PDA

View Full Version : Spurs overview: Will rookie be the difference-maker?

Kori Ellis
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Spurs overview: Will rookie be the difference-maker?
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

San Antonio Spurs Training Camp
Site: University of the Virgin Islands
Start date: Oct. 3
2004-05 Record: 59-23, 2nd in West

Editor's Note: To preview training camp and the 2005-06 season, John Hollinger addresses three key questions concerning the Spurs.

1. What can Manu do for an encore?

He took advantage of the rules changes that limited contact on the perimeter, giving an advantage to quicker players such as him. He boosted his scoring average by more than three points per game -- without an increase in minutes -- while his shooting percentage rocketed from 41.8 percent to 47.1 percent. Ginobili's production escalated as the year wore on, culminating in a dominating postseason. He also won numerous fans with his audacious style, signified by an around-the-back move for a clutch basket against Phoenix in the conference finals.

The Spurs need Ginobili to stay at this level in order to repeat, but that's not the sure bet it seems. He hadn't played at nearly this high a level in his two previous seasons before he erupted at the fairly late age of 27.

There's also the question of whether the refs will officiate the game the same way they did in 2004-05 or will begin backsliding as they focus on the new season's points of emphasis.

Finally, there's the risk of injury. Ginobili's hard-driving style results in his taking a pounding, as evidenced by the bruised thigh that limited him in Games 3, 4 and 5 of the Finals. Thus, one has to wonder whether he'll hold up through another season.

Although San Antonio's concerns are trivial compared with those of most teams, Ginobili is one to keep an eye on.

2. Where do the new guys fit in?

San Antonio bolstered the roster in the offseason with three acquisitions -- point guard Nick Van Exel, swingman Michael Finley, and big man Fabricio Oberto.

Finley was the biggest catch, although his production diminished in his final season in Dallas. The Spurs will hope he can bounce back after offseason surgery for bone spurs in his ankle and regain some of the hops from his younger days. Even if he doesn't, Finley is a good outside shooter who rarely turns the ball over, so he should fit in easily as the Spurs' sixth man. His main adjustments will be learning how to come off the bench and getting used to the shuttle substitution methods of Gregg Popovich.

Van Exel might not see much action during the regular season, but he is Popovich's insurance policy if Beno Udrih flames out in the playoffs again (plus, signing Van Exel helped lure his former teammate Finley).

Instead, the most important addition might be the most unknown player of the group, Oberto. The big man from Argentina might be leaned on to play big minutes so the Spurs can keep Robert Horry fresh for the postseason, particularly if the Spurs decide to phase Rasho Nesterovic out of the rotation. Oberto has played in Spain the past few seasons, putting up very solid numbers, although -- unusually for a Spur -- his reputation is mainly as an offensive player.

3. Will Pop get his props?

Phil Jackson is the Zen Master. Larry Brown is a tormented genius. Pat Riley is the great motivator.

But Popovich? There's no mystique attached to him. He just wins. He now has claimed three championships in the past seven seasons and looks to be a good bet to make it four out of eight. So why doesn't his name come up more often when people talk about great coaches?

Part of the reason is Popovich's style. While most top coaches have egos the size of Greenland, Pop is content to let his players take the accolades and to remain anonymously in the background. You won't find Popovich comparing his playoff opponent to jackals or openly interviewing for another job in the midst of a playoff series, and it keeps his name off our radar.

Yet is there another coach who gets more from his team than Popovich? Yes, it helps to have Duncan, but consider this: The Spurs also have a winning record in games when Duncan doesn't play. That's because Popovich has sold his players on a selfless style that puts defense and teamwork ahead of individual accomplishments, making his squad the favorite to repeat in 2005-06.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. His new book, "Pro Basketball Forecast: 2005-06," is now available at both Amazon.com and Potomac Books, Inc.

OFFSEASON PLAYER MOVEMENT
Players lost: Devin Brown, Linton Johnson, Mike Wilks
Players re-signed: Robert Horry
Players added: Michael Finley, Sean Marks, Fabricio Oberto, Nick Van Exel

Kori Ellis
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
They have these breakdowns on all the teams. I'm not going to post them all, but if you really want a team -- name it, and I'll try to post it here.

TheTruth
10-03-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm more comfortable with Manu's health now that he has finally taken a summer off.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Manu also said today that he spent 3-4 weeks with Brungy this summer establishing a better workout routine .. lifting weights, getting stronger. I'm not too worried about him either.

boutons
10-03-2005, 07:11 PM
1. He makes Manu's effectiveness sound like it was due to rule changes and officiating. Fuck off.

Manu blossomed in his 3rd season,
no first half of the season lost to a bad ankle,
no BS about getting demoted to 6th man,
made the coaches' All-Star team,
For many people, Manu was the Finals MVP,
now he is completely convinced and confirmed as a very top NBA star.

For an encore, Manu will play the same, which is good enough, but very probably he will bet better. The team needs him, yes, and he will be there. Why is there any question? Because Hollinger sucks.

2. The new guys are well-known quantities. It's up to them to fit in. If anybody can fit them in, it's Pop and the Spurs. If they don't fit it, the Spurs don't need them.

3. Who cares if Pop gets accolades? Pop doesn't. What kind of BS point is that? He wins, he get rings, he's on his way to the Hall of Fame as one of the NBA's most successful coaches and ogranization builders.

manubili
10-03-2005, 07:22 PM
He doesn´t take in care that Manu was MVP in the euroleage, and have had great perfomances in 2002 Word Championship. The last season wasn't a exception, that's the way he NORMALLY plays. I'm much more worried about TP.

I agree that Oberto is the most significant catch in the post season. We need a reliable center, and now we have three very different options.

kolko
10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
although -- unusually for a Spur -- his reputation is mainly as an offensive player.

Oberto an offensive player? I think he confused him with Scola.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Manu also said today that he spent 3-4 weeks with Brungy this summer establishing a better workout routine .. lifting weights, getting stronger. I'm not too worried about him either.

I still dont understand why Manu just doesn't become a big fat chode for an entire summer and gain HARDCORE muscle like all those creatine/supplement addicted fools who lift weights hours upon hours.

He needs the extra padding, and with alot more upper and lower body strength he'll finish stronger and would be even less fragile

thats just my opinion. i worry about him.

Nikos
10-03-2005, 10:16 PM
They have these breakdowns on all the teams. I'm not going to post them all, but if you really want a team -- name it, and I'll try to post it here.

Kori I ordered his book, is this what he says about Manu in his book verbatim? What does he say about the Spurs main players?

Is Manu under the FLUKE rule link?

slayermin
10-03-2005, 10:17 PM

From what I have seen of Oberto, he isn't a defensive juggernaut so I don't have a problem with his analysis.

hendrix
10-03-2005, 10:25 PM

I had the same reaction... "Whaaat??" :)
We've seen play Oberto a lot and know he's a great defender.

Mark in Austin
10-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Written like a man with only a casual knowledge of the team and the events of this summer. I expected more from Hollinger.

phyzik
10-04-2005, 02:48 AM
I still dont understand why Manu just doesn't become a big fat chode for an entire summer and gain HARDCORE muscle like all those creatine/supplement addicted fools who lift weights hours upon hours.

He needs the extra padding, and with alot more upper and lower body strength he'll finish stronger and would be even less fragile

Well, basically, muscle helps but it can slow you down.

If you want a good example, pay attention to boxing... Especially when a boxer wants to move up in weight. They may have dominated in their current weight class, but once they move up they are the underdog.

Its funny to put it this way but it makes sense. Imagine school, once you hit 5th grade in elementry you are the cream of the crop for that school. Next year you are at the bottom again even though you moved up in class. Once you hit 8th grade you are at the top again, next year you are at the bottom yet again.

Honestly, I dont know where I was going with that :smokin

Anyway, If Manu (or any other Spurs member for that matter) was to significantly change in weight, their game would be severly effected. You might be thinking "well, I dont want him to become a Tpark" but that doesnt matter. :spin

Manu relies on his speed and agility to score and defend. I dare you to go play a regular basketball game, then as a simulation add ankle and wrist weights as well as a flak jacket, then try to play again. It changes your game Significantly. Thats what your suggesting Manu to do.

He just would not be able to ever again do the things he does now. he is like Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was always a small guy but he could definately kick any of our asses no matter how big.

On that note, I would like to point out Im on my 10th beer with nothing to eat for the last 7 hours, if this doesnt make sense I apologize and will be completely suprised if I made a coherent arguement because it honestly looks like giberish to me at this point. :drunk

Rummpd
10-04-2005, 06:00 AM
To Can't be Faded:

Manu has wiry strength like a soccer player or many lightweight boxers, he is tougher than he looks I guarantee and the risk from heavy lifting would be an alteration of his style = not worth the risk/benefit!

DesiSpur_21
10-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Honestly, most of guys who cover NBA as a whole doesn't seem to have a great research team to help them out. It's not a knock on them because practically it's tough to cover NBA-wide. It's just the way they operate and print their analysis. So I am okay with whatever this guy sees +es and -es on any team.

Having said that, I think David Aldridge (too bad espn couldn't retain him while jackasses are burning their mouths and writing sh1t), Marty Burns and Marc Stein do more than a decent job when they write something about an NBA team. They seem to have GOOD local contacts to get reliable info.

grjr
10-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Manu has wiry strength like a soccer player

http://home.satx.rr.com/alphadeals/Wiry.jpg

nkdlunch
10-04-2005, 09:30 AM

are u serious????

do you really think he'll be able to contract his body w/that extra bulk?? his flexibility is his major strength

Remember "Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger"

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
To everyone tho replied to me:

Perhaps I was exagerrating too much. I realize Manu has to have some strength, and that a shitload of bulk will slow him down. But you can't really say he's toned what he already has. I mean, if he came to training camp ripped, not so much HUGE, but CUT, how would this hinder his game in any way?

He'd be stronger, and if he threw in some explosive, power training while getting cut, should not hinder him in any way