PDA

View Full Version : Death by autopilot

Wild Cobra
07-01-2016, 01:22 PM
First paragraph:

We learned yesterday evening that NHTSA is opening a preliminary evaluation into the performance of Autopilot during a recent fatal crash that occurred in a Model S. This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles. It is important to emphasize that the NHTSA action is simply a preliminary evaluation to determine whether the system worked according to expectations.

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/blog/tragic-loss?redirect=no

DJR210
07-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I read about this too.. I don't give a shit how many "millions of test miles" have been driven previous to this without an accident, putting yours and the lives of others in the hands of a computer is retarded. Automate my heating and air conditioning system, or my swimming pool cleaner.. not vehicles.

Bender
07-03-2016, 11:11 AM
I would never get in a self-driving car.

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2016, 11:31 AM
if u cant get a license to drive or still dont know how to drive after owning a license?

u have no business owning a car, let alone being on the road...go catch public transport/uber/bike kent

DMC
07-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I read about this too.. I don't give a shit how many "millions of test miles" have been driven previous to this without an accident, putting yours and the lives of others in the hands of a computer is retarded. Automate my heating and air conditioning system, or my swimming pool cleaner.. not vehicles.
Planes land all the time using computers. Much safer than humans. Driving will eventually be that way. Problem isn't the computers driven cars, but the human driven cars. You cannot predict what they will do. If every car was driven by a computer, there would be no speeding tickets, very very few traffic fatalities and the fuel savings would be enormous.

It's coming.

InRareForm
07-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Computers will only get smarter... Humans on the other hand will just have more distractions nearby them when trying to drive.

DAF86
07-06-2016, 01:08 AM
Planes land all the time using computers. Much safer than humans. Driving will eventually be that way. Problem isn't the computers driven cars, but the human driven cars. You cannot predict what they will do. If every car was driven by a computer, there would be no speeding tickets, very very few traffic fatalities and the fuel savings would be enormous.

It's coming.

Nop, because for many driving is something they enjoy. Unless you live in one of those overpopulated cities where driving should be one of your least worries behind not becoming a superstressed paranoid and breathing.