PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green is VASTLY OVERRATED

poeticism707
06-29-2016, 01:34 AM
Tired of hearing how much a supposed bargain he is. DG ain't no bargain when he sucks most of the time.

When he isn't hitting shots, which again is most of the time, he sucks. He ain't had it going from 3 in 2 years, and that INCLUDES RS AND PLAYOFFS. If there is one reason why we lost on the playoffs the last few years, THAT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT, it was him. Because our STARTING SHOOTING GUARD CAN'T SHOOT FOR SHIT.

What's worse, he can't create. Teams learned to run him of the 3 hard, ESPECIALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS, because they know they have nothing to fear. He can hardly drive and kick at all, and he damn sure can't DRIVE AND SCORE.

Turns out the only thing DG is good for is his D, which he is elite at.

But that ain't worth 8m a year, is it? The d league is littered with great defenders, just like DG, who can't shoot for shit. Worth the minimum only.

Also funny how morons blamed Kawi, even though he put up a little better than his RS numbers. Somehow, Kawi was supposed to average 35 while doing dpoy work, lol. But not a single thread was made calling out Green and his 2 year paid vacation for 16m.

Again, Green is way overrated by Spurs fans. There is no such thing as a 2 year drought. He just can't fucking shoot anymore.

If I were Spurs FO, I would trade him for anything reasonable, like the highest pic we'd get in a draft, or whatever else we can get for him.

DG has Malik Rose illnesses:

got paid, MIA ever since.

Spurs need to make it someone else's problem.

Joseph Kony
06-29-2016, 01:35 AM
tl;dr

OP is a faggot

Chinook
06-29-2016, 01:36 AM
Again, we really have to get some type of rule to prevent random threads up in here.

AFMadison
06-29-2016, 01:37 AM
Again, we really have to get some type of rule to prevent random threads up in here.

Ditty
06-29-2016, 01:40 AM
Yeah he shot 50% from 3 in the playoffs, and played his best basketball of the season when it mattered, and was our third best player in the postseason.. Blame some of the bench players that didn't show up, and please get his salary right next time.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2016, 01:48 AM
He has another year like last year and you won't find any bidders for a one-trick 30yr old SG.

While Reddick and Durant have shitted on his defense these last two years, he's still better than Manu.

poeticism707
06-29-2016, 01:51 AM
He has another year like last year and you won't find any bidders for a one-trick 30yr old SG.

While Reddick and Durant have shitted on his defense these last two years, he's still better than Manu.

This.

Spurs should trade him this off season,

and MAYBE they get a little something.

After next year's brick building they can forget it.

Sean Cagney
06-29-2016, 01:59 AM
Yeah he shot 50% from 3 in the playoffs, and played his best basketball of the season when it mattered, and was our third best player in the postseason.. Blame some of the bench players that didn't show up, and please get his salary right next time.
Yep, one of the few who shows up when it really matters. Game 7 against LAC he was one of the few to really show up as well, he did bad all series but shows up when it matters most of the time. He is a keeper.

ducks
06-29-2016, 10:03 AM
find out what barnes makes this offseason get back to me

MVPCues
06-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Who vastly overrates him? I don't see anyone on this board vastly overrating him. About half have a healthy respect for his elite D while wishing he was more consistent with the 3 part. The other half say he isn't worth it because when he is not hitting 3's he is near useless at the offensive end. I don't see anyone vastly overrating him. He can be slightly overrated but still be worth 8 million (your number). You even added a question mark on the end because you can't say he isn't worth 8 million. BTW, asking if he is worth what he is being paid might be a better question.

Useless thread. We all know this shit already. Nobody vastly overrates him.

Big Empty
06-29-2016, 10:47 AM
I agree about his dribbling. Also agree we didn't lose because of him. If he could spend the entire summer on his dribbling it would be nice. I think Tim can dribble better and I cringe when Tim holds the ball too long.

bklynspursfan
06-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Man that would be amazing. The quality of thread and discussions in general is so bad, it makes it tough on the posters who actually want to have real discussion.

Idk who the Moderators are, but sheesh.

timtonymanu
06-29-2016, 11:06 AM
tl;dr

OP is a faggot

south side spur
06-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Who vastly overrates him? I don't see anyone on this board vastly overrating him. About half have a healthy respect for his elite D while wishing he was more consistent with the 3 part. The other half say he isn't worth it because when he is not hitting 3's he is near useless at the offensive end. I don't see anyone vastly overrating him. He can be slightly overrated but still be worth 8 million (your number). You even added a question mark on the end because you can't say he isn't worth 8 million. BTW, asking if he is worth what he is being paid might be a better question.

Useless thread. We all know this shit already. Nobody vastly overrates him.

Wellllllllll, it's pretty obvious why the thread was made....why are you guys saying mean things about Kawhi?:cry What about blaming EVERYONE else?:cry Stop saying mean things about Kawhi :cry

T Park
06-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Pretty much all that needs to be said haha.

look_at_g_shred
06-29-2016, 11:25 AM

BillMc
06-29-2016, 11:57 AM
He is what he is. If he were better we'd have had to pay him a lot more. Danny was a marginal NBA player the Spurs developed into a legit starter on a contender (and past champion). Well done by him and the organization.

RD2191
06-29-2016, 12:05 PM
OP dropping truth bombs. Bold this man.

MVPCues
06-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Wellllllllll, it's pretty obvious why the thread was made....why are you guys saying mean things about Kawhi?:cry What about blaming EVERYONE else?:cry Stop saying mean things about Kawhi :cry

Ohhhh, that must be it. How silly of me...

Mikeanaro
06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Danny Green is a fucking cancer.

skulls138
06-29-2016, 02:04 PM
DG is a spot op shooter. Acquiring LA took alot of shots away from him. Need to get a passing PG to get him more shots.

tholdren
06-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Danny Green is a fucking dancer.

Cry Havoc
06-29-2016, 02:20 PM

OP has proven to be one of the worst posters in ST history time and time again.

elemento
06-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Nah Green is fine

Just needs to shoot from deep as well as he did in the playoffs and we're good to go. Unless Acne is coming, Green is not going anywhere.

Dre_7
06-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Green is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and is important next to Kawhi.

wildcardX
06-29-2016, 02:42 PM
In before the next "Start Simmons" thread.

Spurtacular
06-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Turns out the only thing DG is good for is his D, which he is elite at.

Debatable. He played high level defense in the 2014 Finals. Other times, his man finds his way around him all too easy. He is maybe the best help defender at SG in the league though.

AZK619
06-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Danny Green is a fucking cancer.

Gervin44Silas13
06-29-2016, 03:15 PM
he needs to stop making commercials and work on his game

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Green is the 2nd most polarizing and criticized player on SpursTalk(only behind Tony Parker), which automatically disqualifies him from being overrated, tbh..

He might be the face of the "analytics vs. eye test" debate in today's league, though..most of his haters fall in the latter group, while on the other side, he's an advanced metrics monster..

FuzzyLumpkins
06-29-2016, 03:59 PM

There is no thread about Verde on the first page and he is not a random subject.

Emperor
06-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Green had an off year. It happens. But he has proven to be clutch for us at times and regardless is still one of the best defenders in the league and making only $10mil.

cjw
06-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Green is the 2nd most polarizing and criticized player on SpursTalk(only behind Tony Parker), which automatically disqualifies him from being overrated, tbh..

He might be the face of the "analytics vs. eye test" debate in today's league, though..most of his haters fall in the latter group, while on the other side, he's an advanced metrics monster..

Further to that, it seems like his defense goes unnoticed but is among the best at his position. But you do really notice his screw ups on D because it's usually missed rotations resulting in his guy getting an open shot.

Green is a top 30 three point shooter by percentage in league history and an elite defender. Well worth every dollar.

tholdren
06-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Further to that, it seems like his defense goes unnoticed but is among the best at his position. But you do really notice his screw ups on D because it's usually missed rotations resulting in his guy getting an open shot.

Green is a top 30 three point shooter by percentage in league history and an elite defender. Well worth every dollar.
His defense is good at times and god-awful at times, he's a weak minded player. When he's on and hitting and playing defense, he is a steal. When he is one or the other, he is overpriced. He sucked ass last year.

skulls138
06-29-2016, 07:54 PM
he's a weak minded playerLove how you just throw that out there no big deal. :rolleyes

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 10:28 PM
No, actually, he's not, and especially not on that contract. His defence, especially in transition and against particular players, is elite, and he sure can drain that 3-ball.

I think he'll have a bounce back season in 2016-17 now that he's adjusted to the new style of play.

Kikoluna
06-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Danny is not overrated. Elite defender, good to great 3 pt. Shooter. Very Important piece.

midnightpulp
06-29-2016, 11:33 PM

Metrics will never tell the whole story and stats are largely worthless when not evaluated in context.

Let's say we have a player who puts up 50 points, 20 boards, and 10 assists on 20/20 shooting every other game. In the other game, he averages 2 points, 0 boards, 0 assists on 1-10 shooting. His season average would be 26ppg, 10rpg, 5apg on 70%. His advanced metrics would be through the roof, but the eye test would tell us that this particular player can never put two good games together in a row, which is big liability to have for a star player.

This is obviously an extreme example, but it illustrates the problems with any statistical method of analysis. And Danny kind of fit that pattern in the OKC series. Oh yeah, his series stats were "great." 10.8ppg on .514 shooting from 3. But when you examine them in context, he shot 5-6 from 3 in a game 1 blowout. Was poor-to-mediocre over the next 2 games (he was okay in game 3), and then shot 6-8 from 3 in game 5. And then disappeared again.

Danny goes from one extreme to the other. He rarely gives us a consistent 8-10 points on 40% shooting from 3 every game. It's 17 points on 5-6 from 3 and then 3 points on 1-8 shooting the next game.

This also why I think advanced metrics needs some type of "consistency metric."

All Mighty Janitor
06-29-2016, 11:54 PM
Metrics will never tell the whole story and stats are largely worthless when not evaluated in context.

Let's say we have a player who puts up 50 points, 20 boards, and 10 assists on 20/20 shooting every other game. In the other game, he averages 2 points, 0 boards, 0 assists on 1-10 shooting. His season average would be 26ppg, 10rpg, 5apg on 70%. His advanced metrics would be through the roof, but the eye test would tell us that this particular player can never put two good games together in a row, which is big liability to have for a star player.

This is obviously an extreme example, but it illustrates the problems with any statistical method of analysis. And Danny kind of fit that pattern in the OKC series. Oh yeah, his series stats were "great." 10.8ppg on .514 shooting from 3. But when you examine them in context, he shot 5-6 from 3 in a game 1 blowout. Was poor-to-mediocre over the next 2 games (he was okay in game 3), and then shot 6-8 from 3 in game 5. And then disappeared again.

Danny goes from one extreme to the other. He rarely gives us a consistent 8-10 points on 40% shooting from 3 every game. It's 17 points on 5-6 from 3 and then 3 points on 1-8 shooting the next game.

I never realized how much we needed this until now. Good shit. Just to add on, this metric would have to take into account stat outbursts in a way that wouldn't be over penalized, if penalized at all. Otherwise, such a stat might say Kawhi was the best scorer in the league.

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2016, 11:57 PM

Sure, but this is the case with virtually every role player, it's why they're role players..I would bet that it's rare to find great role players that show offensive consistency in their scoring..

Shit, you could even use that logic with some superstars like Kobe, tbh..

therealtruth
06-30-2016, 12:26 AM
You need to watch some clips of games 3-4 of 2014 Finals. The Heat thought the same thing.

midnightpulp
06-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Sure, but this is the case with virtually every role player, it's why they're role players..I would bet that it's rare to find great role players that show offensive consistency in their scoring..

Shit, you could even use that logic with some superstars like Kobe, tbh..

Yeah, that's why I'd love to come up with a consistency stat. Danny just seemed particularly egregious this year with his offensive consistency. Like I said, it was an outburst one game and a disappearing act the next.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2016, 11:26 AM
His nutsack doesn't shrivel up when the real season starts. He's also the Spurs second best defender. Hard to replace all of that.

tholdren
06-30-2016, 12:54 PM

Quality post - always go back to context. People don't understand that here. You have the Chinooks of the world who are can post some really sound stuff, and then interpret data incredibly wrong - and try to justify, not taking into account what lead to X stat in the first place. BUT....... that is how the game has always been explained.. ppg rpg apg etc.

Taking it to the Hole
06-30-2016, 04:29 PM
I am not ready to give up on Green after one really bad year shooting the ball. Even Green said the hardest thing he was dealing with was developing "chemistry" with new teammates. I feel that he is very much a finesse player and if something upsets that balance, it throws off his own game but some posters on here forget so easily this guy broke the Finals record for 3's in 2013. He can shoot and in this league you don't have to do a lot but shoot great from 3 and play decent defense, both things that Green does much better than most comparable players at his position. If he has another bad year, I might be willing to side with you but you can't judge the guy based off of one year when he has done so much for us in the past. I am pretty sure he wasn't sitting on his laurels this offseason and will come back ready to contribute bc I think he is his own worst critic.

callo1
06-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Just like Cojo was overrated.

I heard that for two years and then he had a very good year in Toronto. In fact, If Cojo had been on the roster still, the Spurs beat the Thunder.

People need to think before they make crazy statements.

Danny is a damn good defender, especially in transition. Most certainly, his offense was sub par for his standards last year, but I feel very confident that he comes back and has a great year.

tholdren
06-30-2016, 07:08 PM
I am not ready to give up on Green after one really bad year shooting the ball. Even Green said the hardest thing he was dealing with was developing "chemistry" with new teammates. I feel that he is very much a finesse player and if something upsets that balance, it throws off his own game but some posters on here forget so easily this guy broke the Finals record for 3's in 2013. He can shoot and in this league you don't have to do a lot but shoot great from 3 and play decent defense, both things that Green does much better than most comparable players at his position. If he has another bad year, I might be willing to side with you but you can't judge the guy based off of one year when he has done so much for us in the past. I am pretty sure he wasn't sitting on his laurels this offseason and will come back ready to contribute bc I think he is his own worst critic.
meh - dude was missing wide open threes. don't need chemistry for that.

Mikeanaro
06-30-2016, 07:24 PM
meh - dude was missing wide open threes. don't need chemistry for that.
Wrong, they were ¨affecting his confidence¨, you can hurt DG feelings if you dont treat him good, he can cry and the whole game suffers, such an ELITE defender and prolific 3 pointer ever needs everything just in place, maybe there was a bad vibe on the crowd, maybe someone farted at the stadium and game cant be played this way, maybe when he went to the bank dollars had a funny smell, pollution, etc...
Cant judge honestly, especially when he´s been sucking for 2 seasons in a row and scrubs here try to make it like it was just one season.

blizz
06-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Yep, one of the few who shows up when it really matters. Game 7 against LAC he was one of the few to really show up as well, he did bad all series but shows up when it matters most of the time. He is a keeper.

That's such bullshit. Shows up when it really matters? Game 7? It's the fucking playoffs. ALL of the games matter. Some of you guys have such a raging hard on for the guy it's ridiculous. You give him a pass and shit all over our all stars. It's unbelievable. He's had what two or three good games in the last two playoffs combined. Sime of you guys are still shooting your wads over the 3 or 4 games he was on fire against the heat when we lost. Newsflash guys. He SUCKED after they learned how to run him off the line and we lost.
Fuck Danny Green!

palangi
06-30-2016, 07:52 PM
That's such bullshit. Shows up when it really matters? Game 7? It's the fucking playoffs. ALL of the games matter. Some of you guys have such a raging hard on for the guy it's ridiculous. You give him a pass and shit all over our all stars. It's unbelievable. He's had what two or three good games in the last two playoffs combined. Sime of you guys are still shooting your wads over the 3 or 4 games he was on fire against the heat when we lost. Newsflash guys. He SUCKED after they learned how to run him off the line and we lost.
Fuck Danny Green!
:clap:clap:clap

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Fuck Danny Green!
https://media.giphy.com/media/APNXnSYadQYO4/giphy.gif
Talk about a truth nuke..

r0drig0lac
06-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Fuck Danny Green!

word

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Fuck Danny Green!

He shot over 50% from 3 in the playoffs:lol

http://oi65.tinypic.com/dmb1b4.jpg

Some of you guys need to understand the difference between role players and stars..you won't find role players that consistently show up on offense, that's part of the reason they are just role players..

timtonymanu
06-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Fuck Danny Green!

:clap:clap:clap

https://media.giphy.com/media/APNXnSYadQYO4/giphy.gif
Talk about a truth nuke..

word

oh look I found 4 morons who should just kill themselves

Keepin' it real
06-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Just like Cojo was overrated.

I heard that for two years and then he had a very good year in Toronto. In fact, If Cojo had been on the roster still, the Spurs beat the Thunder.

People need to think before they make crazy statements.

Danny is a damn good defender, especially in transition. Most certainly, his offense was sub par for his standards last year, but I feel very confident that he comes back and has a great year.

I didn't edit the above in any way other than adding the bold. True story.

:wakeup

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Nice. Properly imbalanced, just like I expected.

timtonymanu
06-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Nice. Properly imbalanced, just like I expected.

Kill yourself

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Kill yourself
Uh huh... and? Go on.

timtonymanu
06-30-2016, 08:47 PM

Some of you guys need to understand the difference between role players and stars..you won't find role players that consistently show up on offense, that's part of the reason they are just role players..

real truth nuke here. I see why Chinook gets so defensive of Green. so many morons that post in these anti Green threads

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 08:54 PM
^^Hating on Green is fine, I can understand people that are frustrated with his inconsistency and inability to handle the ball..

The problem is virtually all the Green haters want to replace him with inferior role players that have the same issues with inconsistency:lol

The Cavs just won a title with Richard Jefferson as their best perimeter role player:lol

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 08:55 PM
real truth nuke here. I see why Chinook gets so defensive of Green. so many morons that post in these anti Green threads
Simpletons love volume stats rather than going game by game. I feel you, brother.
Why don't you go look at the OKC series and tell me how consistently good Danny was throughout that series.

timtonymanu
Simpletons love volume stats rather than going game by game. I feel you, brother.
Why don't you go look at the OKC series and tell me how consistently good Danny was throughout that series.

told you to kill yourself, faggot. done talking to you

tonight...you
^^Hating on Green is fine, I can understand people that are frustrated with his inconsistency and inability to handle the ball..

The problem is virtually all the Green haters want to replace him with inferior role players that have the same issues with inconsistency:lol
I actually don't want him replaced at all, personally. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 08:56 PM
told you to kill yourself, faggot. done talking to you
Hurts when you bleed, doesn't it?

timtonymanu
06-30-2016, 08:57 PM

That's fine. These anti Green threads are just so fucking repetitive. It must be how Parker fans feel like with all the anti Parker threads

palangi
06-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Yeah...people are morons and should kill themselves if they have a different opinion from yours!

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Yeah...people are morons and should kill themselves if they have a different opinion from yours!
He's "regulating".

DPG21920
06-30-2016, 09:00 PM

No one outside of Kawhi & LMA in the first half of the series was good. Danny isn't supposed to be saviour especially in the playoffs although he's played that role many times.

He also played incredible defense which again no one values.

palangi
06-30-2016, 09:02 PM
He's "regulating".
Mount up!

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 09:02 PM
No one outside of Kawhi & LMA in the first half of the series was good. Danny isn't supposed to be saviour especially in the playoffs although he's played that role many times.

Green had the highest adjusted on/off of any Spur in the OKC series, along with shooting over 50% from 3..only Kawhi and Aldridge had positive on/off numbers among all other Spurs in the series:lol

Mikeanaro
06-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Fuck Danny Green!
Best offseason post so far.

tonight...you

No argument there. It's obviously why Pop keeps him on the floor and he shows his defensive value over and over.
His offensive value is like playing a bad scratch off though and at times, his D just cannot make up for it.

Like I said though, and especially for the price being paid- I wouldn't replace the man. The guy needs to seriously work on some basic facets of the game, though.

It's also completely obvious that Pop keeps him on the floor for D and considers his O pure gravy in how short a leash he keeps on him when he blows a D assignment.
Danny is not on the floor to shoot, he's on the floor to D up.

palangi

He doesn't play incredible defense consistently. I don't know why you keep pushing this. He is very bad at defense sometimes too. His inconsistency can be in the same game too.

DPG21920
06-30-2016, 09:04 PM
He doesn't play incredible defense consistently. I don't know why you keep pushing this. He is very bad at defense sometimes too. His inconsistency can be in the same game too.

We aren't going to agree on this one my friend.

palangi
06-30-2016, 09:06 PM
We aren't going to agree on this one my friend.
Agreed

DPG21920
06-30-2016, 09:08 PM
Agreed

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/2399842/toche-o.gif

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Green had the highest adjusted on/off of any Spur in the OKC series, along with shooting over 50% from 3..only Kawhi and Aldridge had positive on/off numbers among all other Spurs in the series:lol
Whee! Volume stats!

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Just to put things in perspective, these were the perimeter role players on the final 4 teams: Harrison Barnes, Andre Iguodala, DeMarre Carroll, Terrence Ross, Andre Roberson, Dion Waiters, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson:lol

Only Iguodala shows any consistency among the bunch, tbh..most of the others are terrible..

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Whee! Volume stats!

5-season + playoffs sample size is huge, tbh..

palangi
06-30-2016, 09:11 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/2399842/toche-o.gif
:lol:toast

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Just to put things in perspective, these were the perimeter role players on the final 4 teams: Harrison Barnes, Andre Iguodala, DeMarre Carroll, Terrence Ross, Andre Roberson, Dion Waiters, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson:lol

Only Iguodala shows any consistency among the bunch, tbh..most of the others are terrible..
True. Good point.

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Game by game though shows his wild ups and downs. Even during the playoffs. That's my point.

Instead of a steady, you know what you're going to get, kind of play- you're getting a lotto's chance every game.
Could be great, could be zippo with some ugly defensive lapses in between.

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 09:18 PM
But your previous showing of what the wings were in the Final 4 teams was telling, to me.
You're right about consistency and maybe I'm just asking too much from him. I want him to shore up some truly basic weaknesses though that should have already happened in his career.

Maybe that is what pisses me off about him...

Mikeanaro
06-30-2016, 09:19 PM

2015 Playoffs

http://dc737.4shared.com/img/ym21EerHce/s24/155a4446e20/Danny_Green_2015?async&rand=0.030900385969891198

2016 Playoffs
http://dc737.4shared.com/img/4d-69wcjba/s24/155a4436c50/Green_2016?async&rand=0.14824940065661552

And this is being generous because he plays for the Spurs, in any other team he would be eating bench or waived, system playa.

ohmwrecker
06-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Advanced metrics don't win championships.

DPG21920
06-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Game by game though shows his wild ups and downs. Even during the playoffs. That's my point.

Instead of a steady, you know what you're going to get, kind of play- you're getting a lotto's chance every game.
Could be great, could be zippo with some ugly defensive lapses in between.

If DG has ugly defensive lapses then every other SG is basically a garbage defender. No one is perfect - he is the best SG defender in the league IMO but no worse than top 3.

DPG21920
06-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Advanced metrics don't win championships.

Danny has won championships. Hi BTW.

Keepin' it real
06-30-2016, 09:24 PM

Exactly, that's Bouroursis' job.

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 09:24 PM
If DG has ugly defensive lapses then every other SG is basically a garbage defender. No one is perfect - he is the best SG defender in the league IMO but no worse than top 3.
No argument. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. He has 'em. That's why Pop repeatedly pulls him out of the blue throughout the season and puts Anderson, or McCallum for a minute so it can soak in.

ohmwrecker
06-30-2016, 09:26 PM
Danny has won championships. Hi BTW.

Hey, buddy. More of a general statement, but man, it seems like he's lost his mojo a bit, yeah?

ohmwrecker
06-30-2016, 09:28 PM
I agree with the defense assessment tho.

DPG21920
06-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Hey, buddy. More of a general statement, but man, it seems like he's lost his mojo a bit, yeah?

Not IMO. While it's possible, to me, DG has earned the right to call this offensive season a fluke. New star on the team, big adjustments, etc...

He still had maybe his best defensive year and that is his value. On top of that, he lit up the playoffs shooting the 3-ball so that gives me supreme hope as well.

tholdren
06-30-2016, 09:30 PM
lol you're silly

tonight...you
06-30-2016, 09:30 PM
Him and Mills need to go see this Voodoo priestess I happen to know out on the outskirts of Aransas Pass... A little blood, lot's of liquor too hard to stomach... Get that shit fixed up real quick.

ohmwrecker
06-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Not IMO. While it's possible, to me, DG has earned the right to call this offensive season a fluke. New star on the team, big adjustments, etc...

He still had maybe his best defensive year and that is his value. On top of that, he lit up the playoffs shooting the 3-ball so that gives me supreme hope as well.

He did seem to step it up a bit in the post season. I'm not giving up on the dude. I would just like to see a little more '14 DG. Patty too. I'm really optimistic about next season.

Nathan89
06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Even after the worse possible season from Danny Green last year he would be receiving a larger contract than he has this year. What a bargain. Sacrificing for the team.:worthy:

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2016, 10:03 PM
2015 Playoffs

http://dc737.4shared.com/img/ym21EerHce/s24/155a4446e20/Danny_Green_2015?async&rand=0.030900385969891198

2016 Playoffs
http://dc737.4shared.com/img/4d-69wcjba/s24/155a4436c50/Green_2016?async&rand=0.14824940065661552

And this is being generous because he plays for the Spurs, in any other team he would be eating bench or waived, system playa.
You're just showing me that he's inconsistent on offense, which is what I expect from a role player:lol

Who are these role players you guys are looking at that are consistently good on offense?

The Cavs just won a title with 2 players dominating and no other player consistently showing up in any series(their best role players were Tristan Thompson and Richard Jefferson, neither was particularly consistent)..the Warriors were 1 game away from the title, and their starting "perimeter role player" had one of the worst playoff runs I've ever seen from a starter..

Chinook
06-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Lol at people "not giving up" on Green as if he wasn't the best defensive guard in the league last season. Advanced metrics aren't volume stats. What kind of a contention is that? That said, he could definitely be more consistent. At the same time, though, it's really hard to be consistent at throwing a piece of rubber through a small circle that's 10 feet in the air and at least 23 feet away. Even more so when that circle is parallel to the ground.

People haven't realized that Danny's 20-point games are gravy and should be taken as such. His role on offense is to be guarded, not to score. People acting like Green taking three or fewer shots a game is some failure on his part are clueless. Him not getting those shots meant that whoever took them had a much easier time of it. For Christ's sake, the Thunder used Roberson on him as much as they used him on Kawhi. How many role-players draw the best defender on the other team? Ray Allen?

Green is not vastly overrated. That you're bitching about his consistency shows how much it affects the team. If a guy is so critical that he is swinging games in your mind despite being the fifth option on offense, he seems to warrant pretty high regard.

Sean Cagney
06-30-2016, 10:53 PM

I didn't even have to respond because you did it for me, so the two posters who posted truth nukes after that do your research before you speak or hate on the guy.

Yep, but that is only 2 or three good games remember.
Best offseason post so far.

If you look at his 3 pt % it is not true though, at least not all of it. There is a median ground here and both sides have arguments. Danny has shot well in the playoffs for the 5 years he has been here, a very high % from three.

Nathan89
06-30-2016, 11:00 PM
the Warriors were 1 game away from the title, and their starting "perimeter role player" had one of the worst playoff runs I've ever seen from a starter..

And that role player is on the verge of a max contract.

Mikeanaro
06-30-2016, 11:15 PM
You're just showing me that he's inconsistent on offense, which is what I expect from a role player:lol

Who are these role players you guys are looking at that are consistently good on offense?

The Cavs just won a title with 2 players dominating and no other player consistently showing up in any series(their best role players were Tristan Thompson and Richard Jefferson, neither was particularly consistent)..the Warriors were 1 game away from the title, and their starting "perimeter role player" had one of the worst playoff runs I've ever seen from a starter..

He is supposed to be a 3 point shooter and the best in SA, his defense is totally overrated and benefited because he is playing for the Spurs, I´ve seen thousands of times some other Spur player slapping the ball and going to DG or he is getting the ball because he was just there, he cant even dribble the ball pass or do nothing.
Nobody shits his pants because is being guarded by DG, not Curry, not CP3, Lillard, not even Harden.

But my point is this league is evolving into a strong offensive game, you dont need to look much those same players were doing it right in 2014 and this collective regression is inexcusable, the only people getting passes are Tim and Manu they are 80 years old combined, and even when I dont like Porker he is fucking gassed.

Cavs getting the tittle is not a good example they played vs 3 shitty East teams and won vs the most manufactured team since the CHeat, once they locked Curry players couldnt keep the production, they wouldnt even be getting past the Blazers if refs were not giving free meals to them to win games by 3 points.
GSW only won because Irving was out but anyway, Cavs had players doing things like that scrub Jones, JR Smith, people that you wouldnt trust a thing a collective effort, be dont have that anymore, so sad because on paper we looked stacked.

Even Lamarcus monster game wasnt enough, just a little collective effort...

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2016, 11:47 PM

SAGirl
07-01-2016, 04:59 AM
I don't even know why this is popping up right now without context.

Is this some Manu pls don't go deflection thread?

Some play Simonsssssss he's not overrated, he can dunkkkkks, bench Danny thread?

I'd this a trade Danny in a heartbeat let's get Durant at all costs and risks, we ain't even losing that much or whatever thread?

I don't even get the momentum on Danny bashing right now.

r0drig0lac
07-01-2016, 05:11 AM
Exactly, that's Bouroursis' job.

amem

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 11:19 AM

Like I said, Danny's "consistency pattern," if you will, was particularly bad in that example posted. There's not one instance of him putting 2 average/above average games together in a row. Simply put, his "great 3 point percentage" in these playoffs was skewed by the two games in which he shot an otherworldly percentage.

Compare his 2016 run with his 2014 run:

http://i.imgur.com/jRStKkh.png

Look at the good/great game streaks he went on this run. where he played par/above par/significantly above par in consecutive games (I would consider his 4-12 performance in the closeout game on OKC's floor a "par" game). He did no such thing in this run, unless we be really kind and give him a "par performance" in Game 6 in which the Spurs were losing by 30.

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 11:49 AM
And BTW, I'm not on any kind of trade Danny bandwagon (unless it nets us KD). I'm challenging the claim he had a "great" post-season offensively because his overall shooting percentage was strong, when reality is his numbers were skewed by two amazing shooting performances.

Chinook
07-01-2016, 12:04 PM
And BTW, I'm not on any kind of trade Danny bandwagon (unless it nets us KD). I'm challenging the claim he had a "great" post-season offensively because his overall shooting percentage was strong, when reality is his numbers were skewed by two amazing shooting performances.

First off, if you take out those two games along with his two "worst" games (two 0/1 games), he still shot 40 percent from three for the post-season. Your contention is baseless.

He shot over 40 percent in six of the 10 games. He didn't have a single game in the post-season this year where you could go, "Wow, Danny was off". 0/1 games or whatever aren't poor-shooting games. He's not supposed to force up shots. I'm sure he could and eek out 14ppg and wreck the team's offense. But no one wants him to do that. That means he's going to only score when the other team isn't paying special attention to him. That's fine.

I'm amenable to the idea that Green isn't consistent, but these last playoffs are a terrible sample to use to demonstrate that.

Kawhitstorm
07-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Tony Parker: -$7.4 value ($6.0 million value produced, $13.4 million contract value)
Steph Curry ($47.4 million value), Russell Westbrook (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/35063/russell-westbrook) ($33.0 million value), Kyle Lowry (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21730/kyle-lowry) ($26.6 million value)

:rolleyes

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 12:10 PM
First off, if you take out those two games along with his two "worst" games (two 0/1 games), he still shot 40 percent from three for the post-season. Your contention is baseless.

He shot over 40 percent in six of the 10 games. He didn't have a single game in the post-season this year where you could go, "Wow, Danny was off". 0/1 games or whatever aren't poor-shooting games. He's not supposed to force up shots. I'm sure he could and eek out 14ppg and wreck the team's offense. But no one wants him to do that. That means he's going to only score when the other team isn't paying special attention to him. That's fine.

I'm amenable to the idea that Green isn't consistent, but these last playoffs are a terrible sample to use to demonstrate that.

:lol He didn't put up 2 par (offensive) games in a row in which he took more than one total shot.

Compare his consistency in these playoffs to the 2014 run I posted. Or to the 2013 run.

I'm not just talking about 3 point shooting percentage, either. Danny being able to hit a couple of in-between shots every game would be a huge boost (we lost a crucial game by 1 in which Danny was 0-3 from 2 point range. Go figure).

Tully365
07-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Looking at what guys are getting this year in free agency, Danny's 10mil looks extremely reasonable...

Having had Ginobili all these years has made it easy for Spurs' fans to expect extreme versatility from the SG position-- he's a better passer than most PGs, and was an all-star level talent coming off the bench... I think this contributes to our seeing Green's faults of poor ballhandling, passing, etc... He's really much more like Bowen than Ginobili, which at a fair salary is a pretty good situation.

I definitely expect him to be back up in the 38-42% range in 3ptFG% next season.

Chinook
07-01-2016, 12:27 PM
:lol He didn't put up 2 par (offensive) games in a row in which he took more than one total shot.
That's a completely arbitrary metric. And he did, but you are trying to add his two-pointers to the discussion, which makes this even more arbitrary. The dude's had like seven good games front inside the arc in his whole career.

peacemaker885
07-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Looking at what guys are getting this year in free agency, Danny's 10mil looks extremely reasonable...

Having had Ginobili all these years has made it easy for Spurs' fans to expect extreme versatility from the SG position-- he's a better passer than most PGs, and was an all-star level talent coming off the bench... I think this contributes to our seeing Green's faults of poor ballhandling, passing, etc... He's really much more like Bowen than Ginobili, which at a fair salary is a pretty good situation.

I definitely expect him to be back up in the 38-42% range in 3ptFG% next season.

Yep. Looks like Danny is under a rookie contract. I think Pop lay off him last year, hence his sub par performance.

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 12:48 PM
That's a completely arbitrary metric. And he did, but you are trying to add his two-pointers to the discussion, which makes this even more arbitrary. The dude's had like seven good games front inside the arc in his whole career.

Show 2 games in which he shot over 40% consecutively in this year's run?

I'll wait.

We can even his Danny's par TS%, which is 571 for his career, and you won't find it.

Sorry, he was very inconsistent these playoffs offensively, detrimentally so, imo.

Chinook
07-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Show 2 games in which he shot over 40% consecutively in this year's run?

According to you, his second and third games are "par" games (both at or over 1ppp). Those are both credible efficiency games, but of course, you're trying to twist evidence to meet your point, so you're changing what you mean by "par" midstream.

We can even his Danny's par TS%, which is 571 for his career, and you won't find it.

It's not strange to not be consistently above average. In fact, it's illogical to assume as much. You're going to be above and below it to about equal degrees. That's why it's an average.

Sorry, he was very inconsistent these playoffs offensively, detrimentally so, imo.

The first thing here is that there isn't a single role-player/fourth option who should be able to swing a team's fortunes based on his consistency. Was anyone like, "OMG the Thunder can't win if Waiters doesn't step up?" No. It's not Green's job to bail out his team offensively. When he does it, great. When he's being hounding to where he doesn't get to shoot more than 1-3 times, that's fine, too. That he can even be a large part of a defensive game-plan despite not even getting consistent touches is amazing.

You keeping trying to argue a strawman. We all know Green wasn't consistently dropping double-digits on teams this year. He didn't solidfy himself as a reliable scoring option, hence why I'm in the minority that want an offensive guard or scoring four over roll-men. But what he did do was raise his TS% by almost 20 points over his regular-season performance. How you consider that to not stepping up in the playoffs is beyond me.

LASToog36
07-01-2016, 01:14 PM

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 01:18 PM
According to you, his second and third games are "par" games (both at or over 1ppp). Those are both credible efficiency games, but of course, you're trying to twist evidence to meet your point, so you're changing what you mean by "par" midstream.

It's not strange to not be consistently above average. In fact, it's illogical to assume as much. You're going to be above and below it to about equal degrees. That's why it's an average.

The first thing here is that there isn't a single role-player/fourth option who should be able to swing a team's fortunes based on his consistency. Was anyone like, "OMG the Thunder can't win if Waiters doesn't step up?" No. It's not Green's job to bail out his team offensively. When he does it, great. When he's being hounding to where he doesn't get to shoot more than 1-3 times, that's fine, too. That he can even be a large part of a defensive game-plan despite not even getting consistent touches is amazing.

You keeping trying to argue a strawman. We all know Green wasn't consistently dropping double-digits on teams this year. He didn't solidfy himself as a reliable scoring option, hence why I'm in the minority that want an offensive guard or scoring four over roll-men. But what he did do was raise his TS% by almost 20 points over his regular-season performance. How you consider that to not stepping up in the playoffs is beyond me.

:lol The Danny Defense Force is in full riot gear, I see.

You're right in that I haven't come up with a criteria of what a "par offensive game" actually is from Danny, and I think any criteria would obviously be subjective, but not even using any specific criteria, just a quick comparison between his 2014 and 2016 runs shows a much more consistent and dangerous player, and one who didn't necessarily "swing the team's fortunes." He was just solidly effective (with a few outstanding games by role player standards).

And that 2014 performance is what got him that contract.

"Oh, 2014 was anomaly."

Check out his 2013 run. Similar consistency.

His regular season TS% was such a low bar, it had nowhere to go but up. I also already illustrated the flaw in only consider total averages and not looking how those averages were produced. Would you rather have a 25ppg player who gives you 25 each game? Or a 25ppg player who scores 50 this game and 0 the next? Over the long term, the former player will win your team more games.

Chinook
07-01-2016, 01:44 PM
:lol The Danny Defense Force is in full riot gear, I see.

Thinking ad homenims make you stronger.

You're right in that I haven't come up with a criteria of what a "par offensive game" actually is from Danny, and I think any criteria would obviously be subjective, but not even using any specific criteria, just a quick comparison between his 2014 and 2016 runs shows a much more consistent and dangerous player, and one who didn't necessarily "swing the team's fortunes." He was just solidly effective (with a few outstanding games by role player standards).

This is just a non-sequitur. We know Green didn't play as well between May 2015 - April 2016 as he did from May 2014 to April 2015. That's obvious. What does that have to do with anything? Instead of arguing against fake assertion, why don't you address the real ones? And he totally swung the team in games in 2014. Who's trying to hide behind numbers now?

And that 2014 performance is what got him that contract.

A bit, but not really. His regular-season performance in 2014-2015 did it more. Dude was putting up top-40 production that season. Had the Spurs missed the playoffs that season, Green would be making $15-17 Million somewhere else now. If anything, having four poor-shooting games in 2015 got him that contract.

His regular season TS% was such a low bar, it had nowhere to go but up. I also already illustrated the flaw in only consider total averages and not looking how those averages were produced. Would you rather have a 25ppg player who gives you 25 each game? Or a 25ppg player who scores 50 this game and 0 the next? Over the long term, the former player will win your team more games.

For a second option? The former. For a fourth option? The latter. You shouldn't lose a series because your fourth option can't get you 15 a night. But you'll win almost any game when your fourth option drops 30 on the other team. Again, you're just proving why this thread's premise was stupid. You rate Green extremely highly -- more than most of his supporters do. You expect more of him that you are warranted to.

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Thinking ad homenims make you stronger.

This is just a non-sequitur. We know Green didn't play as well between May 2015 - April 2016 as he did from May 2014 to April 2015. That's obvious. What does that have to do with anything? Instead of arguing against fake assertion, why don't you address the real ones? And he totally swung the team in games in 2014. Who's trying to hide behind numbers now?

A bit, but not really. His regular-season performance in 2014-2015 did it more. Dude was putting up top-40 production that season. Had the Spurs missed the playoffs that season, Green would be making $15-17 Million somewhere else now. If anything, having four poor-shooting games in 2015 got him that contract.

For a second option? The former. For a fourth option? The latter. You shouldn't lose a series because your fourth option can't get you 15 a night. But you'll win almost any game when your fourth option drops 30 on the other team. Again, you're just proving why this thread's premise was stupid. You rate Green extremely highly -- more than most of his supporters do. You expect more of him that you are warranted to.

What I thought you implied with "swing the team's fortunes" was you think I want Danny playing like a fringe superstar offensively. He was nowhere near that level in 2014, obviously, but was still solidly consistent in a manner expected of good role players. That's all I ask from him. Nothing Danny did in 2013 and 2014 was anomalous relative to his talent.

I don't want 15 per night. I simply want 2013/14 Danny and regular season 2015 Danny. You have your Danny fanboy glasses on too tight if you think he was playing at or near that level these playoffs. And again, I don't care about his overall numbers. He propped up his numbers with 2 great performances.

Do I think he was the primary reason we lost the series? No. But I don't think he was up to par, either. And a par Danny gets us through that round.

Chinook
07-01-2016, 02:10 PM
What I thought you implied with "swing the team's fortunes" was you think I want Danny playing like a fringe superstar offensively. He was nowhere near that level in 2014, obviously, but was still solidly consistent in a manner expected of good role players. That's all I ask from him. Nothing Danny did in 2013 and 2014 was anomalous relative to his talent.

This is the same damned strawman repeated over and over again. Since when do people have to constantly repeat their best playoff performance of their careers to keep from being 'detrimentally inconsistent'? You need to come up with a standard and stick to it. From what I see, Green had two exception shooting games, four adequate ones, one meh game and three incomplete games. That's fine. VERY fine for a guy who's supposed to be behind so many people.

I don't want 15 per night. I simply want 2013/14 Danny and regular season 2015 Danny. You have your Danny fanboy glasses on too tight if you think he was playing at or near that level these playoffs. And again, I don't care about his overall numbers. He propped up his numbers with 2 great performances.

This was once again shown to be false. If you take out the two best and two worst (which is standard data management), then he still shot 42 percent from deep. Even if you leave the two worst in there, he shot 40 percent from deep. There's just no way you can keep justifying this line of reasoning.

Do I think he was the primary reason we lost the series? No. But I don't think he was up to par, either. And a par Danny gets us through that round.

And that shows how highly you rate him. Why aren't you saying that about Mills or Diaw?

Seventyniner
07-01-2016, 05:01 PM
The only way I'd be okay with the Spurs trading Green is if they get Durant.

BillMc
07-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Danny is so unbelievably valuable for the money in the current market it really should be impossible to complain.

midnightpulp
07-01-2016, 07:57 PM
This is the same damned strawman repeated over and over again. Since when do people have to constantly repeat their best playoff performance of their careers to keep from being 'detrimentally inconsistent'? You need to come up with a standard and stick to it. From what I see, Green had two exception shooting games, four adequate ones, one meh game and three incomplete games. That's fine. VERY fine for a guy who's supposed to be behind so many people.

This was once again shown to be false. If you take out the two best and two worst (which is standard data management), then he still shot 42 percent from deep. Even if you leave the two worst in there, he shot 40 percent from deep. There's just no way you can keep justifying this line of reasoning.

And that shows how highly you rate him. Why aren't you saying that about Mills or Diaw?

Because after Danny repeating his 2013 playoff run with another good run validated him, and it was expected he perform near that level from then on. Those games never came in-a-row, which is the point I'm trying to make to you that you keep ignoring. Anyhow, comparing Danny to similar players like JJ Redick (.558TS% [playoffs]) and Kyle Korver (.578%), I think a par shooting performance for a player of this type would be around .550. Again, Danny didn't put two games together in-a-row in which he shot that number. Let's compare his consistency to Kyle Korver's this season, which is a good comparison since both players played the same amount of playoff games.

Kyle:

http://i.imgur.com/dWZXtWr.png

Danny:

http://i.imgur.com/yjblVKk.png

I threw out Danny's game in which he only took 1 shot. Kyle also had a game in which he took only one shot, but he missed the attempt. As you can see, Kyle was much more consistent and even had a streak where he shot north of .800TS in 4 out of 5 games. Danny didn't come close to that type of consistency. And for overall consistency that doesn't consider streaks, Kyle met or exceeded "par" in 6 out of 9 games (dismissing his 1 shot attempt game), while Danny met or exceeded par in 4 out 9 games.

Key phrase. "From deep." I'm considering his overall shooting percentage. In his prior runs, he was much better finishing in-between. He shot 0 PERCENT from 10-16 feet this season in the playoffs. In 2014, he shot over 50% (and in both cases, he took a similar amount shots).

I would say Danny had a slightly below average run, which would define it as "detrimental" in my book (I think average Danny wins us the series). But he was only a small part of the equation. Our bench was the primary culprit, as I've stated numerous times on here. Duncan breaking down at the wrong time was also a key factor.

poeticism707
07-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Because after Danny repeating his 2013 playoff run with another good run validated him, and it was expected he perform near that level from then on. Those games never came in-a-row, which is the point I'm trying to make to you that you keep ignoring. Anyhow, comparing Danny to similar players like JJ Redick (.558TS% [playoffs]) and Kyle Korver (.578%), I think a par shooting performance for a player of this type would be around .550. Again, Danny didn't put two games together in-a-row in which he shot that number. Let's compare his consistency to Kyle Korver's this season, which is a good comparison since both players played the same amount of playoff games.

Kyle:

http://i.imgur.com/dWZXtWr.png

Danny:

http://i.imgur.com/yjblVKk.png

I threw out Danny's game in which he only took 1 shot. Kyle also had a game in which he took only one shot, but he missed the attempt. As you can see, Kyle was much more consistent and even had a streak where he shot north of .800TS in 4 out of 5 games. Danny didn't come close to that type of consistency. And for overall consistency that doesn't consider streaks, Kyle met or exceeded "par" in 6 out of 9 games (dismissing his 1 shot attempt game), while Danny met or exceeded par in 4 out 9 games.

Key phrase. "From deep." I'm considering his overall shooting percentage. In his prior runs, he was much better finishing in-between. He shot 0 PERCENT from 10-16 feet this season in the playoffs. In 2014, he shot over 50% (and in both cases, he took a similar amount shots).

I would say Danny had a slightly below average run, which would define it as "detrimental" in my book (I think average Danny wins us the series). But he was only a small part of the equation. Our bench was the primary culprit, as I've stated numerous times on here. Duncan breaking down at the wrong time was also a key factor.

Agree with all points.

Real shooters will always EMBARRASS DG.

tonight...you
07-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Danny is so unbelievably valuable for the money in the current market it really should be impossible to complain.
Even though, I too, complain about his consistency, what you say is now so very true.
He's an amazing value right now. There's no way he should be traded off unless there's a sureshot improvement to the team involved (i.e. Durant).

Obstructed_View
07-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Danny Green's defense is vastly overrated, as he's not nearly as good a defender as Bruce Bowen was, but even if he hadn't taken a discount, which allowed the Spurs to get Aldridge, his contract would be a huge fucking bargain for what he produces. He had a disappointing regular season, but he was kick ass in the playoffs, and if everyone else had stepped up the way he did, there's no telling how far they would have advanced.

Ice009
07-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Well, after thinking about it for a bit now that the season is over, I'm not as mad as I was with Danny during the season. He didn't have a great year overall, but he's not supposed to carry the Spurs. The NBA is a superstar's league and you need Superstars to step and be great in order to win - I kind of lost sight of that due to the 2014 season.

Danny didn't fail the Spurs at all. He's a role player and did what he could (even stepping up a bit and playing better in the playoffs than he did during the regular season). It's not up to him to carry the Spurs to playoff wins. It was up to Kawhi and LMA to step up and do the heavy lifting, but unfortunately, they both got outplayed by Westbrook and Durant, and that pretty much cost them the series.. It's much more on them that it is on Danny Green. Both could have stepped up with the game on the line in game 4 and 5, but neither did.

Mikeanaro
07-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Well, after thinking about it for a bit now that the season is over, I'm not as mad as I was with Danny during the season. He didn't have a great year overall, but he's not supposed to carry the Spurs. The NBA is a superstar's league and you need Superstars to step and be great in order to win - I kind of lost sight of that due to the 2014 season.

Danny didn't fail the Spurs at all. He's a role player and did what he could (even stepping up a bit and playing better in the playoffs than he did during the regular season). It's not up to him to carry the Spurs to playoff wins. It was up to Kawhi and LMA to step up and do the heavy lifting, but unfortunately, they both got outplayed by Westbrook and Durant, and that pretty much cost them the series.. It's much more on them that it is on Danny Green. Both could have stepped up with the game on the line in game 4 and 5, but neither did.

So barnes and livinston stepped up for GS and they are role players, nobody espects role players to save every game but they have to be around the game, especially our supposed best bench of the nba.
How can you put lamarcus and kiwi to the same level than scrubby green, those 2 cant make everything this is the west.

Ice009
07-02-2016, 02:25 AM
So barnes and livinston stepped up for GS and they are role players, nobody espects role players to save every game but they have to be around the game, especially our supposed best bench of the nba.
How can you put lamarcus and kiwi to the same level than scrubby green, those 2 cant make everything this is the west.

Answer this question - Did LMA and Kawhi get outplayed by Westbrook and Durant?

If both of your superstars get outplayed by the other team's superstars throughout a series, you're not likely to win that series. It doesn't matter how good your role players play, as they can't save you all the time. Role players aren't capable of doing it consistently - that's why they are role players, so if your superstars are getting outplayed, you're not likely to win.

I'd only blame the role players if Kawhi and LMA both outplayed Westbrook and Durant and still lost the series, then I would start looking at the role players for blame.

midnightpulp
07-02-2016, 04:10 AM

If both of your superstars get outplayed by the other team's superstars throughout a series, you're not likely to win that series. It doesn't matter how good your role players play, as they can't save you all the time. Role players aren't capable of doing it consistently - that's why they are role players, so if your superstars are getting outplayed, you're not likely to win.

I'd only blame the role players if Kawhi and LMA both outplayed Westbrook and Durant and still lost the series, then I would start looking at the role players for blame.

Kawhi and LMA are still not on the level of the Westbrook/KD as a 1-2 punch. The Spurs advantage was supposed to be our deep bench.

Also didn't help that Duncan's last wheel fell off during the series. He had the worst playoff series of his career.

-21-
07-02-2016, 04:19 AM
Thing is, either he's incredibly overrated by his supporters or he's criminally underrated by his haters. Yes, he can't dribble or make layups but Danny is a role player and for the most part, he's played his role extremely well. At his best, he's one of the best shooters AND defenders in the league. He had a bit of trouble adjusting to the new offense last season but he stepped up in the playoffs. His shooting will probably be better next season having more chemistry with the LMA/Kawhi-centric offense.

Ice009
07-02-2016, 04:33 AM
Kawhi and LMA are still not on the level of the Westbrook/KD as a 1-2 punch. The Spurs advantage was supposed to be our deep bench.

Also didn't help that Duncan's last wheel fell off during the series. He had the worst playoff series of his career.

It was supposed to be, but the bench never came through, and I think that is why you can't reply on winning by committee like the Spurs tried to do last season. You need your superstars to step up and be consistent. Hoping role players step up all the time isn't likely to win you many Championships. 2014 was amazing, but I'm not sure how repeatable that is.

I honestly feel that TD was injured and never regained his form. I don't know if he finished the season off with the knee injury still lingering, but I don't think it was due to decline. If that knee is alright now and can be rehabbed, I really do hope that he comes back this upcoming season. I don't think his play in the playoffs had anything to do with him declining like some people here have said.

Mikeanaro
07-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Outplayed? with Durant shooting 8/21 and Westrook 5/18?
Every time Durant had a good game Westbrook shot bricks and vice versa, still they won those games.

This wasnt about superstars, it was about a team, guys like Roberson stepping up and Steven Adams getting rebounds and scoring, Waiters scoring 17 points.
Great now its on the superstars, LMA scored 41 points and DG was 3/11, Duncan 1/8, Parker 3/9, Mills 2/9, West 3/8 but no LMA and Kiwi must carry the team.
What are you 5?

And so far if my memory doesnt fail WE GOT REFJOBBED TWICE AT HOME so this series is a very bad example about winning or even losing.

Mikeanaro
07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Thing is, either he's incredibly overrated by his supporters or he's criminally underrated by his haters. Yes, he can't dribble or make layups but Danny is a role player and for the most part, he's played his role extremely well. At his best, he's one of the best shooters AND defenders in the league. He had a bit of trouble adjusting to the new offense last season but he stepped up in the playoffs. His shooting will probably be better next season having more chemistry with the LMA/Kawhi-centric offense.

He is not one of the best shooters of the league, every GSW player has better shots than DG, he stepped up in the playoffs? 2 good games and 8 horrible is stepping up?
Uncontested shots have nothing to do with chemistry or new offense.