PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are sacrificing their culture in pursuit of Durant

Southwest Texas Fan
06-30-2016, 01:54 PM
By Michael Erler  MichaelErlerSBN on Jun 29, 2016, 1:44a

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/6/29/12053548/spurs-are-sacrificing-their-culture-in-their-pursuit-of-durant

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Culture?? lol..

Floyd Pacquiao
06-30-2016, 02:11 PM
You mean the culture where banging your teammates wife and getting DWI's gets swept under the rug?

Spurs 4 The Win
06-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Didnt read the article but this guy can eat a dick. Its a win at all costs league. If we can buy a player then Im all for that. You ahve to earn a spot at the table to have the prestige to buy a player. It was a long road to have opportunities like this. We earned it.

DMC
06-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Spurs have a culture of drafting David and Tim first overall. Outside of that it's been catch as catch can and catch can't right now.

SPURt
06-30-2016, 02:17 PM
I think it is interesting to use the Jason Kidd pursuit in relation to the pursuit of Durant. What do the Spurs look like today if Kidd signs? Would it have truncated the development of Tony and Manu?

I worry the Spurs gave up depth to get LMA (Splitter, CoJo, Belli) and would need to gut the roster more to get Durant (some combo of Green, Bobo, Mills, Duncan, Manu, or Boban). Would Durant's presence turn Kawhi into something different then what he can be? Will one of Simmons, Boban, Anderson, Murray, or Bertans turn out to be something special out of necessity in Durant's absence? (I know many think they already know about Anderson)

I have zero hope the Spurs lure Durant away from OKC and I am excited to see what's behind door number 2. My favorite aspect of being a Spurs fan through the years is the development of players within the system.

Trainwreck2100
06-30-2016, 02:18 PM
You mean the culture where banging your teammates wife and getting DWI's gets swept under the rug?

swept under the rug? it's common knowledge,

Chinook
06-30-2016, 02:20 PM

To be fair, ST is kinda down there too.

GSH
06-30-2016, 02:29 PM
You worried he'll get to uppity? If he does, they can always trade him away like they did Paul George.

dabom
06-30-2016, 02:39 PM
This is why ptr sucks and is on a level of reddit. :lmao

BatManu20
06-30-2016, 02:40 PM
"How dare the Spurs try and improve via Free Agency like every other team. DRAFT ONLY!!!"

^There's the Cliffsnotes version of the article.

Budkin
06-30-2016, 02:44 PM
By Michael Erler  MichaelErlerSBN on Jun 29, 2016, 1:44a

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/6/29/12053548/spurs-are-sacrificing-their-culture-in-their-pursuit-of-durant

:lmao Pounding the Cock

Brazil
06-30-2016, 02:45 PM
:lol what a terrible article

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2016, 02:51 PM
:lol Today's "Built not bought" fans

Strategic
06-30-2016, 02:51 PM
That's funny, I haven't seen any quotes from PATFO detailing who is pursuing who.

dabom
06-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Someone should tell Pop he is ruining our culture. :depressed

dabom
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Those unwilling to change go extinct. Fact guys.

Chris
06-30-2016, 02:59 PM
It makes for a fascinating paradox. What made the Spurs unique is the success they achieved while building organically, with all their vital components picked up through the draft or off the free agent scrapheap, but now they're trying to leverage the capital that success has given to their reputation by trying to maintain it the way the Lakers or Yankees would -- by signing established, expensive stars.

^article in a nutshell. Comparing us to big market teams like the Lakers and Yankees makes their small minds feel better about their station.

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2016, 03:00 PM
:pop: Sacrificing the Spurs' culture? By signing Matty to a 3 year deal?

james evans
07-01-2016, 03:18 AM
we're fucked until parker leaves because Popovich doesn't have the balls to put his sorry ass on the bench when he's playing bad. We're fucked. 2 more years of 2nd round exits until he can get that contract offf the books. Enjoy the ride until then.

Sean Cagney
07-01-2016, 03:28 AM
I think it is interesting to use the Jason Kidd pursuit in relation to the pursuit of Durant. What do the Spurs look like today if Kidd signs? Would it have truncated the development of Tony and Manu?

I worry the Spurs gave up depth to get LMA (Splitter, CoJo, Belli) and would need to gut the roster more to get Durant (some combo of Green, Bobo, Mills, Duncan, Manu, or Boban). Would Durant's presence turn Kawhi into something different then what he can be? Will one of Simmons, Boban, Anderson, Murray, or Bertans turn out to be something special out of necessity in Durant's absence? (I know many think they already know about Anderson)

I have zero hope the Spurs lure Durant away from OKC and I am excited to see what's behind door number 2. My favorite aspect of being a Spurs fan through the years is the development of players within the system.Splitter was no loss at all and he cant stay healthy tbh. Cojo is replaceable but I did like Bellis shooting, that is missed a little bit.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Not sure what the article is saying seeing as about 90% of it is defending and explaining why exactly the Spurs have changed their modus operandi. They're not sacrificing anything.

Thomas82
07-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Didnt read the article but this guy can eat a dick. Its a win at all costs league. If we can buy a player then Im all for that. You ahve to earn a spot at the table to have the prestige to buy a player. It was a long road to have opportunities like this. We earned it.

Yes.......and AMEN!!

sasaint
07-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Spurs have a culture of drafting David and Tim first overall. Outside of that it's been catch as catch can and catch can't right now.

The Truth.

benefactor
07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
:lmao Pounding the Cock

TheDoctor
07-01-2016, 09:33 AM
LMAO Pounding the Cock never disappoints when it comes to shitty articles.

Sad thing is those mfers are so brain-washed that you can hear a collective "Yeeeesss Maaasteeeeer".

cjw
07-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Emo article

Spurs remain shrewd and are NOT like these big market teams (and some small market teams too) with massive overpays. Instead, they saw value last season in getting guys locked up before the cap skyrocketed and also got lucky with LMA (if not him, would have found others on reasonable deals). Yes, Parker is overpaid looking back but not compared to new deals getting signed and that's a career achievement award contract and only has 2 years left.

If LMA, Kawhi and Green had all been locked in this summer, they probably take another $10 million off the cap.

Splits
07-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Built Splitter: 1
Bought Aldridge: 0

Tully365
07-01-2016, 11:54 AM
It wasn't against the Spurs' philosophy to sign big name free agents in the past-- it just never worked out until last season when LMA decided to join them. I'm pretty sure Jason Kidd rethinks his decision to not join the Spurs in free agency regularly-- it was a really bad decision from a basketball standpoint and easily deprived him of a few championship rings. A smart FO will do anything necessary to improve a team, whether through the draft, through trades, through development, or through free agency.

K...
07-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Uh without a hall of fame talent, built ain't shit. Don't think pop needs to learn that the hard way

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Tbh...you won't find many people, if any outside of the diehard Spur fan that know about those things...

BillMc
07-01-2016, 01:43 PM
As long as we don't sacrifice Bonner.... no scenes from the Wicker Man for Matty....

Obstructed_View
07-01-2016, 05:02 PM
This article is a setup so that when the Spurs don't get him, these people can say, "well, it's for the best."

I expect Pop and RC to welcome KD to the meeting, say, "You need to go back to OKC. We'll see you next year. Anything you want to talk about with the rest of your time?"

DMC
07-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Splitter was the Euroleague MVP already

Spurtacular
07-01-2016, 10:37 PM
This is why ptr sucks and is on a level of reddit. :lmao

That's what; five levels above you?

Sean Cagney
07-02-2016, 02:15 AM

To be fair it's only been one season with LMA.. Plus Splitter can't even stay on the floor now at all it seems so it's a win win getting rid of him. When healthy though and when on the beautiful game he was an asset to the team albeit a short time.

dabom
07-02-2016, 02:30 AM
Splitter went off in 2014. Was a bitch in 2013 and 2015. Good job we moved on.

Raven
07-02-2016, 03:42 AM
when you see every player coming off the rookie contract getting maxed out, even though they may not be franchise players and have not played a second of play off bball, it kinda lowers the value of building through the draft.

wut
07-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Sounded like the Clippers gave a good pitch to Durant...not sure what value Spurs can pitch that sounds better than the allure of LA. If Durant went to Clippers, Spurs would certainly be #3 in the West...lack of 3 point depth and porous defense (hoping Boban continues to improve but honestly he's not the fastest big).

I'd still anticipate Durant staying a year in OKC but he'll probably drop them next year for big cash...especially after seeing the crazy amount Conley got...which really ruins everyone's pursuits of good players without matching that much crazy cash...because you try telling a star he's worth less than Conley whow got 30 mil and isn't even an allstar!

cd98
07-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Spurs will put on a "great presentation" that will "blow Durant away," and then he'll say the same about the Celtics before announcing that he has agreed to terms with OKC.

tholdren
07-02-2016, 07:39 AM
:lol Today's "Built not bought" fans
Maybe - but what is worse is the people who think it's okay and necessary for the "stars" (who never won a ring) to be wooed. Drives me nuts. Don't take weak minds like that.