PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking the draft: Murray vs Jones

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 09:33 PM
We had 2 major holes - PG and C - and could only attempt to plug one with #29.

Is anyone disappointed that we took Murray over Damian Jones? He's the athletic kind of big our roster lacks.

Or should we have traded for #31 and #35 to take Davis or Diallo and someone else?

Thoughts?

thispego
06-29-2016, 09:34 PM
Thoughts? Your handle is gay as fuck :lol

TimDunkem
06-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Lmfao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 09:37 PM

Wow, you haven't said that before... not. :rolleyes

I tried to change it but Kori/LJ/Bruno wouldn't let me. What else can I do?

spurs1990
06-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Surely those draft and stash Europeans, or those 1st rounders they've picked the fast few drafts, all of them big guys who can move....surely there's a couple who will end up stateside this fall...?

From the looks of what the tape shows, Murray was a hard talent to pass up.
A possible multi-year solution at one of the guard positions.

Snaq O'Meal
06-29-2016, 09:45 PM

Is anyone disappointed that we took Murray over Damian Jones? He's the athletic kind of big our roster lacks.

Or should we have traded for #31 and #35 to take Davis or Diallo and someone else?

Thoughts?

I was glad the Spurs did NOT pick Jones. He's too much like Mahinmi in his lack of feel for the game. Just look at how he fared when he played against someone with size and talent in AJ Hammons. It wasn't pretty. One can hope he'll improve, but he hasn't shown much of that in college.

Murray was probably the "safest" pick if PATFO were swinging for the fences due to his supposed upside, but I was really hoping they picked Malcolm Brogdon who is just as versatile, is far more disciplined and is NBA-ready.

raybies
06-29-2016, 09:45 PM
The only player at the time I thought might be better was Ivica Zubac. But a combo guard was more of a need. They basically said they took the best player available but I think they said that cause they didn't want to offend Parker. Yes Parker, we are looking for your replacement...

Mr. Body
06-29-2016, 09:47 PM
We already have centers in the pipeline, no PGs. Not convinced by Jones anyway.

Chinook
06-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Wanted Deyonta Davis. Was happy with Murray. Center was NOT a need for the draft. Milutinov is as good of a prospect as an center who was left.

pgardn
06-29-2016, 10:05 PM
RC stated Murray was one of the guys the Spurs would have moved up for.
The draft move up did not work. But Murray happily fell to us anyway.
I know RC is pleased.

Very athletic, very young, with bad habits the Spurs feel they can fix. Definitely not NBA ready. So the demise of Parker has not been solved

Sean Cagney
06-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Thoughts? Let them play a game first before we decide on who is better or who they should have drafted.

pgardn
06-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Thoughts? Let them play a game first before we decide on who is better or who they should have drafted.

Start a thread when that happens.

Meanwhile we's a speculatin.
Go on now, git.

thispego
06-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Wow, you haven't said that before... not. :rolleyes

I tried to change it but Kori/LJ/Bruno wouldn't let me. What else can I do?

:lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone (except pego). :tu

I don't get to watch a lot of college and was just wondering what people thought.

Wanted Deyonta Davis. Was happy with Murray. Center was NOT a need for the draft. Milutinov is as good of a prospect as an center who was left.

Yeah, Davis would have been a really nice pickup. I wonder if FO tried to get #31 but Grizz offered more?

Strategic
06-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Like the Spurs pick. As far as center goes, just heard D How is available for 100 mil.

tonight...you
06-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone (except pego). :tu

I don't get to watch a lot of college and was just wondering what people thought.

Yeah, Davis would have been a really nice pickup. I wonder if FO tried to get #31 but Grizz offered more?
All I can offer to your post is that I went back and STUDIED Milutinov and that guy could be somebody.
Not a franchise guy, but a Splitter. He has that want-to already with a tiny bit of polish which shows that he adheres to teaching. Edit: sprry- he shoes adherence to teaching

I think there's a chance he may stay on the team going into the RS. I know the team is conservative. but he does everything you want a madern day center to do and he does quickly and with instincts.

He may just be a year, or two more off, but he may just be what the Dr ordered also, given the chance.

Solid D
06-29-2016, 10:49 PM
It's a good question and interesting alternative scenario, Ruff. Murray has tremendous talent that jumps out and grabs your attention. I'm not sure the turnovers can be reined-in but that will be up to the player development staff and Dejounte's ability to grow and learn. I'm intrigued to see how his future plays out. He's a head-turner.

Also, we don't have much of a view behind the curtain to see what the Spurs FO has brewing in free agency and trade scenarios. I still remember Sam Presti with the Spurs working a 3-way trade with Sac and Indy where Danny Ferry signed up for his final year, was traded (Spurs received Hedo Turkoglu and Mercer) and then retired 2 months later before the season started and became a front office guy. That could happen with Timmy if he wants to retire. Now, the Turkoglu experiment didn't quite work out but it was initially exciting and was a really smart trade. Who knows? This may end up being a pretty nice offseason when all is said and done. 'Hope so!

Snaq O'Meal
06-29-2016, 10:50 PM
RC stated Murray was one of the guys the Spurs would have moved up for.
The draft move up did not work. But Murray happily fell to us anyway.
I know RC is pleased.

Very athletic, very young, with bad habits the Spurs feel they can fix. Definitely not NBA ready. So the demise of Parker has not been solved

As a player, Murray is more in the mould of Ginobili than Parker, i.e. with an unpredictable style and an ability to slash into the heart of a defence to either score or create for others. The Spurs have always found a way to overcome Parker's disappearance, but not Manu's.

If the Spurs intend to hang on to Parker, they may have already planned on working around his glaring weaknesses, such as benching him and trading defence for offence by throwing out a bunch of cheap 3-point shooters in Arcidiacono and Forbes such as when GSW inevitably makes Parker unplayable.

J_Paco
06-29-2016, 11:33 PM
The only player at the time I thought might be better was Ivica Zubac. But a combo guard was more of a need. They basically said they took the best player available but I think they said that cause they didn't want to offend Parker. Yes Parker, we are looking for your replacement...

Even though everyone has him pegged as Tony's successor, he could just as easily be the team's next starting SG or Manu's successor.

If his game is in fact like Jamal Crawford's then i would much rather see him playing the 2 and finding Tony's heir apparent elsewhere.

palangi
06-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Basketball is perimeter oriented. So having the chance to get an Elite PG trumps an elite big. I liked jones a lot too. But Murray has a lot of excitement about him too.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2016, 12:39 AM
It's a good question and interesting alternative scenario, Ruff. Murray has tremendous talent that jumps out and grabs your attention. I'm not sure the turnovers can be reined-in but that will be up to the player development staff and Dejounte's ability to grow and learn. I'm intrigued to see how his future plays out. He's a head-turner.

Also, we don't have much of a view behind the curtain to see what the Spurs FO has brewing in free agency and trade scenarios. I still remember Sam Presti with the Spurs working a 3-way trade with Sac and Indy where Danny Ferry signed up for his final year, was traded (Spurs received Hedo Turkoglu and Mercer) and then retired 2 months later before the season started and became a front office guy. That could happen with Timmy if he wants to retire. Now, the Turkoglu experiment didn't quite work out but it was initially exciting and was a really smart trade. Who knows? This may end up being a pretty nice offseason when all is said and done. 'Hope so!

Thanks Solid D. Nice to see you weighing in. :)

I remember the Hedo trade - thought it was excellent at the time - but then he rarely played well for us, and nor did Mercer, and that 2004 season ended in 0.4sec. Perhaps better forgotten! :lol

GSH
06-30-2016, 01:26 AM

LMAO... from the guy with the "Dub Nation" cartoon as his sig. :lol

Thoughts?

I watched Damian Jones play several games last season. The truth is, he's not very good at anything at this point, except being tall and having a pretty high-revving engine. He's going to have to put in some time in the weight room to be able to hold his own against NBA bigs, but that's pretty typical of bigs his age. But the worst thing is that he tore a pectoral muscle, and just had it operated on. From what I heard, he basically had an avulsion fracture - which is where the tendon is torn off the bone. (I guess it's technically only an avulsion fracture if it tears off a chunk of bone with it.) In his case, it sounds like the tendon may have torn off the bone cleanly. That's still a nasty little injury, and he's going to be doing some extended rehab. With all the pushing and pulling that goes on in the low post, a torn pec is something that has to completely heal before he starts wrestling with other giants.

I think he's got the athleticism, and probably the drive, to turn into a serviceable big. But it's not going to happen this season, and probably not next. The Spurs need some help in the middle sooner than that. I don't think you're wrong for wondering if he would have been good for the Spurs. I think he would - just not soon enough. His energy makes him look like he could be one of those kids who comes in and starts giving good minutes with the backups. But I think he would get lit up by veteran NBA bigs for a while. And that injury is going to keep him from proving anything, at least for a while.

GSH
06-30-2016, 01:47 AM

BTW - the one trade-up I wish the Spurs would have pulled off was for Denzel Valentine. I predicted he would go at #14, and that's exactly where he went. Some of the trade-ups to #2 or #3 that people were talking about were never realistic. But I think they could have gotten to 14.

I know everyone wants freakish athletes, but he would have been so good in the Spurs' system. To me, he's the one that got away this year. I don't know - maybe it would have been too costly to have gotten there, but I would have loved to see him in silver and black.

I was never sold on Diallo, and thought he was over-hyped. The Clippers traded him for a pair of second round picks - David Michineau and Diamond Stone.

DeRozan m8
06-30-2016, 02:26 AM
Not against this, main concern is Murrays lay ups look like they'd all get swatted in the NBA every fucking time, and it seems to be a big part of his game.

Haven't seen heaps of him tho

Snaq O'Meal
06-30-2016, 02:27 AM
BTW - the one trade-up I wish the Spurs would have pulled off was for Denzel Valentine. I predicted he would go at #14, and that's exactly where he went. Some of the trade-ups to #2 or #3 that people were talking about were never realistic. But I think they could have gotten to 14.

I know everyone wants freakish athletes, but he would have been so good in the Spurs' system. To me, he's the one that got away this year. I don't know - maybe it would have been too costly to have gotten there, but I would have loved to see him in silver and black.

I was never sold on Diallo, and thought he was over-hyped. The Clippers traded him for a pair of second round picks - David Michineau and Diamond Stone.

PATFO may have been put off by Valentine's inability to defend.

Anyway, the Spurs may have been eyeing Deandre Bembry, another guy who can play and defend positions 1 through 3.

Too bad the Hawks snagged him first.

Among the big men, no one particularly stood out. Poeltl may have been the highest ranked, but he struggled against elite size, and was even dominated by the smaller Sabonis. Jones, Diallo and Onuaku are extremely limited. Only Hammons have shown flashes of dominance on both ends, doing classic big man stuff and even stepping out to hit 3-pointers at a decent clip in his senior year. We'll see how he pans out with the Mavs.

SAGirl
06-30-2016, 03:08 AM
He was my guy. I thought he had enough flaws that he could have been realistically available at 29 and he was. Very early mock drafts had him in the 20-40 range... basically a risky kind of gamble scouts couldn't peg.

I liked him for the same reasons Spurs did apparently: amazing size and length for a PG position. PG of his generation are going to be tall with similar size, the Mudiay, Dangelo, Payton, Exum all athletic around 6'4"-6'5". He could match with the very young PG of his age. That was mega important for me. I almost would have taken him just on that and the fact he was 19, so young still. At the same time he rose in the mocks late bc this draft class was weak on guards. He was still younger than most PG this draft and had the ideal size. I thought some team would take a gamble earlier than our pick just on that.

The other thing I liked was just how crafty he was with his handles and he's got decent athleticism for the league, but I would lie if I didn't tell you what I liked the most were his youth and size, length.

The more I looked at him though, some things made me think he wasn't a "Spursy" pick. He had a reputation for being an inefficient chucker, bad shooter, forced over bad shots at times. Seemed very Russel Westbrooky in his decision making, the TO, but then more than anything, he wasn't a disciplined defender. Like not at all. I hope he fixes that and we don't have ourselves a Kevin Martin type. He had all the tools to be absolutely awesome defensively, but he wasn't bc he coasted at times and was unaware of things off the ball. Major red flag. So, a guy who goes for flair solo shit and who was coasting on defense, whose team didn't make the NCAA tournament despite having two draft picks in the first round, his big man partner going in the lottery... I don't know the closer the draft got, the more I thought the Spurs wouldn't be after him. There were more spursy guys ready to play like Malcolm Brogdon.

So for all my championing his case earlier, I was kind of surprised the Spurs picked him, but when he was picked I still thought he had talent you couldn't pass up. Like RC said, his youth, the ability to learn and grow, the ideal tools he has to play PG.. and when you consider our need... glad they took the risk. High risk but high reward type pick. Could end up being a real all-star in 5 years if he works hard on his game, his shot, etc. Or he could bust, but at 29 one can't complain at the odds he could be a difference maker in the future. He can't be compared at his age with guys like Valentine who are 22. He might far surpass him, or he might not. Glad they took the gamble though.

I didn't pay attention to the bigs in this draft so yea Murray was my pick. :flag:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2016, 06:27 AM
Top stuff GSH and SAGirl, thanks for the detail. :tu :)

Snaq - yeah, Valentine and Bembry look like perfect fits for the Spurs. Maybe one day.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2016, 11:13 AM

I could see something similar occurring this year as a real possibility.

Drafting a center is usually more of a gamble that late in the first round. I believe Murray was the right choice. I think we'll see some roster shake-up coming via trades over the coming weeks, hopefully with a more proven commodity in the middle as a result than we could have achieved by trying to fill that need through a draft pick.