
06-29-2016, 04:30 AM

Perhaps they see a little bit of Draymond Green in Diaw, albeit in a softer, fatter, lazier and less competitive form.

r0drig0lac
06-29-2016, 05:05 AM
bad news about Diaw (he sucks), good news about Conley (it is not worth the max)

BillMc
06-29-2016, 05:38 AM
I think passing on Conley given his probable price-tag is wise.

DenialTwist
06-29-2016, 05:51 AM
Spurs should have traded Diaw by now. He's lazy and overweight. They probably think he is the key to beating GS lmao. So it's basically the same team as last year. If they don't figure out how to upgrade their starting pg position and get a mobile big then don't expect them to beat any of the elite teams, especially in the West. Spurs won't beat OKC, Clippers or the Warriors. So same team = same result in the playoffs. They need an injection of youth and athleticism.

DenialTwist
06-29-2016, 05:53 AM

Or maybe just maybe, they are planning on trading him after they guarantee his contract. A lot of teams would love to have Boris (and his contract) on their roster coming off the bench as playmaker.

objective
06-29-2016, 06:03 AM
If the Spurs didn't have his lifelong best friend on the team I doubt he's ever even a Spur. He left every team before on bad terms with his lack of effort and thinking his way is the smarter way. He's a major danger to quit on any team he gets traded too or signs with, and teams know that. Too many stories of his elitism when it comes to his approach to basketball and how he treats coaches.

Maybe he plays hard for Golden State and Kerr, but without Parker around to keep him engaged, I doubt he does any good for anyone else. And God help the team that doesn't put a weight clause on his deal.

Seventyniner
06-29-2016, 06:24 AM
So same team = same result in the playoffs.

Not even close. 2014 and 2015 were essentially the same team.

NickiRasgo
06-29-2016, 06:27 AM
FWIW. Diaw will going to play in 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament here in Manila next week.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Duncan was also an all star, tbh. He'll be 41 by the time playoffs come around

spurs50_
06-29-2016, 06:45 AM
I need a Whataburger in honor of Diaw.

baseline bum
06-29-2016, 07:19 AM

Not really. Splitter was healthy in 2014, and back to being a china doll in 2015. Parker was completely wrecked health wise by the end of 2015.

UZER
06-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Perhaps they see a little bit of Draymond Green in Diaw, albeit in a softer, fatter, lazier and less competitive form.

:lol

Jdspur20
06-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Not really. Splitter was healthy in 2014, and back to being a china doll in 2015. Parker was completely wrecked health wise by the end of 2015.

And a healthy splitter changes everything vs the clippers

Seventyniner
06-29-2016, 07:59 AM

Right, but it wasn't necessarily the wrong decision to bring the team back as is (as was?). In the summer of 2014 the FO couldn't have anticipated Parker dropping off that badly or Splitter getting that injured.

GSH
06-29-2016, 08:25 AM
"These new guys will bring down the average age of the team, so we really won't be old anymore."

As long as the Spurs can bring in a couple of middle school players, they can keep their old guys for another 5-6 years.

elbamba
06-29-2016, 08:47 AM
Maybe Diaw gets motivated and back into shape. He is a great player when he is motivated. They can also always trade his contract away - should be easy to do, especailly at the trade deadline.

I am happy that they will not throw a max contract at Conley. At 29 and in 9 seasons he has played fewer than 73 games 5 times. This guy would be a Charles Smith and not the spider.

TheGoldStandard
06-29-2016, 08:51 AM
"These new guys will bring down the average age of the team, so we really won't be old anymore."

As long as the Spurs can bring in a couple of middle school players, they can keep their old guys for another 5-6 years.

And happily ride the bench while the vets get the playing time. Fast Forward to the playoffs, vets getting cooked so Pop throws rookies to the wolves and they get torched.. "Well, I played them and that didn't help any"

JonNOKC
06-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Little downside keeping Boris. You see if he comes to camp in shape and ready to play....if not he is a decent multi-faceted player on an expiring contract and makes enough $ that packaged with someone else can bring back decent piece. KD was always a long shot. Most likely scenario has always been returning most of the roster with most improvement coming from Europe, younger guys continuing to develop, & adding maybe one middle tier FA like Gasol. Most likely won't result in the LOB but gets you to 2nd round or WC finals which is the likely outcome of any moves outside signing KD.

ceperez
06-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Little downside keeping Boris. You see if he comes to camp in shape and ready to play....if not he is a decent multi-faceted player on an expiring contract and makes enough $ that packaged with someone else can bring back decent piece. KD was always a long shot. Most likely scenario has always been returning most of the roster with most improvement coming from Europe, younger guys continuing to develop, & adding maybe one middle tier FA like Gasol. Most likely won't result in the LOB but gets you to 2nd round or WC finals which is the likely outcome of any moves outside signing KD.

Spurs with Gasol have a good chance at beating OKC and even GS. I really don't think Durant is going anywhere considering how much GSW and Spurs have to do to get him.

ElNono
06-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Maybe they're trying to exploit contract-year Diaw, tbh... and frankly, even if fatass, he's always been one of the few mismatches we have against the Dubs...

Dex
06-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Spurstalk is in peak offseason form already, I see.

YGWHI
06-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Love Boris but it's time to trade him for a younger/taller/quicker/more athletic/better rebounder player.

I. Hustle
06-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Love Boris but it's time to trade him for a younger/taller/quicker/more athletic/better rebounder player.

Cool, like who? And who is willing to trade this younger/taller/quicker/more athletic/better rebounder player for Boris?

Keepin' it real
06-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Cool, like who? And who is willing to trade this younger/taller/quicker/more athletic/better rebounder player for Boris?

We're eagerly anticipating your reply.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 10:04 AM
He's only going to keep getting fatter if we keep encouraging him with the tea/coffee machine memes. He thinks it's acceptable to be a fatass. For example this emoticon:

:bobo

and dumb ass tweets like this:

ceperez
06-29-2016, 10:10 AM
The Diaw hint is saying Spurs are going to get Batum.

Looks like Green's days are numbered.

Chinook
06-29-2016, 10:10 AM
The Diaw hint is saying Spurs are going to get Batum.

Looks like Green's days are numbered.

What Diaw hint? That he wasn't going to be cut?

buttsR4rebounding
06-29-2016, 10:14 AM
If Durant says no to the Spurs then I think they pick up Pau Gasol who starts with LMA. Duncan comes off the bench. West is out. That team IS better than last year's even with an older Duncan. If history repeats itself and DM can contribute I could see TP playing with the Manu and Tim on the 2nd team. Although that is a long shot at best.

K...
06-29-2016, 10:15 AM

We got ya with the slow motion king

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 10:16 AM
We got ya with the slow motion king
Funny that you bolded younger, because that's pretty much all that bum has going for him

YGWHI
06-29-2016, 10:17 AM

We're eagerly anticipating your reply.

We don't get that player just for Boris but a trade is a combination of players, picks, contracts....

cjw
06-29-2016, 10:21 AM
7 Mill to get benched in the playoffs for not bothering to rebound. Keep getting them checks, I suppose.

It's really $4 million. He was getting $3 million anyway which was a sunk cost. Speaking of sunk costs, do the $500k of weight incentives hit the cap or not? It's VERY unlikely he's ever below 254 pounds. If not, it's a $3.5 million additional base salary.

I've always expected the out in his deal to be AFTER this season as his $7 million is fully non-guaranteed and they have until 7/15 ... during the FA period ... to move him. So could be a huge facilitator for other teams next year and get pieces in return.

Dex
06-29-2016, 10:23 AM
If Durant says no to the Spurs then I think they pick up Pau Gasol who starts with LMA. Duncan comes off the bench. West is out. That team IS better than last year's even with an older Duncan. If history repeats itself and DM can contribute I could see TP playing with the Manu and Tim on the 2nd team. Although that is a long shot at best.

I think this could be a distinct possibility, provided Duncan would be okay coming off the bench. After years of seeing Manu do it, I'd like to think he could follow suit.

Rests Tim's legs and solves the rebounding problem the bench had last season. Plus Pau's ability to hit the midrange alongside LMA would stretch the paint even more. I would be a little concerned about both of them occupying the same areas of the court, but I think Pau could be a little more post-centric if needed.

silverblackfan
06-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Wild thought. Maybe Tony and Diaw will be traded together as a package.
Let the speculation begin...

ceperez
06-29-2016, 10:31 AM
We don't get that player just for Boris but a trade is a combination of players, picks, contracts....

I seriously doubt any team is going to want to pick up Boris. He's got a reputation of being a lazy player and no team wants that! The closest possibility is Atlanta.... maybe we get back Splitter!

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 10:31 AM
It's really $4 million. He was getting $3 million anyway which was a sunk cost. Speaking of sunk costs, do the $500k of weight incentives hit the cap or not? It's VERY unlikely he's ever below 254 pounds. If not, it's a $3.5 million additional base salary.

I've always expected the out in his deal to be AFTER this season as his $7 million is fully non-guaranteed and they have until 7/15 ... during the FA period ... to move him. So could be a huge facilitator for other teams next year and get pieces in return.
Forgot all about the weight incentive. I'm not a cap expert, I'm sure Chinook can answer :tu

His contract can easily be traded, IMO. All KD has to do is give the nod and they'll get it done. The disappointing part was hearing Stein say that the Spurs' interest in Conley is "overstated"... It's basically Durant or bust at this point smh.

Replacing Miller/West/Martin with Murray/LJC/Bertans isn't going to move the needle at all. Another wasted year of LMA and Kawhi's prime.

Big Empty
06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Diaw is good for when we play Golden State and Cleveland. That's all we need him for and that's why he is still important.
That's who you will play in the wcf and nba championship. He's usefull when it matters not the regular season.

TheGoldStandard
06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Forgot all about the weight incentive. I'm not a cap expert, I'm sure Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) can answer :tu

His contract can easily be traded, IMO. All KD has to do is give the nod and they'll get it done. The disappointing part was hearing Stein say that the Spurs' interest in Conley is "overstated"... It's basically Durant or bust at this point smh.

Replacing Miller/West/Martin with Murray/LJC/Bertans isn't going to move the needle at all. Another wasted year of LMA and Kawhi's prime.

You forgot Bonner.. he's already scheduled meetings with the Spurs, Subway and a Chevy dealership

ceperez
06-29-2016, 10:36 AM

That's more length and youth! Consider the impotence of Miller/West/Martin in the playoffs... any contribution from any of these 3 will be worth it.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 10:44 AM
You forgot Bonner.. he's already scheduled meetings with the Spurs, Subway and a Chevy dealership
The anonymous big man free agent Alex Kennedy was talking about, tbh.

That's more length and youth! Consider the impotence of Miller/West/Martin in the playoffs... any contribution from any of these 3 will be worth it.
With the exceptions of the Big 3 and Kawhi, rookies don't get playing time under Pop. The only playoff experience Murray will get this year will be in Austin

Chinook
06-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Forgot all about the weight incentive. I'm not a cap expert, I'm sure Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) can answer :tu

It really depends on the nature of the incentive when it was signed. If Diaw were under 254 pounds in 2014, then those incentives started off as likely to be earned, so they would have counted against the cap in 2015. Then provided he didn't meet the goal that season, they would have fallen off the cap for 2016 (meaning this most recent season, not this upcoming one). In addition to that, the Spurs would have gotten back the incentive for 2015.

Let's look at it this way. Say Diaw's deal was a flat $30M/4 deal that included an annual $500k weight clause. That clause started out as LtBE, but Diaw never met it. The cap hits would look like this:

2014-2015: $7.5 Million
2015-2016: $6.5 Million
2016-2017: $7 Million
2017-2018: $7 Million

Total payout is $28M/4 and flat from Diaw's perspective but divotted from that of the Spurs.

Anyway, according to Spotac, Diaw's incentives were always considered UtBE, so the team got back no cap space from him failing to meet those goals.

I will say, though, that they also list Diaw's salary for this upcoming season at $6.5 Million. So I don't know what's going on with the real numbers.

EDIT:

So it seems that all incentives count toward the first year of the cap. So if the deal was basically as I had described, then it would look like that. However, if the inclusive cap hits looked like Spotrac says (8/7.5/7/7.5), then Diaw's cap hit is in fact only $6.5 Million. So that mostly balances out Tim's increased cap number, but the team still has about a quarter-million less than I expected them to.

SpursforSix
06-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Diaw is good for when we play Golden State and Cleveland. That's all we need him for and that's why he is still important.
That's who you will play in the wcf and nba championship. He's usefull when it matters not the regular season.

He wasn't useful in OKC. When it mattered.

cjw
06-29-2016, 11:03 AM
He wasn't useful in OKC. When it mattered.

Tiago wasn't useful in the Heat finals, but was invaluable in getting there. Some series are for certain role players, others aren't.

SpursforSix
06-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Tiago wasn't useful in the Heat finals, but was invaluable in getting there. Some series are for certain role players, others aren't.

Sure. I agree with that. But Boris wasn't a significant piece of anything this season. And we never got to GSW or Cleveland.

spurs1990
06-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Not unhappy Boris Diaw is returning.

His contributions are well documented, and he doesn't negatively affect the game by doing TOO much like a certain starting guard.

DPG21920
06-29-2016, 11:09 AM
It really depends on the nature of the incentive when it was signed. If Diaw were under 254 pounds in 2014, then those incentives started off as likely to be earned, so they would have counted against the cap in 2015. Then provided he didn't meet the goal that season, they would have fallen off the cap for 2016 (meaning this most recent season, not this upcoming one). In addition to that, the Spurs would have gotten back the incentive for 2015.

Let's look at it this way. Say Diaw's deal was a flat $30M/4 deal that included an annual $500k weight clause. That clause started out as LtBE, but Diaw never met it. The cap hits would look like this:

2014-2015: $7.5 Million
2015-2016: $6.5 Million
2016-2017: $7 Million
2017-2018: $7 Million

Total payout is $28M/4 and flat from Diaw's perspective but divotted from that of the Spurs.

Anyway, according to Spotac, Diaw's incentives were always considered UtBE, so the team got back no cap space from him failing to meet those goals.

I will say, though, that they also list Diaw's salary for this upcoming season at $6.5 Million. So I don't know what's going on with the real numbers.

Same with Tims # & how it's being listed. I'm assuming it's over 36 Rule.

Chinook
06-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Same with Tims # & how it's being listed. I'm assuming it's over 36 Rule.

The over-36 rule shouldn't apply to anyone except maybe Parker when he gets his inevitable extension next off-season. It's its own animal.

Anyway, it turns out that Tim did count for $6 Million last season, as all incentives, LtBE and UtBE alike count for the first season. But because the team had only won 55 games in 2014-2015, the incentive for Tim's contract didn't count for 2016-2017. However, the team met that incentive, so Tim's cap hit rose to meet the heightened expectations. This technically happens during the moratorium. So Tim's salary is actually $5.6 Million right now, but we all know it will be $6.4 Million by the time the Spurs can actually use cap space.

DPG21920
06-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Well damn it :lol

timtonymanu
06-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Always was a Boris fan but can't root for him if he continues the TPark diet.

SpursFan86
06-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Spurstalk is in peak offseason form already, I see.

This POS front office always ruins our chances of winning! :madrun

06-29-2016, 11:42 AM
CIA Poop, tbh

GSH
06-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Bonner and Boris should just go together and buy Subway. They could start making subs on croissants, and Boris could write off his massive food bill as advertising.

The comment above about sunk costs is right. The $3M was spent already, no matter what they did. So Boris will cost them "just" $4M this season. I just wish they could make his contract contingent on getting into shape. Boris has crazy skills and BBIQ, but he seriously got too fat and slow to put them to good use - especially against the kind of athletes he faces in the playoffs.

$4M for a fit Boris Diaw is a steal. Fat-ass Boris Diaw will only help bring playoff disappointment.

ulosturedge
06-29-2016, 12:28 PM

This.

He is our best Warrior Killer. Unfortunately we never made it to the series with the Warriors. As far as to why he wasn't used in the OKC series i'm not sure. I don't think it was simply because he was in the doghouse with Pop. For all we know he might have been dealing with some kind of undisclosed injury. Regardless of that who else are you going to replace him with at 4mil a year(which is whats still owed to him) for the same value. And this doesn't mess up trying to acquire Durant. You think the FO is that stupid? I'm sure they have it worked out on which pieces they will have to move in the case that Durant does want to sign with us.

Spurs9
06-29-2016, 12:28 PM
A 2 year/ $14 mil, with a fully non-guaranteed second year, is awesome value even for a fat Boris. Just watch the likes of Lin and Gordon get 8 figure deals over multiple seasons.
And the talk with Noah getting 28million :lmao 7 million will seem cheap soon.

Horse
06-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Timmys decline may just be his knee, if he recovers he should be fine. Give LMA another year in the system and maybe Green can work better with him. Kawhi will improve even more. We will be fine.

TimDunkem
06-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Let me guess, Bonner is coming back too right?

Does anyone really believe that Bonner isn't coming back?

RD2191
06-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Always was a Boris fan but can't root for him if he continues the TPark diet.

:lol

Keepin' it real
06-29-2016, 12:46 PM
This POS front office always ruins our chances of winning! :madrun

:lmao

Chucho
06-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Spurs aren't going anywhere with two massively declining starters (Duncan and Parker), a bonehead shooting guard that occasionally hits 3's and a trashy bench consisting of Diaw, Ginobili, Mills. LJC, Boban, Anderson, Simmons and Lorbek. With whatever little cap space they have left, they'll probably piss it all away on David West. For the second year in row, Spurs will lose the championship in the offseason.

It's just easier to say you're an idiot if you think the Spurs lost the Championship last offseason. 67 wins was screwed by shitting coaching and getting absolutely NOTHING from EVERYONE not named LaMarcus or Kawhi in the OKC series. Mofuckinron.

Mikeanaro
06-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Yes because Gordis is a very hardworking player he even brings his Nespresso machine to practices and games, what else?

Taking it to the Hole
06-29-2016, 08:22 PM
I figure that they would keep Diaw. I bet the front office put in his contract a clause that said, "if by some chance Boris becomes morbidly obese, the Spurs organization will kindly foot the bill for liposuction and plastic surgery to remove all the excess loose skin." If I was Diaw, I would have signed that contract too. Can't blame the guy.

tholdren
06-29-2016, 08:26 PM
you're both exaggerating. FO has been sound in moves they make, they don't hit them all but they built a culture. its the only team thats keeping the nba from nothing more than and and1 mixtape...ooh baby. on the other end, FO has made some ridiculous moves. I don't think boris would be motivated by anything, but realistically, whats the other player SA could definitely get for the price that isn't a loser, and has talent??

CGD
06-29-2016, 08:43 PM
I'm not upset by this. I like the idea of a contract year Boris, plus this free agent class isnt that great to justify the stupid money some players are gonna get.

See where KD is at, but then operate above the cap when he says no. Focus on developing the 3 rookies, Anderson, and dleague prospects.

MLE - Pau (if Tim retires); west/Boban (if not)

LLE (whatever it's called now) -
Bertans

bird - Manu
Rookie exception - Murray
Rookie exception - LJC

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 08:50 PM
you're both exaggerating. FO has been sound in moves they make, they don't hit them all but they built a culture. its the only team thats keeping the nba from nothing more than and and1 mixtape...ooh baby. on the other end, FO has made some ridiculous moves. I don't think boris would be motivated by anything, but realistically, whats the other player SA could definitely get for the price that isn't a loser, and has talent??

FO has made some poor moves, as has every other FO in the NBA. My point is that Spurs' FO hits more often than not, and has made some absolutely brilliant moves which brought us a ridiculous 5 rings in 15 years, yet somehow some people still want to pretend they're crap? I think those people should fuck off and adopt another team. I despise ingratitude.

None of that was aimed at you, btw. :)

Spurfan4ever20
06-29-2016, 09:08 PM
So basically the Spurs are out of the KD's free agency extravaganza but still plan on meeting with him.

Kindergarten Cop
06-29-2016, 09:12 PM
So basically the Spurs are out of the KD's free agency extravaganza but still plan on meeting with him.

Not officially. Obviously it's more difficult now, but it's still possible if KD decides he'd like to come to SA (which has always been a long shot anyways).

tbdog
06-29-2016, 09:19 PM
^ We still have to trade away Green, which appears the most likely scenario regardless if Tim opt out or not. Just due to roster balance, having Leonard, Durant, Manu, Green, Anderson, and Simmons is a crowded wing combination. Green has the most value of the expendable players and can net you a low costing good player like Deing.

It is likely Tim spoke to Pop and co and asked what they think. Perhaps they said they were not spending high amounts this offseason that would require Tim to opt out, and for the two players you would spend money on (Durant and Horford) and obviously not Conley, and they already have trades lined up if they need to shed salary, (highly likely they have agree packages already in place for players like Green, Diaw, and Mills).

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm not upset by this. I like the idea of a contract year Boris, plus this free agent class isnt that great to justify the stupid money some players are gonna get.

See where KD is at, but then operate above the cap when he says no. Focus on developing the 3 rookies, Anderson, and dleague prospects.

MLE - Pau (if Tim retires); west/Boban (if not)

LLE (whatever it's called now) -
Bertans

bird - Manu
Rookie exception - Murray
Rookie exception - LJC
Aside from Murray, don't really see much coming out of the young guys. Would be a waste of LMA and Kawhi's prime to surround them with washed and green players IMO

06-30-2016, 01:24 AM
Conley shouldn't have been an option in the first place if the Spurs won't get rid of Parker. Good to know the FO isn't completely crazy. Keeping Diaw is somewhat surprising though. Knowing the Spurs want to keep Boban and bring in a bunch of rookies plus Duncan opting in means we are in for a very boring off season. Biggest signing will probably be Plumlee and a cheap wing.

Definitely saw this punt coming. Next season won't see many improvements though.

DenialTwist
06-30-2016, 03:02 AM
So if the Spurs aren't planning on getting Conley that means we should expect Parker to be a starter until he is 40 years old? I mean you just know they will re-sign him after two years. He'll never come off the bench. Plus Manu looks like he is coming back next season.
When will the Spurs have a new starting point guard, four years after Murray has developed?

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Staying in Memphis IMO..

Sean Cagney
06-30-2016, 04:07 PM
Does anyone really believe that Bonner isn't coming back?

That bum will be back 100%, you know it.

Capt Bringdown
06-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Diaw is done.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Spurs don't plan on waiving Diaw. Ew.

K...
06-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Spurs don't plan on waiving Diaw. Ew.

He's valuable trade bait.

dabom
06-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Staying in Memphis IMO..

Think so too. But I feel like he wants to leave.

tholdren
06-30-2016, 05:21 PM
FO has made some poor moves, as has every other FO in the NBA. My point is that Spurs' FO hits more often than not, and has made some absolutely brilliant moves which brought us a ridiculous 5 rings in 15 years, yet somehow some people still want to pretend they're crap? I think those people should fuck off and adopt another team. I despise ingratitude.

None of that was aimed at you, btw. :)

You're right - but it always comes down to a little luck, as well. FO came up big with Manu Tony KL - certainly. But there have been a limited amount of moves that have paid dividends if you're strictly talking over-the-top. To be competitive for as long as they have is extremely impressive.

cutewizard
06-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Spurs always aim for the title,

anything less is a failure

and Spurs fans are spoiled

in other words, this better be a good offseason for us again, like last year

cutewizard
06-30-2016, 09:45 PM
so, Spurs are going to keep Diaw?????

benfti
06-30-2016, 09:47 PM
I'd be interested in replacing David West with Andrew Bogut if he becomes available, which I'm sure he will

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2016, 09:51 PM
so, Spurs are going to keep Diaw?????

I think (and hope) so. Most have very short memories of how important he was to our success against the Warriors and other teams that tried to play small ball against us. I know that he has his warts, but in a week or so Boris' contract will look staggering in comparison to what's being doled out. I'm counting on him working hard this summer and coming into camp in shape (insert prayingdog.jpg) and playing a HUGE (figuratively, not literally) role in our success next year.

Mikeanaro
06-30-2016, 09:57 PM
I think (and hope) so. Most have very short memories of how important he was to our success against the Warriors and other teams that tried to play small ball against us. I know that he has his warts, but in a week or so Boris' contract will look staggering in comparison to what's being doled out. I'm counting on him working hard this summer and coming into camp in shape (insert prayingdog.jpg) and playing a HUGE (figuratively, not literally) role in our success next year.
Thats your problem.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Thats your problem.

I'm confused about the choice to bold the word "was" because it was literally the last time that he stepped on the court against them, no?

As for the "working hard" and "coming into camp in shape" comments, I realize that it is highly optimistic (hence the "insert prayingdog.jpg" remark) - but if Boris wishes to cash in one more time next year when the cap balloons again, he'll have to be motivated (and I honestly feel that he will). And similarly to what they say about Bruce Banner - You don't want to see Boris when he's motivated! ;-)

cutewizard
06-30-2016, 10:15 PM
tsssk, tskkk....

i hope Boris Diaw will be serious about this upcoming season

TOO MUCH COASTING AND BODY FAT ACCUMULATE TO A DEGREE WHERE IT BECOMES THE ENEMY!

------------------------------------------------------

if i had the skills of Diaw, i would take ALL my seasons seriously......

Mikeanaro
06-30-2016, 10:59 PM
I'm confused about the choice to bold the word "was" because it was literally the last time that he stepped on the court against them, no?

As for the "working hard" and "coming into camp in shape" comments, I realize that it is highly optimistic (hence the "insert prayingdog.jpg" remark) - but if Boris wishes to cash in one more time next year when the cap balloons again, he'll have to be motivated (and I honestly feel that he will). And similarly to what they say about Bruce Banner - You don't want to see Boris when he's motivated! ;-)
After the 2014 championships some players declined to never came back again DG, Patty after the surgery and of course Boris, thats why the was is important.
Boris is a lazy ass he will never work hard, never did in his lackluster years, he is into safaris girls and parties, the only reason he plays basketball is because the checks are great.
After the championships Spurs offered him a motivation check if he was able to lose some weight and he gave 2 fucks about it, they lost to the Clips and did he work hard and came motivated for 2015? nope because he is not into motivational hardworking stuff.
Boris got his ring and now his lazy habits are getting into the team, same with Bonner and DG.

DenialTwist
07-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Conley is only meeting with the Grizzlies and Mavericks now. Looks like the Spurs are not going to strike out in free agency this year. Instead of trading Diaw and Mills they are sticking with the same bench that struggled to score in the playoffs.