PDA

View Full Version : Top five clutch players.

picnroll
10-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Who are the best clutch players in the NBA with the game on the line in the closing minute?

1. Manu - as rated by 82games.com. Gets it done in all ways. Three point shot, drive to the basket fo the 2 and often the and 1, make the perfect assist, get the critical steal or rebound, draw the charge. Nobody does it better.

2. Wade - Great at getting to the basket, making the tough shot or drawing the foul or both. Also makes the good interior passes on the drive. Not as likley to impact the game in the other areas that Manu does.

3. Amare - Get him the ball and step aside. Not the impact on the defensive side though.

4. Kobe - although he tends to force things and takeover himself rather than read the situation. Can impact rebounding and D but gambles a lot on D.

5. TMac - good but relies on the outside shot too much to get it done. Also can impact on both sides but not as much on D.

lilmads
10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I'd have to take Kobe off and replace him with Iverson maybe... or even Nash...
The rest belong there in that precise order

Spurminator
10-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Honorable Mention should go to Chauncey Billups.

Horry For 3!
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Players that are in the NBA now?

Because best clutch player ever for me would be Michael Jordan.

TOP-CHERRY
10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Nick Van Exel... guys?

Horry For 3!
10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
3. Amare - Get him the ball and step aside. Not the impact on the defensive side though.
He is no where near clutch, I remember many of times, he would choke by missing a dunk when the Suns really needed it.

thispego
10-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Players that are in the NBA now?

Because best clutch player ever for me would be Michael Jordan.
REaLlY??!!!!?!?!!?? :rolleyes

:lol

Horry For 3!
10-03-2005, 03:20 PM
REaLlY??!!!!?!?!!?? :rolleyes

:lol
:flipoff

JamStone
10-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Has 82games.com heard of that one guy ... ummmmm ... what's his name ... oh yeah, ROBERT HORRY???

picnroll
10-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Has 82games.com heard of that one guy ... ummmmm ... what's his name ... oh yeah, ROBERT HORRY???
How did Horry get the open look for the three at the end in game five?

How did Duncan get the layup to clse out the Seattle series?

Medvedenko
10-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Sad...manu over Kobe....
Who has hit bigger shots and created bigger plays in the playoffs in the last 6 years. Kobe that is....sorry kids, your Manu homerism is at an all-time high.

nkdlunch
10-03-2005, 04:32 PM
your Manu homerism is at an all-time high.

no shit Sherlock. This is a Spurs forum and we're the champs.

picnroll
10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Kobe wants the glory. Manu wants the win. The glory impairs Kobe's judgement. No way I'd rather have the ball in Kobe's rather than Manu's hands with the clock winding down.

manubili
10-03-2005, 05:02 PM
5 - Horry

smeagol
10-03-2005, 05:10 PM
sorry kids, your Manu homerism is at an all-time high.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

True, we are Manu homers, but you are a Kobe homer yourself

Sad...manu over Kobe....
Who has hit bigger shots and created bigger plays in the playoffs in the last 6 years. Kobe that is....

So, what's the big deal?

sa_butta
10-03-2005, 05:21 PM
This one has Duncan at #1 and Horry at #10
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-s-most-clutch-players-article-22419.html

Obstructed_View
10-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Ridiculous list IMHO. Manu gets some credit for having a ring, but he suddenly forgets how to shoot free throws at the end of a close game. Kobe and McGrady are good at jacking up threes when they are down big, but I've seen Michael Finley do that a number of times, too. Manu's shot selection is better than Kobe's or TMac's. Nash should get more consideration than Amare, whose only clutch play in the playoffs was a great block against Duncan. Wade - once again, the overrating continues. As with Amare, he's way too young to put on this list.

Though people don't like him, Mike Bibby hits clutch shots, and he does it in big games. Robert Horry seems only to care about clutch shots when it's in the playoffs, but he deserves a mention. Stephen Jackson had ice in his veins when he was here, though I haven't paid much attention to him since.

Here's my homer vote: Duncan. His free throws are either on or off. The time of the game makes no difference. Manu benefits from Duncan more than Duncan benefits from Manu.

As an all-timer, Jordan was good in the clutch, but West and Larry Joe were better. I'd place Magic and Isiah above him as well.

phyzik
10-03-2005, 05:50 PM
all time NBA clutch player.... you cant forget Larry Legend.

Phenomanul
10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
This one has Duncan at #1 and Horry at #10
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-s-most-clutch-players-article-22419.html

That article was written before Manu verified his own clutch status.... during the Denver series....

Obstructed_View
10-04-2005, 12:57 AM
all time NBA clutch player.... you cant forget Larry Legend.Who do you think I was referring to when I said "Larry Joe"? :)

DesiSpur_21
10-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Kobe, Manu, AI, Dwyane, TMAC.

phyzik
10-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Who do you think I was referring to when I said "Larry Joe"? :)

bah, your avatar of Timmy D. with a huge Affro distracted me from that part of your post. Besides that, I never knew him by that nickname. I've only known Larry Bird as:

Larry Legend
Big bird
Tarzan
and The Basketball Jesus (dont ask me where that one came from)

I honestly feel supremely sorry for the other NBA and Spurs Fans that never got to see this man play, be it because they where to young or to disinterested at the time.

The guy was just simply phenomenal. If you get a chance to watch any of his games on TV, take the time and watch some true pure basketball.

ZStomp
10-04-2005, 04:08 AM
bah, your avatar of Timmy D. with a huge Affro distracted me from that part of your post.

My avatar is real and better. :)

SLOVENIAN 8
10-04-2005, 04:17 AM
Mj

Chris
10-04-2005, 05:52 AM
1.MJ
2.Horry
3.Bird
4.Duncan
5.Magic

1Parker1
10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Kobe, Manu, AI, Dwyane, TMAC.

:tu

z0sa
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry but Kobe is one clutch mofo... I'd have to give him the number 1 spot. Hes the best finisher in the league right now.

MiNuS
10-04-2005, 03:25 PM
someone mentioned Duncan as a clutch player.

I don't think so. Manu and Horry are clutch but not Duncan.IMO

batman2883
10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Duncan has made some clutch shots, lets not forget,
that .4 fiasco, he made that clutch shot to force that short amount of time for DF to throw up a bs shot that shouldnt have counted, then this year,
he made that shot over seattle in the clutch, duncan is a clutch player

z0sa
10-04-2005, 03:31 PM
LOL Duncan isn't clutch?

Anytime the game is on the line, I want the ball in Duncan's hands. I think that qualifies as "clutch"

I think if Derek Fisher wouldn't have hit the 0.4 shot, Duncan's shot at the end over Shaq (it was funny shaq saying "one lucky shot deserves another" considering Duncan shot over shaq and made it - its obvious shaq was just crying duncan made it over him) would have gone down infamously as one of the most clutch shots in NBA history. At least thats my opinion. Kind of like Horry's shot against the Kings when he was with the Lakers.

MiNuS
10-04-2005, 03:36 PM
IMO, I don't consider him the ultimate clutch top 5 player.

JMIO.