PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Reason players getting PAID: DVR

da_suns_fan
07-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Sports are basically the last program people still watch "live" and thus the last television media that advertisers are willing to PAY FOR.

Thats why the league got such a huge television deal. Thats why the salary cap shot up. The teams are mandated to spend ~50% of revenue on players.

Posters keep laughing at all these teams giving huge contracts to no-name guys.

They HAVE to. Its mandated by the CBA that they share their newfound riches. Players should thank the guy who invented TIVO.

07-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I watched TV outside of sports.

:lol today's TV

By this logic though, shouldn't the NFL get an even bigger TV deal?

Raven
07-02-2016, 01:23 PM
not sure that entails paying bad players though.

StrengthAndHonor
07-02-2016, 01:35 PM
not sure that entails paying bad players though.
Man, you don't even know how basic economics work?

Clipper Nation
07-02-2016, 01:47 PM
The salary cap/revenue excuse is bullshit. The cap won't keep exploding like it is now indefinitely; after next year, it's projected to go back to a more gradual, reasonable growth rate:

http://i.imgur.com/h3EHV1N.jpg

In a couple years, teams will be regretting all the money they just flushed down the shitter on below-average players. Overpaying for mediocrity has never been a winning strategy, and despite how insane the market has been this summer, it still isn't one.

Joseph Kony
07-02-2016, 01:47 PM
lol so teams HAVE to throw max money at shitty players like Chandler Parsons? :lol

no, players are getting money because the cap is going up, shitty teams have money to spend and are desperate for any talent they can nab and are willing to overpay for it. your saying the Lakers had to give Mozgov 18 million a season because people watch commercials? ok :lol

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Today's Entertainment :lol

K...
07-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Man, you don't even know how basic economics work?

No you can pay your own players instead.

I'm thinking I'd rather keep tanking and just give my guys a bonus than pay $$$$ for second tier players. You don't have to improve via free agency and most of the guys being signed won't help

DMC
07-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Today's "todays"

StrengthAndHonor
07-02-2016, 03:10 PM
No you can pay your own players instead.

I'm thinking I'd rather keep tanking and just give my guys a bonus than pay $$$$ for second tier players. You don't have to improve via free agency and most of the guys being signed won't help

Do you think this is good for the league? Ever thought of the players union?

InRareForm
07-02-2016, 03:18 PM

That's gradual? Looks better but Def not gradual.

Clipper Nation
07-02-2016, 04:08 PM
That's gradual? Looks better but Def not gradual.
Compared to this year and next, it's gradual.

da_suns_fan
07-02-2016, 04:14 PM
lol so teams HAVE to throw max money at shitty players like Chandler Parsons? :lol

no, players are getting money because the cap is going up, shitty teams have money to spend and are desperate for any talent they can nab and are willing to overpay for it. your saying the Lakers had to give Mozgov 18 million a season because people watch commercials? ok :lol

Because they have to watch commercials if they want to watch live.

Thats why revenue has shot up. Its not because of attendance, ticket prices, beer etc.

Its the TV deals. Look at the absurd TV deal the Lakers just got.

Its not basketball. Baseball players are also seeing absurd contracts due to the sweet TV deals.

Stalin
07-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Today's "todays"

0.2/10

InRareForm
07-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Albert Nahmad ‏@AlbertRandom1 1h1 hour ago

We've now reached $2.045 billion in total contract value, doled out to 34 players at an average salary per player per year of $16.6 million.

p.s. how do you post a tweet?

Thread
07-02-2016, 05:32 PM

We've now reached $2.045 billion in total contract value, doled out to 34 players at an average salary per player per year of $16.6 million.

Bend over. I'll fuckin' post a tweet.

Splits
07-02-2016, 06:48 PM

:lmao 7000 posts and can't post a tweet

[tweet ]tweetnumber[/tweet ]

Without the spaces. Tweetnumber is the last 18 digits in the tweet URL

Thread
07-02-2016, 08:25 PM
:lmao 7000 posts and can't post a tweet

[tweet ]tweetnumber[/tweet ]

Without the spaces. Tweetnumber is the last 18 digits in the tweet URL

They took away your carpet bomber, eh?

tee, hee.

Spurs9
07-02-2016, 09:28 PM
https://img.pandawhale.com/post-62416-The-Wire-Wee-Bey-Brice-OMG-WTF-tm9I.gif

Spurs9
07-02-2016, 09:31 PM
The salary cap/revenue excuse is bullshit. The cap won't keep exploding like it is now indefinitely; after next year, it's projected to go back to a more gradual, reasonable growth rate:

In a couple years, teams will be regretting all the money they just flushed down the shitter on below-average players. Overpaying for mediocrity has never been a winning strategy, and despite how insane the market has been this summer, it still isn't one.
Which is why I think its smart to avoid the crazy contracts over the next 2 years as it increases. We saw many horrid deals for many years, it will catch up to the teams, and the contracts will be hard to trade. Glad the Spurs didnt do any evan turner type deals this week.

Killakobe81
07-02-2016, 09:57 PM

This is where cn and i agree.
The lakers overspent period.
I dont hate mozgof i like deng but overpaying them is my issue if they got 44 and 50 million i am a happy lakers fan ..
But 64 and 72?
Pary of why state is so good steph is a bargain superstar.
Cavs have freakin lebron.
If you dont have lebron to build around or a star making less so others can get paid then you have no shot. And i dont mean old dudes like tim or dirk but young dudes outperforming their contracts

da_suns_fan
07-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Would you all rather they kept doling out contracts at the old rates and have the NBA lose ground to European leagues?

You think their television deals arent getting bigger?

This. Is. Capitalism.

Clipper Nation
07-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Would you all rather they kept doling out contracts at the old rates and have the NBA lose ground to European leagues?

You think their television deals arent getting bigger?

This. Is. Capitalism.
:lmao If you really think the NBA will ever "lose ground to the European leagues," you need to quit smoking that crack rock.

This might be a dumber take than "Dudley > Melo."

da_suns_fan
07-03-2016, 10:45 AM
:lmao If you really think the NBA will ever "lose ground to the European leagues," you need to quit smoking that crack rock.

This might be a dumber take than "Dudley > Melo."

If basketball salaries in Europe start approaching the salaries of soccer players, then yes.

And dont be a hater.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2016, 11:08 AM
If basketball salaries in Europe start approaching the salaries of soccer players, then yes.

And dont be a hater.
:lmao No. No stars in their prime are going to snub the NBA to waste their careers in the minor leagues abroad.

Just look at hockey. The KHL is bankrolled by Russian oligarchs with more money than God, yet the only people they can entice away from the NHL with big money are washed-up Russian players.

Hell, look at college hoops. If money was everything, every blue chip recruit would go play in Europe every year, as playing for some money > playing for free. But the only American prospects who go to Europe are the academically-ineligible retards who are running away from NCAA sanctions.

The exposure that comes from playing in the best league in the world against the top competition will always win out against the shitty Euroleagues.

07-03-2016, 03:44 PM
I understand why they're spending so much money, but some of the lengths of the contracts are head scratchers. Deng, Mozgov, etc getting 4 years guaranteed at their age is weird.

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2016, 11:55 PM
with the increase cap, this is what i dont get...why arent nba teams raiding europe talent? could give them bigger offers which can offset that 500k or whatever buyout...

yet they g o throw big money at scrubs/role players expecting them to carry franchise players duties?