PDA

View Full Version : 76ers: 70's ball

apalisoc_9
06-29-2016, 02:30 PM
When dribbling with your heads up was imaginary.

Pelicans78
06-29-2016, 02:34 PM
70s Kareem would still dominate today.

JoeTait75
06-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Knock it all you want, but the late '70s were the most competitive and parity-driven the NBA has ever been. You could win 40-some games, squeeze into the playoffs, get hot and play for a championship.

Darth_Pelican
06-29-2016, 02:46 PM

And Pistol Pete is still probably the best ball handler and passer of all time.

lebomb
06-29-2016, 03:14 PM
When dribbling with your heads up was imaginary.

...........and teams with 5 SGs chucking up 25 shots a game each from 3pt line distance was unheard of.

:depressed Todays NBA

apalisoc_9
06-29-2016, 03:31 PM
And Pistol Pete is still probably the best ball handler and passer of all time.

:lmao

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Ft56PoZSz3k

:lol

lefty
06-29-2016, 03:45 PM
:lol today's NBA retro videos

SquawkinHawkBigCock
06-29-2016, 04:51 PM
...........and teams with 5 SGs chucking up 25 shots a game each from 3pt line distance was unheard of.

:depressed Todays NBA
Today's NBA :lol

Kawhitstorm
06-29-2016, 05:37 PM

70s Moses would have Cousins begging for his mom.:lol

Kawhitstorm
06-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Ft56PoZSz3k

ABA > 70s NBA

k6OsKy1c5A0

Kawhitstorm
06-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Knock it all you want, but the late '70s were the most competitive and parity-driven the NBA has ever been. You could win 40-some games, squeeze into the playoffs, get hot and play for a championship.

Parity was achieved in the 70s b/c a majority of the top black athletes were in the ABA.:lol (Magic would have ended up in the ABA if it wasn't for the merger)

JoeTait75
06-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Parity was achieved in the 70s b/c a majority of the top black athletes were in the ABA.:lol (Magic would have ended up in the ABA if it wasn't for the merger)

I'm talking about the first years after the merger, too- '77, '78, '79. In 1976-77, the first year after the merger, the best record in the NBA was 53-29 (Lakers.) In '78 a 44-win team (Bullets) beat a 47-win team (Sonics) in the Finals. Very, very competitive.

baseline bum
06-29-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm talking about the first years after the merger, too- '77, '78, '79. In 1976-77, the first year after the merger, the best record in the NBA was 53-29 (Lakers.) In '78 a 44-win team (Bullets) beat a 47-win team (Sonics) in the Finals. Very, very competitive.

78 wouldn't have been a competitive season at all if Walton didn't break his foot though. The Blazers were something like 50-10 until then.

lefty
06-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Parity died when Stern took over

Kawhitstorm
06-29-2016, 07:44 PM
78 wouldn't have been a competitive season at all if Walton didn't break his foot though. The Blazers were something like 50-10 until then.

JoeTait75
06-29-2016, 07:48 PM

That's true. Portland looked to be on the verge of a dynasty before Walton got hurt. After he got hurt it fell apart fast up there. Within a year of two of the Blazers winning the title Walton, Maurice Lucas and Lionel Hollins- the three best players on that '77 team- were all playing (or not playing, in Walton's case) for other teams.

ambchang
06-29-2016, 08:06 PM
That's true. Portland looked to be on the verge of a dynasty before Walton got hurt. After he got hurt it fell apart fast up there. Within a year of two of the Blazers winning the title Walton, Maurice Lucas and Lionel Hollins- the three best players on that '77 team- were all playing (or not playing, in Walton's case) for other teams.

There was a lot of inviting though. The Blazers would have broken apart regardless.

apalisoc_9
06-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Ft56PoZSz3k

:lmao

Am i watching womans basketball contest?

midnightpulp
06-29-2016, 08:26 PM
I don't get the point of shitting on past eras? Evolution in sports doesn't just happen instantaneously, sprung from the proverbial head of Zeus. Without these past players paving the way, there is no modern game. And a lot of modern players, not having the benefit of modern training and knowledge, probably wouldn't have been NBA players in the league's formative years. Steph Curry is probably driving a truck or something if he was born in 1950. I mean, his jumpshot mechanics were pure shit when he was a kid (worse than those of 70's players), and if he was born without the advantage of being an NBA player's son and the additional advantage of modern training (there were no Chip Engellands in those days), he would've never changed his jumper most likely and flamed out of basketball in high-school.

baseline bum
06-29-2016, 08:33 PM

I wish there was video of the 78 team because I always hear how much better they were than the 77 team, and the 77 team played some of the most beautiful basketball I have ever seen. Walton could do everything. I always flip flop on the bigger what if: what if Walton stayed healthy vs what if prime Sabonis came to the NBA and never destroyed his knees. Those two have to be the most complete bigmen I have ever seen.

Down Under
06-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Oscar Robertson couldn't dribble with his left hand or his head up but he cause easily handle Curry with a full court press...

Will Hunting
06-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Wasn't it also an extremely unpopular time for the nba? I don't think people understand that the nba isn't like the nfl, it wouldn't do well with complete parity.

apalisoc_9
06-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Oscar Robertson couldn't dribble with his left hand or his head up but he cause easily handle Curry with a full court press...

Nigga wtf..Robertson would ve undrafted in todays nba.

midnightpulp
06-29-2016, 10:44 PM

And like I said, Curry is a truck driver or an accountant if he was born in 1950.

He had terrible mechanics as a kid, wasn't recruited out of high school, and has relatively poor natural athleticism, but he was able to overcome those obstacles through applied knowledge. They didn't have that luxury in the 60's. You practiced in your driveway or at the playground. No filming your jumpshot. No working with a Chip Engelland. No strength and conditioning coaches. No strobe technology. Etc, etc.

In many ways, I have more reverence for older players because they had to invent a lot of these techniques and such out of thin air. No army of coaches at some compound "teaching" it them.

lefty
06-30-2016, 12:26 AM
And like I said, Curry is a truck driver or an accountant if he was born in 1950.

He had terrible mechanics as a kid, wasn't recruited out of high school, and has relatively poor natural athleticism, but he was able to overcome those obstacles through applied knowledge. They didn't have that luxury in the 60's. You practiced in your driveway or at the playground. No filming your jumpshot. No working with a Chip Engelland. No strength and conditioning coaches. No strobe technology. Etc, etc.

In many ways, I have more reverence for older players because they had to invent a lot of these techniques and such out of thin air. No army of coaches at some compound "teaching" it them.

Not bad

Down Under
06-30-2016, 06:59 AM
It was a pisstake of him saying teams don't know how to play defense today.

JoeTait75
06-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Wasn't it also an extremely unpopular time for the nba? I don't think people understand that the nba isn't like the nfl, it wouldn't do well with complete parity.

Yeah, that was around the time CBS started showing Finals games on tape-delay after the late local news.

ezau
07-01-2016, 03:50 AM

What a post, tbh.

-21-
07-01-2016, 04:19 AM
I don't get the point of shitting on past eras? Evolution in sports doesn't just happen instantaneously, sprung from the proverbial head of Zeus. Without these past players paving the way, there is no modern game. And a lot of modern players, not having the benefit of modern training and knowledge, probably wouldn't have been NBA players in the league's formative years. Steph Curry is probably driving a truck or something if he was born in 1950. I mean, his jumpshot mechanics were pure shit when he was a kid (worse than those of 70's players), and if he was born without the advantage of being an NBA player's son and the additional advantage of modern training (there were no Chip Engellands in those days), he would've never changed his jumper most likely and flamed out of basketball in high-school.

Truth bombs.

Splits
07-01-2016, 10:13 AM
todays nba.