PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article 7/4/2016

ElNono
07-04-2016, 02:31 AM
I felt comfortable all season and I'm healthy: Why not keep going?
By Manu Ginobili

Truth be told, my decision to continue playing in the NBA it's because I felt great throughout last season. It was much easier to make that decision in no small part because of that. I had a good time, I enjoyed my minutes on the court. Even though the end wasn't the one we expected with the Spurs, that can't just erase everything that happened earlier. At a different time of my career, not winning the championship or losing a bit earlier than expected would have put the whole season in the disappointment column. Nowadays I experience these things in a different light. We played great for a long stretch of the season, I felt comfortable all season and I'm healthy, I can't think why I shouldn't keep on going. Well, that's what I value the most at this time. I value it above all.

I felt that I was useful to the team. That's why it didn't take long to thing about continuing. Now it's time to wait and see how things develop. I understand it's a delicate moment, because free agency just started and, as it normally happens, you have to wait until the "big fish" sign first. I'm aware my team is seeking Kevin Durant's services. So the way this works is those kind of players are signed up first, and then there's a cascade effect, where the rest of the deals are signed. It's a completely understandable situation. It's logical that the first order is to cover fundamental roles. It's not the time for news for me. I did talk to Pop: he told me he wanted me back, that he'd like if I could keep going, and there's no doubt San Antonio has priority for me. I'd love to get back home because that's what the Spurs have always been to me. But well, we have to wait and see how everything works out. Because besides Durant, they're looking for a Center. I have to be patient. I'm counting that they want me back, but we have to see how the cards are played.

There's no doubt that the rumors about the free agents the Spurs are after makes me even more enthusiastic, but all that is also multiplied because I've been living there for 14 years. I feel at home, I know the system, I identify it as mine, everybody knows how I feel about Pop. It's my priority and I would prefer not to play somewhere else, but I can't disregard the fact that they might have different options on the table too.

I'm enjoying this so much that I don't even think if this is going to be my last season or not. If I feel better this season than the previous one, why stop playing? I've been taking every season like the last one for a while now. When July 2017 comes around again, I'll sit down and think about it again.

... (the rest of the article is about the Argentina NT)

Original in Spanish:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1915122-me-senti-comodo-todo-el-ano-y-estoy-sano-por-que-no-seguir-adelante

siraulo23
07-04-2016, 02:35 AM
:tu

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 02:37 AM
:td

siraulo23
07-04-2016, 02:38 AM
^ :lol

apalisoc_9
07-04-2016, 02:41 AM
I really hope he reconsiders how the team plays when leonard is on the floor otherwise he really needs to GTFO. I'm sick and tired of his BS "team play" that was so detrimental in the OKC Series and against the top teams in the Regular season...

That ball movement laizez faire offense shtick is dead...Specially when the personel are way too bad (specially the bench) to make it work.

I can it being the most effective way of attacking if Leonard is not on the floor and Manu is playing with TP and DG..Otherwise..Manu and the gang should GTFO of that BS.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Sounds like Manu wants to keep playing as long as he feels good and stays healthy. Hopefully Argentina loses quickly in the Olympics so his body doesnt give out in the regular season.

hooperflash
07-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Manu knows.

SAGirl
07-04-2016, 02:45 AM
Thanks for doing this ElNono I am too lazy right now and I know you do these beautifully anyways. :tu

Spurs 4 The Win
07-04-2016, 02:46 AM
I really hope he reconsiders how the team plays when leonard is on the floor otherwise he really needs to GTFO. I'm sick and tired of his BS "team play" that was so detrimental in the OKC Series and against the top teams in the Regular season...

That ball movement laizez faire offense shtick is dead...Specially when the personel are way too bad (specially the bench) to make it work.

I can it being the most effective way of attacking if Leonard is not on the floor and Manu is playing with TP and DG..Otherwise..Manu and the gang should GTFO of that BS.

Im so fucking tired of your shit takes and making everything about Leonard. You are a new era fan that is telling a fucking legend that is going up in the rafters to GTFO. You are a classless moron. Every year that we can have Manu's leadership and competitive spirit on our roster is a huge bonus for the whole team. You are a fucking clown.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2016, 02:49 AM
Im so fucking tired of your shit takes and making everything about Leonard. You are a new era fan that is telling a fucking legend that is going up in the rafters to GTFO. You are a classless moron. Every year that we can have Manu's leadership and competitive spirit on our roster is a huge bonus for the whole team. You are a fucking clown.

Typical big 3 nostaliga fans..Even Chicaritos biggest fan TheGreatyach can attest to my Manu homage, but this team can't live of the past.

I do not want manu to be running any plays at All when leonard is on the floor...He's atrocious. turns the ball over like crazy..

He can't be playing this year expecting the offense will be run according to his strenghts. He's a role player that needs to adjust...

-21-
07-04-2016, 02:50 AM
He says Pop is looking for a center... Does that mean Tim is gone? :depressed

Mouth is Bleeding
07-04-2016, 02:52 AM
Typical big 3 nostaliga fans..Even Chicaritos biggest fan TheGreatyach can attest to my Manu homage, but this team can't live of the past.

I do not want manu to be running any plays at All when leonard is on the floor...He's atrocious. turns the ball over like crazy..

He can't be playing this year expecting the offense will be run according to his strenghts. He's a role player that needs to adjust...

Have you lost your mind? There isn't a more unselfish player than Manu. He loves to give it up but lack of pick n roll and lack of spacing/shooting didn't help things.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-04-2016, 02:55 AM
More ball movement and spacing would also help Kawhi. Not mention that this is what winning basketbal is.

Even a total beast like Kawhi will eventually not be able to be effective at elite level playing both full effort D and relentlessly attacking solo on offense.

Even Lebron had that happen to him.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Have you lost your mind? There isn't a more unselfish player than Manu. He loves to give it up but lack of pick n roll and lack of spacing/shooting didn't help things.

Manu likes to give it up when he's handling the ball..The problem with him is that he can't seem to get into his thick skull that his isn't a 2012 spurs..He keeps on passing the ball to shitty players instead of getting Leonard involved who btw is hardly involved when Ginobili is on the court..He also ignores Aldriidge so he can the pass the ball to who d-west?

niggga still thinks 2012 offense works

SAGirl
07-04-2016, 02:57 AM
He says Pop is looking for a center... Does that mean Tim is gone? :depressed
He doesn't mention any names whatsoever. There's a lot of speculation in the general off-season thread about it. Personally I think the Spurs are really after Gasol big time bc of Timmy. The reports are that he's considering retirement more than he ever has. It would open Manu mentally to play somewhere else too think about it. We will just have to wait and see what Timmy does. They are definitely on their own individual tracks IMO at this point.

dabom
:tu

Op a top 3 poster.

apalisoc_9
More ball movement and spacing would also help Kawhi. Not mention that this is what winning basketbal lis.

Even a total beast like Kawhi will eventually not be able to be effective at elite level playing both full effort D and relentlessly attacking solo on offense.

Even Lebron had that happen to him.

The difference being with Cle ball movement is that it's actually structured to get the best players on the move. The spurs ball movement is structured to have a more laizzes faire approach...meaning you can have Leonard not touch the ball when he plays with the bench for stretches or Aldridge not getting any pops.

cutewizard
07-04-2016, 03:02 AM
Manu is like Jon Snow

YOU CANT PUT A GOOD MAN DOWN! hahahahahahahahaha

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 03:02 AM
Apo is right, tbh. Manu is a ball dominant player and Pop always relies on him to create for whoever is on the floor with him. That's not his game anymore, and hasn't been since 2014. Yet Pop will go down with Manu till the end.

Maybe Manu takes a paycut (unlikely) and has a reduced role (even more unlikely), but if he doesn't and is still used the same way... Spurs are better off going young or we'll another Joseph situation with Murray. A slow improvement since he's behind Manu in the rotation and spending so much time trying to be a fit with Manu's play style that by the time he's developed, he'll be a free agent and we wont be able to keep him.

ElNono
07-04-2016, 03:14 AM
I'm sure Manu is just doing what Pop tells him to do... there's only one video of Pop yelling at a certain player to give the ball to Kawhi, tbh...

I think a lot of what is going to make or break the 2nd unit next season will be Boris... if we get last season's Boris, it's just not going to work out, and we'll just be going for more ISOs (not Manu, but Kawhi/LMA if they're in there). On the other hand, Boris being sharp really makes us a different team. Also excited to see what we replace West with. When he talks about a Center, i don't think it necessarily means for starting. There's no doubt that going with two undersized bigs off the bench costs us dearly defensively. Having a true 7 footer next to Boris that's not foul prone and has a rep for blocking shots and protecting the paint makes a lot of sense for that 2nd unit. Maybe Boban will blossom into that, but maybe not, so looking for a more seasoned guy at that position makes sense, IMO.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2016, 03:25 AM
Relying on fat fuck BORIS :lmao

that lazy bum needs to be traded. Cant believe kawhi start to his mid 20s would be with has beens and guys that cant motivate themselves to win..

Great supporting cast you're building around yiur franchise :sarcasm

Spur|n|Austin
07-04-2016, 03:28 AM
Thanks ElNono

spurs10
07-04-2016, 03:28 AM
I'm sure Manu is just doing what Pop tells him to do... there's only one video of Pop yelling at a certain player to give the ball to Kawhi, tbh...

I think a lot of what is going to make or break the 2nd unit next season will be Boris... if we get last season's Boris, it's just not going to work out, and we'll just be going for more ISOs (not Manu, but Kawhi/LMA if they're in there). On the other hand, Boris being sharp really makes us a different team. Also excited to see what we replace West with. When he talks about a Center, i don't think it necessarily means for starting. There's no doubt that going with two undersized bigs off the bench costs us dearly defensively. Having a true 7 footer next to Boris that's not foul prone and has a rep for blocking shots and protecting the paint makes a lot of sense for that 2nd unit. Maybe Boban will blossom into that, but maybe not, so looking for a more seasoned guy at that position makes sense, IMO. Muchimas gracias El NoNo! Great to hear he's coming back. I too don't think his mention of us looking for a Center necessarily means Tim is gone. I have a strong feeling we'll nab Pau and Tim will return. If Diaw stays and plays with passion that's a step up whether Tim plays with the bench and Pau starts or vice versa.

Spur|n|Austin
07-04-2016, 03:32 AM
Muchimas gracias El NoNo! Great to hear he's coming back. I too don't think his mention of us looking for a Center necessarily means Tim is gone. I have a strong feeling we'll nab Pau and Tim will return. If Diaw stays and plays with passion that's a step up whether Tim plays with the bench and Pau starts or vice versa.

This is what we all hope

BillMc
07-04-2016, 04:09 AM
Cheers to OP for doing this.

SAGirl
07-04-2016, 04:10 AM

I think a lot of what is going to make or break the 2nd unit next season will be Boris... if we get last season's Boris, it's just not going to work out, and we'll just be going for more ISOs (not Manu, but Kawhi/LMA if they're in there). On the other hand, Boris being sharp really makes us a different team. Also excited to see what we replace West with. When he talks about a Center, i don't think it necessarily means for starting. There's no doubt that going with two undersized bigs off the bench costs us dearly defensively. Having a true 7 footer next to Boris that's not foul prone and has a rep for blocking shots and protecting the paint makes a lot of sense for that 2nd unit. Maybe Boban will blossom into that, but maybe not, so looking for a more seasoned guy at that position makes sense, IMO.
But they already have Boban and if they wanted to keep him they really, really could, and the reports were that both team and player looked forward to getting back together. However, Boban pulled out of international competition on advice of his rep. Notice how Manu is not concerned about that, but Boban with a more uncertain future was held out. I think Pop could have easily played Boban more through the season, he didn't bc he had committed to D west. When playoffs came around Boban wasn't ready to be a big part of them, but neither were the guys around him to cover for him. If you play Boban, maybe you need different defensive schemes, guys have to rotate sharper to cover him on PnR etc. It wasn't something guys were used to bc they didn't play Boban the entire season, but I am sure Boban can play in the league.
Heck, Baynes is a bench big and is not that much more agile. Now starting him is a different matter.

But it's speculation. We have to wait for Tim. Maybe Spurs come out of FA with neither Durant, nor Gasol unfortunately and Manu will get paid what he wants. It's possible the entire nebula he threw on that subject just means that if the Spurs strike out in the targets they are after, Manu knows he will get a good sized contract anyways, but he also sounded very open to playing the field.

MaNu4Tres
07-04-2016, 06:39 AM
I felt comfortable all season and I'm healthy: Why not keep going?
By Manu Ginobili

Truth be told, my decision to continue playing in the NBA it's because I felt great throughout last season. It was much easier to make that decision in no small part because of that. I had a good time, I enjoyed my minutes on the court. Even though the end wasn't the one we expected with the Spurs, that can't just erase everything that happened earlier. At a different time of my career, not winning the championship or losing a bit earlier than expected would have put the whole season in the disappointment column. Nowadays I experience these things in a different light. We played great for a long stretch of the season, I felt comfortable all season and I'm healthy, I can't think why I shouldn't keep on going. Well, that's what I value the most at this time. I value it above all.

I felt that I was useful to the team. That's why it didn't take long to thing about continuing. Now it's time to wait and see how things develop. I understand it's a delicate moment, because free agency just started and, as it normally happens, you have to wait until the "big fish" sign first. I'm aware my team is seeking Kevin Durant's services. So the way this works is those kind of players are signed up first, and then there's a cascade effect, where the rest of the deals are signed. It's a completely understandable situation. It's logical that the first order is to cover fundamental roles. It's not the time for news for me. I did talk to Pop: he told me he wanted me back, that he'd like if I could keep going, and there's no doubt San Antonio has priority for me. I'd love to get back home because that's what the Spurs have always been to me. But well, we have to wait and see how everything works out. Because besides Durant, they're looking for a Center. I have to be patient. I'm counting that they want me back, but we have to see how the cards are played.

There's no doubt that the rumors about the free agents the Spurs are after makes me even more enthusiastic, but all that is also multiplied because I've been living there for 14 years. I feel at home, I know the system, I identify it as mine, everybody knows how I feel about Pop. It's my priority and I would prefer not to play somewhere else, but I can't disregard the fact that they might have different options on the table too.

I'm enjoying this so much that I don't even think if this is going to be my last season or not. If I feel better this season than the previous one, why stop playing? I've been taking every season like the last one for a while now. When July 2017 comes around again, I'll sit down and think about it again.

... (the rest of the article is about the Argentina NT)

Original in Spanish:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1915122-me-senti-comodo-todo-el-ano-y-estoy-sano-por-que-no-seguir-adelante

Thanks Nono.

hsxvvd
07-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Manu is like Jon Snow

YOU CANT PUT A GOOD MAN DOWN! hahahahahahahahaha

Durant = Little finger @ the battle of the bastards

tholdren
07-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Manu is the best

BatManu20
07-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks OP :tu

elemento
07-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Seems like Manu is anticipating the possibility of leaving SA for big money. I don't blame him, but it would be sad for me as a SA fan that follow his whole career as a Spur.

TGY already doing the dirty work writing as "gorditofacheraso" :lol

La Nacion needs MODs out there badly. It's sad that Manu put his time to write an article and you see some ridiculous comments, even a fucking whore with a propaganda seriously.

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Seems like Manu is anticipating the possibility of leaving SA for big money. I don't blame him, but it would be sad for me as a SA fan that follow his whole career as a Spur.

La Nacion needs MODs out there badly. It's sad that Manu put his time to write an article and you see some ridiculous comments, even a fucking whore with a propaganda seriously.
Those South American website commenters are terrible, makes Spurstalk look like a Naruto forum :lol
urunobili knows

Kikoluna
07-04-2016, 08:45 AM
To quote the great legalos in lord of the rings, " you owe him your allegiance"
Manu can stay as long as his wants. These new 14-18 year old kids don't remember that night against the Suns in 2005. Forgive them

tmtcsc
07-04-2016, 08:49 AM
:td

You love it.

http://media.giphy.com/media/uYxQmptRn2RYA/giphy.gif

tmtcsc
07-04-2016, 09:05 AM
At a different time of my career, not winning the championship or losing a bit earlier than expected would have put the whole season in the disappointment column. Nowadays I experience these things in a different light.

This is what bothers me about "older" Manu's attitude. I still like what he brings to the team but he clearly isn't the maniacal competitor he used to be. Being ok with last season is not ok. The Spurs need some Nasty and Hunger and will have to rely on it from other players unfortunately. Hopefully Aldridge and Leonard can bring it.

bklynspursfan
07-04-2016, 09:12 AM

Gotta use that ignore list. It'll hide a lot of the stuff on here

bklynspursfan
07-04-2016, 09:14 AM
This is what bothers me about "older" Manu's attitude. I still like what he brings to the team but he clearly isn't the maniacal competitor he used to be. Being ok with last season is not ok. The Spurs need some Nasty and Hunger and will have to rely on it from other players unfortunately. Hopefully Aldridge and Leonard can bring it.

I know he had it after 2013. I'm guessing 2014 changed his mindset lol. But maybe if Tim comes back and tells them it'll be his last run, that'll light some kind of fire under him and the team

Keepin' it real
07-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I know he had it after 2013. I'm guessing 2014 changed his mindset lol. But maybe if Tim comes back and tells them it'll be his last run, that'll light some kind of fire under him and the team

If Manu or anyone needs Tim to come back so they can get their fire lit, then there's a problem.

houston spurs fan
07-04-2016, 09:49 AM
1 down, 1 more to go...

houston spurs fan
07-04-2016, 09:49 AM

We don't need bandwagon Canucks around here. You should GTFO.

look_at_g_shred
07-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Manu will always be my favorite spur! One more ride!!

SPURt
07-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks Nono! If Manu pulls an Olajuwon on us I'm going to be sad:

http://prohoopsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Screen-shot-2010-09-18-at-2.19.04-PM.png

SAGirl
07-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I thought the same. What's more I think that attitude is maybe shared by others too. Some veterans grew complacent like Boris. Manu competes always when he is on the floor, but th burden is no longer on him. As long as he had a good regular season he is fine, that's not the mentality of a sixth man. We nee some real hungry guys TBH that are nit going to be satisfied with blending in and being ok. Maybe that's a younger guy.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-04-2016, 11:01 AM

Would you shut the fuck up?

We lost the series because of our midrange game and ISO-ball. That includes Kawhi. He didn't step up. Again.

beirmeistr
07-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Manu is going to be 39 this month. It is unrealistic to expect him to play in a maniacal manner. Although I wouldn't doubt that he wants to, he wouldn't last long without injuring himself. I'm sure Pop has told him to tone it down. Manu still takes charges at his age. I can't remember the last year that a certain pg took a charge.

kjhip1
07-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Be tragic if he went to GS!

ElNono
07-04-2016, 12:15 PM

We have had a lot of bench filler that never been nasty or hungry (ie: hi Matt), and only along for the ride. But there's still a role for all those guys, be it mentoring, exploiting a matchup, hitting a big shot, feeding the hot hand, etc. It's limited minutes now, and limited role. He seems to be fine with that, and he's a guy that can still bring some magic to the game in small doses here or there, so why not have him back?

It's the fans that needs to adjust to the fact that SuperManu is no longer with us, and he rests in the glory of our championship DVDs. It's about enjoying and celebrating he's still around. Hope Tim comes back for another ride too.

ducks
07-04-2016, 12:40 PM

watch him go to dallas of big money

elemento
07-04-2016, 01:14 PM
watch him go to dallas of big money

That would be disgusting. I very much doubt it. Dallas will probably spend all their money on Barnes, Bogut and Dirk.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't mind if Manu goes to the Cavs, tbh..they desperately need a guy to create a little for 10 MPG when Lebron/Irving sit..

Too bad they have no $, though:lol

ducks
07-04-2016, 02:19 PM
maybe spurs can do a sign and trade with him

TD 21
07-04-2016, 03:42 PM

What team play? It was the Leonard and Aldridge show, mostly out of necessity, but still.

It would be nice, if they had a better option for ball handling/play making than Parker and Ginobili, but they don't, so they're going to have to continue to shoulder the load in that area.

TMTTRIO
07-04-2016, 04:24 PM
to be fair Manu still competed and in that one game who knew that charge he would take in order to get a win would send him to the hospital and require surgery. Unfortunately that really slowed him down afterwards. I think he would make a great mentor to the younger players.

ace3g
07-04-2016, 08:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/505057583644672000/XEHOg6P4_bigger.jpeg Federico Susbielles ‏@fsusbielles (https://twitter.com/fsusbielles)

Argentina #RumboARio (https://twitter.com/hashtag/RumboARio?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/100Days/100Days.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/RumboARio?src=hash) #Dia1 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dia1?src=hash) #SimplementeGracias (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SimplementeGracias?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmkEmRoXgAAMTAz.jpg

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2016, 02:18 AM
Kyle's been getting held back by Manure this whole time. Not surprising, he held Joseph back too.

Manure's best chance at playing in the NBA again is trying out for a D-League team, tbh. He's not even better than Bryce Cotton at this point.

Canyonero
07-05-2016, 12:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/505057583644672000/XEHOg6P4_bigger.jpeg Federico Susbielles ‏@fsusbielles (https://twitter.com/fsusbielles)

Argentina #RumboARio (https://twitter.com/hashtag/RumboARio?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/100Days/100Days.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/RumboARio?src=hash) #Dia1 (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dia1?src=hash) #SimplementeGracias (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SimplementeGracias?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmkEmRoXgAAMTAz.jpg

Golden generation :cry

Ice009
07-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Manu's wearing KDs still. lol.